Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some points from today’s new polling

Comments

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is a thread about trying to do things remotely/social distancing and the justice system.

Spoiler: It really is an option.

https://twitter.com/MelStooks/status/1252520863821434880

A friend speculates this is the time to commit low to medium level non violent/no sexual crimes, the justice system might not be able to cope, and you'll never get to trial, unless we go the way of North Britain.

Did you mean to write "not an option" ?
    Yeah.

Checks notes.

Blames auto-correct noisy children distracting me.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308

HYUFD said:
    This is the same Queen who hasn't donated a square foot of floor space in her myriad palaces to help test/treat her subjects during the pandemic?
    I hear the Queen has made some of her resisdences available to the otherwise idle and feckless during the pandemic. I understand there is a former Falkland Conflict hero who has hit hard times who is currently a guest at Windsor Castle.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I wonder if the Vygon contract was won openly under EU procurement rules and whether restricting to domestic suppliers would have been allowed on national security/key infrastructure (/equivalent) grounds?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Apparently Starmer will do PMQs even though Boris is away. I like that. I kind of get why there's this thing where if the PM is away the LoTo likewise gets a deputy in, but he's still on the job, it's not like its an affront to ask questions of the non-PM

Plenty of precedent for that. I recall Kinnock as Opposition Leader asking questions to John Biffen in mid-80s when the latter stood in for Thatcher.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Pulpstar said:

This is a thread about trying to do things remotely/social distancing and the justice system.

Spoiler: It really is an option.

https://twitter.com/MelStooks/status/1252520863821434880

A friend speculates this is the time to commit low to medium level non violent/no sexual crimes, the justice system might not be able to cope, and you'll never get to trial, unless we go the way of North Britain.

Did you mean to write "not an option" ?
    Yeah.

Checks notes.

Blames auto-correct noisy children distracting me.
    Most of the issue like using bad technology that the rest of the world got away from in about 1992 to me.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Andy_JS said:

Oxford vaccine trial in humans from Thursday

Are they looking for volunteers?
    Yes. https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/volunteer

I considered volunteering but I am not eligible as I had a slight temperature for 3 days in late March (less than 30 days ago). You have to be willing to take the risk of a possible enhanced immune response either to the vaccine or to the virus.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,701
    kinabalu said:

Oh dear.

Dozens of patients with Covid-19 have been turned away from the NHS Nightingale hospital in London because it has too few nurses to treat them, the Guardian can reveal.

The disclosure comes amid a growing belief among hospital management in the capital that the Nightingale, built to great acclaim over just nine days, was becoming a “white elephant”.

The hospital has been unable to admit about 50 people with the disease and needing “life or death” care since its first patient arrived at the site, in the ExCeL exhibition centre, in London’s Docklands, on 7 April. Thirty of these people were rejected because of a lack of staff.

The planned transfer of more than 30 patients from established London hospitals to the Nightingale was “cancelled due to staffing issues”, according to NHS documents seen by the Guardian. All the patients had been intubated and were on a ventilator because they were so unwell.

The revelation raises questions about the role and future of the hospital, which up until Monday had only treated 41 patients, despite being designed to include almost 4,000 beds.

That means that the hospital has rejected more patients, due to a combination of understaffing and the patients’ health, than it has treated. Of those 41 patients, four have died, seven have been discharged to a less critical level of care, and the other 30 were still being cared for at the Nightingale.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/04/21/some-points-from-todays-new-polling/

Accords with what I'm hearing. Fair or not, some senior NHS management are talking about a white elephant.
    Strange article.

If you don't need much of Plan B because Plan A worked, that is a sign of success, not failure.

The piece even attempts to link Nightingale to the Northwick Park "Critical Incident" in late March - which was resolved in 24 hours by a bit of cooperation with neighbouring hospitals.

And one reason they don't have the staff .. because the hospitals trying to pass the patients over have not managed to release staff who could care for them more efficiently at the Nightingale.

Attempt to create a narrative #FAIL.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

TimT said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

159 UK new Suppliers of PPE to come on board.

Why weren't they on board 4 weeks ago?

