Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to another Thursday night PB Nighthawks after another

2»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    Indeed, itll be business mostly as usual but occasionally with some careful words and perhaps some delay. If enough others do it too.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

An interesting fact is that the US only has 9 cities larger than Birmingham.

It’s an uninteresting fact given that you are using local authority boundaries - utterly meaningless. Is Leeds bigger than Manchester?
    It's still only 15 if you look at US urban areas vs the West Midlands conurbation which is comparing like with like as much as possible.
    Yes, that’s true. Most American cities are underwhelming - in both size and content. Some of those in the top ten are unimaginably dull places.
    There's New York, San Fancisco, New Orleans and all the rest are Cincinatti.
    Chicago's not bad. Las Vegas does what it does very well.

Used to have to visit Cincinnati for work. I won't be going back.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s an uninteresting fact given that you are using local authority boundaries - utterly meaningless. Is Leeds bigger than Manchester?
    It's still only 15 if you look at US urban areas vs the West Midlands conurbation which is comparing like with like as much as possible.
    Yes, that’s true. Most American cities are underwhelming - in both size and content. Some of those in the top ten are unimaginably dull places.
    Whereas we have London, and, um...Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool.

All the rest are Slough.
    Oxford? Cambridge? Chester? York? Cirencester? There are lots of great cities.
    We are talking about cities, you are talking about towns.

I don’t know if you noticed, but Lisa Nandy’s campaign for the Labour leadership was not successful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Oh and Miami..Miami Beach is like ayia napa with less class //sophistication and more drugs.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,769
    I got the impression Raab had agreed with China to soft peddle in exchange for getting scarce PPE.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    Trump will try and trump Sweden?

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    edited April 2020

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The only reason I have ever heard of Carol C is because I frequent PB. Lots of people on here seem strangely fond/obsessed with her.

Pagan2 said:

Utter garbage from Pagan on PT regarding libel law. It’s relatively simple: if you accuse someone of something that could damage their reputation among right-thinking people, you had better be able to prove it. So, yes, accusing someone of being an alcoholic would be libellous unless you could prove it. They might not sue, but that’s a different matter.

Sorry not apologising for not understanding it as from what I hear it being true in this country isn't a defence against it being libellious. Also why i made sure to say that in my opinion he was rather than state it as a fact. Where did I misunderstand?
    Saying it’s your opinion doesn’t avoid libel. There’s an exception on fair comment and ‘common abuse’ - e.g. you can call someone a dickhead but not a liar.
    see and you expect us lay people to understand it, where does observing someone stumbling around looking drunk cross over to the point where we can say in my opinion he is an alcoholic....you say I am being daft however I am expressing an opinion a lot of perfectly reasonable people would come to. Where is the line where I cant say x and I can say x
    I’ve just explained it to you.

I can call you a rum sort but not a criminal.

Do you grasp the difference?
    So if my friend drinks a bottle of rum every night and I suggest he might be an alcoholic that is libellious as I can't prove he is
    Truth is no particular defence! You would need to be able to prove it in court. Hence why most sensible editors remove any such accusation.
    Still waiting for you to define when

x is an alcoholic is a fair use statement
    x is an alcoholic is suable

you said I was stupid for not understanding so should be easy to lay out where the line is
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,830
    David Miliband never seems to age. On Newsnight atm.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Wed hardly expect to have the same number or even similar to the USA
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,098
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

The only reason I have ever heard of Carol C is because I frequent PB. Lots of people on here seem strangely fond/obsessed with her.

Pagan2 said:

Utter garbage from Pagan on PT regarding libel law. It’s relatively simple: if you accuse someone of something that could damage their reputation among right-thinking people, you had better be able to prove it. So, yes, accusing someone of being an alcoholic would be libellous unless you could prove it. They might not sue, but that’s a different matter.

