Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Link 30 may give you the horn
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Broken, sleazy, selfies on the slide! :(
  • Options
    FPT: Good evening, everyone.

Just seen that we (and the US) have suspended aid to the FSA (Free Syrian Army) after a new alliance of Islamist rebel groups seized numerous FSA bases.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25331241

Mr. Eagles, without clicking I think I know what Link 30 contains. Not sure it's as good as Christopher Walken reading a children's story, though.
  • Options

FPT: Good evening, everyone.

Just seen that we (and the US) have suspended aid to the FSA (Free Syrian Army) after a new alliance of Islamist rebel groups seized numerous FSA bases.

Mr. Eagles, without clicking I think I know what Link 30 contains. Not sure it's as good as Christopher Walken reading a children's story, though.

Nah, it's better than that, nearly as good as this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDQ93iguP8
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited December 2013
    Oh, and I'd already seen the amusing Lotus F1 rules :)

Although bored of Vettel victories, this did raise a smile:

twitter.com/RacingHumour/status/410500752956993536
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't realise the Twitter link would automatically put the picture up.

Mr. Eagles, cheers for the Youtube link, that was very good.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited December 2013
    Thought this was quite interesting FPT
    AndyJS said:

YouGov — Labour leads, 1st to 11th December 2012:

13%, 12%, 14%, 12%, 10%, 9%, 9%, 12%.

Average: 11.4%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2012

YouGov — Labour leads, 1st to 11th December 2013:

6%, 8%, 6%, 12%, 5%, 5%, 5%

Average: 6.7%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2013

This is one halving of a lead Tim isn't so keen to talk about. ;)
  • Options
    The Indian Supreme Court upholds a law which criminalises gay sex after hearing from, inter alia, a TV astrologer who told the court the ruling “compromises national defence since soldiers will start having sex with each other”.

That doesn't read right. It should say:

The Indian Supreme Court upholds a law which criminalises gay sex after hearing from, inter alia, a TV astrologer who told the court a 2009 ruling which repealed the law “compromises national defence since soldiers will start having sex with each other”.
  • Options

The Indian Supreme Court upholds a law which criminalises gay sex after hearing from, inter alia, a TV astrologer who told the court the ruling “compromises national defence since soldiers will start having sex with each other”.

The Indian Supreme Court upholds a law which criminalises gay sex after hearing from, inter alia, a TV astrologer who told the court a 2009 ruling which repealed the law “compromises national defence since soldiers will start having sex with each other”.

You pedant.

Fixed
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Nothing beats Walken dancing to 'Weapon of Choice'.

Blimey I'm shattered but I feel I should stay up for Newsnight. Lucan looks good on ITV but I'm too tired to focus on it properly.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    GIN1138 said:

On the other hand, compare with March 2012 and you find the lead's gone up from minus 1...

• Options

GIN1138 said:

On the other hand, compare with March 2012 and you find the lead's gone up from minus 1...

I really do need to finish this "Does swingback actually occur" piece I've been writing for the last week.
  • Options
    Miss Carola, Weapon of Choice is probably my favourite music video.

Anything special expected on Newsnight?
  • Options

You pedant.

Fixed
    Thanks TSE!
  • Options
    Scientology is a religion shock. The more you pay the closer you get to Ron and his Lizards. On that basis I'll start a new Rochdology religion. The more you pay me the further I will allow you to live away from Rochdale (for example I live in Stockton.....)

Should be quite lucrative!
  • Options

Scientology is a religion shock. The more you pay the closer you get to Ron and his Lizards. On that basis I'll start a new Rochdology religion. The more you pay me the further I will allow you to live away from Rochdale (for example I live in Stockton.....)

We should have a Politicalbettingology faith.
  • Options
    IIRC, Weapon of Choice was actually the B-side to Fatboy Slim's single at the time of release (2001).
  • Options

"I testify that there is no god but Mike Smithson and I testify that TSE is the messenger of God"

Christ, that's going to get me a fatwa.
  • Options

"I testify that there is no god but Mike Smithson and I testify that TSE is the messenger of God"

NO, a thin-wa :)
  • Options

Miss Carola, Weapon of Choice is probably my favourite music video.

Anything special expected on Newsnight?

Wilshaw and a behaviour fella. According to a Newsnight tweet Wilshaw's going to say that many of us should be sacked.