Yup, why have we waited until now. Where was the strategy to ensure we never got to this situation in the first place.
    We ordered material manufactured by the highest quality (and most expensive) provider. We were their earliest and largest order so had priority. We assumed that given this was a reputable company located in a close ally and a fellow EU state we would have no issues with fulfilment.

So we had no plan B

It turns out it is a mistake to trust the French
    The French copied the Americans:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52161995

"The US has been accused of redirecting 200,000 Germany-bound masks for its own use, in a move condemned as "modern piracy".
    "The local government in Berlin said the shipment of US-made masks was "confiscated" in Bangkok.
    "The FFP2 masks, which were ordered by Berlin's police force, did not reach their destination, it said."
    Sunil, I believe that story has been totally debunked, although the Germans, taking a leaf from Trump's own book, continue to peddle it regardless of it being based on false 'facts'
    Excuse me, but can you direct me towards any actual source of debunking?
    I haven't seen any retraction by the Berlin Police Force from their public statement at the time, that the stuff was ordered, payed for, and notification of delivery received, before it was confiscated while already loaded onto the plane.

Further, could you please point out to me any instance of "the Germans peddling these 'false facts' regardless", besides, maybe, this comment of mine?
    3M is the only US company with N95 production facilities in the region, and hence the only company from which the US could have 'confiscated' the order. They have no record of the so-called Berlin order. The Mayor of Berlin later admitted that the order was with a German company, (and hence not susceptible to the US requisition order).

"German officials on Friday were stinging in their criticism of the Trump administration after a consignment of face masks that they said was ordered and paid for by the Berlin police was diverted en route from China. But one of the officials backpedaled from his statement on Saturday.

"Andreas Geisel, Berlin’s interior minister, said the delivery made it as far as Bangkok before being “confiscated.” In a statement Friday, he said the masks had been ordered from a U.S. firm and “we are currently assuming that this is related to the U.S. government’s ban on mask exports." Berlin mayor Michael Müller also weighed in to call the action “inhumane and unacceptable.”

"But on Saturday, Geisel wrote on Twitter that he had clarified that the order was placed with a German firm, and that supply-chain issues were being “reviewed.”
    "German press reports said Friday the consignment was ordered from 3M. 3M later said it had “no evidence” that its products had been seized, as it had “no record of any order of respirators from China for the Berlin police.”

"The German federal government did not respond to a request to comment on Friday. The U.S. State Department declined to comment on the complaints from various countries."

It is ironic that even the Germans are using Trump's own tactics against him.

Source:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/03/white-house-scrambles-scoop-up-medical-supplies-angering-canada-germany/
    Thank you for linking the WaPo article. As I understand it, the heart of the matter is that the Berlin Police Force didn't order directly from 3M, but from a German kit wholesaler who in turn then ordered from 3M. The redirection of the delivery seems to have happened nevertheless, the masks didn't arrive as previously notified. I'm unable to find any information, though, on whether and when the delivery then actually occured.
    And thanks for the additional information, Matt
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    DougSeal said:
    Is the second really a takeaway from that? They all got infected because it was a closed environment. That doesn't mean there is an iceberg everywhere else.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    Channel 4 News are talking about a possible vaccine.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited April 2020
    I hope if/when we develop a vaccine, Macron, Trump & Ping are at the back of the queue - to borrow a phrase.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

Andy_JS said:

I considered volunteering but I am not eligible as I had a slight temperature for 3 days in late March (less than 30 days ago). You have to be willing to take the risk of a possible enhanced immune response either to the vaccine or to the virus.
    Thanks. Looks like I'm not eligible because I don't live in those areas.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Megs & Harry still right up there, the Septics evidently don't read British tabloids.
    How relevant is a poll from November 2019 in April 2020?

