Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New COVID19 polling finds two thirds of Brits saying that the

12346»

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Hmm, a German study seems to indicate children are as infectious as adults:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-scientists-caution-against-reopening-schools

My paediatric colleagues seem to be finding the Kawasaki like syndrome in children perhaps isn't very rare either.
    But according to Contrarian that is irrelevant because
    "The number of people who have died in hospital from Corona with no pre-existing condition is 250 from age 0-60. Even for 0-80 its under 750. Out of 20,000."
    Those are facts, not conjecture. I'm sorry if its a fact that you are uncomfortable with, given what we are doing to our economy, but its a fact nevertheless

Plus, as I understand, it, some of the children with this inflammation have tested negative for Corona. It may of course be Corona, but the link is not proven.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well precisely. And once you've squashed the deficit then you can manage the debt via growth and interest payments and paying a keen eye on the deficit in future.

But there is a difficult reality. We went into the 08 crash with debt at 40% of GDP and a deficit of 3%. We go into this crisis with debt at 85% of GDP and a deficit of 1.2%. Meaning we are less well placed. An extra 45% on debt is a bigger drag than the 1.8% mitigating extra headroom on deficit.

Last time spending cuts took the strain - with almost everything bar the NHS squeezed until the pips squeaked. This was morally wrong because it hit the least well off very badly. It also means that in practice it cannot be done again. There's no scope. Our public realm is denuded.

What was missing in our response to 08 was tax hikes on the better off - by which I mean everyone who is doing more than "just about managing" or not managing at all. The need is for a contribution via taxation (focused more on wealth than income - but on both) which becomes sharply higher as you go up the scale of affluence. It should have happened long before now. I hope this abdication of political leadership and moral obligation is not continued.
    No we are thankfully better placed now. That 1.8% difference in deficit is what matters massively more than the 45% on debt. Especially when much of that debt is owned by the Bank of England who would never call it in and don't demand interest on it either.

The deficit and interest payments are the two real elements which measure what we can afford not the debt.

Forget debt, we're never going to repay debt. We have to pay interest on debt - and the government bonds are frequently set to 30-50 year schedules so interest rate changes don't suddenly vary through to the budget.

We are going into this recession with interest being below 3% of government expenditure and the deficit being 1.2% of the government's budget. That's a lot healthier that we went into 2008 with.
    What is a deficit? It is the amount by which debt is rising.

Why do we worry about a deficit? Because of its impact on debt.

So when discussing the public finances can we really "forget debt"?

Clearly not. Because if this were the case - that debt does not matter - then the thing which is causing the debt to increase would not matter either. This thing being the deficit.
    No you have it backwards that is not why we worry about a deficit. We worry about a deficit because it means we are spending more than we are taking which is unsustainable, plus it leaves no headroom for changes if something goes wrong like happened in 2008.

Paying interest at 3% of our government expenditure is sustainable. Spending 4 pounds for every 3 pounds the government raises is not.
    Come on Philip. Thinking cap.

If the absolute level of debt does not matter why should we worry about spending more than we take in? About the deficit? Answer - we shouldn't. Because it wouldn't matter a jot.

But you and I - and indeed all bar true esoterics - agree that the deficit DOES matter.

Why? Because if not controlled it leads to unsustainable DEBT. Which matters.

It is time for a clear and simple "Yes, I see now" and then we can continue.
    *Facepalm*

An unsustainable deficit can indeed lead to unstainable debt, but how does stable debt without a deficit and with low interest lead to unsustainable debt?
    Exactly! We worry about a deficit because it can lead to unsustainable debt. Ergo the level of debt matters. If it did not matter, nor would deficits.

That took longer than it should have done but no matter.

Now then, next question and it's crux. If we were to phone up Rishi Sunak and ask him which of the following fiscal positions he would prefer going into this crisis -

(i) Debt at 40% of GDP and Deficit at 2.8%
    (ii) Debt at 85% of GDP and Deficit at 1.2%

Which would he choose and why?
    Ignoring the fact he couldn't choose (ii) would make it easier to bring the deficit back under control.

Historically an average deficit under 2.5 to 3% over the long term was considered acceptable because GDP growth and inflation would keep debt to GDP under control then. The problem with Brown is he hubristically thought boom and bust was broken which is why he was arrogantly running a 2.8% deficit so he had no room left to go when the recession came.

