Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final phone poll of 2013 has almost no change on Novemb

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    Bobajob said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I put a lightbulb in a cup the other day. I suggest noone does this, the bulb must have expanded on cooling now and it is stuck.

According to my friend who has worked in A&E, putting a lightbulb in a cup, isn't the most exciting place where a lightbulb has been put.

If someone comes into A&E with a lightbulb and worries that it has grown, well it probably has.
    That's another post of the year candidate right there.
    Nah that was CD13's post comparing the great flood to the disaster at the bottom of your garden.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I downloaded SeanT's book about finding girlfriends earlier today. Just reading the introduction now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are Labour in favour of the third runway btw ?

No. Some Labour pro-third-runway zealots got very excited by the story of an apparent U-turn in the FT recently:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/318967b2-6289-11e3-99d1-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2nmEBsktY

But it was rubbished by Miliband's crowd the very next day (as I predicted it would be):

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/dec/12/labour-dismisses-third-runway-uturn
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Pulpstar said:

Bobajob said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I put a lightbulb in a cup the other day. I suggest noone does this, the bulb must have expanded on cooling now and it is stuck.

According to my friend who has worked in A&E, putting a lightbulb in a cup, isn't the most exciting place where a lightbulb has been put.

If someone comes into A&E with a lightbulb and worries that it has grown, well it probably has.
    That's another post of the year candidate right there.
    Nah that was CD13's post comparing the great flood to the disaster at the bottom of your garden.
    A fair point. It's a tough field this year. :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    saddened said:

isam said:

Labour Lead was 9% a year ago with ComRes.

Definite trend seeing Labour's lead shrinking since this time last year.

You are a disgrace for saying I would cheer Jean de Menezes being shot. You misunderstood what I said and aren't man enough to admit it.

Joker
    I think the bigger issue is your claim that you would take a baseball bat to a bound man. Cheering the death or not of someone you have never met pales into insignificance.
    Who had just cut someones head off, yes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    AndyJS said:

I downloaded SeanT's book about finding girlfriends earlier today. Just reading the introduction now.

I bought that book for my wife. She's still with me, but for a time, it was touch and go.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Pulpstar said:

Balls in favour,Miliband against.Hopefully Miliband will give in.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Some very interesting posts over the last few hours that reveal more about the posters than they probably wanted to.

How Many passive-aggressive people does it take to change a lightbulb?

Don't worry, I'll just do EVERYTHING myself.
  • Options
    Looks like angy Bob Willis agrees with us about Boxing Day. Swann, Prior, Anderson out.
  • Options

Looks like angy Bob Willis agrees with us about Boxing Day. Swann, Prior, Anderson out.

And Pietersen as well.

• Options
    Stand by everything I said re Lee Rigby's killers... people can agree or disagree

But anyway...

Does anyone think that Ed Miliband's energy price freeze may have been pledged in order to make Cameron shift leftwards and therefore reinforce the view of Tory>UKIP switchers that Cameron is a lefty?

Could it be a tactic for Labour to manoeuvre Cameron into centre left policies to leave him stranded between a rock (LD) and a hard place (UKIP)
  • Options

And Pietersen as well.

Really? Gower Tweet suggested KP is in.
  • Options
    Amusement and a little snippet with betting implications in a single short piece on Boris:

The amusement: Boris Johnson has dismissed Nick Clegg's impact on government as little more than serving as "David Cameron's lapdog". The mayor of London said the Lib Dem leader was a "great yellow albatross" who had been "converted by taxidermy into a protective shield" for the prime minister.

The betting-related snippet: Speaking to journalists in Westminster on Tuesday, Boris insisted he would not be an MP before the next election. Asked if he would be in the Commons in 2015 he said: "No." However the mayor, who is long rumoured to be eying up a return to parliament, did not rule out ever standing for election to Westminster once his term runs out in 2016. "After two and a half years of being mayor, who knows?" he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/17/boris-johnson-nick-clegg_n_4458992.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

• Options
    isam said:

Stand by everything I said re Lee Rigby's killers... people can agree or disagree

But anyway...

Does anyone think that Ed Miliband's energy price freeze may have been pledged in order to make Cameron shift leftwards and therefore reinforce the view of Tory>UKIP switchers that Cameron is a lefty?

