Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Take the 33-1 that UKIP will win Cambourne and Redruth

2»

Comments

• Options
    Site working?
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013

Good to see Simon Hughes being appointed Minister of State at Department of Justice. That will really get up the Tories noses.

Smart move for Hughes and for Lib Dems as they struggle to hold onto seats like Bermondsey. I know from personal experience that he's a great MP and I've voted for him on many occasions even though I'm a Labour member.

Welcome Hilman Minx to the the lefts Rorke's Drift messageboard. We have taken heavy losses over the last couple of days. Don't fire(a post) until you see the white of their eyes and a the blue of their rosette.

PS - When ever talking about polls don't ever put the words "cross" and "over" together, it gets the enemy excited ;-)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Something rotten in the state of Turkey?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25437624
  • Options
    Nice to see the Tories getting in the festive spirit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25428796
  • Options
    Has the shock of Tim not posting finally registered with the PB Hodges and sent them into some kind of coma, or has the site disappeared up it's own Osborne again?
  • Options

So computer1 is with the tax cheats ?

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2013
    dr_spyn said:

Looks like the end of an era in Liverpool - last printed edition of The Liverpool Daily Post.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/

Sad news indeed, after 158 years. - The first edition of the paper carried a report of the 'siege of Sebastopol' during the Crimean War. - we talk a lot about dwindling sales figures amongst the national titles, I wonder how the other local rags are fairing?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013

Mr. Minx, although I hadn't lurked for quite so long I well recall my trepidation prior to posting.

MD

I was jumped on by Runnymede after my first post and presented with a challenge bet.

And all I did was state something obvious and incontrovertible such as Con Maj Nailed On.

Where is Runnymede?

And welcome to @HilmanMinx. You choice of moniker will surely make SeanT jealous.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh, forgot to update everyone on my meeting yesterday.

It went well, we had a run through of my strengths, I had to declare any current equity holdings, he had a look through my personal stock portfolio and seemed impressed (started with £14k in 2011, worth £25k today excluding dividend payments). He said I would have to take a few courses.

I took Bobajob's advice on dress code, thanks for that btw! Also took ALP's advice on meeting other analysts there. They are all a bit like me, geeky, focussed, highly analytical. We went for a drink afterwards, I get the feeling they don't like traders. :p

He said I would have to go through the official vetting process with HR, but no formal interview, just a meeting like the one I already had with another senior analyst.

All in all it was very positive. I think even if the pay wasn't as good as what's on offer I would take it, not that he needs to know! He said HR will contact me for a meeting, and to bring my passport etc...

Crazy how fast these things move. :O

Make sure you don't post anything daft on FB or Twitter in the coming days!
  • Options

46% of council tenants in Fulham are in arrears. Luckily the economy is booming and everyone feels better off.
  • Options
    HillmanMinxHillmanMinx Posts: 33
    edited December 2013
    MikeK said:

Neil said:

Smart move for Hughes and for Lib Dems as they struggle to hold onto seats like Bermondsey.

You think it will help him hang on?
    I think that Hughes has got to get into a public battle with Grayling on one of his more nasty measures. He's a great local MP but all Lib Dems facing Labour are going to find it challenging. The coalition is not popular round here. This was where Grant Shapps first tried to get into parliament.

Welcome HilmanMinx (with one el), even though I think the L/Dems are a busted flush.
    In all the party banter one thing that many people miss is that you are voting for an individual MP who you might need to call in for help at some stage. I began supporting Simon Hughes after he'd provided really great support over a serious issue that was affecting my family. I don't want to go into the details which are personal but he went the extra mile and the least I can do in return is vote for him. His party is irrelevant.