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    DougSeal said:
    At the risk of being battered a 'high density network' could be a household under lockdown
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

HYUFD said:
    This is the same Queen who hasn't donated a square foot of floor space in her myriad palaces to help test/treat her subjects during the pandemic?
    It isn't needed, even the Nightingale has plenty of spare beds
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

A Belgian biotech firm claims it has developed a foolproof coronavirus antibody test that is 100 per cent accurate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8241195/Belgian-biotech-firm-claims-coronavirus-antibody-test-100-accurate.html

The Belgians are awesome, might be the best thing the Belgians have done since Victor D'Hondt came up with his PR system.
    He rebadged the Jefferson method.
    Jefferson was a serologist ?
    Yes. Like D'Hondt.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    RobD said:
    Not at Skegness it wouldn't....just stop you getting your eyeballs sand-blasted.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:
    Is the second really a takeaway from that? They all got infected because it was a closed environment. That doesn't mean there is an iceberg everywhere else.
    No, but it is indicative of high levels of asymptomatic or paucisymptomatic spread which, given the current directives on whom to test, will not be captured in the official testing figures anywhere. It is therefore reasonable to assume that, everywhere, there has been greater exposure than captured by official numbers.

For all the faults in the Stanford study, both that study and a similar, more scientific, study in LA point to overall exposure in those two cities in the order of 2-6%, or 50 to 100 times greater than the number captured by official testing.

Edit. I believe a similar study in Scotland last week came to similar conclusions.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Oh dear.

Dozens of patients with Covid-19 have been turned away from the NHS Nightingale hospital in London because it has too few nurses to treat them, the Guardian can reveal.

The disclosure comes amid a growing belief among hospital management in the capital that the Nightingale, built to great acclaim over just nine days, was becoming a “white elephant”.

The hospital has been unable to admit about 50 people with the disease and needing “life or death” care since its first patient arrived at the site, in the ExCeL exhibition centre, in London’s Docklands, on 7 April. Thirty of these people were rejected because of a lack of staff.

The planned transfer of more than 30 patients from established London hospitals to the Nightingale was “cancelled due to staffing issues”, according to NHS documents seen by the Guardian. All the patients had been intubated and were on a ventilator because they were so unwell.

The revelation raises questions about the role and future of the hospital, which up until Monday had only treated 41 patients, despite being designed to include almost 4,000 beds.

That means that the hospital has rejected more patients, due to a combination of understaffing and the patients’ health, than it has treated. Of those 41 patients, four have died, seven have been discharged to a less critical level of care, and the other 30 were still being cared for at the Nightingale.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/04/21/some-points-from-todays-new-polling/

Accords with what I'm hearing. Fair or not, some senior NHS management are talking about a white elephant.
    Strange article.

If you don't need much of Plan B because Plan A worked, that is a sign of success, not failure.

The piece even attempts to link Nightingale to the Northwick Park "Critical Incident" in late March - which was resolved in 24 hours by a bit of cooperation with neighbouring hospitals.

And one reason they don't have the staff .. because the hospitals trying to pass the patients over have not managed to release staff who could care for them more efficiently at the Nightingale.

Attempt to create a narrative #FAIL.
    To be fair to the Guardian they are trying very hard. There was that “CABINET SPLIT OVER LOCKDOWN” story this morning that revealed that there were a, er, range of general views put forward largely linked to whether ministers were in economic departments or not and, er, nobody was advocating a lifting of the lockdown at this stage.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It isn't needed, even the Nightingale has plenty of spare beds
    That kind of petty objection is why Republicans are objects of fun and/or pity.
  • Options

RobD said:
    Not at Skegness it wouldn't....just stop you getting your eyeballs sand-blasted.
    Are we sure this story wasn't written by Boris the Journalist in a campaign to sink the EU with ridicule?
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    At the risk of being battered a 'high density network' could be a household under lockdown
    The vast majority of community transmission in China was within families during lockdown.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Andy_JS said:

Yep from Oxford and it was discussed earlier.
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:
    No, but it is indicative of high levels of asymptomatic or paucisymptomatic spread which, given the current directives on whom to test, will not be captured in the official testing figures anywhere. It is therefore reasonable to assume that, everywhere, there has been greater exposure than captured by official numbers.