Let us imagine that this recession permanetly wipes out 5% of our tax base. In case (i) that means blowing the deficit out to 7.8% but in case (ii) it means blowing the deficit out to 6.2%. To bring the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (i) means spending cuts or tax rises of 4.8% - to brink the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (ii) means spending cuts or tax rises of 3.2%

Case (i) needs 50% more tax rises or spending cuts than case (ii) does.

That's without considering compound maths which we should all know the imporatance of by now.
    You are ignoring debt again when we have just finally agreed that it matters. It matters because we must not run up "unsustainable" debt. What is unsustainable as a number? We don't know. Nobody does. But what we do know is that 85% of GDP is closer to unsustainable than 40% is. Of course it is. It's more than double.

OK. So we either start with 85% debt and have to tackle (over time) a 1.2% annual addition to it. Or we start with 40% debt and have to tackle an opening 2.8% annual addition to it. Which scenario is the more comfortable in terms of our objective of staying below a level of cumulative debt which is unsustainable?

When contemplating this, please try to forget about Gordon Brown. He is not relevant.
    There is no debt figure that is unsustainable per se. Records of UK debt go past 250% of GDP without a default.

It is the deficit that determines sustainability.
    Yes, I said that already. We cannot put a specific number on what level of debt is unsustainable. But nevertheless we agree that at some level it would be.

Which means both the deficit AND the level of debt is relevant.

I can do no more, Philip. Thanks for the exchange. It was worth having.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eristdoof said:

I see we are finally tiptoeing towards, wear a bloody mask.

Better to wear one which has no blood on it.
    I don't know, if I saw someone with a bloody mask I'd socially distance from them.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I haven't watched the news for a while because it's extremely depressing. The first item. "674 deaths in the last 24 hours". No they fucking weren't. They were reported in the last 24 hours you idiots. This is causing a lot of unnecessary angst among people who think the death rate isn't going down.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,341
    Interesting stats on public trust for info on COVID - people trust the NHS (81%), Scottish Government (70%), the Welsh Government (56%), the British government (54%), the BBC (52%), Ch 4 (50%), and none of the print media, though the Guardian (39%) and FT (38%) are miles ahead of the rest (Mail 21%, the Sun 14%). I suspect most of us will find some of these figures surprising. Broadly, the media ratings correlate with seriousness of tone.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Pulpstar said:
    JFK is alive and having a lie down.
    JFK has been shot and mortally wounded.

At a key moment both statements were true, but one was somewhat
    missing the point.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    MaxPB said:

I haven't watched the news for a while because it's extremely depressing. The first item. "674 deaths in the last 24 hours". No they fucking weren't. They were reported in the last 24 hours you idiots. This is causing a lot of unnecessary angst among people who think the death rate isn't going down.

Does it make much difference? As the rate begins to fall both the daily reported deaths and the deaths ler day will fall on average, with day to day fluctuations.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    The Russian PM has coronavirus.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Pulpstar said:

81611 tests is very good. Pound for pound more than Germany !

We are miles behind in testing overall

Spain, Italy Germany in a totally different league in terms of total numbers or tests per million population.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well precisely. And once you've squashed the deficit then you can manage the debt via growth and interest payments and paying a keen eye on the deficit in future.

But there is a difficult reality. We went into the 08 crash with debt at 40% of GDP and a deficit of 3%. We go into this crisis with debt at 85% of GDP and a deficit of 1.2%. Meaning we are less well placed. An extra 45% on debt is a bigger drag than the 1.8% mitigating extra headroom on deficit.

Last time spending cuts took the strain - with almost everything bar the NHS squeezed until the pips squeaked. This was morally wrong because it hit the least well off very badly. It also means that in practice it cannot be done again. There's no scope. Our public realm is denuded.

What was missing in our response to 08 was tax hikes on the better off - by which I mean everyone who is doing more than "just about managing" or not managing at all. The need is for a contribution via taxation (focused more on wealth than income - but on both) which becomes sharply higher as you go up the scale of affluence. It should have happened long before now. I hope this abdication of political leadership and moral obligation is not continued.
    No we are thankfully better placed now. That 1.8% difference in deficit is what matters massively more than the 45% on debt. Especially when much of that debt is owned by the Bank of England who would never call it in and don't demand interest on it either.

