Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly there’s the prospect of a vaccine, perhaps even by th

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    CD13 said:

The only problem for the Democrats is the trap they fell into last time. They hate Trump so much they become hysterical. Yes, he's a moron, but they have become children. I still watch CNN but it's become 'the bitch continually at Trump for being alive' channel.

They've become cartoon characters themselves. Joe may win, but it wil be narrower than it shoud be. In the end, that was Corbyn's problem. He couldn't shake off the juvenile hatred that permeated his campaign.

The difference is that Biden is rising above the juvenile nonsense and comes across as a President in waiting. More Presidential than the incumbent certainly.

It is outriders (many former Republicans) that are doing the attacks on Trump.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,218

eek said:

I know it's the Daily Mail but it's a link everyone can read

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8527855/One-three-firms-preparing-lay-staff-furlough-ends-October.html

A chamber of commerce survey shows that a 1/3 of firms are planning to lay people off.

And that's just due to low demand due to Covid...

According to some on here that matters not a jot, as the Conservatives still have a ten point poll lead.
    If that is a pop at me it is just so wrong

I have consistently supported the return to work and warned that prolonged lockdown will see thousands of job loses, each one a crisis for someone

Indeed it looks like a member of my family is going to be affected shortly

To suggest it does not matter to me or my family is just unjustified
    It might be me, but I am not sure how you jump from my snide remark (sorry!) to a debate on the merits of easing lockdown.

For my own part, I believe the economic damage is already done. It was circumstances and not the FAULT of Government that I arrive at my conclusion.

Up until the Cummings saga broke, I was with the Government for the most part. They tried to do the right thing for good or for ill. They followed heart and head. I do not call them out for that. Since Cummings, the Government has followed it's nose.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I cannot understand why HMG leads in the polls other than most on this forum do not reflect the public view

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1283554382433464320?s=09

The general public are a lot more willing to cut the government some slack in dealing with an unexpected global pandemic, than a bunch of political obsessives mostly operating with the benefit of hindsight.
    Plus the government have called out Starmer. Being Captain Hindsight doesn't come across as great when you don't actually make any productive proposals yourself but then jump on every bandwagon afterwards.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409

I thought Parliamentary committees were supposed to try to avoid being overtly party political? It's incredibly damaging for Johnson to try to enforce party discipline by removing the Tory whip from Julian Lewis.

A degree of independence from backbench MPs has always been a feature of the Westminster system, and we can see now that Johnson is determined to squeeze any independence out of his party on all matters, not just Brexit.

It's a very dangerous development for our political system.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/chris-grayling-fails-to-become-intelligence-and-security-chair

He doesn't care. He's wanted to be PM his whole life and now that he's here everyone should be supporting the amazing job that he's doing. We shouldn't be providing scrutiny or asking questions or having doubts, we should just be agreeing with Him and supporting Him and don't you know who He is. He has a majority of 80 78 and according to chief impartiality officer HYUFD that means he should do whatever he likes to ensure the prosperity of the country the future electoral prospects of the Conservative Party.

We know that Dom wants to reshape the system in his own Compo image. Perhaps that means we will see the parliamentarians banished to York so that He can simply rule by edict.
    Move parliament to York and leave the government to get on with things in London? #ClassicDom
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250

Sandpit said:

I cannot understand why HMG leads in the polls other than most on this forum do not reflect the public view

The general public are a lot more willing to cut the government some slack in dealing with an unexpected global pandemic, than a bunch of political obsessives mostly operating with the benefit of hindsight.
    Plus the government have called out Starmer. Being Captain Hindsight doesn't come across as great when you don't actually make any productive proposals yourself but then jump on every bandwagon afterwards.
    Bandwagon? What bandwagon
  • Options
    Saw the photo then was surprised to see the poster was Rochdale and not isam! I'm guessing it's percolated more than I'd expected.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited July 2020
    Mr Thomson,

I have a lot of time for Joe. His problems are the hysterical woke community (a minority, but significant). He's in his seventies, and is of his time. The appointment of a black, female as VP, will look like special pleading, no matter how good she is. The attack lines write themselves.

I still think he'll win and make a reasonable POTUS, but people will expect miracles that won't happen.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

eek said:

eek said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8527855/One-three-firms-preparing-lay-staff-furlough-ends-October.html

A chamber of commerce survey shows that a 1/3 of firms are planning to lay people off.