Could it be a tactic for Labour to manoeuvre Cameron into centre left policies to leave him stranded between a rock (LD) and a hard place (UKIP)

Cameron is basically a centrist, like Clegg. Maybe a smidgen to the right of him. Not much. Spanning the bridge between his own backbenchers/UKIP incliners and the Lib Dems was always going to be tough. I don't think he's done too bad a job actually, but it leaves the play open for the LOTO as you describe and Miliband has taken advantage.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The UKPR polling average has been updated. The Labour lead is now 5%:

Lab 38%
    Con 33%
    LD 10%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    FPT, of course every Defendant must be given the opportunity to defend himself; and Counsel must be able to defend unpopular Defendants, without risk to themselves.

In advance of the verdict, I don't want to say what I think about the behaviour of Defence Counsel in this case. But, I think the opinions of our former LCJ, in the case cited by LIAMT, are apt.
  • Options

And Pietersen as well.

Really? Gower Tweet suggested KP is in.
    I have no idea if he is in or out.

But he should be dropped for the next test.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not really. I doubt the UKIPers are that antagonistic to Miliband's clumsy interventionism anyway. To them, the energy companies are grasping Continental monoliths that have been allowed to infiltrate Britain and exploit the natives by a continuous line of traitors from MacMillan to Cameron. They'd probably quite relish Ed's suffocating them out of existence.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Jeremy Hunt doing his best to get out the NHS vote for Labour

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-staff-told-no-pay-2937572. I can see his point and its one I agree with, pay should be restrained. But MPs should lead by example - the 11% from IPSA is a great way to show solidarity with the workers. Tough times and all that.

Labour couldn't have written this better themselves. At a time when the public find out MP's are looking at getting an 11% rise, Jeremy Chum announces "that 1% we said the nurses were getting, do as we say or you are getting eff all".It's all about the delivery and the timing.He should have went for the full house and finished with "and don't forget.......we are all in this together".

• Options

Amusement and a little snippet with betting implications in a single short piece on Boris:

The amusement: Boris Johnson has dismissed Nick Clegg's impact on government as little more than serving as "David Cameron's lapdog". The mayor of London said the Lib Dem leader was a "great yellow albatross" who had been "converted by taxidermy into a protective shield" for the prime minister.

The betting-related snippet: Speaking to journalists in Westminster on Tuesday, Boris insisted he would not be an MP before the next election. Asked if he would be in the Commons in 2015 he said: "No." However the mayor, who is long rumoured to be eying up a return to parliament, did not rule out ever standing for election to Westminster once his term runs out in 2016. "After two and a half years of being mayor, who knows?" he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/17/boris-johnson-nick-clegg_n_4458992.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Lay Boris for next mayor of London ?

He is implied > 50% chance to run again for Conservatives btw.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    England lost badly because they miss Trott.He`s been their rock!
  • Options
    Gottlieb has brought the twittersphere's opprobrium on himself. Also hasn't he neglected his QC duties by not performing a cross examination ?! Or am I misreading Casciani's tweet.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Too long to tie your money up.

I was thinking more about Next Con Leader, and also the markets on whether Boris will stand for parliament at or before the next election (Coral and Ladbrokes). Nothing I'd recommend there, though - the implications are more that there's no value at the moment.

Incidentally, I take it you've seen PP Hastings & Rye? Should be more like 2/1 or 3/1 at most.
  • Options
    isam said:

I think the main goal was for Labour to have a policy that low-information voters liked and understood, but there's certainly a common pre-election tactic here: You don't want your populist panders to be things that the other side can easily match. It's better if they do something they'll be ideologically opposed to, or that'll go down badly with an important part of their coalition. That way the other side loses whether they follow you or not. Often it helps for these policies to be really stupid ideas that wouldn't work in practice or at all, because the stupider they are, the harder it is for your opponent to get his people to agree to match them.

The current Tory attempt to use the same tactic is to pretend to think they're going to persuade 28 countries to rewrite the Treaty of Rome.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Too long to tie your money up.

I was thinking more about Next Con Leader, and also the markets on whether Boris will stand for parliament at or before the next election (Coral and Ladbrokes). Nothing I'd recommend there, though - the implications are more that there's no value at the moment.