The deficit and interest payments are the two real elements which measure what we can afford not the debt.

Forget debt, we're never going to repay debt. We have to pay interest on debt - and the government bonds are frequently set to 30-50 year schedules so interest rate changes don't suddenly vary through to the budget.

We are going into this recession with interest being below 3% of government expenditure and the deficit being 1.2% of the government's budget. That's a lot healthier that we went into 2008 with.

Clearly not. Because if this were the case - that debt does not matter - then the thing which is causing the debt to increase would not matter either. This thing being the deficit.
    No you have it backwards that is not why we worry about a deficit. We worry about a deficit because it means we are spending more than we are taking which is unsustainable, plus it leaves no headroom for changes if something goes wrong like happened in 2008.

Paying interest at 3% of our government expenditure is sustainable. Spending 4 pounds for every 3 pounds the government raises is not.

If the absolute level of debt does not matter why should we worry about spending more than we take in? About the deficit? Answer - we shouldn't. Because it wouldn't matter a jot.

But you and I - and indeed all bar true esoterics - agree that the deficit DOES matter.

*Facepalm*

An unsustainable deficit can indeed lead to unstainable debt, but how does stable debt without a deficit and with low interest lead to unsustainable debt?
    Exactly! We worry about a deficit because it can lead to unsustainable debt. Ergo the level of debt matters. If it did not matter, nor would deficits.

Now then, next question and it's crux. If we were to phone up Rishi Sunak and ask him which of the following fiscal positions he would prefer going into this crisis -

Scenario 2. Any day.
    I didn't ask you! You're meant to be explaining why property taxes can't work because they reduce the value of the property.

But I must duck out for a haircut now. Wife is waving scissors at me.
    It's quite simple really, assets hold value based on their returns, make the returns negative and the asset value drops, usually quite significantly.
    The value of an asset does indeed depend on expected returns. So if an annual tax is levied on a property - where before there was no such tax - it's value will indeed fall.

But the question was - why does this mean that the tax will not raise lots of money for HMRC?
    Taxing a falling asset value will necessitate an increase in the tax rate which will compound the loss in value and create a negative feedback loop. Wealth taxes only make sense to push behaviour change, not to raise money as people shift money into an untaxed asset class (and eventually overseas to tax havens).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    Pulpstar said:
    Apart from that accentuate the positive vibe v. the let's err on the side of caution thing. That difference is important in a government that governs by briefing, 'sources' and letting others interpret nuances.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791

Interesting stats on public trust for info on COVID - people trust the NHS (81%), Scottish Government (70%), the Welsh Government (56%), the British government (54%), the BBC (52%), Ch 4 (50%), and none of the print media, though the Guardian (39%) and FT (38%) are miles ahead of the rest (Mail 21%, the Sun 14%). I suspect most of us will find some of these figures surprising. Broadly, the media ratings correlate with seriousness of tone.

That last statement would also apply to the presentational ambience of the respective leading ministers of the three governments. That 70% cannot be put down to Indy vs Union (unless that has changed far more than I expect). The very low fiture for NI Gmt is interesting too.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    We should not have used a split infinitive.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-scientists-caution-against-reopening-schools

Well, no physical primary school for a while then !
    I think it contradicts what some other studies have found.

You really do have to cut Boris and other leaders around the world some slack when there is so much uncertainty about this virus.
    Yes, it's what I have been ceaselessly banging on. We know the square root of hee haw about this virus, anyone speaking with confidence about it is either an idiot or a charlatan.

And worse our feedback times are very long for actions we take. It is why acting 'rapidly' now could be so disruptive and counter productive. You have to operate at the speed of your senses.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Super cool population density visualisations. Beautiful rather than informative

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1255605330647625728

They are informative. They tell us that national population density figures are misleading. Most people live in areas that are much more densely populated than the national figure. I think this is especially true of GB and the Netherlands.
    Striking how Scotland is effectively the central belt, between two wildernesses.
    And the coastal fringe NE-about to Inverness. Wales is just the opposite.

Very nice maps.
    Love that Paris pop density is a model of the Eiffel Tower.
    A good reminder of how empty most of France and Spain are.