According to some on here that matters not a jot, as the Conservatives still have a ten point poll lead.
    The Tories will have a lead until they no longer do.

And the election is 4 years away so they can do a lot in that time.

The bit I'm really waiting for is when it dawns on Cummings and co that the best way to win the 2024 election would be to ensure 59 MPs no longer sit in Parliament.
    I am not sure I am with you. Are you suggesting a spot of gerrymandering might be in order?
    I think the idea would be to dispose of all the Scottish MPs in one fell swoop. No gerrymandering required for that, but rather, a bit of u-turning. I am sure Cummings and Johnson would be up for that.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    edited July 2020
    Sandpit said:

I don't think it is a mystery. The (more or less) only people who make differences in polls are those who can change their mind between mainstream parties. This group (more or less) consists of political centrists or moderates. The centre ground of moderate opinion is this:

Among usually Labour voters they are still Labour and the current situation gives them no great reason to change.

Among usually Tory voters they are still Tory but are prepared (see leader polls) to have a long and careful look at SKS but think the Labour party is not ready following their descent into authoritarian factionalism dominated by people who like Hamas better than HM the Queen and dance on Lady Thatcher's grave.

Goodness knows what is happening among the LD supporter. They and the party have become invisible.

The forgotten factor is the political version of the law of comparative advantage. To be in the lead in the polls you don't have to be better then useless. You just have to to a scintilla less useless than the other party. This makes anarchists sad. They have my sympathy.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

The bit I'm really waiting for is when it dawns on Cummings and co that the best way to win the 2024 election would be to ensure 59 MPs no longer sit in Parliament.
    I am not sure I am with you. Are you suggesting a spot of gerrymandering might be in order?
    I think the idea would be to dispose of all the Scottish MPs in one fell swoop. No gerrymandering required for that, but rather, a bit of u-turning. I am sure Cummings and Johnson would be up for that.
    Got it. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

I thought Parliamentary committees were supposed to try to avoid being overtly party political? It's incredibly damaging for Johnson to try to enforce party discipline by removing the Tory whip from Julian Lewis.

A degree of independence from backbench MPs has always been a feature of the Westminster system, and we can see now that Johnson is determined to squeeze any independence out of his party on all matters, not just Brexit.

It's a very dangerous development for our political system.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/15/chris-grayling-fails-to-become-intelligence-and-security-chair

He doesn't care. He's wanted to be PM his whole life and now that he's here everyone should be supporting the amazing job that he's doing. We shouldn't be providing scrutiny or asking questions or having doubts, we should just be agreeing with Him and supporting Him and don't you know who He is. He has a majority of 80 78 and according to chief impartiality officer HYUFD that means he should do whatever he likes to ensure the prosperity of the country the future electoral prospects of the Conservative Party.

We know that Dom wants to reshape the system in his own Compo image. Perhaps that means we will see the parliamentarians banished to York so that He can simply rule by edict.
    Move parliament to York and leave the government to get on with things in London? #ClassicDom
    Have MPs realised yet that he means Cape York, Greenland?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

It would be great as far as I'm concerned but that is a very obscure minority opinion within the Conservative and Unionist Party.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A cap with "Tit" embroidered on it would have completed that picture.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The general public are skeptical as hell about most of the stuff now being done - mask, no mask, travel, don't travel. But willing to give the benefit of the doubt at least for now because they just want to get the Rona and this year over. Two things will happen: (1) Shagger understands reality, signs an EEA/CU in all but name deal and lies about the great victory as he did with the NI border and the Tories ride the glow wave of WE DID BREXIT, or (2) Shagger smells his own farts, we fall off the cliff and we get to watch him demanding that SKS stops asking why we have run out of fresh food and starts being supportive of all the new customs officials jobs he has created, which may be somewhat less rosy for the poll ratings
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    We're in an odd time where some activities that were allowed/organised pre-lifting of lockdown are continuing as though lockdown is still a thing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Interesting. When I was put on the Treasury Select Committee, a rival to the favoured Labour chair asked for my support, and I said I'd consider it. The Chief Whip, Nick Brown, asked me in and pleaded with me to support the favoured candidate (which I eventually did). It wasn't strictly proper for him to have a view at all, but he certainly didn't threaten expulsion if I didn't do what he said. In fact I don't remember any examples of that threat being made to anyone.

