Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the Tuesday PB Nighthawks cafe

2»

Comments

• Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    EPG said:

I wouldn't report mild symptoms if the outcome were an indefinite stay in HMP Nightingale. CFR 0.1% among young people, dominated by diabetics and other immuno-suppressed people, I would take my chances.

You wouldn't want to shake hands with me, but I understand.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I really do think the Chinese funnel system is a better way to manage any further wave.

Fever clinic - Isolation hospital - bloods, CT scan and covid 19 swab - stay until discharge with 2 negative swabs plus 14 days quarantine - if deterioration then to Acute hospital.

The system breaks the transmission before the household all get it, thereby decreasing overall numbers, and cases that worsen get identified early and transferred.

That is how the Nightingales should be used. Obviously need better, faster testing too.

I don't disagree, but a bit like the South Korean surveillance for contact tracing, are the British public going to be happy to pop down the clinic with the knowledge if they are found to have it, that they won't be going back to their comfortable bed, with 50" OLED tv, internet, Netflix, etc, they will be on a camp bed in a conference centre for the next 2-3 weeks.

I have a feeling a lot of people won't be happy at that prospect.
    Sure, but that is the way to manage the condition. The South Koreans manage to quarantine at home, but with much more monitoring. Most importantly have easy access to rapid testing, so that people know whether to isolate or not.

There are times where we really do need to learn from other countries, rather than re-invent the wheel, so that it is a British wheel.
    There is a cultural aspect in play here. I believe South Koreans have human rights as a lower interest than we do.
    Koreans are particularly keen on rights because they operated under a dictatorship for so long. They have a US-style left, including the current president, which is more than you can say for any other large Asian country.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I shan't be surprised if Trump gets re-elected and I suspect that not many people will be.
  • Options
    EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I really do think the Chinese funnel system is a better way to manage any further wave.

Fever clinic - Isolation hospital - bloods, CT scan and covid 19 swab - stay until discharge with 2 negative swabs plus 14 days quarantine - if deterioration then to Acute hospital.

The system breaks the transmission before the household all get it, thereby decreasing overall numbers, and cases that worsen get identified early and transferred.

That is how the Nightingales should be used. Obviously need better, faster testing too.

I don't disagree, but a bit like the South Korean surveillance for contact tracing, are the British public going to be happy to pop down the clinic with the knowledge if they are found to have it, that they won't be going back to their comfortable bed, with 50" OLED tv, internet, Netflix, etc, they will be on a camp bed in a conference centre for the next 2-3 weeks.

Sure, but that is the way to manage the condition. The South Koreans manage to quarantine at home, but with much more monitoring. Most importantly have easy access to rapid testing, so that people know whether to isolate or not.

There are times where we really do need to learn from other countries, rather than re-invent the wheel, so that it is a British wheel.
    There is a cultural aspect in play here. I believe South Koreans have human rights as a lower interest than we do.
    Koreans are particularly keen on rights because they operated under a dictatorship for so long. They have a US-style left, including the current president, which is more than you can say for any other large Asian country.
    But they don't mind being tracked so that contacts can be contacted and tested. Not sure if that covers sexual activity but I don't suppose they'd object too much.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Taiwan does too. They also take human rights very seriously, having loved.under the longest continuous Martial Law.im history.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    The Corbynites might be out of the driving seat of the Labour Party, but somethings never change, YouGov is according to them still a Tory owned propaganda polling company and that is why the government is getting decent numbers for their handling of the CV situation.
  • Options
    isam said:
    That's so much sensationalist shit. I'm self shielding do those odds apply to me? Utter crap.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Taiwan does too. They also take human rights very seriously, having loved.under the longest continuous Martial Law.im history.
    Excellent point! I think I excluded Taiwan because... sorry can't talk any more, let's end the interview here!!! No, because I associated the party system there more with 1 v 2 China, though you are right.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Seemingly selective about rights. Who mentioned Taiwan?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

The right decision by Trump. The WHO is a joke.

Does anyone monitor its advice and consequences?
    WHO declared it a "Public Health Emergency of International significance" on 23rd Jan.

A month later Trump was still calling it a hoax.

Clearly Trump was not monitoring its advice.

Yes, and beggaring belief we have educated PB correspondents praising Trump's decisiveness in withdrawing financial support from the WHO.

Utter madness, and not just from Trump!

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

WHO declared it a "Public Health Emergency of International significance" on 23rd Jan.

Yes, and beggaring belief we have educated PB correspondents praising Trump's decisiveness in withdrawing financial support from the WHO.

Trump introduced the China travel ban at the end of January. He was denounced as xenophobic and a racist at the time, but it was the right decision.
  • Options
    EPG said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Excellent point! I think I excluded Taiwan because... sorry can't talk any more, let's end the interview here!!! No, because I associated the party system there more with 1 v 2 China, though you are right.
    Gobbledegook
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sorry? I don't follow. I mentioned Taiwan as a country which, like S Korea has managed to handle the virus pretty well this far and which is by no stretch of the imagination a repressive totalitarian regime.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump introduced the China travel ban at the end of January. He was denounced as xenophobic and a racist at the time, but it was the right decision.
    And the WHO protested, didn't they?
  • Options
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    I shan't be surprised if Trump gets re-elected and I suspect that not many people will be.
    I shan't be surprised if one of the horses in a two horse race wins that race, and I suspect not many people will be.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    How long will the Kennedys trade off of Robert's name?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sorry? I don't follow. I mentioned Taiwan as a country which, like S Korea has managed to handle the virus pretty well this far and which is by no stretch of the imagination a repressive totalitarian regime.
    Whoever said that Taiwan is a repressive totalitarian regime?
  • Options

alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    I shan't be surprised if one of the horses in a two horse race wins that race, and I suspect not many people will be.
    My remark was in the context of understanding that it may well be a two horse race but the nature of this site presumes an understanding of what constitutes a favourite, particularly a big favourite.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Daltry was pissed, but Townshend was furious.