• Options
    Good value at 33/1 or 40/1. Not good value at the current 12/1. But well done to those who got on at the higher prices.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited December 2013

46% of council tenants in Fulham are in arrears. Luckily the economy is booming and everyone feels better off.
    I hope you don't regard those 46% of Scrooges as heroes. They are a disgrace and an insult to social housing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Poor management, & a lack of focus on business change and this is the BBC spin on the Digital Media Initiative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25433174
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I began supporting Simon Hughes after he'd provided really great support over a serious issue that was affecting my family. I don't want to go into the details which are personal but he went the extra mile and the least I can do in return is vote for him. His party is irrelevant.

You are not alone - I know a large number of people locally who say the same thing. Whether it will be enough to save him this time...
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

You think the 54% who aren't, and the other council tax payers, should subsidise them?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2013
    My two local hospital's A & E's in special measures... grrreat

My Dad got taken in 3 years ago at 3am Christmas Night/Boxing Day morning, with bronchitis... put in a ward with a paranoid schizophrenic for a week, and although he was well enough to leave on Dec 30th, couldn't until Jan 3rd as no Doctor about to authorise it.

Nice Grand Piano in the foyer though

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Labour should be 80/1, with UKIP likely to be getting around 10-15%, the LIB Dems 20-25% (If they get less than this in this seat then they will struggle to return 10 mps nationally) and the tories 35-40% I see Labour getting between 15-20% about the same figure they had last time. If the tories cant win this seat in 2015 with a booming economy then they will be on for a 1997 type overall result. I just cannot see that happening. I was very bullish about the economy in January this year, but its performance has even surprised me. I just dont think people are taking into account enough what 24 months of a booming economy can do to peoples voting intentions. In May 2015 if the economy is still racing ahead and unemployment is continuing to fall at current levels what will Labours big selling point be?
  • Options
    Walking the streets looking for people for a vox pop, then suddenly this dude appears...to voice his thoughts on Heathrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25425048

Must be a plug for a pantomime or something cool like a remake of Happy Days.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    currystar said:

Labour should be 80/1

Would you give me 40/1 then?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @MaxPB
    Good luck
    MaxPB said:

It went well, we had a run through of my strengths, I had to declare any current equity holdings, he had a look through my personal stock portfolio and seemed impressed (started with £14k in 2011, worth £25k today excluding dividend payments). He said I would have to take a few courses.

I took Bobajob's advice on dress code, thanks for that btw! Also took ALP's advice on meeting other analysts there. They are all a bit like me, geeky, focussed, highly analytical. We went for a drink afterwards, I get the feeling they don't like traders. :p

He said I would have to go through the official vetting process with HR, but no formal interview, just a meeting like the one I already had with another senior analyst.

All in all it was very positive. I think even if the pay wasn't as good as what's on offer I would take it, not that he needs to know! He said HR will contact me for a meeting, and to bring my passport etc...

Crazy how fast these things move. :O

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    I had a Christmas Letter from the local MP today, outlining all the work she had done for the constituency, and thanking me personally for the comments I've made about various issues.

Unfortunately she got my name (which admittedly is unusual) the wrong way round. Equivalent to addressing me as Mr Old!

Something which has annoyed me for over 70 years!
  • Options
    Villiers cleared of wrongdoing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25436157
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Thanks guys. You never know, I might even come across a competent HR department for the first time ever!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MaxPB said:

Thanks guys. You never know, I might even come across a competent HR department for the first time ever!

dream on :-)
  • Options
    King Cole, reminds me a bit of Na Li, the tennis player. I think it used to be Li Na (or the other way around) but then they changed it because the Chinese have the family name first and then the personal name.

Sometimes (I have no idea where I read this) it happens with Japanese figures of history, like Shingen Takeda and Kenshin Uesugi [big names in the late 16th century when Oda, Torotomi and then Tokugawa set about reuniting Japan] switching to Takeda Shingen.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    MaxPB said:

[On analysts] They are all a bit like me, geeky, focussed, highly analytical. We went for a drink afterwards, I get the feeling they don't like traders. :p

Well done, Max.

Your meeting appears to have gone well. Don't get disappointed if things slow down a bit now. HR are notorious for dragging their heels blaming line managers for failing to provide the information and respect they demand.

