Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » His Highness, King Donald the First, the Great Usurping Caesar

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Scott_xP said:
    Even the donkeys are leaving the Scottish sub-regional office team.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Deleted, accidental mix up with the editor

The bigger problem is that there are far more profitable software niches than election software.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

On the thread header, is it our republican thread writers ignorance, or a little joke that Donald has been stripped of "Royal" - and as King would be "Majesty" in any case?

It is a testament to my fantastic education, as I noted upthread.

Fernando Wood on Abraham Lincoln, when Lincoln was trying to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, Wood said in the House

'Estimable colleagues, two bloody years ago this month, his Highness, King Abraham Africanus the First, our Great Usurping Caesar, violator of habeas corpus and freedom of the press, abuser of states' rights.'
    If you think that it is appropriate to compare Trump to Lincoln then I think your education may have been rather lacking.
    I was drawing a contrast to the man who was accused of being a usurper for wanting to free the slaves and the usurper who wants to postpone the election.

America has held elections during a civil and world wars.
    Yes and they also allowed unlimited travel and people going to bars ,restaurants and theatres when they wanted during civil and world wars. heck they qwere making films in 1940. But they do not allow them now.

What's the difference?

Its just having an election, with all the attendant health risks, suits your agenda.

And that is why what Trump has done is actually not stupid. Not stupid at all. Because if the dems think elections are safe, then why aren;t all these other human activities...??
    If the voting is done by post, or if you make sure that there are enough polling stations for everyone, then it shouldn’t be a problem as long as people can take the appropriate precautions.

If you want to ban postal voting and reduce the number of polling stations (at least in areas that tend to vote for the wrong party) then you might have a point.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Johnson should force Michael Gove to take the job.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    eek said:

The bigger problem is that there are far more profitable software niches than election software.
    Sorry, I've pulled you into the mix up there, I attached the image to my original post.

By this I assume you mean that it will be done on the cheap...which is entirely true, judging by US efforts.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

On the thread header, is it our republican thread writers ignorance, or a little joke that Donald has been stripped of "Royal" - and as King would be "Majesty" in any case?

Fernando Wood on Abraham Lincoln, when Lincoln was trying to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, Wood said in the House

'Estimable colleagues, two bloody years ago this month, his Highness, King Abraham Africanus the First, our Great Usurping Caesar, violator of habeas corpus and freedom of the press, abuser of states' rights.'
    If you think that it is appropriate to compare Trump to Lincoln then I think your education may have been rather lacking.
    I was drawing a contrast to the man who was accused of being a usurper for wanting to free the slaves and the usurper who wants to postpone the election.

Yes and they also allowed unlimited travel and people going to bars ,restaurants and theatres when they wanted during civil and world wars. heck they qwere making films in 1940. But they do not allow them now.

What's the difference?

Its just having an election, with all the attendant health risks, suits your agenda.

And that is why what Trump has done is actually not stupid. Not stupid at all. Because if the dems think elections are safe, then why aren;t all these other human activities...??
    Postal ballots are safe and generally won't risk your life.

But still your argument is nearly as pathetic as your defence of Jake Hepple.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

Points to the first PBer to get the reference to the headline.

Idi Amin?
    Nope.
    Donald Duck?
    Nearly, Fernando Wood on Abraham Lincoln, when Lincoln was trying to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, Wood said in the House

In this case, it's the madness of King Donald.
    The Madness of King Donald is a headline I've used for a forthcoming thread.
  • Options

eek said:

Sorry, I've pulled you into the mix up there, I attached the image to my original post.

By this I assume you mean that it will be done on the cheap...which is entirely true, judging by US efforts.
    There is this one as well:
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/voting_machines.png
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

What's the difference?

Well. This is preceisely why the Dems are suggesting mail in ballots. They're slow as heck, as anyone who watches California knows. But you do get the correct result and you don't need to head to a nasty covid infested polling booth at all...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    How can anyone possibly follow such a political titan ? Massive boots to fill.
    Massive kecks, more like.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

eek said:

That's one of the few times I disagree with Randall Monroe - having anti-virus software not just on machines that are *supposed* to be publicly accessible is a very good idea.

