Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Privileged lives matter: the British opponents of cancel cultu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited July 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Privileged lives matter: the British opponents of cancel culture and their very debatable motives

I agree with Sarah https://t.co/NmY6jKBcyi

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    That is a great header Alastair :+1:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Cash vs card is probably going to be the next cultural divide. All the pubs in places like Richmond and Barnes will be card only, whereas a lot of the pubs in Burnley and Redcar will continue to take cash (and most of their customers will be happy with that state of affairs).

I've used minimal amounts of currency since this blew up. Most small places insist on contactless for any value however small. A couple of takeaways that don't do plastic but all bar one can be ordered and paid for online.

There will be some resistance from people who like to use our pretend money in physical form. Me, happy to use contactless on everything if possible. By Google Pay preferably
    When I was in Stockholm a couple of years ago, I struggled to find places, bars, restaurants, hotels, museums to take cash. Everything was electronic. That is the future of money.

Indeed it reaches the point that the currency that the transaction takes place in becomes irrelevant. The pound Sterling will vanish not with a bang, but with a whimper.
    Currencies will be of great relevance for so long as sovereign states exist. Consider what has become of people in countries like Greece as the consequence of no longer having one.

I'm pretty confident that most of us won't be being paid in dollars, euros, yuan, krona or rupees, or spending them in the local shops, any time soon.
    Cash != Currency

They may not have taken cash in Stockholm, but transactions were still in Swedish Krona.
    Yes, but it no longer matters which currency is used. Electronic transactions will gradually erode national currencies.
    Actually, I broadly agree with that. I suspect that the next decade is going to see an interesting battle: governments will seek to control and debase money, while individuals will seek to circumvent those controls.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,919
    edited July 2020
    Which of these discussions is the real one? This thread appears to be up twice!

And good morning one and all. It was good to get back to cricket in our small community yesterday. Sitting in the sun, sipping a pint of draught beer and watch the locals get back into the game made me feel a great deal better about the world. For a bit, anyway!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    Interesting article, not convinced the motivations offered are the whole explanation but they make some sense.

When the Chomsky/Rowling letter was published, several posters who imo are invariably right (or at least never completely wrong) thought it an important letter that should be a big concern for us all.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the letter I do not see the problem as significant outside of the twitter universe.

"Journalists are barred from writing on certain topics" - yet it has never been easier for journalists to write about and highlight exactly what they want to

"Heads of organisations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes"
    "Editors are fired for running controversial pieces"

I asked across a couple of days for examples of the above, the only one anyone was willing to offer was a scientist who got "fired recently" for wearing a sexist t-shirt. Only he didnt get fired, and is still working there 6 years after the "recent" event took place.

Are either of the above really a great problem? If so it should be easy to list a half a dozen prominent examples of each? I am sure there will be some examples, but then bosses have always been fired, sometimes for good or bad reasons, and editors have always had a tension with their paymasters that occasionally causes sackings. There definitely is a real problem on twitter but then define it like that, dont claim it is a problem across wider society.

The reason I bring this back up, is that the problem is not just the establishment journalists on the right seeking to protect their position, the same sentiments are felt by those on the liberal and left flanks as well.

My explanation - they all spend too much time and energy on Twitter and conflate it with real life!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Betting Post

Good morning, everyone.

F1: backed Bottas to win each wat at 4.6 (with boost). Green if he's 1st or 2nd.

Also backed Ocon and Ricciardo not to be classified at 3.1 and 3.5 (again with boost) based on Renault's 50% failure rate so far.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2020/07/hungary-pre-race-2020.html
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited July 2020
    Alastair's back ...

A grim day around the world yesterday with the highest number of infections recorded in a 24-hr period since the outbreak began.

And there is no doubt about the uptick in UK cases. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The Sunday Telegraph have misreported Johnson's words, turning 'I don't want another lockdown' into 'We don't need another lockdown.' Vested interests are playing hard amongst the Telegraph writers. Their personal investment portfolios have been taking a hammering so they are doing everything to try and refloat the economy.

We are in big trouble in the UK. People still have a far too cavalier attitude to hygiene and masks. The correlation between such States and case surges is by now irrefutable.

3 or 4 weeks from now we will be in the midst of a crisis with a surge in cases, widespread panic and the beginning of blue sirens rushing the seriously ill into ICU. Without a lockdown it will be the worst that this country has known. Thousands of daily infections and a rampant virus in the community.

All part of the new tory plan.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Well said Antifrank!

(Whoever is admin: this post has a duplicate on Vanilla. And incidentally, posts occasionally turn up on Vanilla as “Template”, or are missing content altogether. PB really is a technical dinosaur: you must be missing lots of younger potential readers/contributors due to the unusability of the site.)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

And good morning one and all. It was good to get back to cricket in our small community yesterday. Sitting in the sun, sipping a pint of draught beer and watch the locals get back into the game made me feel a great deal better about the world. For a bit, anyway!

ditto.. but I saw more wides in an innings than ever! I think the bowlers radar was off by some way..
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Alastair's back ...

A grim day around the world yesterday with the highest number of infections recorded in a 24-hr period since the outbreak began.

