Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If not Balls as Shadow Chancellor then who?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If not Balls as Shadow Chancellor then who?

I’ve long held the view that it won’t be Ed Balls who, it’ll be recalled, wasn’t EdM’s first choice for the job when he became leader. Whatever the strengths of the incumbent the narrtaive has been running sharply against him. John Rentoul has a great piece in today’s Indy on Sunday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    First. Alan Johnson was Ed's first choice unlike Ed Balls.

If Ed Balls is wrong what about Ed's judgement re Johnson?
  • Options
    Jack Dromey or Ben Bradshaw!

Gordon Brown's not up to much either....
  • Options
    The first problem here is to figure out the timing. If it can wait until after the Scottish referendum then promoting someone involved with the (presumably winning) campaign gives him a bit of cover, in which case the Scottish names are all interesting, not least Jim Murphy. But that seems to be cutting it a bit fine...
  • Options
    Umunna is great odds at 25/1 to be Shadow Chancellor at the GE. Especially when Ladbrokes have him at only 10/1 to be next Chancellor.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    edited December 2013

Gordon Brown's not up to much either....

So we're told on here, ad infinitum..
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited December 2013
    We Need a chancellor we can trust on tax avoidance. Step forward G.O.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjBec3fpBI
  • Options
    Politically Osborne has bagged Brown , Darling and Johnson. Balls is currently a lame duck , begging to be put out of his misery.
    Economically Osborne has transformed the UK from the sick man of Europe's major economies into Europe's growth engine.

Bully for the Boy.
  • Options
    Just bet £2 on Ars v Ev the draw at 3-1, will probably cash out at some point so I am not betting on that as the final result, it is an opening position.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    As ever Paddy Power has a dreadfully low maximum in this sort of bet ^^;

If Ed Balls must go could he please be replaced by Rachel Reeves.

Taken Max on all 3 of those, hope the bets lose to be perfectly honest and really wasn't wanting to be in this betting position. But Hey Ho all three of the odds are value according to Mike, & betting is betting. Hopefully Balls can weather the storm.

Just wish he wouldn't say "give a toss" in public.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    If he is going to move him it is best done sooner rather than later. If he waits until the second half of 2014 when the polls may well show a Tory lead on the back of an improving economy, it will be seen as a panic measure to shore up the Labour vote.
    Also some of the candidates are unknown quantities and the Tory argument in 2015 will be that they are the tried and trusted custodians of the recovery, so why risk handing it back to a party led by people wet behind the ears. He needs to leave the new shadow chancellor enough time to establish himself.
    So, he should act soon or stick with Balls.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As ever Paddy Power has a dreadfully low maximum in this sort of bet ^^;

If Ed Balls must go could he please be replaced by Rachel Reeves.

Taken Max on all 3 of those, hope the bets lose to be perfectly honest and really wasn't wanting to be in this betting position. But Hey Ho all three of the odds are value according to Mike, & betting is betting. Hopefully Balls can weather the storm.

Just wish he wouldn't say "give a toss" in public.

Boring, snoring Reeves? You have got to be joking unless it's a cunning plan by Wallace (of Wallace and Gromit) to surround himself with people who are no threat.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited December 2013
    Rachel Reeves " You duhty old man, look at the state of our economic policy..."

http://youtu.be/zxrFITuYmsc
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Why is Alan Johnson so high up? He's admitted he's not up to it, he was even on HIGNFY the other day. Only Boris did that on the way up.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Why is Alan Johnson so high up? He's admitted he's not up to it, he was even on HIGNFY the other day. Only Boris did that on the way up.

The list is comical. Balls , his wife, Brown , Darling , David Miliband , Ed Miliband , Liam " There's no money left " Byrne. A troupe of clowns and grotesques.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    More negativity towards Darling, this time Labour. Maybe we can get some Libdem anti-Darling briefing, just for the full set.

"Senior Labour sources said Darling had a 'dire' presentational style...'Where we agree with the Tories is that Alistair is comatose. He's lazy'...'There is no-one regarded as a grown up in that (Bettertogether) team'."

http://tinyurl.com/omnvx88
  • Options
    Also I see the official line has gone from 'Ed has kicked out the sensible Blairites' to 'look all the horrible Blairites are coming back'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Deck Ed Balls with boughs of holly, fal, la, fal, la, fal al, al, la.
  • Options
    Hello, did I use a 'banned' word....