Incidentally, I take it you've seen PP Hastings & Rye? Should be more like 2/1 or 3/1 at most.
    Have now. Hit max - Paddy has allowed me £13.92 this time. Taken at 6-1. Cheers Rich.
  • Options
    Quite funny how they manage to misprice so many constituency markets.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited December 2013
    You know Christmas is upon us when the killjoys start bleating.

From the same group that is campaigning to kill the McDonalds Happy Meal comes criticism of the NORAD Santa Tracker, beloved of US and Canadian kids for decades.

One of their videos shows Santa's sleigh being accompaned by a pair of fighter jets. This according to the group will lead children to associate Santa with the military and brings violence and militarism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/16/norad-santa-tracker_n_4455308.html

It's a great fun app and you can get it for android and iphone.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Quite funny that a seat CON already holds is priced up at 6-1 and yet CON majority is 100-30...

Should be the other way round !

• Options
    Sorrry to keep commenting on it but Gottlieb has truly jumped the shark today in the Rigby case:

"He is a killer, he’s a monster, he said he will kill again."

Never noted he said that when I was originally panning him. Why bother to launch into 5 hours of politicised guff when you say that about your client ?!

• Options
    He;s tried to be too clever by half and I await the judge's report with relish.
  • Options
    No Test match :O(
  • Options
    Food for thought:

Compare and contrast:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525241/Married-teacher-jailed-affair-pupil-sex-car.html?ico=home^headlines

18 months Jail. Sex offenders register for 10 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10464642/Female-teacher-struck-off-for-seducing-student-16-on-Facebook.html

She was given an indefinite prohibition order and told she would have to wait two years before reapplying to teach.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Sen. Tom Coburn's (R-OK) annual Wastebook is out.

My favorite - and there are some truly horrendous and egregious examples of waste - is the $400k the federal government spent on an intelligence study of the Tea Party.

The result - Tea Party members are more intelligent than the population at large.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

My favorite - and there are some truly horrendous and egregious examples of waste - is the $400k the federal government spent on an intelligence study of the Tea Party.

The result - Tea Party members are more intelligent than the population at large.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525555/The-revolving-door-NHS-managers-3-200-pay-offs--return-new-jobs.html

Figures from the Department of Health show that one in six managers and administration workers made redundant in the last three years were taken on again by the NHS.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525555/The-revolving-door-NHS-managers-3-200-pay-offs--return-new-jobs.html#ixzz2nmiJpylA
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thats an astonishing %. What a waste of cash. No wonder theres no money for pay rises. The Gov't have completely f&cked this one up.
  • Options
    The Washington Post fact checker column has announced its Top Ten Lies of the year -Obama has THREE of them, including Number 1, which was also nominated Politifact's Lie Of The Year -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2013/12/16/the-biggest-pinocchios-of-2013/
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

The Coburn wastebook totals $30 billion of government waste
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Yet more childish trolling. The Labour Lead was just 2% last night, and this news was also greeted with an opinion poll post desert on here.....Again, very similar to the equally quiet evening polling thread on here the night before you trolled with a similar meme at the weekend.

Poll......what poll?

surbiton said:

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 1m
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead jumps back up to eight points:
    CON 33%, LAB 41%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%

Pity ! Crossover postponed yet again !!
    Phew - I'd have lost £500 if Computerash did bet! I'd offered a bet that this poll would have the Blues 6% or less behind... he bottled it but was right - it was 7% or more...

Hoorar!!!
    As I said last night I do not bet.

However, being correct about tonight's poll is enough for me.

PS - Opinion poll post desert on here tonight.....as I said it would be last night on here.

Poll......what poll?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Who would know, and if they had U turned, who would know about that either?
    Pulpstar said:

• Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I cycled the sierra nevada stage of the Vuelta d'espana on a shopping bike (only one I could find for hire in Granada). My time wasn't great :) A basket is always a handy thing to have though!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    In the previous thread there was a somewhat lively and unusual discussion about the practical or ethical uses of torture and/or other punishments for suspected or convicted terrorists and/or criminals, and/or the lawyers who defend them, and what the purpose or effect would be of such issues.

