Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If not Balls as Shadow Chancellor then who?

13»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I have a few quid on Burnham. He ran last time, with reasonable parliamentary support, while I think that Chukka has limited popularity in either parliament or Unions. I cannot see him winning.
    HYUFD said:

Fox Burnham also has emotional intelligence, as can be seen in his Hillsborough statement, he also has a degree in English rather than PPE. I still think it will be Chukka Umunna though who will succeed Miliband if he falls short in 2015!

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'5% off the Tory polling with his 2010 election campaign'

So when the 'No' vote in the independence referendum goes down by 5% is entirely the fault of your hero Darling?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    An unsolicited and irrelevant (?) comment:

All day today wind power has been contributing about five gigawatt to the national grid. Currently this amounts to about 15 percent, and suffices to supply very roughly two or three million homes.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    I forgot Norman Lamont read economics, although perhaps he is not the best example of learning from your studies
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ninoinoz said:

Indeed John Major did the job without any degree at all, and not too bad at all, according to a friend who was a Treasury Economist at the time.

How many of the last 10 CoE were economists or had studied economics at university? Not many....

In a strong field, quite the most stupid comment on PB since it switched.

Perhaps you would care in future to view your sources a little more critically.
    Perhaps you can justify your claim? I suspect you are thinking about his time as PM

He was Chancellor for a year - and frankly I don't remember anything he did apart from take the country into the ERM. Clearly a mistake with hindisght - but given that the UK was only a member for 2 years more politically damaging than economically destructive.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    edited December 2013
    Fox Chukka backed Ed Miliband in 2010 and would likely have his MPs and union backing, as well as that of the membership, I doubt Burnham would do any better than he did last time, and he is from the Blairite wing of the party which is shrinking
  • Options
    Making stupid comments is no bar to participation in PB, or for that matter voting in elections, as your own comments so superbly demonstrate.

Democracy means that a stupid persons vote counts just as much as mine.
    Ninoinoz said:

Indeed John Major did the job without any degree at all, and not too bad at all, according to a friend who was a Treasury Economist at the time.

How many of the last 10 CoE were economists or had studied economics at university? Not many....

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Toms said:

All day today wind power has been contributing about five gigawatt to the national grid. Currently this amounts to about 15 percent, and suffices to supply very roughly two or three million homes.

Not at all irrelevant. It could have added the resource does not pollute and is free.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    I don't think Balls is going anywhere before the election.

Milliband will dither and dither and by this time next year (when axing Balls will be a necessity) his position will be too weak to do much.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Ninoinoz said:

Why is it a stupid comment ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Toms said:

Just incredibly unilluminating. Are you aware that the wind blows more strongly on some days, less strongly on others and sometimes not at all? And that that makes cherry-picked single data points a tiny bit uninformative?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ishmael_X said:

that makes cherry-picked single data points a tiny bit uninformative?

Cherry-picked single data points are the very lifeblood of the site these days.

5% here, 5% there, pretty soon you have an undeniable meme...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Ishmael_X said:

Toms said:

Just incredibly unilluminating. Are you aware that the wind blows more strongly on some days, less strongly on others and sometimes not at all? And that that makes cherry-picked single data points a tiny bit uninformative?

I feel slightly embarrassed to have to point out that it is, hopefully, just a start, and that the website explains that we use quick reacting CCGT generation to even things out. Black and white solutions are nice but usually not possible in reality.
  • Options
    @politicshome: .@halfon4harlow tells #westminsterhour: "Ed Balls has gone from the king of the finger wagging to a cry baby”.
  • Options
    If Ed wins the election, there will be at least five years before a leadership election, but if Ed loses the election then I could see the re-invention of New Labour with a more centrist/Blairite agenda. Alternitively a defeated Labour party could shift to the hard left, as in the eighties, but I think that they have learnt from those years.

Last time around the centrist faction voted for David Miliband, but even so 12% of MPs preferred Burnham. Next time David will not be standing, and there are few other obvious centrist candidates.

Andy Burnham is an excellent communicator, and would connect better with voters than the well dressed public school educated millionaire Chukka.

My stake is small and at quite good odds.
    HYUFD said:

Fox Chukka backed Ed Miliband in 2010 and would likely have his MPs and union backing, as well as that of the membership, I doubt Burnham would do any better than he did last time, and he is from the Blairite wing of the party which is shrinking

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Perhaps you can justify your claim? I suspect you are thinking about his time as PM

He was Chancellor for a year - and frankly I don't remember anything he did apart from take the country into the ERM. Clearly a mistake with hindisght - but given that the UK was only a member for 2 years more politically damaging than economically destructive.
    Let's have a look.....

