Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris still clear betting favourite to be Biden’s runn

1235»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,240
    isam said:

eadric said:

nico67 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Cookie said:

MikeL said:

Can someone post the date of death spreadsheet?

Not posted today I don't think?

This is the fella:
    https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern?lang=en
    Thanks a lot!

Everyone saying 8 April was peak but that's potentially highly misleading - date of death 15 April has the 2nd highest number of deaths reported within two days.

It's arguable 8 April was a slight outlier on the upside and that broad picture is of a plateau with no significant move downwards at all.
    Yes, it looks like this is a peak like Table Mountain rather than Mont Blanc.
    Not entirely dissimilar to Italy, which has been hovering around 500 deaths a day since April; 6. Today they had 525

France is also slow to decline. Another 761 deaths today.

This seems to be a feature of the bug.
    Italy doesn’t count care home deaths . France does so the 761 includes that . France recorded 418 hospital deaths today and similar to yesterday .

If the UK included care home deaths in its daily bulletin I suspect the public would be shocked .
    Not sure that’s true. I reckon every Western country is under counting.

I read today that Spain was probably only reporting a third of its real death toll. So many are dying at homes, hospices etc

So you might have to multiply Spain’s death toll by 3 to get the real stat.

Which also means these claims ‘the UK will have the worst death toll’ are just bollocks. No one knows. We are fighting in the thick fog of war.

Critics of our govt will almost certainly include care homes deaths in our figures, but won’t in other countries leading to the confirmation bias conclusion that we are the worst
    No.
    Critics of our government would say that they have shamefully neglected social care, with disastrous consequences for care home residents.
    I couldn’t give a fig about the international league tables in this respect.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Abolish the Department for Education, close every state school in the country, and give every parent the money in school vouchers.

The free market will sort it out, and we'll finally have a truly world class school education system.

Every child will be educated brilliantly.

Abolish the target of 50% of school kids going to university, remove university status from most of the former polys.

Abolish fees for those that study degrees in the most important subjects, such as STEM, medicine, engineering, computing based degrees, history, and law degrees.

I am quite happy to serve as Education Secretary.

Happier than the rest of us, perhaps.

A bit like Michael Gove.
    I'd make sure every child was educated. The best teachers would command salaries that would be at the top end of society.

I realise I was lucky that my uni fees were paid for, I want to go back to that.
    TSE for EdSec 7 years ago.

(So my extremely high pay under that system would also be reflected in my pension.)
    To my surprise, I'm with TSE here. Pay teachers much more. And thereby make it more competitive to get into.
    Some teachers - like my daughter's young, enthusiastic year 3 teacher - are worth much more. Some - like my daughter's occasionally adequate year 4 teacher - aren't. I can't see any way of getting more of the former and fewer od the latter without paying them more.
    When I look back upon my life it's always with a sense of shame I know why I've done well is that my parents made sacrifices to ensure I got a top education.

I want every child in this country to receive that without parents having to make sacrifices.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,156
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Have you ever come across the No True Scotsman fallacy?

Yes. Nice one. But I'm not anti private schools in principle, I'm anti our ones. The way WE have things arranged. However after yesterday people have heard enough from me on this topic until at least Sunday.
    It seems to me that you’re more anti a caricature of private schools based on a few particular examples. If I match what you say about private schools to the ones in Staffordshire, the only one I recognise is Denstone and possibly Abbotsholme (which is a business so probably doesn’t come under your particular pet hate). Lichfield, St Dominic's Brewood, Chase Academy Cannock, Stafford Grammar, Newcastle under Lyme all operate in much the same way you describe German private schools, with this crucial difference - they take no money from the state.
    You're getting bogged down.

7% of kids go private. Almost half of Oxbridge places go to them.

Oxbridge supplies our elite.

We start there.
    Did you know the civil service now bans applicants from stating their alma mater?
    I didn't. First instinct, I like it. I also like the idea that top tier unis should limit private school places to 10%. That would be an exocet to the sector, I think.
    It is fairly easy to spot the privately educated applicants when I am doing the Medical School interviews. It is usually obvious from the extracurricular activities etc.
    Yes, I suppose that is a bit of a flaw here. Still what can you do. You can't dispense with interviews, I don't suppose.

Does medicine have a pronounced over-representation from the privately educated, would you say?
    We no longer look at personal statements, prefer post A level applications
    I can’t help but feel those two, particularly the second, would be far better for social mobility than just about any campaign against private schools if they were rolled out for every course and uni.

But leaving universities with a blank year is something they are never going to agree to.
    We take a mix of pre and post A level students, and graduate students too.

Our scoring algorithm simply gives more points for an actual A level over a predicted one*. We also find that some time working in the care sector brings extra maturity to the students. They are better on our acting stations with simulated patients.

