Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new way of showing how LAB and CON are viewed

Comments

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    Is that a shift in the EU position? I thought they had been pretty clear that one was needed all along? It is certainly the sensible position.
    I think it's not a shift as such, but a rather stronger statement than previously.

It's academic anyway, Boris has stupidly locked himself into a straitjacket on this and thrown away the key. Presumably the EU are just positioning themselves to be able to say it wasn't their fault when the chaos starts.
    Spot on: they are positioning themselves for emergency negotiations in early 2021 and hint dropping at that time what it wouldn't be an emergency if the UK had taken the EU's suggestion now.

If there is any doubt that it will come to that then they should read this:

https://www.ft.com/content/7efb877a-8b58-4f7d-9a35-4d21de6638e4

The UK literally doesn't have the infrastructure in place to cope with inspections on EU trade so if the UK Government isn't bluffing then they are about to unleash a disaster on the UK Economy.

For the EU the outcome is the same: a UK-EU trade deal along the parameters they have set out. It is either agreed now or later.
    You may just be in for a surprise and not the one you hope for
    Just to be clear I don't want the UK to extend; the sooner the learning process begins the better.

The UK requesting an extension wouldn't surprise me but I still don't see it happening based on the mouth-frothing idealogues who do the thinking for the government.

The EU changing the parameters they have set out? Even after all the ramping up we've seen so far it could happen but they would still expect movement from the UK government and the mouth-frothing idealogues in the government and who drive government behavour from without will not allow it.

The UK is going over the edge and there is no "good idea" to save it: enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Scott_xP said:
    People are still listening to Ferguson?

Goodness.
    There is at least one fuckwit in the government that is still listening to Cummings!
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Scott_xP said:

Goodness.
    More Or Less was worth listening to this morning. Seems SAGE took Ferguson's model as the main input, and other voices that had different results were, well, not ignored as such, but given less weight.

At the time his model had doubling at 5 or 6 days whereas it was in fact 3 days. That made all the difference to our lockdown being later than it should have been, if your plan was to lockdown and eventually suppress.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is that a shift in the EU position? I thought they had been pretty clear that one was needed all along? It is certainly the sensible position.
    I think it's not a shift as such, but a rather stronger statement than previously.

It's academic anyway, Boris has stupidly locked himself into a straitjacket on this and thrown away the key. Presumably the EU are just positioning themselves to be able to say it wasn't their fault when the chaos starts.
    It really depends, if the EU ask, could the UK not stipulate the circumstances under which an extension will be granted?
    The only way we could accept an extension is if they say we will not be on the hook for any of the next EU budget (beyond regular contribs), or any eurozone bailouts, coronafunds, etc. And we won't accept any new EU laws in that time (like a sudden FTT).

Not sure if that is even legally feasible. Would it not require Treaty change?
    If we want to take, we have to give. Something the Tories seem unable to appreciate.
    That cuts both ways. If the EU want to take us into an extension, they need to give us very favourable terms to do so. Otherwise why should we go along with what they want?

Before we get an extension, the question must be asked and answered: Why? What is the extension for?

Is it because we're making good progress on negotiating a long term solution but need more time to iron out the kinks?
    Or is it because we're no closer than when we started on even agreeing together where we even want to end up, so the extension is to avoid making tough decisions yet and just kicking the can down the road?

An extension for the former can be argued for, an extension for the latter is absurd. That seems to be what many want though.
    The only reason for the extension is to play for time to keep Britain in the EU.
    You do know that we have left, right?
    A lot of Brexiters are like those Japanese soldiers that are still fighting the last war. The only difference is that the former are only cut off from reality by their own stupidity lol.</blockquote

Its funny I feel exactly the same about remainers like Andrew Adonis and Alistair Campbell.

And like Japan, they lost.

• Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

It really depends, if the EU ask, could the UK not stipulate the circumstances under which an extension will be granted?
    The only way we could accept an extension is if they say we will not be on the hook for any of the next EU budget (beyond regular contribs), or any eurozone bailouts, coronafunds, etc. And we won't accept any new EU laws in that time (like a sudden FTT).

If we want to take, we have to give. Something the Tories seem unable to appreciate.
    That cuts both ways. If the EU want to take us into an extension, they need to give us very favourable terms to do so. Otherwise why should we go along with what they want?

Before we get an extension, the question must be asked and answered: Why? What is the extension for?

Is it because we're making good progress on negotiating a long term solution but need more time to iron out the kinks?
    Or is it because we're no closer than when we started on even agreeing together where we even want to end up, so the extension is to avoid making tough decisions yet and just kicking the can down the road?

An extension for the former can be argued for, an extension for the latter is absurd. That seems to be what many want though.
    The only reason for the extension is to play for time to keep Britain in the EU.
    A lot of Brexiters are like those Japanese soldiers that are still fighting the last war. The only difference is that the former are only cut off from reality by their own stupidity lol.
    Nope, everyone lost. Brexit was a fuckwits' charter and the people who will lose the most will be not those that advocated it, but those who voted for it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:
    He could have been a dissenting voice, I suppose.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

You do know that many are trying to delay the actual day in a vain attempt that the longer the delay the more they hope we will end up remaining
    How can we remain when we have left?
    Play it long and change opinion to agree a deal that effectively leaves us in the EU with no say in the organisation and still paying in (BINO)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Spot on: they are positioning themselves for emergency negotiations in early 2021 and hint dropping at that time what it wouldn't be an emergency if the UK had taken the EU's suggestion now.

