Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s attack on voting by post might be making his defeat mo

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    eek said:

It's seems they believed what Boris told them - more fool them..

And "oven ready deal" that trussed the Brexiteers up like chickens...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited August 2020
    Sean_F said:

Totally, O/T but I was thinking more about the question, which crops up from time to time here, whether Nazism is worse than communism. Why is it still more respectable to be a communist than a Nazi?

I think the answer has to be that despite the loathsome nature of Lenin, Stalin, and their cliques:-

1. The mass of men and women of the Soviet Union displayed extraordinary valour in WWII, and the world owes them a debt of gratitude for it.

2. For all their brutality and cruelty, the Soviets never implemented the equivalent of Generalplan Ost, or the Holocaust, on the countries they occupied.

That said, there is nothing that can be said for the regimes of Pol Pot or Kim Il Sung, which were as cruel as the Nazis.

As I may have said before, also 3, the idealism of millions of people who wanted a just society for themselves and others (check out the original Communist Manifesto and count the number of points that have become part of uncontroversial government). That many of these people were betrayed by their leaders to the point of imprisonment and death doesn't detract from that idealism.

I can't imagine what sort of thesis could be put forward for Nazi idealism, or rather I can, but it would involve a Judenfrei world and German nationalism & Führer worship as a religion.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

Sean_F said:

Totally, O/T but I was thinking more about the question, which crops up from time to time here, whether Nazism is worse than communism. Why is it still more respectable to be a communist than a Nazi?

I think the answer has to be that despite the loathsome nature of Lenin, Stalin, and their cliques:-

1. The mass of men and women of the Soviet Union displayed extraordinary valour in WWII, and the world owes them a debt of gratitude for it.

2. For all their brutality and cruelty, the Soviets never implemented the equivalent of Generalplan Ost, or the Holocaust, on the countries they occupied.

That said, there is nothing that can be said for the regimes of Pol Pot or Kim Il Sung, which were as cruel as the Nazis.

As I may have said before, also 3, the idealism of millions of people who wanted a just society for themselves and others (check out the original Communist Manifesto and count the number of points that have become part of uncontroversial government). That many of these people were betrayed by their leaders to the point of imprisonment and death doesn't detract from that idealism.

I can't imagine what sort of thesis could be put forward for Nazi idealism, or rather I can, but it would involve a Judenfrei world and German nationalism & Führer worship as a religion.
    ERic Hobsbawm: 'Let us not disarm, even in unsatisfactory times. Social injustice still needs to be denounced and fought. The world will not get better on its own.'

It's worth remembering however that one whole chapter of the book which closes with that remark (Interesting Times) was spent grumbling about the fact that some damn fool made him give up his second home in North Wales so that a local could live in it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    This is from 7 years ago.

"Serco: the company that is running Britain
    From prisons to rail franchises and even London's Boris bikes, Serco is a giant global corporation that has hoovered up outsourced government contracts. Now the NHS is firmly in its sights. But it stands accused of mismanagement, lying and even charging for non-existent work
    John Harris"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jul/29/serco-biggest-company-never-heard-of
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Diane Abbott is trending - Corbynites think Sir Keir's solidarity with Lammy is an impicit insult to DA. Whilst reading their attacks I noticed this... who's in?

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1288917229585805316?s=20
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    isam said:

This would be a good point if the white population were less than 80%. Why aren’t people curious enough to look at the whole picture?

https://twitter.com/mrchrisaddison/status/1290306139150721024?s=21

Just last week David Schneider, another left wing smart alec comic, was apparently unaware that medical products are routinely withdrawn for safety reasons. The government — doing it's usual terrible job of hiding such scandalous stuff — has literally hundreds of such notices on its main web site. Making snarky comments for a living doesn't make a person clever, or even moderately well informed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited August 2020
    glw said:

isam said:

This would be a good point if the white population were less than 80%. Why aren’t people curious enough to look at the whole picture?

Just last week David Schneider, another left wing smart alec comic, was apparently unaware that medical products are routinely withdrawn for safety reasons. The government — doing it's usual terrible job of hiding such scandalous stuff — has literally hundreds of such notices on its main web site. Making snarky comments for a living doesn't make a person clever, or even moderately well informed.
    So if we know that in Trafford 80% of the cases are white people, an underepresentation of 6.5%, what are the percentages for the other parts of the NW that have been locked down? Does anybody know?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is from 7 years ago.

