Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos Mori poll on Scotland

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos Mori poll on Scotland

The fieldwork for this poll was entirely after the publication of the White Paper, and for those wondering if the White Paper had any effect on the electorate, Ipsos-Mori notes

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    There could of course be a link between the narrowing Labour lead in the GB-wide YouGov poll (and other polls) and the decrease in the gap between No and Yes. At the moment it is looking highly unlikely that David Cameron will still be in Number 10 after the next UK GE. But polls, and thus perceptions of likelihood, can change fast. Scots, more than most, know all about rapidly changing opinion polling:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/05/29/could-labours-polling-position-just-evaporate/

If and when the Tories start to draw level with Labour in the Great Britain-wide polling, just watch the transformation in the IndyRef figures. The fact that Cameron's Tories actually need a 7 point lead to win a majority in the HoC is not widely known and appreciated, so simply polling parity will do the trick. In the unlikely event that the Tories get a steady poll lead over Labour prior to September 2014 then people who have been backing No at today's preposterously short 1.14 will start filling their breeks.
  • Options
    The leader of the Scottish Tories: "The party leaders and our own MSPs agree that this pay rise would be unacceptable. I haven't had a pay rise as an MSP, and nor do I expect one. MSPs are public servants, and it's wrong that they should freeze the pay of – or give a 1% rise to – other public sector workers while increasing their own by considerably more."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/09/scottish-parliament-rejects-westminster-pay-rises

Compare and contrast:

'David Cameron will not rule out taking 11 per cent MP pay increase'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10505812/David-Cameron-will-not-rule-out-taking-11-per-cent-MP-pay-increase.html

David Cameron: the only politician who can make Ruth Davidson look competent.

David Cameron is the elephant in the IndyRef room.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

The leader of the Scottish Tories: "The party leaders and our own MSPs agree that this pay rise would be unacceptable. I haven't had a pay rise as an MSP, and nor do I expect one. MSPs are public servants, and it's wrong that they should freeze the pay of – or give a 1% rise to – other public sector workers while increasing their own by considerably more."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/09/scottish-parliament-rejects-westminster-pay-rises

Compare and contrast:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10505812/David-Cameron-will-not-rule-out-taking-11-per-cent-MP-pay-increase.html

Not a line I'd take, if I were you:

MSPs get paid £53,091 pa.
    MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Given the vastly wider remit of Westminster MPs, it is obvious that MSPs are hideously overpaid and are supping on the taxpayer's tit whilst dining on the gravy train.

Or perhaps the salaries are not high enough for what is a very important job.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    To place a somewhat festive note on this independence polling I'd have to say that the SNP's goose has been well and truly stuffed and cooked.

More brussel sprouts Rector ??
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Given the vastly wider remit of Westminster MPs, it is obvious that MSPs are hideously overpaid and are supping on the taxpayer's tit whilst dining on the gravy train.

The salaries are ridiculously low. Well, if you pay peanuts, you get.......... Not surprisingly, that is usually what we get.

The stupid comment that they should be paid like ordinary people is exactly stupid. MP's [ some later on, Ministers, PM ] are not expected to take "normal" decisions.

What did an MP get paid in 1980 vs other public servants of the same salary in those days.

What are the comparisons today ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

The salaries are ridiculously low. Well, if you pay peanuts, you get.......... Not surprisingly, that is usually what we get.

The stupid comment that they should be paid like ordinary people is exactly stupid. MP's [ some later on, Ministers, PM ] are not expected to take "normal" decisions.

What did an MP get paid in 1980 vs other public servants of the same salary in those days.

I utterly agree. Unfortunately, the battle has been lost and the chances of MPs getting realistic pay for the responsibility are low.
  • Options
    The job of MP as it is customarily performed is pretty low grade, though the hours are long. No need to pay them much.

Ministers, however, are ridiculously underpaid.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The job of MP as it is customarily performed is pretty low grade, though the hours are long. No need to pay them much.

Are you just talking about their role in parliament, or in the constituency as well?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I think MPs pay is about right - those overpaid are the rest - doctors, civil and other public sector workers at management level.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop their role as it is currently performed in total. They invest lots of time in their constituencies because they see that as time spent for their personal benefit. They don't need much financial encouragement to do that.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    One thing that may not be appreciated in England is just how much public money has been and is being spent on the white paper. On the trip taking my kids to school, which is about 5 miles, there are 3 separate posters promoting the White Paper as Scotland's future.

It would be surprising if this largesse was not having some effect on the polls. It is also surprising so little is being said about it.
  • Options
    On Scotland I've had a gut feeling for ages that it'll be close and Yes might squeak it. People vote with their instincts not on a pros and cons list, and a once in a lifetime opportunity to go it alone will be tempting even though it's clearly a risk.

On MPs pay I have plenty of sympathy. For the job they do and the hours and the pressure, the pay is low. However politically is beyond stupidity when ordinary people have less and less.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

We've had this debate before.

Grade comparisons are the worst way to determine salaries as it inevitably leads to a ratchet effect.
  • Options
    Interesting one in the Mail - praising foreign workers while bashing benefits Brits:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521076/The-bosses-love-jobs-Brits-werent-LAZY.html
  • Options
    More voters inclined to vote NO, after publication of the White Paper?