Sorry not apologising for not understanding it as from what I hear it being true in this country isn't a defence against it being libellious. Also why i made sure to say that in my opinion he was rather than state it as a fact. Where did I misunderstand?
    Saying it’s your opinion doesn’t avoid libel. There’s an exception on fair comment and ‘common abuse’ - e.g. you can call someone a dickhead but not a liar.
    see and you expect us lay people to understand it, where does observing someone stumbling around looking drunk cross over to the point where we can say in my opinion he is an alcoholic....you say I am being daft however I am expressing an opinion a lot of perfectly reasonable people would come to. Where is the line where I cant say x and I can say x

You are failing to understand my point....most normal people don't work like that they call it as they see it. you drink a bottle of spirits a night we will call you an alcoholic the fact its not accurate as we can't prove it is neither here nor there. For most of us we don't really know what we can get in trouble saying because we don't worry about it as this law really doesn't apply to us as we aren't like to get sued as there is no point.

You cannot give me even now a defining line between x is an alcoholic being fair use and x is an alcoholic being libellious. Go on tell me where I can say a and where I can get sued
    I have done so repeatedly.

Once again...

If you publish something saying x is an alcoholic, you are libelling them, unless you can prove it. Now, they might well not sue (and if they did, might chase the publisher rather than you, as the publisher is easier to find and more likely to have the means to pay).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

David Miliband never seems to age. On Newsnight atm.

Really?

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1250798510452113408
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

No longer a lawyer, and when I was I didn't do defamation. My understanding is, it is a good defence to show that what you said is substantially true, BUT the burden of proof is on you to show it's true. Secondly, opinions are fine if they really are opinions. "X is not a good actor" is fine "X is a child molester" is not, and you can't convert it to an opinion by saying "In my opinion X is a child molester."
    Correct. Nor is “in my opinion X is an alcoholic” an avoidance of libel.

Your actor example is covered under fair comment in media law.
    Again my question how does your average lay person tell the difference between fair comment and libellious....you said I was being stupid so explain it to me in laymans terms I am willing to be educated

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds - all very characterful big cities
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

Never been to Nottingham, but I haven’t heard good things.

I could give you the rest, but let’s be honest, are they any match for Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia?
    Leeds is a bit of a stretch, granted. Nottingham is very charming in parts. And a belter of a night out.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You are failing to understand my point....most normal people don't work like that they call it as they see it. you drink a bottle of spirits a night we will call you an alcoholic the fact its not accurate as we can't prove it is neither here nor there. For most of us we don't really know what we can get in trouble saying because we don't worry about it as this law really doesn't apply to us as we aren't like to get sued as there is no point.

You cannot give me even now a defining line between x is an alcoholic being fair use and x is an alcoholic being libellious. Go on tell me where I can say a and where I can get sued

Once again...

If you publish something saying x is an alcoholic, you are libelling them, unless you can prove it. Now, they might well not sue (and if they did, might chase the publisher rather than you, as the publisher is easier to find and more likely to have the means to pay).
    So when is it fair use? Or can I merely never say x is an alcoholic
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Well it's quite simple. Most of us have been drunk. I have on occasion wondered how I got home. I have certainly stumbled around. I'm not an alcoholic though. being an alcoholic is completely different to liking a drink and sometimes doing it to excess.
    We all have I suspect. What I am getting that is there seems to be some line drawn where you can say

x is an alcoholic and be fair use
    x is an alcoholic and be sued

I am asking where the line is as a lay person because damned if I can work it out and I suspect what it amounts to is black at one end, white at the other and a huge grey area in the middle. The grey area is the problem because without legal training you really have no idea if you are veering into the grey
    Well I think it's quite simple. You should not call someone an alcoholic because it's impossible to substantiate. It's not a medical term. It implies someone is dependant on alcohol. You don't, and in fact, can't, know whether that is the case unless you are a close friend, family member or partner and have close personal knowledge of their behaviour. You can say "I saw XXX in the pub the other day and they had several double G&Ts and looked pretty pissed". That's it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Smaller "cities" in the US are the places to go e.g. Ashville, NC or Savannah, GA
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

So if my friend drinks a bottle of rum every night and I suggest he might be an alcoholic that is libellious as I can't prove he is
    Truth is no particular defence! You would need to be able to prove it in court. Hence why most sensible editors remove any such accusation.
    Still waiting for you to define when

x is an alcoholic is a fair use statement
    x is an alcoholic is suable

you said I was stupid for not understanding so should be easy to lay out where the line is
    No defence on fair comment in that case.