For all the faults in the Stanford study, both that study and a similar, more scientific, study in LA point to overall exposure in those two cities in the order of 2-6%, or 50 to 100 times greater than the number captured by official testing.

Edit. I believe a similar study in Scotland last week came to similar conclusions.
    what the ohio sample does not say is how many prisoners who tested positive presented with symptoms.

• Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

I just don't see how this example of a completely closed and close community can tell us about a potential iceberg in the wider world. The whole world isn't cooped up in a massive prison where we all eat in the same room, for example.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

fox327 said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if the informed consent forms are also letting volunteers know about antibody-dependent enhancement in some coronavirus (eg SARS, MERS) vaccines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178114/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Lady Diana Spencer? Should the American public not be told?
    Like JFK the icon lives on
    They don't know JFK is no longer with us either? Blimey!
    Didn’t you know? Elvis swooped in time save him and take him off to safety. The Queen organised it all - Project Avalon
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:
    One could argue that thewhole of this country, and indeed much of the rest of the world, has also been in a closed environment since mid-March.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Oh dear.

To be honest, part of me wants them to be a white elephant because our main hospitals aren't overflowing with Covid-19 patients.

I am concerned that they are turning away patients because of a lack of staff though.
    Especially when they appear to have excess staff elsewhere
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:
    One could argue that thewhole of this country, and indeed much of the rest of the world, has also been in a closed environment since mid-March.
    But in separate places, we don't all go to the same room to eat, do we?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Don't get your hopes up, it is from a second rate institution, who have never come up with anything good.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:
    Are we sure this story wasn't written by Boris the Journalist in a campaign to sink the EU with ridicule?
    He's had a bit of time on his hands.....
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219
    RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

I just don't see how this example of a completely closed and close community can tell us about a potential iceberg in the wider world. The whole world isn't cooped up in a massive prison where we all eat in the same room, for example.
    Most of the world is now cooped up in closed communities of various sizes.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:
    Hard to even say if they're undetected as the article doesn't mention how many had symptoms.

The US aircraft carrier, which is likely to have a lot of very fit people without underlying problems, still had 40% showing symptoms, so you'd expect a higher % in the general population. An iceberg of undetected/unnoticed cases would be fantastic, but I don't think we can assume there is one.

• Options
    RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

I take your point about the difference between a closed environment, and populations with social distancing. But the more general point about testing bias and asymptomatic spread applies to all environments, not just prisons. Which is why all of the very few community antibody tests I have seen point in the same direction as this prison study, even if the levels are different.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

See my reply to your other comment. It's a totally different scenario. In prison, if one person gets it, everyone is going to get it. The fact that hasn't happened in the outside world just goes to prove my point.
  • Options
    TimT said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

I take your point about the difference between a closed environment, and populations with social distancing. But the more general point about testing bias and asymptomatic spread applies to all environments, not just prisons. Which is why all of the very few community antibody tests I have seen point in the same direction as this prison study, even if the levels are different.
    Yeah, it may be that a couple of % of the population has it, not 73%. Very different!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Pulpstar said:

I hope if/when we develop a vaccine, Macron, Trump & Ping are at the back of the queue - to borrow a phrase.

The journalists at the daily presser can get behind them....after all they blamed Whitty for allowing himself to contract it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

See my reply to your other comment. It's a totally different scenario. In prison, if one person gets it, everyone is going to get it. The fact that hasn't happened in the outside world just goes to prove my point.
    Why is that different to a household in lockdown? if one gets it everybody will.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Why is that different to a household in lockdown? if one gets it everybody will.
    Then you have four people with it and it stops there. In prison, it keeps going until the entire population has it. We're talking about the population of the prison compared to the population at large.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Yeah, it may be that a couple of % of the population has it, not 73%. Very different!
    How do you know? still have no idea what percentage of, say, the UK population has it right now, or has had it in the past.

If the Belgians really are making an infallible antibody test, it could have some astonishing results.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

159 UK new Suppliers of PPE to come on board.

Why weren't they on board 4 weeks ago?