All of which pales into insignificance compared with the horrendous crimes of the despicable renegade counter-revolutionary thought-criminal terrorist Martin Clunes, whose unfathomable hatred and contempt for the Vast Majority Of Ordinary Normal Decent People led him on HIGNFY to refer to Kim Jong-un and Jang Song-thaek as "Kim Yong-un" and "Yang" respectively. We will all know whom to blame if the heroic People's Army of the DPRK drops a nuclear bomb on the BBC.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,040
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525555/The-revolving-door-NHS-managers-3-200-pay-offs--return-new-jobs.html

Figures from the Department of Health show that one in six managers and administration workers made redundant in the last three years were taken on again by the NHS.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525555/The-revolving-door-NHS-managers-3-200-pay-offs--return-new-jobs.html#ixzz2nmiJpylA

Thats an astonishing %. What a waste of cash. No wonder theres no money for pay rises. The Gov't have completely f&cked this one up.
    To be fair to the current Government (why??) this has always been the case. Every re-organisation I've seen since 1974 has either resulted in more people described as managers (although they may also be clinicians) or has meant that a sort of musical chairs has gone on, with nearly everyone whose previous job was "abolished" ending up in a new NHS one. Some of course took early retirement, which frequently meant that they returned as part-time "consultants". That's not necessarily DrFoxin etc's sort, although it may be!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Strangely, I think this is working well. At my hospital the director of strategy used to work for the strategic health authority, and some of the community managers used to work for us. These people switching sides is making for much more consensual negotiations. It is working better than I expected.
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

• Options

Strangely, I think this is working well. At my hospital the director of strategy used to work for the strategic health authority, and some of the community managers used to work for us. These people switching sides is making for much more consensual negotiations. It is working better than I expected.

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

I think it often did work well. The problem is the worry (and resulting lack of focus) of the people who had to change, and just might lose, their jobs and frequent disruption of the essential work/social networks.
    I'm not entirely sure, looking at what's going on locally, that things are as good in my neck of the woods as they are in Leicester. Small sample: one of the two local GP's has just resigned "because he can't stand the politics." He's in his 40's.
  • Options
    Good luck Tim (Sherwood).

Today sees the 25th change in Spurs manager in my life.... 20 of those have been since 1991.

From 1898 to 1983 there were 16 changes.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Things are a long way from perfect here. Our main A/E is in crisis and the UHL Trust is forecasting a £40 million overspend this finyear.

But these are not due to the Lansley reforms, but to serial underinvestment in facilities locally and Gordon Browns profligacy. The Labour manifesto in 2010 did not have a commitment to ringfence the NHS budget. The misery would have been as bad, or worse under a continuity Brown regieme.

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

I think it often did work well. The problem is the worry (and resulting lack of focus) of the people who had to change, and just might lose, their jobs and frequent disruption of the essential work/social networks.
    I'm not entirely sure, looking at what's going on locally, that things are as good in my neck of the woods as they are in Leicester. Small sample: one of the two local GP's has just resigned "because he can't stand the politics." He's in his 40's.
  • Options

Today sees the 25th change in Spurs manager in my life.... 20 of those have been since 1991.

Is it defo Tim ?

2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1, an individual appointed by Tottenham Hotspur FC on an ‘interim’, ‘caretaker’, ‘temporary’ (including an appointment described as ‘to the end of the season’) or similar basis who remains manager in that capacity for at least 10 completed consecutive English League games (including over the course of more than a single season), will be considered to have been appointed as the next first team manager for the purpose of this market and Betfair will settle the market accordingly on that person.
  • Options

football managers like education policies. outcomes in most cases would be better if they weren't changed every 5 minutes..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    edited December 2013
    Good morning, everyone.

Thin end of the wedge if we let some prisoners get the vote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25421082

If you want to vote don't bloody stab anyone.

Edited extra bit: F1: Allan McNish has retired from racing:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/139809.html

I hope this means he'll become a regular on the BBC's F1 coverage.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    We are getting to the time of year where there is very little political news which might explain the drop in traffic (even allowing for Tim) but the unemployment figures out this morning will be noteworthy.

Unemployment is one of the few unalloyed successes of the Coalition and there have been lots of indications from PMIs etc that if anything job creation is accelerating. There is a lot of statistical noise in one month's figures but the government should get something to crow about today.
  • Options
    Agree that the NHS has been mis-funded for a long time, and I'm not saying that Labour did a lot better. In fact, the re-organisation under Labour caused almost as much trouble and confusion at ground level. I'm not sure either that the consequences of the re-organisation of public health services is for the better or worse. Some new brooms are asking new questions, which may be good!