*private schools over egg their predictions compared to state schools which tend to underestimate their brightest. This is one way to level the playing field without ruling out exceptional 6 th formers.
    I'd hazard a guess, as a grandfather who has been asked several times, that there's also tuition on personal statements.
    I wish someone had told me what Uni's wanted.
  • Options
    A source had told the Guardian: “The new guidance will say ‘this is what you do if you don’t have any gowns’. Wear an apron instead – that will be the new policy for the foreseeable future, though the medical organisations will go mad about that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/nhs-staff-to-be-asked-to-treat-coronavirus-patients-without-gowns?CMP=share_btn_tw

Yeah the government's popularity is going to take a hit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

According to the Sutton trust state school teachers are more likely to have BEd degrees but independent school teachers more likely to have MScs and PhDs and postgraduate qualifications in the subjects they teach.

5% of state school teachers and 17% of independent school teachers went to Oxbridge.
    https://www.suttontrust.com/our-research/teaching-by-degrees/

My wife has a PHD and teaches in a state primary.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited April 2020

A source had told the Guardian: “The new guidance will say ‘this is what you do if you don’t have any gowns’. Wear an apron instead – that will be the new policy for the foreseeable future, though the medical organisations will go mad about that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/nhs-staff-to-be-asked-to-treat-coronavirus-patients-without-gowns?CMP=share_btn_tw

This is universal credit all over again. You think the government will take a hit, but most people won't notice.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Abolish the Department for Education, close every state school in the country, and give every parent the money in school vouchers.

The free market will sort it out, and we'll finally have a truly world class school education system.

Abolish the target of 50% of school kids going to university, remove university status from most of the former polys.

Abolish fees for those that study degrees in the most important subjects, such as STEM, medicine, engineering, computing based degrees, history, and law degrees.

A bit like Michael Gove.
    I'd make sure every child was educated. The best teachers would command salaries that would be at the top end of society.

I realise I was lucky that my uni fees were paid for, I want to go back to that.

(So my extremely high pay under that system would also be reflected in my pension.)
    To my surprise, I'm with TSE here. Pay teachers much more. And thereby make it more competitive to get into.
    Some teachers - like my daughter's young, enthusiastic year 3 teacher - are worth much more. Some - like my daughter's occasionally adequate year 4 teacher - aren't. I can't see any way of getting more of the former and fewer od the latter without paying them more.
    While pay matters, I don't think it the decisive reason that so many teachers do not stick to the profession*. Other elements might well matter more, particularly a supportive culture of respect for teachers from parents and from the hierarchy of education and government. That is not so easy to address.

* I am sure that we all agree that poor teachers who are not improving should move on, I suspect that the good ones are as likely to quit. That sort of reflective self doubt in a professional is both a key to being an inspiring teacher, but also to that crisis of faith.

All the best doctors that I know came close to dropping out. Indeed one of my colleagues is quite a competent roofer, having done that for a year before his mates on the site persuaded him back into medicine.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    tlg86 said:

This is universal credit all over again. You think the government will take a hit, but most people won't notice.
    No this is the dementia tax. It feels like that anyway.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Only because they keep on kicking the worst elements of universal credit into the long grass.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,582
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Yes. Nice one. But I'm not anti private schools in principle, I'm anti our ones. The way WE have things arranged. However after yesterday people have heard enough from me on this topic until at least Sunday.
    It seems to me that you’re more anti a caricature of private schools based on a few particular examples. If I match what you say about private schools to the ones in Staffordshire, the only one I recognise is Denstone and possibly Abbotsholme (which is a business so probably doesn’t come under your particular pet hate). Lichfield, St Dominic's Brewood, Chase Academy Cannock, Stafford Grammar, Newcastle under Lyme all operate in much the same way you describe German private schools, with this crucial difference - they take no money from the state.

We start there.
    Did you know the civil service now bans applicants from stating their alma mater?
    I didn't. First instinct, I like it. I also like the idea that top tier unis should limit private school places to 10%. That would be an exocet to the sector, I think.
    It is fairly easy to spot the privately educated applicants when I am doing the Medical School interviews. It is usually obvious from the extracurricular activities etc.
    Yes, I suppose that is a bit of a flaw here. Still what can you do. You can't dispense with interviews, I don't suppose.

Does medicine have a pronounced over-representation from the privately educated, would you say?
    I can’t help but feel those two, particularly the second, would be far better for social mobility than just about any campaign against private schools if they were rolled out for every course and uni.

But leaving universities with a blank year is something they are never going to agree to.

Our scoring algorithm simply gives more points for an actual A level over a predicted one*. We also find that some time working in the care sector brings extra maturity to the students. They are better on our acting stations with simulated patients.

*private schools over egg their predictions compared to state schools which tend to underestimate their brightest. This is one way to level the playing field without ruling out exceptional 6 th formers.
    Some private schools, apparently, are refusing to provide predicted grades unless parents pay the whole year's fees for schooling they aren't really getting. Which some parents are unable to do, no longer having a job or a business. It's a pickle.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

The policy where the government were going to "steal your house"?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Has Matt ever produced a bad cartoon?