For example, the time I caught the software for a Chinese laser cutter trying to send the data on what it was cutting to an IP address in China.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

What's the difference?

Postal ballots are safe and generally won't risk your life.

But still your argument is nearly as pathetic as your defence of Jake Hepple.
    Well we don;t know the science on that, are you a doctor? what do the experts say?

Many people will choose not to vote by mail anyway, potentially endangering their lives by turning up in person, and many people could be put in harms way at the counts too.

Judged by the standards that other human activities are being held to by people such as yourself, the whole thing is just far too dangerous.....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956

That's one of the few times I disagree with Randall Monroe - having anti-virus software not just on machines that are *supposed* to be publicly accessible is a very good idea.

For example, the time I caught the software for a Chinese laser cutter trying to send the data on what it was cutting to an IP address in China.

My employer rolled out endpoint software across the enterprise that alerts if any of the executables on the machine are altered in any way.

They put it on the developer machines, who now can't compile any code...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    MaxPB said:

Mike Pompeo seems to have invented a war in Germany in the 1980s:

“This is personal for me. I fought on the border of East Germany when I was a young soldier I was stationed there.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jul/30/us-coronavirus-mike-pompeo-senate-donald-trump-john-lewis-joe-biden-live-updates

Who did he fight?!
    Certain people will inspire fights wherever they are whoever they are against. So the answer is probably all comers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Can't recall if it's actually part of their constitution but the protocol is that leader should either be an MSP or MP for a Scottish constituency.

C'mon Govey, get yer campaigning trainers on for Glasgow Provan next year.
  • Options
    The Saudi-backed bid to buy Newcastle United was today withdrawn, with Amanda Staveley, the businesswoman at the centre of it, blaming the decision on opposition from rival clubs and the Premier League delaying approval.....

...Insiders close to the takeover bid suggested that Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur were among those clubs that opposed it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/rival-clubs-accused-of-undermining-newcastle-takeover-as-saudis-pull-plug-msplmwscf
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Worrying. Not for them precisely, I just like to hope all the unionist parties will do well and an already tough ask is probably harder if they have leader troubles.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

My employer rolled out endpoint software across the enterprise that alerts if any of the executables on the machine are altered in any way.

I actually encountered an unfeathered biped who said that anti-virus/worm/intrusion/ransomware software for Linux servers was not necessary.

Because Linux machines don't get viruses.
  • Options

If Trump’s reason for delaying the election is to reduce postal ballots (or the US equivalent) because he is worried they might be subject to “foreign interference” I assume he must also be calling for the abolition of electronic voting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

If you haven’t seen this before it is well worth your time.

I haven't had time to watch it, but for anyone who thinks electronic voting is a good idea:

It's a solution looking for a problem.

(Ok, not that there are no issues with physical ballots, but the supposed benefits - especially around turnout when there was great turnout without it - are not persuasive. The machine method even just seems unnecessary).
  • Options
    Q: Why did Sean Connery adopt a cat?

A: Teaching his dog to sit was too messy.
  • Options

If Trump’s reason for delaying the election is to reduce postal ballots (or the US equivalent) because he is worried they might be subject to “foreign interference” I assume he must also be calling for the abolition of electronic voting?

In fairness to Trump I recall from a John Oliver piece on voting machines that he at the least was clearly against the voting machines which had non paper back up so they could be validated if needs be.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worrying. Not for them precisely, I just like to hope all the unionist parties will do well and an already tough ask is probably harder if they have leader troubles.
    It's not worrying at all. Douglas Ross is standing - young, (hopefully) capable, and resigned (choreographed?) over Cummings, showing admirable independence from Doris (my portmanteau word for Dom and Boris). It's the best news for the Scottish Tories for ages.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    Carlaw defects to the SNP is what I am reading into that statement.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:
    Carlaw defects to the SNP is what I am reading into that statement.
    Not sure even the SNP deserve that.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Scott_xP said:

The point was that the voting software is always crap and the issue adding anything you don't 100% control means you open the system up to other issues.