So, not the game changer it was cracked up to be then. - Unfortunate!
  • Options
    Is there a shortage of people wanting to become MPs? Are there in fact people willing to spend huge amounts of unpaid time trying to get the position? Are there any professional qualifications for the job other than a desperate desire to hear one's own voice?

We have far too many backbench MPs and they are certainly not underpaid for what they contribute. I would actually cut their salaries but have more salaries attached to committees and other posts by which they contribute to the work of the HoC. If this means they have less time to be unqualified social workers and redirect their priorities so much the better.
  • Options

You are wilfully misunderstanding the findings. But, by all means, keep up the good work! ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Nice to see a couple of extra quid in my Betfair account courtesy of Nigel4England calling I'm a celeb perfectly. Didn't watch a minute ;)
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Huh? You clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Just compare the workload of a Labour MSP with a Labour MP for a Scottish constituency (Labour ones are the fairest comparison as they are all in opposition). The Labour MSP has ten times the workload of the Labour MP, yet the MP get paid more.

• Options
    JackW said:

To place a somewhat festive note on this independence polling I'd have to say that the SNP's goose has been well and truly stuffed and cooked.

Complacency post Nr. 2341
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Just compare the workload of a Labour MSP with a Labour MP for a Scottish constituency (Labour ones are the fairest comparison as they are all in opposition). The Labour MSP has ten times the workload of the Labour MP, yet the MP get paid more.

ten times ? ten times ?

you don't think that might be a bit exaggerated Stuart, you know poetic licence writ large ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

I thought that would be your reply. ;-)

Evidence please, for your assertion.

(Edit: in fact, both Scottish MPs and Labour MPs should get less, as the constituency workload is split between them).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nice to see a couple of extra quid in my Betfair account courtesy of Nigel4England calling I'm a celeb perfectly. Didn't watch a minute ;)

Same here - £250 profit on laying Joey and backing David for top 3....

Next for my Yvette bet to come in.
  • Options

JackW said:

I doubt anyone here is thinking the Indyref won't be closer than current polling, turnout differential alone might make it that way. On the other hand every time there's a poll where Yes gets a point or two movement we've been told this is the turning point and it's Scotland the brave at full volume. The problem is after 2 years of a campaign it's like the boy who cried wolf - fundamentally the polls haven't moved much in those 2 years. Now maybe yes will come back with a cracking campaign but so far they haven't motivated anyone much beyond their own supporters and until there is some consisitent and major movement a lot of what we have is just background noise.
  • Options

On Scotland I've had a gut feeling for ages that it'll be close and Yes might squeak it. People vote with their instincts not on a pros and cons list, and a once in a lifetime opportunity to go it alone will be tempting even though it's clearly a risk.

On MPs pay I have plenty of sympathy. For the job they do and the hours and the pressure, the pay is low. However politically is beyond stupidity when ordinary people have less and less.

Your post is far too much common sense for the clientele around here. Most of them are the pigs, or aspiring pigs, or former pigs, with their snouts firmly stuffed in the trough.

They believe what they want to believe. The real world very rarely impinges their view.
  • Options

JackW said:

... every time there's a poll where Yes gets a point or two movement we've been told this is the turning point and it's Scotland the brave at full volume.
    Straw Man attack Nr. 45,829

• Options
    Lol... Seriously Ketamine is classified as a class C drug whereas pot is a class B. Whatever your thoughts on drug policy that is seriously bonkers, the only people who should have ketamine are large animal vets.
  • Options

JackW said:

... every time there's a poll where Yes gets a point or two movement we've been told this is the turning point and it's Scotland the brave at full volume.

I've got to say Stuart sometimes you're your own worst enemy. The exaggeration for effect doesn't have an effect if it's used all the time. It's like Londoners who always like to big things up so that eventually no-one listens to what they're saying, toning it down a bit would help what you say. Twinned with cockney bullshitters and it's still breakfast time.
  • Options

There could of course be a link between the narrowing Labour lead in the GB-wide YouGov poll (and other polls) and the decrease in the gap between No and Yes. At the moment it is looking highly unlikely that David Cameron will still be in Number 10 after the next UK GE. But polls, and thus perceptions of likelihood, can change fast. Scots, more than most, know all about rapidly changing opinion polling:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/05/29/could-labours-polling-position-just-evaporate/

Yes, polls can move fast in Scotland. There was a poll in Scotland shortly before the 2001 GE which had the LDs on 9% and the SNP on 27%. The result six weeks later was LDs 16%, SNP 20%.
  • Options
    For all you complacency fans out there:
    Of the 46 referendums held worldwide since 1905, 42 have resulted in a new independent country being formed – with two of the remaining four “no” results later reversed.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/252253/Scots-referendum-yes-10-times-more-likely-to-succeed

Next time you see Alistair Darling with a furrowed brow, remember that sentence.
  • Options

Yes, polls can move fast in Scotland. There was a poll in Scotland shortly before the 2001 GE which had the LDs on 9% and the SNP on 27%. The result six weeks later was LDs 16%, SNP 20%.
    Keep believing Alan. I'm sure that you are right: all is well with the SLDs. It'll turn out alright on the night.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2013

You are wilfully misunderstanding the findings. But, by all means, keep up the good work! ;)
    I stand corrected, it is a marvellous poll result for the White Paper..!