And don't get locked into a mindset of hating traders. It may be that the highs and lows they experience in their daily routine are more attuned to your temperament! And if you can combine cold analysis with risk taking nerve you will definitely rise to the top.

Good luck.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

King Cole, reminds me a bit of Na Li, the tennis player. I think it used to be Li Na (or the other way around) but then they changed it because the Chinese have the family name first and then the personal name.

Sometimes (I have no idea where I read this) it happens with Japanese figures of history, like Shingen Takeda and Kenshin Uesugi [big names in the late 16th century when Oda, Torotomi and then Tokugawa set about reuniting Japan] switching to Takeda Shingen.

Happens in Thailand, too. Thaksin Shinawatra is routinely referred as Mr Thaksin, although he comes from the Shinawatra clan.His sister, and the current PM is Mrs Yingluck
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    I assume (but don't know) the Ukip dynamic in the SW revolves more around gaining the celtic fringe anti-London vote off the LDs than the reasons driving it elsewhere. If so i'd assume (but also don't know) that that dynamic would be proportional to how long the LDs were in government more than anything else.
  • Options
    @Maxpb Dirty Harry summed up HR all too well.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Good to see Simon Hughes being appointed Minister of State at Department of Justice. That will really get up the Tories noses.

Smart move for Hughes and for Lib Dems as they struggle to hold onto seats like Bermondsey. I know from personal experience that he's a great MP and I've voted for him on many occasions even though I'm a Labour member.

Welcome Hilman Minx to the the lefts Rorke's Drift messageboard. We have taken heavy losses over the last couple of days. Don't fire(a post) until you see the white of their eyes and a the blue of their rosette.

PS - When ever talking about polls don't ever put the words "cross" and "over" together, it gets the enemy excited ;-)
    LOL

• Options
    Is one of those seats where you can see all sorts of results.

• Options
    For Scrapheap, Just backed Adebayor to first scorer tonight at 11/2
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Fed has just announced that they are trimming the taper of their QE from $85 bn to $75 bn per month.

Ed Conway, announcing news on Sky, is claiming this is a big surprise, but a pre-Christmas small adjustment has been widely predicted.

Now lets see whether the markets start a tim-type sulk.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Seriously,how poor is David Cameron at PMQ`s.It`s just embarrassing to watch him have not a clue about the questions asked and just repeat the answers he has been coached on verbatim!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Fed has just announced that they are trimming the taper of their QE from $85 bn to $75 bn per month.

Ed Conway, announcing news on Sky, is claiming this is a big surprise, but a pre-Christmas small adjustment has been widely predicted.

I hear the deficit is going up by 30 billion next year as Network Rail has been declared to be a public sector body.Is that true?

We could end up where we started in 2015.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Seriously,how poor is David Cameron at PMQ`s.It`s just embarrassing to watch him have not a clue about the questions asked and just repeat the answers he has been coached on verbatim!

Unfortunately PMQs is all about soundbites and memes.

Today's meme is Ed Balls is a turkey.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

I hear the deficit is going up by 30 billion next year as Network Rail has been declared to be a public sector body.Is that true?

That would be debt, not the deficit. Unless Network Rail is running a loss of £30bn a year.

• Options
    RobD said:

SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

That would be debt, not the deficit. Unless Network Rail is running a loss of £30bn a year.

My mistake.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

You're confusing debt with deficit.

Network Rail will be reclassified as a government body in 2014 as part of a package of changes to the public finances, adding £30bn to Britain's national debt, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has announced.

Because the government plays a significant role in overseeing Network Rail, through the Office of the Rail Regulator, and the taxpayer would inevitably be left picking up the bill for keeping the trains running if Network Rail collapsed, the ONS says it is best considered a "central government body".

That will bump up public sector net debt for 2012-13 by approximately £30bn, or 2% of GDP, when the change is implemented next year – and will fuel the debate about the size of the public subsidy for the railway network.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/17/network-rail-public-body-uk-national-debt
  • Options

Fine by me on this game, V V confident now I've seen the teams.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

MikeK said:

Neil said:

Smart move for Hughes and for Lib Dems as they struggle to hold onto seats like Bermondsey.