Eds are crap
    Latvia
    MMR
    Impeachment
    Falkirk
    Fop

Nope, not them
  • Options
    Cameron and Miliband should make a deal that they sack Balls and Osborne. Then never acknowledge them again.
    That would be nice.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour desperately scrambling around for a trusted face to try and shore up their electoral chances. Again.

Step forward Peter Mandelson
  • Options
    Paging Harriet
    The “leak” of the memo has created a mini-storm in Labour ranks for two wholly predictable reasons. The first surrounds questions over why so few women are sitting at the strategy table. To which the answer is a simple one: all the posturing over all-women shortlists and equal shadow cabinet representation is just that – posturing. The reality is that the Labour Party is just as institutionally sexist and backward as any other organisation in the country, and when it comes to what’s perceived as the serious business of winning elections the prevailing view amongst the men who run the party is high falutin' principles can go hang.

After today’s backlash a couple more women will hastily be drafted into the team, but that will be a cosmetic gesture. The boys, as ever, will run the show.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100249664/alastair-campbell-isnt-back-in-labours-inner-circle-but-eds-student-union-has-been-closed-down/
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The occupation begins; with the willing help of our collaborators.
    Police from Poland and Romania have joined the MPS in the fight against crime in London

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Police-from-Poland-and-Romania-have-joined-the-MPS-in-the-fight-against-crime-in-London/1400020756324/1257246745756
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited December 2013
    A decision to replace Balls with a young thruster like Umunna would be an admission by Ed Miliband that the 2015 GE is lost. Far from being the conclusion of the weak and frightened, this would show that Ed is a strong leader capable of playing a long game.

Giving the office of Shadow Chancellor to a political novice would be a good way of blooding the initiate in preparation for the real fight in 2020. And giving it to, say, Umunna would also enable him to follow Sun Tzu's strategy of keeping his enemies closer than his friends. A pre-election decision would also enable Ed "to bridge the generations" in the shadow cabinet and therefore help to shore up his own personal position as leader post a 2015 election defeat.

If Ed is not yet ready to concede 2015, his options are far fewer. Osborne is no longer an unknown initiate himself, but a political heavyweight with a strong record to defend in the economic recovery. Only Alistair Darling has the political weight to stand up to Osborne and even he, triumphant from winning the Scottish Independence Referendum, will still be tarnished by the catastrophe of Labour's last term in office. And there is the additional question of whether Darling would want the job.

Ed is therefore likely to stay with Ed Balls. A "strong" leader but perhaps not quite "strong" enough.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

The first problem here is to figure out the timing. If it can wait until after the Scottish referendum then promoting someone involved with the (presumably winning) campaign gives him a bit of cover, in which case the Scottish names are all interesting, not least Jim Murphy. But that seems to be cutting it a bit fine...

LOL, I cannot wait to see who comes out of that well, whoever it is will have been in the YES campaign and so not exactly flavour of the day. It will certainly not be Darling.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Well, it won't be Liam Burne.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Police from Poland and Romania have joined the MPS in the fight against crime in London

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Police-from-Poland-and-Romania-have-joined-the-MPS-in-the-fight-against-crime-in-London/1400020756324/1257246745756

Do you think before making these post how barking they appear to others? Occupation, seriously, you believe multi national cooperation is akin to occupation?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

A decision to replace Balls with a young thruster like Umunna would be an admission by Ed Miliband that the 2015 GE is lost. Far from being the conclusion of the weak and frightened, this would show that Ed is a strong leader capable of playing a long game.

Giving the office of Shadow Chancellor to a political novice would be a good way of blooding the initiate in preparation for the real fight in 2020. And giving it to, say, Umunna would also enable him to follow Sun Tzu's strategy of keeping his enemies closer than his friends. A pre-election decision would also enable Ed "to bridge the generations" in the shadow cabinet and therefore help to shore up his own personal position as leader post a 2015 election defeat.

If Ed is not yet ready to concede 2015, his options are far fewer. Osborne is no longer an unknown initiate himself, but a political heavyweight with a strong record to defend in the economic recovery. Only Alistair Darling has the political weight to stand up to Osborne and even he, triumphant from winning the Scottish Independence Referendum, will still be tarnished by the catastrophe of Labour's last term in office. And there is the additional question of whether Darling would want the job.

Ed is therefore likely to stay with Ed Balls. A "strong" leader but perhaps not quite "strong" enough.

"Only Alistair Darling has the political weight to stand up to Osborne and even he, triumphant from winning the Scottish Independence Referendum, will still be tarnished by the catastrophe of Labour's last term in office."