Be interesting to see the US rendered this way.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

And i bet virtually nobody can name him...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Spain, Italy Germany in a totally different league in terms of total numbers or tests per million population.
    At 100000 tests per day tests per million will rise by 1500 per day, and I don't think 100k is the limit, it's probably double that within the next week or so. We're no longer miles behind in testing. Antigen testing only helps for people who currently have it testing people who had it would be completey pointless.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Can you quote each of their daily test figures please
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

That's not right - that 81k is more than Italy (72k today), or Germany (~70k according to last RKI info I saw). Spain might be close to us, not too open with info - they were ramping up and have a smaller population. France doesn't publish dailies but are miles behind, I think I remember them aiming for 50k by end of the month, but dunno if they got there.

Some of the smaller nations are doing huge amounts per capita though.

• Options

It's ok to consciously use one according to Fowler.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

My paediatric colleagues seem to be finding the Kawasaki like syndrome in children perhaps isn't very rare either.
    That's worrying.
    Yes our Paeds teams have pulled back some of their staff on redeployment.

France and Italy are finding it too.

https://twitter.com/PrachiSrivas/status/1255898319727009792?s=09

https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/1255891218581594116?s=19

It is thought to be an inflammatory response triggered by viral infection.
    The mother of a local child posted a Facebook picture of her son's chilblain like red spots on his toes, which have since been diagnosed as a symptom of Covid.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Pulpstar said:

Not for long -but you've got a few days to find another new metric to complain about.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

31k, 32k, and 30k tests per million pop respectively.

Figure for the UK is 12k test per million.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    According to the PM the UK avoided the tragedy that has hit other countries !

So it’s all been a great success ! 2nd worst in Europe for deaths ! And thankfully they didn’t show all cause mortality which he said was a better indicator as that’s even worse !
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    I hope this is right, but I thought he said he does not like the word austerity, rather than it will not happen.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

That is not what I asked.

Please quote their daily tests by numbers
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Neither are the statements that Mundell has recently professed confusion about either.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scotland just 10,025 per million.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited April 2020
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:
    Neither are the statements that Mundell has recently professed confusion about either.
    Lol Can you enlighten me ?

I know he 'failed to connect'.
  • Options

And i bet virtually nobody can name him...
    I got it wrong.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Shit! I almost would have taken Monday off as Bank Holiday. I'd seen the VE Day stuff but hadn't appreciated the change.

I'm not particularly impressed by this, feels like another example of the forced commemoration that PBers have bristled against in recent weeks. Don't dick with my Bank Holidays.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

Ignoring the fact he couldn't choose (ii) would make it easier to bring the deficit back under control.

Historically an average deficit under 2.5 to 3% over the long term was considered acceptable because GDP growth and inflation would keep debt to GDP under control then. The problem with Brown is he hubristically thought boom and bust was broken which is why he was arrogantly running a 2.8% deficit so he had no room left to go when the recession came.

Let us imagine that this recession permanetly wipes out 5% of our tax base. In case (i) that means blowing the deficit out to 7.8% but in case (ii) it means blowing the deficit out to 6.2%. To bring the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (i) means spending cuts or tax rises of 4.8% - to brink the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (ii) means spending cuts or tax rises of 3.2%

That's without considering compound maths which we should all know the imporatance of by now.
    You are ignoring debt again when we have just finally agreed that it matters. It matters because we must not run up "unsustainable" debt. What is unsustainable as a number? We don't know. Nobody does. But what we do know is that 85% of GDP is closer to unsustainable than 40% is. Of course it is. It's more than double.

OK. So we either start with 85% debt and have to tackle (over time) a 1.2% annual addition to it. Or we start with 40% debt and have to tackle an opening 2.8% annual addition to it. Which scenario is the more comfortable in terms of our objective of staying below a level of cumulative debt which is unsustainable?

When contemplating this, please try to forget about Gordon Brown. He is not relevant.
    There is no debt figure that is unsustainable per se. Records of UK debt go past 250% of GDP without a default.

Yes, I said that already. We cannot put a specific number on what level of debt is unsustainable. But nevertheless we agree that at some level it would be.

No! At no point is the debt alone unsustainable! We could sustainably have debt at 3000% of GDP if we were sustainably running a budget surplus and sustainably have 0.2% bond yields. At that point interest would be running at 6% of GDP and could be paid.

What is unsustainable is the deficit which causes debt to increase compoundedly and interest can't be paid.