You think it will help him hang on?
    I think that Hughes has got to get into a public battle with Grayling on one of his more nasty measures. He's a great local MP but all Lib Dems facing Labour are going to find it challenging. The coalition is not popular round here. This was where Grant Shapps first tried to get into parliament.

Welcome HilmanMinx (with one el), even though I think the L/Dems are a busted flush.
    In all the party banter one thing that many people miss is that you are voting for an individual MP who you might need to call in for help at some stage. I began supporting Simon Hughes after he'd provided really great support over a serious issue that was affecting my family. I don't want to go into the details which are personal but he went the extra mile and the least I can do in return is vote for him. His party is irrelevant.

Welcome @HilmanMinx, from a recent new boy also.

And...I disagree!!!

I think that there is a non-trivial minority of constituents who know who their MP is but it really is that, a minority. Fewer still will have, as you have, an encounter and for those it is entirely natural that your personal loyalties will trump tribal feelings.

But.

For the vast majority, IMO, a local MP is just someone up with which we must put, for the greater good of getting a government which more closely aligns with our political philosophy. Whatever that might be.

I think there is an analogy with Scotland where the individuals are subordinate to the greater, visceral desire for an independent Scotland. Or not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

Network Rail will be reclassified as a government body in 2014 as part of a package of changes to the public finances, adding £30bn to Britain's national debt, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has announced.

Because the government plays a significant role in overseeing Network Rail, through the Office of the Rail Regulator, and the taxpayer would inevitably be left picking up the bill for keeping the trains running if Network Rail collapsed, the ONS says it is best considered a "central government body".

That will bump up public sector net debt for 2012-13 by approximately £30bn, or 2% of GDP, when the change is implemented next year – and will fuel the debate about the size of the public subsidy for the railway network.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/17/network-rail-public-body-uk-national-debt
    Glad that Network Rail's debt will be properly classified from next year. Honesty on the books.

• Options

You're confident about Spurs?

Ok, what have you done with the real scrapheap?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

SMukesh said:

Well if Ed Balls is the turkey then it begs the question which member of the Shadow Cabinet is putting the chestnut stuffing up his ....

Surely a wife's duties go only so far !!

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

Very poor apology for Labour. It's only going to get worse for your absurd hero EdM under the constant barrage of good economic news. I'd feel sorry for your two twerpish Eds, if they didn't deserve it , in spades.

• Options
    Today's countdown conundrum was

"Itchy Semi"

Fnarrr fnarr

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/countdown-rude-words-see-hilarious-2940519
  • Options

SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

From the piece,it appears that borrowing will increase by 2.5 billion as a result of this move.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2013
    I don't know whether anyone else did any calculations for Camborne & Redruth at the 2013 local elections, but these were mine:

UKIP: 4,676
    Ind: 4,204
    Con: 4,015
    Lab: 3,685
    LD: 1,417
    MK: 1,062
    Green: 523
    Lib: 143
  • Options
    SMukesh,

I'm not sure how Cameron was that bad today in PMQ's? He wasn't asked the toughest of questions - Ed hindered by the good news on the Economy - and he answered listing achievements such as taken people out of tax and comparing Labours predictions to facts. It was all very boring and I agree predictable but isn't that what PMQ's is?

It will all be in the distant memory by the next one, as they all are.

Going after Balls today was the only strategy and rather amusing!! Bercow even had me smiling today!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

Not quite, SMukesh.

The ONS issued a National Accounts Classification bulletin yesterday which announced that they were changing the classification of Network Rail from a Public Sector or Private organisation to a Central Government organisation.

The decision follows new EU accounting policy which will come into effect in September 2014. The principal reason for the change in classification is that the government provides and/or underwrites Network Rail's debts and Network Rail's is judged not to be operating in an open competitive market (after applying some arbitrary formula about proportions of sales to costs).