Lewis is a cold warrior of the old school - I'd expect him to be stern on China. But he's also an independent mind, and the Government seems unkeen on those. Ironically, this restores the tradition (hitherto respected by both parties) that no one party has a majority on that committee.
    Lewis didn’t just vote for another candidate. He conspired with the opposition and broke ranks
    I think you mean he followed the rules and allowed the committee to choose its own chairman rather than being dictated to by the Government.

In an ideal world the Speaker would be calling Johnson to parliament and asking him to explain his unparliamentary behaviour.
    According to the BBC he lied to the Chief Whip. A parliamentary party only works as a collaboration. If someone doesn’t play by the rules they can’t be in the party
    The chief whip had no business being involved in the election of the committee chair in the first place.
    The government gets to appoint the committee members from its own party; its gets to vet and approve all nominated opposition members. Once that is done, it is supposed to be entirely hands off.

As Grieve noted last night, the committee issues all its reports unanimously; it has to operate by consensus, There is no room for party politics in its operation.
    Why on earth does the government get to “vet and approve” opposition members? Very sinister. Slippery slope stuff that.

In a democracy, it is the electorate that choose the opposition, not the government.
    That what the statute setting up the committee provides. It’s not a select committee, but one set up in its own terms to provide independent oversight.
    It gets to see highly classified material, so some vetting is inevitable. Once constituted, government should leave it alone to get on with its job.
  • Options

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

It would be great as far as I'm concerned but that is a very obscure minority opinion within the Conservative and Unionist Party.
    Following the Julian Lewis error (a PR disaster) perhaps the next great plan will be to keep Scotland but abolish their representation in parliament and reduce Holyrood to a parish council with powers over park benches. Of course if this was sold as a simple move to shut Ian Blackford up so that we never heard him droning on again it might be a popular move.

• Options

Saw the photo then was surprised to see the poster was Rochdale and not isam! I'm guessing it's percolated more than I'd expected.

I support BLM the concept - there's an entrenched bigotry and racism issue in our society that needs to be removed. However, they took the knee thinking more about the short term "hey we'll look cool" especially to the mouth breathers who still support Corbyn. Instead they should have thought about the long term - the majority of politicians around the world have managed to combine not taking the knee with strident action.

What has SKS done? Taken the knee against racism whilst awaiting the "is my party institutionally racist" report and having to pay out libel damages for attacking its own employees pointing to its racism. If he wanted to draw a line under the past this wasn't the way to do so
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    Scott_xP said:
    Good. I dont even have hope of a smoking gun it as some who are practically drooling about it nobody do, but damp squib, mildly embarrassing or a train wreck it's about time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Scott_xP said:
    Sharma has ONLY ONE Butcher's Apron conspicuously on display as he is interviewed by the Duchess of Burley on Sky News. I question his patriotism.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

The only problem for the Democrats is the trap they fell into last time. They hate Trump so much they become hysterical. Yes, he's a moron, but they have become children. I still watch CNN but it's become 'the bitch continually at Trump for being alive' channel.

They've become cartoon characters themselves. Joe may win, but it wil be narrower than it shoud be. In the end, that was Corbyn's problem. He couldn't shake off the juvenile hatred that permeated his campaign.

It could be. Trump is so infuriating that they definitely got complacent last time and you're right many of them are now so hysterical that they are sort of playing Trumps juvenile game. The hope is he is not in a position to play it as effectively this time, but they need to be careful.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

Following the Julian Lewis error (a PR disaster) perhaps the next great plan will be to keep Scotland but abolish their representation in parliament and reduce Holyrood to a parish council with powers over park benches. Of course if this was sold as a simple move to shut Ian Blackford up so that we never heard him droning on again it might be a popular move.

Surely it would just be sold as the culmination of Blair’s original cheap bribe to his Scottish party base, ooops, idea?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/labour-attempts-to-defuse-blair-s-parish-council-power-for-scots-1.59202
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Interesting. When I was put on the Treasury Select Committee, a rival to the favoured Labour chair asked for my support, and I said I'd consider it. The Chief Whip, Nick Brown, asked me in and pleaded with me to support the favoured candidate (which I eventually did). It wasn't strictly proper for him to have a view at all, but he certainly didn't threaten expulsion if I didn't do what he said. In fact I don't remember any examples of that threat being made to anyone.