And there is no doubt about the uptick in UK cases. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The Sunday Telegraph have misreported Johnson's words, turning 'I don't want another lockdown' into 'We don't need another lockdown.' Vested interests are playing hard amongst the Telegraph writers. Their personal investment portfolios have been taking a hammering so they are doing everything to try and refloat the economy.

We are in big trouble in the UK. People still have a far too cavalier attitude to hygiene and masks. The correlation between such States and case surges is by now irrefutable.

3 or 4 weeks from now we will be in the midst of a crisis with a surge in cases, widespread panic and the beginning of blue sirens rushing the seriously ill into ICU. Without a lockdown it will be the worst that this country has known. Thousands of daily infections and a rampant virus in the community.

All part of the new tory plan.

Yeahh right, Tories eat babies.
  • Options

ditto.. but I saw more wides in an innings than ever! I think the bowlers radar was off by some way..
    Bowling was OK, but some of the fielding couldn't be described as 'sharp'. There was on excellent boundary rope catch though!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    As with all journalism the words need to be looked at carefully. Mr Meeks's article, excellent though it is, goes way beyond the actual meaning of the actual words of both Vine and Boulton. The words beg questions, of course but are in themselves anodyne and uncontroversial.

A discussion of the relation of 'libertarian' and 'liberal' would shed more light.
  • Options
    Well, there was that charity boss who got turfed out from the charity he'd founded with his redundancy money for the cardinal sin of visiting BLM's website, reading it, and disagreeing with their avowed aims of ending capitalism and defunding the police.

https://twitter.com/NickBuckleyMBE/status/1283818837830512642
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

A discussion of the relation of 'libertarian' and 'liberal' would shed more light.

Why? I’ve never seen such a discussion ever shedding any light whatsoever. Except to illustrate why PBers are extremely odd and why very few people around here understand how normal voters think and behave.
  • Options

Well, there was that charity boss who got turfed out from the charity he'd founded with his redundancy money for the cardinal sin of visiting BLM's website, reading it, and disagreeing with their avowed aims of ending capitalism and defunding the police.

If that is the whole story then it is very wrong for him to be sacked.

The charities version is "Contrary to what has been said by others, our decision to terminate our relationship with Mr Buckley was not based on, nor influenced by, his personal blog posts, nor any social media comments or online petitions. As was made clear to Mr Buckley at the time, the board of trustees took the appropriate action to protect the charity’s reputation following legal advice and Charity Commission guidance".

We have no way of knowing which is correct.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

The charities version is "Contrary to what has been said by others, our decision to terminate our relationship with Mr Buckley was not based on, nor influenced by, his personal blog posts, nor any social media comments or online petitions. As was made clear to Mr Buckley at the time, the board of trustees took the appropriate action to protect the charity’s reputation following legal advice and Charity Commission guidance".

BiB - are they saying that there's something else going on, misconduct or some such?
  • Options
    Mr. Above, I'm not persuaded by the total lack of detail the charity offers.

The obvious question is: what are those reasons?

He founded the charity with his own redundancy and, from memory, ran it for a couple of decades to good effect.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

BiB - are they saying that there's something else going on, misconduct or some such?
    They are clearly claiming "something else" is the reason as it "was not based on, nor influenced by, his personal blog posts, nor any social media comments or online petitions."

I have absolutely no idea what the something else is.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Why? I’ve never seen such a discussion ever shedding any light whatsoever. Except to illustrate why PBers are extremely odd and why very few people around here understand how normal voters think and behave.
    Quite right. I think PB is at its best when talking about political betting. There is definite valuable insight offered then by many .If one thing the collective PB are good at its numbers analysis which is very helpful for betting especially in a FPTP election. I bore of most of the ideological debate that creeps into this site away from elections . PB has also get a lot more ruder (being disrespectful to others) and cruder (language) over the last year or two .That's not a good thing.
    I disagree about the ruder and cruder bit. You obviously never witnessed the systematic, vicious, prolonged bullying; the downright lies and smearing; nor the notorious SeanT sex and drug posting.

PB is extremely sedate these days.
  • Options

Mr. Above, I'm not persuaded by the total lack of detail the charity offers.

The obvious question is: what are those reasons?

He founded the charity with his own redundancy and, from memory, ran it for a couple of decades to good effect.

As per previous post, I have no idea and dont think its fair to speculate on the potential reasons. I am not persuaded by their post either, it may be corporate spin to protect themselves. On the hand it might be real. We really have no way of knowing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,369

algarkirk said:

Which tends also to be in a rather odd manner.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416

algarkirk said:

Quite right. I think PB is at its best when talking about political betting. There is definite valuable insight offered then by many .If one thing the collective PB are good at its numbers analysis which is very helpful for betting especially in a FPTP election. I bore of most of the ideological debate that creeps into this site away from elections . PB has also get a lot more ruder (being disrespectful to others) and cruder (language) over the last year or two .That's not a good thing.
    I disagree about the ruder and cruder bit. You obviously never witnessed the systematic, vicious, prolonged bullying; the downright lies and smearing; nor the notorious SeanT sex and drug posting.