Yup, why have we waited until now. Where was the strategy to ensure we never got to this situation in the first place.
    We ordered material manufactured by the highest quality (and most expensive) provider. We were their earliest and largest order so had priority. We assumed that given this was a reputable company located in a close ally and a fellow EU state we would have no issues with fulfilment.

So we had no plan B

It turns out it is a mistake to trust the French
    The French copied the Americans:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52161995

"The US has been accused of redirecting 200,000 Germany-bound masks for its own use, in a move condemned as "modern piracy".
    "The local government in Berlin said the shipment of US-made masks was "confiscated" in Bangkok.
    "The FFP2 masks, which were ordered by Berlin's police force, did not reach their destination, it said."
    Sunil, I believe that story has been totally debunked, although the Germans, taking a leaf from Trump's own book, continue to peddle it regardless of it being based on false 'facts'
    Excuse me, but can you direct me towards any actual source of debunking?
    I haven't seen any retraction by the Berlin Police Force from their public statement at the time, that the stuff was ordered, payed for, and notification of delivery received, before it was confiscated while already loaded onto the plane.

Further, could you please point out to me any instance of "the Germans peddling these 'false facts' regardless", besides, maybe, this comment of mine?
    3M is the only US company with N95 production facilities in the region, and hence the only company from which the US could have 'confiscated' the order. They have no record of the so-called Berlin order. The Mayor of Berlin later admitted that the order was with a German company, (and hence not susceptible to the US requisition order).

"German officials on Friday were stinging in their criticism of the Trump administration after a consignment of face masks that they said was ordered and paid for by the Berlin police was diverted en route from China. But one of the officials backpedaled from his statement on Saturday.

"Andreas Geisel, Berlin’s interior minister, said the delivery made it as far as Bangkok before being “confiscated.” In a statement Friday, he said the masks had been ordered from a U.S. firm and “we are currently assuming that this is related to the U.S. government’s ban on mask exports." Berlin mayor Michael Müller also weighed in to call the action “inhumane and unacceptable.”

"But on Saturday, Geisel wrote on Twitter that he had clarified that the order was placed with a German firm, and that supply-chain issues were being “reviewed.”
    "German press reports said Friday the consignment was ordered from 3M. 3M later said it had “no evidence” that its products had been seized, as it had “no record of any order of respirators from China for the Berlin police.”

"The German federal government did not respond to a request to comment on Friday. The U.S. State Department declined to comment on the complaints from various countries."

It is ironic that even the Germans are using Trump's own tactics against him.

Source:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/03/white-house-scrambles-scoop-up-medical-supplies-angering-canada-germany/
    Thank you for linking the WaPo article. As I understand it, the heart of the matter is that the Berlin Police Force didn't order directly from 3M, but from a German kit wholesaler who in turn then ordered from 3M. The redirection of the delivery seems to have happened nevertheless, the masks didn't arrive as previously notified. I'm unable to find any information, though, on whether and when the delivery then actually occured.
    And thanks for the additional information, Matt
    Based on the description it sounds like the German wholesaler placed a grey market order. Most multinationals don’t really like that because it messes up pricing. In this case 3M might have stopped it under their regional pricing policy
  • Options

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

How do you know? still have no idea what percentage of, say, the UK population has it right now, or has had it in the past.

If the Belgians really are making an infallible antibody test, it could have some astonishing results.
    No, but I am pretty confident it is not 73%. Figures I've seen put it in the low single figures. Demonstrating quite nicely how the outside world is not like a prison.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793

Oh dear.

Not this crap again. From the very start, they said the plan was for less serious cases. And was a backstop for if things got really tight for capacity, which it hasn't.