The UK literally doesn't have the infrastructure in place to cope with inspections on EU trade so if the UK Government isn't bluffing then they are about to unleash a disaster on the UK Economy.

For the EU the outcome is the same: a UK-EU trade deal along the parameters they have set out. It is either agreed now or later.
    Just to be clear I don't want the UK to extend; the sooner the learning process begins the better.

The UK requesting an extension wouldn't surprise me but I still don't see it happening based on the mouth-frothing idealogues who do the thinking for the government.

The EU changing the parameters they have set out? Even after all the ramping up we've seen so far it could happen but they would still expect movement from the UK government and the mouth-frothing idealogues in the government and who drive government behavour from without will not allow it.

The UK is going over the edge and there is no "good idea" to save it: enjoy the ride.
    Yep and Johnson knows it better than most. He just does not have the first clue as to what to do about it. Oh, fuck business! He certainly has!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763

Scott_xP said:

Goodness.
    More Or Less was worth listening to this morning. Seems SAGE took Ferguson's model as the main input, and other voices that had different results were, well, not ignored as such, but given less weight.

At the time his model had doubling at 5 or 6 days whereas it was in fact 3 days. That made all the difference to our lockdown being later than it should have been, if your plan was to lockdown and eventually suppress.
    To be fair to be Ferguson, he seems to have got the Infection Fatality Rate spot on at about 1%as evidenced by the many serology investigations of the past few weeks. So his model didn't underestimate the damage, unlike other models fashionably quoted here - eg Gupta. He seems to have underestimated the effect of lockdown interventions in the early days, although he corrected this later. That may have fed into the delay in lockdown, but ultimately it was a political decision, as it needs to be.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Trend looks good for Labour polling generally. Would be nice to see Labour in the lead. Will we see Tories start to panic if Starmer pulls ahead?

They shouldn't. But in their heart of hearts there must be more than a few Tory MPs who doubt whether Boris is up to the job.

Indeed so, but do those Tory MPs include Boris himself? If so, I can't see him staying in post for more than about another six months.
    You're in luck. Betfair has him at 99/1 to leave this month and 15/1 and 14.5/1 to leave between July - Sept and Oct - Dec respectively. Personally I'd lay at those prices.
    I just backed a bit more at 99s. I think BoJo will be like TMay. ie it's obvious they're not up to it and it's just a matter of time before they are found out. When will that be? Well with May it took two years and I have backed Boris to be out by Sep 2021. I really hope that he goes this month but can't quite see it.

Then again, he was struggling health-wise today at PMQs and, as I have said a zillion times on here, my view is that now is not the time to have a sub-par PM. But we shall see if he, his doctor, and his Party MPs agree.
    He clearly isn't 100%.
    Ironic really. He spent a lot of his pre-virus Premiership on holiday when he ought to have been working.

If the future of the country weren't at stake you'd have to feel sorry for him - worked so hard and for so long to become PM, gets it, begins to live the high life, and then gets struck down, literally, by the event that will likely dent significantly, if not ruin his premiership.

However, the future of the country is at stake, so, while wishing him a 100% recovery from the virus, fuck him. The sooner he leaves the better.
    That's quite fair. And I am a Boris fan, or at least a fan of Boris as was. It is a persona tragedy for him, but it is just the case: he has clearly been whacked by Covid, and that can take a long time to recover from (if you ever recover); I have close friends who have had it for months and are still very sick.

Who are, in the eyes of some here "unaffected" by Covid-19, and for whom "it's simply not a thing."
    As are the ones hospitalised or even in intensive care, assuming they recover.

If they don't turn up in the death column, they're unaffected. Like Boris. Or, more darkly, Derek Draper.

It's one thing that's potentially very dangerous (and is a meme spreading amongst younger men in particular): that if they aren't elderly, fat, or suffering from a major illness already, they are effectively all-but-immune to it already, it doesn't affect them, and it's really not a thing for them. And quoting the death statistics only.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    What's wrong with Burns? He never actually became a slave plantation overseer.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

You do know that many are trying to delay the actual day in a vain attempt that the longer the delay the more they hope we will end up remaining
    Play it long and change opinion to agree a deal that effectively leaves us in the EU with no say in the organisation and still paying in (BINO)
    When you say "change opinion" do you mean "elect a new government which has a policy of raprochment with its largest single trading partner"?