"Serco: the company that is running Britain
    From prisons to rail franchises and even London's Boris bikes, Serco is a giant global corporation that has hoovered up outsourced government contracts. Now the NHS is firmly in its sights. But it stands accused of mismanagement, lying and even charging for non-existent work
    John Harris"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jul/29/serco-biggest-company-never-heard-of

Could have been worse. Imagine if we'd outsourced it all to Carillon.

Out of curiosity, why are you reposting it now? Is Serco up to something?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Whether they'll get the full 50,000 this year, time will tell (52,000 in 16/17, vs 360,000 in England)

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1290603339256922113?s=20
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    In other important news, the Mail has upped its double entendre game:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8591263/Female-officer-28-facing-sack-carrying-sex-acts-married-sergeant-police-station.html#comments

'Female police officer, 28, who 'carried out sex acts on married sergeant at their busy city centre station during ten month fling' faces the sack'

I do hope not, that was exactly what caused the issue in the first place...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,420
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

It's seems they believed what Boris told them - more fool them..

And "oven ready deal" that trussed the Brexiteers up like chickens...
    It goes back to Cameron's failure to force the Leavers to produce an actual plan for the referendum, and then Theresa May's not forcing the question before Article 50. We still have, like IDS, prominent Brexiteers not knowing what they want, how to get it, and how to recognise it when they have (or have not) got it.

ETA I very much doubt Boris has any particular end-state in mind either.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Whether they'll get the full 50,000 this year, time will tell (52,000 in 16/17, vs 360,000 in England)

I think that is extremely unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    It's too early for any Eid spike to show up, the current increase seems to me to be from pubs being allowed to open up - that's pushed r slightly above 1 I think.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The arrivals or the strategy?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Why not just test them on arrival? We have around 200k spare testing capacity per day and rising, especially with the roll out of the new 90 minute tests.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Arrivals.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

kamski said:

As a "Briton" who got German citizenship this year, the reason why many of us have rushed to do this is that Germany does not normally allow dual citizenship. An exception is made for citizens of other EU countries. Applying for German citizenship in the next years would involve giving up British citizenship if successful, whereas those of us who have already done it can keep both. Numbers will definitely go down again. Also the process of getting citizenship is not much harder than getting leave to stay. 2 months after handing in a form and supporting documents and paying about 200 euros I got my citizenship.

I also know people who spend part of their lives in Germany who have formalised their status here, where previously they had just been here as EU citizens (with an EHIC card)

I'm not sure those figures are evidence of much. But I do know health professionals who had been considering moving TO the UK who ruled it out after the Brexit vote and May's later moronic comments about only wanting British doctors in the NHS.

I was lucky enough to be born with dual citizenship, but given the anti-Europe messages that come out of the UK Little England these days, I no longer identify as British and use my Irish passport when a passport is requested.
    Its weird you say that when it appears our citizenship laws appear more open than many others.
    They’re a *lot* tighter than they used to be. Try getting citizenship for your wife, if she’s not lived in the UK for at least half a decade.
    The requirement is three years of legal residence for the spouses of UK citizens.
    That's if they can get in in the first place. My Dad married an American in 2009, he tried desperately to get her over here for five years and eventually gave up and decided to stay in the USA. This was purely because his blue collar trade of being an electrician didn't meet the income threshold, despite living a fairly comfortable life in my home region (NE England). Britain is a hostile environment to even it's own taxpaying citizens who have the misfortune to fall in love with a foreigner.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

I think it's simpler than that. Communism was, ultimately, a failure, but it was a failure that at least superficially had some significant successes. The planned economy of Stalin, for example, created an economic superpower in the Soviet Union. In 1914 the largest armaments factory in the Russian Empire made 17 rifles. In 1945 they had churned out enough tanks to overrun all of Europe. When Mao took over China in 1949 it was a political, social and economic basket case. By 1976 it was a serious world power again.

Now you could argue - correctly - that these successes were at best decidedly mixed. For example, the Soviet economy grew at 5.5% a year from about 1922 to 1960. That's a remarkable rate of growth, but it's actually slightly lower than the rate under the Tsars (6%) and it disguises the fact that while industry exploded, agriculture imploded and millions starved. Far more people died in the Ukraine under Stalin than died in the Holocaust under Hitler. Similarly, had Deng been allowed to maintain his economic policies after the Great Famine of the late 1950s, China would have grown far faster and would also have been much less troubled and repressive. The Cultural Revolution was hugely damaging.

