Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Privileged lives matter: the British opponents of cancel cultu

12346»

Comments

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    LadyG said:

OllyT said:

Alastair's back ...

A grim day around the world yesterday with the highest number of infections recorded in a 24-hr period since the outbreak began.

And there is no doubt about the uptick in UK cases. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The Sunday Telegraph have misreported Johnson's words, turning 'I don't want another lockdown' into 'We don't need another lockdown.' Vested interests are playing hard amongst the Telegraph writers. Their personal investment portfolios have been taking a hammering so they are doing everything to try and refloat the economy.

We are in big trouble in the UK. People still have a far too cavalier attitude to hygiene and masks. The correlation between such States and case surges is by now irrefutable.

3 or 4 weeks from now we will be in the midst of a crisis with a surge in cases, widespread panic and the beginning of blue sirens rushing the seriously ill into ICU. Without a lockdown it will be the worst that this country has known. Thousands of daily infections and a rampant virus in the community.

All part of the new tory plan.

Yeahh right, Tories eat babies.

kyf_100 said:

You can be cancelled these days for something as simple as saying "women do not have penises" on Twitter.

I fully support trans people and their right to transition, but the woke mob cancelling people for turning biology into ideology need to be stopped.

Cancel culture isn't about re-branding PC, it isn't about people with prehistoric views finally getting their comeuppance, either.

It's about deliberately and systematically silencing anyone who dares to contradict a very specific "progressive" ideology. It is dangerous. And it needs to be stopped.

Perfectly put. Cancel culture is a terrifically effective political weapon that makes public examples of a few of those with dissenting views by destroying their lives and then cows a much larger number into silence.

Well, until they get to the polling station, anyway. Then their silence is often eloquent... :wink:
    The excesses of the "woke" brigade piss me off because they can become counter productive but are the "silent majority" really winning the culture wars?

I struggle to think of any area of life that the progressives haven't won the battle over the last few decades. You only have to look back at old films and stuff to see how far the feminists, civil rights activists, gay rights campaigners, animal rights activists and anti-racists have moved the agenda relentlessly in their direction.

Even a decade ago anyone arguing for same-sex marriage would have been laughed at. When I was growing up it was fine to put up a "No Blacks No Irish sign" up in commercial premises. We used to hang people, kill foxes for sport and so on. Divorce and abortion were illegal

Social change is a constant and it pretty much moves in one-direction. The social policies of the current government would be unrecognisable to a Conservative Government of 50 years ago.
    That was half true... until very recently.

Because the Woke Left has won the culture wars - and they have, and it’s been largely a good thing - we’ve now reached a stage where the job is done. So any further ‘progress’ is going to be at the expense of others.

The clearest expression of that is the trans-TERF war. Trans rights must be furthered, theoretically, but if they are, it irritates and then angers many feminists/lesbians, who see THEIR hard fought rights (single sex provision) being degraded.

BLM will face similar problems. Other ethnic minorities, poor white people, Jews, start to say What about us?

It is also very naive to think a society always moves towards a more liberal position. Look at the last hundred years in Iran. Look at the emergence of a de facto blasphemy law in Britain.
    The odd exception does not disprove the general rule.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

kyf_100 said:

You can be cancelled these days for something as simple as saying "women do not have penises" on Twitter.

I fully support trans people and their right to transition, but the woke mob cancelling people for turning biology into ideology need to be stopped.

Cancel culture isn't about re-branding PC, it isn't about people with prehistoric views finally getting their comeuppance, either.

It's about deliberately and systematically silencing anyone who dares to contradict a very specific "progressive" ideology. It is dangerous. And it needs to be stopped.

Perfectly put. Cancel culture is a terrifically effective political weapon that makes public examples of a few of those with dissenting views by destroying their lives and then cows a much larger number into silence.

Well, until they get to the polling station, anyway. Then their silence is often eloquent... :wink:
    'The excesses of the "woke" brigade piss me off because they can become counter productive but are the "silent majority" really winning the culture wars?