Fair comment would be “he loved to party”.

• Options

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

No longer a lawyer, and when I was I didn't do defamation. My understanding is, it is a good defence to show that what you said is substantially true, BUT the burden of proof is on you to show it's true. Secondly, opinions are fine if they really are opinions. "X is not a good actor" is fine "X is a child molester" is not, and you can't convert it to an opinion by saying "In my opinion X is a child molester."

Again my question how does your average lay person tell the difference between fair comment and libellious....you said I was being stupid so explain it to me in laymans terms I am willing to be educated

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leeds - all very characterful big cities
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

I could give you the rest, but let’s be honest, are they any match for Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia?
    Leeds is a bit of a stretch, granted. Nottingham is very charming in parts. And a belter of a night out.
    The centre of Leeds is surprisingly attractive IMO, although I've only been there about 3 times.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

Lincoln, York, Chester and Durham are all lovely cities and far nicer to visit than either Chicago or Philadelphia whose only claims to character appear to be their size. Boston is nice though.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Well it's quite simple. Most of us have been drunk. I have on occasion wondered how I got home. I have certainly stumbled around. I'm not an alcoholic though. being an alcoholic is completely different to liking a drink and sometimes doing it to excess.
    We all have I suspect. What I am getting that is there seems to be some line drawn where you can say

I am asking where the line is as a lay person because damned if I can work it out and I suspect what it amounts to is black at one end, white at the other and a huge grey area in the middle. The grey area is the problem because without legal training you really have no idea if you are veering into the grey
    Well I think it's quite simple. You should not call someone an alcoholic because it's impossible to substantiate. It's not a medical term. It implies someone is dependant on alcohol. You don't, and in fact, can't, know whether that is the case unless you are a close friend, family member or partner and have close personal knowledge of their behaviour. You can say "I saw XXX in the pub the other day and they had several double G&Ts and looked pretty pissed". That's it.
    Then alcoholics anonymous should be prosecuted presumably as they encourage you to confront people you care for with the fact they are an alcoholic. Incitement therefore to a crime ( although not sure if civil torts count)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

If you say it then it is potentially slander. Of you write it and publish it is libel.

But don't forget your friend has to trouble his lawyers before anything happens and if he drinks a bottle of rum a night then even Saul Goodman might talk him out of a challenge.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It’s very simple.
    If x has declared publicly that they are an alcoholic, you’re OK.
  • Options

Smaller "cities" in the US are the places to go e.g. Ashville, NC or Savannah, GA

Charlottesville, VA is fabulous.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

If you say it then it is potentially slander. Of you write it and publish it is libel.

But don't forget your friend has to trouble his lawyers before anything happens and if he drinks a bottle of rum a night then even Saul Goodman might talk him out of a challenge.
    See this is what I mean to reasonable people my friend gives every reason to make them believe he is one. Being barred from expressing an opinion on pain of court does not seem reasonable to most
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

I think i have been to every major US city and i can't say i fell in love with any. Certainly not compared to Vancouver or Toronto in Canada.

I dont care for NYC. Prefer Boston. Downtown Chicago is cool. San Francisco is a dump. Seattle isnt much better. LA, i would prefer to spend a week in Staines. As a former professional gambler, I actually skipped tournaments rather than spend too much time in Las Vegas.

It is what is outside the cities that is much more spectacular. Yosemite, yellowstone, the great lakes, etc etc etc etc etc

I was massively underwhelmed by NY - London is infinitely better - although I visited in a heatwave so need to go again as the oppressive weather killed it.

