Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New COVID19 polling finds two thirds of Brits saying that the

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Wtf, even that graph is date of reporting. Mental.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    Pulpstar said:

81k tests probably enough for all but the most pedantic critics...so that will be the whole of the press pack.

That was yesterday's test number too - also Scotland should provide tests also on a pro rata basis which it won't.
    If Scotland was testing at the same rate as EW they'd be running at about 7,000/day - Sturgeon's target is half that, and daily delivery sometimes a third of that target.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52471298
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    ukpaul said:

TOPPING said:

neat video

Poor Scots have been displaced as the "accent of trust" by whatever this accent is (Yorkshire?).

Sounded a bit Lancashire to me,
    Generic Northern is the new RP.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    # in hospital in London looks to have ticked up to me.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

6,000 new cases isnt good news.

Sorry how can there be 6,000 new cases after six weeks of well observed lockdown?????

That's a physical impossibility isnt it????

Who are these people going about infecting each other???
    We've tested a lot more people. A few days ago those people would have gone down with the virus, had symptoms but not been tested
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Why don't they give the egg heads their own clicker to control the slides?

I haven't watched a press conference for weeks now. But last time I did, that fact was really irritating me!
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Susan Boyle
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    First question....keep the grockles out.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Sorry how can there be 6,000 new cases after six weeks of well observed lockdown?????

The answer is there in your question.

"well observed lockdown?????"

It's a weak lockdown that some are increasingly flouting. That suggests why. Also, my belief is that it is far more prevalent as an airborne virus and that is affecting closely knit accommodation.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Good effort by Boris today - but he is still struggling a bit and will probably only reappear on 7 May for the lockdown review.

We know we are getting the plan next week. Unlikely to be much change for 11 May, numbers appear to be moving in right direction so hopefully more substantive relaxation 1 June (ie + 3 weeks), including more social interaction and more businesses operating.

Not pubs for a while!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    I think today is the best day for Italian numbers

Active cases: 101.551 including 1.694 (-101) in ICU

Deaths + 285 (total: 27.967)

Healed/discharged +4693 (total: 75.945)
    Tests: 1.979.217 (+68.456)

New cases: +1.872
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

You think we have a 100% lockdown?

People ignoring the rules.
    People going to the shops.
    People going to work.
    People going for exercise.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Interesting mis-step from Boris. Misunderstanding Michelle's question.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,315
    Alistair said:

Super cool population density visualisations. Beautiful rather than informative

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1255605330647625728

Yet Spain is mostly low density?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

We're just picking up a lot more of them with much increased testing - same as Germany early on seemingly had a lot of cases and we didn't, it was mostly just a difference in testing. The actual % testing positive has fallen off a cliff in the last week though, down from something like 40% to a touch over 10% now.

Infection models still have us at around 13k or so new infections per day, down from ~80k a month ago, so cases 6k sounds about right. That was the same ratio Germany had when they first hit these test numbers.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    "Chris Patten urges UK to investigate origins of coronavirus in China
    Ex-Hong Kong governor also says China is ‘turning screws’ on city during pandemic"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/chris-patten-urges-uk-investigate-coronavirus-origins-china
  • Options

Cos no lockdown, not run by the CCP, is perfect.

• Options
    lockdown?

The leadership campaign is on hold for a year.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,011

Having someone else to operate your clicker shows how important you are. They are senior public sector managers, not eggheads as such
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Ah good, will know when I can have that holiday with the roadmap.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

People going to work.
    People hiding in pubs....
  • Options
    Good questions from the public. Very good questions.
  • Options

NHS guidelines.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

People going to work.
    https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-landlord-speaks-out-after-claims-customers-were-found-hiding-pub-cupboards-2562934
  • Options

Intra UK tourism isn't a good question. Let's find out about people coming in and how the government is going to make sure it isn't a continual new source of infection.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    tlg86 said:

I haven't watched a press conference for weeks now. But last time I did, that fact was really irritating me!
    I've watched umpteen webex talks over the past few weeks and most do seem to have third-party slide control. Not sure why but there it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Well, certainly raised a couple of issues that barely been mentioned by the journalists as they waste all their questions on asking when the lockdown will end.
  • Options

Yes. But Boris misunderstood one of them. Not like him. He is struggling.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    I suspect Boris's style is (within reason) to always say the questioner is correct - to make them feel good - even if his answer is somewhat to the contrary.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

Over to the Press....of course it is lockdown is affecting the economy. Implication...when will it end?
    Grrrrr!!!
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

The answer is there in your question.