Lewis is a cold warrior of the old school - I'd expect him to be stern on China. But he's also an independent mind, and the Government seems unkeen on those. Ironically, this restores the tradition (hitherto respected by both parties) that no one party has a majority on that committee.
    Lewis didn’t just vote for another candidate. He conspired with the opposition and broke ranks
    I think you mean he followed the rules and allowed the committee to choose its own chairman rather than being dictated to by the Government.

In an ideal world the Speaker would be calling Johnson to parliament and asking him to explain his unparliamentary behaviour.
    According to the BBC he lied to the Chief Whip. A parliamentary party only works as a collaboration. If someone doesn’t play by the rules they can’t be in the party
    The chief whip had no business being involved in the election of the committee chair in the first place.
    The government gets to appoint the committee members from its own party; its gets to vet and approve all nominated opposition members. Once that is done, it is supposed to be entirely hands off.

As Grieve noted last night, the committee issues all its reports unanimously; it has to operate by consensus, There is no room for party politics in its operation.
    Why on earth does the government get to “vet and approve” opposition members? Very sinister. Slippery slope stuff that.

In a democracy, it is the electorate that choose the opposition, not the government.
    That what the statute setting up the committee provides. It’s not a select committee, but one set up in its own terms to provide independent oversight.
    It gets to see highly classified material, so some vetting is inevitable. Once constituted, government should leave it alone to get on with its job.
    Leaving it to the electorate is a splendid idea, but there must (historically) be significant numbers of MPs who would fail to secure the highest levels of security clearance. There are one or two in recent times, including quite high level MPs, whose MI5/MI6 files might make interesting reading.

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

That doesn't really matter, does it? The Conservatives and Unionists will do whatever Cummings tells them to do, through his mouthpiece Johnson, and the PB Conservatives will turn up on here, as usual, and tell us how wonderful it all is.

The Conservative and Unionist Party, as such, does not have a mind of its own.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Sandpit said:

If HMG was remotely competent, the general public would not need to “cut it some slack”.

Tories are beginning to sound a bit whiney. Not a good look.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Risk of media filter in Mike’s post. He can only report on what media outlets publish, but bit of a coincidence that English-language media is bragging about two English-language projects. There are an awful lot of other projects out there.

This is about health, but it is also about money and power. A tremendous amount of money. So beware guff.

The NY Times has a good summary page - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

Oxford and Moderna are definitely out in front for non-Chinese vaccines.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sounds like a winner to me. I think if anyone is going to win the English around to my line of thinking its Ian Blackford.
  • Options

twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1283554382433464320?s=09

So what?

It is not the point of the site to be a nationally representative focus group. Aside from people shouting into the void, the purpose of the site is to anticipate changes so that money can be made by making the appropriate bets.

Any old fool can look at the opinion polls and see that the Tories are comfortably ahead. The question is whether they will remain so.

Some people on here think that the leader ratings indicate that they won't. Other people point to other reasons why they will.

Pointing to the current leads says nothing about the future.
    Good post. I think they will lead for some time, I don't think enough people are in a reflective mood to consider switching or truly assess the government right now, but that factors of time in office, labour fight back, chaotic leadership style, will combine to see that change significantly, even if they do a decent job for government (the default for which is ' a bit crap').
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

The government is a shambles and how it leads in the polls I do not know

And I still remain a loyal member but do despair at times
    By the end of this parliament, the Tories might be ready for a long spell in opposition qagain. Or pull off another 1992, and delay the process for five more years.
    Or a coalition. Or get elected twice more and delay the process for ten years. Or a hung parliament with no govt able to be formed and a second election straight away. Or.......the possibilities are endless, none are individually predictable or particularly likely.
    It is likely it will be political chaos for years to come
    Boris/Cummings have consistently been the source of chaos these past four years.
    You mean they won brexit and you do not like brexit
    No, I mean they undermined May by repeatedly opposing BrexitM seeded chaos in the commons and then got into office and unlawfully closed parliament, lied to the Queen and then got an elected on a promise to deliver an oven ready Brexit, which has since proven to be yet another lie.
    Still brexit
    You use Brexit as a device to close your eyes and switch off your brain. If Corbyn has done half the things this government has done you would be on the street. Brexit is more important to you than it is to me, the figleaf that justifies your support for this shambles.
    I have never been on the street and nor would I

Brexit is important to millions and as far as support for HMG I am a conservative member and remain as such
    Why do you spend so long trying to justify to people why you remain conservative member. To me it just shows that you aren't bright enough to see that the Tory party has become UKIP without Farage...
    What do you define UKIP without Farage as though?