I feel your pain Mr Dickson. : )
  • Options

JackW said:

I've got to say Stuart sometimes you're your own worst enemy. The exaggeration for effect doesn't have an effect if it's used all the time. It's like Londoners who always like to big things up so that eventually no-one listens to what they're saying, toning it down a bit would help what you say. Twinned with cockney bullshitters and it's still breakfast time.
    So, I contend that Labour MSPs have ten times the workload of Scottish Labour MPs, and that makes me a cockney bullshitter? Impressive.

The only people who could settle the matter are Labour MSPs and MPs, and neither are likely to post here.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: the double points gimmick is cretinous, but at least the two mandatory pit stop idiocy has been voted down:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25310485

No weight limit change, sadly.
  • Options

I stand corrected, it is a marvellous poll result for the White Paper - I feel your pain Mr Dickson.

: )
    That is also a wilfully misunderstanding of the findings. But, by all means, keep up the good work! ;)

(It was also Straw Man attack Nr. 45,830.)
  • Options

JackW said:

So, I contend that Labour MSPs have ten times the workload of Scottish Labour MPs, and that makes me a cockney bullshitter? Impressive.

The only people who could settle the matter are Labour MSPs and MPs, and neither are likely to post here.
    precisely neither of us knows and in all likelihood the differential in workload isn't a factor of ten, for a start off there aren't enough hours in the day for the maths to fit.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Good morning, everyone.

F1: the double points gimmick is cretinous, but at least the two mandatory pit stop idiocy has been voted down:

I know the best way to improve F1. Give every bloke the same car, dump the stupid circuits upon which you cannot overtake, and see who wins.
    It's a potentially great sport ruined by a surfeit of rules and the idiots who run it.

• Options
    Yesterday it was Sarah Palin doing her bit to boost the Yes vote. Today it is Boris Johnson.
    Raising the prospect of how a Yes vote next year might impact on the rest of the United Kingdom, the Mayor of London ridiculed the prospect of a “former United Kingdom” – or “F UK” – trying to sell itself across the world. “What the F UK do we think we are doing?” he asked.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-boris-johnson-backs-union-1-3226394
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Gordon Brown doesn't do much for his salary. I am sure the MSP has ten times the workload.

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

ten times ? ten times ?

you don't think that might be a bit exaggerated Stuart, you know poetic licence writ large ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Josias, take off your union jack underwear now and again. All the supping at taxpayer expense is done at Westminster. Holyrood has one small restaurant unlike Westminster's vast array of subsidised bars and restaurants.
    Would you like to compare the cost of running the trough at Westminster with Holyrood.
  • Options

Yesterday it was Sarah Palin doing her bit to boost the Yes vote. Today it is Boris Johnson.

Raising the prospect of how a Yes vote next year might impact on the rest of the United Kingdom, the Mayor of London ridiculed the prospect of a “former United Kingdom” – or “F UK” – trying to sell itself across the world. “What the F UK do we think we are doing?” he asked.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-boris-johnson-backs-union-1-3226394

Right just remind us is this a good thing ( SE Tory interferes in Indyref ) or a bad thing ( SE Tory interferes in Indyref ).

Maybe Eck could debate Boris, at least it would gives us all a laugh.
  • Options

JackW said:

precisely neither of us knows and in all likelihood the differential in workload isn't a factor of ten, for a start off there aren't enough hours in the day for the maths to fit.

You are assuming that the Scottish Labour MP does any work whatsoever on an average day. A laughable assumption.
  • Options
    Mr. Ajob, half-agree. Car development's always been a part of the sport, so I'd keep it.

I agree with you regarding processional circuits, particularly new circuits and Monaco. Reducing aerodynamics and better circuit design would go a long way towards increasing natural overtaking. Excepting Texas (and perhaps the now defunct Turkey) every modern circuit seems utterly flat and with medium pace corners through which overtaking can't occur because of dirty air.

The FIA seem to be doing their best to bugger their golden goose.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Exactly , for most of them they could be replaced by monkeys. A few ministers make decisions and the monkeys are told how to vote. £200K minimum a year with expenses and gold plated pension for making the odd vote seems pretty good and they are never short of takers.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

Josias, take off your union jack underwear now and again. All the supping at taxpayer expense is done at Westminster. Holyrood has one small restaurant unlike Westminster's vast array of subsidised bars and restaurants.
    Would you like to compare the cost of running the trough at Westminster with Holyrood.
    "take off your union jack underwear now and again"

Who says I don't go around Commando? ;-)

I'd love to compare the running costs. Do you have the figures (excluding the HoL)?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Good morning, everyone.

I know the best way to improve F1. Give every bloke the same car, dump the stupid circuits upon which you cannot overtake, and see who wins.
    It's a potentially great sport ruined by a surfeit of rules and the idiots who run it.