For instance while the chinese laser cutter might have been the software sending the data to an IP address in China it could equally have been the anti-virus software sending details to Russia (which is why Kaspersky is no longer the company it used to be).
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very pleased.

He was not cutting it

Douglas Ross would be excellent
  • Options

I haven't had time to watch it, but for anyone who thinks electronic voting is a good idea:

I like the Alt Text

There are lots of very smart people doing fascinating work on cryptographic voting protocols. We shoudl be funding and encouraging them, and doing all our elections with paper ballots until everyone currently working in that field has retired.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's not worrying at all. Douglas Ross is standing - young, (hopefully) capable, and resigned (choreographed?) over Cummings, showing admirable independence from Doris (my portmanteau word for Dom and Boris). It's the best news for the Scottish Tories for ages.
    https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1288872070198317060?s=20
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

The point was that the voting software is always crap and the issue adding anything you don't 100% control means you open the system up to other issues.

For instance while the chinese laser cutter might have been the software sending the data to an IP address in China it could equally have been the anti-virus software sending details to Russia (which is why Kaspersky is no longer the company it used to be).
    Which is why you have guardians guarding the guardians who guard the guardians.

Think about the OS you are running - have you audited it?

Not just the source, the compiled code?

There is a very interesting story about a hacked compiler that introduced stuff...

As to voting - I find the idea of pen and paper a bit too advanced personally. Stone slabs and chisels - harder to erase.......
  • Options

eek said:

Election machines shouldn't be running on a 15 years old version of Windows with a full networking stack and the ability to load any old shit on them.

The very premise of them needing a Virus checker means that the wrong thing has been built.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worried ?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

There is a very interesting story about a hacked compiler that introduced stuff...

The original release of UNIX

The compiler inserted a backdoor in every system, but could tell if it was compiling a version of itself, and installed the backdoor code in every compiled compiler as well
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's the difference?

Well. This is preceisely why the Dems are suggesting mail in ballots. They're slow as heck, as anyone who watches California knows. But you do get the correct result and you don't need to head to a nasty covid infested polling booth at all...
    Yes. I'm not a fan, in ordinary times, of a lot of mailed voting, but in the current situation when we cannot delay elections forever (keen an eye on Hong Kong though I guess), it's what the situation calls for.

That's the problem with these 'restrictions on human activity' arguments. Yes there are restrictions, but lots of activities are restarting, with mitigation.

Is mitigation better than delay. On some things, very much yes.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited July 2020

The Saudi-backed bid to buy Newcastle United was today withdrawn, with Amanda Staveley, the businesswoman at the centre of it, blaming the decision on opposition from rival clubs and the Premier League delaying approval.....

...Insiders close to the takeover bid suggested that Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur were among those clubs that opposed it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/rival-clubs-accused-of-undermining-newcastle-takeover-as-saudis-pull-plug-msplmwscf

The opportunity for the Baggies to finish above the bottom three has just been assisted considerably.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In fairness to Trump I recall from a John Oliver piece on voting machines that he at the least was clearly against the voting machines which had non paper back up so they could be validated if needs be.
    Of the 10 states that Trump did best in compared to the polling the majority used electronic voting with no audit-able paper trail.

If you want a conspiracy theory to be getting on with.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Of the 10 states that Trump did best in compared to the polling the majority used electronic voting with no audit-able paper trail.