A&E's problems seem to be related to some degree to shortcomings in the the GP service. Scotland has a Minor Ailments Scheme for easier access to medication; is the situation better there or about the same?
  • Options
    Btw I can see the potential for double upsides (Opposite to arb risk) on the Spurs manager if say he is replaced after 11 games. I would be wary of laying Sherwood on Betfair also for this reason. Best to back him on Betfair (I think)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,359
    For all except the already-politically-obsessed (that'll be us..), the autumn statement this year was as good as invisible, drowned out completely by Mandela
  • Options
    UK unemployment numbers are out a 9:30am, as are November retail sales.

Before that (at 9am), we have German IFO business climate and current assessment data, as well as the Bank of Spain bad loan data.
  • Options
    Mildly amused by this: Clegg wants to stop peers having a 'job for life':
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25421087

Apparently not turning up or bringing Parliament into disrepute should be considered cause for sanction. Before Clegg runs off making more promises he should get the recall law on the books (Cameron also deserves criticism for the failure of that to make progress, but I don't think he's made these remarks on the Lords).

"However, he said more root-and-branch change was needed and reiterated his party's commitment to an elected Lords - despite the coalition having to abandon plans last year in the face of Conservative opposition."

It'll be fascinating to see if he can come up with a madder scheme than one off 15 year terms. It'll be a hard task, though.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2013
    I thought 2013 would be the year Labour forged a commanding lead in the polls. It hasn't happened.

Many seasoned observers predicted the last election would be a hasrh one to win and would come with the millstone of dreadful midterm unpopularity.

I'm surprised Labour hasn't deveoped a bigger lead. I'm surprised on the basis that voters' memories are notoriously short, life is a financial struggle out there for many, the cuts have kicked in, and Labour - unprecedently - has the good fortune of having both their opposition parties together in government.

Of course, Ed can win in 2015 even by having less of the overall vote share than Cameron. But given that he'll be inheriting a difficult financial position (debt will be at a record high, the deficit will still be large, there will be no money to spend, the unions will be urging pay rises etc - all the fundamentals will be agitation against a rise in lving standards) he'll want as big a popular mandate as possible.

Cameron's popular mandate was 37%. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially against Brown. Will Labour under Ed achieve a figure as high as that, from where they are now?

I can see another coalition happening, between Labour and the Lib Dems. And that will be fraught with unpopular policy meddling, difficulties with the left of the party, and a need for patient, mature pragmatism from the leadership - much like we've seen from this government. That'll be hard going. But then my prediction are often miles out.
  • Options

Mildly amused by this: Clegg wants to stop peers having a 'job for life':
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25421087

Apparently not turning up or bringing Parliament into disrepute should be considered cause for sanction. Before Clegg runs off making more promises he should get the recall law on the books (Cameron also deserves criticism for the failure of that to make progress, but I don't think he's made these remarks on the Lords).

"However, he said more root-and-branch change was needed and reiterated his party's commitment to an elected Lords - despite the coalition having to abandon plans last year in the face of Conservative opposition."

It'll be fascinating to see if he can come up with a madder scheme than one off 15 year terms. It'll be a hard task, though.

It is, of course, well worth remembering that a 'recall' law is effectively AV by another name. It's just the opportunity to force the run-off comes after the election, where the other candidates gang up together.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, pish and piffle! Recall allows a chap or lady who has been bad to be kicked out posthaste. Nothing to do with AV.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, pish and piffle! Recall allows a chap or lady who has been bad to be kicked out posthaste. Nothing to do with AV.

Let us imagine a situation where there is a seat which is a four way marginal, between UKIP, Conservative, LibDem and UKIP.

UKIP wins the seat with 26% of the vote. (A little like Inverness in 1987).

Now post election there is a Conservative-LibDem coalition. So - having 50% of the vote between them in the constituency - they get together and decide to hunt down their voters, get the required signatures on the page, and force a recall by-election, where only one of the coalition members stand.