What , Alaister Darling was responsible for a credit crunch and the onsel of the deepest recession world wide ? He was more powerful that I had given him credit for. I also did not know that such was his power in the USA that they are still using QE [ as are we ].

19 out of the G20 nations went through mild to severe recession and under Darling, the last quarter Q11 2010 showed a 1.1% increase in GDP.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

"Only Alistair Darling has the political weight to stand up to Osborne and even he, triumphant from winning the Scottish Independence Referendum, will still be tarnished by the catastrophe of Labour's last term in office."

What , Alaister Darling was responsible for a credit crunch and the onsel of the deepest recession world wide ? He was more powerful that I had given him credit for. I also did not know that such was his power in the USA that they are still using QE [ as are we ].

19 out of the G20 nations went through mild to severe recession and under Darling, the last quarter Q11 2010 showed a 1.1% increase in GDP.
    Darling is a busted flush, has always been rubbish and will continue to be so till dumped.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    saddened said:

MikeK said:

Do you think before making these post how barking they appear to others? Occupation, seriously, you believe multi national cooperation is akin to occupation?
    Do in turn ever stop to think how many British police are patrolling Warsaw or Bucharest streets to stop the great british crime wave? I can tell you: none.

The whole thing smells of EU meddling.
  • Options
    If you really think, Ed will replace Ed, then put a few bob on Mary Creagh.
  • Options
    We're going to win the FA CUP......
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I think I've asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Can any of the Labour supporters on here tell me what Chuka Umunna has done to be qualified for high office?

He was a junior lawyer for a first-and-a-half tier firm (Herbert Smith) before becoming a full-time politician.

At least Rachel Reeves had an external career, while Alan Johnson ran a significant union.

His rapid ascent seems to be to be a mix of puffery and gimmackry, and he will be found wanting if he makes it to the Cabinet in the next few years.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Can any of the Labour supporters on here tell me what Chuka Umunna has done to be qualified for high office?

Read his wikipedia entry...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    edited December 2013
    Rentoul mentions Chukka and Saint Steller. I've nothing against these able people, but it seems incredible to me to put individuals with no ministerial, let allow cabinet experience in such a job. Suppose Labour win. Will they have the experience to actually do the job?
  • Options
    Waiting for Falkirk...I bring you news from Richmond Park CLP...they selected Sachin Patel (Trade Union Reps on the Young Labour National Committee, from USDAW).

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Balls has not given a toss before:

Posted: 30/09/2012 16:11 Updated: 01/10/2012 09:41

Balls also declares that he no longer "gives a toss" about becoming leader of the Labour Party one day, having failed to secure the job after Gordon Brown stepped down in 2010.

“I think its very unlikely and not motivational for me in the way that maybe it was 15 years ago, or maybe it is for others today," he says.

"If I’m honest for you, personally, it doesn’t matter, I actually don’t care, it' s not something which I think about, worry about, care about at all whether I’m leader of prime minister, it's not part of my mindset, it's not part of my goals.

"If I say to you I rule it out, I don’t think you’d believe me. If I say to you its very unlikely, I think that’s totally honest, I don’t care. I don’t give a toss. I really don’t give a toss.”

He adds: "If my political career ends today, this minute, I would look back on the last 20 years and I’d be happy with my obituary.”

• Options
    Karen Whitefield is the Labour candidate in Falkirk
  • Options
    Is Ashley Taylor Dawson defo out of Strictly btw ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, went out in the dance off with Patrick last night.

Still it was a profitable tip by me for him to be top male.
  • Options
    Let's not forget, Ed Balls was Ed Miliband's third choice to be Shadow Chancellor.

There's some we can rule out for starters.

Ali Darling, lolol.

The Tories will be cheering for that one.

The Tories would love Labour re-appoint the chancellor who said in 2008

Britain is more resilient and more prepared to deal with global shocks

or was half a trillion pound out on his deficit forecasts between budgets.

Liam Byrne - There's no money left, Dave, George and Nick's Christmases would all come at once.

Yvette Cooper looks a political pygmy next to Theresa May, Home Office should have been easy pickings for Yvette, and let's not forget her success of HIPS.

Alan Johnson - He can't be that brilliant, he was duffed up by a PBer and resigned a few days later.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Pulpstar said:

:) I took some 9-2 on Abbey Clancy and 20-1 on Patrick last night.