The changes will affect National Accounts retrospectively going back to 2004 (from recollection) so the decision will impact the PSND and PSNB series over a long period.

The ONS have not set out yet the detail of how the change will affect PSND and PSNB and an announcement will be made on this next year. At a high level, the transaction is likely to increase Public Sector Net Debt by adding around £30 bn to the figures. The transfer is unlikely to affect Public Sector Net Borrowing (or any other account that can be loosely referrred to as the "deficit".

Future increases and decreases in lending to Network Rail will affect borrowing figures, with additional lending to cover 'running' expenses adding to the deficit and savings detracting. Capex will affect borrowing but not the current budget deficit.

The change is unlikely to make a big difference to Osborne's fiscal plans.

• Options
    JackW said:

SMukesh said:

Well if Ed Balls is the turkey then it begs the question which member of the Shadow Cabinet is putting the chestnut stuffing up his ....

Ah Mr W the intellectual poverty of Labour's economic position, from headless chicken to Edless turkey in under a year.
  • Options
    Its the way she tells em.

Harriet Harman ‏@HarrietHarman 4h
    Simon Hughes MP now minister in Tory Government!
  • Options
    shipmate1 said:

SMukesh,

I'm not sure how Cameron was that bad today in PMQ's? He wasn't asked the toughest of questions - Ed hindered by the good news on the Economy - and he answered listing achievements such as taken people out of tax and comparing Labours predictions to facts. It was all very boring and I agree predictable but isn't that what PMQ's is?

Going after Balls today was the only strategy and rather amusing!! Bercow even had me smiling today!

Ofcourse you try to make a witty remark or expose the opposition but you got to answer the question first.It just demeans the value of PMQ`s when he just repeats stats without making any effort to answer the question asked.

No wonder the coalition MP`s have to shout louder each week to shore up their floundering man.

• Options
    JackW said:

SMukesh said:

From fiscal rectitude to rectal fistitude in record time, poor Ed.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Has anyone put money on Ed Balls being moved as Shadow CoE in 2014? Or pre election?

I've long thought he is safe as houses, given his streetfighting qualities, his experience of the Treasury and the fact Ed can't really afford three SCoE's in one parliament. But his position is looking flakier. And I say that with no malice, or bias.

Would and could Ed move him?

And do you think it would be a boon to Labour to move a man so associated with Brown? Or a bad move, given that it would look as though Labour are tacitly admitting to losing the economic argument?

• Options
    Huzzah

Ed Balls will be Shadow Chancellor going into the next election – says Ed Miliband

http://labourlist.org/2013/12/ed-balls-will-be-shadow-chancellor-going-into-the-next-election-says-ed-miliband/
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @ALP

Borrowing figures expected to be increased by 2.5 billion for 2012-2013 due to Network Rail move according to the Guardian.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Has anyone put money on Ed Balls being moved as Shadow CoE in 2014? Or pre election?

I've long thought he is safe as houses, given his streetfighting qualities, his experience of the Treasury and the fact Ed can't really afford three SCoE's in one parliament. But his position is looking flakier. And I say that with no malice, or bias.

And do you think it would be a boon to Labour to move a man so associated with Brown? Or a bad move, given that it would look as though Labour are tacitly admitting to losing the economic argument?

I've had a few nibbles on the next Chancellor/Shadow Chancellor market.

Darling, Cooper, Chuka and Yvette.

But I don't think Ed M can move him without massive gloating from the Tories and damaging Labour's economic strategy.

• Options

Huzzah

Ed Balls will be Shadow Chancellor going into the next election – says Ed Miliband

http://labourlist.org/2013/12/ed-balls-will-be-shadow-chancellor-going-into-the-next-election-says-ed-miliband/

ROFL, the headline was correct - Ed Balls is going nowhere - much like his economic non policies.
  • Options

Huzzah

That sounds ominously like a vote of confidence from a football club chairman.
  • Options

... and damaging Labour's economic strategy.