"well observed lockdown?????"

It's a weak lockdown that some are increasingly flouting. That suggests why. Also, my belief is that it is far more prevalent as an airborne virus and that is affecting closely knit accommodation.
    Ironically, that may mean lockdown is making things worse in these specific circumstances. As ever, more research is needed.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

Indeed. Good he is back but he wouldn't be 100% under the circumstances.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Intra UK tourism isn't a good question. Let's find out about people coming in and how the government is going to make sure it isn't a continual new source of infection.
    Disagree, it is a good question since we're going to have lots of it when restrictions are lifted. International tourism needs to be asked about too mind.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Well precisely. And once you've squashed the deficit then you can manage the debt via growth and interest payments and paying a keen eye on the deficit in future.

But there is a difficult reality. We went into the 08 crash with debt at 40% of GDP and a deficit of 3%. We go into this crisis with debt at 85% of GDP and a deficit of 1.2%. Meaning we are less well placed. An extra 45% on debt is a bigger drag than the 1.8% mitigating extra headroom on deficit.

Last time spending cuts took the strain - with almost everything bar the NHS squeezed until the pips squeaked. This was morally wrong because it hit the least well off very badly. It also means that in practice it cannot be done again. There's no scope. Our public realm is denuded.

What was missing in our response to 08 was tax hikes on the better off - by which I mean everyone who is doing more than "just about managing" or not managing at all. The need is for a contribution via taxation (focused more on wealth than income - but on both) which becomes sharply higher as you go up the scale of affluence. It should have happened long before now. I hope this abdication of political leadership and moral obligation is not continued.
    When the Coalition was elected in 2010 I still got a personal allowance. I still got CB. I didn't have such restrictions on my pension contributions. I didn't have to pay extra for the privilege of living in Scotland. It is frankly ridiculous to say that tax on the higher earners was not increased substantially. My bill went up roughly £20k a year over that period which was about a 50% increase. The proportion of taxes paid by the highest earners went up sharply. That is as it should be and I am not complaining but this fantasy that Osborne was somehow protecting his rich friends whilst imposing harsh cuts on the poor is really nonsense.
    Well he most certainly did impose harsh cuts which impacted the poor. And there was no serious attempt to tax the wealth (assets) of the affluent. Labour raised top rate income tax. He cut it. And the big picture choice was to load most of the pain onto public spending.

Not seeing much nonsense there, David. I'm seeing the truth. It's all on the public record.
    The public record shows that the tax paid by the highest earners increased substantially which was the major cause of deficit reduction. When George talked about those with the broadest shoulders having to carry the load that was no more than the truth. Public spending was constrained but overall grew each year in real terms. There was also a much, much more aggressive searching for and accounting of overseas assets including new treaties with Switzerland. In focusing on wealth taxes you are painting a highly distorted picture.

But the fundamental problem he had to deal with was the loss of £100bn of taxes from financial services/banks. This did not recover quickly (in fact it still hasn't) which meant that spending and tax had to be brought into line at a new level. This is what is relevant for present purposes. If we permanently lose a large chunk of our tax paying economy because of the virus public spending and taxes will need to be brought into line again. If it is a short term hit with a strong bounce back much less action will be required.
    But the Debt Interest arising from a higher deficit was very manageable - and was always well below what faced Chamberlain as Chancellor during the National Government back in the 1930s.
    Yes, but debt needs to be rolled over so it affects the net cash requirement.
    Indeed - but its burden - in terms of interest rates - was manageable when Osborne took over in 2010. Just as the impact of the Covid 19 virus can be treated as a 'one off' , many would say that the same was true of the GFC in 2008 . Moreover, the deficit was already declining by 2010 and it can be argued that the deflationary impact of Osborne's austerity was to delay the continued improvement in the Public Finances.
    It was not manageable when we had the deficit we had, interest rates were going up for nations that didn't bring those down and countries were going bust.