But they are at least, achievements. Name one achievement of Nazism that has actually stood the test of time. Economic recovery? Not really, they had food rationing even before the war, because they couldn't import both food and war materials. Architecture? Most of it was flattened in World War Two. Sustained, if modest and gradual, increases in living standards, which the Soviet Union did achieve from Khrushchev onwards? No.

It is worth pointing out though - in support of your argument - that I was once told Mussolini remains quite popular in Italy, as the man who gave them lots of new infrastructure and rebuilt the army and navy so Italy became a proper power. I don't know how true that is - @Cyclefree would be able to help - but it suggests that the reason for far right getting a worse press in this country than the far left is, straightforwardly, that 'far-right=Hitler' in the popular mind.
    For sure, which is why I deliberately said Nazism rather than fascism.

It's ironic that the one thing that Communists were really good at is war - and building up the infrastructure needed to wage war - when in theory, communism will bring war to an end. Whereas the Nazis who actually glorified war were destroyed on the battlefield.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    MaxPB said:

Why not just test them on arrival? We have around 200k spare testing capacity per day and rising, especially with the roll out of the new 90 minute tests.
    Agreed - also, surely more than 50k people have been entering Scotland in July and August anyway?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

I think it's simpler than that. Communism was, ultimately, a failure, but it was a failure that at least superficially had some significant successes. The planned economy of Stalin, for example, created an economic superpower in the Soviet Union. In 1914 the largest armaments factory in the Russian Empire made 17 rifles. In 1945 they had churned out enough tanks to overrun all of Europe. When Mao took over China in 1949 it was a political, social and economic basket case. By 1976 it was a serious world power again.

Now you could argue - correctly - that these successes were at best decidedly mixed. For example, the Soviet economy grew at 5.5% a year from about 1922 to 1960. That's a remarkable rate of growth, but it's actually slightly lower than the rate under the Tsars (6%) and it disguises the fact that while industry exploded, agriculture imploded and millions starved. Far more people died in the Ukraine under Stalin than died in the Holocaust under Hitler. Similarly, had Deng been allowed to maintain his economic policies after the Great Famine of the late 1950s, China would have grown far faster and would also have been much less troubled and repressive. The Cultural Revolution was hugely damaging.

But they are at least, achievements. Name one achievement of Nazism that has actually stood the test of time. Economic recovery? Not really, they had food rationing even before the war, because they couldn't import both food and war materials. Architecture? Most of it was flattened in World War Two. Sustained, if modest and gradual, increases in living standards, which the Soviet Union did achieve from Khrushchev onwards? No.

It is worth pointing out though - in support of your argument - that I was once told Mussolini remains quite popular in Italy, as the man who gave them lots of new infrastructure and rebuilt the army and navy so Italy became a proper power. I don't know how true that is - @Cyclefree would be able to help - but it suggests that the reason for far right getting a worse press in this country than the far left is, straightforwardly, that 'far-right=Hitler' in the popular mind.

It's ironic that the one thing that Communists were really good at is war - and building up the infrastructure needed to wage war - when in theory, communism will bring war to an end. Whereas the Nazis who actually glorified war were destroyed on the battlefield.
    Although don't forget Communism is based on the idea that there will be a war between different socio-economic groups before a Communist society can be established.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Arrivals.
    Yes, I fear you're right.

Apart from anything else, where could they quarantine? Not that we have proper quarantine, but they will have to give an address where they're meant to lock down for a fortnight.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

For all that, I think some communist organisations, such as the Khmer Rouge, were just in love with killing, and ideology hardly mattered.
  • Options
    Yep, it’s too late; and, yep, it probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway, but the profound ignorance and crass stupidity of the Duncan Smith Brexit tendency really is quite something.
    https://twitter.com/sturdyalex/status/1290578227568795648?s=21
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's too early for any Eid spike to show up, the current increase seems to me to be from pubs being allowed to open up - that's pushed r slightly above 1 I think.