Tbh I just find everything about teaching funny now. I'm quitting for a while - or for good, probably - next year anyway... exact timing depending on when they take all this metal out of my collarbone/shoulder. Hard to live out of a rucksack when you can't carry it ;)
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, stab in the dark, but was it Praise You? [Fitting, if so].
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Barca and Celtic fans must both be screaming 'NEY-MAR GOALS!!!'
  • Options
    Miss Carola, I hope your de-metallisation goes well, and also your career plans.
  • Options

Miss Carola, I hope your de-metallisation goes well, and also your career plans.

Cheers. It's going to be at least another 6 months they reckon. Then I have to wait for 24 screw holes to heal up :)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    From the last thread:

Back on topic, I would be astonished if the LibDem manifesto looked anything like the Tories. Yes the yellows will campaign in the positives they want to take from the coalition. But their policy platform has to be different, and going off the outrage amongst their grass routes on Clegg signing onto Austerity (and Carton not!) the party wouldn't let him. Especially with an eye on a Lab-LS coalition option.

Anyway, I struggle with why anyone who isn't a party member would vote LibDem in the general election. If you support the government vote Tory. You want to throw it out vote Labour. Want to vote them all out vote UKIP. The LibDems are a duplicate of several of those options defending on the seat in question.

Agree with the last bit. This is why I think a lot of people are grossly overestimating the Lib Dems' prospects at the next election (I personally think they'll perform roughly at the level they're currently polling at, or possibly even a bit worse).

Just what is their USP going to be?

The Tories' USP will be be "cracking down" on welfare and being the party of "budget discipline".

Labour's USP will be the party of the NHS and tackling the cost of living crisis.

UKIP's USP will be cracking down on immigration and being rude to Europeans.

Those USPs are all set in stone and there's nothing any of the parties can do to change them (no matter how much posturing the Tories do on immigration and Europe, or posturing Labour do to show they're "fiscally responsible"), all the parties can do is try to convince the public that their favourite issues are the biggest issues for the country right now. But what on earth are going to be the Lib Dems' distinctive issues? In fact, Nick Clegg is trying to make a virtue of NOT having any distinctive issues with his pitch that he would just split the difference between the Tories and Labour and water down their programmes a bit, which might seem tactically clever on one level, but, in the sound and fury of an election campaign, it will probably mean they just get lost in the shuffle if they don't have anything distinctive and attention-catching to say.
  • Options
    isam said:

You can't say Scottish footie fans aren't quick with their rebuttals.

http://tinyurl.com/peqce3m

• Options
    What chance a certain Mr. Bale returning to play in the Champs League vs Arsenal next.....

Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

isam said:

You might have to explain why that picture is funny to Antifrank and other Norwich fans
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    tim said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2013

And it's up on three months ago, what does that tell you?

Barely.

Still struggling on? turn to the blue side, you know it's the only way.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DJack_Journo: Brilliant @BrookesTimes cartoon on the sign-language interpreter @edballsmp http://t.co/nTChHnagEZ
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Steady as she goes ! It;s Labour all the way.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 59s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead at 6:

CON 33%, LAB 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited December 2013

isam said:

You might have to explain why that picture is funny to Antifrank and other Norwich fans
    I think Antifrank would be more horrified to be compared to Rangers fans than the 6th digit thing.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I really do need to finish this "Does swingback actually occur" piece I've been writing for the last week.
    Swingback to the Lib Dems ? What was that Kylie song again ?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Lead up to 6 Crossover must be close

By Christmas

• Options

Yet just two months back we were going to bomb Syria to bring them to power.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: RT @GroomB: Heathrow boosted as Ed Miliband drops opposition to new runway. @PickardJE @GeorgeWParker @andrewparker67 http://on.ft.com/1e5ThhU
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889

I look at each poll and compare how the Conservative plus UKIP numbers stack up. For example, YouGov is showing 46% while ICM showed 41% and Populus 40%.

Bearing in mind an earlier comment by the Prime Minister, I cut the UKIP figure to 5% and re-allocate the balance to the Conservatives as their theoretical maximum vote. With YouGov it's 41%, ICM shows 36% and Populus 35% so that's a big difference between pollsters.

Looking at the Lab+LD numbers - YouGov has 48%, ICM 49% and Populus 52%.

Just a bit of fun...

• Options
    @DAaronovitch: When Scotland is independent Celtic will usually win against Barcelona. True. #indyref
  • Options

isam said:

A high six!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: RT @GroomB: Heathrow boosted as Ed Miliband drops opposition to new runway. @PickardJE @GeorgeWParker @andrewparker67 http://on.ft.com/1e5ThhU

Brilliant ! I was hoping for this. Good for business, good for jobs !!
  • Options

That's an nice integrated British oath!