Ha Ha I believe he still lurks in various disguises ! His redeeming features is bursts of optimism and a love of London imo. Away from him I definitely think it has become cruder and ruder over the years
  • Options
    Mr. Above, true, but given he has a specific claim and the sequence of events at least matches up, and their retort is just "No, it was other reasons we are not specifying at all" I'm more inclined to believe him.

The cultish enthusiasm and complacent indulgence of this nonsense makes people very vulnerable to occupational vengeance should they have the temerity to have an opinion that is deemed heretical.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Whatever happened to SeanT?
  • Options
    I can’t see this helping Spain to hold on to Catalonia:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-53415781

The ghost of Franco still stalks Iberia.
  • Options

Mr. Above, true, but given he has a specific claim and the sequence of events at least matches up, and their retort is just "No, it was other reasons we are not specifying at all" I'm more inclined to believe him.

The cultish enthusiasm and complacent indulgence of this nonsense makes people very vulnerable to occupational vengeance should they have the temerity to have an opinion that is deemed heretical.

His opinion isnt heretical though. You may not find a single poster on here who thinks he should be sacked for his linked in post.

Ianal but would expect employment law would often make it difficult for organisations to disclose publicly why they sacked someone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

They are clearly claiming "something else" is the reason as it "was not based on, nor influenced by, his personal blog posts, nor any social media comments or online petitions."

A remarkable coincidence in terms of timing. Balance of probabilities is that they are lying *****.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53444752 I wonder how this sort of story will impact the reparations movement, I remember a few weeks ago there was outrage at a Tory councillor commenting about the involvement of Africans in the slave trade. I assumed, like many, he was wrong. Maybe not.
  • Options
    “The marquee was called The Duke of York and was said to have a very laid back theme with sofas, a jukebox, draft beer and a dartboard.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/princess-beatrices-reception-had-bouncy-22379088.amp

Barf.

I wouldn’t let the Duke of York anywhere near a bouncy castle. Especially when a sofa and copious amounts of alcohol are in the vicinity.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

He’s lost his touch.
  • Options
    Mr. Above, whether a peasant consider a view heretical doesn't matter. What matters is what the cardinal thinks.

It is a fair point that employment law may prevent useful disclosure of information for deciding the exact state of play. The cultish Zeitgeist and intolerance of other views leading to nonsense like the Leader of the Opposition getting on his knees and submitting to re-education is certainly true, however.

Mr. Kinsella, it'll get relatively little attention because it's historically accurate but less politically fashionable than attacking the British Empire and indulging the new religion (especially the love of middle class white people self-flagellating to prove their virtue).
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    If there was a better search function, I'd do a map of when the phrase 'second wave' was used on here and see if it correlated in any way to what we actually saw.

I can't see beyond a, frankly deliberate, conflation of three separate phenomena:

*small increases in R due to people mingling
    *a Autumn/Winter peak due to significant changes in behaviour that comes with the colder, wetter weather
    *looking at Spanish flu and thinking that was nailed on

Throw in a limited understanding of our own immunity mechanisms and ...

yeah.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    I am sure that I have just not had enough coffee yet but I am really struggling to follow Alastair's point. Is he saying that cancel culture is a good thing and that people should be held to account for their views or is he saying that true libertarianism not only includes the right to say what you want but the right of others to sack you if that is how they feel about what you have said?

I think its the former and I am not sure that I agree. What I am seeing is not a wider range of views but a somewhat hyperbolic conformism where expressing any reservations threatens to make you a non person or unacceptable. So, for example, not a single footballer has had the courage or freedom of thought to refuse to "take the knee" apparently in support of an organisation that wants to end the capitalist system that creates their pampered existence. Whether the mob agree with JK Rowling's views on transgenders or not should she really have been criticised so severely for expressing them?

I, like most comfortable, white, entitled people, have an instinctive aversion to the mob. And Twitter and the like seem to have given the mob more of a voice and more power than we have ever seen before. I really don't like this desperate need to conform. I think its dangerous. Its why I welcomed Boris refusing to sack Cummings in the face of that hysterical overreaction to his stupidity and selfishness. It's not that Cummings was right, he clearly wasn't, but that kind of power needs to be resisted.

None of this stops Toby Young from being a dick of course.
  • Options

Mr. Above, whether a peasant consider a view heretical doesn't matter. What matters is what the cardinal thinks.

It is a fair point that employment law may prevent useful disclosure of information for deciding the exact state of play. The cultish Zeitgeist and intolerance of other views leading to nonsense like the Leader of the Opposition getting on his knees and submitting to re-education is certainly true, however.

Mr. Kinsella, it'll get relatively little attention because it's historically accurate but less politically fashionable than attacking the British Empire and indulging the new religion (especially the love of middle class white people self-flagellating to prove their virtue).

I am no peasant (not a cardinal either) and neither are most posters here, there are plenty here who will be the kind of people deciding whether he kept his job or not. If very few or none of us think he should be sacked then using words like heretical is hyperbole at best.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am sure that I have just not had enough coffee yet but I am really struggling to follow Alastair's point. Is he saying that cancel culture is a good thing and that people should be held to account for their views or is he saying that true libertarianism not only includes the right to say what you want but the right of others to sack you if that is how they feel about what you have said?