How was that manageable?
    There was not upward pressure on UK interest rates when Darling left office - indeed Base Rate had already fallen to 0.5%.
    The government doesn't borrow at Base Rate!

10 Year Bond Yield on the date of the 2010 General Election: 3.808
    10 Year Bond Yield today: 0.208

Which is cheaper 3.808 or 0.208?
    I am well aware of that. The point is that there was no upward pressure on UK interest rates at the time - despite the political uncertainty. The Deficit had already peaked and was due to fall further without Osborne's austerity measures. I have seen no suggestion that interest rates would have climbed had Darling remained Chancellor.
    There wasn't too much upwards pressure because the markets could see the incoming government was serious about sorting it out.

Had Darling remained Chancellor it would have gone up further as it did in other struggling European nations. We don't need to guess that we can see it.

Thanks to the hardwork of Osborne we are in a much healthier position with a much smaller deficit going into this crisis than we had in 2010. Which is part of the reason why the yield is so low now.
    Rates fell from the start of the crisis to 2010 even as we borrowed incredible amounts. They are rock bottom now even though we have more debt than before and our deficit is going to be massive.

Your thesis doesn't stack up.

Instead, I think it's just that during a crisis people want to buy safe govt bonds. UK govt bonds are safe because we have our own currency.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Disagree, it is a good question since we're going to have lots of it when restrictions are lifted. International tourism needs to be asked about too mind.
    I just don't think it's that urgent, international travel is a much more pressing case.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I suppose it is churlish of me to wish we had a PM at 100% at this time you know what with the global pandemic an' all.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well precisely. And once you've squashed the deficit then you can manage the debt via growth and interest payments and paying a keen eye on the deficit in future.

But there is a difficult reality. We went into the 08 crash with debt at 40% of GDP and a deficit of 3%. We go into this crisis with debt at 85% of GDP and a deficit of 1.2%. Meaning we are less well placed. An extra 45% on debt is a bigger drag than the 1.8% mitigating extra headroom on deficit.

Last time spending cuts took the strain - with almost everything bar the NHS squeezed until the pips squeaked. This was morally wrong because it hit the least well off very badly. It also means that in practice it cannot be done again. There's no scope. Our public realm is denuded.

What was missing in our response to 08 was tax hikes on the better off - by which I mean everyone who is doing more than "just about managing" or not managing at all. The need is for a contribution via taxation (focused more on wealth than income - but on both) which becomes sharply higher as you go up the scale of affluence. It should have happened long before now. I hope this abdication of political leadership and moral obligation is not continued.
    No we are thankfully better placed now. That 1.8% difference in deficit is what matters massively more than the 45% on debt. Especially when much of that debt is owned by the Bank of England who would never call it in and don't demand interest on it either.

The deficit and interest payments are the two real elements which measure what we can afford not the debt.

Forget debt, we're never going to repay debt. We have to pay interest on debt - and the government bonds are frequently set to 30-50 year schedules so interest rate changes don't suddenly vary through to the budget.

We are going into this recession with interest being below 3% of government expenditure and the deficit being 1.2% of the government's budget. That's a lot healthier that we went into 2008 with.
    What is a deficit? It is the amount by which debt is rising.

Why do we worry about a deficit? Because of its impact on debt.

So when discussing the public finances can we really "forget debt"?

Clearly not. Because if this were the case - that debt does not matter - then the thing which is causing the debt to increase would not matter either. This thing being the deficit.
    No you have it backwards that is not why we worry about a deficit. We worry about a deficit because it means we are spending more than we are taking which is unsustainable, plus it leaves no headroom for changes if something goes wrong like happened in 2008.

