Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Johnson care home comment row – Day 2

Comments

• Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621

The most expensive part of care, like the most expensive part of almost any business, is presumably the staffing. It takes FIVE full time equivalent staff per one person on the rota to provide 24/7 care - or another way of phrasing it is that even on minimum wage including National Insurance etc to have one person on costs the equivalent of nearly £60 per hour.

Err... there's a bit of an error in your maths - and it's not a cost of £60 per hour at minimum wage - it's minimum wage cost 24/7.

We use the same staffing algorithm in the NHS for 24/7 care. For each member of staff we need on shift 24/7, we need to employ just under 6 whole time equivalents:

24 hrs x 7 days = 172 hours per week to cover with a single member of staff.
    Assume 37.5 hrs working week => 172/37.5= 4.6 whole time equivalent staff.

Correct for annual leave (assume 44 working weeks per staff member), sickness and training and you get to just under 6 staff per 1 rostered position. But you're still only paying one at a time (well, slightly more than one because of the leave corrections).

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Scott_xP said:
    Maybe Ineos don;t like investing in a country run by a marxist corbynite.

Private sector firms which rely on profit to exist can be funny like that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited July 2020
    Survation shows 44% v 37% lead equal to a 36 seat majority and Boris still ahead of Starmer as best PM

You would not think so if you follow this forum
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247

kinabalu said:

Apparently the problem with Starkey's dropped bollock was down to a comprehension problem. I'm guessing it isn't his own comprehension he's talking about.

'The historian said the “misunderstanding of my words in no way reflects my views or practice on race”.'

Not dissimilar to the way we poor oiks have misunderstood “Too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures”. We really need to up our game.

Johnson was defended by Alok Sharma this morning on the grounds that "there weren't any procedures" therefore he - Johnson - was not criticizing care home staff who had "done brilliantly".

Those Johnson comments again - "care homes did not always follow the procedures."

This is gaslighting but so as not to cause @TOPPING a brain-ache let's call it what it also is - trolling. Trolling care home workers. Trolling anybody with a care for integrity and competence in government.

We need another election asap imo. The country has made a clear and grievous error. We deserve a chance to rectify matters before too much damage is done.
    The grievous error was that Labour decided to put up a not-so-crypto-Marxist as its candidate for the premiership because he tickled their funny bone and promised to make their wildest confiscatory fantasies come true. Just like said fantasies, they imagined that decision would be without cost. Well, it wasn't - the cost is half a decade in the wilderness watching the other side make all the decisions. And if Labour decide to go overboard on wealth taxes and wokeness, it'll be another five years after that, until they finally get the message...
    This - the Con win was because of Corbyn - has become a self-serving trope for people. A comfort blanket.

"Get Brexit Done" was potent and the "Boris" brand had real appeal to the Leave voters he needed in swing seats in the North and the Midlands. I heard the vox pops and the focus groups. There is no question about this.

With a moderate Labour leader the margin would have been less than 80 but the Cons would still have won. It wasn't all about Corbyn. He was key but Brexit was also key and so was "Boris". Give the guy (and Cummings for the messaging) some credit.

As for you, you seem to be content with a government sans vision or integrity or competence, whose only objective in power is to flaunt the fact they have power and to rile opponents. Fair enough. I want you to be happy. But it does strike me as rather hollow.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Boris Care Homes leading BBC NEWS @1. So that’s Rishi out of the headlines then...

Isn't Rishi speaking tomorrow?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Apparently the problem with Starkey's dropped bollock was down to a comprehension problem. I'm guessing it isn't his own comprehension he's talking about.

'The historian said the “misunderstanding of my words in no way reflects my views or practice on race”.'

Not dissimilar to the way we poor oiks have misunderstood “Too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures”. We really need to up our game.

Johnson was defended by Alok Sharma this morning on the grounds that "there weren't any procedures" therefore he - Johnson - was not criticizing care home staff who had "done brilliantly".

Those Johnson comments again - "care homes did not always follow the procedures."

This is gaslighting but so as not to cause @TOPPING a brain-ache let's call it what it also is - trolling. Trolling care home workers. Trolling anybody with a care for integrity and competence in government.

We need another election asap imo. The country has made a clear and grievous error. We deserve a chance to rectify matters before too much damage is done.
    When this all comes out I very much doubt anyone will come out of this well and to be honest Starmer would not have been any better

And as for an election it is four years away and no amount of wishing is going to change that
    To be highly speculative and partisan, Starmer would not have been any better, I think would be a slightly fairer way of putting that.

Next election? Yes, 2024 in all probability. Long time. Much damage possible by then. So much damage.
  • Options
    Survation interests me as historically they were a more pro-Labour pollster. How did they do at GE19?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Late to this and I'm sure I'm only echoing what everyone bar the most supine of Johnson sycophants have said already but really - what appalling comments. Seeking to deflect blame for the care home fiasco (which cost thousands of lives) onto the front line staff who worked for peanuts through the epidemic whilst he faffed around to no great effect except for ensuring we have the worst covid outcome in the world. Quite incredible. How low can this man go? How on earth have we ended up with an individual like this as our PM? Answers on a postcard.