I think its the former and I am not sure that I agree. What I am seeing is not a wider range of views but a somewhat hyperbolic conformism where expressing any reservations threatens to make you a non person or unacceptable. So, for example, not a single footballer has had the courage or freedom of thought to refuse to "take the knee" apparently in support of an organisation that wants to end the capitalist system that creates their pampered existence. Whether the mob agree with JK Rowling's views on transgenders or not should she really have been criticised so severely for expressing them?

I, like most comfortable, white, entitled people, have an instinctive aversion to the mob. And Twitter and the like seem to have given the mob more of a voice and more power than we have ever seen before. I really don't like this desperate need to conform. I think its dangerous. Its why I welcomed Boris refusing to sack Cummings in the face of that hysterical overreaction to his stupidity and selfishness. It's not that Cummings was right, he clearly wasn't, but that kind of power needs to be resisted.

Really? You still havent got that they were not kneeling for an organisation but for a thought that has the same name?

I am a fan of green politics but not Green party politics. No-one finds that hard to understand.

It is that simple.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    edited July 2020

algarkirk said:

He’s lost his touch.
    Not all that he has lost, going from his latest...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Cash vs card is probably going to be the next cultural divide. All the pubs in places like Richmond and Barnes will be card only, whereas a lot of the pubs in Burnley and Redcar will continue to take cash (and most of their customers will be happy with that state of affairs).

I've used minimal amounts of currency since this blew up. Most small places insist on contactless for any value however small. A couple of takeaways that don't do plastic but all bar one can be ordered and paid for online.

There will be some resistance from people who like to use our pretend money in physical form. Me, happy to use contactless on everything if possible. By Google Pay preferably
    When I was in Stockholm a couple of years ago, I struggled to find places, bars, restaurants, hotels, museums to take cash. Everything was electronic. That is the future of money.

Indeed it reaches the point that the currency that the transaction takes place in becomes irrelevant. The pound Sterling will vanish not with a bang, but with a whimper.
    Upon your next trip to Svea’s kingdom, you will find that the situation has become even more extreme in the past two years, and especially the last six months. Cash is pretty much non-existent now in Swedish society, outwith people over the age of 80 and newer immigrant groups.

Our household (currently, temporarily, six people) never use cash. The last time I actively handled any was after a party I needed to return a couple of heavy boxes of unused booze to Systembolaget, the state monopoly alcohol retailer (which is fantastic by the way, not least because of their extremely easy returns system). I was forced to rummage about in a dusty drawer trying to find a 5 or 10 kronor coin to use to unlock one of their trolleys.

I have maybe handled a banknote max five times in the last 12 months. All five having been given as birthday presents by very elderly people. Banknotes are universally considered a massive pain in the arse, and no local bank offices accept them.

One of the quaint, old-fashioned aspects of visiting other countries is re-acquainting yourself with cash. I still can’t believe that 1p, 2p and 5p coins still exist. Thank goodness for charity boxes!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

As a comfortable, white, entitled person, you are part of a mob. You just lack the perspective to see it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Which tends also to be in a rather odd manner.
    Touché.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Great header. I hadn't made the final connection to accountability pressure on the media, but I think you're on to something.

To me, it was simply more that the American right need a culture war to get people out to vote. In the same way that Obama wasn't really coming for your guns, they need people to worry about free speech.

And regrettably, where the American right go, the British right follow.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    I always
    DavidL said:

Whenever Toby Young supports something, I am instinctively inclined to oppose it. Which is a problem as Toby Young may - occasionally - be in the right.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Upon your next trip to Svea’s kingdom, you will find that the situation has become even more extreme in the past two years, and especially the last six months. Cash is pretty much non-existent now in Swedish society, outwith people over the age of 80 and newer immigrant groups.

Our household (currently, temporarily, six people) never use cash. The last time I actively handled any was after a party I needed to return a couple of heavy boxes of unused booze to Systembolaget, the state monopoly alcohol retailer (which is fantastic by the way, not least because of their extremely easy returns system). I was forced to rummage about in a dusty drawer trying to find a 5 or 10 kronor coin to use to unlock one of their trolleys.

I have maybe handled a banknote max five times in the last 12 months. All five having been given as birthday presents by very elderly people. Banknotes are universally considered a massive pain in the arse, and no local bank offices accept them.