The greatest number of mass forced evictions since the Highland clearances.
    Mass unemployment.
    Huge numbers of small businesses bankrupted due to collapsed demand and absurdly high interest rates.
    Deficit reaching 12% of GDP.
    Greatest tax increases since we were fighting Napoleon.

Now, I'll grant you that some of these consequences occurred after he switched, but no chancellor has done so much damage in such a short time.

And on a personal note .....

I haven't forgotten the racist statement parroted by Gus O'Donnell (his press officer) to Michael Brunson after Italy left the ERM.

I also haven't forgotten his incompetence in failing to save the life of a British journalist in Iraq whilst Foreign Secretary. Weren't we supplying arms to Iraq at the time?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Until a few days ago I had no idea that renewable energy was able to contribute more than 20% to the national grid. I thought it was about 10% at the most even with strong winds.

Current numbers:

Wind: 15.89%
    Biomass: 1.87%
    Hydro: 1.52%
    Pumped: 1.08%

Total: 20.36%

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Until a few days ago I had no idea that renewable energy was able to contribute more than 20% to the national grid. I thought it was about 10% at the most even with strong winds.

Current numbers:

Wind: 15.89%
    Biomass: 1.87%
    Hydro: 1.52%
    Pumped: 1.08%

Total: 20.36%

What does it cost?
  • Options
    Most of those events occurred after his time at the Treasury, so a different discussion.

I think that increasingly John Major is being reappraised as PM, and is rated better than those who succeeded him.

The ERM was quite a popular move at the time, with support across parties.
    Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Let's have a look.....

Mass unemployment.
    Huge numbers of small businesses bankrupted due to collapsed demand and absurdly high interest rates.

Now, I'll grant you that some of these consequences occurred after he switched, but no chancellor has done so much damage in such a short time.

I haven't forgotten the racist statement parroted by Gus O'Donnell (his press officer) to Michael Brunson after Italy left the ERM.

I also haven't forgotten his incompetence in failing to save the life of a British journalist in Iraq whilst Foreign Secretary. Weren't we supplying arms to Iraq at the time?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: .@halfon4harlow tells #westminsterhour: "Ed Balls has gone from the king of the finger wagging to a cry baby”.

What with that statue of Lenin coming down it will be tears all round the shadow cabinet table.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Comment deleted by author
  • Options

Most of those events occurred after his time at the Treasury, so a different discussion.

I think that increasingly John Major is being reappraised as PM, and is rated better than those who succeeded him.

Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Let's have a look.....

Mass unemployment.

Well, unfortunately for you, despite being Italian, I do realise that the Prime Minister is the First Lord of the Treasury, so he WAS still at the Treasury.

It actually says so on the door of 10 Downing Street.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/11/30/1322666181646/The-door-of-No-10-Downing-007.jpg

I think the reappraisal comes from people who didn't experience him in office and have forgotten just how incompetent he was.

As for the ERM being popular, so what? It is getting the decision right that matters and he got the decision itself and the rate we entered at terribly wrong. Worse, he kept us in with enormous damage to the economy (and people) just to save his face.

And let's not forget what a stinking hypocrite he is. (Edwina Currie, anyone?)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited December 2013
    Raining in Oz. 9.6 the draw - worth a trading bet to lay off once the tv coverage starts and footage of the covers are on screens ??
  • Options
    We were discussing the CoE role in the context of formal qualifications, but clearly you are too obtuse to comprehend that.

I was resident in Britain during his time as PM, and remember it well, I joined the Labour Party at that time, and was one of many who were suckered by Blair, but over time I recognise that his period as PM was a golden period compared with the last decade.
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Let's have a look.....

Mass unemployment.

Well, unfortunately for you, despite being Italian, I do realise that the Prime Minister is the First Lord of the Treasury, so he WAS still at the Treasury.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/11/30/1322666181646/The-door-of-No-10-Downing-007.jpg

I think the reappraisal comes from people who didn't experience him in office and have forgotten just how incompetent he was.

As for the ERM being popular, so what? It is getting the decision right that matters and he got the decision itself and the rate we entered at terribly wrong. Worse, he kept us in with enormous damage to the economy (and people) just to save his face.