If that's so he has probably changed his mind then.
  • Options
    I keep getting Douglas Ross confused with Ross Thomson
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Jim Murphy did, though I suppose things didn't exactly work out well for him.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I keep getting Douglas Ross confused with Ross Thomson

Douglas Ross is the referee and Ross Thomson is the roaster?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

If that's so he has probably changed his mind then.
    And of the 10 states that he did worst in compared to the polling were all either paper or electronic-to-printed-paper ballot.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680

Scott_xP said:
    We shall not look upon his like again.
    With a bit of luck.....though I'm not holding my breath....
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

As to voting - I find the idea of pen and paper a bit too advanced personally. Stone slabs and chisels - harder to erase.......
    In ancient Athens they used to vote using a potsherd: ὄστρακον or ostrakon. We get the word ostracised from the resulting exile.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worried ?
    Nope, the tweet suggests it's the 'senior Scottish Tory source' that's worried, but it's no biggy. If Ross does run and win I expect he'd be on the Tory Holyrood list next May.

I think the '(hopefully) capable' from your fellow Unionist above says it all. Vote for the unknown quantity and hope for the best has Richard Leonard written all over it.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

In ancient Athens they used to vote using a potsherd: ὄστρακον or ostrakon. We get the word ostracised from the resulting exile.
    Yes - but still a bit hi-tech.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eek said:

Surely the joke is that you shouldn't be using machines that can be hacked or have a virus for voting in the first place? Like the teacher shouldn't need a condom in the first place?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's not 'balls' - wrong number of asterisks.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    OT Trumpsky is blowing smoke up the world's ass - again. Just like he did back in 2016 when he was sure he was going to lose.

He was wrong then. But this time, he's right - and he knows it. Still same old smoke.

Note that America did did NOT collapse due to close, contentious, sometimes contested results in 1800, 1824, 1860, 1876, 1888, 1916, 1948 (not so close, but very contested), 1960, 1968, 2000 & 2016.

SO betting that it will in 2020 appears to be against loooooooooooong odds.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Worried ?
    Nope, the tweet suggests it's the 'senior Scottish Tory source' that's worried, but it's no biggy. If Ross does run and win I expect he'd be on the Tory Holyrood list next May.

I think the '(hopefully) capable' from your fellow Unionist above says it all. Vote for the unknown quantity and hope for the best has Richard Leonard written all over it.
    Not being a member of the Scottish Tories, I won't be in the electorate. I would hope those who are have a better idea of his capability or lack of it than I do.
  • Options

eek said:

Surely the joke is that you shouldn't be using machines that can be hacked or have a virus for voting in the first place? Like the teacher shouldn't need a condom in the first place?
    Well, it depends which level you are thinking at -

- Everything can be hacked.
    - Not just machines.
    - People are pretty easy to socially engineer, for example.
    - Paper ballots are easier to audit in *some* ways.
    - Plenty of paper elections have been stolen.

The problem wasn't voting machines or the anti-virus software. It was the level of verifiability in the chain of systems. Which was on the typical software project level of WeThinkItKIndOfWorks.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:

The compiler inserted a backdoor in every system, but could tell if it was compiling a version of itself, and installed the backdoor code in every compiled compiler as well
    That was never part of the actual release was it? I thought it was rather a proof-of-concept but not part of the real release?
  • Options

That was never part of the actual release was it? I thought it was rather a proof-of-concept but not part of the real release?

http://catb.org/jargon/html/B/back-door.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    edited July 2020

Can't recall if it's actually part of their constitution but the protocol is that leader should either be an MSP or MP for a Scottish constituency.

I see however the current fave Mr Ross D. (the referee who was a MSP and MP [edit] later, as well, at a time when his party bitterly criticised Philippa Whitford for helping out at her local hospital in the Christmas break) also is a MP. Not a MSP.

Jim Murphy is not a happy precedent for a Unionist.

Of course Prof Tomkins A. has declared he is not standing at the next Holyrood election. [Edit - significvance beiun g he was s Davidson's main opponent at the last but one SCons leadership election).
  • Options
    George is much concerned with the meanace of separatism.

https://twitter.com/Alliance4Unity/status/1288866549370105857?s=20
  • Options
    A precipitous fall for a man who was riding high and lost his position through recklessness, or playing into his hands?