One of the quaint, old-fashioned aspects of visiting other countries is re-acquainting yourself with cash. I still can’t believe that 1p, 2p and 5p coins still exist. Thank goodness for charity boxes!
    I've always rather liked cash, and handling foreign notes and coins, but that's the numismatist in me.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

algarkirk said:

Quite right. I think PB is at its best when talking about political betting. There is definite valuable insight offered then by many .If one thing the collective PB are good at its numbers analysis which is very helpful for betting especially in a FPTP election. I bore of most of the ideological debate that creeps into this site away from elections . PB has also get a lot more ruder (being disrespectful to others) and cruder (language) over the last year or two .That's not a good thing. If people do re-tweet and paste on here then can they at least ensure its not containing swearing as it tends to then especially stand out and rarely enhances a point.
    Go join a knitting club and you won't have your sensibilities offended.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

He probably did not like the big fat salaries they were all handing out to each other and that peed them off big time.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Quite right. I think PB is at its best when talking about political betting. There is definite valuable insight offered then by many .If one thing the collective PB are good at its numbers analysis which is very helpful for betting especially in a FPTP election. I bore of most of the ideological debate that creeps into this site away from elections . PB has also get a lot more ruder (being disrespectful to others) and cruder (language) over the last year or two .That's not a good thing. If people do re-tweet and paste on here then can they at least ensure its not containing swearing as it tends to then especially stand out and rarely enhances a point.
    Its not about sensibilities its about adults generally needing to spend their time doing something constructive and not having to waste time on juvenile and immature content.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

He’s lost his touch.
    Please do fill me in with the latest gossip. I have stopped reading his latest characters. He’s like Enid Blyton: one or two of his early works showed promise, but crikey, don’t peruse the masses of dross he churns out too carefully.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alastair’s point appears to be that ‘the mob’ is just another grouping expressing strong opinions which have gained some traction. And those holding countervailing opinions unreasonably believe that to be unfair.

None of that seems to have prevented a fairly robust debate pointing out how Black Lives Matter as an organisation carries rather more baggage than Black Lives Matter as a principle.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I always

DavidL said:

Whenever Toby Young supports something, I am instinctively inclined to oppose it. Which is a problem as Toby Young may - occasionally - be in the right.
    I am the same. But even when he is right he can usually be counted on to take it too far or simply be illogical in his conclusions.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Those were the days , bring back the old Sean, with his wonderful witty / pithy prose. Insults in those days were poetry.
  • Options

That is a great header Alastair :+1:

Agreed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

As a comfortable, white, entitled person, you are part of a mob. You just lack the perspective to see it.
    Why do you think I made those points? I am acknowledging that I am a part of and benefit from the status quo. If I lacked the perspective to see that I would not have used those words. In doing so I am acknowledging that if I had been a victim of racism, sexism etc. I may feel differently. I do not have that perspective but I am not unaware of it.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53444752 I wonder how this sort of story will impact the reparations movement, I remember a few weeks ago there was outrage at a Tory councillor commenting about the involvement of Africans in the slave trade. I assumed, like many, he was wrong. Maybe not.

It's interesting how the British were using both a carrot and stick to try to eliminate Nigerian slavery, and never quite succeeded, during the colonial period. Slavery remains very much a feature of life in West Africa.

The term "slavery" can cover quite a wide variety of systems. You can have really brutal forms of chattel slavery, where people are just worked till they die, and get replaced, like 18th century Haiti. Or you can have systems where slaves are people, with some rights, not chattels. Quite a big litmus test for the brutality of slavery is whether children of slaves take the status of the mother or the father. If a master fathers a child on a slave, but the child is free (which I believe is common in West Africa), that's a powerful incentive to free the mother. If the child is a slave, it simply boosts the slave population.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

He’s lost his touch.
    Please do fill me in with the latest gossip. I have stopped reading his latest characters. He’s like Enid Blyton: one or two of his early works showed promise, but crikey, don’t peruse the masses of dross he churns out too carefully.
    I’m not party to any gossip. I just observe that nowadays he doesn’t have any balls.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Have you never heard of cross-stitching? Vicious I tell you, vicious.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Currencies will be of great relevance for so long as sovereign states exist. Consider what has become of people in countries like Greece as the consequence of no longer having one.

I'm pretty confident that most of us won't be being paid in dollars, euros, yuan, krona or rupees, or spending them in the local shops, any time soon.
    Cash != Currency

They may not have taken cash in Stockholm, but transactions were still in Swedish Krona.
    Yes, but it no longer matters which currency is used. Electronic transactions will gradually erode national currencies.
    Actually, I broadly agree with that. I suspect that the next decade is going to see an interesting battle: governments will seek to control and debase money, while individuals will seek to circumvent those controls.
    What do you make of this new AI ?
    https://twitter.com/edleonklinger/status/1284251419172909057
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Interesting article, not convinced the motivations offered are the whole explanation but they make some sense.

When the Chomsky/Rowling letter was published, several posters who imo are invariably right (or at least never completely wrong) thought it an important letter that should be a big concern for us all.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the letter I do not see the problem as significant outside of the twitter universe.

"Journalists are barred from writing on certain topics" - yet it has never been easier for journalists to write about and highlight exactly what they want to

"Heads of organisations are ousted for what are sometimes just clumsy mistakes"
    "Editors are fired for running controversial pieces"

I asked across a couple of days for examples of the above, the only one anyone was willing to offer was a scientist who got "fired recently" for wearing a sexist t-shirt. Only he didnt get fired, and is still working there 6 years after the "recent" event took place.