Have we already discussed this article?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/boris-johnson-brexit-coronavirus

I think it is a brilliant article giving me new insights into the nature of leadership (dependence on followers) and also Boris's strengths and weakneses.  

"His brilliance lay in his performance as the non-political politician. Not well prepared, but chaotic. Not carefully controlled, but outrageous. Not dignified, but happy to appear a buffoon. Even the look – rumpled suit, tousled hair – and the name, Boris, foreswore the traditional politician’s dignity. Everything his political critics saw as gaffes and weaknesses actually served to affirm his anti-political identity, and their outrage marginalised themselves rather than Johnson.

None of this was accidental. Johnson’s apparently dishevelled, disorganised, improvised buffoonery was in fact very carefully rehearsed. His brilliance did not come despite his blundering. His blundering was his brilliance."

This is how we ended up with an individual like this as our PM. The answer isn't on a postcard but in this article.
    Thanks. A depressing read but it rings true. The "Boris" brand - which we discussed at length a few days ago - is a killer. It's fooled millions and continues to do so. And amongst those it doesn't fool there are plenty on the Tory side who are happy to go with it because it delivers at the polls. He's not as malevolent as Trump - not even close imo - but in the sense of being a phony and a shallow populist with only his own interests at heart he is our Trump. And I fear we're stuck with him for quite some time. Woe is us.
    Why are we supposed to applaud The Guardian for taking 15 years to notice this?
    I agree that the notion of "Boris" as pure (and very successful) brand is not the most blindingly original observation. However when floated on here recently many bridled.
    We ended up with this man as PM because the choice for PM was between a flawed Boris and a flawed Marxist. The political law of comparative advantage applied.

What on earth else was a centrist voter to do?
    The effective choice as regards outcome was -

Johnson Con majority and Brexit OR Corbyn Lab minority and Remain.

All intelligent floaters or centrists who voted did so with the above calculus available to draw on. All made their decision. All own it.
    Absolutely. All credit to the intelligent floaters or centrists who looked at that and overwhelmingly made the right decision.
    In your opinion
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

When this all comes out I very much doubt anyone will come out of this well and to be honest Starmer would not have been any better

And as for an election it is four years away and no amount of wishing is going to change that
    To be highly speculative and partisan, Starmer would not have been any better, I think would be a slightly fairer way of putting that.

Next election? Yes, 2024 in all probability. Long time. Much damage possible by then. So much damage.
    If Starmer had took over after the 2017 GE there wouldn’t have been a 2019 election
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: seems Haas' brakes failed due to overheating.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

And by 2024 this Country will be a successful independent trading nation but then optimism wins the day every time, not misery
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

To be fair, Starmer has consistently been following, rather than leading, the crowd on COVID. Maybe he'd have done better than Johnson, but I don't see the evidence for it. Given his temperament I imagine he'd have been just as paralysed at the prospect of spending government money or damaging the economy as Johnson was.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

And by 2024 this Country will be a successful independent trading nation but then optimism wins the day every time, not misery
    Ah you’re back to CCHQ bot mode, it was nice having a human for a few weeks. Oh well.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Reading various comments on this thread, it's curious that prejudice against a whole group, based on anecdote or the behaviour of a small number of the group, is seen as OK when the group is public-school educated toffs. I rather that imagine that the same people who show this prejudice would be utterly outraged if the group being unfairly vilified were, for example, benefit claimants, tenants, or black kids from inner London.

@Richard_Nabavi - black people have been "unfairly vilified" for most of history in a way the Etonian and Harrovian snobs have no conception of.

The Posh Boys have got off lightly in comparison...
    That's all right then. Some unfair vilification is OK because some other unfair vilification is worse. Got it.
    I think this is the wrong horse to be riding, Richard.

The only institution I know of which discriminates against all public schools but one (yes, Slough Grammar) is the Household Cavalry.

Not exactly a ditch to die in, now, is it!!
    My interest isn't in the prejudicee but the prejudicer, if you forgive the ugly neologisms. The toffs can look after themselves, of course, but I'm running a Quixotic one-man campaign to encourage those showing the prejudice to be more self aware. I suppose you could say that I'm trying to extend the boundaries of Wokeness.

I appreciate that my campaign is doomed to failure.
    I dropped them all long ago - as you must when you awake - but some of my best friends used to be public schoolboys.

That confidence they have - if allied to a naturally benign personality - can be extremely appealing.
    Care home provider owners: Guy Hands, Spencer Haber.
    Lehman Alumni: Guy Hands, Spencer Haber, @kinabalu.
    I realize I'm falling for the old "it's not £350m it's £250m" but -

I did NOT work with Hands at Lehman. It was at another bank. And I remember him piling into all sorts. Financial and fiscal engineering of the most mercenary type.