Italy's Senate has voted to allow the prosecution of ex-interior minister Matteo Salvini for blocking a migrant ship off Italy's coast last August.

More than 100 migrants were stuck on the Spanish rescue ship Open Arms for 19 days off the isle of Lampedusa.

Prosecutors in Sicily accuse Mr Salvini of illegal detention, which could bring a jail term of up to 15 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53592852
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Casos Totales:285.430
    Diagnosticados últimas 24 horas: 1229 Diagnosticados últimos 7 días: 13391 Diagnosticados últimos 14 días: 25419 Incidencia Acumulada (IA): 54,05 Número reproductivo básico (Rt): 0,9
    Fallecidos:28.443
    Fallecidos últimos 7 días: 10
    Recuperados:18-05-2020150.376
    Hospitalizados: 126.767 Hospitalizados últimos 7 días: 438 UCI: 11.772 UCI últimos 7 días: 25
    PCR totales: 2.536.234
    PCR/1000 hab: 53,8 Incremento capacidad PCR última semana: 14%

• Options

George is much concerned with the meanace of separatism.

https://twitter.com/Alliance4Unity/status/1288866549370105857?s=20

Interestingly, if only to a plane-spotter's eye, the roundel has changed ...
  • Options
    Not much confidence there. He should go for Edinburgh Central!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

slade said:

Just voted in the Lib Dem leadership contest. Went for the safe choice.

You drew a cock and balls on the ballot?
    No - the one with cock and balls.
  • Options
    An evergreen headline

Legal proceedings launched against Fifa president

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53598206

Doesn't seem as juicy as some past examples, but it is clearly nothing since both individuals have denied wrongdoing even though one offered to resign over it, which is totally something people do when there's been no wrongdoing.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There is a semi-legendary story that a similar thing was done to the Soviets by the CIA.

So the Soviets stole software which, ultimately, and very very sneakily, randomly changed the speed of the pumps on the gas pipeline they used it for.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1288881533303087108

Just need the ones in London to do the same...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I see however the current fave Mr Ross D. (the referee who was a MSP and MP [edit] later, as well, at a time when his party bitterly criticised Philippa Whitford for helping out at her local hospital in the Christmas break) also is a MP. Not a MSP.

Jim Murphy is not a happy precedent for a Unionist.

Of course Prof Tomkins A. has declared he is not standing at the next Holyrood election. [Edit - significvance beiun g he was s Davidson's main opponent at the last but one SCons leadership election).
    My error - it was SLAB who complained about Dr Whitford. Sorry. Memory.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Tbf, it will be more interesting than the Lib Dem contest.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    Scott_xP said:

They did, which is how Boris came to replace Theresa May.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Coleslaw was the last person in Scotland to realise how poor he was.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Tbf, it will be more interesting than the Lib Dem contest.
    And it will probably reach an outcome before that one does.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I hope this change of leadership proves less disastrous.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

Tories to get a more than 80 majority at the next Scottish election?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I don't know? Just watched the BBC News, Boris had another great day's campaigning today. This time trying out a police motorcycle.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Pagan2 said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

The dominance of Eton in Tory PMs is even greater when one remembers that PMs Thatcher and (possibly, in terms of admitting females to the sixth form at the time?) May were disqualified from Eton anyway by being girls.

Stonking point. Thus of the last 7 eligible Tory PMs, FIVE (!) went to Eton. A scandal really when you stop to think about it. How on earth can this be?
    I see no scandal. It simply shows that Eton is a good school and should be encouraged to be as good as it can be so that the public sector can learn from it.
    Hilarious trolling.
    I dunno. If teachers were paid double what they are in the state sector and had a 1:7 SSR (without checking) I think many of our educational problems would disappear.
    Is that a policy you support then - you being paid double?
    I’d settle for that SSR myself.

I’ve seen a lot of my colleagues head off to the independent sector over the years. Possibly half of the ones that don’t leave by retirement.
    Maybe not double (salary) but I will launch myself into your good books by saying that imo the transformation of teaching into a high status high pay profession to rank with law and medicine is my silver bullet along with 100% comps, no privates, resource skewed towards disadvantaged areas.