That is TB confirmed.
    TSE will be badgering you for a more sett-led answer.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

I'd hazard a guess, as a grandfather who has been asked several times, that there's also tuition on personal statements.
    Some places take it very seriously, but in Leicester we have a policy not to read them. They are worthless and formulaic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Abolish the Department for Education...

TSE for EdSec NOW!

Edit - although paradoxically, if the Department for Eejits and Scum was abolished, you couldn’t be education secretary...
    How about President of the Board of Education?

Everyone would have to address me as Mr President.
    Who would you want to sing Happy Birthday toYou?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

It's like sending soldiers into battle with a pocket knife. The first nurse to die because of the revised guidelines is going to be on the front page of The Sun and all over social media.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

It's like sending soldiers into battle with a pocket knife. The first nurse to die because of the revised guidelines is going to be ok the front page of The Sun and all over social media.
    But that's happening already. The Six O'Clock News had a whole section on NHS staff dying.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,328
    Cressida Dick was in the middle of Westminster Bridge during the NHS clap yesterday. What on earth was she thinking?

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1251049661265297408
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,522
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.
    19% of A-level entries are from private schools. One third are on bursaries.

As for Oxbridge, the real issue is they let in so many utter duds (Exhibits A and B - Cummings and Burgon). Admittedly, many of them were privately educated.
    Steering clear of detail, can I just ask you this -

(i) Private school use should be encouraged.
    (ii) Private school use should be discouraged.
    (iii) Private school use is not a matter for government.

Will help me put your comments on this topic in context.
    Private schooling is a scapegoat for a variety of complex societal problems none of which would be markedly different if it was banned or taxed into oblivion. As we may indeed be about to find out, given most of them have shaky finances already and this pandemic is going to kill off many of them.

It is also highly misleading to think of all private schools as conforming to some sort of set pattern. That’s lazy and unhelpful. You have Eton or Wellington who select the wealthiest by ability, and then you have RGS Worcester, with 81% SEND. You have Denstone, with its amazing facilities, and Lichfield Cathedral on a cramped inner city site in several badly maintained medieval houses.

What I do say, quite categorically, is that most private schools are totally unsuitable for being brought into the state sector (their classrooms simply aren’t big enough) but if they were eliminated the pressure on the state sector would massively increase to the extent that in some areas - London or Bristol - it might well implode entirely.

If you really want to eliminate private schools, don’t talk about bans or taxes or structures. Cut the maximum class size in the state sector to 18 and then you would see a huge difference. Moreover, many more private schools probably would follow the lead of Bristol Cathedral or Royal Wolverhampton then and join (or rejoin) the state sector.
    OK, thanks. I am in listening mode.

Sure you won't pick one of my 3 options? Gun to head?
    The point is they are all based more or less on a series of false premises, so any answer would not be meaningful (and we’re back to Flew). 3 would be the nearest, but it would be more accurate to say, ‘Private education is a matter better remedied by the government taking action elsewhere to eliminate its key advantage.’
    Bingo. That's a (ii).

We are agreed on the need to skin the cat.

Just a matter of how best to do it.
    No. It is not a 2. It is a statement that they exist because of failings in the state system, and if you want to get rid of them it would be better to address those failings rather than to take punitive action out of personal and bluntly, ill-informed prejudice, family members notwithstanding. That is nearer to a 3 than anything else, but again, your questions are not in a Flovian sense meaningful because you do not have an understanding of the basic premises.

But unfortunately one of the weaknesses of Labour and indeed the radical left more widely is that while they have always known what they are against they very seldom have a positive vision of what they are actually for.
    I tire of you imputing false motive to me. Please refrain.

Now then. Let's argue properly. No distractive waffle.

If private schools exist primarily because of state school failings, how does this square with the evidence which indicates that having adjusted for their advantaged intake, private school results are not materially better than state? That most of the kids who do well there would do just as well at a typical state school.

If your answer to the above is that it's mainly about class sizes (which I think it will be since we have agreed this point before) then the main state school relative "failing" we are looking at is FUNDING. Funding per pupil.

So, what should we do about that? Triple the education budget?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TSE for EdSec NOW!

Edit - although paradoxically, if the Department for Eejits and Scum was abolished, you couldn’t be education secretary...

Kimberley Walsh.
  • Options

So long as the fees are the same at every school. Cautious tick. And you're hired on probation.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799
    Well if all those folks with pretendy companies pay all the taxes they've dodged over the years, then perhaps they might qualify for the scheme.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

So long as the fees are the same at every school. Cautious tick. And you're hired on probation.
    Nope, parents can top up the vouchers if they like.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

Some places take it very seriously, but in Leicester we have a policy not to read them. They are worthless and formulaic.
    Excellent.
    The angst over the production of them is significant, and unnecessary.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

ydoethur said:

TSE for EdSec NOW!