See my point? Unlikely, but a possible scenario.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Btw I can see the potential for double upsides (Opposite to arb risk) on the Spurs manager if say he is replaced after 11 games. I would be wary of laying Sherwood on Betfair also for this reason. Best to back him on Betfair (I think)

The next Chelsea manager market will be open soon, my money will be on Simone though Steve Clarke would be my choice.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    edited December 2013
    YouGov is of course nice for Labour, but I think it's an outlier, just as the 2-point one was. The only point to make is that those who were seduced into saying "The 2-point lead may be an outlier but it does show the downward trend" and the like were probably kidding themselves. The basic position is that Labour has been in the 37-43 range for THREE YEARS with occasional outliers and the Tories in the 29-33 range for EIGHTEEN MONTHS. Opinium has both parties slightly lower and UKIP higher, clearly for methodological reasons. There was a period when Labour was consistently in the upper end and that's not been true for nine months, but otherwise the electorate is as stable as a rock, and there's no reason to doubt that it's currently about 38/32.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

Will it change radically in the last 16 months? Probably not. The voters seem unmoved by both good and bad news for the Government and Opposition. The reason that feels odd is that there's usually a frothy, dissatisfied slice of voters who jump around restlessly reacting against each party in turn, but this time they're feeling quite at home with UKIP.

• Options
    Mr. 1000, the recall proposal, as I understand it, would necessitate criminal wrongdoing prior to any petition of apparently disgruntled voters. Otherwise the sort of scenario you outline would enable parties to get up to all kinds of mischief.
  • Options
    By the way, we do need tim back - seanT can't do the job of stirring us up all on his own!
  • Options

Mr. 1000, the recall proposal, as I understand it, would necessitate criminal wrongdoing prior to any petition of apparently disgruntled voters. Otherwise the sort of scenario you outline would enable parties to get up to all kinds of mischief.

How many MPs have remained MPs post-criminal conviction?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

By the way, we do need tim back - seanT can't do the job of stirring us up all on his own!

Oh No, we don't.

[Well, it's almost Panto-time].
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Yep, I'll second that. tim's a one-off. As I said before, I don't know whether they broke the mould after, or before, they made him.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Com res q: Q.6 Which one of these do you think should be the most important priority for the British Government over the next five years?

Ensuring the economy continues to grow : 41%
    Ensuring wages rise faster than prices : 25%
    Keeping inflation down : 17%
    Reducing the Government deficit : 12%
    Other : 3%

So only 1 in 4 have the same priority as Ed - the rest are more concerned with the stuff the govt is achieving.

• Options
    One more post and then I must do some work:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/syria-crisis-assad-idINDEE9BG0EB20131217

Comments from the often well-informed Yokel in particular would be interesting.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Let us imagine a situation where there is a seat which is a four way marginal, between UKIP, Conservative, LibDem and UKIP.

UKIP wins the seat with 26% of the vote. (A little like Inverness in 1987).

Now post election there is a Conservative-LibDem coalition. So - having 50% of the vote between them in the constituency - they get together and decide to hunt down their voters, get the required signatures on the page, and force a recall by-election, where only one of the coalition members stand.

See my point? Unlikely, but a possible scenario.
    Since when was more by-elections a problem for people of this parish ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnO said:

Oh No, we don't.

[Well, it's almost Panto-time].
    Buttons .... He's behind you !!

• Options
    IanB2 said:

For all except the already-politically-obsessed (that'll be us..), the autumn statement this year was as good as invisible, drowned out completely by Mandela

As I said at the time perhaps Ed Balls is a lucky General.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

He could come back a changed man Mr Palmer.

In his enforced absence I imagine he's met the spirit of PB past, the spirit of PB present and the spirit of PB yet to come.

He'll return blogging that Osborne is the best chancellor ever and urging Scott P and Fitalass to greater things in Scotland.

Then again..... :-)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    I prefer the threads when they're not dominated by any one poster frankly, though some of the very recent ones have revealed some very surprising and - to me - unwelcome views.

I don't suppose anyone really cares about politics at the moment. I for one am more concerned about why John Lewis's Click and Collect is not working. I will not be a happy bunny if I have to go to the shops this week (Oxford Street and Brent X before Xmas are the secular equivalent of one of Dante's Circles of Hell), not least because I am recovering from a nasty chest infection and the revelation that I have an underlying long-term lung problem.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

He could come back a changed man Mr Palmer.

In his enforced absence I imagine he's met the spirit of PB past, the spirit of PB present and the spirit of PB yet to come.

He'll return blogging that Osborne is the best chancellor ever and urging Scott P and Fitalass to greater things in Scotland.

Then again..... :-)
    tim = the ghost of Xmas pest more like
This discussion has been closed.