Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Other 2020 US Elections – the Democratic party fight to ta

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

Didn’t notice this from a couple of days back.

'Abandoned' care homes warn councils of legal action
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/06/abandoned-care-homes-warn-councils-legal-action/
    ... Care home managers have questioned whether local authorities should face corporate manslaughter charges over their response to coronavirus.

Councils have been accused of failing to hand over extra funds from the Government, leading one manager to accuse local authorities of “sitting on your hands, watching people die”.

The Government has given councils an extra £3.2 billion to cover the costs of coronavirus and last week told them to spend up to 10 per cent more on social care.

However, some are only offering five per cent, while it is understood others are yet to have promised anything at all....

Disgusting!
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,959
    Increase the age of the person in that cartoon by about 30 or 40 years and you might have a point. Number of people who have died under 45: 330 (in the UK, according to ONS).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Very fair. It's quite possible to say "The government of Country X is cr*p, but Country X is great":

WASHINGTON - China and the United States remain at loggerheads over the origin of the Covid-19 coronavirus, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo doubling down on allegations that the virus came out of a Level 4, high-security bio lab in Wuhan, and China covered it up and lost the world precious time.

But the administration is being careful to take aim at the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), not China in general.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/china-us-standoff-over-origin-of-covid-19-deepens

Any other examples of "X" spring to mind, Secretary Pompeo?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited May 2020
    Cyclefree said:

At the risk of having a bucketload of sh*t metaphorically hurled at me, I am utterly sick of VE Day and all the toe-curling “we’ll meet again/heroes/never forget” nonsense again. We have Remembrance Day to remember the dead.

We can’t be bothered to look properly after old people in care homes while we sentimentalise people who died years ago.

Hell, we can’t even remember the war properly. Britain was not alone. Look at all the Polish names on the memorials to Battle of Britain, for instance. Instead, shamefully, we refused to let Poles march in the victory parade in 1945 preferring to appease their new oppressor, Stalin, instead. Churchill even refused to mention in his end of the war speech all those bomber pilots who lost their lives bombing Germany and for a time that was pretty much what the British war effort amounted to.

And now their sacrifices are being used as part of an “I’m more patriotic/British than you” act. Bah, humbug!

Honour the dead. Understand history properly. But let’s stop being trapped in our 1940’s history. It is history not the prism through which every bloody policy decision now should be seen or filtered.

I don't really like overt communal displays with a slight political tone - This includes clapping for NHS , VE day stuff or indeed singing anthems at sport events. Its not whatever issue is the order of the day its the artificial nature of it all mixed in with virtue signalling and sometimes a bit of superiority group complex.

I was at the Ashes a few years back and mistakenly thought cricket too civilised and gentle to go in for anthems but exclaimed FFS when before the start of play we were asked to stand and sing the anthem
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kyf_100 said:

Increase the age of the person in that cartoon by about 30 or 40 years and you might have a point. Number of people who have died under 45: 330 (in the UK, according to ONS).
    Agreed.

Total bullsh7t
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited May 2020
    What's everyone reading during lockdown ? I am not a great fiction reader but read some non fiction in the last 7 weeks including

The Games - David Goldblatt (history of the Olympics)
    The Crucibles greatest matches -Hector Nunns (I love snooker and any "pub" game)
    Who dares wins -Dominic Sandbrook (Britain 1979-1982)
    The medal factory - About British Cycling and its recent triumphs and tribulations.
    A better betting with a decent fellow - A social history of Bookmaking
    A short history of Europe - Simon Jenkins
    A short history of London -Simon Jenkins
    Ghosts at the table - a history of poker
    Airhead -Emily Maitliss

Quite proud of myself even if all on my sort of hobbies!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Away, I always have a book by my computer, usually one I've already read, that I can delve into when doing scans or waiting for something. I'm about 5/6 into Journey to the West right now.

Also halfway through the third of Phil Tucker's Chronicles of the Black Gate, a fantasy series I'm really rather enjoying.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

I use Fahrenheit for measuring temperature to check someone's ill. I know 98 is normal and 100+ is ill.

I don't use it for understanding temperature "outside" though. Celsius makes much more sense for that.

Reminds me of an incident on the Today programme when a correspondent in Siberia was reporting on a cold snap. "It's minus forty here," he gushed. "Centigrade or Fahrenheit?" enquired the presenter (probably Brian Redhead or maybe Jack De Manio). "Dunno" came the reply.
    The correct answer would have been “yes”.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    kyf_100 said:

I'm 45 later this year.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited May 2020
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8300257/Shocking-moment-police-Taser-father-screaming-child-petrol-station.html?ito=push-notification&ci=14701&si=7627063

'The vehicle was stopped and the driver, Desmond Ziggy Mombeyarara, 34, of Cornbrook Park Road, Old Trafford, was arrested and subsequently charged with two counts of resisting a constable in the execution of their duty, one count of driving at excess speed, one count of not having vehicle insurance, one count of being unfit to drive through drink, one count of failing without reasonable excuse to co-operate with a preliminary test, one count of failing to stop when required to do so, and one count of unnecessary travel.

"Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article."

I bet they aren't , I expect most would be well in favour of the police.

Edit: Spat in the face of the arresting officer too, really boils my piss anyone doing that.
This discussion has been closed.