The national parks and wildernesses in the States are indeed its jewels. I’ve not seen as much as you but can confirm that the Shenandoah is sublime, and the Colorado Rockies awe-inspiring.
    Always liked Seattle. You don't have to go far to be in spectacularly beautiful wilderness either.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

It’s not slander of you say it privately to him alone.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Andy_JS said:

Toms said:

This appears to be the site to donate to Cap'n Tom Moore's charity. I think I'll give 'em a few quid, but anyway the NHS figures in my will.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

The numbers are increasing at an incredible rate each time you look at the page.
    You could almost say exponentially.

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    Trump: I really want to thank Mike Pence who has worked 24 hours a day to defeat the virus.

Translation: When it all goes to shit, I'll be dumping my veep before November.
  • Options
    Laura K is trending on Twitter, she must have said something to annoy Corbynistas.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

Lincoln, York, Chester and Durham are all lovely cities and far nicer to visit than either Chicago or Philadelphia whose only claims to character appear to be their size. Boston is nice though.
    Yes, but if we’re talking about small cities, then you have to consider places like Monterey.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I will try it tomorrow at work, I will turn up drunk and if they say "You are drunk" I will sue them for slander as they can't prove it then. Sorry the law is an ass here
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think i have been to every major US city and i can't say i fell in love with any. Certainly not compared to Vancouver or Toronto in Canada.

I dont care for NYC. Prefer Boston. Downtown Chicago is cool. San Francisco is a dump. Seattle isnt much better. LA, i would prefer to spend a week in Staines. As a former professional gambler, I actually skipped tournaments rather than spend too much time in Las Vegas.

It is what is outside the cities that is much more spectacular. Yosemite, yellowstone, the great lakes, etc etc etc etc etc

I was massively underwhelmed by NY - London is infinitely better - although I visited in a heatwave so need to go again as the oppressive weather killed it.

The national parks and wildernesses in the States are indeed its jewels. I’ve not seen as much as you but can confirm that the Shenandoah is sublime, and the Colorado Rockies awe-inspiring.
    Always liked Seattle. You don't have to go far to be in spectacularly beautiful wilderness either.
    I'm supposed to be going on holiday there next May/June. May still happen I suppose.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

You are comparing apples with pears.
    If you are talking about Lincoln, York et al then you might look to Santa Fe, Charleston, Portland (both WA and ME)...etc
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Laura K is trending on Twitter, she must have said something to annoy Corbynistas.

Nah see is getting from both sides. From one side taking the piss out of asking a question that has already been answered and the other giving it the usual she is a Tory stooge.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Nah see is getting from both sides. From one side taking the piss out of asking a question that has already been answered and the other giving it the usual she is a Tory stooge.
    Laura K is simply terrible.
    I’ve no idea how she got her job.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    dixiedean said:

Its gone downhill massively over the past few years. Same with Portland.

The San Juan Islands an hour north of Seattle are little talked about, but one of my favourite places I have visited in the US.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

See this is what I mean to reasonable people my friend gives every reason to make them believe he is one. Being barred from expressing an opinion on pain of court does not seem reasonable to most
    Why not restrict yourself to subtantiable facts? "My friend drinks a bottle of rum every night"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm supposed to be going on holiday there next May/June. May still happen I suppose.
    Seattle is really really really boring...from an urban perspective. Great landscape tho.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

dixiedean said:

Seattle is really really really boring...from an urban perspective. Great landscape tho.
    America can't compete with Milton Keynes.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

dixiedean said:

Its gone downhill massively over the past few years. Same with Portland..
    You sure that’s not the sea level rising ? :smile:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Has some nice craft beer, I'm told. Not as much as Portland though.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Once again...

So when is it fair use? Or can I merely never say x is an alcoholic
    That would never be covered by fair comment
  • Options

dixiedean said:

America can't compete with Milton Keynes.
    Well they don’t do roundabouts.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I’ve no idea either. She’s a bloody crap journalist. Her perceived bias is small beer compared to her inability to break stories or offer any insight.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I will try it tomorrow at work, I will turn up drunk and if they say "You are drunk" I will sue them for slander as they can't prove it then. Sorry the law is an ass here
    It’s fairly easy to prove someone is drunk.