Debt is relevant but insignificant. What is significant is our structural deficit, which is why our bond yields now are so much cheaper than they were a decade ago.
  • Options
    Surely the 100k tests by today target can't actually happen?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

*cough* daily *cough*

If they're testing 31k per million daily that's impressive.
  • Options
    Witty uses a mac....he has gone right down in my estimation.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Super cool population density visualisations. Beautiful rather than informative

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1255605330647625728

They are informative. They tell us that national population density figures are misleading. Most people live in areas that are much more densely populated than the national figure. I think this is especially true of GB and the Netherlands.
    Striking how Scotland is effectively the central belt, between two wildernesses.
    And the coastal fringe NE-about to Inverness. Wales is just the opposite.

Very nice maps.
    Love that Paris pop density is a model of the Eiffel Tower.
    A good reminder of how empty most of France and Spain are.

Be interesting to see the US rendered this way.
    Here you go: the results of the American presidential election.

Half the country by population votes red and half blue, but the state-by-state maps show the GOP won a far bigger land mass. That is population density, more-or-less.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election
  • Options

Probably a good chance there will be 100k tests on the 1st of May.

• Options
    nico67 said:

So it’s all been a great success ! 2nd worst in Europe for deaths ! And thankfully they didn’t show all cause mortality which he said was a better indicator as that’s even worse !

Thank goodness, I was feeling pretty depressed about what I thought was a tragedy directly affecting people I know and hundreds of thousands of others. Now I know I can just chill.

I will also give anyone who uses the term Britain Trump a right old bollocking.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    edited April 2020

Does Fowler then claim to inadvertently split an infinitive is not OK?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Seems they found enough people wanting tests - eligibility has recently been opened up to everybody and their dog.

Also some maybe slightly dodgy statpadding via increased multiple tests per person too, but I imagine that's not un-useful to have clinically wrt false negatives etc (Dr Foxy?)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Yep, that is a very jarring line. He would be well advised to drop it.

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    Pro_Rata said:

Shit! I almost would have taken Monday off as Bank Holiday. I'd seen the VE Day stuff but hadn't appreciated the change.

I'm not particularly impressed by this, feels like another example of the forced commemoration that PBers have bristled against in recent weeks. Don't dick with my Bank Holidays.

It is also a bit half-hearted. If we want to celebrate VE Day that should have been an additional bank holiday, not the old one on a different day.
  • Options

It is very close.

Will know tomorrow and if Hancock hits it or even goes over it, watch the media explode in utter disappointment
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No need for that Big_G.
    I don't have the daily test numbers because Worldometers doesn't quote that but ask me tomorrow - I have captured yesterday's totals and will do the same for today's final totals. Then by a clever process of subtraction, I'll give you your answer. :smile:
  • Options

It is very close.

Will know tomorrow and if Hancock hits it or even goes over it, watch the media explode in utter disappointment
    So if we do 99k on the 30th April (announced tomorrow) and 101k (announced Saturday) on the 1st of the May - did he meet his milestone ?
  • Options
    This is all very silly. Neither side wants a deal badly enough to get one done. Both would be better off leaving these utterly pointless negotiations and preparing, as far as possible, for the consequences of that.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Where's the 80k test tweet, only one I can see has 50k tests.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think it's fine that the UK has for the first time been able to do as many tests, that's a good thing.
    What deserves a little more attention, though, seems to be, to me at least, the remarkable success rate of these tests. The UK did a little more tests than Germany today and identified almost 12x as many new infections. I'd say that's something to think about.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Good to see Air Moldova still going strong:

https://www.flightradar24.com/MLD906/246ddc41
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Witty cant tweet as he's doing his lecture.
  • Options
    I expect by then we will be very near to Boris walking away unless they change their tune
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I think the 30% who don't use public transport at all should be paid more attention. Some people bleat on about public transport as if we're all using it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The tweet usually comes out at about 7pm
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

No! At no point is the debt alone unsustainable! We could sustainably have debt at 3000% of GDP if we were sustainably running a budget surplus and sustainably have 0.2% bond yields. At that point interest would be running at 6% of GDP and could be paid.

What is unsustainable is the deficit which causes debt to increase compoundedly and interest can't be paid.