Are either of the above really a great problem? If so it should be easy to list a half a dozen prominent examples of each? I am sure there will be some examples, but then bosses have always been fired, sometimes for good or bad reasons, and editors have always had a tension with their paymasters that occasionally causes sackings. There definitely is a real problem on twitter but then define it like that, dont claim it is a problem across wider society.

The reason I bring this back up, is that the problem is not just the establishment journalists on the right seeking to protect their position, the same sentiments are felt by those on the liberal and left flanks as well.

My explanation - they all spend too much time and energy on Twitter and conflate it with real life!

If the "sexist T-shirt" is the one I think it is, then it was Dr Matt Taylor of the Rosetta project, a shirt with women all over it.

The irony being, it was bought him by his wife, so he would have something smart for the telly.... (I was told this by the project manager John Ellwood, who lives in Dartmouth).
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, aye. It's disconcerting when one agrees with an idiot.

Mr. Mark, I recall an online mob drove him to apologise for the temerity to wear a shirt he liked.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The dexamethasome paper has been published.
    Big benefit for those on ventilators; the rest, not so much.

https://twitter.com/MartinLandray/status/1284157065498427393
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Sorry, Malc, you've obviously never seen anyone get on the wrong side of the members of knitting club. Anyway what was Madame Defarge supposed to do?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Sean_F said:

It's interesting how the British were using both a carrot and stick to try to eliminate Nigerian slavery, and never quite succeeded, during the colonial period. Slavery remains very much a feature of life in West Africa.

The term "slavery" can cover quite a wide variety of systems. You can have really brutal forms of chattel slavery, where people are just worked till they die, and get replaced, like 18th century Haiti. Or you can have systems where slaves are people, with some rights, not chattels. Quite a big litmus test for the brutality of slavery is whether children of slaves take the status of the mother or the father. If a master fathers a child on a slave, but the child is free (which I believe is common in West Africa), that's a powerful incentive to free the mother. If the child is a slave, it simply boosts the slave population.
    As a general reply on this topic, if European colonisers were responsible for slavery, it must puzzle people how the abolition of slavery pre-dates the colonisation of Africa by decades.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

There's also a complication where slaves and masters are physically distinct.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

There’s plenty of needle involved as well.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That's true, although in the ancient world, masters were perfectly happy to work members of their own ethnic groups to death.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I've always rather liked cash, and handling foreign notes and coins, but that's the numismatist in me.
    I also like a nice wad of cash
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

PB has also get a lot more ruder (being disrespectful to others) and cruder (language) over the last year or two .That's not a good thing. If people do re-tweet and paste on here then can they at least ensure its not containing swearing as it tends to then especially stand out and rarely enhances a point.

This is you.

• Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Re cash v cards: I haven’t been to Germany for a couple of decades. Is it still as keen on cash as it was? I seem to remember that a lot of places were cash only.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That's true, although in the ancient world, masters were perfectly happy to work members of their own ethnic groups to death.
    Happens today, does it not? Modern slavery?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    (nb ‘Viral load’ here means specifically the quantity of virus detected in nasal swabs from infected patients, as that is the only thing they measured.)

ASSOCIATION OF INITIAL VIRAL LOAD IN SARS-CoV-2 PATIENTS WITH OUTCOME AND SYMPTOMS
    https://ajp.amjpathol.org/article/S0002-9440(20)30328-X/fulltext
    The dynamics of viral load (VL) of the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and its association with different clinical parameters remain poorly characterized in the United States patient population. Herein we investigate associations between VL and parameters such as severity of symptoms, disposition (admission vs direct discharge), length of hospitalization, and admission to the intensive care unit, length of need for oxygen support and overall survival in a cohort of 205 patients from a tertiary care center in New York City. VL was determined using q-PCR and Log10 transformed for normalization. Univariate and multivariate regression models were used to test these associations. We found that diagnostic viral load is significantly lower in hospitalized patients than in patients not hospitalized (log10 VL = 3.3 vs.4.0; p=0.018) after adjusting for age, sex, race, BMI, and comorbidities. Higher VL was associated with shorter duration of the symptoms in all patients and hospitalized patients only and shorter hospital stay (coefficient =-2.02,-2.61, -2.18; p < 0.001, p=0.002, p=0.013, respectively). No significant association was noted between VL, admission to ICU, length of oxygen support, and overall survival. Our findings suggest a higher shedding risk in less symptomatic patients; an important consideration for containment strategies in SARS-CoV-2. Furthermore, we identify a novel association between viral load and history of cancer. Larger studies are warranted to validate our findings.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

It can be very clicky I've heard.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

Its not about sensibilities its about adults generally needing to spend their time doing something constructive and not having to waste time on juvenile and immature content.
    Only in your old fuddy duddy mind I would think. Those adults may be thinking your content is mince but are just too polite to tell you that is is utter crap and boring the tits off them.
  • Options
    Fascinating. Just discovered that it's apparently possible to download and print a paper tax return and then post that, rather than having to fill one in online. HMRC did a great job of making the online approach seem mandatory, skilfully hiding a much easier alternative.

Of course, they could've just bloody sent out paper returns as worked perfectly well for the last decade in the first place...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

He’s lost his touch.
    More in common with Enid Blyton than you might think, or so it would seem.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Sean_F said:

As a general reply on this topic, if European colonisers were responsible for slavery, it must puzzle people how the abolition of slavery pre-dates the colonisation of Africa by decades.