It’s rather trickier to prove they are an alcoholic.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    edited April 2020
    What was excruciating, and in the first case quite disgusting, about this interview was Piers Morgan suggesting Helen Whately was laughing about people dying in care homes, when she was obviously exasperated by his continual interruptions and refusal to let her answer, and his misinformed claim that she voted against NHS workers pay rise, as noted by fullfact. Now he is acting like some man of the people ‘asking the important questions’ when it’s just loud mouthed, rude, ignorant, bullying

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1250348764830695430?s=21
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,492
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

This is an extremely good analysis of the international PPE supply chain:

Why There Aren't Enough Masks, and How to Get More
    https://www.flexport.com/blog/why-there-arent-enough-masks-and-how-to-get-more/

... One PPE vendor that we know did $80M in revenue last year, and currently has $2B or more worth of demand for his products. They would need a 50% down payment to lock in this capacity. Even in normally functioning credit markets, this would probably be unrealistic for a business of their scale to secure. There is a lot of risk in the production process when scaling manufacturing capacity 20x. And banks have difficulty quantifying this risk, since they are not manufacturing or quality control experts. In the midst of a pandemic that has spooked lenders, getting this degree of financing is likely impossible without some form of government guarantee....

The CEO of a German ventilator manufacturer that also makes PPE was saying the problem with ramping up PPE production is that it can only realistically be made with full automation. Once you run the machines 24 hours a day you have no other way of increasing production. Ventilators, which are relatively labour intensive to produce, are more amenable to surge production.
    You build a new line. Or ten.
    Which is where “there is a lot of risk in scaling” comes in.
    The sort of risk that could be dealt with by a handsome cheque from Boris or Angela. Small change for a government already spending hundreds of billions.
  • Options
    Is it possible the medic taking the sample was deliberately overenthusiastic with the swab ... ?

https://twitter.com/AndrewRestuccia/status/1250884189492215812
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

But if you are drunk they will probably be able to prove it by giving evidence to the court about your conduct, smell, speech, coordination etc. (and they won't just say you are drunk, they will sack you for gross misconduct). And for reasons too tedious to explain they will have additional defences of qualified privilege and all sorts. The law is indeed an ass, but over the years it has fine-tuned its asininity to the extent it's not quite as stupid as you think it is.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

This is an extremely good analysis of the international PPE supply chain:

Why There Aren't Enough Masks, and How to Get More
    https://www.flexport.com/blog/why-there-arent-enough-masks-and-how-to-get-more/

... One PPE vendor that we know did $80M in revenue last year, and currently has $2B or more worth of demand for his products. They would need a 50% down payment to lock in this capacity. Even in normally functioning credit markets, this would probably be unrealistic for a business of their scale to secure. There is a lot of risk in the production process when scaling manufacturing capacity 20x. And banks have difficulty quantifying this risk, since they are not manufacturing or quality control experts. In the midst of a pandemic that has spooked lenders, getting this degree of financing is likely impossible without some form of government guarantee....

The CEO of a German ventilator manufacturer that also makes PPE was saying the problem with ramping up PPE production is that it can only realistically be made with full automation. Once you run the machines 24 hours a day you have no other way of increasing production. Ventilators, which are relatively labour intensive to produce, are more amenable to surge production.
    You build a new line. Or ten.
    Which is where “there is a lot of risk in scaling” comes in.
    The sort of risk that could be dealt with by a handsome cheque from Boris or Angela. Small change for a government already spending hundreds of billions.
    Yes, it could.
    But most of the manufacturing is in China and there are questions of trust....