If you simply mean pro Brexit then that's a meaningless tautology.
    Right wing Nationalist verging on Fascists
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited July 2020

Sandpit said:

If HMG was remotely competent, the general public would not need to “cut it some slack”.

and the left are seemingly in the "aren't the public stupid for still backing the government/not seeing it our way" mood . Also not a good look and a big factor in why things like the euro referendum went the way it did and why their is a 80 seat majority built on working class areas
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Leaving it to the electorate is a splendid idea, but there must (historically) be significant numbers of MPs who would fail to secure the highest levels of security clearance. There are one or two in recent times, including quite high level MPs, whose MI5/MI6 files might make interesting reading.

Which is why the committee is made up of 9 MPs selected by their peers rather than all 650 MPs...

If you don't meet MI5/MI6's security standards you just don't get on the committee and someone else does.
  • Options
    Is it just me or does the moderna logo not look remarkably similar to the Tesco logo?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The general public are in general stupid, they are easily led by the nose by clever scheming people. It takes them a long time for the penny to drop.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Why do they bother sending minister out who can’t or won’t answer questions they know they are going to be asked? It just makes them look (more) stupid
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Sandpit said:

I think the point that the government is presently being cut some slack is more an observation than a defence. Given the competence in several areas has not been great and yet the polls have not yet reacted it also seems to be an accurate observation, so not sure what the issue is.

Indeed, a suggestion that they are being cut some slack due to the unique emergency situation essentially admits that when it recedes there will be a reaction as slack is not cut. So again not sure what the issue is.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

Sounds like a winner to me. I think if anyone is going to win the English around to my line of thinking its Ian Blackford.
    You arseholes might think you are smart but you will get what you desire soon enough.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

By the end of this parliament, the Tories might be ready for a long spell in opposition qagain. Or pull off another 1992, and delay the process for five more years.
    Or a coalition. Or get elected twice more and delay the process for ten years. Or a hung parliament with no govt able to be formed and a second election straight away. Or.......the possibilities are endless, none are individually predictable or particularly likely.
    Boris/Cummings have consistently been the source of chaos these past four years.
    No, I mean they undermined May by repeatedly opposing BrexitM seeded chaos in the commons and then got into office and unlawfully closed parliament, lied to the Queen and then got an elected on a promise to deliver an oven ready Brexit, which has since proven to be yet another lie.
    Still brexit
    You use Brexit as a device to close your eyes and switch off your brain. If Corbyn has done half the things this government has done you would be on the street. Brexit is more important to you than it is to me, the figleaf that justifies your support for this shambles.

Brexit is important to millions and as far as support for HMG I am a conservative member and remain as such
    Why do you spend so long trying to justify to people why you remain conservative member. To me it just shows that you aren't bright enough to see that the Tory party has become UKIP without Farage...

Right wing Nationalist verging on Fascists
    Nothing like the fascists.

And should a Scottish Nationalist really be bemoaning other people's nationalism?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

Even before I finished reading, I felt that was a plan I could live with!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

a "BIT" whiny, you are being very generous in my mind.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

It's a dilemma. If Scotland is let go we never hear his voice again but he gets what he wants. If he gets what he deserves and Scotland remains part of the union we have to keep on listening to the old bore.

• Options

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Still brexit

I meant that that the Tories had taken all of UKIPs policies, ditched a lot of their none UKIP-like MPs and that Farage isn't an MP.

But I will also take pro Brexit and utterly useless / incompetent at everything else (which is also UKIP without Farage).
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Why do they bother sending minister out who can’t or won’t answer questions they know they are going to be asked? It just makes them look (more) stupid

Why do ministers not bother to get answers on questions likely to be asked. It would probably only take 10 minutes assuming you had the mobile of other ministers.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    A strong question. They probably pissed off other Tories on the committee for making them look like lemmings to boot. Forced them to bend the knee on something which shouldnt matter so much to no 10, and which it failed at anyway.

People dont mind being part of a heroic last stand, but they mind being part of a pointless suicidal charge.