Paying interest at 3% of our government expenditure is sustainable. Spending 4 pounds for every 3 pounds the government raises is not.
    Come on Philip. Thinking cap.

If the absolute level of debt does not matter why should we worry about spending more than we take in? About the deficit? Answer - we shouldn't. Because it wouldn't matter a jot.

But you and I - and indeed all bar true esoterics - agree that the deficit DOES matter.

Why? Because if not controlled it leads to unsustainable DEBT. Which matters.

It is time for a clear and simple "Yes, I see now" and then we can continue.
    *Facepalm*

An unsustainable deficit can indeed lead to unstainable debt, but how does stable debt without a deficit and with low interest lead to unsustainable debt?
    Exactly! We worry about a deficit because it can lead to unsustainable debt. Ergo the level of debt matters. If it did not matter, nor would deficits.

That took longer than it should have done but no matter.

Now then, next question and it's crux. If we were to phone up Rishi Sunak and ask him which of the following fiscal positions he would prefer going into this crisis -

(i) Debt at 40% of GDP and Deficit at 2.8%
    (ii) Debt at 85% of GDP and Deficit at 1.2%

Which would he choose and why?
    Ignoring the fact he couldn't choose (ii) would make it easier to bring the deficit back under control.

Historically an average deficit under 2.5 to 3% over the long term was considered acceptable because GDP growth and inflation would keep debt to GDP under control then. The problem with Brown is he hubristically thought boom and bust was broken which is why he was arrogantly running a 2.8% deficit so he had no room left to go when the recession came.

Let us imagine that this recession permanetly wipes out 5% of our tax base. In case (i) that means blowing the deficit out to 7.8% but in case (ii) it means blowing the deficit out to 6.2%. To bring the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (i) means spending cuts or tax rises of 4.8% - to brink the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (ii) means spending cuts or tax rises of 3.2%

Case (i) needs 50% more tax rises or spending cuts than case (ii) does.

That's without considering compound maths which we should all know the imporatance of by now.
    You are ignoring debt again when we have just finally agreed that it matters. It matters because we must not run up "unsustainable" debt. What is unsustainable as a number? We don't know. Nobody does. But what we do know is that 85% of GDP is closer to unsustainable than 40% is. Of course it is. It's more than double.

OK. So we either start with 85% debt and have to tackle (over time) a 1.2% annual addition to it. Or we start with 40% debt and have to tackle an opening 2.8% annual addition to it. Which scenario is the more comfortable in terms of our objective of staying below a level of cumulative debt which is unsustainable?

When contemplating this, please try to forget about Gordon Brown. He is not relevant.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I suppose it is churlish of me to wish we had a PM at 100% at this time you know what with the global pandemic an' all.
    If we had a Genie why not just wish for no global pandemic?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I just don't think it's that urgent, international travel is a much more pressing case.
    Maybe one of these so called journalists will ask it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

There's probably more risk from domestic than international as it stands.
  • Options
    Boris just said we managed to coincide our peak with the lockdown.
    I think it might be more than a coincidence!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

Is it not due to higher levels of testing?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Is a fully functioning PM such an impossible ask?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Eadric, aren't we roughly average for deaths per million for most comparable nations?

And don't we count almost every death that could feasibly be down to COVID-19 as being so, whereas other nations have tighter definitions? And our our figures include only hospital deaths, not care home deaths.

Comparison are difficult. The only measure I've seen that has us worst is the Ed Conway graph which has a bloody weird measure.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No, but your anger at a PM not being present when ill or not being 100% suggests we are supposed to bring in a brand new PM, without any known public backing and unclear who would be best placed to command a parliamentary majority in those circumstances, whenever a PM drops below 100% fitness in a crisis, given you don't believe deputizing is sufficient. What I cannot figure out is how this rapid changing of PMs in a crisis, with it being entirely unclear who would fill the role, is supposed to lead to clearer more effective decision making.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What's the alternative?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No we are thankfully better placed now. That 1.8% difference in deficit is what matters massively more than the 45% on debt. Especially when much of that debt is owned by the Bank of England who would never call it in and don't demand interest on it either.