Because I wasn't aware that the Brexit referendum was designed to bind the hands of all future governments or indeed electorates. That would be very much out of character for the UK constitution.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh do stop being silly. Paranoid nonsense. Like it or not, we have left. Brexit enthusiasts and Johnson apologists will have to own the consequences, just like they should own the consequences of the shambolic response to the epidemic. Johnson is a chaotic rank amateur. His only positive is he isn't s bad as Corbyn, which is a very very low bar
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

eadric said:

He could have been a good Brexit premier, but this task requires patience, diligence, the tolerance of many boring little tasks, without much glory in the end for all your work.

That is the definition of Brexit.

Millions of changes in very specific minutiae for fuck all gain.
    You are the most boringly predictable poster on PB. It's an achievement of sorts.
    I thought that was you, hun.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,879
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520

eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

eadric said:

He could have been a good Brexit premier, but this task requires patience, diligence, the tolerance of many boring little tasks, without much glory in the end for all your work.

That is the definition of Brexit.

Millions of changes in very specific minutiae for fuck all gain.
    You are the most boringly predictable poster on PB. It's an achievement of sorts.
    I thought that was you, hun.
    Which one? - or do all the SeanTs move as one?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited June 2020

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:
    One of the reasons that Blair so comprehensively outmaneuvered Michael Howard to win a comfortable majority on a sliver of the popular vote was precisely because he took him very seriously. The day before his uncontested succession, Blair called a crisis meeting of his cabinet, and commented to a friendly journalist (who quoted him as 'an informed source') 'Howard is good. We need to up our game here if we want to see him off.'

And it is fair to say that while Howard helpfully messed up over the Hutton report, Blair's very focussed attacks on him and detailed work on his policies, plus a decision to make peace with Gordon Brown on terms that were, to put it mildly, politically disadvantageous, were a key part in the 2005 election victory.

By contrast Brown and May, who never took Cameron or Corbyn seriously, ended up being humiliated.

Who do I see in the current PM? The shrewd political operator who took a flawed but feisty and intelligent opponent seriously and won, or the hubristic ones who dismissed their opponents as useless lightweights, and lost?

Hmmm...tricky one.

Which is a long winded way of saying Barwell is right.
    I believe most of the battle for any Labour leader of the opposition.Is that voters can see that they can be PM.
    SKS fits that criteria as did Blair in 1994.
    My father a life long Conservative said to me that Starmer is impressive.
    I think the same, and was relieved that the Labour Party, and the country has a credible alternative .
    When Corbyn led the opposition I was in blind panic about what he might do if he ever got into power. Even worse than I am about what Johnson is actually doing while in power.

Even if I don't vote for Starmer, which I may or may not, if he becomes PM I will be happy that the country is in the hands of a man of obvious ability and (on first glance) personal integrity. That's entirely separate from what policies he may pursue. I don't suppose he and I would agree on all policy issues (in fact I know we don't) but I get no sense he's vicious or malicious.

I'll take that as a bloody good start.
    Agreed.
    I think Johnson utterly useless if judged on his response to the pandemic. Corbyn would probably have been worse.

Irrespective of the politics, I'd be happy if the country were in the hands of a leader displaying basic competence.
    I believe it a given that Corbyn would have been a rabbit in the headlights, incapable of making a decision, but that sounds familiar for students of the present incumbent.

At least Corbyn might have had the decency to turn up to a Cobra meeting or two, although he might have slept through them.
    Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn imo have one thing at least in common. They are both front men.

I don't mean this in the sense of (say) the non-instrument-playing lead singer in a band, a Jim Morrison or a Jarvis Cocker, strutting around and delivering the goods with energy and panache. Johnson is no Jim. Or certainly these days he isn't. And Corbyn was never by any stretch of the imagination a Cocker.

No.

I mean it in the less positive sense of them having virtually zero ability to manage a process of any length or complexity, or to grasp any concept or policy properly which requires either intellect (JC) or attention span (BJ).

I suspect this government is being run by two hyper-intense and driven dynamos who go way back - Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings - and that Johnson has become somebody to be "managed" and wheeled out occasionally, with fingers crossed he will not do too much damage.

"What to do about Boris?" is, I sense, a question gaining traction in the corridors of power.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh do stop being silly. Paranoid nonsense. Like it or not, we have left. Brexit enthusiasts and Johnson apologists will have to own the consequences, just like they should own the consequences of the shambolic response to the epidemic. Johnson is a chaotic rank amateur. His only positive is he isn't s bad as Corbyn, which is a very very low bar
    BINO is the aim for many and in those circumstances we may as well remain
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

The peak of the virus was at least 4 days before lockdown
    And all we really needed to do was introduce self-isolation, get everyone possible working from home, have public transport reduced by 75%+, close down cafes, pubs, and restaurants, close schools, close nighclubs, theatres, cinemas, and gyms, stop all public sports, and get everyone social-distancing by 2 metres+

(all the things enacted by then).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

ydoethur said:

By contrast Brown and May, who never took Cameron or Corbyn seriously, ended up being humiliated.