That answer of Sharma reminds me how prorogation had nothing to do with Brexit, yet when it was ruled unlawful that was as attack on Brexit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

and the left are seemingly in the "aren't the public stupid for still backing the government/not seeing it our way" mood . Also not a good look and a big factor in why things like the euro referendum went the way it did and why their is a 80 seat majority built on working class areas
    This is a site where we come to analyse potential trends from data.

Even us dullards on the left, for the sake of our book, don't chose to ignore public opinion if we don't like it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Sharma has ONLY ONE Butcher's Apron conspicuously on display as he is interviewed by the Duchess of Burley on Sky News. I question his patriotism.
    Thank you for your tip about glasses.

Have bought your recommendations and it is excellent
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Even us dullards on the left, for the sake of our book, don't chose to ignore public opinion if we don't like it.
    We dullards, if you please.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Scott_xP said:
    Do the whips report to party leadership? Or to a non party member advising the govt?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

How pathetic can these turkeys make themselves look.
  • Options
    eek said:

nichomar said:

Why do ministers not bother to get answers on questions likely to be asked. It would probably only take 10 minutes assuming you had the mobile of other ministers.
    Not answering that question was much better for him than either giving a truthful answer or spouting the official bunch of lies?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

People might realise there's a massive clue in the name. :)

Especially in Scotland, where they campaign under that full name very deliberately.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

I am in the Starmer camp, but that stunt was akin to "Dad dancing".
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

I am in the Starmer camp, but that stunt was akin to "Dad dancing".
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eek said:

nichomar said:

Better to be seen as a fool than make headlines as a liar.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Vaccine: reminds me of 1955/6 and the race to get a one for Polio. The US and Uk had produced something, then the first had to be withdrawn and the second was delayed, due to over optimism. I was at school and parents had been told the UK one would be available. But that went wrong so we were offered a vaccine from Canada that appeared tried and tested. We all had that one which worked.. It is a salutory lesson in US and UK thinking they are best. It is places that do things quietly that are best. Again Canada seems to have handled the virus much better than ourselves. See they are keeping the border with US closed for another 6 weeks at least!

You can't do clinical trials involving thousands of people quietly.
    How would you even recruit volunteers ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Not a memo Johnson ever received, or if he did, read.
    In that regard he really did have his cake and eat it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Not a memo Johnson ever received, or if he did, read.
    To be fair, he has made an outstanding effort with both.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

I prove my own point!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I think the point that the government is presently being cut some slack is more an observation than a defence. Given the competence in several areas has not been great and yet the polls have not yet reacted it also seems to be an accurate observation, so not sure what the issue is.

Indeed, a suggestion that they are being cut some slack due to the unique emergency situation essentially admits that when it recedes there will be a reaction as slack is not cut. So again not sure what the issue is.
    Yes. Most people who aren't political obsessives understand that this was something that hit the country, over which they had little control. They don't blame the government for Coronavirus, and don't follow the daily political ins and outs of everything like most of us on here.

They are also disenchanted with the whole 'Westminter Bubble' and tun off most of the media coverage about whatever made Twitter angry today. They certainly don't care for what appear to be hyper-partisan and opportunist attacks on government, by people who we know would never agree with anything the incumbents did.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

I prove my own point!
    LOL.

Incidentally, 'dullard' is an example of a linguistic virus. Many moons ago, I did a site search on the word, and the only two accounts that had ever used it were SeanT's and a certain other poetically inclined account no longer with us. Nowadays you see it here all the time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Wasn’t it Norman Tebbitt who burned an opponent by snapping, ‘far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt?’
  • Options

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

I do appreciate someone else using the and Unionist full title. I think a lot of modern day Tories have forgotten the full name of their party. Thanks to the Conservative and Unionist Party I have just had to submit my first customs form so that I will be allowed to continue to sell products in my own country.

That the and Unionist Party would sign such an agreement, not understand what they have signed and then lie about what definitely won't need to be done rather shows up the and Unionist element, as well as the Conservative bit frankly. I have no idea what the Conservative and Unionist Party stands for these days as it clearly isn't Conservatism or Unionism.
    The Conservatism Unionism (Not) Tent ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

I prove my own point!
    LOL.