The trouble with the pubs thesis is that most people do not go to pubs, even before Covid-19. It might still be true that pubs spread the virus but it would be nice to have some actual evidence.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    It’s a modelling exercise, but credible nonetheless:

https://twitter.com/sophiescott2/status/1290565821148749824
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Arrivals.

Apart from anything else, where could they quarantine? Not that we have proper quarantine, but they will have to give an address where they're meant to lock down for a fortnight.
    Freshers week 'quarantine' will be like the 'nightclub' that told the council it was opening as a 'pub' and then was given the condition of 'no dancing'.
    I do have some sympathy with the council that allowed the pub to open, as they did consult counsel on the matter; I reckon the nightclub (In Preston iirc) told the council it'd see them in court if they weren't allowed to open.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Arrivals.

The tweet is really misleading, it assumes that the same number of people who arrived last year will arrive this year. Not accounting for the transition to online-only, nor the depressed demand.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Sean_F said:

The reasons why Communism was seen - by some - as more acceptable are more complicated I think.

In two parts (for length) - Part One

1. Much less is known about the suffering of people under Communism. Sure, there are plenty of learned books about the Gulags and Eastern Europe but very few films. The visual evidence is rarely there and so the suffering is hidden, very far away, unseen. There are few survivors and many do not talk or are silenced. The archives and historical records are largely closed. There has not been a moral confessional reckoning by the perpetrators and the old regimes, in the way there was by Germany. There have been few trials.

2. The defeat of Nazi Germany made the people realise and see what had happened. Soviet Communism was never defeated in the same way and so the full realisation of the horror it inflicted for decades was simply put in in a cupboard marked “old history” and the door closed.

3. The plight of the Ukrainian people who suffered a Holodomor, a holocaust quite as ghastly, malicious and intended as that perpetrated by the Germans, was ignored. Soviet Russia worked hard to ensure that the legal definition of genocide adopted by the United Nations excluded what was done to the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians themselves were tarred as Nazi collaborators so never “enjoyed” a status as victim. Ditto for the Baltic states and Eastern Poland etc.

4. Russia’s contribution to the defeat of Nazism was seen as excusing everything else, including its own help to the Nazis when Britain was fighting alone. The contributions of the Allies to Russia’s war effort has been ignored or downplayed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is a good tweet. Even if R is > 1, there is still value in having it as low above 1 as possible.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Pulpstar said:

The trouble with the pubs thesis is that most people do not go to pubs, even before Covid-19. It might still be true that pubs spread the virus but it would be nice to have some actual evidence.
    We've reached the dangerous stage where people think that closing pubs is the equivalent risk to opening up the entirety of the education system. I mean, that's obviously ridiculous, in terms of numbers, hours per person and so on, but here we are. If the press and/or government don't admit soon just how much the economy will have to shut down again in order to have schools return fully, then there's going to be a lot of trouble. Some education on relative risk is needed pronto.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

It's surely equally ironic that the one thing that did more than anything else to tip the Soviet regime finally over the edge was the failed war in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not sure that holds together tbh, the R would decrease in a closed system as the virus has fewer uninfected or susceptible targets. Using a constant doubling period for the road not taken doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Pulpstar said:

'Course, if we had a decent (ahem, world-beating) track and trace system, we'd know.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Talking of approving Brexit deals without reading them properly, this is an astute observation:

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1290603087112151040

Overall the end of the transition - i.e. Brexit in fact as well as in form - is shaping up to be an even bigger disaster, on multiple fronts, than ever seemed likely during the referendum campaign. Who on earth could have predicted lunacies such as not signing up to REACH?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

The reasons why Communism was seen - by some - as more acceptable are more complicated I think.

1. Much less is known about the suffering of people under Communism. Sure, there are plenty of learned books about the Gulags and Eastern Europe but very few films. The visual evidence is rarely there and so the suffering is hidden, very far away, unseen. There are few survivors and many do not talk or are silenced. The archives and historical records are largely closed. There has not been a moral confessional reckoning by the perpetrators and the old regimes, in the way there was by Germany. There have been few trials.

2. The defeat of Nazi Germany made the people realise and see what had happened. Soviet Communism was never defeated in the same way and so the full realisation of the horror it inflicted for decades was simply put in in a cupboard marked “old history” and the door closed.