Nightingale hospital in London 'to treat less critical Covid-19 cases'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/nightingale-hospital-in-london-to-treat-less-critical-covid-19-cases

I think we would all love the equivalent of these for making PPE.
    Though they are supposed to take intubated patients:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1250896921050386434?s=09

Rather bizarrely, the sending hospital is supposed to send the staff too as well as the patient:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1250896912678617089?s=09

And the exclusion criteria cut out many transfers:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1250896928776257536?s=09

Personally, I would use them for all cases, and make admission compulsory when diagnosed, for testing, monitoring and preventing onward transmission.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    RobD said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

No, but I am pretty confident it is not 73%. Figures I've seen put it in the low single figures. Demonstrating quite nicely how the outside world is not like a prison.
    The proof is in the ONS figures. They tell us when the virus started to spread through the UK - i.e. the middle of March.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

It’s probably not a bad analog for the worker accommodation blocks in Singapore and the Middle East, which have been a source of infection spreading in those areas.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I think we need to hear more about government plans for making sure manufacturing capability is there for this Oxford vaccine. Hancock said if "either" of these. Does Oxford have two variants?

We don't want to be in a situation where it works and then they can't make the thing in the qualities needed for months.

I believe Gates is going to select 7 candidates and have all 7 made in volume before they are even proved to work.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DYOR but this guy thinks the euro is doomed and the denouement could begin in the summer

https://twitter.com/mtmalinen/status/1252574926374141954?s=21

Hyperbole? Maybe. But this feels like the next big story

Depends if the Germans and the Dutch are okay forking over billions.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DYOR but this guy thinks the euro is doomed and the denouement could begin in the summer

Would the EU survive the collapse of the Euro?
  • Options

I think we need to hear more about government plans for making sure manufacturing capability is there for this Oxford vaccine.

We don't want to be in a situation where it works and then they can't make the thing in the qualities needed for months.

I believe Gates is going to select 7 candidates and have all 7 made in volume before they are even proved to work.

And then logistics. How do you vaccinate 60 million people in under a year?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

It’s probably not a bad analog for the worker accommodation blocks in Singapore and the Middle East, which have been a source of infection spreading in those areas.
    Or care homes...

I would hesitate to label these Ohio cases as asymptomatic, until a month has gone by. They may just be in the early phase, and be seriously ill in a few weeks.

I do rather hope that asymptomatic cases are common though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think we need to hear more about government plans for making sure manufacturing capability is there for this Oxford vaccine.

Hopefully not via 20 odd drive through centres in the car parks of theme parks!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    eadric said:

ttps://twitter.com/mtmalinen/status/1252574926374141954?s=21

Its either mutualised debt issuance or lose Italy, Greece and possibly Spain from the EZ.

It’s now up to Germany, Austria and the Netherlands to decide which *of those two* options is preferable.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    eadric said:

Never doubt the EU's ability to extend and pretend by doing the absolute bare minimum.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Its either mutualised debt issuance or lose Italy, Greece and possibly Spain from the EZ.

It’s now up to Germany, Austria and the Netherlands to decide which *of those two* options is preferable.
    Given the stability pact, how are countries like Spain and Italy supporting their businesses through lockdown?

They cannot do what Sunak is doing
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eadric said:

And France. But as I said, the EU will do the bare minimum and simply declare victory.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Given the stability pact, how are countries like Spain and Italy supporting their businesses through lockdown?

They are but cannot go on indefinitely in the same way we could, for example.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    On Topic 19& of people still BEEEELLLLIIIEEVVVEEEE in Hancock
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

They aren't and the consequences are going to become obvious once the holiday season disintegrates.
  • Options
    RobD said:

There's a simple way to sort out this.

There'll be a priority list for those who think pineapple doesn't belong on pizza.
  • Options

I'm not really interested in personalities at the moment tbh.
  • Options
    Ok this is from China so you know, caution, but it would explain a great many things.

Scientists in China have discovered more than 30 mutations of the new coronavirus, which they say may partly explain why it has been more deadly in certain parts of the world.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-more-than-30-strains-say-scientists-in-china-11976380
  • Options
    The Daily Mail really is being disgraceful at the moment, saying the virus is "spiralling out of control". No it isn't.
  • Options

Ok this is from China so you know, caution, but it would explain a great many things.