Did I put a hand up and try to stop it? Yes, I did. I thought about doing that many times.
    Well done you. The power of a positive mental attitude. At least you thought about doing it. Many times. And I bet you actually did it (with dash, bash and panache) in your fantasies.
    Yes indeed. I brought the house down. It was in the FT and there was an adoring interview with Jon Snow on CH4 news.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,011
    NHS England has released its latest detailed data.

The amount of English residents who have died of Covid without a preexisting condition stands at 1,366 to date from a population of 56.2 million.

The figure for the under-60s is 301.

I'd venture that most of the public would believe those numbers to be orders of magnitude higher.

• Options

The most expensive part of care, like the most expensive part of almost any business, is presumably the staffing. It takes FIVE full time equivalent staff per one person on the rota to provide 24/7 care - or another way of phrasing it is that even on minimum wage including National Insurance etc to have one person on costs the equivalent of nearly £60 per hour.

Err... there's a bit of an error in your maths - and it's not a cost of £60 per hour at minimum wage - it's minimum wage cost 24/7.

We use the same staffing algorithm in the NHS for 24/7 care. For each member of staff we need on shift 24/7, we need to employ just under 6 whole time equivalents:

Correct for annual leave (assume 44 working weeks per staff member), sickness and training and you get to just under 6 staff per 1 rostered position. But you're still only paying one at a time (well, slightly more than one because of the leave corrections).

That's what I was saying. You need 5 to 6 staff per 1 rostered position. National minimum wage is 8.72 but then employers NI is 13.8% too. 8.72×1.138x6 = £59.54 per hour.

Approximately £60 per hour.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Interesting Betfair market on Senate majority, they don't count Independents as Dem even if they caucus with them so the Dems will need to get to 53 senators to win in this market. Accordingly it's longer than most markets at bookies, but even 3.5 is arguably short.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.170351353
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    " the [Trump] campaign is counting on the TV jousting matches that are the forthcoming debates to make mince-meat of “Sleepy Joe”."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/06/donald-trump-set-stage-dramatic-presidential-comeback-history/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Honestly, I'd like to see how much he has taken out of his company over the last decade and then compare it to how much was spent on infectious disease planning. These owners are basically all shysters and troughers.
    Do you have that attitude for all sectors of business?

The only reason energy is expensive is that the owners of energy companies are all shysters and troughers?

Should we nationalise everything and become a Communist utopia in your eyes?
    Well no, they all went to their shareholders for cash calls in the last few months. That's what shareholders are for. I'm taking issue with this idea that the government should take the blame for carehome owners not wanting to spend the money they needed to.
    The government pays for care (or private individuals do) so if the costs for PPE goes up then the government needs to pay more and/or fees need to go up.
    Again, at the beginning of the pandemic, we know that the NHS with the unlimited resources of government behind it was unable to access adequate PPE for a time. Care homes, however well managed (and both we and government knew that many aren't), quite clearly would be in a worse situation.
    To expect that Covid patients could safely be dumped on care homes was simply irresponsible.
    I think it was the complete lack of testing before putting residents back in care homes that was the most irresponsible decision of this crisis. It should have been possible to test a few thousand people for the virus before sending them back, that no one in PHE thought to do it is another indictment of that organisation which has completely failed the country time and again. The original decision to free up bed space for expected incoming patients made sense, but the manner in which it was achieved gave the worst possible outcome.
    I don't disagree with that.
    The failings of public health are not, of course, the sole responsibility of the current government. The decline in capacity began two decades ago, and problems were likely exacerbated by Lansley separating the service out from the rest of healthcare.

PHE is, of course, the organisation tasked with contagious disease surveillance and control, and it seems clear that they were significantly lacking in capacity, whether management, number and scale of public health laboratories, or sheer numbers of staff available for (eg) contact tracing.

As an aside, the Deputy CMO, whose performance during the pandemic appears lamentable, was formerly a regional director of PHE.
    While the decision to empty the hospitals of the clinically well , but in need of care, population is now seen as an error, we also know far more today about asymptotic transmission than we did in March. Someone with no symptoms in hospital for say 5 days would have been seen as not in need of a test back then. Now we know different.
    That's tending towards being my favourite typo today, but it may never get there.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Maybe Ineos don;t like investing in a country run by a marxist corbynite.

Private sector firms which rely on profit to exist can be funny like that.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah you’re back to CCHQ bot mode, it was nice having a human for a few weeks. Oh well.
    Thankfully I was born optimistic and have no time for pessimism and cynicism
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

...and then you woke up!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:
    I learned everything I needed to know about Johnson and his ilk working as a waiter when I was a teenager, in a town with a university popular with English public school Oxbridge rejects. The casual rudeness to those considered their social inferiors is entirely familiar. It's no surprise to see him blaming the working class and immigrant workforce, mostly women, who've been risking their own health and wellbeing in minimum wage jobs in the care sector, for the mistakes of his government.

Everything you needed to know from some ra spilling your beer when they gave it to you?