The deficit and interest payments are the two real elements which measure what we can afford not the debt.

Forget debt, we're never going to repay debt. We have to pay interest on debt - and the government bonds are frequently set to 30-50 year schedules so interest rate changes don't suddenly vary through to the budget.

We are going into this recession with interest being below 3% of government expenditure and the deficit being 1.2% of the government's budget. That's a lot healthier that we went into 2008 with.

Clearly not. Because if this were the case - that debt does not matter - then the thing which is causing the debt to increase would not matter either. This thing being the deficit.
    No you have it backwards that is not why we worry about a deficit. We worry about a deficit because it means we are spending more than we are taking which is unsustainable, plus it leaves no headroom for changes if something goes wrong like happened in 2008.

Paying interest at 3% of our government expenditure is sustainable. Spending 4 pounds for every 3 pounds the government raises is not.

If the absolute level of debt does not matter why should we worry about spending more than we take in? About the deficit? Answer - we shouldn't. Because it wouldn't matter a jot.

But you and I - and indeed all bar true esoterics - agree that the deficit DOES matter.

*Facepalm*

An unsustainable deficit can indeed lead to unstainable debt, but how does stable debt without a deficit and with low interest lead to unsustainable debt?
    Exactly! We worry about a deficit because it can lead to unsustainable debt. Ergo the level of debt matters. If it did not matter, nor would deficits.

Now then, next question and it's crux. If we were to phone up Rishi Sunak and ask him which of the following fiscal positions he would prefer going into this crisis -

Ignoring the fact he couldn't choose (ii) would make it easier to bring the deficit back under control.

Historically an average deficit under 2.5 to 3% over the long term was considered acceptable because GDP growth and inflation would keep debt to GDP under control then. The problem with Brown is he hubristically thought boom and bust was broken which is why he was arrogantly running a 2.8% deficit so he had no room left to go when the recession came.

Let us imagine that this recession permanetly wipes out 5% of our tax base. In case (i) that means blowing the deficit out to 7.8% but in case (ii) it means blowing the deficit out to 6.2%. To bring the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (i) means spending cuts or tax rises of 4.8% - to brink the deficit back down safely to below 3% in case (ii) means spending cuts or tax rises of 3.2%

Case (i) needs 50% more tax rises or spending cuts than case (ii) does.

That's without considering compound maths which we should all know the imporatance of by now.
    You are ignoring debt again when we have just finally agreed that it matters. It matters because we must not run up "unsustainable" debt. What is unsustainable as a number? We don't know. Nobody does. But what we do know is that 85% of GDP is closer to unsustainable than 40% is. Of course it is. It's more than double.

OK. So we either start with 85% debt and have to tackle (over time) a 1.2% annual addition to it. Or we start with 40% debt and have to tackle an opening 2.8% annual addition to it. Which scenario is the more comfortable in terms of our objective of staying below a level of cumulative debt which is unsustainable?

When contemplating this, please try to forget about Gordon Brown. He is not relevant.
    There is no debt figure that is unsustainable per se. Records of UK debt go past 250% of GDP without a default.

It is the deficit that determines sustainability.
  • Options
    Ooh Chris getting a bit defensive. But why not learn on the job?
  • Options
    Peston why are we the worst in Europe

International comparisons are not helpful

Funny we never heard that when we were clustered with others rather than the top of the shit outcomes (European) league.

• Options
    Boris not giving anyone a follow-up question.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Well yes. I'd imagine the mild +ve cases will perhaps now isolate more than otherwise might have done too. Should help R.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

No. For obvious reasons.

Rt isn't 0. People are still going around. Just fewer than before.

• Options
    eadric said:

In what way is the UK doing "very well" especially when "compared to many other countries"?