Of course, slavery was a basic business operation in Africa from at least the time of Arab slavers in the 7th century - and probably for a long time before that.

We should also never miss an opportunty to raise the plight of Devon and Cornwall villagers, taken into slavery in the 1600's by Moorish corsairs. Perhaps they should have a statue?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-42515373/barbary-piracy-that-enslaved-thousands-culturally-erased
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    edited July 2020
    Great header by the way!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

It can be very clicky I've heard.
    What idiot mentioned knitting
  • Options

Fascinating. Just discovered that it's apparently possible to download and print a paper tax return and then post that, rather than having to fill one in online. HMRC did a great job of making the online approach seem mandatory, skilfully hiding a much easier alternative.

Of course, they could've just bloody sent out paper returns as worked perfectly well for the last decade in the first place...

That is a strange use of the word “easier” which I was not previously aware of...
  • Options

MD why not just fill it in and send online , why need to send a paper copy. you just save a copy to your Hard drive.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Of course, slavery was a basic business operation in Africa from at least the time of Arab slavers in the 7th century - and probably for a long time before that.

We should also never miss an opportunty to raise the plight of Devon and Cornwall villagers, taken into slavery in the 1600's by Moorish corsairs. Perhaps they should have a statue?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-42515373/barbary-piracy-that-enslaved-thousands-culturally-erased
    Its palpably obvious that slaves have existed in many different cultures and time periods throughout human history, including our own. It is probably also true that the worst period for slavery (or at least one of them) was during the Atlantic slave trade.
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, you can always entertain yourself with the writings of Thaddeus White. Sir Edric and the Plague has become strangely topical of late.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edric-Plague-Hero-Hornska-Book-ebook/dp/B07BN2W1L7/
  • Options
    Mr. Teacher/Mr. G, I'm old-fashioned. And it was a pain in the arse getting my account verified because the codes kept on failing so I had to use an alternative methods wasting time and incurring (modest, so far) expense, which itself has proven a source of aggravation as it turns out a telecoms giant struggles with the advanced concept of making site registration work.

So the 'convenience' of the shift is rather lost on me, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Cancel culture is absolutely a problem. Even a cursory glance at the Free Speech Union website gives a whole ream of examples (from across the political spectrum) who have been affected by it.

That's why they have a very good team of lawyers working for them now, who have already helped several people be reinstated at work.

I joined when I was accused (totally baselessly) of racism by one or two regular posters on this forum just because I critiqued the wisdom of ripping down the statue of Edward Colston. In today's day and age that accusation alone ("the smell") can be enough for you to lose your job and livelihood, or severely inhibit your career. No employer would touch you with a bargepole. Hence, the legal protection is worth it.

I note that the author used to be anonymous on this forum himself until he reached a stage in his career where -being a very secure partner and only a few years from retirement - he felt it safe enough to come 'out' under his real name. And not be shy about saying what he really thought and what he thought about those who disagreed with him.

Fine - but don't assume those same privileged options are open to all of us who still rely on employment but aren't independently wealthy enough to be brave about it and dismiss those who aren't.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

He probably did not like the big fat salaries they were all handing out to each other and that peed them off big time.
    The trustees of the charity concerned are unpaid, as is the case with the vast majority of trustees of all charities.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Toby Young is a Johnson/Gove/Cummings outrider doing his bit to fight the culture war the Tories correctly believe is essential to keeping their voting coalition together. There’s not much more to see in his free speech union than that.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Its palpably obvious that slaves have existed in many different cultures and time periods throughout human history, including our own. It is probably also true that the worst period for slavery (or at least one of them) was during the Atlantic slave trade.
    It was widely written about, and major British commercial interests were involved. And the Navy. Are there, I wonder, comparable records in Dutch, French, Spanish or Portuguese? Although of course one of the results of the French Revolution was the freeing of slaves.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    This is the full paper:
    Contact Tracing during Coronavirus Disease Outbreak, South Korea, 2020
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

There are caveats and potential confounding factors, but it’s unequivocal that older children are pretty good at spreading infection.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

I always

DavidL said:

I can assure you when he supported Living Marxism in their genocide denial in the name of "free speech" he was in the wrong.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Test
    Sorry about that: Vanilla messing up quotations.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Yes free speech covers the right to complain about things that offend you. That extends not just to those seeking cancellations but to those complaining about cancellations too. And in Mr Meeks case to those complaining about those complaining about cancellations. And in the case of those attacking Mr Meeks it extends to those complaining about those complaining about those complaining about cancellations.

And for those who attack those who attack Mr Meeks it extends to those complaining about those complaining about those complaining about those complaining about cancellations.

Its simple really isn't it?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

The great majority of slaves taken by Europeans from Africa were sold to them by other Africans. Direct raids in which Europeans snatched people from coastal areas were not particularly common (in contrast with the North African or Barbary slave trade, in which Africans abducted large numbers of Europeans through pirate raids on coastal settlements and ships at sea.)