Make them change their own tyres and queue for fuel like the rest of us.
  • Options

JackW said:

You are assuming that the Scottish Labour MP does any work whatsoever on an average day. A laughable assumption.
    You're assuming an MSP does some work which is equally as laughable.
  • Options

JackW said:

Wonder if he will eat one of his own humble pies when proven extremely stupid.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    A couple of hopefully less tribal QuestiOns for the Nats:

1- Do you accept that if the vote was tomorrow with this kind of polling then it would be a big vote for no?
    2- can YES win without forming a coalition with people in other parties?
    3-can you see hOw this might happen? The only MSP I've seen so far to come out as a rebel is a Green who is supporting no.

It looks to me that the yes campaign face a huge challenge in reaching non-SNP voters, I'd like no know what the strategy is to peel off e.g. labour voters as they look like the deciding group to me.
  • Options
    Hmm, that Express article on past referenda worldwide looks like rubbish. Independence options have been defeated in referenda in Quebec(twice), Bermuda, New Caledonia, Saba, Sint Maarten, Guam, Bonaire, French Somaliland, to name a few. They also failed to reach required majorities in others such as Nevis. Plenty that passed referenda, such as the Faroes and Western Australia, did not ultimately become independent states.
  • Options

JackW said:

Alan, Given the Labour MP's do nothing other than prop up the bar , it would be extremely easy to do 10 times the work. Would be easy if MSP's were only turning up minimum time to work in chamber by my reckoning. Given most of teh Labour MP's don't even bother turning up to vote.
  • Options

JackW said:

Well, the Labour MSP will have a very heavy workload based on housing, social work, healthcare, law and order, prisons, transport, pre-schools, schools, training and tertiary education, environmental issues, leisure and sport, rural affairs and planning.

In some constituencies housing problems alone will account for many hours per week.

• Options
    tpfkar said:

1- Do you accept that if the vote was tomorrow with this kind of polling then it would be a big vote for no?
    3-can you see hOw this might happen? The only MSP I've seen so far to come out as a rebel is a Green who is supporting no.

It looks to me that the yes campaign face a huge challenge in reaching non-SNP voters, I'd like no know what the strategy is to peel off e.g. labour voters as they look like the deciding group to me.

1. Yes (although not convinced about your word "big")
    2. No (and please note that such coalitions already exist)
    3. A few seconds Googling will help you out

Spot on: Labour voters are the key swing group in the IndyRef.

I can understand that you would like us to explain Yes strategy. But, as I'm sure you can understand, we prefer to let you find out the hard way. ;)
  • Options

JackW said:

Well, the Labour MSP will have a very heavy workload based on housing, social work, healthcare, law and order, prisons, transport, pre-schools, schools, training and tertiary education, environmental issues, leisure and sport, rural affairs and planning.

In some constituencies housing problems alone will account for many hours per week.

And the other guy doesn't do anything you're saying ? I'd understood one of the difficulties in the regional parlts was voters turning as much to their MP as to their local representative. So the claim that the MP does nothing seems a bit suspect. Furthermore weren't Scots saying MSPs weren't spending enough time on the bread and butter issues in a recent poll ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

I'd love to compare the running costs. Do you have the figures (excluding the HoL)?
    They do not like publishing how much Westminster costs so you will need to uplift those costs.

In 2008 Westminster was circa £500M excluding HOL. Same year for Holyrood was £72M.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Increasingly desperate stufff from the Yessers...I hope their canvassers have better answers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is there a shortage of people wanting to become MPs? Are there in fact people willing to spend huge amounts of unpaid time trying to get the position? Are there any professional qualifications for the job other than a desperate desire to hear one's own voice?

We have far too many backbench MPs and they are certainly not underpaid for what they contribute. I would actually cut their salaries but have more salaries attached to committees and other posts by which they contribute to the work of the HoC. If this means they have less time to be unqualified social workers and redirect their priorities so much the better.

We have far too many MPs, ministers and members of the Lords. There would be no great loss cutting the numbers in the lower house to 400, the upper house (reformed and elected) to 150, and of the government to 70.

As for pay, I agree with those who say that MPs' pay is about right for the job whereas ministers are underpaid.

That said, we shouldn't be paying 'the going rate'. Serving in parliament is a public service and should be recognised as such. Were the government a private business, its executive chairman (which is essentially what the PM is), would probably have an annual salary of £5m+ going by the salaries of major UK companies and how much bigger the government is. Now, I'd certainly agree that £150k or so is on the low side but not by a huge amount. Something in the £200k-£250k seems about right to me. Not that now would be an ideal time to change it, politically.

I reject the monkeys and peanuts argument. If you pay gold, you get the avaricious (or perhaps, auricious). I don't believe there are many who are put off by the salaries. There might be quite a few put off by the demands and nature of the job, the demands of campaigning before it, or the attendant scrutiny that comes with it but those are different matters.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

1. I doubt it would look anything like the polls
    2. It is not about parties , the key will be how many Labour voters go for YES
    3. They will not break cover till the tide has well turned, majority of the labour grandees will protect their jobs first.
  • Options
    RandomRandom Posts: 107
    antifrank said:

Hmm, that Express article on past referenda worldwide looks like rubbish. Independence options have been defeated in referenda in Quebec(twice), Bermuda, New Caledonia, Saba, Sint Maarten, Guam, Bonaire, French Somaliland, to name a few. They also failed to reach required majorities in others such as Nevis. Plenty that passed referenda, such as the Faroes and Western Australia, did not ultimately become independent states.