Surging soaraway Labour, eh?

FWIW, my prediction a week ago was that the Tories would have a little bounce and it would subside and we'd back at a lead of 7ish. I'll add a further prediction: after some minor variation, it'll still be about the same in March.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DJack_Journo: Brilliant @BrookesTimes cartoon on the sign-language interpreter @edballsmp http://t.co/nTChHnagEZ

Brilliant.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

People keep on telling me I'm the model of integration.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2013
    Does Ed Balls usually play the part of Santa Claus in the HoC?

twitter.com/pamela_nash/status/410819124521357312
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Scott_P said:

Remember,Miliband was willing to resign from Brown`s cabinet to stop 3rd runway.

So quite a victory for Balls there.And people think he`s going to be sacked.

I wouldn`t be surprised if HS2 is dumped in April too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Vote shares, not leads people !

A poll of CON 29, LAB 35 would be far more interesting. Labour share still looks solid on ~39% to me. COn defo moved up a touch too.

Commies, pinkos and bleeding hearts: 48%
    Facists, fox hunters and bring back the cane brigade: 46%
    Bravehearts, greenies and various other loons: 6%
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Scott_P said:

Remember,Miliband was willing to resign from Brown`s cabinet to stop 3rd runway.

Ho, ho. The FT story merely quotes a mysterious 'Miliband aide'. We'll be getting a clarification before long stating how Ed is still implacably opposed. This sort of thing happens all the time with Ed.
  • Options

YouGov/The Sunil:

Progressives 48%
    Tory/UKIP 46%
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Good evening friends.

Blotto yet again - such is December in London.

YouGov - yet another poll bouncing around the 32/39 MOE.

There is nothing happening out there. Zero. Nilch.

@NickP

You may well be right.
  • Options
    On another note, anyone remember Grangekirk?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Danny565 said:

Just what is their [the LibDems'] USP going to be?

This is going to sound flippant, but it isn't, honest - I'm making a serious point.

The USP will be much the same as it was last time: Vote for us if you don't want to decide.

It will appeal to quite a large number of voters.

• Options
  • Options
    Shame The Arsenal finished 2nd as now, when we win the whole kaboodle, Spurs fans will say it doesn't count because we didn't win the group
  • Options

Scientology fully deserves to be a religion. Let's face it - the qualification criteria are pretty straightforward. You simply have to prove that people believe in it. On that basis Scientology should be in.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

This is going to sound flippant, but it isn't, honest - I'm making a serious point.

The USP will be much the same as it was last time: Vote for us if you don't want to decide.

I think it will be more nuanced than that.

Lib Dems: Restraining both Labour and Tory excess
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Early 80s classic — Chaka Khan with "Fate". Anyone recognise bits of the intro which were sampled for another famous track from 1998?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQdCRQd3yg
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited December 2013
    Syria

The suspension of non lethal aid to rebels in the Northern part of Syria is not what it seems.

For a start it mentioned Northern Syria, it fails to mention the southern area adjacent to Jordan. Covert support continues there, largely in the form of training.

Anyone wonder what that British chopper grounded in the West Bank was doing?

Secondly the aid up North was fraction of that that went in South, the Turkish border front has basically been the king of hokey cokeys for Western governments who have made the in-out dance a speciality when it comes to Syria. The value in terms of Western supplied warfighting kit going in that direction hasn't been big, ever and the tap has been turned on and off multiple times.

In truth there is an understanding that the North will be left to itself. Western aims are now to set up a buffer down south and ultimately set a path to Damascus if needed.

The reality of the matter is that the Islamic Front is not Al Qaeda or otherwise affiliated, it is more conservative in its format and has a fair variation it its groupings. It is by a fraction the largest singular front (because a single group it isn't) in terms of numbers c90-100k claimed. The FSA follows at around 70-80k depending on who you talk to, then follows the full on extremist groups that are fond of the publicity videos. There is also some question of whether one of the most extreme factions, ISIS, was actually in some of kind of informal partnership with Assad's regime, so much so their erstwhile sponsor, the Al Qaeda head honcho Al Zawahiri, basically said it should dissolve.

Two years ago these extremists were a mere tithe of the insurgency. The West has partially been responsible for encouraging their growth by its indecisiveness. The Islamists have got more kit ands cash. If you are in a life and death struggle and one group has the kit and cash to fight most effectively, who would you join?