I struggle to think of any area of life that the progressives haven't won the battle over the last few decades. You only have to look back at old films and stuff to see how far the feminists, civil rights activists, gay rights campaigners, animal rights activists and anti-racists have moved the agenda relentlessly in their direction.

Even a decade ago anyone arguing for same-sex marriage would have been laughed at. When I was growing up it was fine to put up a "No Blacks No Irish sign" up in commercial premises. We used to hang people, kill foxes for sport and so on. Divorce and abortion were illegal

Social change is a constant and it pretty much moves in one-direction. The social policies of the current government would be unrecognisable to a Conservative Government of 50 years ago.'
    They haven't won the battle over uncontrolled immigration, nor yet have they won the battle on transgender bathrooms or toppling statues of Churchill etc and voters still support the death penalty for serial killers and terrorists

Bit desperate there HYUFD, Very few people ever wanted Churchill's statue toppled.

A majority may want the death penalty introduced for certain offences but are you telling me that that is what the government is going to do?

There was never a battle for "uncontrolled immigration" per se, it was simply that many people believed that FOM was a price worth paying to be a part of the EU.

The fact that you are reduced to such a few pathetic examples kind of proves my point.
  • Options
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

kyf_100 said:

The excesses of the "woke" brigade piss me off because they can become counter productive but are the "silent majority" really winning the culture wars?

Social change is a constant and it pretty much moves in one-direction. The social policies of the current government would be unrecognisable to a Conservative Government of 50 years ago.
    I think the difference is that previously we were unwinding injustices (like imprisoning gays, etc). Now we’re are getting into a space where rights are conflicting and that much more challenging.

You could have said the same about same-sex marriage.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:
    Though unlike the USSR where communist Eastern Europe was on the border with the West and had to be held back by NATO, China is on the other side of the world and has shown no sign of expanding territorially beyond Taiwan even with expanded influence in Africa
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_China–India_skirmishes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_border_dispute
    The border areas in question are disputed between China and India as to which belongs to which, China is not going to invade India and try and capture Delhi
    China claims almost an entire Indian state - Arunachal Pradesh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arunachal_Pradesh
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2020
    There is substantial opposition to 'woke' Britain, if such a thing exists. but right now is it is very splintered.

James Delingpole, Darren Grimes, Toby Young etc and even folk such as Defund the BBC, Spiked and Sargon of Akkad have substantial followings, but what they do not have is an umbrella organisation.

They only have one thing in common in fact. They all want your money.

Whilst this situation prevails, the woke amongst us can rest easy. If these groups find a unifying figure and/or organisation, then that's a whole different matter.

In Hyde Park today, quite a number out for yet another of their type. Keep Britain Free.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:
    Though unlike the USSR where communist Eastern Europe was on the border with the West and had to be held back by NATO, China is on the other side of the world and has shown no sign of expanding territorially beyond Taiwan even with expanded influence in Africa
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_China–India_skirmishes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_border_dispute
    The border areas in question are disputed between China and India as to which belongs to which, China is not going to invade India and try and capture Delhi
    China claims almost an entire Indian state - Arunachal Pradesh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arunachal_Pradesh
    It claims the part which is basically South Tibet only
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    As a member of the Free Speech Union what i believe is that there is now such an establishment religous cult about 3 issues:
    Climate Change,Feminism & Multi-Culturism that nobody would get a significant job in MSM TV , education or the arts who held sceptical views on those issues and if any significant figure expressed sceptical views they would be sacked.
    The recent coverage of Black Lives Matter by MSM has been an example.It has been relentess one way propangada .
    Or take Cineworld's banning of Roman Polanski's latest film from UK distribution just prior to the lockown.Or the recent treatment of Woody Allen or even of the leftist's Michael Moore film that questioned green beliefs
    Something is going on that was not going on before. Allen,Moore and Polanski were never banned before like this
This discussion has been closed.