3. The plight of the Ukrainian people who suffered a Holodomor, a holocaust quite as ghastly, malicious and intended as that perpetrated by the Germans, was ignored. Soviet Russia worked hard to ensure that the legal definition of genocide adopted by the United Nations excluded what was done to the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians themselves were tarred as Nazi collaborators so never “enjoyed” a status as victim. Ditto for the Baltic states and Eastern Poland etc.

4. Russia’s contribution to the defeat of Nazism was seen as excusing everything else, including its own help to the Nazis when Britain was fighting alone. The contributions of the Allies to Russia’s war effort has been ignored or downplayed.
    What was the reason for what seems a special degree of hatred for the Ukrainians?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Not sure that holds together tbh, the R would decrease in a closed system as the virus has fewer uninfected or susceptible targets. Using a constant doubling period for the road not taken doesn't make sense.
    Australia is nowhere near the point having fewer susceptible in the pool would make any difference at all to the numbers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

What was the reason for what seems a special degree of hatred for the Ukrainians?
    They had tried to become independent from 1918 to 1922. It was in effect an extension of the reconquest.

You must understand, Russia began in Kiev, not Moscow or St Petersburg. They see the Ukraine as the very heartland of the Russian Empire. The Ukrainians however see it differently.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Sean_F said:

It's rather complicated, and absolutely horrific, but basically many Ukrainians sided enthusiastically with the Nazis to save themselves from the Russians, conducting their own atrocities which in some cases even the Nazis thought were over the top. As things developed - badly - the Nazis started rounding up Ukrainians, so it wasn't even successful as a mode of self-preservation. Then as the tide turned the Russians advanced over Ukraine and took a horrendous revenge.

The whole WWII history of Eastern Europe is full of multi-faceted horrors, in which it wasn't just the Nazis and Soviets who were guilty of war crimes. The history is relatively unknown in the West.

This is an excellent book on the subject:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitlers-Empire-Nazi-Occupied-Europe/dp/0141011920
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Pulpstar said:

People who became infected down the pub then passing it on at an Eid celebration.
  • Options
    Rishi's 2 Big Macs for the price of a pop tart promotion.

Updated guidance on how to register your (or your daughter's) restaurant:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-your-establishment-for-the-eat-out-to-help-out-scheme
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's rather complicated, and absolutely horrific, but basically many Ukrainians sided enthusiastically with the Nazis to save themselves from the Russians, conducting their own atrocities which in some cases even the Nazis thought were over the top. As things developed - badly - the Nazis started rounding up Ukrainians, so it wasn't even successful as a mode of self-preservation. Then as the tide turned the Russians advanced over Ukraine and took a horrendous revenge.

The whole WWII history of Eastern Europe is full of multi-faceted horrors, in which in wasn't just the Nazis and Soviets who were guilty of war crimes, but is relatively unknown in the West.

The Holdomar was before WWII, not after it. It's the reason the Ukrainians were so keen on the Nazis, whom they saw as liberators.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    isam said:

Diane Abbott is trending - Corbynites think Sir Keir's solidarity with Lammy is an impicit insult to DA. Whilst reading their attacks I noticed this... who's in?

Jeremy continued "And what's more, I shagged her....."
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

People who became infected down the pub then passing it on at an Eid celebration.
    Er....run that one by me again......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

The whole WWII history of Eastern Europe is full of multi-faceted horrors, in which in wasn't just the Nazis and Soviets who were guilty of war crimes, but is relatively unknown in the West.

The Holdomar was before WWII, not after it. It's the reason the Ukrainians were so keen on the Nazis, whom they saw as liberators.
    Yes, they saw them as liberators initially.
  • Options

isam said:

THat's nothing special. Why last year, he screwed every member of the Labour party in one day.

Election day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

They had tried to become independent from 1918 to 1922. It was in effect an extension of the reconquest.

You must understand, Russia began in Kiev, not Moscow or St Petersburg. They see the Ukraine as the very heartland of the Russian Empire. The Ukrainians however see it differently.
    So in that respect, the Soviets were identifying with the Tsars? (and Stalin was a huge admirer of Ivan the Terrible and Peter the Great).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, they saw them as liberators initially.
    As the Poles did the Russians, of course.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Cyclefree said:

Part Two

5. The economic advances under Communism have IMO been hugely overplayed. Had Communism not been inflicted on Russia and China and elsewhere those countries would almost certainly have been in a better economic and social position. There is something grotesque about giving China credit for taking people out of poverty when it made them poor in the first place and killed many tens of millions through famine first.