It doesn't just look like rubbish, it is. In addition to the ones you've already mentioned, Puerto Rico has had up to half a dozen "status referendums" in the last 50 or so in which the choices were the status quo, statehood, and, yes, independence. Independence was rejected, usually by big majorities, in every one and in the last referendum held last year (which will probably be the last ever) PR voted for statehood. Incidentally if any cybernats try to discount the validity of a three option referendum in a survey of this sort it should be noted that a three option referendum (status quo, devomax, independence) was actually Salmond's preferred form of referendum.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Compare and contrast:

MPs get paid £66,396 pa.

FM gets £129,998 pa.
    PM gets £142,000 pa.

They do not like publishing how much Westminster costs so you will need to uplift those costs.

In 2008 Westminster was circa £500M excluding HOL. Same year for Holyrood was £72M.
    So Westminster has more powers and has powers over 60 million people. Holyrood has partial powers over 5 million. Per head, that is around £8 per head for Westminster, and £14 per head for Holyrood, for much less responsibility.

These are very rough figures, but they seem to show that Holyrood costs much more per head.

Scottish MSPs: fleecing Scottish taxpayers. ;-)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So the Scottish parliament costs one seventh as much as Westminster, despite representing only about a twelfth as many people and having no responsibility for defence, foreign policy, etc. and only limited responsibility for budget and treasury matters? I'm not sure "vote independence - our parliament costs twice as much!" is precisely the message you want to send...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

tpfkar said:

1. I doubt it would look anything like the polls
    2. It is not about parties , the key will be how many Labour voters go for YES
    3. They will not break cover till the tide has well turned, majority of the labour grandees will protect their jobs first.
    1. So why are the polls wrong (and consistently wrong)?
    2. But the SNP have made it about parties by conflating Yes with an SNP manifesto in the White Paper.
    3. How will the tide turn if Yes is stuck fishing in an insufficiently large pond because it doesn't have the rods (i.e. personnel) to fish in other ones?
  • Options
    FPT, R0berts,

If you are trying to base a swingback theory on historical polling data, you need to interpret the data better!

November and December 2008 were Labour's best polling months in the whole of 2008/2009, with an average deficit of 8.5 and 4.6 points respectively. If you took December in isolation then you would postulate that there was a swing away from the government in the latters stages of the parliament!

However, the Conservative lead averaged 17.6, 15.7 and 11.6 in the three preceding months and 11.4, 14.3, 11.5, 14.9, 16.6, 14.6, 15, 15.7 and 12.8 in the first nine months of 2009. Taking the data as a whole, two things are clear: (i) there was a marked swingback to the Government from the mid-term polling; (ii) the swingback occurred well within the last 17 months.

The real question, though, is whether this tells us anything useful? I don't think it does, other than to dismiss your idea that it hasn't happened in the past. Based on average opinion polls during 2001-2005 there was very little swingback (unless, like you, one takes a very selective approach to your data). This time there could be none, or a lot, we simply don't know.

The swingback that occured in 2010 may have been influenced by a number of things, including the nature of the election campaign (in which there was a working assumption that the Conservatives would win and they were scrutinised accordingly), the Conservative's relatively poor campaign, Mandelson's very effective campaign, unwinding of some of the post-expenses polling bubble, and the innate dislike a large portion of the public have for the Tories. None of those (except, perhaps, the latter) will be exactly replicated in the next election. Instead we will have new drivers, which might, for example, include 2010 Lib Dems returning home and UKIP deflating (good for the Tories), a UKIP surge (good for Labour) and a stellar campaign by any of the big parties. We have not seen more than a glimpse of Labour's intended policies and they may be cheered to the rafters or openly heckled.

What should keep Labour awake at night is not the fear of dramatic swingback, but the slow erosion of their lead. We are still in mid-term, not campaign, mode, and their once steady double-digit lead has been steadily whittled down to mid-single figures.
  • Options
    Born in 1949, elected in 1992, Andrew Miller becomes the 16th Lab MP to announce retirement. He leaves a 9.8% maj in Ellesmere Port & Neston
  • Options

I doubt anyone here is thinking the Indyref won't be closer than current polling, turnout differential alone might make it that way.

Eh? Up until quite recently the common theme on here was that the No/Yes ratio would be at least 2-1, maybe 3-1, though as usual the proponents of such notions would scamper off if offered a bet. Perhaps the caesura in such silliness should tell you something about the changing weather.

• Options
    Random said:

Incidentally if any cybernats try to discount the validity of a three option referendum in a survey of this sort it should be noted that a three option referendum (status quo, devomax, independence) was actually Salmond's preferred form of referendum.

Link please.