Asking for 66 million friends

We're doing relatively well for a country with both a very large total population and a very high population density. Every other country in Europe either has a lower total population or a lower population density (or both).
  • Options

Funny we never heard that when we were clustered with others rather than the top of the shit outcomes (European) league.

Sounds to me like someone should hurry up and make the age adjusted all cause mortality graphs he's says we can use to compare.

I suspect UK won't be doing well on that one either.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hmm, a German study seems to indicate children are as infectious as adults:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-scientists-caution-against-reopening-schools
  • Options

Can easily rectify that - per head we are well below Spain and Italy.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

For that you need a fully functioning electorate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well yes. I'd imagine the mild +ve cases will perhaps now isolate more than otherwise might have done too. Should help R.
    It's good because all of those 6000 people can be told to stay isolated at home or isolated in hospital, previously we were catching just half of them and 3000 would stay in contact with others and inadvertently infect them. The next step of the strategy is to bring in all of the people those 6000 gave been on contact with over the last 14 days and have them tested as well.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-scientists-caution-against-reopening-schools

Well, no physical primary school for a while then !
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,698
    The article Whitty mentioned on why it's a mug's game to construct a league table of deaths:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-deaths-how-does-britain-compare-with-other-countries
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

No. For obvious reasons.

I don't know why Nerys and contrarian keep highlighting this because it's also the flaw in their "Why don't just the vulnerable people isolate?". Because isolation isn't perfect. A vulnerable person is in much more danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Boris just said we managed to coincide our peak with the lockdown.
    I think it might be more than a coincidence!

Coincidence has two meanings.
  • Options
    Sweet Jesus. The lower the better, R below 1 OK. R above 1 Bad.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

People going to work.
    Someone's been watching "Shaun of the Dead"?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

No. For obvious reasons.

I don't know why Nerys and contrarian keep highlighting this because it's also the flaw in their "Why don't just the vulnerable people isolate?". Because isolation isn't perfect. A vulnerable person is in much more danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it.
    Eh ?

A vulnerable person is in much more danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it.

Are you sure ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ooh Chris getting a bit defensive. But why not learn on the job?

Chris is nearly as culpable as Boris

I have noticed him get all defensive when people point out our relative poor performance, before.

Whilst ever the "Actually we are an international exemplar in our response" attitude as stated by his Deputy is present. We aren't going to learn from actual International exemplar like Germany S Korea and NZ
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, no physical primary school for a while then !
    I think it contradicts what some other studies have found.

You really do have to cut Boris and other leaders around the world some slack when there is so much uncertainty about this virus.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679

My paediatric colleagues seem to be finding the Kawasaki like syndrome in children perhaps isn't very rare either.
  • Options

Actually they did. From pretty much the very beginning, the egg heads have said this.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No. For obvious reasons.

Eh ?
    Should be "A vulnerable person is in much less danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it".
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

In what way is the UK doing "very well" especially when "compared to many other countries"?

Asking for 66 million friends

We're doing relatively well for a country with both a very large total population and a very high population density. Every other country in Europe either has a lower total population or a lower population density (or both).
    Russia and Germany and monaco also fit into the classification " Every other country in Europe either has a lower total population or a lower population density (or both)."
  • Options
    Foxy said:

My paediatric colleagues seem to be finding the Kawasaki like syndrome in children perhaps isn't very rare either.
    That's worrying.
  • Options
    I think Boris is looking better today certainly than he was when he did the No 10 announcement.
    Definitely recovering.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

For a UK tourism business any customers are potentially good news.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No. For obvious reasons.

Eh ?
    Should be "A vulnerable person is in much less danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it".
    Well that's logical but not what he's saying. Perhaps it's a typo or a counterintuitive statement, am not sure though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

When the PM nearly died a couple of weeks ago and was in hospital for the birth of a child?
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

For a UK tourism business any customers are potentially good news.
    Indeed, domestic tourism is probably going to be the best available for a while and hopefully internal travel within the UK won't be too bad soon, especially if there is a track and trace strategy up and running. I think we'll need capacity for 200k tests per day to really make it work though.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

Scenario 2. Any day.
    I didn't ask you! You're meant to be explaining why property taxes can't work because they reduce the value of the property.