May being so humiliated that she remained PM for another two years?
    She didn't look as if she enjoyed those two years much.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Carnyx said:

He accepted the job, but in the end didn't actually go because the publication of his poems was instantly and unexpectedly successful. Phew, that's alright then.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

Scott_xP said:

Yep and Johnson knows it better than most. He just does not have the first clue as to what to do about it. Oh, fuck business! He certainly has!
    Surely Johnson has a clue about what to do; he'll lie. He'll bluster and insist that the EU changed their position. I wouldn't be surprised if some Cummings acolyte is, at this very moment doctoring that famous clip about throwing documents about trade between N.Ireland and the mainland in the bin.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

Goodness.

To be fair to be Ferguson, he seems to have got the Infection Fatality Rate spot on at about 1%as evidenced by the many serology investigations of the past few weeks. So his model didn't underestimate the damage, unlike other models fashionably quoted here - eg Gupta. He seems to have underestimated the effect of lockdown interventions in the early days, although he corrected this later. That may have fed into the delay in lockdown, but ultimately it was a political decision, as it needs to be.
    I agree that it was a political decision, but when SAGE says now is not the time to lockdown, what could the politicians realistically do?

The 1% estimate wasn't really relevant for the timing of lockdown. What was needed was the speed the infection was spreading, and that estimate was wrong.

I'm not claiming it was easy to get this right at the time, but it does explain what happened.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

The people get what they want matey - they got Brexit, the got Boris, if they vote for a government backing policies that look like BINO down the line they get that too.

Rational? Purposeful? Maybe not. Democratic though? Yes.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

When you say "change opinion" do you mean "elect a new government which has a policy of raprochment with its largest single trading partner"?

Because I wasn't aware that the Brexit referendum was designed to bind the hands of all future governments or indeed electorates. That would be very much out of character for the UK constitution.
    Of course a government elected on a mandate for closer relationship with the EU would be able to change the terms of the relationship but that is not where we are now
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,092
    I'm far from persuaded by @Eadric and @Peter_the_Punter 's admittedly fascinating theory that Bozza is not long for the PM's job.

I do take the points that he is a) poorly and b)hates dealing with the covid misery...

BUT

The corona recovery programme is tailor-made for a deficit-dove Keynesian like Bozza.

He’s a classic bread and circuses Tory, so will love giveaway governing.

Big spending recovery programmes are his wet dream.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Carnyx said:

He accepted the job, but in the end didn't actually go because the publication of his poems was instantly and unexpectedly successful. Phew, that's alright then.
    "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An' foolish notion"
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

And all we really needed to do was introduce self-isolation, get everyone possible working from home, have public transport reduced by 75%+, close down cafes, pubs, and restaurants, close schools, close nighclubs, theatres, cinemas, and gyms, stop all public sports, and get everyone social-distancing by 2 metres+

Exactly, which is why what Ferguson says is a bit odd.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited June 2020

Carnyx said:

Thanks - that's what I thought, too, so there must be some other reason which I couldn't discern from Mr Massie's twitter stuff. Maybe the thought of eating supper outdoor in an Ayrshire January? distancing when reciting Ode to a Haggis?
  • Options
    I don't understand the flak which Prof Ferguson is getting. Isn't he just saying that with hindsight the infection was more widespread in early March than they thought at the time?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020
    Daily reaper's toll: 245, rolling 7 day avg 200. As usual, lots of backdated, real figure for day probably 15%-25% lower.

Cases down to 1003. That's quite reassuring, lowest since lockdown, and no sign of anything other than a constant decline in new infections.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Just 1k new cases reported today. That figure is still coming down.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

Again, if the UK were to lay down terms for an extension which includes no part of the new budget etc... I'm sure a majority can be cobbled together for it.

No chance. It's an article of religious faith, nothing to do with new budgets or anything rational.
    It is an article of faith for a reason. Its remarkable that you still don't understand that.
    Of course I understand it. I was a member of the party as it descended into this madness.

But, irrespective of the reasons for the madness, the fact still remains that business and governments are not going to be even remotely ready for Jan 1st. There is no getting round this: to be ready in time, they first of all need to know - in excruciating detail - what the new arrangement are, that is say such boring things as the information required for each and every one of the zillions of new paper or electronic forms which will have to be filled in. Then they need to train up lots of customs agents (50,000 according the UK government), plus hundreds of thousands of internal staff. They (businesses and government) need to implement major new computer systems, and test them with full-scale trials. They also need to figure out how on earth a roll-on, roll-off terminal at Dover, currently set up for a continuous stream of lorries, can physically handle the delays with drivers waiting while the paperwork is sorted out. No-one seems to have an answer to that.

Even without Covid-19, all that would now be impossible to get done on time. With Covid-19, it's even worse.
    I would say with Covid19 its better. Companies are already adjusting procedures and the ports are quieter, so now is a time to adjust procedures to be both COVID-secure and post-transition ready.