Debt is relevant but insignificant. What is significant is our structural deficit, which is why our bond yields now are so much cheaper than they were a decade ago.
    What’s also significant is that no one has much idea what the structure will look like in twelve months’ time.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No need for that Big_G.
    I don't have the daily test numbers because Worldometers doesn't quote that but ask me tomorrow - I have captured yesterday's totals and will do the same for today's final totals. Then by a clever process of subtraction, I'll give you your answer. :smile:
    Thanks Ben
  • Options

I expect by then we will be very near to Boris walking away unless they change their tune
    The timing could hardly be better to walk away to be frank.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    It's just a result of their different styles, Sturgeon more cautious and Johnson more bullish. In the end it will be somewhere in the middle.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

What’s also significant is that no one has much idea what the structure will look like in twelve months’ time.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

So if we do 99k on the 30th April (announced tomorrow) and 101k (announced Saturday) on the 1st of the May - did he meet his milestone ?
    No but it does not matter
  • Options

It is very close.

And if he misses it a chorus of BJ boosters saying it didn't really matter anyway.

Swings and roundabouts.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

I disagree - he said we would be doing 100k tests per day by May - not the last day of April.

• Options
    Next time some wanker tells me I should listen to Elon Musk I am just going to post this tweet

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1240754657263144960?s=19
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IIRC no.

I donated my well-thumbed Fowler to some grad when I retired but I seem to remember he divided the populace into four: those happy souls who neither know nor care know about split infinitives, those who care but don't really understand them, those who know but don't really care, and finally the poor sods who feel they have to always (yes, I know) point out their superior knowledge by picking up any sign of a dreaded SI.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    nico67 said:

Their metric is “ Did the NHS fall over” - and in that sense they’ve succeeded, while others have failed.

As to the bigger question of “how has the U.K. done?” We won’t know for a while. Comparing crude published COVID deaths is a mugs game given you’re comparing apples with bananas. Longer term controlling vs population density and pre-existing medical factors (eg obesity, diabetes) will answer that question - and indicate future action - for example being more aggressive in tackling both.
  • Options

It is very close.

Will know tomorrow and if Hancock hits it or even goes over it, watch the media explode in utter disappointment barely mention it and bang on about something else instead.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think it's fine that the UK has for the first time been able to do as many tests, that's a good thing.
    What deserves a little more attention, though, seems to be, to me at least, the remarkable success rate of these tests. The UK did a little more tests than Germany today and identified almost 12x as many new infections. I'd say that's something to think about.
    Exactly. Testing capacity is very important but next most important is to get those infected people to stay home and ensuring they do. Either by putting them into government isolation for 14 days or by locking them into their homes Wuhan style.

The former option would require a huge amount of temporary internment of the population but it would effectively wipe out the virus as it takes out a gigantic source of infection everyday. To my mind it's the way forwards, 6k people per day for 14 days minus any that need to be hospitalised. Remove >90% of viral spreaders from the population within 14 days.

• Options

nico67 said:

Their metric is “ Did the NHS fall over” - and in that sense they’ve succeeded, while others have failed.

As to the bigger question of “how has the U.K. done?” We won’t know for a while. Comparing crude published COVID deaths is a mugs game given you’re comparing apples with bananas. Longer term controlling vs population density and pre-existing medical factors (eg obesity, diabetes) will answer that question - and indicate future action - for example being more aggressive in tackling both.
    Indeed. We've all seen scenes of hospitals in Italy and Spain struggling to cope - that simply hasn't happened in the UK.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

I disagree - he said we would be doing 100k tests per day by May - not the last day of April.

What we really need to see is a consistent >100k tests per day, day in, day out going through May. If that's not achieved Hancock will be toast.
  • Options

It is very close.

Will know tomorrow and if Hancock hits it or even goes over it, watch the media explode in utter disappointment barely mention it and bang on about something else instead.
    New obsession with be daily fluctuations in R value.
  • Options

You mean walk away from a protocol the UK government agreed to and is part of an International Treaty . It’s amazing the attitude of some Leavers in here .
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

What we really need to see is a consistent >100k tests per day, day in, day out going through May. If that's not achieved Hancock will be toast.
    I would hope by the end of May, CV transmission will have be squashed enough that there wont be enough people requiring tests.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    edited April 2020

eristdoof said:

IIRC no.