• Options

JackW said:

And the other guy doesn't do anything you're saying ? I'd understood one of the difficulties in the regional parlts was voters turning as much to their MP as to their local representative. So the claim that the MP does nothing seems a bit suspect. Furthermore weren't Scots saying MSPs weren't spending enough time on the bread and butter issues in a recent poll ?
    Voters often contact the MPs office, but they are then usually directly referred to the MSPs offices or the councillors' offices, as most constutuent matters are not the remit of the MP.
  • Options
    Random said:

antifrank said:

Incidentally if any cybernats try to discount the validity of a three option referendum in a survey of this sort it should be noted that a three option referendum (status quo, devomax, independence) was actually Salmond's preferred form of referendum.
    That is just a straightforward "untruth". It is unclear why you feel the need to tell such glaring porkies.
  • Options

I doubt anyone here is thinking the Indyref won't be closer than current polling, turnout differential alone might make it that way.

Eh? Up until quite recently the common theme on here was that the No/Yes ratio would be at least 2-1, maybe 3-1, though as usual the proponents of such notions would scamper off if offered a bet. Perhaps the caesura in such silliness should tell you something about the changing weather.

They have very short memories. They can't even remember their own propaganda line. They really ought to listen very, very carefully to what Darling is telling the No troops, as their work here at PB is directly counterproductive.
  • Options
    We really need to pay our MPs more. Look at yesterday, the quality of the tribute and anecdotes about Mandela could have been so much better expressed if MPs got their £100K a year plus dodgy expenses.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    And the good news continues with this month's Production Index

Key findings:

The seasonally adjusted index increased by 3.2% between October 2012 and October 2013. There were increases of 2.7% in manufacturing, 13.4% in mining & quarrying and 8.8% in the water supply, sewerage & waste management sector. Offsetting these increases was a decrease of 9.9% in the electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning sector.

There was an increase of 0.4% in the index of production between September 2013 and October 2013. There were increases of 0.4% in manufacturing; 1.8% in the water, sewerage & waste management sector; and 0.9% in the electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning sector. Offsetting these increases was a decrease of 1.1% in the mining & quarrying sector.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Key findings:

The seasonally adjusted index increased by 3.2% between October 2012 and October 2013. There were increases of 2.7% in manufacturing, 13.4% in mining & quarrying and 8.8% in the water supply, sewerage & waste management sector. Offsetting these increases was a decrease of 9.9% in the electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning sector.

There was an increase of 0.4% in the index of production between September 2013 and October 2013. There were increases of 0.4% in manufacturing; 1.8% in the water, sewerage & waste management sector; and 0.9% in the electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning sector. Offsetting these increases was a decrease of 1.1% in the mining & quarrying sector.

Good to see the nation starting to graft again (as opposed to just claiming benefits or shopping)
  • Options
    Trade figures stable over month but weak over three month average

Key findings:

The deficit of trade in goods and services for October 2013 was £2.6 billion, unchanged from the revised September 2013 estimate.

The deficit on trade in goods was £9.7 billion in October 2013. The trade position reflects exports minus imports. Exports of goods decreased by 1.3% between September and October 2013 to £24.7 billion. Imports for the same period fell by 1.9% to £34.4 billion.

Exports of erratics, which are defined as ships, aircrafts, precious stones and silver, increased by 24.9% between September 2013 and October 2013. Trade in oil can also be volatile, and this month exports of oil decreased by 11.7%.

In October 2013, exports of goods to the European Union (EU) decreased by £0.5 billion to £12.1 billion, with half of the decrease attributed to oil. Imports from the EU decreased by £0.2 billion to £18.5 billion. Overall the trade in goods balance with the EU reached a record high deficit of £6.5 billion.

In October 2013, exports of goods to countries outside of the EU increased by £0.2 billion to £12.6 billion. Imports decreased by £0.5 billion to £15.8 billion.

And on a three month basis:

The deficit on trade in goods increased by £2.9 billion to £29.5 billion in the three months to October 2013, when compared with the previous three months. Exports of goods in the three months to October 2013 decreased by 4.1% to £74.9 billion but were 1.1% higher when compared with the same three months in 2012. Imports of goods decreased by 0.3% in the three months to October 2013 to £104.4 billion but were 1.5% higher when compared with the same three months in 2012.

Exports to countries within the EU decreased by 5.6% to £37.5 billion in the three months to October 2013, reflecting a fall in oil exports. Exports to countries outside the EU fell by 2.6% to £37.4 billion in the same period. Imports from EU countries increased 1.7% in the three months to October 2013. Imports from countries outside of the EU decreased by 2.5% in the latest three months and by 3.1% on the same three months in 2012.

Main picture is of rapidly falling oil and gas exports/production and a weak Eurozone economy continuing to depress UK exports. Revisions upward to the balance of trade in Services and trade outside the EU are strong and mitigate the negative pressures but are not sufficient to balance them out.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    AveryLP said:

Key findings:

An almost Stalinist recitation of statistics from George Osborne's number 1 fan. I can imagine Avery standing up at the People's Congress and receiving prolonged applause for that - all that's missing is the glorious 11% increase in tractor production.

Percentages - don't you just love them. They can make anything sound impressive if you have no idea what the start and end numbers are.

• Options
    On IndyRef: Not really much change in this latest poll, it's well within the range we've seen over quite a long period. I don't think that's at all surprising; the White Paper was never going to have a sudden impact on changing people's minds.