I think more research is needed.
    Believe me, much more research was carried out subsequently. Early impressions were entirely confirmed.
    The saddest aspect of this though is that so many of those abused in this way by these evil people end up voting for them.
    The people you're describing aren't evil, and your referring to them as such without a hint of irony is worrying.
    I suspect you need to look at a few mirrors.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Reading various comments on this thread, it's curious that prejudice against a whole group, based on anecdote or the behaviour of a small number of the group, is seen as OK when the group is public-school educated toffs. I rather that imagine that the same people who show this prejudice would be utterly outraged if the group being unfairly vilified were, for example, benefit claimants, tenants, or black kids from inner London.

@Richard_Nabavi - black people have been "unfairly vilified" for most of history in a way the Etonian and Harrovian snobs have no conception of.

The Posh Boys have got off lightly in comparison...
    That's all right then. Some unfair vilification is OK because some other unfair vilification is worse. Got it.
    I think this is the wrong horse to be riding, Richard.

The only institution I know of which discriminates against all public schools but one (yes, Slough Grammar) is the Household Cavalry.

Not exactly a ditch to die in, now, is it!!
    My interest isn't in the prejudicee but the prejudicer, if you forgive the ugly neologisms. The toffs can look after themselves, of course, but I'm running a Quixotic one-man campaign to encourage those showing the prejudice to be more self aware. I suppose you could say that I'm trying to extend the boundaries of Wokeness.

I appreciate that my campaign is doomed to failure.
    I dropped them all long ago - as you must when you awake - but some of my best friends used to be public schoolboys.

That confidence they have - if allied to a naturally benign personality - can be extremely appealing.
    Care home provider owners: Guy Hands, Spencer Haber.
    Lehman Alumni: Guy Hands, Spencer Haber, @kinabalu.
    I realize I'm falling for the old "it's not £350m it's £250m" but -

I did NOT work with Hands at Lehman. It was at another bank. And I remember him piling into all sorts. Financial and fiscal engineering of the most mercenary type.

Did I put a hand up and try to stop it? Yes, I did. I thought about doing that many times.
    Well done you. The power of a positive mental attitude. At least you thought about doing it. Many times. And I bet you actually did it (with dash, bash and panache) in your fantasies.
    Yes indeed. I brought the house down. It was in the FT and there was an adoring interview with Jon Snow on CH4 news.
    I wonder if you can add ex-fooballers to that list? Those I have touched on seem to be 'sod the company, how much profit' types.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If we'd chosen realism over optimism, maybe there'd be 20,000 or so fewer dead from COVID in this country.

Still, chin up, eh?
  • Options

The amount of English residents who have died of Covid without a preexisting condition stands at 1,366 to date from a population of 56.2 million.

I'd venture that most of the public would believe those numbers to be orders of magnitude higher.

Sledgehammer, nail.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    There is 16K waiting to back Susan Rice (Veep) at 1.04.

Seems odd for a thin market.

Or am I missing something.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Survation shows 44% v 37% lead equal to a 36 seat majority and Boris still ahead of Starmer as best PM

I think you might have posted this on PB accidentally instead of Leftfootforward.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:
    I learned everything I needed to know about Johnson and his ilk working as a waiter when I was a teenager, in a town with a university popular with English public school Oxbridge rejects. The casual rudeness to those considered their social inferiors is entirely familiar. It's no surprise to see him blaming the working class and immigrant workforce, mostly women, who've been risking their own health and wellbeing in minimum wage jobs in the care sector, for the mistakes of his government.

Everything you needed to know from some ra spilling your beer when they gave it to you?

Believe me, much more research was carried out subsequently. Early impressions were entirely confirmed.
    The saddest aspect of this though is that so many of those abused in this way by these evil people end up voting for them.
    The people you're describing aren't evil, and your referring to them as such without a hint of irony is worrying.
    I can look in a mirror and do you know what I see?

My reflection.

Not evil. We aren't vampires.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746

Boris Care Homes leading BBC NEWS @1. So that’s Rishi out of the headlines then...

Isn't Rishi speaking tomorrow?
    His Green insulation deal is being trailed today - though as the BBC pointed out after they got to it it only covers 400,000 of the 25,000,000 homes that need it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    Dirty Sleazy Tories and Labour on the slide...
  • Options

I think you might have posted this on PB accidentally instead of Leftfootforward.
    This forum is remarkably balanced on Starmer. I’m the only real cheer leader
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Under the terms of the FTPA it is now less than 3 years and 10 months.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If Starmer had took over after the 2017 GE there wouldn’t have been a 2019 election
    Because Remain MPs would have put him in as caretaker PM to deliver Ref2?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

Dirty Sleazy Tories and Labour on the slide...
    Lib Dems prepare for Government ..
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2020

MaxPB said:

There's also much less immunity in Melbourne than there is in London and other major UK and European cities. By October London and the major cities will have 20-25% of people immune.
    There's been a massive spike in Georgia, yet deaths are falling fairly sharply.

Why?

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
    The death rates are remarkably low in the USA generally. The reasons remain unclear. The cynic in me suspects suppression for political reasons but there may be others, such as care facilities, age profile and even a different type of virus. Or course a combination of factors.
    And as time goes by medics are getting better and better at treating corona as they learn more about it.
    Yes, they learned that in some serious cases intubation can be very detrimental and there is a test that indicates if this will be the case.