6. Too many people in the West believed implicitly (if not explicitly) in the maxim that the “end justifies the means” and so half excused what Communist dictatorships did. There were too many useful idiots in the West, too many who had been taken in by the propaganda, who had turned a blind eye. Admitting the sheer moral nihilism and brutality of Communism would also have meant admitting their own moral blindness and complicity. Easier to focus on Nazis and Fascists.

7. Controversial this but Communism was the end point of a leftist trajectory. So fellow socialists and others were perhaps inhibited in criticising communism too hard because it might have undermined the basis for socialism. After all the Communists called themselves socialists. Not all on the left did of course - but some of the most severe criticism was often reserved for people of the left who spoke out about the reality of communism (Koestler, Orwell etc). There were no (at least until recently) right of centre parties who felt that Nazism was part of their shared political family.

Communism and Nazism were and are both equally revolting. Torturing and killing people because of race or religion or class is disgusting. The result is misery. Those who defend Communism because a big factory or hospital was built somewhere, as if this was some kind of achievement which would not otherwise have happened, need to take a good long hard look at themselves.

In 1914, the Russian economy was taking off. It was experiencing enormous growth and foreign investors were piling in. This growth was a factor in the feeling of encirclement in Germany - France had recovered from 1870 and was now funding the Russian expansion. The plans for the Russian Navy were startling...

If is arguable that a cause of the revolution was this growth - growth in education and opportunity among the less privileged hitting the wall of incompetent aristocracy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The whole WWII history of Eastern Europe is full of multi-faceted horrors, in which it wasn't just the Nazis and Soviets who were guilty of war crimes. The history is relatively unknown in the West.

I honestly think Eastern Europe from 1914 to 1960 was about as bad a place as any to be alive in in any period of history. Almost as bad as Northern China in the time of Genghis Khan.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'Course, if we had a decent (ahem, world-beating) track and trace system, we'd know.
    If we didn't, the media we ensure we knew even sooner....

They seem to have gone very quiet though. I assume it doesn't contain many problems with which to beat the Govt. around the head.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

THat's nothing special. Why last year, he screwed every member of the Labour party in one day.

Election day.
    Arf!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Maybe people holding Eid celebrations in pubs.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

The Nazis were good at war until they stopped being good at it, or at least when the luck of their mug punter of a leader ran out.

It's an uncomfortable thought, or is since Stalin stopped being our honoured ally and became one of history's monsters, that JS was a superior leader to Hitler, able to pragmatically discard ideology in a way that Hitler couldn't. Also his decision to stay in Moscow in 1941 while all the apparatchiki were shitting themselves and booking seats on the 16:45 to Kuibyshev could be seen as one of the turning points in the war (in the east at least).
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

kle4 said:

kamski said:

As a "Briton" who got German citizenship this year, the reason why many of us have rushed to do this is that Germany does not normally allow dual citizenship. An exception is made for citizens of other EU countries. Applying for German citizenship in the next years would involve giving up British citizenship if successful, whereas those of us who have already done it can keep both. Numbers will definitely go down again. Also the process of getting citizenship is not much harder than getting leave to stay. 2 months after handing in a form and supporting documents and paying about 200 euros I got my citizenship.

I also know people who spend part of their lives in Germany who have formalised their status here, where previously they had just been here as EU citizens (with an EHIC card)

I'm not sure those figures are evidence of much. But I do know health professionals who had been considering moving TO the UK who ruled it out after the Brexit vote and May's later moronic comments about only wanting British doctors in the NHS.

I was lucky enough to be born with dual citizenship, but given the anti-Europe messages that come out of the UK Little England these days, I no longer identify as British and use my Irish passport when a passport is requested.
    Its weird you say that when it appears our citizenship laws appear more open than many others.
    ???

I do not have to apply for British citizenship, but I know a few Americans who have done so and they describe it as an expensive, time consuming and difficult process.

