Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And we’re back!

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And we’re back!

Sorry about the issues.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Yay!

Seem to have lost a few days mind you...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    Yay!

We're back.

There are still a few issues, but we're back.
  • Options

Yay!

We have... No loss there.

My forecast, Kamala Harris gets the VP nod.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Congratulations! I usually use VF so haven't been affected. A treat from Matt:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1293946800886501384?s=20
  • Options
    Well done. That looked painful
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yay!

Really? Not a prayer.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I still find it incredible that the England death rate is down to under 10 per day by death date, if this information had been revealed sooner how much more economically confident would individuals and businesses feel? I think the PHE has cost us 2-3% of the recovery and necessitated schemes like eat out to help out, it was such a bad decision not to have an end date of the virus and their protests and trying to force a 60 day measure was awful. Glad that the DoH has stood firm and insisted on the internationally comparable measure rather than something cooked up to make everyone stay home to "protect the NHS".
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yay!

Really? Not a prayer.
    Yeah the insiders are definitely piling in on Rice, no other explanation.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    rcs1000 said:

Yay!

We're back.

There are still a few issues, but we're back.

Many thanks Robert.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I still find it incredible that the England death rate is down to under 10 per day by death date, if this information had been revealed sooner how much more economically confident would individuals and businesses feel? I think the PHE has cost us 2-3% of the recovery and necessitated schemes like eat out to help out, it was such a bad decision not to have an end date of the virus and their protests and trying to force a 60 day measure was awful. Glad that the DoH has stood firm and insisted on the internationally comparable measure rather than something cooked up to make everyone stay home to "protect the NHS".

" “The ideology of zero risk is dangerous,” says Yonathan Freund, a Sorbonne professor and Editor of the European Journal of Emergency Medicine "

Telegraph
  • Options
    If PB has been hacked, how can we be assured of the safety of our login details. @MikeSmithson was your SQL db compromised?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

The death rate isn't, of course, a good measure of risk, given the time lag. Fine when case numbers are falling, but when case numbers are rising the death rate is painting a picture three to four weeks out of date.
    It might not be, but the death figure is what gets the headlines and fear of dying is what keeps people at home. If the public had known that the deaths per day had fallen to 20 in early July would they have been as scared to venture out to pubs and restaurants, would Rishi have had to put inducements in place?

PHE's dishonesty on this key statistic has been appalling and it was designed to keep the public scared and at home to "save the NHS". They still tried to do it by insisting on a 60 day window which is also far too long, the leading Oxford scientist says 21 days is enough to know whether than person died of COVID or not, we used 28 days because it's the international standard in Europe and the other home nations.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    edited August 2020

If PB has been hacked, how can we be assured of the safety of our login details. @MikeSmithson was your SQL db compromised?

You can't expect Mike to run a database and make notes using pen and paper as well.

( I might just be self projecting an ageist thing here. If I really want to be sure I still write stuff down)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1293957510618021888

Red wall MP, I wonder how this will go down with her constituents
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

Vanilla is a separate platform. I doubt the main site even knows what your login is, not to mention your password.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020
    Harris will be President either in 2024 or before, I think.

She's an interesting figure, tending - in the past, at least - to the right on issues like the justice system and policing, and strongly to the left on issues like environmentalism and trade unions.

I wonder how similar Starmer will turn out to be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Vanilla is a separate platform. I doubt the main site even knows what your login is, not to mention your password.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I've changed my password regardless.
  • Options

RobD said:

You mean speculation, right? Good idea.. even if it hasn't been compromised.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    MaxPB said:

it was such a bad decision not to have an end date of the virus

o_O ?!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh I assumed you knew for sure. No worries.

Luckily for me I use different passwords on every site and I use a password manager, so I am unlikely to have any other accounts compromised.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Oh I assumed you knew for sure. No worries.

Luckily for me I use different passwords on every site and I use a password manager, so I am unlikely to have any other accounts compromised.
    Well, it wasn't speculation about the distinction between the site and Vanilla. I think the site runs on wordpress.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,607
    edited August 2020

Sevenoaks is an interesting definition of the Red Wall. 😉
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417

RobD said:

If I start posting how we all need to wear masks everywhere then I have been hacked
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Just superb.

Sadly I have been forced to do actual work today in the absence of PB life’s brutal sometimes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sevenoaks is an interesting definition of the Red Wall.
    My mistake, I confused her with another MP. My bad!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just superb.

Sadly I have been forced to do actual work today in the absence of PB life’s brutal sometimes.
    Matt has excelled today - made my day
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    @MaxPB is right about the effects of the PHE scandal.