Oh
    Feck think the cats have knocked the christmas tree over.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited December 2013
    For me, the polling stats of the day

Which of these would make the better Chancellor of the Exchequer?

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

Even amongst the 2010 Lib Dems, Balls only leads by 1%
  • Options

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

Polling versus PB Kinnock anecdote...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Lenin toppled in Kiev..the cracks are beginning to appear...a whole Nation is about to become free
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Spoilers! What's your source? Mind you, up against Patrick it would be a foregone conclusion......Sophie next out I reckon.....tho Susanna didn't shine this week.....

• Options
    edited December 2013

Pulpstar said:

Spoilers! What's your source? Mind you, up against Patrick it would be a foregone conclusion......Sophie next out I reckon.....tho Susanna didn't shine this week.....

Sorry.

A very reputable source, you forget, I work near MediaCity.
  • Options
    I don't think Labour's problem with the economy is Ed Balls (although he certainly doesn't help), it's the fact that the default position of Labour to always spend more and more money and that has been shown not to work time and again.

How can any Labour chancellor have any credibility when they are essentially arguing 2+2=5?

Their best hope is to just keep shouting about how evil the Tories are and promise free stuff to their client vote so that their handling of the economy doesn't really matter in the end.
  • Options

I don't think Labour's problem with the economy is Ed Balls (although he certainly doesn't help), it's the fact that the default position of Labour to always spend more and more money and that has been shown not to work time and again.

How can any Labour chancellor have any credibility when they are essentially arguing 2+2=5?

Their best hope is to just keep shouting about how evil the Tories are and promise free stuff to their client vote so that their handling of the economy doesn't really matter in the end.

You know your [ Tories ] usual cry of Labour will always spend and spend does not always work. Otherwise, there would never be a Labour government. But the people do elect us from time to time and they would in the future too - probably near future.

When did the Tories last win an absolute majority ?
  • Options

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

That tells me Don't Know should be the Chancellor or is the public saying, who cares ?

• Options
    surbiton said:

You know your [ Tories ] usual cry of Labour will always spend and spend does not always work. Otherwise, there would never be a Labour government. But the people do elect us from time to time and they would in the future too - probably near future.

When did the Tories last win an absolute majority ?
    You are trying to argue that people don't vote for politicians that promise stuff that the country can't afford?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

That tells me Don't Know should be the Chancellor or is the public saying, who cares ?

Heroic spinning.

It tells me that the current chancellor or the man likely to be the next chancellor inspire very little confidence in the electorate.

Given the fact that the economy is the most important issue for the voters, that's a problematic for both parties.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think I've asked this before, but didn't get an answer. Can any of the Labour supporters on here tell me what Chuka Umunna has done to be qualified for high office?

He was a junior lawyer for a first-and-a-half tier firm (Herbert Smith) before becoming a full-time politician.

At least Rachel Reeves had an external career, while Alan Johnson ran a significant union.

His rapid ascent seems to be to be a mix of puffery and gimmackry, and he will be found wanting if he makes it to the Cabinet in the next few years.

Which Labour supporter mentioned Chuka Umunna ?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Pulpstar said:

OH MY GOD! That's you off my Christmas list! Jeez, 'Strictly' is my guilty pleasure (memories of watching 'Come Dancing' with my nan - though I hated it then, admittedly).

Flippin' eck TSE. I'm well disgruntled. I know you can find spoilers on the 'net but ON PB??? WITH NO WARNING?

*flounce*
  • Options

Lenin toppled in Kiev..the cracks are beginning to appear...a whole Nation is about to become free

More than likely than not Ukrain will split between the Russian speaking east and the Polish and Hungarian speaking west.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited December 2013
    Have cashed out on the draw Ars v Ev for a nice profit and SA v Ind was easy money.

For the third one day (Wed) you can get 1.55 on which I have placed a fiver but you can get better odds (1.6) on the series, 3-0 is still 1.6 on which I put another £3, which in addition to the previous £3 at 3.1 should return a nice profit but for the weather raining it off.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Pulpstar said:

OH MY GOD! That's you off my Christmas list! Jeez, 'Strictly' is my guilty pleasure (memories of watching 'Come Dancing' with my nan - though I hated it then, admittedly).

Flippin' eck TSE. I'm well disgruntled. I know you can find spoilers on the 'net but ON PB??? WITH NO WARNING?

*flounce*
    I'm sorry.

But it was that norty Pulpstar who first mentioned the spoiler.

I shall exile myself to conhome for the evening as punishment.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Can any of the Labour supporters on here tell me what Chuka Umunna has done to be qualified for high office?