Eh?
  • Options
    Right had the roofwork quoted at a grand - slightly less than I was expecting tbh. Should be covered by my insurance as its storm damage.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited December 2013

Eh?
    Sorry, I meant, damaging Labour's economic credibility.

Such as it is.

In short, ditching Ed Balls, Ed Miliband would be saying, we got it wrong on the economy for the first four years of this parliament.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

shipmate1 said:

SMukesh,

Ofcourse you try to make a witty remark or expose the opposition but you got to answer the question first.It just demeans the value of PMQ`s when he just repeats stats without making any effort to answer the question asked.

No wonder the coalition MP`s have to shout louder each week to shore up their floundering man.

Same as it ever was. Yer man Gordon Brown only ever answered questions with tractor stats, and Blair was all about his witty banter.
    PMQs isn't really about answering questions, it's all about tripping your opponent up, or making them appear stupid-something that the main party leaders don't need much help with!

• Options
    Fenster said:

I've got a bit on his competitors for the job, but I could really do with him staying as the main bet is on him being next CoE. Labour might not win, but then other bets will come in. Ed Balls going would leave a bit of a hole.
  • Options

Eh?

Such as it is.

In short, ditching Ed Balls, Ed Miliband would be saying, we got it wrong on the economy for the first four years of this parliament.
    So EdM has abandoned the honest approach ?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013

1. We're playing a weakened Spanners and are on 'pay back' for the 3-0 win in the league.
    2. It's all set up to say, 'look how many goals Spurs can score with the right formation'
    3. It's also set up for players like Defoe and Barndoor to actually try / perform to thumb nose to AVB.
    4. I don't give anywhere near as much a damn as I do in the League.
    5. New Manager 'bounce'
    6. The Spurs crowd will be up for it

I'll be surprised if we don't win by 3 at least....and if I'm wrong, then it'll be more a concern for whether we lose to Saints at the weekend...
  • Options
    As such I'd appreciate it if he stopped acting like such a complete wally during PMQs.
  • Options
    Gone for Murat Yakin next Spurs manager at 18/1
  • Options

1. We're playing a weakened Spanners and are on 'pay back' for the 3-0 win in the league.
    2. It's all set up to say, 'look how many goals Spurs can score with the right formation'
    3. It's also set up for players like Defoe and Barndoor to actually try / perform to thumb nose to AVB.
    4. I don't give anywhere near as much a damn as I do in the League.
    5. New Manager 'bounce'

I'll be surprised if we don't win by 3 at least....
    Understood, I hope you do well tonight.

Part of Liverpool strategy is for Spurs to be involved in long cup runs this season.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Eh?

Such as it is.

I agree, I still think he will be in place at GE2015. I think - for good or bad -Ed Miliband is stuck with him now.

And if he does stay in place I do think he will continue to attract headlines. Ed Balls is not a man to slink into the shadows. He will keep gesticulating and shouting and arguing the toss because he is a man who massively believes in himself. And believes he is right.

The trouble is, even if he is right (and I seriously doubt that he is, not on the big economic argument of today) he still isn't popular. The comments under that Labour List piece, written by Labour supporters, are hardly pleasing endorsements!

• Options

Eh?

Such as it is.

So EdM has abandoned the honest approach ?
    There's a difference between being honest, and recklessly honest.
  • Options
    Rooney out injured for Man U too - wow, surely they'll wheel him out for the Xmas games with RVP out...

Spurs play Man U on 1st Jan......
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

AveryLP said:

From the piece,it appears that borrowing will increase by 2.5 billion as a result of this move.
    I don't know where the Guardian got the £2.5 bn figure as I can't recollect seeing it in the ONS bulletin.

I guess it is the amount of government cash injected into Network Rail annually to meet an operating deficit. Josias Jessop will probably know.

But the change is in accounting classification and presentation and not net cash requirement. The government is not having to borrow more because of the re-classification: it is just having to disclose existing borrowing which was previously obscured.