Scientists in China have discovered more than 30 mutations of the new coronavirus, which they say may partly explain why it has been more deadly in certain parts of the world.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-more-than-30-strains-say-scientists-in-china-11976380

Hmmmm...

"Ten of the 11 patients involved in the study - which included eight males and three females aged between four months and 71 years old - had "moderate or worse symptoms" of COVID-19."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Daily Mail really is being disgraceful at the moment, saying the virus is "spiralling out of control". No it isn't.

Mail have been particularly critical of the government.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

That shouldn't be *the* major problem, compared to the other majr problems, depending slightly on how complex the vaccine is - eg if it needs multiple jabs.

Each winter around 10 million people are given a flu jab in a small number of months through GPs; it won't be *that* much of a stretch over that. Pressure and work, but doable.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Doesn't the €1 trillion Perpetual Bond proposed today cover a lot of it?

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1252667231516987393?s=19
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

That shouldn't be the major problem, depending slightly on how complex the vaccine is - eg if it needs multiple jabs.

Each winter getting on for 15 million people are given a flu jab in a small number of months through GPs; it won't be *that* much of a stretch over that.
    I was surprised to find out how low flu jab take up in Germany was.
  • Options
    https://tinyurl.com/yc2hb5ht

The triumph of Imperial college in this week’s final was pleasing – it’s always pleasing to see an Oxbridge college brought down a peg or two – and the breadth of knowledge displayed was incredibly impressive. But we cannot be expected to believe that there wasn’t a single female student at Imperial or Corpus Christi who could have added to those teams.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    Not only PB that has seen ad revenues crash:

Mumsnet launches subscription plea in 'squeaky-bum time'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52366610
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

That shouldn't be the major problem, depending slightly on how complex the vaccine is - eg if it needs multiple jabs.

Each winter getting on for 15 million people are given a flu jab in a small number of months through GPs; it won't be *that* much of a stretch over that.
    I was surprised to find out how low flu jab take up in Germany was.
    Having checked, it is more like 10 million, but it is only a scaling up rather than orders of magnitude increase needed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    edited April 2020
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

fox327 said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if the informed consent forms are also letting volunteers know about antibody-dependent enhancement in some coronavirus (eg SARS, MERS) vaccines.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6178114/
    Almost certainly, I’d think.
    The risk ought to be pretty low, though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The triumph of Imperial college in this week’s final was pleasing – it’s always pleasing to see an Oxbridge college brought down a peg or two – and the breadth of knowledge displayed was incredibly impressive. But we cannot be expected to believe that there wasn’t a single female student at Imperial or Corpus Christi who could have added to those teams.

I dont need to click to guess... Guardian?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's a vicious circle, ad revenues crater, more people are at home so comment more on websites, more comments/page view means higher serve and comment system costs.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    MattW said:

RobD said:

That shouldn't be *the* major problem, compared to the other majr problems, depending slightly on how complex the vaccine is - eg if it needs multiple jabs.

Each winter around 10 million people are given a flu jab in a small number of months through GPs; it won't be *that* much of a stretch over that. Pressure and work, but doable.
    And they will probably prioritise people getting free flu jabs so can use the same database and maybe both vaccinations at the same time
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

It has to actually pass, and it needs treaty change EU institutions aren't allowed to write their own paper. It has all the same problems as the original premise and now it involves the likes of Sweden and Denmark who are going to be even more opposed than the Netherlands etc...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

When I was watching the final this evening, I thought "I bet the Guardian has the article ready to go."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The Guardian begging letter is plastered everywhere across their coverage at the moment. It is as bad as bloody popups ads that used to plague browsing experience.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

In the US, where I am, it seems most people get their flu jabs either through the pharmacies in the supermarket (all the big name supermarkets have pharmacies) or the big chain pharmacies, such as Walgreen or CVS. I doubt there needs to be any capacity constraints if the UK were to permit pharmacists to administer the shots.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

HYUFD said:
    Megs & Harry still right up there, the Septics evidently don't read British tabloids.