But either way, if we what you want is certainty there's a simple way to do it - end of June say that negotiations aren't working and we're going to WTO terms and businesses have six months to get ready for that.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds good to me, but sadly, not going to happen. Bozo doesn't have the negotiating ability even if he wanted it. You can be reassured that we are heading for a full fat stupidity index 10, cliff edge crash out. It will possibly be like Black Wednesday on steroids, which when combined with the epidemic aftermath will be enough to put the Conservative Party on a course to being out of office for a generation, or more. Those of us of a centre right persuasion have to hope that the Labour party stays relatively moderate.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

May being so humiliated that she remained PM for another two years?
    I think you need to learn the difference between being ‘in power’ (before) and ‘in Office’ after.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Amesbury home of Novichok victim Charlie Rowley to be demolished.

https://twitter.com/itvwestcountry/status/1270740002796797952
  • Options
    Sky leading on the OECD saying there will be an over 11% decline in GDP this year, speaking as if that's worse than expected . . .

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bank of England predict around the start of lockdown that it would be a 15% decline followed by a 14% rise next year, or something like that?

If so, an 11% decline this year surely seems to be lower than the BoE was projecting, not higher than it?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited June 2020

Carnyx said:

An' foolish notion"
    They are going after people whose parents gained from slavery (Peel junior, Henry De la Beche) and youthful views that were modified are no defence (Gladstone) so cancelling an actual job on a slave plantation because you no longer need it must mean all Burns statues must go, surely?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    MaxPB said:

Considering the number of tests that have been happening that is a very low figure
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    ydoethur said:

I think you need to learn the difference between being ‘in power’ (before) and ‘in Office’ after.

Which one is BoZo right now?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    edited June 2020
    Cases data out https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk - another big fall to 1,003 confirmed cases

Remember this is reported, but not on.

England region cases, by date of specimen date -

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Exactly, which is why what Ferguson says is a bit odd.
    Not at all odd.

It’s classic blame shifting.

90% of people won’t know that the government did what he recommended.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

I don't understand the flak which Prof Ferguson is getting. Isn't he just saying that with hindsight the infection was more widespread in early March than they thought at the time?

On this, none from me; what he's saying is clearly true.

I guess the flack is because he was Mr. 'Herd Immunity' for a brief while, and his model wasn't up to snuff.
    And it isn't entirely hindsight to say that we ought to have locked down sooner.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds good to me, but sadly, not going to happen. Bozo doesn't have the negotiating ability even if he wanted it. You can be reassured that we are heading for a full fat stupidity index 10, cliff edge crash out. It will possibly be like Black Wednesday on steroids, which when combined with the epidemic aftermath will be enough to put the Conservative Party on a course to being out of office for a generation, or more. Those of us of a centre right persuasion have to hope that the Labour party stays relatively moderate.
    I find it really positive and reassuring that Remainers like yourself are increasingly pessimistic and resigned to it being a diamond hard Brexit. That is brilliant. When May was in negotiations everyone was assuring there was zero chance of that as the UK would never walk away (which was true under May) but now nobody seems to be saying that anymore.

That's exactly what we need Barnier to understand. The best possible chance of compromise is from people like Nigel here to be as resigned, miserable and downbeat as possible.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Totally O/t but my wife is in a Zoom call with a dozen of her friends and they're laughing about going to Barnard Castle and having eye tests.

It's not going away.

They're all retired teachers.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

I’m not sure whether he’s in the office or asleep, trying to recover from Starmer asking him a lot of impertinent questions.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

When really we should be striking out for the bullshit uplands.
  • Options

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Trend looks good for Labour polling generally. Would be nice to see Labour in the lead. Will we see Tories start to panic if Starmer pulls ahead?

They shouldn't. But in their heart of hearts there must be more than a few Tory MPs who doubt whether Boris is up to the job.

Indeed so, but do those Tory MPs include Boris himself? If so, I can't see him staying in post for more than about another six months.
    You're in luck. Betfair has him at 99/1 to leave this month and 15/1 and 14.5/1 to leave between July - Sept and Oct - Dec respectively. Personally I'd lay at those prices.
    I just backed a bit more at 99s. I think BoJo will be like TMay. ie it's obvious they're not up to it and it's just a matter of time before they are found out. When will that be? Well with May it took two years and I have backed Boris to be out by Sep 2021. I really hope that he goes this month but can't quite see it.

Then again, he was struggling health-wise today at PMQs and, as I have said a zillion times on here, my view is that now is not the time to have a sub-par PM. But we shall see if he, his doctor, and his Party MPs agree.
    He clearly isn't 100%.
    Ironic really. He spent a lot of his pre-virus Premiership on holiday when he ought to have been working.

If the future of the country weren't at stake you'd have to feel sorry for him - worked so hard and for so long to become PM, gets it, begins to live the high life, and then gets struck down, literally, by the event that will likely dent significantly, if not ruin his premiership.

However, the future of the country is at stake, so, while wishing him a 100% recovery from the virus, fuck him. The sooner he leaves the better.
    That's quite fair. And I am a Boris fan, or at least a fan of Boris as was. It is a persona tragedy for him, but it is just the case: he has clearly been whacked by Covid, and that can take a long time to recover from (if you ever recover); I have close friends who have had it for months and are still very sick.

Who are, in the eyes of some here "unaffected" by Covid-19, and for whom "it's simply not a thing."