Altered Images-era Clare Grogan
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

It's like sending soldiers into battle with a pocket knife. The first nurse to die because of the revised guidelines is going to be ok the front page of The Sun and all over social media.
    But that's happening already. The Six O'Clock News had a whole section on NHS staff dying.
    Now the government has changed the rules to make them more likely to die. Before this it was still all under the "well it's come out of nowhere" now we're 8-10 weeks in and still haven't resolved the shortages.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,715
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

While pay matters, I don't think it the decisive reason that so many teachers do not stick to the profession*. Other elements might well matter more, particularly a supportive culture of respect for teachers from parents and from the hierarchy of education and government. That is not so easy to address.

* I am sure that we all agree that poor teachers who are not improving should move on, I suspect that the good ones are as likely to quit. That sort of reflective self doubt in a professional is both a key to being an inspiring teacher, but also to that crisis of faith.

All the best doctors that I know came close to dropping out. Indeed one of my colleagues is quite a competent roofer, having done that for a year before his mates on the site persuaded him back into medicine.
    A better focus for improving teaching is to reduce the emphasis on the individual teacher.
    For example, it's utterly insane that many teachers are expected to source or create their own lesson materials, rather than using or adapting externally-produced ones. It's a mixture of craftsmanship (we all want to make personalised lessons) and lack of money, but it also limits how well things get taught and creates excess work which does horrible things for retention.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Well if all those folks with pretendy companies pay all the taxes they've dodged over the years, then perhaps they might qualify for the scheme.
    Like the ones in the media selling services to TV companies as presenters?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,596
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.
    19% of A-level entries are from private schools. One third are on bursaries.

As for Oxbridge, the real issue is they let in so many utter duds (Exhibits A and B - Cummings and Burgon). Admittedly, many of them were privately educated.
    Steering clear of detail, can I just ask you this -

(i) Private school use should be encouraged.
    (ii) Private school use should be discouraged.
    (iii) Private school use is not a matter for government.

Will help me put your comments on this topic in context.
    Private schooling is a scapegoat for a variety of complex societal problems none of which would be markedly different if it was banned or taxed into oblivion. As we may indeed be about to find out, given most of them have shaky finances already and this pandemic is going to kill off many of them.

It is also highly misleading to think of all private schools as conforming to some sort of set pattern. That’s lazy and unhelpful. You have Eton or Wellington who select the wealthiest by ability, and then you have RGS Worcester, with 81% SEND. You have Denstone, with its amazing facilities, and Lichfield Cathedral on a cramped inner city site in several badly maintained medieval houses.

What I do say, quite categorically, is that most private schools are totally unsuitable for being brought into the state sector (their classrooms simply aren’t big enough) but if they were eliminated the pressure on the state sector would massively increase to the extent that in some areas - London or Bristol - it might well implode entirely.

If you really want to eliminate private schools, don’t talk about bans or taxes or structures. Cut the maximum class size in the state sector to 18 and then you would see a huge difference. Moreover, many more private schools probably would follow the lead of Bristol Cathedral or Royal Wolverhampton then and join (or rejoin) the state sector.
    OK, thanks. I am in listening mode.

Sure you won't pick one of my 3 options? Gun to head?
    The point is they are all based more or less on a series of false premises, so any answer would not be meaningful (and we’re back to Flew). 3 would be the nearest, but it would be more accurate to say, ‘Private education is a matter better remedied by the government taking action elsewhere to eliminate its key advantage.’
    Bingo. That's a (ii).

We are agreed on the need to skin the cat.

Just a matter of how best to do it.
    No. It is not a 2. It is a statement that they exist because of failings in the state system, and if you want to get rid of them it would be better to address those failings rather than to take punitive action out of personal and bluntly, ill-informed prejudice, family members notwithstanding. That is nearer to a 3 than anything else, but again, your questions are not in a Flovian sense meaningful because you do not have an understanding of the basic premises.

But unfortunately one of the weaknesses of Labour and indeed the radical left more widely is that while they have always known what they are against they very seldom have a positive vision of what they are actually for.
    I tire of you imputing false motive to me. Please refrain.
    You’re a fine one to talk, after the way you have been twisting my words all evening.
    kinabalu said:

So, what should we do about that? Triple the education budget?

Yes.

Finally, you got it.

In the state sector, Without checking, average pupil spend is around £4,000. In the private sector, it’s over ten.

Abolish the imbalance and private schools will either wither, or join the state sector.

And it would make it a whole lot easier to recruit and retain teachers.
  • Options

Whilst giving the quangos and trust managers a free pass?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Whilst giving the quangos and trust managers a free pass?
    Have the government not taken way the control of supply distribution from the trusts ?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.
    Jesus, do you have any policies where the answer is to improve, rather than drag everyone down to about the same level?
    Yes but all that stuff - "levelling up" - is motherhood and apple pie. It's boring to talk about things everyone signs up to. It's just platitudes and waffle most of the time if you go that route.