For those that suggest that Western airstrikes that were averted back in August/September were going to bring the insurgents to power, they are kidding themselves. They would have hurt Assad but they wouldn't have finished him.
  • Options
    As much as I love Christopher Eccleston, what was the casting director smoking when they cast him as the near aristo John Aspinall?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Early 80s classic — Chaka Khan with "Fate". Anyone recognise bits of the intro which were sampled for another famous track from 1998?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQdCRQd3yg

Music sounds Better with you?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    PPP Michigan 2016

•Rand Paul 18% (18%)
    •Chris Christie 16% (15%)
    •Ted Cruz 15% (7%)
    •Jeb Bush 10% (16%)
    •Marco Rubio 8% (11%)
    •Paul Ryan 7% (12%)
    •Scott Walker 5%
    •Bobby Jindal 4% (4%)
    •Rick Santorum 2% (6%)
    •Someone else/Not sure 14% (10%)
  • Options
    Monmouth New Jersey 2016

•Chris Christie (R) 46%
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 43%
    •Chris Christie (R) 52%
    •Andrew Cuomo (D) 33%
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Anyone remember Blanchflower?
  • Options
    McClatchey Marist Democratic nomination 2016

•Hillary Clinton 65% (63%)
    •Joe Biden 12% (13%)
    •Elizabeth Warren 9%
    •Andrew Cuomo 3% (6%)
    •Martin O’Malley 1% (1%)
    •Undecided 9% (18%)

If Hillary Clinton does not run:
    •Joe Biden 45%
    •Elizabeth Warren 25%
    •Andrew Cuomo 11%
    •Martin O’Malley 4%

Republican nomination

•Chris Christie 18% (15%)
    •Rand Paul 12% (9%)
    •Paul Ryan 11% (13%)
    •Ted Cruz 10% (7%)
    •Jeb Bush 10% (10%)
    •Sarah Palin 8%
    •Marco Rubio 7% (12%)
    •Scott Walker 4% (2%)
    •Rick Santorum 4% (2%)
    •Rick Perry 3% (4%)
    •Undecided 13% (25%)
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Scott_P said:

Ho, ho. The FT story merely quotes a mysterious 'Miliband aide'. We'll be getting a clarification before long stating how Ed is still implacably opposed. This sort of thing happens all the time with Ed.
    No chance. Miliband, the man who supports British business. Let's see what the Tories respond with.
  • Options
    McClatchey Marist 2016 national general election

•Hillary Clinton (D) 48% [47%] (46%)
    •Chris Christie (R) 45% [41%] (43%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 52% [50%] (52%)
    •Marco Rubio (R) 42% [38%] (40%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 53% [48%] (54%)
    •Jeb Bush (R) 41% [40%] (38%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 55% [50%] (52%)
    •Rand Paul (R) 40% [38%] (41%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 56% [53%]
    •Paul Ryan (R) 40% [37%]

•Hillary Clinton (D) 58% [52%]
    •Rick Perry (R) 37% [36%]

•Hillary Clinton (D) 57%
    •Ted Cruz (R) 35%

•Hillary Clinton (D) 59%
    •Sarah Palin (R) 36%
  • Options

FWIW, my prediction a week ago was that the Tories would have a little bounce and it would subside and we'd back at a lead of 7ish. I'll add a further prediction: after some minor variation, it'll still be about the same in March.
    What about next March?
  • Options

As much as I love Christopher Eccleston, what was the casting director smoking when they cast him as the near aristo John Aspinall?

Agree, he wasn't convincing at all. Kinnear good, but I'm a fan of his anyway. On stage particularly.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Again though, I just don't know how well that's going to stand up in an election campaign. What's he going to say in the debates? Miliband will essentially be saying we'll all be richer if we bash the super-rich and big businesses and split the rewards among everyone else, while Cameron will essentially be saying we'll all be richer if we bash the immigrants and benefit-claimants and split the rewards among everyone else. Clegg's just going to be left saying "well, uh, I agree with you both a bit, but, uh, not as much, uh..." I really just don't think that's going to cut it.

Plus, even worse than just getting drowned out, the Lib Dems run the risk of just being seen as completely devoid of principles (if the quip that "Nick Clegg's only policy is that Nick Clegg should stay deputy prime minister" gains traction then that will be awful for them). That's another flaw of them being "equidistant" from the Tories and Labour, and I think most LIbDem voters (regardless of whether they sympathise more with the Tories or Labour) will be wholly unsatisfied by being told they should just go and troop in and vote LibDem again without being given any idea of what type of government their vote will be used to support.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Agree, he wasn't convincing at all. Kinnear good, but I'm a fan of his anyway. On stage particularly.
    Rory is a legend on both film, stage and TV.