But decreasing death rates, while obviously very welcome, are only part of the picture. It’s now clear that many survivors who suffered severe symptoms are being left with long-lasting, perhaps permanent, debilitation. And even if virtually everyone who is symptomatic were to fully recover, it still takes a minimum of two weeks and sometimes over a month for the virus to run its course. Lockdowns might have their price but if we’d let the virus rip and it resulted in 10-20% of the workforce being off sick for weeks over a short period of time, the impact would have been pretty much the same, if not worse,
  • Options

This forum is remarkably balanced on Starmer. I’m the only real cheer leader
    I think you've missed a few including if I can say it, Our Genial Host.

Sunil has had vote Starmer as his avatar for months.
  • Options

Though perhaps people wouldn't consider hypertension (50% of over 65s) a pre existing condition that would have them knocking on the pearly gates immenently.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

My reflection.

I was referring to those who smash up restaurants etc and treat waiters et al with contempt. Such people are evil - clearly lower forms of life..
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

To be fair, Starmer has consistently been following, rather than leading, the crowd on COVID. Maybe he'd have done better than Johnson, but I don't see the evidence for it. Given his temperament I imagine he'd have been just as paralysed at the prospect of spending government money or damaging the economy as Johnson was.
    At the very worst - and I do think this is pessimistic - he would have been not much better (on Covid) but we'd have had less lying and general twattery.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sledgehammer, nail.
    https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/time-think-differently/trends-disease-and-disability-long-term-conditions-multi-morbidity

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,746
    And to conclude the BBC NEWS at ONE the BBC goes to Somerset where the staff at a Care Home have been living in the home for 3 months away from their families to protect the residents have finally met their families again...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm sorry but "Only Fools & Horses" flashed up as I read that and I sense it did so for a reason.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

That does seem very odd indeed - implies her price is sub 1.04, do you mean waiting to lay her at 1.04 ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

My reflection.

I was referring to those who smash up restaurants etc and treat waiters et al with contempt. Such people are evil - clearly lower forms of life..
    Oh I misunderstood. You mean protestors?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

In Georgia, it seems that 7.5% of those under-60s diagnosed with Covid were ill enough to be hospitalised. Fortunately, the younger ones pull through better, but it's still very unpleasant.

And, also fortunately, the hospitals haven't yet been overloaded, otherwise that death rate would obviously go up quite a lot.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,018

This was mindless stuff, but it exposed the state of mind of Johnson and the Vote Leave hegemony. What matters is not objective truth. It is the power of positive ­thinking. It is not necessary to take into account the ­actual willingness of India or Canada or Australia to enter a British-led free trade zone. It is not necessary to think about what Trump means when he says America First. For Johnson, and for the wider nexus of Brexiteers, attitude alone shapes outcomes. Everything comes down to belief. The X Factor in this mentality is not ability – as in the TV talent contest – it is the undaunted determination to follow the dream.

Apply this to coronavirus and the key thing was not to be afraid of it. Faced with a threat of this magnitude, fear was both the proper, and the necessary, response. Not panic, of course, but the kind of ­rational dread that provokes urgency. To fall into Johnson’s own infantile language, the need was not for gloomsters but certainly for doomsters. Real, literal doom was in the air for hundreds of thousands, perhaps ­millions of people.

https://www.newstatesman.com/2020/07/fatal-delusions-boris-johnson
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Yet again LDs down 4%, Labour up 4% on GE19, Tory voteshare unchanged
  • Options
    Serious question: can Johnson say a single sentence without sounding/looking confused
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

My reflection.

And the Bullingdon crowd.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,988

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

My reflection.

Nope I think he means members of dining or drinking clubs at Universities who may not know when they've drunk too much and then instead of going to bed do foolish things...
  • Options
    Was this site mostly pro or anti Brexit during the referendum?
  • Options

And to conclude the BBC NEWS at ONE the BBC goes to Somerset where the staff at a Care Home have been living in the home for 3 months away from their families to protect the residents have finally met their families again...

Nice top and tail to the nice.

Top Boris says care workers didn't do enough
    Tail Care workers shown to have dropped everything for 3 months to care fo people....

Just one more thing to add to the "One Rule for us, another rule for you" message which will eventually destroy the tory party.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996

There is £8K at 1.03 and £4K at 1.04 waiting to back Elizabeth Warren.

Perhaps it's there to catch a strong rumour that crashes the price, picks up the bets, and then the rumour proves to be wrong? Could that be a betting strategy?

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,018

Serious question: can Johnson say a single sentence without sounding/looking confused

Get Brexit Done.