For example -

We need to make state schools SO good that nobody in their right mind would fork out for private.

No doubt everybody agrees with that. I certainly do. But it's going precisely nowhere.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

A better focus for improving teaching is to reduce the emphasis on the individual teacher.
    For example, it's utterly insane that many teachers are expected to source or create their own lesson materials, rather than using or adapting externally-produced ones. It's a mixture of craftsmanship (we all want to make personalised lessons) and lack of money, but it also limits how well things get taught and creates excess work which does horrible things for retention.
    There was a very good national resources website for primaries, which Gove abolished, for no reason I can discern.
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    edited April 2020
    malcolmg said:

With reference to Covid 19 no mention of course that Scotland is sparsely populated compared with England, has approx. a third of UK landmass but with only 8% of population, only one city with i million population,no major airports etc. etc.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,715
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.
    Jesus, do you have any policies where the answer is to improve, rather than drag everyone down to about the same level?
    Yes but all that stuff - "levelling up" - is motherhood and apple pie. It's boring to talk about things everyone signs up to. It's just platitudes and waffle most of the time if you go that route.

For example -

We need to make state schools SO good that nobody in their right mind would fork out for private.

No doubt everybody agrees with that. I certainly do. But it's going precisely nowhere.
    And anyway- in terms of competent access to teaching that will get your child the grades they deserve, there's not that much in it between state and private sectors. (Seriously. Unless your local comp is one of the small number of very worst, it's better that they spend 1 hour a day doing extra reading than spending that time travelling to and from a more distant but better school.)
    It's the other stuff- the studious classmates, the networking and so on which is much much harder to do in the context of a state comprehensive. And that problem, which is real and huge, is much harder to fix with money.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,917
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

I have friends in the UK who are teachers, friends in the UK who gave up teaching, and friends in Germany who are teachers, including my girlfriend.

All of the UK teachers I know who gave up, did so because of the crazy out of hours workload not because of the pay. Comparing the working conditions between the two countries I see two differences. Thie biggest difference is that homework is not marked by the teachers in Germany. Exams are marked by teachers, but not the standard homework.

The other difference is the teachers in Germany are there to help the pupils learn as much as possible. They are not there to maximise the exam results. The difference might seem subtle to some outside of education, but the effect this has on job satisfaction is considerable. Once the job satisfaction gets wringed out of you that's when you leave the profession.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes.

Finally, you got it.

In the state sector, Without checking, average pupil spend is around £4,000. In the private sector, it’s over ten.

Abolish the imbalance and private schools will either wither, or join the state sector.

I have always got that. But it is a rather banal point and furthermore there is no chance of it happening.

Of course with magic money tree all is possible - and we are perhaps about to shake it - so maybe now is the time. :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

Yes.

Finally, you got it.

I have always got that. But it is a rather banal point and furthermore there is no chance of it happening.

Of course with magic money tree all is possible - and we are perhaps about to shake it - so maybe now is the time. :smile:

EDIT -

Twisting words is not the same (or as bad) as imputing false motive. Not that I was twisting your words. I was merely seeking to condense.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mortimer said:

Charles said:

Patrick Vallance just now

On masks the advice is variable at present and we are entirely in line with WTO recommendations

Masks must be available in medical locations and high risk areas

It is under review

And that is the view I support

At the very least, we need to be planning to be able to mass produce them. We can't get caught out like PPE, where the big UK company has their Chinese plant seized or the testing where we were too slow to put call out to the private sector.
    I’m sure we are.

I don’t know about PPE, but in pharma the machinery is custom made and there is a 6-9 month minimum lead time
    O/T, but thanks for your reading suggestions last night @Charles - much appreciated!

And I agree with @Cyclefree, the Times obituary of your father was equal parts fascinating and heart-warming.
    Thank you. It was a very different time. I think our parents’ generation had a great deal more fun!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

You're fired.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

For example -

Good schools don't appear out of thin air, they appear because of competition and academic selection.

Wealthy parents might be prepared to send their children to an outstanding state comprehensive or grammar school, they will always go private over an inadequate or requires improvement state school
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

I have friends in the UK who are teachers, friends in the UK who gave up teaching, and friends in Germany who are teachers, including my girlfriend.

All of the UK teachers I know who gave up, did so because of the crazy out of hours workload not because of the pay. Comparing the working conditions between the two countries I see two differences. Thie biggest difference is that homework is not marked by the teachers in Germany. Exams are marked by teachers, but not the standard homework.

The other difference is the teachers in Germany are there to help the pupils learn as much as possible. They are not there to maximise the exam results. The difference might seem subtle to some outside of education, but the effect this has on job satisfaction is considerable. Once the job satisfaction gets wringed out of you that's when you leave the profession.
    Great observation.
    I don’t know much about the German system, but that certainly rings true for the UK.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TSE for EdSec NOW!

Altered Images-era Clare Grogan
    She has aged well, but yes that perfect pop pixie is a good choice:

https://youtu.be/6t1vaF50Ks0
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,942
    Evening all :)

Just read all TfL London buses will be free from Monday.