I’m not certain he is right that it was deliberate, but there should certainly be an investigation.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

" “The ideology of zero risk is dangerous,” says Yonathan Freund, a Sorbonne professor and Editor of the European Journal of Emergency Medicine "

Telegraph
    This is the problem when you ask scientists to make the decisions rather than simply giving advice.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Andy_JS said:

Indeed, she had a 20,818 majority in Sevenoaks last year.

Sevenoaks was also comfortably Tory even in 1997 and 2001, if anything it is Blue Wall not Red Wall
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Is it safe to come out yet?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Sorry for making a point out of it. Everyone makes mistakes.
  • Options

yes bit you have to wear a mask if you post too close to others
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Sorry for making a point out of it. Everyone makes mistakes.
    That's okay mate, you keep me on my toes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited August 2020

She's an interesting figure, tending - in the past, at least - to the right on issues like the justice system and policing, and strongly to the left on issues like environmentalism and trade unions.

If Biden-Harris wins it would be a big boost to Starmer much like the election of Clinton and Gore in 1992 was to New Labour and then Blair.

If Trump loses that is also bad news for Boris as it kills off any chance of a swift UK and US FTA as a Biden and Harris administration would focus on doing a deal with the EU first and put us, in Obama's words 'to the back of the queue' if his VP became Potus
  • Options

@MaxPB is right about the effects of the PHE scandal.

I’m not certain he is right that it was deliberate, but there should certainly be an investigation.

I think it was, they wanted as high a number possible to keep people scared of going outside. It also had the happy coincidence of making the government look bad.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

RobD said:

If I start posting how we all need to wear masks everywhere then I have been hacked
    Or calling people gammons the whole time - ☺
  • Options

Supposing though that Biden loses? I can't see her having the legs to go beyond that. Biden losing is sort of 50/50 (obviously I know how the markets price it)

Biden winning and being a catastrophe is also a factor.

Kamala doing something daft is a lesser factor.

KH to be President in 2024? I'd back her at 100, and would think about 20s.

I'd lay all you want at 'will be'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    HYUFD said:

a Biden and Harris administration would focus on doing a deal with the EU first and put us, in Obama's words 'to the back of the queue' if his VP became Potus

Remember this post everyone.
  • Options

Tried to respond to Opinium survey just now.

First screen:
    Confirm "I am not a robot" by ticking this box

(ticked)

Second screen:

"In view of your responses to the previous question, you are unfortunately not eligible to take part in this survey."

Asimov did warn us that the robots would take over one day...

Whoever designs these robot tests needs to up their game.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    The problem is that most of the lay population believes in zero risk. Too many subjects have been affected by this delusion. People no longer use sensible cost-benefit analysis (NICE does, when deciding what NHS procedures to allow).
  • Options

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

"In view of your responses to the previous question, you are unfortunately not eligible to take part in this survey."

How have you ascertained that you're not a robot?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    The problem is that most of the lay population believes in zero risk. Too many subjects have been affected by this delusion. People no longer use sensible cost-benefit analysis (NICE does, when deciding what NHS procedures to allow).
    I don't think so, but the risk of death has been massively overstated for the last 2 to 3 months which has weighed on people's confidence to go out and spend money. As I said, if it was common knowledge that only around 20 people per day were dying of COVID and not 80 as was previously reported people would have been more ready to go out. Not just that the death rate has been stuck at around 50 per day for weeks which is another signal of "this hasn't gone away, we should still stay indoors".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    They clearly don't, but it is the case that they can't afford to cater for the risks that are out there. Owning your own home and that being 100% if not more of your risk is stupid. Everyone does it though at some point.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    MaxPB said:

I put the 28 day data into my comparison -

• Options

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    Have you noticed the way that NICE decisions are heavily protected by all concerned?

Even to the point of some doctors believing that a non-NICE treatment (!) is actually immoral.
  • Options
    @Malmesbury - it looks as though it was overestimated by a factor of five near the end. The old PHE method was so absurd that we would start to see deaths rise using that method as the number of people tested keeps growing, simply because you are more likely to test someone who goes on to have an accident.
  • Options

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

According to a documentary I saw, you need to set the pin switch on your CPU to read/write, instead of read only. See here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t_wrtyxFp8

This enables you to simulate human properly.
  • Options
    SO what the heck happened, PB-wise.

Last week the system ate my account. This morning it ate PB?

Methinks sinister forces may (or may not) be at work!
  • Options

(1) We don't store your usernames/password, that's Vanilla.