This is why historians talk about the Triangular Trade when discussing the history of slavery: Europeans (and Americans of European descent) sailed to Africa with ships loaded with trade goods, they bought African slaves from other Africans with the goods, carried the slaves off to work their plantations, and then shipped the goods from the plantations back to their population centres for sale. The value of the plantation goods vastly exceeded the price paid to purchase and feed the slaves, hence the massive profits generated.

People who talk about reparations tend not to mention either the Barbary trade or the sale of African slaves by other Africans. It suits them to simplify history and to portray pre-modern Africans uniformly as defenceless victims of the most appalling violence. The African slaves were, of course, defenceless victims of the most appalling violence. The many Africans who profited from taking and selling slaves, not so much.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It was widely written about, and major British commercial interests were involved. And the Navy. Are there, I wonder, comparable records in Dutch, French, Spanish or Portuguese? Although of course one of the results of the French Revolution was the freeing of slaves.
    And then Napoleon came along and reversed the process.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    The government are taking an interesting approach to the imminent Integrated Defence Review. They come up with idea - could be good, but it's probably bollocks - and leak it to the Daily Mirror and see how it goes down with that section of the population who eat Gregg's pasties outside vape shops as part of their daily routine..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-aims-rip-heart-22378127

This is at least the third time they've done this.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The thing I find most offensive about the antigwoke cancel Culture warriors is their ludicrous claims about how this is a recent phenomena.

The dire warning about free speech at university are nail spittingly ignorant at best and deliberate lies at worst.

The NUS adopted no-platforming as an official position against racists in *checks notes* 1974. Legislation to force Universities to let people speak was passed in 1986, the University of Liverpool was sued under the law under to let South African diplomats speak.

Either the anti-cancel culture warriors are ignorant of this history or they know and are failing to mention there has been a mythical 'free speech' crisis at universities for the the last 50+ years.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

The thing I find most offensive about the antigwoke cancel Culture warriors is their ludicrous claims about how this is a recent phenomena.

The dire warning about free speech at university are nail spittingly ignorant at best and deliberate lies at worst.

The NUS adopted no-platforming as an official position against racists in *checks notes* 1974. Legislation to force Universities to let people speak was passed in 1986, the University of Liverpool was sued under the law under to let South African diplomats speak.

Either the anti-cancel culture warriors are ignorant of this history or they know and are failing to mention there has been a mythical 'free speech' crisis at universities for the the last 50+ years.

I opposed No Platform when I was at university. At the time my Student Union was one of the very few in the entire country to reject No Platform and had a principle of Free Speech instead. I was proud that our one rejected No Platform and had Free Speech instead and would encourage that for others . . . every year the battle to reject No Platforming had to be rewon and I see no reason to stop fighting that battle even if its a battle that's been lost elsewhere.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    A great header. Three cheers is insufficient. So five.

"Cancel Culture" is a self-serving invention of privileged whining tossers who are upset that they no longer get to spout their reactionary cliched bollox free of heckle.

Well, you know, diddums.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I’m a chairman of trustees. I can tell you that is a weasel argument by that board. “Reputational damage” basically means they caved in the face of criticism
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    edited July 2020
    As Alastair says, employment tribunals are a pretty solid protection for anyone sacked for expressing views irrelevant to their work. Presumably the bus driver didn't abuse his customers - what he thought and said in his private life should be neither here nor there. It shouldn't matter if he was an open Nazi or ISIS sympathiser so long as he behaves professionally at work.

There is more of a difficulty if your job is about expressing opinions. Organisations that claim to be non-partisan like the BBC can reasonably make it a condition of employment as a commentator that you don't express clear preference for one party or opinion or another - I think some of their senior people have sailed close to the wind on this and it does harm the organisation.

Beyond that, what it mostly comes down to is prominent people getting criticised. Some of the criticism may be unfair or unpleasant, and if it becomes abusive harassment there are laws against that too. Otherwise, it rather goes with the job. Some prominent journalists IMO go out of their way to whip it up, as it makes them more prominent.

by the way, I'm puzzled by Casino Royale saying that he joined the FSU because people, some of them up to recently anonymous, had been unfairly critical here. I try to be polite to everyone and I hope CR doesn't feel I've been slagging him off. I think his contributions here are interesting and we'd be poorer without them. But CR is himself anonymous. I don't see the risk to his career if someone attacks his pseudonym, even unfairly. I've taken somewhat greater risks over the years by not being anonymous, but as an MP I felt that went with the job too, and now I'm no longer an MP my opinions outside my special field of work are pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,287
    FPT
    isam said:

On 25-26 June with Opinium Starmer led by 2, in their last poll Boris led by 1. So this is a rather strange way of reporting Boris increasing/doubling that lead to 2

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/1284566332168646658?s=21

Before another inaccurate PB meme begins..

Opinium also had a best PM question in their poll ending on July 10th which had Boris Johnson leading the best PM metric by 3%.

Click the tables, tab V007.

https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/public-opinion-on-coronavirus-9th-july/

In short, as ever, wikipedia is often an inelegant source to rely on.
This discussion has been closed.