"Mum, I've decided to become an investment banker."

"Oh, Ok darling. I see."

"You don't seem pleased."

"It's not that. It's just that you're so bright and everything - me and your father were rather hoping you might aim a little higher than that. Try and get into teaching even."
    Unless you make all comps outstanding that is never happening, middle class parents will not touch inadequate or requires improvement comps with a bargepole
    They will need to elevate and keep their eyes on the prize.
    By sending their children private to a grammar or by buying a house in an outstanding comp or academy catchment area or going to church more often to get a vicar's note to get into one
    There will be little or none of that as I envisage things. Certainly no vicar involvement. What there will be is a transformed social and educational landscape.

"Where did you go to school?"

"Er, what do you mean? ... I went to school."

THIS is the prize.
    I know, you want to abolish all private schools, grammar schools and religious schools.

However to get true equality you will also have to abolish all outstanding or even just good comprehensives and academies too, we cannot have anyone getting an advantage now can we.

Which would end up about as effective as abolishing Waitrose, Marks and Spencer and Sainsburys and making everyone shop at Lidl or Asda
    I prefer to focus on what is being created. Every child going to their excellent local school. All catered for and given the chance to blossom. Flexible. Diverse. All the angst and division around eduction that we see today eliminated along with its toxic propagation of class inequality. As I say - a great prize.

"Where should we send Peter to school, honey?"
    "Er, what are you talking about, where? - he's going to school."
    "Oh right. So I guess we don't have to obsess about it for ages then."
    "Correct. Fancy a curry tonight?"
    Utter rubbish, by definition if you live in the posh part of town sending your child to the local school is far more likely to be to an excellent school than parents sending their children to the local school in the rough part of town.

Plus if you order a curry from an excellent restaurant surely you must abolish that too as it is more expensive than the customers who have to buy from the far less good curry house down the road?
    You might view education as akin to the restaurant trade but I don't.

Re your more serious point, you are missing 2 key parts of the proposed reform. (i) Resource will be heavily skewed to schools in disadvantaged areas. (ii) Teaching will be a 'creme de la creme' profession. You probably know the Eric Cantona beer advert? So it will like that with "farmer" replaced by "teacher".

Upshot, struggling schools invested in very seriously and staffed (via incentives) with the best teachers. Better than those in "easier" environments. A few years of this and what we see is gaps closing. And as gaps close, behaviour duly changes and gaps close further. A virtuous circle replaces a vicious one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QENzkzKshpQ
    You can pump as much money into deprived areas and pay teacher 7 figure salaries and it wont make a bit of difference, failing schools are most often not down to teacher quality or administration though those can be contributory.

Failing schools come mostly down to disengaged kids who don't see the point in education and parents that support that outlook. Changing that is something you have ruled out before.

I went to such a school and the thing that kept me learning wasn't the teaching it was the other kids who not only didn't want to learn they were determined no one else should either.
    Kinabalu's education plan is very 'if I just find a big enough paddle to smack people into place with, they. will. behave. as. I. want. them. to.' No doubt the mass exodus of rich people's kids to foreign schools would call for some sort of penalty, or the world at large would just be blamed for not following the same system.
    I stress again - things like "the mass exodus of rich people's kids to foreign schools" or a "collapse in house prices in St Albans" is a collateral benefit not the main point of the reforms.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

Well that would be hilarious if improbable. But Tories to be dragged through the courts, and left floundering in a series of national emergencies due to being led by a pair of third rate dishonest morons was more what I was thinking.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I don't know? Just watched the BBC News, Boris had another great day's campaigning today. This time trying out a police motorcycle.
    Did he find it guilty?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

Well that would be hilarious if improbable. But Tories to be dragged through the courts, and left floundering in a series of national emergencies due to being led by a pair of third rate dishonest morons was more what I was thinking.
    It might be worth pondering the readvent of Ms Davidson. Mooted as temporary, but that's how Mr Carlaw himself began.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

Did he find it guilty?.
    Certainly not, he was however pleading not guilty to any personal involvement in England having the worst rate of excess deaths in Europe.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

It might be worth pondering the readvent of Ms Davidson. Mooted as temporary, but that's how Mr Carlaw himself began.
    When I first heard this news, my immediate thought was that Ruth Davidson must have had a change of heart about leadership.