You could build domestic production, and though that would probably take longer and be costlier, it might be a worthwhile investment.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

But if you are drunk they will probably be able to prove it by giving evidence to the court about your conduct, smell, speech, coordination etc. (and they won't just say you are drunk, they will sack you for gross misconduct). And for reasons too tedious to explain they will have additional defences of qualified privilege and all sorts. The law is indeed an ass, but over the years it has fine-tuned its asininity to the extent it's not quite as stupid as you think it is.
    Damage to reputation also needs to be demonstrated, of course.
    If you wander around obviously pissed, that’s going to be difficult.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

Yes, but if we’re talking about small cities, then you have to consider places like Monterey.
    Oh I agree. But then the UK versions win hands down.

The big cities really have no redeeming factors. They are just urban sprawling dumps, all one step away from the next Detroit.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758
    Where are all those masks going to come from?
  • Options

Where are all those masks going to come from?
    The government will contract it out to Mike Baldwin.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

IanB2 said:

Trump is taking a hell of an obvious gamble pushing the US toward reopening on 1 May

He would be, if he was in charge of a centralised country like the UK. But he isn't. The majority of Governors will not go along with it and so there won't be the negative consequence of a rapid resurgence in deaths. And Trump is then able to blame the Governors for the economic damage - he wanted to open the economy, not his fault.

We wait to see whether enough voters will buy that crap, but I can't rule it out.
    81% of Americans want to wait until it is safe rather than going by an arbitrary deadline.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

I found Philadelphia utterly charming.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You can't sue someone for slander (or libel) on the basis of something they say to you unless there are other people present. Even if there were, the person making the statement may be able to use the defence of "honest opinion" - see below. But a lawyer would almost certainly tell you that this wasn't worth taking to court anyway.

To successfully sue someone for libel or slander over a statement they have made about you, you have to prove that they made the statement to a third party, that the statement is defamatory and that it refers to you. Note that it doesn't have to name you as long as it would be clear to the third party that it referred to you.

If someone sues you for libel or slander you have a number of possible defences:

- that your allegation was substantially true
    - that you were expressing an honest opinion
    - that publishing your statement was in the public interest
    - that your statement was protected by privilege

On the "honest opinion" defence (which has replaced the previous "fair comment" defence), to use that defence your statement has to be a statement of opinion, must state the basis of your opinion and it must be an opinion which an honest person could hold on the basis of the facts.

If a statement is capable of being proved true (e.g. whether or not X is an alcoholic) it is not a statement of opinion so that defence is not available. If a statement is not capable of being proved true the defence of honest opinion may be available to you. If you don't have all the facts a qualifying statement such as "in my opinion" is not going to protect you where the allegations are very serious.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is it possible the medic taking the sample was deliberately overenthusiastic with the swab ... ?

Nigelb said:

"I'm afraid it has to be taken anally, Mr President"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    POTUS has had it with lockdown!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Macron questions China's coronavirus response

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52319462
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

Philly is a great city. Better food, music and art than NYC in my opinion.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

POTUS has had it with lockdown!

Not quite, Trump actually said states could only ease off lockdown if they have had 2 weeks of decline in the rate of Covid 19 cases and robust testing in place

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52314866
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Andy_JS said:

I remember when Laura K had quite a fanclub on here.

Then she got the top job.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    isam said:

What was excruciating, and in the first case quite disgusting, about this interview was Piers Morgan suggesting Helen Whately was laughing about people dying in care homes, when she was obviously exasperated by his continual interruptions and refusal to let her answer, and his misinformed claim that she voted against NHS workers pay rise, as noted by fullfact. Now he is acting like some man of the people ‘asking the important questions’ when it’s just loud mouthed, rude, ignorant, bullying

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1250348764830695430?s=21

If I were Boris and noticed the incident at all, I'd be infuriated that some rating-chasing TV interviewer tried to tell me who I should sack, and she would become completely unsackable - wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction.

• Options
    Unless lockdowns are proven not to make any difference, it’s a bit silly to not mention that this bad flu season sized spike coincided with worldwide lockdowns isn’t it?

https://twitter.com/famedcelebrity/status/1250919332567150593?s=21
  • Options
    Been a while since I went, but I liked Austin TX.