Instead, passengers will board and exit from the middle doors only and won't have to tap Oyster cards on any readers.

This is apparently to keep drivers as safe as possible after a number of drivers died from coronavirus.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Your proposed system places considerable reliance on the competence of parents. Which would likely exacerbate current inequalities,

• Options
    Some straight talking from Professor Costello today.

Everything he said was spot on.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Cookie said:

MikeL said:

This is the fella:
    Thanks a lot!

Everyone saying 8 April was peak but that's potentially highly misleading - date of death 15 April has the 2nd highest number of deaths reported within two days.

It's arguable 8 April was a slight outlier on the upside and that broad picture is of a plateau with no significant move downwards at all.
    Not entirely dissimilar to Italy, which has been hovering around 500 deaths a day since April; 6. Today they had 525

I think it's a feature of lockdown, not the bug. Left to its own devices, the epidemic would see a terrifying spike of death. With lockdown you aim to get to below R=1. Going a lot lower than that it's difficult.

The grown-up politician explains this in her press conference.

https://twitter.com/BenjAlvarez1/status/1250563198081740800
    Thank-you - very clear explanation from Merkel.

Is she still planning to step down later this year?
    Compare that to Trump or Boris/Raab. It makes you want to weep
    And now imagine Piers Morgan yelling “answer the question! Yes or No!”

Politicians can only develop thoughtful answers if they are given the space to do so. Being respectful doesn’t mean giving them an easy ride
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

Germany is still largely selective, with gymnasiums in most states the equivalent of our grammar schools
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, their financial sector is inferior, their handling of the migrant crisis was incredibly stupid, and they increased energy costs massively by Merkel's ridiculous reaction to the Fukushima[sp] meltdown and banning of nuclear power in a country not necessarily renowned for earthquakes and tsunamis.

You can point at any country and find good and bad aspects.

Still, those arguing Germany's magnificent will have fun making the case for banning the niqab and completely changing the way the NHS works.

You supply more supporting evidence -

Their financial sector is VASTLY more fit for purpose and value added.
    The welcoming of the refugees was an act of great vision and compassion.
    They got ahead of the curve on nuclear. It's not the future.
    Banning full face covering is a great example of tolerance without cultural cringe.
    Their healthcare system knocks the NHS into a cocked one.

And a few more for the pot -

Their education system is tons better. And no silly fetish for privates.
    The way that top level football is run. Exemplary c.f. our rich man's toy model.
    They devolve power so much better. They are a true democracy.
    They make quality things and look after the people who do the work.
    The approach to housing over there. So much more rational than ours.

One could go on. One has, really.
    Deuba...Coba...DKW....WestLB....HVB.... sorry what were you saying about their financial sector...? Did I forget IKB? Or BerlinLB?
    But compared to our bunch of desperadoes ...
    We do ok. the Scottish banks were basket cases, as were some of the provincial mortgage banks.

Lloyds and Barclays did ok as did Abbey and MCHC.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

Slightly off topic for this thread, but have any of the other teachers on here been in hospital for an operation and been greeted with “ hello sir, you probably don’t remember me but...” from a former pupil?
    almost.

barstaff.
    You had an operation from a former barkeeper?! Or one of your former pupils served you a drink?
    The nearest I’ve ever come to that is when an ITT at Bristol recognised me from a single lesson I had given him six years before.

Must have been the best revision session ever.

I of course didn’t recognise him at all!
    There is a fascinating imbalance to the teacher's job, isn't there. You are an important figure in the lives of countless people who to you are nothing. Not that you don't care, of course you do, just that they are so many and you are just you. There must be thousands out there who remember you to this day. They can picture you, hear your voice, they know your name. And you are oblivious.
    That is the experience of a profession. Whether teacher, priest, lawyer or physician, your contact with a person can change their life, for better or worse. It tends to be a memorable experience too.
    True. But more pronounced with teachers because as well as one versus many it's adult and child. You are a BIG figure in their life in a literal sense too.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

Excellent.
    The angst over the production of them is significant, and unnecessary.
    Be careful, some places and courses value them.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Congratulations to Major Tom Moore on reaching £20 million in donations.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

Has his promotion come through?
    Given they kept calling probably not
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

Slightly off topic for this thread, but have any of the other teachers on here been in hospital for an operation and been greeted with “ hello sir, you probably don’t remember me but...” from a former pupil?
    almost.

barstaff.
    You had an operation from a former barkeeper?! Or one of your former pupils served you a drink?
    The nearest I’ve ever come to that is when an ITT at Bristol recognised me from a single lesson I had given him six years before.