Incidentally, 'dullard' is an example of a linguistic virus. Many moons ago, I did a site search on the word, and the only two accounts that had ever used it were SeanT's and a certain other poetically inclined account no longer with us. Nowadays you see it here all the time.
    SeanT., Byronic, Eadric, LadyG. Trendsetters one and all!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

I prove my own point!
    LOL.

Because SeanT now has far more accounts?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003

Very pleased to hear it. That stuff is good. I've ridden a motorbike at over 120mph through a torrential rainstorm with zero fogging issues.
  • Options

ClippP said:

eek said:

eek said:

I do appreciate someone else using the and Unionist full title. I think a lot of modern day Tories have forgotten the full name of their party. Thanks to the Conservative and Unionist Party I have just had to submit my first customs form so that I will be allowed to continue to sell products in my own country.

That the and Unionist Party would sign such an agreement, not understand what they have signed and then lie about what definitely won't need to be done rather shows up the and Unionist element, as well as the Conservative bit frankly. I have no idea what the Conservative and Unionist Party stands for these days as it clearly isn't Conservatism or Unionism.
    Great post, also the Labour party has lost touch with workers and the Liberal Democrats are arguably no longer particularly liberal (and some would even say undemocratic). Confusing times. At least the SNP and Greens still do what it says on the tin.
  • Options
    This is going to be fun! Someone needs to start doing polling on this guy if he's actually making it to the ballot paper.

We also need to understand how serious he actually is, is he going to be a paper candidate doing it for publicity, or is he intending to raise serious amounts of campaign money?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Not quite true. Mugabe lost a rigged election against Tsvangirai. That’s why he had to use violence to hold on to power instead.

Edit - that article is disturbing though. It’s bizarre Downing Street thinks everything is in such good shape that it can afford to waste a huge amount of time and energy on pursuing a personal vendetta against somebody who managed the (let’s face it, not terribly difficult) feat of making Cummings and Johnson look like the tenth rate incompetent morons they are undoubtedly are.

I mean, it’s not like there’s a major pandemic raging, or our trade system is under pressure, or China are threatening war over Hong Kong, is it?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Very pleased to hear it. That stuff is good. I've ridden a motorbike at over 120mph through a torrential rainstorm with zero fogging issues.
    Just 120? Was that a safety precaution?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    CD13 said:

Agree with you, CD, but whp should they have run with? Seems to me they didn't have an outstanding candidate so ran with a safe one.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    kjh said:
    Both and neither. Might help turnout though.

Which is another of the dreadful 'fails' of US 'democracy'. Turnouts are disgraceful.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

I prove my own point!
    LOL.

Because SeanT now has far more accounts?
    A fair point!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    So just so I am clear, the latest, greatest theory is that this government is doomed by its own incompetence because it tried to fix the chairmanship of a Parliamentary committee and seems to have made a mess of it?

Does anyone seriously think that anyone not obsessed with politics and not thoroughly committed to their team will even notice? Anyone at all?

We have had a link to the fact that 1/3rd of the companies in the country are looking at redundancies post furlough. Its not so much wood from the trees as matchsticks to giant sequoias. We face the worst economic crisis in any of our life times. The success or failure of this government will be measured by how bad that gets. Nothing else matters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    At least try to hide your disappointment, Beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    DavidL said:

So just so I am clear, the latest, greatest theory is that this government is doomed by its own incompetence because it tried to fix the chairmanship of a Parliamentary committee and seems to have made a mess of it?

Does anyone seriously think that anyone not obsessed with politics and not thoroughly committed to their team will even notice? Anyone at all?

Of course not.

But the flaw in your reasoning is that this particular story strikes at the heart of the one group of political anoraks thoroughly committed to their own team who can topple Johnson tomorrow - backbench Tory MPs.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Wasn’t it Norman Tebbitt who burned an opponent by snapping, ‘far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt?’
    That quote is much older than Norman Tebbit!

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17:28
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Not this again! Every evening during 2010-12 I'd get home from work, put the Six O'Clock News and hear Stephanie Flanders trying to explain why the evil Tories weren't making five million people unemployed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue. Proverbs 17:28
    That’s not saying quite the same thing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

What has SKS done? ... having to pay out libel damages for attacking its own employees pointing to its racism.
    I missed this libel payments to employees one. Do you have a link?