(2) The hacker used an old Wordpress account that should been deleted. They then uploaded a plugin that enabled them to upload/delete files in wwwroot. They then deleted the website. They didn't get access to the DB (or indeed any kind of root or shell access).
  • Options

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

How long will it take for "Nick Palmer is a robot" to start trending up on Twitter?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    If those are right Biden's home and dry, right?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    And the Scottish and Welsh administrations say they are pursuing a “Zero COVID” strategy. Even Guernsey, 102 days without any COVID is not pursuing that - the CMO reckons we’ll be living with it for decades.
  • Options
    BTW, what does "c" in "rcs1000" stand for?

My vote is for "Cuthbert"
  • Options

BTW, what does "c" in "rcs1000" stand for?

My vote is for "Cuthbert"

Surely computer
  • Options
    I’ve just had a look at the results for my class and the rest of the year as well; if it had been a normal year I would have said no big surprises.

Small sample size I know, but the process seems to have largely done what it was supposed to.

I was not responsible for the predictions though, and I know we did have a lot marked down.

I hope everybody understands if I don’t go into too many details.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

(2) The hacker used an old Wordpress account that should been deleted. They then uploaded a plugin that enabled them to upload/delete files in wwwroot. They then deleted the website. They didn't get access to the DB (or indeed any kind of root or shell access).
    Why bother? Someone who lost a ton of money betting on politics recently?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It was clearly Dominic Cummings and Gavin Williamson behind the hack.

They nuked my thread about the looming A Levels fiasco, and it is no coincidence that the hack took place on the day of the A Level results.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    I don't think so, but the risk of death has been massively overstated for the last 2 to 3 months which has weighed on people's confidence to go out and spend money. As I said, if it was common knowledge that only around 20 people per day were dying of COVID and not 80 as was previously reported people would have been more ready to go out. Not just that the death rate has been stuck at around 50 per day for weeks which is another signal of "this hasn't gone away, we should still stay indoors".
    Comically, they have updated the field names in the API.

But still no data...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

They nuked my thread about the looming A Levels fiasco, and it is no coincidence that the hack took place on the day of the A Level results.
    They are not clever enough, especially Williamson
  • Options
    Thanks for your kind response @rcs1000
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Surely you use a unique password for each website? Profiles on PB come and go all the time...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Omnium said:

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

Robots don't waste their time doing opinion surveys for 25p...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    Andy_JS said:

I just assume her geography knowledge matches her knowledge of statistics.
  • Options

If those are right Biden's home and dry, right?
    Presidential nominees typically get an uptick in polls when they declare their VP pick. Most folks really don't care very much (if at all) but announcement guaranties media coverage AND shows nominee making an important "presidential" decision.

How big a bounce (generally not too much) and how long depends upon partly on how the running mate is reviewed and performs, but mostly on other developments.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, she had a 20,818 majority in Sevenoaks last year.

Sevenoaks was also comfortably Tory even in 1997 and 2001, if anything it is Blue Wall not Red Wall
    Sevenoaks, Orpington and Chislehurst are absolutely the Blue Wall.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

rcs1000 said:

You are crediting Gavin Williamson with powers way, way beyond his reach.
  • Options
    Not sure whether this is a spoof or not.

https://twitter.com/EdwardLeighMP/status/1292781286231289857
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

If Gavin Williamson tried to hack PB, mumsnet would go down.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    I'm not so sure about this. Most people are not staying indoors - they are out and about. The exception is the old and/or vulnerable who are still being cautious, and have been since mid March. But perhaps the number of deaths would have been sustained at a higher level if this group were not still being cautious.
  • Options
    Good news: total Covid patients remaining in UK hospitals are now down below 1,000 for the first time since March 21st. Touchwood, there's still no sign from either these or the triage figures of a resurgence.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

10 per day would be 70 a week, which is inconsistent whith these graphs.
  • Options

Surely you use a unique password for each website? Profiles on PB come and go all the time...
    I do yes.
  • Options

Omnium said:

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

IF you are a robot, well, you WOULD say that, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,078
    edited August 2020

I'm sure the rainbow community will welcome you with open arms.

Edit: I see RobD beat me to it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737

Omnium said:

First screen:

(ticked)

Second screen:

If robots can be made to spend time posting conspiracy theories on twitter and facebook pretty sure opinion surveys would not be a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I was surprised when I found out the "Kurzstunden" scheme for corona times does not usually mean theliteral "short hours" but in practice it means "no hours", so I have seen it as similar to the UK furlough scheme.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Andy_JS said:

Why did it take the French 105 years* to retake Calais?