There is a fascinating imbalance to the teacher's job, isn't there. You are an important figure in the lives of countless people who to you are nothing.
    And there, instantly - and not with an edit to rip it out of context - is why people who have never taught do not understand education. Nobody you teach for any length of time is ever ‘nothing’ to a teacher. The difficulty here is I only taught him once. If he had been one of the Year 11 class I taught for five months, I would have known him alright.
    I was impressed that my Head Man’s wife recognised me when I bumped into her in Peter Jones 20 years later...
  • Options
    First crisps in over 3 weeks. Yum!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Twisting words is not the same (or as bad) as imputing false motive. Not that I was twisting your words. I was merely seeking to condense.

If you say so...

I will admit that is the most unconvincing statement I have heard since a student when I was on teaching prac did actually say they couldn’t hand in their homework ‘because the dog ate my USB pen,’ but it isn’t ultimately very important. You have shown that your position on this is not based on reasoned arguments so reasoned arguments are unlikely to move you.

Have a good evening.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Your proposed system places considerable reliance on the competence of parents. Which would likely exacerbate current inequalities,

I wish there was a solution to this.

What we are currently doing isn't working.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

Some private schools, apparently, are refusing to provide predicted grades unless parents pay the whole year's fees for schooling they aren't really getting. Which some parents are unable to do, no longer having a job or a business. It's a pickle.
    The 20-30 that I’ve seen figures for are cutting fees by 20-30%
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,194
    Or we could just bring back grammar schools.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

almost.

barstaff.

There is a fascinating imbalance to the teacher's job, isn't there. You are an important figure in the lives of countless people who to you are nothing.
    And there, instantly - and not with an edit to rip it out of context - is why people who have never taught do not understand education. Nobody you teach for any length of time is ever ‘nothing’ to a teacher. The difficulty here is I only taught him once. If he had been one of the Year 11 class I taught for five months, I would have known him alright.
    I was impressed that my Head Man’s wife recognised me when I bumped into her in Peter Jones 20 years later...
    I didn’t realise you spent time with a tribe ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

It's like sending soldiers into battle with a pocket knife. The first nurse to die because of the revised guidelines is going to be on the front page of The Sun and all over social media.
    There is a shortage of PPE.

Would you rather they didn’t treat the patients?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

According to the Sutton trust state school teachers are more likely to have BEd degrees but independent school teachers more likely to have MScs and PhDs and postgraduate qualifications in the subjects they teach.

5% of state school teachers and 17% of independent school teachers went to Oxbridge.

You've gone native calling them "independent schools". Only they call themselves that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Charles said:

OllyT said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Cookie said:

MikeL said:

This is the fella:
    Thanks a lot!

I think it's a feature of lockdown, not the bug. Left to its own devices, the epidemic would see a terrifying spike of death. With lockdown you aim to get to below R=1. Going a lot lower than that it's difficult.

The grown-up politician explains this in her press conference.

https://twitter.com/BenjAlvarez1/status/1250563198081740800
    Thank-you - very clear explanation from Merkel.

Is she still planning to step down later this year?
    Compare that to Trump or Boris/Raab. It makes you want to weep
    And now imagine Piers Morgan yelling “answer the question! Yes or No!”

Politicians can only develop thoughtful answers if they are given the space to do so. Being respectful doesn’t mean giving them an easy ride
    When Morgan interviewed Helen Whately on Weds, I defy anybody to admit to thinking she was ‘laughing at elderly people dying in care homes’ rather than ‘exacerbated at his pompous interviewing/interrupting technique’
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,927
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Now the government has changed the rules to make them more likely to die. Before this it was still all under the "well it's come out of nowhere" now we're 8-10 weeks in and still haven't resolved the shortages.
    Everyone wants the government to succeed in getting to grips with the virus for all our sakes.

Unfortunately I have a growing feeling that we have a largely inexperienced and second rate cabinet handling this crisis. I don't consider Johnson a politician with much gravitas himself and his cabinet was largely selected on the grounds of their willingness to see through a no deal Brexit if necessary.

Of course the current crisis could not have been foreseen at the time but the upshot is we are led by people like Raab, Patel and Hancock who I'm afraid are all beginning to look out of their depth.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

You've gone native calling them "independent schools". Only they call themselves that.
    Not calling people by what they self-identify as is extremely rude.
  • Options
    P45 for this thread.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

almost.

barstaff.

Except you have done exactly that. Edited it and deleted the rest of the comment which gave it the required context.

A teacher is a far bigger figure in the life of a child than vice versa. And the imbalance is all the greater because it is also adult child.

This is why the profession is so important and why the quality control over entrants is so important.

Is that not a reasonable observation? Or should only teachers be commenting on this whole subject?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    New thread.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,917
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

A bit like Michael Gove.

Germany is still largely selective, with gymnasiums in most states the equivalent of our grammar schools
    For a start none of the teachers I know in Germany are in Gymnasien, but secondly what has this at all got to do with what I wrote?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Not calling people by what they self-identify as is extremely rude.
    :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

If you say so...