Phoenix is America's Stoke, an accumulation of several small towns rolled into one city.
  • Options

Phoenix is America's Stoke, an accumulation of several small towns rolled into one city.

Bit can you get an oatcake in Phoenix?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Macron questions China's coronavirus response

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52319462

"Things we don't know about"...thats code for things my intelligence service have told me.
  • Options

I’ve heard good things about Austin, and would like to visit it someday.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    isam said:

Unless lockdowns are proven not to make any difference, it’s a bit silly to not mention that this bad flu season sized spike coincided with worldwide lockdowns isn’t it?

It's a spectacularly stupid comment. It is like building a massive wall of sandbags to cope with an enormous flood and water flowing a bit over the top, then saying "well it was only as bad as pipe leak damage, it was crazy to waste all that money on sandbags".
  • Options
    "The navy is investigating how so many sailors caught the virus."

Cue "Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more...." But I'm guessing - maybe 2,000 folk living in one, you know, military cruise ship?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52308073
  • Options
    isam said:

If it hadn't been for the lockdown it would still be going up.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The San Juan Islands an hour north of Seattle are little talked about, but one of my favourite places I have visited in the US.
    That's what I'm talking about. Pootle over the border to Saltspring. The Seattle Vancouver Victoria triangle is heavenly.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

isam said:

It's a spectacularly stupid comment. It is like building a massive wall of sandbags to cope with an enormous flood and water flowing a bit over the top, then saying "well it was only as bad as pipe leak damage, it was crazy to waste all that money on sandbags".

isam said:

I think a lot of sceptics say the infections were going down before lockdown. Either way, it seems remiss not to mention it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    That's a very effective visualisation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    isam said:

Quite an interesting plot. One wonders how he knows the data for week 17 given that we are only half way through week 16.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That's what I'm talking about. Pootle over the border to Saltspring. The Seattle Vancouver Victoria triangle is heavenly.
    Why harry and megan didn't want to stay on Vancouver Island is beyond me. Stunning place and if you have money easy access to major cities and onward travel.
  • Options

isam said:

2020 is the year "Staff Sergeant Briggs" lost his mind....
  • Options
    We are booked into a hotel in France on May 31st. We can cancel for free before May 10th. Macron is reviewing the lockdown on the 11th. Here’s what the hotel are saying

“In accordance with the legal Order No 2020-315, of March 25, 2020, regarding the financial conditions of the cancelation of certain travel contracts and tourist vacations in case of exceptional and unavoidable circumstances or -force majeure-, I am pleased to send you this voucher that once this health crisis over, it will allow you to re-book a stay in our establishment. You can find the official French Version HERE

This credit is valid for eighteen (18) months from the date of issue listed on the credit voucher. It can be used on one or more occasions and is subject to availability on the desired dates.

In accordance with the provisions of this order, if this voucher is not used within eighteen (18) months from the date of issue, the customer will be reimbursed for the amounts paid in advance or the remaining credit balance in the form of the original payment methods.“

Bit strange I thought
  • Options
    isam said:

We are booked into a hotel in France on May 31st. We can cancel for free before May 10th. Macron is reviewing the lockdown on the 11th. Here’s what the hotel are saying

“In accordance with the legal Order No 2020-315, of March 25, 2020, regarding the financial conditions of the cancelation of certain travel contracts and tourist vacations in case of exceptional and unavoidable circumstances or -force majeure-, I am pleased to send you this voucher that once this health crisis over, it will allow you to re-book a stay in our establishment. You can find the official French Version HERE

This credit is valid for eighteen (18) months from the date of issue listed on the credit voucher. It can be used on one or more occasions and is subject to availability on the desired dates.