Dunno, I didn't post it.
    I'm assuming the person who did thought that Brenda being the Yanks' favourite royal was worth highlighting.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Guardian begging letter is plastered everywhere across their coverage at the moment. It is as bad as bloody popups ads that used to plague browsing experience.
    It's even more frustrating when you've donated to the Guardian and you still get those bloody pop ups.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

HYUFD said:

Dunno, I didn't post it.
    I'm assuming the person who did thought that Brenda being the Yanks' favourite royal was worth highlighting.
    HYUFD the Monarchist, of course :)
  • Options
    edited April 2020

tlg86 said:

It's not just the G, it's Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Andy_JS said:

Mail have been particularly critical of the government.
    Johnson worked for the Telegraph. That rivalry is more important thatn the interests of the Tory Party.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

When I was watching the final this evening, I thought "I bet the Guardian has the article ready to go."
    Imperial College London 275
    Corpus Christi Cambridge 105

:)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The questions in the final are always that little bit harder than the quarters/semis. I think Imperial had just a bit more knowledge and Wang was unable to guess as much as he had been.
  • Options

MattW said:

RobD said:

And they will probably prioritise people getting free flu jabs so can use the same database and maybe both vaccinations at the same time
    It would more likely be an extension of an effective track and trace program initially, as vaccine supplies will be constrained to start with.
    The ideal would be to ring vaccinate around outbreaks as they were detected. By then, we really ought to have an effective tracking system in place, as well have had the best part of a year to develop it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

It would more likely be an extension of an effective track and trace program initially, as vaccine supplies will be constrained to start with.
    The ideal would be to ring vaccinate around outbreaks as they were detected. By then, we really ought to have an effective tracking system in place, as well have had the best part of a year to develop it.
    Yeah, it'll be targeted first, as well as front-line staff. The plebs will have to wait.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Imperial will take anyone, even girls occasionally.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

It's not just the G, it's Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett.
    If there were equal chance of representation on the teams then the odds against this would be 511:1, wouldn't they? So doesn't she have a point?

• Options
    TimT said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

In the US, where I am, it seems most people get their flu jabs either through the pharmacies in the supermarket (all the big name supermarkets have pharmacies) or the big chain pharmacies, such as Walgreen or CVS. I doubt there needs to be any capacity constraints if the UK were to permit pharmacists to administer the shots.
    It's also an easy one to do - subcutaneous or intramuscular. I did my insulin injections that way for 15 years myself.
  • Options
    There is a fascinating bit of info in that Bloomberg story.

The proposal for the relief fund of a mere EUR1tln is that the Commission will raise the money and administer the cash via a credit line system which takes account of the fact some need money more than others.

All fine and Dandy, until you find out who is backing the fund. The member states of the EU and...er.....the EU BUDGET.

All of which makes for an incredibly fascinating discussion about EU budget contributions in the future

Unless of course you have left the EU - and you don;t owe a bean
  • Options

Hmmmm...

"Ten of the 11 patients involved in the study - which included eight males and three females aged between four months and 71 years old - had "moderate or worse symptoms" of COVID-19."
    It’s a badly written article, which seems to conflate two different things.
    Is there a link to the Chinese paper ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

It has to actually pass, and it needs treaty change EU institutions aren't allowed to write their own paper. It has all the same problems as the original premise and now it involves the likes of Sweden and Denmark who are going to be even more opposed than the Netherlands etc...
    It is proposed by the EU Commision though, so does have widespread support.

We issued Perpetual bonds from the Napoleonic period onwards, but I think they were all paid off by Osborne as I recall.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    MattW said:

TimT said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

It's also an easy one to do - subcutaneous or intramuscular. I did my insulin injections that way for 15 years myself.
    Pharmacists in UK DO administer the vaccine; might not be England-wide..... depends on the CCG. Certainly do in Mid Essex CCG. Usually get mine from the surgery, but I suspect that's habit. Pharmacy is more convenient!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Andy_JS said:

I'm not really interested in personalities at the moment tbh.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.