Certainly her return would be dramatic, although I’m not sure it would be a game changer. Salmond excepted, leaders who come back for second stints tend not to be markedly successful.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    How many people died of Covid today?

Oh look we arent going to find out anymore

"Data on deaths has been temporarily paused while an urgent review into
    @PHE_UK data is carried out".

We dont know how many people were tested nor how many died.

FIASCO
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited July 2020

FIASCO

Has the ONS stopped functioning or something?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Classic Vince. Some textbook shots and then an embarrassing dismissal. Really don’t get why England persevere with him.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Another duffer, he should stick to his refereeing career, an absolute t***er but great news for SNP. I see Archie McPherson is calling for "invisible" Richard Leonard to resign as Labour sub regional manager, time for their annual leadership melee as well I think. What excitement we will have at the donkey derby's this summer.
  • Options

FIASCO

Not knowing for a day or two will not hurt anyone, calm down. Particularly given data gets corrected over the following days and weeks in any case.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    RobD said:

FIASCO

No, and we still get daily statistics they're just a bit worthless at the moment. I'm sure the dashboard will be updated at some point this evening.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    RobD said:

FIASCO

Are too many people dying for the government's liking??

Or too few??

• Options
    DavidL said:

Classic Vince. Some textbook shots and then an embarrassing dismissal. Really don’t get why England persevere with him.

He's a world cup winner!

But for Covid-19 he wouldn't be anywhere near this team.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

When I first heard this news, my immediate thought was that Ruth Davidson must have had a change of heart about leadership.

Certainly her return would be dramatic, although I’m not sure it would be a game changer. Salmond excepted, leaders who come back for second stints tend not to be markedly successful.
    You have to be joking , she wants a cushier number , £300 a day and huge expenses. Still to hold her first ever constituent surgery meeting as an MSP.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

I've already noted that Prof Tomkins is hors de combat by his own volition. Not suggesting that has anything tro do with Mr Carlaw's tdiming (or rather that of the chaps with knives at his back making him walk the plank).

But one thing for sure - Ms D made the SCUP the Ruth D No to Indy Party in all but the formal name at the Electoral Commission (as the elevtoral literature shows) and I don't think Mr Carlaw ever recovered from that change of public image. Also, IIRC she made a fairly heavy sweep of the past generation once Mrs Goldie was away, and brought in the new youngsters.

If her return does happen, however temporartily, someone probably ought to write a thread header on the similarities between Ms D and Mr Johnson - jolly cheeky personae, massive emphases on humorous photo ops, relentless single messages, etc. Not that she would thank me for it.

Edit: crucially, I suspect, also both were former journalists.

And if not then the new leader faces having Ms D at his back - one thinks of Messes Swinney and Salmond. Or is Mr C the Tory Swinney?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

FIASCO

Or too few??

I don't think anyone is questioning the ONS figures.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It would be white suits and van with square wheels in Scottish Tories case.
  • Options

RobD said:

FIASCO

Or too few??

The issue is PHE using the following methodology -

1) You had COVID
    2) You are dead
    3) Therefore you died of COVID

This means that anyone beaten to death by a maniacal lawyer with a baseball bat, in his wife's kimono died of COVID - if they ever had a positive test.

Since 100ks of people have had COVID, this means that every day for next few decades, PHE will be reporting deaths from COVID.

This is a bit useless.

The ONS is reporting all deaths where COVID Is on the death certificate or other paperwork.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Blimey.

If Ruth comes back, even temporary, she will give Sturgeon a run for her money