Because they didn’t want it.

*Dated from the collapse of the remaining English possessions in France following the battle of Castillon, 1453.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's just a ploy to get me to rejoin the Tory Party.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    I'm not so sure about this. Most people are not staying indoors - they are out and about. The exception is the old and/or vulnerable who are still being cautious, and have been since mid March. But perhaps the number of deaths would have been sustained at a higher level if this group were not still being cautious.
    And there's also a good chance that they'll carry on being this cautious indefinitely. Indeed, quite possibly, permanently.

The longer that some people keep on pretending that it's April, are too afraid to go out anywhere unless forced to grocery shop, and keep on sitting at home and adopting other chronic self-isolator habits like disinfecting and quarantining their parcels until they're convinced any contamination has been removed, the harder they are going to find it ever to return to life as it was previously lived.

Fast forward another year or two and there'll still be a significant cohort of the terrified, shuffling into supermarkets once a week at eight o'clock in the morning wearing masks and gloves, and spending the rest of their lives shut up at home. It will have become such an entrenched habit that they'll no longer be able to help themselves.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

We've had issues before but Robert has always come through for us whether it be hacks, DDOS attacks, server capacity issues, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for the memory (sorry, just channelled my inner Bob Hope there).

A quick look at the US polling this evening and yet another poll shows it to be very tight in North Carolina with again Trump ekeing out a 1-point lead (46-45) over Biden. I suppose we'll see more of the impact of the selection of Kamala Harris as Biden's VP in due course.

Sevenoaks is about as Conservative as it gets but it did go Liberal in 1923 when one Ronald Williams won it by 669 votes. He lost the seat in the 1924 election and it's been blue ever since.

I suppose the big shock from the 1997 and 2001 elections was that the Conservative vote share went sub 50%
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Did I read that poor kids exams have actually been marked up more than rich kids on the previous thread, or was that part of the bug? Or did I just read it incorrectly?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Andy_JS said:

Clearly not a spoof but rather a witty way to make the sensible suggestion to "pay France a few million" for their help.

More importantly, where is modern day 'Larien' (between Arundel and Dover on the map)? Could it be Rye?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

If Gavin Williamson tried to hack PB, mumsnet would go down.
    What would happen if Chris Grayling hacked PB? All typewriters stop working?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The migrant crisis: all Bloody Mary's fault.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sevenoaks making another appearance.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The migrant crisis: all Bloody Mary's fault.
    I will not support rejoining the EU unless France agrees to honour the Treaty of Troyes.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Clearly not a spoof but rather a witty way to make the sensible suggestion to "pay France a few million" for their help.

More importantly, where is modern day 'Larien' (between Arundel and Dover on the map)? Could it be Rye?
    Probably. It was originally from French La Rive, ‘the strand’ although I don’t know why it would be spelled Larien.
  • Options
    Ugh, thank God Corbynism was so comprehensively rejected last year.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1293955838491713543
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Interesting that the total deaths have gone from much more than the deaths in hospital, implying there's been a lot of community deaths, to being barely any more than the hospital figure.
  • Options

Ugh, thank God Corbynism was so comprehensively rejected last year.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1293955838491713543

Surely a more logical answer if A levels discriminate against the poorest would be to abolish exams?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

We've had issues before but Robert has always come through for us whether it be hacks, DDOS attacks, server capacity issues, blah, blah, blah.

+1
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph
    And there's also a good chance that they'll carry on being this cautious indefinitely. Indeed, quite possibly, permanently.

The longer that some people keep on pretending that it's April, are too afraid to go out anywhere unless forced to grocery shop, and keep on sitting at home and adopting other chronic self-isolator habits like disinfecting and quarantining their parcels until they're convinced any contamination has been removed, the harder they are going to find it ever to return to life as it was previously lived.

Fast forward another year or two and there'll still be a significant cohort of the terrified, shuffling into supermarkets once a week at eight o'clock in the morning wearing masks and gloves, and spending the rest of their lives shut up at home. It will have become such an entrenched habit that they'll no longer be able to help themselves.
    I have a friend like that sadly, He is wfh but desperately wants to get back to the office but he is still at the point he won't have you in the garden even at 2m distance. I have no idea how he will get back to normal. His office is open but optional so its not a can't its a won't because he is too scared
  • Options
    Which means Biden is doing worse that any challenger than beat an incumbent, and better than any challenger who lost...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Telegraph

But they won't be exposed to any risk of any infection, so they will live forever....
This discussion has been closed.