Read his wikipedia entry...
    It's glowing! Who wrote it?

:Innocent Face:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    MK..Tell that to the kids on the street.They want and can smell freedom to roam the world, the gateway is the EU..
  • Options
    MikeK said:

More than likely than not Ukrain will split between the Russian speaking east and the Polish and Hungarian speaking west.
    Huh? The majority of Ukrainians speak... Ukrainian. Wikipedia says there are no more than 0.3% each of Poles and Hungarians, other minorities at less than 1% each include Belarussians, Romanians (Moldovans) and Crimean Tatars.

• Options
    If anyone wants to bet on whether Ed Ball will ever be Chancellor I am willing to consider offers.

For clarity, I do not believe he will ever be Chancellor.
  • Options

Carola said:

Pulpstar said:

*flounce*
    I'm sorry.

No, I didn't know - But there were no odds listed for him on Oddschecker, and he was my only 'red' runner on my book so to speak. I thought he would have been in a dance off against Susanna Reid actually...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Carola said:

Pulpstar said:

*flounce*
    I'm sorry.

No, I didn't know - But there were no odds listed for him on Oddschecker, and he was my only 'red' runner on my book so to speak. I thought he would have been in a dance off against Susanna Reid actually...
    Shush. I'm in a hole.

The results are known and filmed by about 11.30pm on a Saturday night.

The bookies get all the spoilers and update the markets accordingly.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Ofcourse Balls will be chancellor in 2015.Labour would have stayed on in power had Balls been chancellor instead of Darling.

Balls is having some problems combining the `Cost of living` and the conventional economic debate that Osborne wants to have,but he`ll sort it out and come back stronger than ever.

Labour should learn from the Tories` mistake of appointing someone with little grasp of economics as the chancellor.So suggestions of Chukka,Stella Creasy etc. as shadow chancellor are just crazy.
  • Options
    tim said:

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

The don't know column is part of the reason approval ratings work, will the PB Tories never learn
    Look at Mikes confession on the last thread
    What do you think the ratings would have been if Osborne hadn't cried at Lady Thatcher's funeral ?
  • Options
    Evening all.

Generally in politics you are well advised to bet on the perpetuation of the status quo. Ministers and shadow ministers are seldomn in as deep trouble as we think. Ed Balls had a very bad week last week and his analysis of the economy is increasingly being disproved. He also has made plenty of enemies and is closely tied to the failure of the Brown era.

However, he has also been by some distance the most effective member of the shadow cabinet since the last general election, he attacks the Conservatives with deep passion and no little skill, he's a very experienced politician and minister and his ability to shrug off his past failings and make a new argument unashamed, unabashed and with utter conviction is very valuable to Labour and is one of the reasons why they continue to make such hay with their cost of living focus (which may yet win them the election). Also, let's not pretend that the failure of his economic analysis was his and his alone. Every statement he made was cheered to the rafters by the Labour party. Too far, too fast was adopted as a mantra. Ed Miliband believed it, Labour believed it. This is a collective failure of a party that simply cannot understand economic reality.

Moreover, removing him, or even demoting him, carries risks. Moving him sideways to the foreign or home office brief will not disguise the sacking and will leave him a lame duck; a straight swap with Yvette risks making Labour a laughing stock anyway. He may not accept a demotion to a lower shadow cabinet post, or may do so but remain bitter and resentful. Yvette could walk too, or her relationship with Ed M could be seriously damaged.

Finally, there is a dearth of acceptable replacement. Umunna has been the other stand out shadow cabinet performer (thus far), but he is far too inexperienced and has no background in economics. He simply is not credible as a potential Chancellor in 2015. Reeves is in the same position. Either could be lined up for 2020, but that's a completely different argument, and Labour should not be contemplating, let alone conceding, defeat in 2015 given how heavily the odds are stacked in their favour. Johnson has accepted he is not up to it, Darling is otherwise engaged, Alexander has been ineffectual at the foreign office, there's no reason to like Leslie for the position and whilst Byrne has the right background "that note" and his links to the finance industry will haunt him. I've dealt with Cooper above.