If they don't turn up in the death column, they're unaffected. Like Boris. Or, more darkly, Derek Draper.

It's one thing that's potentially very dangerous (and is a meme spreading amongst younger men in particular): that if they aren't elderly, fat, or suffering from a major illness already, they are effectively all-but-immune to it already, it doesn't affect them, and it's really not a thing for them. And quoting the death statistics only.

If you are 30 years old, male, fit and healthy and with no co-morbidities, you would indeed be at low risk of hospitalisation though.

So the young men you cite are fairly good judges of risk I would say.

That is not to say that you can't find exceptions, merely that the risk from covid to those groups is somewhat lower than other risks we face in our daily lives.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,879

Carnyx said:

An' foolish notion"
    He practised houghmagandie.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite. Putting it off and off makes the less stable amongst us on the topic get ever more agitated and fearful of the outcome. It really is best just to do it, emerge blinking into the sun, check all our appendages are still present, and get on with it.

Well, it depends what you want.

If you want a negotiated settlement with the EU, them a short extension makes sense. Why? Because we will hopefully be further along with other negotiations. And the further on we are with other negotiations, the more leverage we have with the EU. Simply, in any negotiation, the better the alternatives look, the more power you have.

By contrast, no extension - and few alternative trading agreements - means that EU negotiators will probably think "Hmmm... they haven't even ratified a deal with Australia yet, they're going to fold on everything at the last minute."

Now, as it happens, I don't think we'll blink in the second scenario, and I think we'll leave the Single Market (we've left the EU already of course) without a deal. The question then becomes whether doing this reduces (or increases) our negotiating position with the EU, the US and other trading partners.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

Yes, I think his comments are reasonable. It's a statement of the obvious, with a rough estimate attached. Lock down two weeks earlier and deaths are lower still. Lock down with the first case in Britain the you can eliminate probably all deaths, certainly the vast majority. You do however destroy your economy and, applying similar logic, would also have done so for SARS, which was contained with contact tracing and a negligible economic hit.

There isn't a single optimum time to lock down. Even with hindsight, that depends on relative values of lives lost to COVID-19 and the economic effects (which will also shorten and reduce quality of some lives). At the time, it's an impossible call. We may find evidence emerges that the government were too slow to react to advice and could reasonably have been expected to implement the full lock down earlier, but Ferguson is not saying that and - you would think - he'd be one of the people who would know.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:
    When were the scientists advising lockdown? Were ministers supposed to say 'Fuck the science - we're locking down in February!'?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

Totally O/t but my wife is in a Zoom call with a dozen of her friends and they're laughing about going to Barnard Castle and having eye tests.

It's not going away.

The key word is teachers.. all left wing pretty much.. but sad to be still.talling about Cummings.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

It is though in character for the way that Brussells operates. Every single EU treaty that the UK signed up to was designed to bind the hands of all future governments and future electorates. And for the few countries which allow their people a say on treaties, the EU only accepts the results of referenda to endorse treaties when they produce the right result, otherwise it does everything in its power to get nations to run them again or put aside the results. In the case of Brexit its been about dragging out the process in the hope that at some point a government will give up the will to press ahead.
  • Options
    Threat of Military Action Rattles Brazil as Virus Deaths Surge
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/world/americas/bolsonaro-coup-coronavirus-brazil.html
    The threats are swirling around the president: Deaths from the virus in Brazil each day are now the highest in the world. Investors are fleeing the country. The president, his sons and his allies are under investigation. His election could even be overturned.

The crisis has grown so intense that some of the most powerful military figures in Brazil are warning of instability — sending shudders that they could take over and dismantle Latin America’s largest democracy.

But far from denouncing the idea, President Jair Bolsonaro’s inner circle seems to be clamoring for the military to step into the fray. In fact, one of the president’s sons, a congressman who has praised the country’s former military dictatorship, said a similar institutional break was inevitable....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

An' foolish notion"
    He practised houghmagandie.
    All that practice appeared to make him quite good at it.
  • Options

I would say with Covid19 its better. Companies are already adjusting procedures and the ports are quieter, so now is a time to adjust procedures to be both COVID-secure and post-transition ready.

But either way, if we what you want is certainty there's a simple way to do it - end of June say that negotiations aren't working and we're going to WTO terms and businesses have six months to get ready for that.

I'd have some sympathy for that view if the government were actually doing all the necessary preparatory work. But they are not. They are in denial about the scale of the administrative challenges.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530

MaxPB said:

Considering the number of tests that have been happening that is a very low figure
    For a while now, it's looked like we're getting pretty much all the symptomatic cases, which clearly wasn't happening a few months ago. That's definitely good news.

No question that the numbers are coming down, but the issues remain about the rate of decline and the slack to remove control measures and continue that decline.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    dr_spyn said:

It takes years to build a reputation and a couple of tweets to destroy it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8405899/Museum-curator-tweets-advice-destroy-bronze-statues-chemicals-BLM-protests.html

Doesn't look like a career enhancing move.