That is perhaps the only sentence he can say without looking confused (although he doesn't know what it means)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Late to this and I'm sure I'm only echoing what everyone bar the most supine of Johnson sycophants have said already but really - what appalling comments. Seeking to deflect blame for the care home fiasco (which cost thousands of lives) onto the front line staff who worked for peanuts through the epidemic whilst he faffed around to no great effect except for ensuring we have the worst covid outcome in the world. Quite incredible. How low can this man go? How on earth have we ended up with an individual like this as our PM? Answers on a postcard.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/boris-johnson-brexit-coronavirus

I think it is a brilliant article giving me new insights into the nature of leadership (dependence on followers) and also Boris's strengths and weakneses.  

"His brilliance lay in his performance as the non-political politician. Not well prepared, but chaotic. Not carefully controlled, but outrageous. Not dignified, but happy to appear a buffoon. Even the look – rumpled suit, tousled hair – and the name, Boris, foreswore the traditional politician’s dignity. Everything his political critics saw as gaffes and weaknesses actually served to affirm his anti-political identity, and their outrage marginalised themselves rather than Johnson.

None of this was accidental. Johnson’s apparently dishevelled, disorganised, improvised buffoonery was in fact very carefully rehearsed. His brilliance did not come despite his blundering. His blundering was his brilliance."

This is how we ended up with an individual like this as our PM. The answer isn't on a postcard but in this article.
    Thanks. A depressing read but it rings true. The "Boris" brand - which we discussed at length a few days ago - is a killer. It's fooled millions and continues to do so. And amongst those it doesn't fool there are plenty on the Tory side who are happy to go with it because it delivers at the polls. He's not as malevolent as Trump - not even close imo - but in the sense of being a phony and a shallow populist with only his own interests at heart he is our Trump. And I fear we're stuck with him for quite some time. Woe is us.
    I agree that the notion of "Boris" as pure (and very successful) brand is not the most blindingly original observation. However when floated on here recently many bridled.
    We ended up with this man as PM because the choice for PM was between a flawed Boris and a flawed Marxist. The political law of comparative advantage applied.

All intelligent floaters or centrists who voted did so with the above calculus available to draw on. All made their decision. All own it.
    Absolutely. All credit to the intelligent floaters or centrists who looked at that and overwhelmingly made the right decision.
    But they are coming to regret it. One could say "tough tittie" but that would be small and low. The key thing is to plot and execute the rescue mission in 2024 or (hopefully) before.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

" the [Trump] campaign is counting on the TV jousting matches that are the forthcoming debates to make mince-meat of “Sleepy Joe”."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/06/donald-trump-set-stage-dramatic-presidential-comeback-history/

There aren't going to be any TV debates, the Dems aren't that stupid.
  • Options
  • Options

Pretty even
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,650
    edited July 2020

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Honestly, I'd like to see how much he has taken out of his company over the last decade and then compare it to how much was spent on infectious disease planning. These owners are basically all shysters and troughers.

The only reason energy is expensive is that the owners of energy companies are all shysters and troughers?

Well no, they all went to their shareholders for cash calls in the last few months. That's what shareholders are for. I'm taking issue with this idea that the government should take the blame for carehome owners not wanting to spend the money they needed to.
    The government pays for care (or private individuals do) so if the costs for PPE goes up then the government needs to pay more and/or fees need to go up.
    Again, at the beginning of the pandemic, we know that the NHS with the unlimited resources of government behind it was unable to access adequate PPE for a time. Care homes, however well managed (and both we and government knew that many aren't), quite clearly would be in a worse situation.
    To expect that Covid patients could safely be dumped on care homes was simply irresponsible.
    I think it was the complete lack of testing before putting residents back in care homes that was the most irresponsible decision of this crisis. It should have been possible to test a few thousand people for the virus before sending them back, that no one in PHE thought to do it is another indictment of that organisation which has completely failed the country time and again. The original decision to free up bed space for expected incoming patients made sense, but the manner in which it was achieved gave the worst possible outcome.
    The failings of public health are not, of course, the sole responsibility of the current government. The decline in capacity began two decades ago, and problems were likely exacerbated by Lansley separating the service out from the rest of healthcare.

PHE is, of course, the organisation tasked with contagious disease surveillance and control, and it seems clear that they were significantly lacking in capacity, whether management, number and scale of public health laboratories, or sheer numbers of staff available for (eg) contact tracing.

As an aside, the Deputy CMO, whose performance during the pandemic appears lamentable, was formerly a regional director of PHE.
    While the decision to empty the hospitals of the clinically well , but in need of care, population is now seen as an error, we also know far more today about asymptotic transmission than we did in March. Someone with no symptoms in hospital for say 5 days would have been seen as not in need of a test back then. Now we know different.
    The guff about asymptomatic transmission, in this context, is pure deflection.

For a start, there were numerous papers recommending a 14 day quarantine period for travellers from areas with outbreaks, as early as January this year.*
    It's basic public health not to move people from an area of infection into a vulnerable community.

Moreover, if you look at the actual discharge guidance, there is no reference to asymptomatic individuals.
    And those discharge requirements were issued at the same time as Public Health England removed Covid-19's classification as a "High consequence infectious disease".