Though I'll never forget him shagging a pig on live tv.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Again though, I just don't know how well that's going to stand up in an election campaign. What's he going to say in the debates? Miliband will essentially be saying we'll all be richer if we bash the super-rich and big businesses and split the rewards among everyone else, while Cameron will essentially be saying we'll all be richer if we bash the immigrants and benefit-claimants and split the rewards among everyone else. Clegg's just going to be left saying "well, uh, I agree with you both a bit, but, uh, not as much, uh..." I really just don't think that's going to cut it.

Plus, even worse than just getting drowned out, the Lib Dems run the risk of just being seen as completely devoid of principles (if the quip that "Nick Clegg's only policy is that Nick Clegg should stay deputy prime minister" gains traction then that will be awful for them). That's another flaw of them being "equidistant" from the Tories and Labour, and I think most LIbDem voters (regardless of whether they sympathise more with the Tories or Labour) will be wholly unsatisfied by being told they should just go and troop in and vote LibDem again without being given any idea of what type of government their vote will be used to support.
    I think it depends on how the next general election is framed

If it is all about "Don't let Labour ruin it again" then it will benefit the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Isnt the Labour u-u-turn on Heathrow over 12 months early? How many more u-u-turns are in them?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Bobajob said:

Scientology fully deserves to be a religion. Let's face it - the qualification criteria are pretty straightforward. You simply have to prove that people believe in it. On that basis Scientology should be in.
    I am sure it is just me but the idea of trying to distinguish between loony religions and, ehh, some other category, is really quite mad. None of them are rational. So how can you exclude any? I don't see that the Supreme Court had any other choice.

• Options
    Neil said:

Isnt the Labour u-u-turn on Heathrow over 12 months early? How many more u-u-turns are in them?

Depends on what Len thinks surely?
  • Options

Neil said:

Depends on what Len thinks surely?
    You can accuse Labour of many things but adherence to their party-conference-determined policies isnt one of them.
  • Options
    And below we see a run of polls that indicates why Chris Christie is the man the GOP should and likely will pick, if he runs for the nomination.
  • Options

What about next March?
    March 2015? Or indeed May 2015? Tighter but Labour still ahead - say 34/37/11/11. Your guess?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

Bobajob said:

Anyone remember Blanchflower?
    The man is a comedy genius. Who could forget his punchlines?

5M unemployed!!

The economy will shrink in 2013.

There will be no growth until the government changes policy.

Just hilarious.

• Options
    edited December 2013

What about next March?
    March 2015? Or indeed May 2015? Tighter but Labour still ahead - say 34/37/11/11. Your guess?

If the Tories are 2-3 points down in March they should fancy themselves to overhaul Labour in the popular vote come election day, providing they get the artillery out. In all honesty, Miliband doesn't have 'it' or at least shows no ultimate indication of it yet. If he doesn't when minds are focussed on election time it will tell on Labour's final figure.
  • Options

What about next March?

Tighter as you say, my guess:

Lab 36 Con 32 LD 11 UKIP 13
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013
    surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

Scott_P said:

No chance. Miliband, the man who supports British business.
    So not the Spanish, Qatari, Canadian and Chinese owned Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd?

We could go further into how this business ended up falling out of British hands, but it does involve Gordon Brown and his attack on the pension funds so is perhaps best avoided.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

What about next March?

I would go for Lab 33, Con 31, Ukip 15, LD 14

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

Scott_P said:

No chance. Miliband, the man who supports British business.
    So not the Spanish, Qatari, Canadian and Chinese owned Heathrow Airport Holdings Ltd?

We could go further into how this business ended up falling out of British hands, but it does involve Gordon Brown and his attack on the pension funds so is perhaps best avoided.

Does it matter who owns the shares, so long as it provides efficient and safe air transport services?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

I am sure it is just me but the idea of trying to distinguish between loony religions and, ehh, some other category, is really quite mad. None of them are rational. So how can you exclude any? I don't see that the Supreme Court had any other choice.

Well exactly. "Celebrities are all aliens" and "man walks on water". It's a open question as to which is more plausible.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

If the Tories are 2-3 points down in March they should fancy themselves to overhaul Labour in the popular vote come election day, providing they get the artillery out. In all honesty, Miliband doesn't have 'it' or at least shows no ultimate indication of it yet. If he doesn't when minds are focussed on election time it will tell on Labour's final figure.