The fact she's American and is advocating chucking some corrosive substance (or whatever the hell it is) over statues of Churchill in Britain makes me *livid*. I mean really? Fuck off and go and live in the free state of Seattle or whatever it is. I must really be anti-immigrant. :neutral:
  • Options

It's not going away.

The key word is teachers.. all left wing pretty much.. but sad to be still.talling about Cummings.
    Teachers are not all left wing. In my school I would say there are two members of staff who are politically further left than I am. The rest are all quite right wing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

On this, none from me; what he's saying is clearly true.

I guess the flack is because he was Mr. 'Herd Immunity' for a brief while, and his model wasn't up to snuff.
    And it isn't entirely hindsight to say that we ought to have locked down sooner.
    Ferguson's track record shows he is a fantasist who likes to make up enormous numbers to attract attention and impress married women.

This is the latest example.

Every day its becoming clearer that Gupta was right and he was completely wrong.

The virus rose completely independently of anything the government did, peaked before lockdown could possibly have taken any effect, and is now fizzling out even as we leave lockdown.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Then Hancock is either a liar or a fool.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    When were the scientists advising lockdown? Were ministers supposed to say 'Fuck the science - we're locking down in February!'?
    So why is he lying about it now ?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

I find it really positive and reassuring that Remainers like yourself are increasingly pessimistic and resigned to it being a diamond hard Brexit. That is brilliant. When May was in negotiations everyone was assuring there was zero chance of that as the UK would never walk away (which was true under May) but now nobody seems to be saying that anymore.

That's exactly what we need Barnier to understand. The best possible chance of compromise is from people like Nigel here to be as resigned, miserable and downbeat as possible.
    Tee hee! Barnier doesn't care what I think or what you think: winning an 80 seat majority may strengthen Boris' parliamentary position but it changes nothing about the UK's bargaining position and that has been on show before and after the election.

"Diamond Hard Brexit"? how about "Cold Steel vein opening"? You can brand it any way you like chum and you can judge the mood of the occupants of the good ship Brexitannia any way you like it changes nothing.

When excrement and fan meet in January and the mood of the passangers changes it will be too late and all the better for it: as a society we may like a good talen show but our appetite for the actual consequences of our actual decisions is low and its time that changed for everyone's education.

Hopefully some of the cold brown matter will make its way back to the people who encouraged its flinging in the first place.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite. Putting it off and off makes the less stable amongst us on the topic get ever more agitated and fearful of the outcome. It really is best just to do it, emerge blinking into the sun, check all our appendages are still present, and get on with it.

If you want a negotiated settlement with the EU, them a short extension makes sense. Why? Because we will hopefully be further along with other negotiations. And the further on we are with other negotiations, the more leverage we have with the EU. Simply, in any negotiation, the better the alternatives look, the more power you have.

By contrast, no extension - and few alternative trading agreements - means that EU negotiators will probably think "Hmmm... they haven't even ratified a deal with Australia yet, they're going to fold on everything at the last minute."

Now, as it happens, I don't think we'll blink in the second scenario, and I think we'll leave the Single Market (we've left the EU already of course) without a deal. The question then becomes whether doing this reduces (or increases) our negotiating position with the EU, the US and other trading partners.
    I take the opposite view. I think if we go for a short extension that's the worst possible scenario since it achieves nothing in itself and simply will send the signal that during the short extension we'll request another short extension, rinse and repeat. It will be Theresa May redux.

The EU needs to look at us and think "these bastards are crazy enough they're going to walk away" and take the negotiations seriously.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's not going away.

Teachers are not all left wing. In my school I would say there are two members of staff who are politically further left than I am. The rest are all quite right wing.
    (Edit function not working)

Where you could have made a valid point is that teachers had to deal with Cummings from 2010 to 2014. This demonstrated to us that he’s (a) a pig ignorant stupid twat (b) a nasty bully (c) totally incompetent and therefore (d) we all hate him and find it incredibly funny that he’s trashed himself so epically.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    |All that does is underline the sheer rank stupidity of the government's 'follow the science' line, when its abundantly clear the science on this is all over the place.
  • Options

It's not going away.

Normally such a fruitful source of pro-Tory views too. I wonder which group of staunch supporters we'll alienate next - please not the TUC!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    A point I've been making for at least a couple of months now.
    Mistakes are inevitable - what is unforgivable is the refusal either to accept or learn from them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Lockdown breaker Ferguson seems to have escaped reputation unblemished from the kangaroo court
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Sean_F said:
    Oh dear. Royston really is a very mild and inoffensive sort of place (and the Museum is also pretty mild and inoffensive. Well, dull basically. And tiny.)

I would imagine that when the trustees hired Mrs Odent they were looking for a bit of excitement. Drag Queen Story Time (which would likely attract a lot more plaudits than brickbats round here in this day and age) might have been the sort of antidote to beigeness that they had in mind. Entreaties to go after historic monuments to national heroes, rather less so.