Does anyone know how we are doing these days granting residency to EU people who have lived here for 20 or 30 years?
    Guess what - there is lots of paperwork and expense in most countries when applying for residency or citizenship. The UK is little better or worse than everywhere else. I am just starting it in Spain right now.
    Presumably your dislike of the UK means you no longer live there which seems sensible given your hostility to all things British.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well, not all Muslims are as pious as me.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Although they were happy for their greatest monarch to be a German (Prussian). :smile:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Wasn't it a similar story in the Baltic States to an extent?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Australia is nowhere near the point having fewer susceptible in the pool would make any difference at all to the numbers.
    But it's not Australia, it's Melbourne plus there is always some level of local burnout within community groups and social groups which is a downwards push factor.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Snyders "Bloodlands" is good on the subject.

Stalin was particularly suspicious of the loyalties of non Russian people, and the terror was much worse for them, particularly Ukranians, Lithuanians and Poles. Much of these lands were Hapsburg before 1918, and recently acquired in the Twenties, with longstanding suspicion of Moscow.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    isam said:

glw said:

isam said:

So if we know that in Trafford 80% of the cases are white people, an underepresentation of 6.5%, what are the percentages for the other parts of the NW that have been locked down? Does anybody know?
    Not much difference between 80% and 86% - and that 80% sounds like a rounded figure anyway. You'd need to do a proper check of the primaruy data and a proibability analysis for the null hypothesis, but I wouldn't rely on that 6 percentage points if I were you.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Stalin was particularly suspicious of the loyalties of non Russian people
    There is of course a certain irony in that...
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 897
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

glw said:

isam said:

Not much difference between 80% and 86% - and that 80% sounds like a rounded figure anyway. You'd need to do a proper check of the primaruy data and a proibability analysis for the null hypothesis, but I wouldn't rely on that 6 percentage points if I were you.
    The local media has reported that the outbreak in Trafford is especially focused on Altrincham and Hale, the very rich part of the borough which is overwhelmingly white.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bang-up-date-coronavirus-infection-18698047

"Public Health Officials in Trafford believe the rise is concentrated to the south of the borough, around Hale and Altrincham."
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, though of course it is often the way. Hitler was born Austrian, Napoleon in Corsica, etc etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Wasn't it a similar story in the Baltic States to an extent?

Yes, some similar dynamics. Ukraine was especially bad though, partly because both the Soviets and the Nazis regarded it as one huge wheatfield which was essential to providing their food supplies, and in which the locals were very much expendable.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    It just means the teachers were ridiculously over generous to start with. Results overall "better" than last year so this downgrading if anything didn't go far enough.
    See graph here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53636296
    Not necessarily. I thought most of the downgradings were just by one grade, which probably represents a couple of percentage points, somewhere on the borderline.

If you are trying to judge the quality of an examination paper overall, it is very hard to distinguish between 65% and 68%, for example. Especially so, when all the comparisons are within a single school. So the teachers have done well in very difficult circumstances.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Sean_F said:

Because the Nazis lost. You can put a moral gloss over it, but that's really all there is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, though of course it is often the way. Hitler was born Austrian, Napoleon in Corsica, etc etc.
    His torturer in chief, Beria, was also a Georgian of course.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    edited August 2020
    Happened as we feared. A boy who got the third equal top mark in the country in his National 5 in computing last year (98%) has been given a band 2 having got a band 1 in his prelim. Just ridiculous but I am not sure that there is anything we can do since he got an "A".

This will adversely affect his Oxford application. It is bloody unfair.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    It just means the teachers were ridiculously over generous to start with. Results overall "better" than last year so this downgrading if anything didn't go far enough.
    See graph here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53636296
    Not necessarily. I thought most of the downgradings were just by one grade, which probably represents a couple of percentage points, somewhere on the borderline.

If you are trying to judge the quality of an examination paper overall, it is very hard to distinguish between 65% and 68%, for example. Especially so, when all the comparisons are within a single school. So the teachers have done well in very difficult circumstances.
    SQA are *claiming* that that is what has happened.

Given that they have made a statistical adjustment based on invalid evidence, I think we should treat their claims with extreme caution.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Motorways, animal rights, vegetarianism and anti-smoking campaigns are all considered normal these days...……..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Happened as we feared. A boy who got the third equal top mark in the country in his National 5 in computing last year (98%) has been given a band 2 having got a band 1 in his prelim. Just ridiculous but I am not sure that there is anything we can do since he got an "A".

Very sorry to hear this David. Can you appeal?
  • Options
    Poor Darren, possibly a little betwattled when writing that post.