My prediction was for May 2013 (i.e. the result). But election campaigns don't do much, as a rule - we always think they will and the polls gyrate, but in the end the huge efforts all round tend to cancel out. The main uncertainty IMO is UKIP - all the other parties have pretty stable support, though I accept AndyJS's point that he makes now and then that the frothy lead that we had last year has gone. Since a lot of UKIP's support are otherwise non-voters, I'm not sure it will make much difference to the outcome, though it will certainly affect the atmosphere if they do well.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013

Don't hold me to this, but I pretty much agree with your numbers, although I'd perm them around a bit:

Con 36, Lab 32, LD 13, UKIP 11

UKIP might well be lower and the LibDems higher. I'd be fairly surprised if my Con/Lab figures were miles out, but politics is full of surprises...
  • Options

Y0kel said:

My prediction was for May 2013 (i.e. the result). But election campaigns don't do much, as a rule - we always think they will and the polls gyrate, but in the end the huge efforts all round tend to cancel out. The main uncertainty IMO is UKIP - all the other parties have pretty stable support, though I accept AndyJS's point that he makes now and then that the frothy lead that we had last year has gone. Since a lot of UKIP's support are otherwise non-voters, I'm not sure it will make much difference to the outcome, though it will certainly affect the atmosphere if they do well.

I'll be surprised if UKIP make 10%. I don't think either main party has it in them at this point to pull away which brings me back to the leader factor.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What about next March?

I would go for Lab 33, Con 31, Ukip 15, LD 14

For some reason I have a hunch that both big parties end up almost even Steven.

LAB 36
    CON 35
    LIB 14
    KIP 11

• Options
    @Bobajob - You haven't left enough for other others.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Andy, I am pretty sure that Ed Balls is usually the HoC's Santa, happy to be corrected if I am wrong tho. :)
    AndyJS said:

Does Ed Balls usually play the part of Santa Claus in the HoC?

twitter.com/pamela_nash/status/410819124521357312

• Options
    Someone crunched the polling figures and compared Labour share last year and this year, Labour lead has almost halved.

• Options
    My prediction:

Labour 37%
    Conservatives 34%
    UKIP 13%
    Lib Dems 10%

Very slim majority for Labour, UKIP with a smattering of seats, LibDems losing around half their seats.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The media mostly focus on disagreements, and don't pay much attention to the LibDems in the first place. All Clegg really needs is:
    - One popular point of disagreement with Con.
    - One popular point of disagreement with Lab.
    - One reasonably popular point of disagreement with both.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    IMO the maximum number of net Labour gains at the next election is around 80 seats.

If that's correct, it means the Labour majority - if there is one - won't be larger than about 25. So about the same as what John Major had in 1992 for the Tories.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IMO the maximum number of net Labour gains at the next election is around 80 seats.

If that's correct, it means the Labour majority - if there is one - won't be larger than about 25. So about the same as what John Major had in 1992 for the Tories.

I think that's right. I think even the most optimistic Labour supporters have written off their chances of winning most of the southern seats that Blair won - anti-Labour feeling is generally too embedded there, and the type of swings needed to gain those types of seats is just way too much to achieve in one election.

The election will be decided (as it often is) in the Midlands, and, crucially, unlike in the Thatcher era, the Midlands is so far not experiencing any meaningful recovery at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Bit flabbergasting to me that the EU has been paying the salaries of Palestinian civil servants who haven't been doing anything since 2007 to the tune of a billion Euros:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/uk-eu-gaza-aid-idUKBRE9BA0HR20131211
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    Remember that both the same Ashcroft and Bown Survation polling of the marginals have had the Tories doing disproportionately badly compared with national polling - meaning that Labour will get a bigger bang for their national vote share.

I'm hoping for 5 more of the Bown Survation constituency polls before Christmas and we'll see if the same trend is portrayed.

• Options
    Nowt surprises me about the EU Parliament, gave up trying to understand how so many democracies in the EU let this Parliament and its politicians away with shannigans that it would never tolerate domestic Parliaments and politicians getting up too. :)
    AndyJS said:

Bit flabbergasting to me that the EU has been paying the salaries of Palestinian civil servants who haven't been doing anything since 2007 to the tune of a billion Euros:

• Options
    fitalass said:

Nowt surprises me about the EU Parliament, gave up trying to understand how so many democracies in the EU let this Parliament and its politicians away with shannigans that it would never tolerate domestic Parliaments and politicians getting up too. :)

AndyJS said:

But the EU Parliament isnt responsible for this.
This discussion has been closed.