Whether it marks the start of a shift over the next few months remains to be seen, but I do think that the idea that Scots will make a historic decision to end a 300-year union on the short-term basis of prejudice against David Cameron is particularly amusing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Anecdote..A friend of mine who is extremely left wing and is constantly pointing out to anyone who will listen that the Austerity program is causing hardship and poverty across the country ,is now complaining he couldn't find a parking place in his local,Yorkshire ,town at the weekend because it was full of people going ..errr..shopping
  • Options
    @TUD I still think 2/1 is the par result from here.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Anecdote..A friend of mine who is extremely left wing and is constantly pointing out to anyone who will listen that the Austerity program is causing hardship and poverty across the country ,is now complaining he couldn't find a parking place in his local,Yorkshire ,town at the weekend because it was full of people going ..errr..shopping

Blimey. I guess the coalition are taking credit for Christmas now.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    AveryLP said:

Key findings:

The deficit of trade in goods and services for October 2013 was £2.6 billion, unchanged from the revised September 2013 estimate.

The deficit on trade in goods was £9.7 billion in October 2013. The trade position reflects exports minus imports. Exports of goods decreased by 1.3% between September and October 2013 to £24.7 billion. Imports for the same period fell by 1.9% to £34.4 billion.

Exports of erratics, which are defined as ships, aircrafts, precious stones and silver, increased by 24.9% between September 2013 and October 2013. Trade in oil can also be volatile, and this month exports of oil decreased by 11.7%.

In October 2013, exports of goods to the European Union (EU) decreased by £0.5 billion to £12.1 billion, with half of the decrease attributed to oil. Imports from the EU decreased by £0.2 billion to £18.5 billion. Overall the trade in goods balance with the EU reached a record high deficit of £6.5 billion.

In October 2013, exports of goods to countries outside of the EU increased by £0.2 billion to £12.6 billion. Imports decreased by £0.5 billion to £15.8 billion.

The deficit on trade in goods increased by £2.9 billion to £29.5 billion in the three months to October 2013, when compared with the previous three months. Exports of goods in the three months to October 2013 decreased by 4.1% to £74.9 billion but were 1.1% higher when compared with the same three months in 2012. Imports of goods decreased by 0.3% in the three months to October 2013 to £104.4 billion but were 1.5% higher when compared with the same three months in 2012.

Exports to countries within the EU decreased by 5.6% to £37.5 billion in the three months to October 2013, reflecting a fall in oil exports. Exports to countries outside the EU fell by 2.6% to £37.4 billion in the same period. Imports from EU countries increased 1.7% in the three months to October 2013. Imports from countries outside of the EU decreased by 2.5% in the latest three months and by 3.1% on the same three months in 2012.

Main picture is of rapidly falling oil and gas exports/production and a weak Eurozone economy continuing to depress UK exports. Revisions upward to the balance of trade in Services and trade outside the EU are strong and mitigate the negative pressures but are not sufficient to balance them out.

Our current account deficit is shocking, Avery. It makes me wince and doesn't seem to be improving.

The Cons need to get a grip of this and quickly. I'm not a million percent sure they can do it without a rate rise which of course has other negative consequences.
  • Options
    In another parallel universe... Shattering news, The Prime Minister David Cameron is going thin on top.....Oh noooo..
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    Lord Ashcroft demurs:

Nothing really new here, Ashcroft denies that he said most kippers are disgruntled tories, etc....

It's the polls that count! Where have I heard that one before?

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2013/12/counting-the-kippers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=counting-the-kippers&utm_source=Lord+Ashcroft+Polls&utm_campaign=9f7614efe0-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b70c7aec0a-9f7614efe0-66760489
  • Options
    Morning all :)

I won't comment on the specifics of the referendum poll except to say it's encouraging to see such a high projected turnout. A high turnout (certainly over 80%) would add legitimacy to the result whichever way it goes.

Christmas shopping anecdotes - marvellous. Well, the Sainsbury's at Beckton was very busy on Saturday afternoon (but then it always is) and Wimbledon was quite busy on Sunday (but then two weekends before Christmas you'd be surprised if it wasn't). Nice afternoon weather-wise helped as well. Can't deduce much from that one way or the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

Key findings:

An almost Stalinist recitation of statistics from George Osborne's number 1 fan. I can imagine Avery standing up at the People's Congress and receiving prolonged applause for that - all that's missing is the glorious 11% increase in tractor production.

Percentages - don't you just love them. They can make anything sound impressive if you have no idea what the start and end numbers are.

Now, now Stodgius.

You want some bad news?

Here you go then:

From Germany via digitallook:

Industrial production in Germany registered a surprise drop for the month of October, though the Ministry of Economy forecasts an expansion in the coming months.

The figure unexpectedly fell 1.2% on the month, after a revised contraction of 0.7% in September. The consensus had been looking for a 0.8% rise.

The German Economy Ministry admitted that it was a “weak start” to the fourth quarter, but noted that industry orders continued their upward trend and sentiment indicators signalled a growing confidence in the economy.

“Therefore, the manufacturing sector is like to expand production in the coming months”, the Ministry said in the report.