In accordance with the provisions of this order, if this voucher is not used within eighteen (18) months from the date of issue, the customer will be reimbursed for the amounts paid in advance or the remaining credit balance in the form of the original payment methods.“

Bit strange I thought

You'll probably only get that refund if they aren't bankrupt though... ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Bit strange I thought

I can’t see us being able to commit to going by the 10th. Haven’t paid anything anyway
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Bit strange I thought

I can’t see us being able to commit to going by the 10th. Haven’t paid anything anyway
    That is strange if you haven't paid anything. Maybe you have a free holiday in 2022? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Bit strange I thought

That is strange if you haven't paid anything. Maybe you have a free holiday in 2022? ;)
    If we don’t cancel by 10th May they take the full amount whether we go or not.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Why harry and megan didn't want to stay on Vancouver Island is beyond me. Stunning place and if you have money easy access to major cities and onward travel.
    Yep.It is a bit dull though. If excitement is your thing.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

I've never been there. Nor Washington DC.
  • Options
    36% of Americans and 51% of Republican voters say it is time for America to get back to work.

50% of Americans think the lockdown should last for a maximum of 6 more weeks

https://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/disease/36_say_it_s_time_for_america_to_get_back_to_work
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Defamation was the last topic in my Tort lectures, presumably as it didn't fit neatly with the rest of the subject. As such it was very close to Finals, and all the wannabe-lawyers were stressed juggling revision schedules with this new content. Their cost-benefit analysis was being constantly recalculated over the course of the lecture, and a steady stream walked out back to the Law Library once they appreciated just how bitty it was and how many cases there were to learn. About a third of the cohort hadn't even descended to the lecture hall for the start as they'd chosen to give this one a miss.

Enraged not so much by the low attendance as the noise and disruption of those fleeing the lecture, trying to get past their seated peers and ascending the steps, the good professor stopped what he was doing and just shouted for anyone who felt they might not be interested to please leave immediately so as not to distract those who intended to remain, with the deal being that anyone who didn't would have to stick it out.

He went on to spell out the pros. Defamation was only one small part of the course and the one or two exam questions that involved defamation would stick out like sore thumbs. Many other topics were very subtle and examiners liked to make a question appear at first glance to be about X, but only closer further analysis would reveal there were also issues of Y or Z. The relevance or not of defamation, though, was impossible to hide, and difficult to mix up with most of the causes of action the course covered. Since all questions were optional with only a certain number requiring to be answered, ignoring defamation was a carefully calculated gamble that would pay off if you learned the rest of the course thoroughly - indeed if you found the syllabus overwhelming, it was the one thing you could safely skip over. On the other hand, the advantage of staying and learning the material was, by the same principles, you'd at least be able to spot which question in the exam it was about, whereas many of the other questions it would be possible to completely miss the point if your powers of analysis were not up to the job. It was also, in his opinion (he was a defamation specialist) the most fun part of the course.

At this point almost everybody left the room, apparently secure in their belief that the very fact they'd been admitted to this great university indicated their powers of analysis were well up to snuff, but they were busy people whose time was valuable, unlikely to work in defamation, and had far too much crud to memorise already. I must have been one of about 10% of the cohort who stayed for the rest of the lecture, though whether I actually answered the question on it in the exam has been lost in the mists of time and memory.

I have the horrible feeling there are a lot of apparently well-qualified professional lawyers out there whose grip on defamation is rather less secure than one might hope!!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Captain Tom Moore reaches £17 million in donations.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,492
    Is Chris Grayling working for America now?
  • Options
    Bedford is one of the leading virologists tracking the mutation of this thing.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1230634136102064128
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,357
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Pagan2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

All the rest are Slough.
    Leeds is ugly and dull.

I've never been there. Nor Washington DC.
    Of all the US cities I visited in my long trip last year, I thought DC (north of the centre, where I was) was more like London than any other US city. Chicago is impressive, rather than attractive, and very noisy. I have heard Philadelphia is worth visiting; I have flown into the airport once and driven round it on the interstate twice; the outskirts don't sell its attractions.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,357
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Gabs3 said:

isam said:

Depends how much the sandbags cost. If the sandbags end up costing you so much you lose your house...
This discussion has been closed.