(*edit - and references to asymptomatic viral shedding back in February.
    The Japanese found around 40% of the cruise ship infected to be asymptomatic, and noted the risk that they could be infectious. The paper was published on February 11th.)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

But they are coming to regret it. One could say "tough tittie" but that would be small and low. The key thing is to plot and execute the rescue mission in 2024 or (hopefully) before.
    I've seen no evidence of regret yet. Tory poll shares still remarkably similar to election shares.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,309

Massively pro-Brexit. Only a few brave souls stayed to do their bit against the shrill rants of 'traitor. Traitor! TRAITOR!' that consumed the place.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,011
    Floater said:

Sledgehammer, nail.
    https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/time-think-differently/trends-disease-and-disability-long-term-conditions-multi-morbidity

If 15 million English residents have a preexisting condition, 41 million English residents do not right?

So out of 41 million people without comorbidity, 1,366 have died from Covid, the vast majority of whom are 60+.

Even without controlling for age, that's a rate of 0.003% – is that right?
  • Options

Massively pro-Brexit. Only a few brave souls stayed to do their bit against the shrill rants of 'traitor. Traitor! TRAITOR!' that consumed the place.
    Bovine manure.

It was very even.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1280479959237251072

The Government is honestly better off giving BT £500m for FTTP.
  • Options

Biden was expected to flop in the Primary debates, yet came out the winner...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,157
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1280448898797056000?s=20

Is this what BJ meant when he said there would be no border in the Irish Sea and guaranteed that businesses would face no extra costs or checks? Either I fear my comprehension skills have once again let me down, or BJ is a lying ****. I'll have to ponder long and hard on which it is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pretty even
    52-48 I think
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

"The first presidential debate, when the incumbent President Trump will face off against Joe Biden, will be held on Tuesday, September 29 at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana. "
    https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/politics/a32082680/presidential-debates-joe-biden-donald-trump-schedule/
  • Options
    edited July 2020

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1280479959237251072

The Government is honestly better off giving BT £500m for FTTP.

Um, James Ball isn't telling us anything we shouldn't already know, the reason why Huawei couldn't be binned immediately is that it's a core part of EE's (and BT's) systems

And because 5G is just an add-on to 4G for a lot of systems it's just a software update that is required
  • Options

Floater said:

Sledgehammer, nail.

If 15 million English residents have a preexisting condition, 41 million English residents do not right?

So out of 41 million people without comorbidity, 1,366 have died from Covid, the vast majority of whom are 60+.

Even without controlling for age, that's a rate of 0.003% – is that right?
    Looking at the Italian numbers, I remember that even up to under 80 with one co-morbidity was still pretty low.

You had to be over 80 with two or more co-morbidities to be really in the danger zone.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

eek said:

Boris - when in a hole never admit you are in a hole... Just keep digging and eventually you will get out.

Fairly soon I think this philosophy is going to result in him being buried alive..

Unfortunately, I'm increasingly of the view that the remarks made here by a government loyalist in the early days of Dom's Adventures in Durhamland were right. Not morally right, but an accurate reflection of reality.

Unless 40+ Conservative MPs defect to the opposition, or 183 vote against him in an internal vote of confidence, there's no reason for him to go anywhere. And having purged the most obvious traitors in 2019, those are both huge hurdles.

There's no actual process to get Boris or his favourites out before 2024. So until then, we plebs should just jog on. I think some of them enjoy the impotent rage.
    Freezing Stamp Duty? £1.3 billion
    Cost of the Job Retention Scheme? £123 billion
    Watching Piers Morgan rant and wail because Boris dared to demure from his sacred view of Who Is To Blame?

Priceless :wink:
    You've misspelt demur.
    I know as a classicist and alumni of one of the UK's great universities (as you never tire of telling us) that you're a stickler for that kind of thing, and would prefer to have it pointed out.
    LOL, they churn out these thick as mince tossers with 2:1's by the barrow load
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327

By IQ? Overwhelmingly Remain.
  • Options

Bovine manure.

It was very even.
    I think the sheer intellectual heft of the Remainers made it seem so, but numerically it was a least 2-to-1 in favour of Leave (mostly rabidly so).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    eek said:

Nice top and tail to the nice.

Top Boris says care workers didn't do enough
    Tail Care workers shown to have dropped everything for 3 months to care fo people....

Just one more thing to add to the "One Rule for us, another rule for you" message which will eventually destroy the tory party.
    I wonder if Boris' actual care staff in ICU are all on promises of hereditary peerages to not open their mouths about what they might really think.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Hmm, RCS1000 doesn't exactly have a low IQ...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Foxy said:

Pretty even
    ...under the line, the thread headers were almost all anti-Brexit, and in the years leading up to the referendum being announced, the headers used to tell us no one cared about the issue anyway
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

:) he was using Tory counting for new spending , you think of your spend and multiply by 5 for the gullible public, then rinse and repeat.
  • Options

Is this what BJ meant when he said there would be no border in the Irish Sea and guaranteed that businesses would face no extra costs or checks? Either I fear my comprehension skills have once again let me down, or BJ is a lying ****. I'll have to ponder long and hard on which it is.

