Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pandemic costs: Who bears the risk?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920

Not sure how to do a DM, but thanks very much to @eek for his tips on the last thread. I've checked whether I had Norton installed (really not, though I used to have Norton virus protection), then reset the browser settings as you suggested, then had a look at Paypal and lo and behold, the warning message has vanished.

Glad you got it sorted!
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:
    Hardly anyone visits Belarus. I bet even Eadric hasn't been there.
    Maybe that’s why Eastern Europe is barely affected.
    Well it doesn't explain why Prague isn't affected unless they don't get many visitors in Jan/Feb/March,
    My guess is that a large part of how badly you are affected is the existence of super-spreader events.

You know, things like beer pong. Or elevators in apartment complexes that don't get cleaned and have hundreds of residents going through them.

If you have a few of these super spreader events, then you get hammered because early on in the process one person gives fifty people the disease and now you have fifty disease vectors.

That's what happened in Milan and New York. And it's something that's very unlikely in cities without lots of dense public transport or high rise apartment blocks. It's why Munich was barely touched, while New York was hammered.

Some of Eastern Europe has big apartment complexes. But most of them are fairly low rise, and rely on people using - you know - the stairs. Plus the (relatively) old people that live in them don't tend to play beer pong that often.
    The German academic who has been conducting antibody testing research, said that 40% of those who attended Carnival event got infected. Luckily, they were all very young.

Where as in the Austrian ski resort, the bar tender who appears to have been a super spreader came into contact with many more middle aged people.
    What makes you think all the people infected at the carnival event were very young? I certainly haven't seen that reported.

I did read reports of people in 70s who attended the event subsequently dying.

This kind of carnival event in my experience is not a youth thing at all, it's a whole range of ages. Maybe not many over 80s if it's going late into the night.

I would be very surprised if the age of people going on a skiing holiday wasn't younger than the people at that carnival event.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920
    eadric said:

eadric said:
    That very article says that Chernobyl is in Ukraine but that the radiation spread to Belarus.

That's like saying if there was a nuclear incident in Calais which irradiated parts of Kent that Calais is in England.
    Yes, exactly.
    Maybe there's a road to Chernobyl around the Cape of Good Hope, avoiding the Straits of Hormuz, so you end up in Belarus?
    I can heartily recommend a trip to the Belarusian sector of Chernobyl. It’s much less ‘touristy’ than the Ukrainian side. Indeed there are hardly any tourists at all. So you are free to pick up interesting pieces of graphite, stray metal rods, etc, as souvenirs
    LOL, you're free to pick up pieces of metal from Chernobyl if you want to win a Darwin Award - not that you won't have an awful lot of competition this year.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,071

This discussion has been closed.