I donated my well-thumbed Fowler to some grad when I retired but I seem to remember he divided the populace into four: those happy souls who neither know nor care know about split infinitives, those who care but don't really understand them, those who know but don't really care, and finally the poor sods who feel they have to always (yes, I know) point out their superior knowledge by picking up any sign of a dreaded SI.
    And he notes that the “neither know nor care” are in a happy position because logic is not a friend of their critics. Isn’t it a deluded hangover from Latin grammar?

Fowler is great fun - I love his description of Malapropisms - explaining that her followers are feebler folk, slipping in as single spies in an article, not whole battalions in a paragraph.
  • Options
    Not sure PBers will be learning much from the Witty talk.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Pulpstar said:

What are their testing rates like, per day?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

You mean walk away from a protocol the UK government agreed to and is part of an International Treaty . It’s amazing the attitude of some Leavers in here .
    No walk away from trade negotiations given Barnier is still talking nonsense.

The supposed prime risk of walking away was that the border couldn't cope with the traffic etc - no longer seems such a risk.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

I would hope by the end of May, CV transmission will have be squashed enough that there wont be enough people requiring tests.
    Don't hold your breath!
  • Options

nico67 said:

Indeed. We've all seen scenes of hospitals in Italy and Spain struggling to cope - that simply hasn't happened in the UK.
    The NHS didn’t fall over because people were not getting to hospital in time . Having loads of ICU beds available when people are dropping dead in their own homes or getting to hospital once their condition had deteriorated too much is hardly a success .

• Options
    nico67 said:

It is a two way street and the EU are the ones making unacceptable demands
  • Options

eristdoof said:

IIRC no.

And he notes that the “neither know nor care” are in a happy position because logic is not a friend of their critics. Isn’t it a deluded hangover from Latin grammar?

Fowler is great fun - I love his description of Malapropisms - explaining that her followers are feebler folk, slipping in as single spies in an article, not whole battalions in a paragraph.
    I suspect you are right re SIs. Mind you, not ending a sentence with a preposition is a sillier rule.

And yes - it's a very witty book. Wish I still had my copy now.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

Don't hold your breath!
    Wise advice in general at the moment.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    I was pleased to see a graph of daily hospital admissions rather than the usual total number in hospital. I submitted a question asking for this, so perhaps someone read it and responded.

I think this graph is more useful as it has less of a lag than the total in hospital or the number of deaths. Important when we are trying to keep tabs on R.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

~2k daily infections estimated for then if current decay is maintained. Might be low enough for the contact tracers to take over - it's probably roughly comparable to what Korea was facing at their peak.

• Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

What are their testing rates like, per day?
    Answer for today coming tomorrow - see my post @6:30pm
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    New thread.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

nico67 said:

Yep, that is a very jarring line. He would be well advised to drop it.

I wonder which Countries he was referring to?

Can PB Tories provide a list please
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

Hancock has done a fantastic job through this crisis, as have Johnson and Sunak.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

nico67 said:

Because we have managed to spread what has been just as bad a scenario more evenly, both over time and by geography.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,990
    Both unionist muppets in the one post, they rant and rave against Sturgeon and then when heap praise on Buffoon when he steals her ideas, pair of fannies.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited April 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

Which only illustrates my point. At some stage on the torrid journey of UK plc from debt of 85% towards debt of 3000% - and almost certainly well before such a level is reached - it will become untenable. Budget surpluses would hardly be relevant unless we are postulating coming down to 3000% from an even higher level. Which is not possible since if 3000% is unsustainable, anything higher would already have been unsustainable and thus never reached.

Botton line - both debt and deficit are relevant and significant. This is obviously true. Pretend it's not me telling you if it helps. Pretend it's Sunak.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I see we are finally tiptoeing towards, wear a bloody mask.

We are and the only thing that has been holding that advice back is the lack of availability of masks.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited April 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

It is very close.

Well done to Hancock if hits the target. It looked very unlikely at one time.

However if the numbers then fall right back afterwards it will just look like a face saving PR exercise. Surely the idea was to ramp up to doing that number of tests every day so let's hope that proves to be the case and not just a big push for May 1st to enable the government to say it hit its target
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

I've only just realised Penny Mordaunt is back in government.
  • Options

The letter doesn't contain one.
This discussion has been closed.