But I must duck out for a haircut now. Wife is waving scissors at me.
    It's quite simple really, assets hold value based on their returns, make the returns negative and the asset value drops, usually quite significantly.
    The value of an asset does indeed depend on expected returns. So if an annual tax is levied on a property - where before there was no such tax - it's value will indeed fall.

But the question was - why does this mean that the tax will not raise lots of money for HMRC?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

But according to Contrarian that is irrelevant because
    "The number of people who have died in hospital from Corona with no pre-existing condition is 250 from age 0-60. Even for 0-80 its under 750. Out of 20,000."
  • Options

Expecting scientists to agree with each other after such a short time is a bit unrealistic.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575
    Looking at those company results, a hike in Corporation Tax doesn't look much like a revenue boost for a few years...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No. For obvious reasons.

Eh ?

A vulnerable person is in much more danger trying to isolate in a region where few people have the disease than where many people have it.

Are you sure ?
    Yes. Its like herd immunity when you can't get a vaccine for medical reasons - if you are vulnerable then the fewer other people passing the virus on the less risk you are in.
  • Options
    Bet365 is getting its money's worth.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sounds to me like someone should hurry up and make the age adjusted all cause mortality graphs he's says we can use to compare.

I suspect UK won't be doing well on that one either.
    There is bound to be a correlation IMO.

Its unrealistic to expect people not to make ongoing comparisons until the excess deaths data is available
  • Options
    I see we are finally tiptoeing towards, wear a bloody mask.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    At last, now we can expect efficient British face covering as opposed to that inferior Scotch kind.

https://twitter.com/Torcuil/status/1255899702085722113?s=20
  • Options
    81611 tests is very good. Pound for pound more than Germany !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

81611 tests is very good. Pound for pound more than Germany !

Deflates Beth Rigby
  • Options

I see we are finally tiptoeing towards, wear a bloody mask.

Better to wear one which has no blood on it.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

81k tests probably enough for all but the most pedantic critics...so that will be the whole of the press pack.

81k is for the 29th. Still could reach target by month end.
    Just 1,557 from the Scotch.

<2% of the total.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679

Foxy said:

That's worrying.
    Yes our Paeds teams have pulled back some of their staff on redeployment.

France and Italy are finding it too.

https://twitter.com/PrachiSrivas/status/1255898319727009792?s=09

https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/1255891218581594116?s=19

It is thought to be an inflammatory response triggered by viral infection.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

*Facepalm*

Scenario 2. Any day.
    I didn't ask you! You're meant to be explaining why property taxes can't work because they reduce the value of the property.

But I must duck out for a haircut now. Wife is waving scissors at me.
    It's quite simple really, assets hold value based on their returns, make the returns negative and the asset value drops, usually quite significantly.
    The value of an asset does indeed depend on expected returns. So if an annual tax is levied on a property - where before there was no such tax - it's value will indeed fall.

But the question was - why does this mean that the tax will not raise lots of money for HMRC?
    Because falling value means no Capital Gains Tax.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

<2% of the total. </p>
    Scots - Scotch is for drinking
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

<2% of the total. </p>
    Scots - Scotch is for drinking
    or eggs or broth or tape.

Scotch tape is so called because the original design skimped on adhesive over the full width - was seen as parsimonious.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,575
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Super cool population density visualisations. Beautiful rather than informative

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1255605330647625728

They are informative. They tell us that national population density figures are misleading. Most people live in areas that are much more densely populated than the national figure. I think this is especially true of GB and the Netherlands.
    Striking how Scotland is effectively the central belt, between two wildernesses.
    And the coastal fringe NE-about to Inverness. Wales is just the opposite.

Very nice maps.
    Love that Paris pop density is a model of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.