• Options
    So who would you tip as next Labour leader if they do lose in 2015?

tim said:

If Ed wins the election, there will be at least five years before a leadership election, but if Ed loses the election then I could see the re-invention of New Labour with a more centrist/Blairite agenda. Alternitively a defeated Labour party could shift to the hard left, as in the eighties, but I think that they have learnt from those years.

Last time around the centrist faction voted for David Miliband, but even so 12% of MPs preferred Burnham. Next time David will not be standing, and there are few other obvious centrist candidates.

Andy Burnham is an excellent communicator, and would connect better with voters than the well dressed public school educated millionaire Chukka.

My stake is small and at quite good odds.

HYUFD said:

I'd price up Labour going back to a minister under Brown if they lose in 2015 as about the same as the Tories choosing another Bullingdon Boy to follow Dave if they lose in 2015.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Yes, please, Ed - ditch Balls. This would be multiple Christmases come at once:

1) The look on Ed B's face

2) A public admission of utter failure by Labour in framing any kind of vaguely sane economic policy

3) A trigger for the simmering resentment within Labour about Ed M to burst into the open - currently we get little bubbles such as Lord Puttnam's bizarre interview of today, but discipline has remained remarkably tight when you consider what senior Labour politicians must really think.

4) ... and then look at the alternative runners....
  • Options

So who would you tip as next Labour leader if they do lose in 2015?

If you want to know who is going to be leader after Ed you need to ask Len
  • Options
    I think the best time to ditch Balls would be next summer, as the pre-election discipline would inhibit any reprisals by Balls, and I suspect that the political agenda next summer would be dominated by the Indyref and conflict over Europe in the Tory party in the aftermath of the Euro-elections, while the World cup would dominate the popular press.

Robotic though she is, Rachel Reeves may be best of a poor field. The Labour front bench is really rather second rate.

Yes, please, Ed - ditch Balls. This would be multiple Christmases come at once:

1) The look on Ed B's face

2) A public admission of utter failure by Labour in framing any kind of vaguely sane economic policy

3) A trigger for the simmering resentment within Labour about Ed M to burst into the open - currently we get little bubbles such as Lord Puttnam's bizarre interview of today, but discipline has remained remarkably tight when you consider what senior Labour politicians must really think.

4) ... and then look at the alternative runners....

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013

I think the best time to ditch Balls would be next summer, as the pre-election discipline would inhibit any reprisals by Balls, and I suspect that the political agenda next summer would be dominated by the Indyref and conflict over Europe in the Tory party in the aftermath of the Euro-elections, while the World cup would dominate the popular press.

The trouble with that would be that, whatever the timing, the first question Ed Miliband would be asked would be 'Does the new appointment mean that Labour admits it got the economy wrong?' If the answer is No, then 'So why was Balls sacked?' Next summer wouldn't leave long to establish a new economic message.

As others have pointed out, the problem isn't Balls - in fact he's the most impressive member of the Shadow Cabinet, or at least was until his car-crash on Thursday - it's the fact that they haven't actually got anything to say on the economy. Even that wouldn't matter too much if they hadn't spent years saying, in the most absurdly intemperate terms, that Osborne got everything wrong, when actually he got it right.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

The trouble with that would be that, whatever the timing, the first question Ed Miliband would be asked would be 'Does the new appointment mean that Labour admits it got the economy wrong?' If the answer is No, then 'So why was Balls sacked?' Next summer wouldn't leave long to establish a new economic message.

As others have pointed out, the problem isn't Balls - in fact he's the most impressive member of the Shadow Cabinet, or at least was until his car-crash on Thursday - it's the fact that they haven't actually got anything to say on the economy. Even that wouldn't matter too much if they hadn't spent years saying, in the most absurdly intemperate terms, that Osborne got everything wrong, when actually he got it right.
    At the moment, with a Labour lead, I don't think Ed will risk that even though the Tories could be left screaming "but, but, but, he's just accepted failure" like some Cassandra.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Speaking of Chancellors, or former ones, I have to say this video about the daughter of a former Chancellor made me laugh though I admit there's nothing sophisticated about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnW-rPny0A
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    AndyJS said:

The Twitter address of the newly-selected UKIP candidate for Hayes and Harlington is maybe a slightly embarrassing reminder of the fact that he contested the seat in 2010 for the English Democrats:

https://twitter.com/EngPatriot

He seems alright with it

This is great for all the"anti immigration means you're racist" throwbacks #nickpalmer

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article3938636.ece
  • Options

We were discussing the CoE role in the context of formal qualifications, but clearly you are too obtuse to comprehend that.