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/1289206307631767553?s=20
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Don't think so. You can only appeal classifications not bands.
  • Options
    Talking about Russia.

Jokes about Russian royalty aren't puns.

They're Tsarcasm.
  • Options

Poor Darren, possibly a little betwattled when writing that post.

https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/1289206307631767553?s=20

One of the great Dubyaisms:

'We should use education to make a more literature country and a hopefuller country.'
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    "My experience of UK elections is that the postal voters are generally older and frailer than those who turn up in person and they are more likely to edge towards the Conservatives. I’m sure the same is replicated in the US."

Not so sure about that, Mike. I think in some states, particularly amongst minority communities underserved with polling stations and limited public transport, churches and the like have traditionally bussed in the vote but in recent elections have been promoting and facilitating mail in voting (as it's even more convenient for low-paid workers who have to work long shifts on election day).

Sea Shanty will probably have a better take on this, but I really do not think the US mirrors the UK here. The fact that registered Dems often outnumber Republicans in requests for mail in ballot forms would back this up.

That said, I think the story is right in saying that, by trashing the concept of mail in voting, Trump is selectively suppressing his own vote.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Don't think so. You can only appeal classifications not bands.
    That sucks.

Have you had a chance to discuss it with his college yet? (Assuming he isn't applying next year.)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

And many of the worst guards in Japanese PoW camps were Korean.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

And many of the worst guards in Japanese PoW camps were Korean.
    Not sure how that relates to Stalin's suspicion of non-Russians, despite not being a Russian. However:

Many of the worst concentration camp guards in the Holocaust were Croatian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Motorways, animal rights, vegetarianism and anti-smoking campaigns are all considered normal these days...……..
    Not sure if there was much discussion of these issues in Mein Kampf, but will yield to anyone who has plodded through that particular collection of the wit and wisdom of AH.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    That is brutal. That inverts everything supporters of the SQA have been assuming about grade inflation.

It also strongly suggests they have wrongfully clobbered every bright pupil in an inner city school.

If John Swinney doesn't resign over this...
  • Options

Talking about Russia.

They're Tsarcasm.

Roamin' of the subject there.
  • Options

Talking about Russia.

They're Tsarcasm.

Roamin' of the subject there.
    The pun is akin to the topic under discussion.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    O/T
    In some GP surgeries all the GPs are still working from home. Now I realise that a telephone consultation can help in some circumstances but how many life threatening illnesses are being missed by the failure of GPs to see their patients.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:
    That is brutal. That inverts everything supporters of the SQA have been assuming about grade inflation.

It also strongly suggests they have wrongfully clobbered every bright pupil in an inner city school.

This is such a serious issue that I've declined to make any cheap gags about why it is good to keep plebs in their place.

Doesn't the Scottish government/SQA realise they may have utterly screwed the lives of an entire cohort of a school year?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

How could the SQA have seen this and gone "Yup, that seems totally above board and without bias"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    It seems clear to me, that Santa Claus must be in charge of this.

Only he advocates and implements something so aggressively regressive.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

How could the SQA have seen this and gone "Yup, that seems totally above board and without bias"
    Because as other people haven't pointed out Quango's don't think as the people there are usually at best second rate people sent there by people who want rid of them.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New post
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Unfortunately the Nazis weren't so keen on the Ukrainians:

"We are a master race, which must remember that the lowliest German worker is racially and biologically a thousand times more valuable than the population here." - Erich Koch in 1943.

Erich Koch was "Reichskommissar" for Ukraine 1941 to 1944.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichskommissariat_Ukraine
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

How does it suggest that they've wrongfully clobbered every bright pupil in an inner city school? The figures they've ended up with look to be in line with 2016 to 2019 actuals, in fact a bit more generous to all categories.

Of course the 2016 to 2019 figures might not be ideal, but presumably the idea was to make the grades as compatible as possible with what would have happened if the exams had taken place as normal.

I agree that politically it looks potentially dangerous, but, objectively speaking, it's not obvious that it's wrong overall. That's not to say that there won't be much individual unfairness hidden in the statistics, of course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That sucks man, any chance of an appeal or sitting the exam?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

And rocket ships...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well, not all Muslims are as pious as me.
    Eid bah gum!!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

There is a similar case in Serbia and Kosovo.
This discussion has been closed.