I'm also fascinated by her desire to "diversify and decolonise" the museum. Diversification is one thing (albeit that we're a small Hertfordshire market town and not exactly a metropolitan melting pot,) but decolonisation? Insofar as I can recall the town museum is some way distant from being a temple to the glorification of empire. And if she's looking for statues of controversial figures to be pulling down round this neck of the woods then there's not exactly a massive choice - unless she wants to dynamite the war memorial...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

That would however have given a higher death toll. I understand your comment to be that R<1 before the full lock down and so the outbreak was under control. But lock down will have reduced R by a greater amount, reducing the number infected (and thus the number dying) to the present day.

I accept it's arguable which is better, more short term deaths for a bit less economic damage (not if you or someone close is one who died, of course) but given the uproar over Ferguson's comments I don't think that approach would have gone down well.
  • Options

• Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    Things are looking awful for El Presidente.

* He can't control the supply of soldiers to protect the presidential palace. (Bad news for any "strong man" leader in any country.)
    * His defence minister disses him in public and he can't sack him. (Ouch.)
    * He's so stressed that he calls his poor poll showing "very unfair", adding "it is what it is". (Damned right!)
    * He can't hold his own party's national convention in the town he wanted to, because opposition politicians stopped him. (How bad can this get?)
    * He's had a big fence built around his palace.
    * Hurling his remaining marbles out the window, he claims an elderly police-beaten protestor (fortunately now out of the ICU) may have been part of a setup involving the use of an electronic weapon.
    * He's involved in litigation to try to keep his tax returns hidden.
    * He is attempting to have protestors classified as "terrorists".

Parallels? Not Janio Quadros - that would be an insult to Quadros. Manuel Noriega? Getulio Vargas? James Forrestal? I only hope for the sake of Trump's family and any friends he might have that he doesn't end up like the latter two.

How long until he accuses Antifa of being paid by China?

My betting book for WH2020: extremely green on all likely non-Trump Republican candidates; green on Biden and everybody else; exposed to a Trump victory (current price 2.37, fair price maybe 10).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Scott_xP said:

Stuck on repeat?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's not going away.

Where you could have made a valid point is that teachers had to deal with Cummings from 2010 to 2014. This demonstrated to us that he’s (a) a pig ignorant stupid twat (b) a nasty bully (c) totally incompetent and therefore (d) we all hate him and find it incredibly funny that he’s trashed himself so epically.
    My impression is that most teachers, like most professionals, just want a quiet life and a bit of autonomy.
  • Options

It's not going away.

Point is that sort of thing which sticks. And they go (went?) to all sorts of social gatherings with other retired people.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How Johnson can look like a loser on schools when the intransigence of militant trade unions is clearly to blame is beyond me.

But somehow, he's turned it into the government's fault.
  • Options

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

TOPPING said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

He clearly isn't 100%.

If you are 30 years old, male, fit and healthy and with no co-morbidities, you would indeed be at low risk of hospitalisation though.

So the young men you cite are fairly good judges of risk I would say.

That is not to say that you can't find exceptions, merely that the risk from covid to those groups is somewhat lower than other risks we face in our daily lives.
    The 'long haulers' tend to be relatively young and did not suffer severe disease; the long term effects, though, can be devastating:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

For now, I don't think we have much idea of the numbers involved. Or when they might recover.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020

Interesting split too: just 106 from hospitals for 0.6% positives rate, both by far the lowest we've seen.

877 from pillar 2, and that'll be a bit inflated lately due to the spike in mailed testing - they were being used for extra care home testing over the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

I’m not sure whether he’s in the office or asleep, trying to recover from Starmer asking him a lot of impertinent questions.
    Indeed.

"World Kings" shouldn't be troubled by oiks any day of the week. Especially on Wednesdays.
  • Options
    isam said:

Lockdown breaker Ferguson seems to have escaped reputation unblemished from the kangaroo court

He benefits enormously from having had much harsher treatment than worse offenders.

That, and the fact that the commentariat probably includes quite a few middle-aged men who like the idea of being able to bunk off to have an affair.
  • Options
    isam said:

Boffin' Boffin Bounces Back!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

I disagree. Usually - and in a commercial discussion - you’d be correct.

But given the tendency of opponent of Brexit to try to stop it, extension will be read as a signal that the U.K. can be rolled
  • Options

How Johnson can look like a loser on schools when the intransigence of militant trade unions is clearly to blame is beyond me.

But somehow, he's turned it into the government's fault.

BoZo reaches the parts other tories can't...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think that is a false dichotomy.

He could be both.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Stuck on repeat?
    Johnson ?
    Perhaps.
  • Options

isam said:

Boffin' Boffin Bounces Back!
    Should that be Bonking Boffin Bounces Back?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It's not going away.

All my wife's friends retired before 2004. Boris (and Cummings) have disgusted them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think that is a false dichotomy.

He could be both.
    I err on the side of generosity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

We disagree fundamentally on the need for special trade deals beyond those which allow us to export and import goods and services as a third country. I find the differences they make marginal, and I think they are a distraction. Had I been in Theresa May's shoes, I'd have proposed a five year moratorium on entering any new trade deals, as a cooling off period. It would have killed the issue and focused minds on the more important task of doing business successfully as a independent trading nation.