I was resident in Britain during his time as PM, and remember it well, I joined the Labour Party at that time, and was one of many who were suckered by Blair, but over time I recognise that his period as PM was a golden period compared with the last decade.

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Let's have a look.....

Mass unemployment.

John Major can hardly be cited as a stellar example of what those without school or university qualifications can achieve.

You have completely failed to address:

His racism
    Edwina Currie
    Farzad Bazoft
    Matrix Churchill
    Mass forced evictions

Considering the Tories have failed to win a majority in the House of Commons since he left office (remind me, exactly how bad were the 1997 General Election results?), no wonder Labour supporters like yourself view it as a 'Golden Age'.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited December 2013
    Balls will be a net vote loser but at this point why does Miliband need to fire him?

The numbers are in Labour's favour.

If it comes to squeaky bum time then he can do it. Until then why bother? Balls seems to think he's some kind of big beast. I'd suggest that is...balls. Thus is perfectly fire-able. Just not yet.
  • Options
    On topic. Best alternatives Darling or Reeves. Back both.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2013

"

John Major can hardly be cited as a stellar example of what those without school or university qualifications can achieve.

You have completely failed to address:

His racism
    Edwina Currie
    Farzad Bazoft
    Matrix Churchill
    Mass forced evictions
    "

Are Italians a race?
  • Options

Even that wouldn't matter too much if they hadn't spent years saying, in the most absurdly intemperate terms, that Osborne got everything wrong, when actually he got it right.
    Am I missing something or was Osborne always intending on borrowing £110bn in the 4th year of this parliament?

• Options

Rachel looks OK :)
  • Options

Rachel looks OK :)
    In a way I do find it rather depressing that we should be relying on people little older than I am to get us out of this mess.
  • Options
    Madness from Broad.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Sunil_Prasannan

'Rachel looks OK :)'

Until she opens he mouth.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Burnham was originally a Blairite, but he's not really anymore. In the leadership campaign, the stuff he said (aside from taking a Blairite/hawkish stance on crime and Iraq) was actually quite left-wing, a lot moreso than David Miliband. Also, Burnham's big idea is to create a National Care Service, which gives the few Blairites remaining (who have a paranoia about anything that sounds like tax'n'spend) absolute fits.

I also sense he's much more popular among Labour party grassroots members than Cooper is, so I agree he'd be the favourite to be next leader if Ed doesn't win in 2015.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

For those interested, there's a programme about the terracotta army from 8pm on Ch4 tonight. Not sure if I'll watch it.

Do watch it. It wasn't just about the Terracotta Army per se, but an analysis of the huge infrastructure of bonded/slave labour, technology, Fordian mass-production, skilled craftsmanship, and weapons technology that would have been necessary to construct it (over a period of 40 years). And the long-term geo-political consequences of the unification of China which happened at the same time.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Hope he doesn't mind me posting this — the view from SeanT's Primrose Hill flat in 2010:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSnD0PGQyg&amp
  • Options
    "BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 14m

Thailand Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra says she will dissolve parliament and hold elections, after days of anti-government protests Retweeted by BBC News (UK)":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25252795
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thailand Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra says she will dissolve parliament and hold elections, after days of anti-government protests Retweeted by BBC News (UK)":

"Anti-government protesters, who have been calling for her government to be replaced with an unelected "people's council", say the rallies will continue."

Hard to see the "ignore elections" people having an easy time getting people to turn out and vote.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148

AndyJS said:

"Anti-government protesters, who have been calling for her government to be replaced with an unelected "people's council", say the rallies will continue."

Hard to see the "ignore elections" people having an easy time getting people to turn out and vote.
    Thaksin arouses strong emotions in the country. I do sometimes wonder though if the "Democrats" aren't so much worried about corruption as that they're out of power, so not getting their share.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Thaksin arouses strong emotions in the country. I do sometimes wonder though if the "Democrats" aren't so much worried about corruption as that they're out of power, so not getting their share.
    They're supposed to be loyal to the king, so why isn't he telling them to STFU and respect the result of the election?
This discussion has been closed.