Now what was that you were saying about me being George Osborne's No 1 fan?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Taking credit for Christmas... I think you will find that it was the work of an angel,a carpenter and his wife.
  • Options
    Interesting play of the widow vs. incumbent in Saffer politics.

Winnie winning here.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 8m
    It appears Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown are missing the start of the Mandela memorial - stuck in traffic.

Ooops....
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@TUD I still think 2/1 is the par result from here.

Would you bet on that, charity or otherwise?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Key findings:

It is almost impossible to improve the balance of trade situation when France aspires to 0.1% growth for the year, some in the EZ cannot even manage that and our economy is growing by 0.8% a quarter. Demand in the UK is inevitably stronger than in our major customer at the moment.

Having said that my guess is that over time this gap will narrow somewhat because we will find more exported services but it will remain huge and unsustainable. Either we improve our competiveness or our growth will fade. It is that simple.

One of the more important aspects of the Autumn Statement was the massive increase in export credit guarantees. If we are to maintain our standard of living in this country and are to continue spending anything like what we do on the NHS, benefits and pensions we must export more. Lots more. I don't think some pig semen going to China is going to cover it.

The wilful disregard of the balance of payments on the basis that it did not matter in a modern economy was not the least of Brown's mistakes.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

It appears Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown are missing the start of the Mandela memorial - stuck in traffic.

Ooops....

Or wasted too much time looking for President of USA in the kitchen and broom cupboard.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25273024

Comic Relief money invested in arms and tobacco shares !

Red guns and fags day.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Now, now Stodgius.

You want some bad news?

Here you go then:

From Germany via digitallook:

Industrial production in Germany registered a surprise drop for the month of October, though the Ministry of Economy forecasts an expansion in the coming months.

The figure unexpectedly fell 1.2% on the month, after a revised contraction of 0.7% in September. The consensus had been looking for a 0.8% rise.

The German Economy Ministry admitted that it was a “weak start” to the fourth quarter, but noted that industry orders continued their upward trend and sentiment indicators signalled a growing confidence in the economy.

“Therefore, the manufacturing sector is like to expand production in the coming months”, the Ministry said in the report.

Now what was that you were saying about me being George Osborne's No 1 fan?

I was merely noting that your recitation of statistics without baselines or context would have been roundly cheered at any People's Congress in Beijing or Pyongyang. It illustrates the parallels and similarities in politics that aren't far below the surface and that any good propagandist sounds the same whatever the ideology.
  • Options

Ooops....

Visions of the John Cleese film 'clockwise' spring to mind
  • Options
    @TUD If you frame a bet sensibly, I'd consider it for charity. I don't bet for reasons of machismo though, and I can get under 39% at 5/6 with Ladbrokes already.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Ooops....

Too late , too slow.

• Options

Random said:

Link please.

To what?
  • Options
    Random said:

Random said:

Link please.

To what?
    To evidence which would support your glaring porkie.
  • Options

Random said:

antifrank said:

That is just a straightforward "untruth". It is unclear why you feel the need to tell such glaring porkies.
    I've been called a liar by better men than you, and I've called them on it as well. I'd be tempted to say put up or shut up, except that if you're really now claiming that Salmond never spent a considerable amount of time trying to get a two question referendum that offered those three options (no to both questions delivers status quo, yes to one delivers independence, yes to the other delivers devomax), then it would be pointless as you're the one with issues with reality, not me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/9563048/Alex-Salmond-admits-defeat-over-Scottish-independence-referendum-rules.html
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Random said:

Random said:

Link please.

To what?
    To evidence which would support your glaring porkie.
    What porkie? See previous reply, to your last post calling me a liar. What is it with Cybernats today?
  • Options
    Random said:

Random said:

Link please.

To what?
    I didn't think it was that complicated. A link to a statement or declaration from Salmond or the SNP that 'a three option referendum (status quo, devomax, independence) was actually Salmond's preferred form of referendum'.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

Key findings:

It is almost impossible to improve the balance of trade situation when France aspires to 0.1% growth for the year, some in the EZ cannot even manage that and our economy is growing by 0.8% a quarter. Demand in the UK is inevitably stronger than in our major customer at the moment.

Having said that my guess is that over time this gap will narrow somewhat because we will find more exported services but it will remain huge and unsustainable. Either we improve our competiveness or our growth will fade. It is that simple.

One of the more important aspects of the Autumn Statement was the massive increase in export credit guarantees. If we are to maintain our standard of living in this country and are to continue spending anything like what we do on the NHS, benefits and pensions we must export more. Lots more. I don't think some pig semen going to China is going to cover it.

The wilful disregard of the balance of payments on the basis that it did not matter in a modern economy was not the least of Brown's mistakes.
    Little to add here, David.

The decline in oil and gas production is the single biggest reason for the decline in exports and rise in imports. 'Get fracking!' must be the response to that even if all it achieves is import substitution.

The areas targetted by the government are performing well - exports outside the EU, services, high-priority competitive lead industries - but the manufacturing base from which export goods derives starts from an historically low level and will take time to increase. The same doesn't apply to services and Osborne's tax concessions to key sectors of the City and promotion of London as a centre for Islamic lending and Renmimbi exchange and trading are examples of areas where significant short term growth can be achieved.
This discussion has been closed.