I am quite glad that our government has decided to honour the WDA. At one time it looked as if we were going to break our word.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    HYUFD said:

Yet again LDs down 4%, Labour up 4% on GE19, Tory voteshare unchanged
    UK figures so Labour up 5%.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2020
    Foxy said:

Biden was expected to flop in the Primary debates, yet came out the winner...
    Biden didn't say that much during the debates while the others argued amongst themselves. In fact he complained multiple times about not being able to get a word in, which was probably for the best.

"The first presidential debate, when the incumbent President Trump will face off against Joe Biden, will be held on Tuesday, September 29 at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana. "
    https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/politics/a32082680/presidential-debates-joe-biden-donald-trump-schedule/
    And then...
    The second presidential debate was expected to take place at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor on Thursday, October 15, but in June, the institution withdrew from hosting the event due to health concerns amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Do not be surprised if the other debates are cancelled.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

A blind spot.

The biggest of which, common to many Leavers on here, was "this is not what I voted for/thought was going to happen/the action of any kind of sane government".

Then you have the @Richard_Tyndalls and @isams and @Casino_Royales of this world for whom any flavour of out is better than any flavour of in although don't mention EEA/EFTA or you'll have them fighting like cats in a sack.
  • Options

Not sure I should be responding to you after the alumni/alumnus incident but let me save you 25 milliseconds - it's b).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

No it wasn't, the only polling of PB voting intention had more LDs than average and fewer UKIP than the national average in 2015.

Those who did back Leave on here tended to be soft Brexiteers, you can count the pro WTO Terms Brexit backers on here on 1 hand
  • Options

Bovine manure.

It was very even.
    I think the sheer intellectual heft of the Remainers made it seem so, but numerically it was a least 2-to-1 in favour of Leave (mostly rabidly so).
    No it wasn't. People drew up list and it was very even.

You can't count all of Sean's personalities screaming Traitor as multiple people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No it wasn't, the only polling of PB voting intention had more LDs than average and fewer UKIP than the national average in 2015.

Those who did back Leave on here tended to be soft Brexiteers, you can count the pro WTO Terms Brexit backers on here on 1 hand
    As diehard Remainers you and I gave it our best shot but at times there's no telling some folk.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

A blind spot.

The biggest of which, common to many Leavers on here, was "this is not what I voted for/thought was going to happen/the action of any kind of sane government".

Then you have the @Richard_Tyndalls and @isams and @Casino_Royales of this world for whom any flavour of out is better than any flavour of in although don't mention EEA/EFTA or you'll have them fighting like cats in a sack.
    That’s not true, I would happily have voted remain if they stopped FOM.

I’d say there wouldn’t have been a referendum, UKIP wouldn’t have got 12.5% in a GE and nobody would have heard of Nigel Farage had Blair handled A8 accession more carefully. No one cared about the EU before it had a tangible effect on their everyday life
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

A blind spot.

Gotit.

Although that is a hypothetical too far given it was an impossibility. To amend a popular aunt/uncle saying, it's like saying you would happily shag Gordon Brown if he was female, 5ft 8ins and a supermodel.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And yet the minuscule contingent of WTO-ers won hands down in the end. Just goes to show what a bunch of drooling eunuchs the Softies really were, their 'vision' a hollow mockery.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

He needs telling this a few times.

He rants and raves about Boris and indeed, I yield to no one in my estimation of him as a useless, solipsistic twat.

But the effing Labour Party, of which I believe @kinabalu is a supporter, put Jeremy Effing Corbyn up against him so what did they expect to happen!?
    "Yebbut we came so close in 2017, only 55 seats fewer than the Tories!"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

A blind spot.

Gotit.

Although that is a hypothetical too far given it was an impossibility. To amend a popular aunt/uncle saying, it's like saying you would happily shag Gordon Brown if he was female, 5ft 8ins and a supermodel.
    I edited my answer to say

“I’d say there wouldn’t have been a referendum, UKIP wouldn’t have got 12.5% in a GE and nobody would have heard of Nigel Farage had Blair handled A8 accession more carefully. No one cared about the EU before it had a tangible effect on their everyday life”

There was an EU, that we were part of, pre 2004, and there was not much desire from the public to leave it
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,157
    Foxy said:

I am quite glad that our government has decided to honour the WDA. At one time it looked as if we were going to break our word.
    It rather negates all the tough guy bluster about calling the EU bluff and negotiating down to the wire, unless the unlucky Norns are going to be left out of our exciting Global UK future.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

A blind spot.

I’d say there wouldn’t have been a referendum, UKIP wouldn’t have got 12.5% in a GE and nobody would have heard of Nigel Farage had Blair handled A8 accession more carefully. No one cared about the EU before it had a tangible effect on their everyday life
    So you could have lived with the ECJ interfering with our bananas?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That's tending towards being my favourite typo today, but it may never get there.
    very good! I am the first to jump on others getting words wrong, so hoist on my own mallard, as the saying doesn't go...
This discussion has been closed.