I'm not a fan of the WHO, or frankly of the WTO.
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I replied to ERG to agree with his point. You asked why I mentioned Taiwan? I answered.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    If Joe Kennedy III wins the Massachusetts Senate race this year and Trump is re elected he becomes the likely next President in 2024 in my view. Goodnight
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

alterego said:

Andy_JS said:

Daltry was pissed, but Townshend was furious.

I'm not a fan of the WHO, or frankly of the WTO.
    Two shades of feisty.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I replied to ERG to agree with his point. You asked why I mentioned Taiwan? I answered.
    You raised Taiwan and implied that I'd said it was a repressive totalitarian regime. Look up the thread.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    If Joe Kennedy III wins the Massachusetts Senate race this year and Trump is re elected he becomes the likely next President in 2024 in my view. Goodnight
    That must be a good price.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    It was his great uncle who became President, his grandfather was denied it after being assassinated
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You raised Taiwan and implied that I'd said it was a repressive totalitarian regime. Look up the thread.
    I certainly didn't intend to do so. I apologise if so. My intentions were to big up Taiwan rather than belittle anyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    It was his great uncle who became President, his grandfather was denied it after being assassinated
    Why do you think I'm not aware? It was the thrust of my post. Incidentally, I know Jack was assassinated too - I just think Robert was the better person all round and would have made a great President..
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

EPG said:

alterego said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I certainly didn't intend to do so. I apologise if so. My intentions were to big up Taiwan rather than belittle anyone.
    Fair 'nuff. No apologies necessary. Good night to you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alterego said:

HYUFD said:
    I've read your post again and can see why you favour donkeys.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    alterego said:

This is definitely not right.
  • Options

So a problem with a lot of this stuff where British people seem to be trying hard not to learn from successful countries is that they fixate on superficial details that might be hard to apply and instead of thinking, "how do we change this for our situation but get the same effect", they say, "Asians are weird, it can't happen here, we're sticking with either everybody getting it or staying home forever".

If the policy won't work because the quarantine conditions are too grim (dunno if that's right or not, but for the sake of argument), make the quarantine conditions less grim! The entire hotel sector has stopped. Shutting down the economy is unbelievably expensive, money printer's going brrrrr, there's a blank cheque. So put the contagious people in hotels, make sure they have nice TVs and comfortable beds and good wifi.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

If the policy won't work because the quarantine conditions are too grim (dunno if that's right or not, but for the sake of argument), make the quarantine conditions less grim! The entire hotel sector has stopped. Shutting down the economy is unbelievably expensive, money printer's going brrrrr, there's a blank cheque. So put the contagious people in hotels, make sure they have nice TVs and comfortable beds and good wifi.

That's completely unrealistic. Good wifi in hotels?? ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2020

So a problem with a lot of this stuff where British people seem to be trying hard not to learn from successful countries is that they fixate on superficial details that might be hard to apply and instead of thinking, "how do we change this for our situation but get the same effect", they say, "Asians are weird, it can't happen here, we're sticking with either everybody getting it or staying home forever".

Its not weird Asians. It is Asians have been through SARs and appear to do what is in the best interests with minimal need for the government to drill it into them and are willing to forego comforts in order to achieve this.

In the UK, for weeks we had people ignoring what was in their interests of not dying. Sweden, it seems they have managed a middle way, where they listened to the government and took action.

I am just been realistic about how I think the public would react to certain purposes they would deem inconvenient.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907

Its not weird Asians. It is Asians have been through SARs and appear to do what is in the best interests with minimal need for the government to drill it into them and are willing to forego comforts in order to achieve this.

In the UK, for weeks we had people ignoring what was in their interests of not dying. Sweden, it seems they have managed a middle way, where they listened to the government and took action.

I am just been realistic about how I think the public would react to certain purposes they would deem inconvenient.
    More conformist societies are better able to put something like a lockdown into place. Maybe it's as simple as that.
  • Options

With the exception of HK, most individuals weren't really affected by SARs. What SARs changed was the *government* response.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

More conformist societies are better able to put something like a lockdown into place. Maybe it's as simple as that.

The UK had no problem getting their population to accept a very draconian lockdown, so draconian that it would probably be unconstitutional in Japan. The reason it didn't have more of a response earlier was that it had astonishingly terrible leadership.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kazakhstan-china/kazakhstan-summons-chinese-ambassador-in-protest-over-article-idUSKCN21W1AH

Kazakhstan’s foreign ministry summoned the Chinese ambassador on Tuesday to protest over an article saying the country was keen to become part of China, the ministry said.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    "Obesity is the biggest 'chronic' risk factor for coronavirus hospitalizations, largest US study of COVID-19 finds"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8217275/Over-65s-obese-people-likely-hospitalised-coronavirus-cancer-patients.html
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,515
    Coronavirus has painted the moon a sort of orangey-pink colour.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    THIS THREAD IS IN SELF ISOLATION
This discussion has been closed.