As other posters have noted downthread, this new transparency is to be welcomed.

• Options

Rooney out injured for Man U too - wow, surely they'll wheel him out for the Xmas games with RVP out...

Spurs play Man U on 1st Jan......

Time for me back Spurs to beat Man U
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Fenster said:

I don't think the average casual voter associates Balls with Brown any more than Miliband or Labour as a whole. Nor do I think the personality of prospective chancellors makes much difference to voting intentions. If they do then it's bad news for the Tories, lets face it!

It would do more harm than good to Labour to get rid of Balls at this stage.

The GE2015 campaign will be heavily focussed on economic dividing lines, whether the parties want it to be or not.

The average casual voter will have Ed Balls' association with Brown rammed straight down their throats, whether they want to hear it or not.

But I do agree that it would probably be a negative move for Labour to remove him. Although ironically, I suspect the Tories would prefer Ed Balls to be in place as SCoE during the election.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Right had the roofwork quoted at a grand - slightly less than I was expecting tbh. Should be covered by my insurance as its storm damage.

Pulpstar

Forget about the cost.

Just make sure you mend the roof while the sun is shining.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Gone for Murat Yakin next Spurs manager at 18/1

After your tip for I'm a Celeb I've followed you in on that one.

My book on the next Spurs manager is:

+11.53 Sherwood, +2.13 The field, +67.13 Yakin +429 Zola !

The cost for all this malarkey is a touch of liquidity...
  • Options
    Survation polling for the Mirror

POLL RESULTS

Which is the best system for selecting members to sit in the upper chamber of Parliament?

The current system where members are appointed for life by political leaders - 11%

A new system where members are elected for a fixed term by the public - 76%

Don’t know - 13%

Does the House of Lords do a good job of representing Britain today?

Yes - 27%

No - 54%

Don’t know - 19%

Members of the House of Lords are paid £300 for each day they attend Parliament and the total cost of running the Lords is £101 million each year. Does the House of Lords provide good value for money?

Yes - 17%

No - 68%

Don’t know - 15%

Should the House of Lords continue to include 92 “hereditary” peers?

Yes - 23%

No - 53%

Don’t know - 24%

Should people who have served time in jail for a criminal offence be allowed to sit in the House of Lords?

Yes - 14%

No - 78%

Don’t know - 8%

Regardless of how members are chosen, should the House of Lords continue to exist, or should it be abolished entirely and the House of Commons become the only chamber of Parliament?

Should continue to exist - 49%

Should be abolished entirely - 32%

Don’t know - 19%

* Survation questioned 1,005 people on Tuesday for the poll.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lord-hanningfield-expenses-abuse-abolish-2941042
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

SMukesh said:

From fiscal rectitude to rectal fistitude in record time, poor Ed.
    Oh er missus !!

• Options
    Would Spurs really appoint another manager from Switzerland?

Sorry Spurs fans for reminding you of Christian Gross.
  • Options
    time to catch up with the New Thread.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Would Spurs really appoint another manager from Switzerland?

Sorry Spurs fans for reminding you of Christian Gross.

Gross was exactly that!

In recent times Basel have done superbly against Spurs, Chelsea and Utd. He wouldn't cost a fortune, plays good football and Basel are unlikely to stand in his way. Reasonable bet at the price.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @TSE

I have long thought abolition of the HOL the best option, interested to see it has 32% support. I think MPs want to keep it as a retirement home though!

I think it lets the HoC off the hook too easily by fixing badly written legislation. The HoC just needs some proper support to draft bills properly in the first place!

I think abolishing the HoL could be quite popular if one of the parties got behind it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,067
    Coming late to this thread to say that 'Cambourne and Redruth' must be the largest constituency in the country, given that Cambourne and Redruth are about 265 miles apart.

However, Camborne and Redruth are adjacent. The 'u' matters alot.

Pedantic, me?
This discussion has been closed.