I will admit that is the most unconvincing statement I have heard since a student when I was on teaching prac did actually say they couldn’t hand in their homework ‘because the dog ate my USB pen,’ but it isn’t ultimately very important. You have shown that your position on this is not based on reasoned arguments so reasoned arguments are unlikely to move you.

Have a good evening.
    Bollox. I do logic and reasoning. You do banalities and waffle.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, their financial sector is inferior, their handling of the migrant crisis was incredibly stupid, and they increased energy costs massively by Merkel's ridiculous reaction to the Fukushima[sp] meltdown and banning of nuclear power in a country not necessarily renowned for earthquakes and tsunamis.

You can point at any country and find good and bad aspects.

Still, those arguing Germany's magnificent will have fun making the case for banning the niqab and completely changing the way the NHS works.

You supply more supporting evidence -

Their financial sector is VASTLY more fit for purpose and value added.
    The welcoming of the refugees was an act of great vision and compassion.
    They got ahead of the curve on nuclear. It's not the future.
    Banning full face covering is a great example of tolerance without cultural cringe.
    Their healthcare system knocks the NHS into a cocked one.

And a few more for the pot -

Their education system is tons better. And no silly fetish for privates.
    The way that top level football is run. Exemplary c.f. our rich man's toy model.
    They devolve power so much better. They are a true democracy.
    They make quality things and look after the people who do the work.
    The approach to housing over there. So much more rational than ours.

One could go on. One has, really.
    Deuba...Coba...DKW....WestLB....HVB.... sorry what were you saying about their financial sector...? Did I forget IKB? Or BerlinLB?
    But compared to our bunch of desperadoes ...
    We do ok. the Scottish banks were basket cases, as were some of the provincial mortgage banks.

Lloyds and Barclays did ok as did Abbey and MCHC.
    Barclays were OK through the sheer dumb luck of being outbid by Fred for ABN.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

For example -

Good schools don't appear out of thin air, they appear because of competition and academic selection.

Wealthy parents might be prepared to send their children to an outstanding state comprehensive or grammar school, they will always go private over an inadequate or requires improvement state school
    But we don't want any good schools. The very term implies the need for bad ones. We just want schools.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Chameleon said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

We start there.

For example -

And anyway- in terms of competent access to teaching that will get your child the grades they deserve, there's not that much in it between state and private sectors. (Seriously. Unless your local comp is one of the small number of very worst, it's better that they spend 1 hour a day doing extra reading than spending that time travelling to and from a more distant but better school.)
    It's the other stuff- the studious classmates, the networking and so on which is much much harder to do in the context of a state comprehensive. And that problem, which is real and huge, is much harder to fix with money.
    Yes. The 2 big advantages. Funding. Intake.

The most advantaged pupils have the most spent on them.

Should be the other way around IMO.
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Everyone wants the government to succeed in getting to grips with the virus for all our sakes.

Unfortunately I have a growing feeling that we have a largely inexperienced and second rate cabinet handling this crisis. I don't consider Johnson a politician with much gravitas himself and his cabinet was largely selected on the grounds of their willingness to see through a no deal Brexit if necessary.

Of course the current crisis could not have been foreseen at the time but the upshot is we are led by people like Raab, Patel and Hancock who I'm afraid are all beginning to look out of their depth.

I really don't understand why such a frenzy is now being whipped up by the media other than their desperation to try & find a sensational story & if not to fabricate one..

I spent my entire career working for the US multinational that invented & patented the SMS (Spunbond Meltdown Spunbond) fabric that is now globally used for surgical gowns.There are other workable options.

For example industrial coveralls (boiler suits)which again due the barrier properties of SMS are widely used for protection purposes in a variety of industries. The main difference is the colour of the fabric, blue for surgical gowns & white, grey for coveralls.
    I alerted my MP to this option a couple of weeks ago as there must be literally hundreds of thousands of coveralls sitting in industrial companies warehouses & at their distributors.

The UK market is under developed in terms of single use surgical gowns (currently used as PPE gowns). With reusable linen gown still being widely used in Operating Theatres throughout the UK, they should be readily available for use with a plastic apron for additional protection.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

If you say so...

Have a good evening.
    Is that an irregular verb? I do logic and reasoning, you do banalities and waffle, he is a Civil Servant at the Department for Education?

As for the rest - it’s a long while since I’ve seen anyone have a meltdown like this over a subject they have so little understanding of. Are you sure Dominic Cummings hasn’t possessed you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

If you say so...

Have a good evening.
    Is that an irregular verb? I do logic and reasoning, you do banalities and waffle, he is a Civil Servant at the Department for Education?

As for the rest - it’s a long while since I’ve seen anyone have a meltdown like this over a subject they have so little understanding of. Are you sure Dominic Cummings hasn’t possessed you?
    :smile:

Look, I can't restrict my comments to matters of which I have great knowledge, otherwise it's game over for me. It would be goodbye and god bless.

Anyway. Perfectly satisfactory late night exchange and many thanks for it. All insults recalled to the pavilion.
This discussion has been closed.