I'm aware of Roy McCluskey seemingly giving about half a million of Union Members' money to the bloke who runs Skwawkbox for legal fees wrt Anna Turley, but not the other.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

I do wish more people followed that advice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    CD13 said:

I rather agree about the danger (though I didn't see Corbyn's campaign as hate-filled) - I'm bored with the Guardian's habit of highlighting every bit of bad news for the Government even if there is better news on the same day. I don't want my newspaper to pander to me - just tell me what's happening, please. And if that's how I feel, presumably floating voters feel it more.

Mind you, the other papers are just as bad or worse in their own way. Despite everything I think the BBC makes more of an effort to be balanced.
  • Options

There's going to be a lot of people in the media really upset if we don't get a hard recession. They give the impression of cheering loudly for every job loss, if it means they can land blows on the government.

As said previously, most people are prepared to cut those in charge a lot of slack for the events of this year. Next year though, that's going to be much more difficult, as the economic fallout has to be managed.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

I do wish more people followed that advice.
    Sir Daniel Gooch, in twenty years as MP for Cricklade, never spoke in a Commons debate. He commented in his diary that ‘it would be an inestimable advantage to business if more members followed my example.’

But there is a certain irony that we, members of an internet chat forum, are discussing the advantages of not commenting...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    He needs 3, so he will reach the "lots" part of the media counting system.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Still brexit

I meant that that the Tories had taken all of UKIPs policies, ditched a lot of their none UKIP-like MPs and that Farage isn't an MP.

But I will also take pro Brexit and utterly useless / incompetent at everything else (which is also UKIP without Farage).
    Well which non-Europe, non-Brexit parties have the adopted that you object to or think are not appropriate for the Conservative Party?

Looking at UKIPs policies from their 2010 manifesto they had policies such as:
    * An immediate freeze on immigration for permanent settlement for five years
    * Abolishing elections to National Assemblies (eg Holyrood etc)
    * Introducing PR for Westminster elections
    * Increase nuclear power to 50% of UK electricity while limiting wind power
    * Requiring taxi drivers to wear uniforms

I don't see any of that drivel being adopted by the Tory Party, do you?
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

Charles said:

Charles said:

Still brexit

Well which non-Europe, non-Brexit parties have the adopted that you object to or think are not appropriate for the Conservative Party?

Looking at UKIPs policies from their 2010 manifesto they had policies such as:
    * An immediate freeze on immigration for permanent settlement for five years
    * Abolishing elections to National Assemblies (eg Holyrood etc)
    * Introducing PR for Westminster elections
    * Increase nuclear power to 50% of UK electricity while limiting wind power
    * Requiring taxi drivers to wear uniforms

I don't see any of that drivel being adopted by the Tory Party, do you?
    If the best you can respond with is things that even UKIP haven't suggested since 2010 you are struggling for a valid response...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    F1: thundery showers currently forecast for the race.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We have had a link to the fact that 1/3rd of the companies in the country are looking at redundancies post furlough. Its not so much wood from the trees as matchsticks to giant sequoias. We face the worst economic crisis in any of our life times. The success or failure of this government will be measured by how bad that gets. Nothing else matters.

As well as what happens next.

The government are I think for most reasonable people getting credit for the actions taken such as the furlough scheme and the virus is now under control in this country as opposed to what we're seeing on the news abroad in the likes of the USA, Brazil or now South Africa.

The last decade has seen a bit of a "jobs miracle" in this country, though I don't think its a miracle its that Osborne etc did a good job.

If we see strong economic growth next year and another "jobs miracle" over the next four years then pathetic distractions like the latest failing by Grayling, or trips to Durham Council won't matter. If there's millions languishing unemployed and desperate for change, then such nonsense won't be the reason the election is lost either.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2020

CD13 said:

I rather agree about the danger (though I didn't see Corbyn's campaign as hate-filled) - I'm bored with the Guardian's habit of highlighting every bit of bad news for the Government even if there is better news on the same day. I don't want my newspaper to pander to me - just tell me what's happening, please. And if that's how I feel, presumably floating voters feel it more.

Mind you, the other papers are just as bad or worse in their own way. Despite everything I think the BBC makes more of an effort to be balanced.
    Having spent a large part of my career as a journalist I can tell you that bad news is always from a news perspective better news than good news
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,685

Dura_Ace said:

Just 120? Was that a safety precaution?
    What stuff as a matter of interest?
This discussion has been closed.