So Labour shouldn't panic. If they have lost GE 2015 (and they deserve to) they did so because of the decisions they collectively made over the last three years, from Ed Miliband's selection onwards. Cost of living combined with the general suspicion of the Tories' economic priorities and the collective howl of anguish at any economic pain, still gives them a fighting chance, while the political boundaries, the collapse in LD support and the emergence of UKIP stack the board in their favour. They need to put an arm around their man and keep putting the fight to the Tories.
  • Options
    SM ..You are as deluded as Balls.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

tim said:

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

The don't know column is part of the reason approval ratings work, will the PB Tories never learn
    What do you think the ratings would have been if Osborne hadn't cried at Lady Thatcher's funeral ?
    How to scare tim the pb minx off the site for a couple of hours sulking?

Just ask him to forecast this month's MORI Leader Approval ratings.

Never fails.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Carola said:

Pulpstar said:

*flounce*
    I'm sorry.

Shush. I'm in a hole.

Do the bookies get all the telephone vote totals too btw ?

• Options
    @SMukesh - I don't know what you've been either drinking or smoking - but can I have some?

In a similar vein there's a very funny Higella YouTube, which I won't link to in case it gets OGH in trouble....
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    For Andrea (though I'm sure he already knows), Natalie McGarry has been chosen as the SNP candidate for the Cowdenbeath by election.
  • Options

@SMukesh - I don't know what you've been either drinking or smoking - but can I have some?

In a similar vein there's a very funny Higella YouTube, which I won't link to in case it gets OGH in trouble....

Well Osborne hasn`t got the arguments to make,hence he gets the Tory MP`s to drown out the shadow chancellor`s speech.Then his press henchmen and the impartial commentator on the BBC who used to be a member of the Conservative party try to go to town to create doubts about Ed Balls.If Osborne was so confident,he would have let his opponent speak and win by force of argument rather than employ school-boy politics.
  • Options
    Ms Vance, seen it and it's quite funny.

Mr Mukesh and Flockers_pb if you really believe what you write then as I say I am open to offers, the end date should be the 2015 GE or whenever it is held.

Ars v Ev draw looking good, wish I hadn't cashed out at half-time now.
  • Options
    Come on Everton - My current PL winners book needs to look a bit less dire than it currently does !
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    SM If your hero Balls has credible policies to combat the Coalition then he should shout them out loud,all he does is criticise..If he thinks he has a Policy then let us have it.. if it is a good one then he has a chance of winning the argument..right now he looks like a frustrated bully boy, and quite rightly he is being sliced and diced.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

Which Labour supporter mentioned Chuka Umunna ?
    Rentoul - not sure (and don't care) if he is Labour or not. But generally Umunna appears to be something of a media darling - I just don't understand what serious case can be put forward. By comparison - say - I disagree entirely with what Ed Balls believes in and think he would be a dreadful Chancellor. But I wouldn't argue that he is unqualified to do the role.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Carola said:

Pulpstar said:

*flounce*
    I'm sorry.

Shush. I'm in a hole.

Do the bookies get all the telephone vote totals too btw ?

No. Those aren't revealed until after the series ends.

The BBC are a bit sensitive about revealing the phone votes after their phone voting scandals and the Tom Chambers voting farce a few years ago on Strictly.
  • Options
    SM, for you to complain about Balls being heckled is laughable.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed. The BBC cocked the Tom Chambers vote up enormously.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

To heckle is one thing,but to completely shout him out so the audience can`t hear a thing is just lamentable.

Osborne`s insecurities are just so obvious.He`s got so many holes in his plans some of which the IFS duly picked the next day.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

MikeK said:

Huh? The majority of Ukrainians speak... Ukrainian. Wikipedia says there are no more than 0.3% each of Poles and Hungarians, other minorities at less than 1% each include Belarussians, Romanians (Moldovans) and Crimean Tatars.

There is a whole East/West split in Ukraine: language (russian vs ukrainian), ethnicity (russian vs ukranian), industry (heavy industry concentrated in the east), religion (Orthodox vs Uniate/Catholic), politics (communist vs liberal), wealth (the west is richer), and history (Muskovite dominated vs part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania)
  • Options

SM If your hero Balls has credible policies to combat the Coalition then he should shout them out loud,all he does is criticise..If he thinks he has a Policy then let us have it.. if it is a good one then he has a chance of winning the argument..right now he looks like a frustrated bully boy, and quite rightly he is being sliced and diced.

Funny that.Your lot have a habit of stealing policies,so is it any surprise Labour will keep it`s economic policies under wraps till close to the election.This is the time to oppose and they are doing that well as the poll leads show.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited December 2013
    SMukesh said:

Swiss_Bob said:

To heckle is one thing,but to completely shout him out so the audience can`t hear a thing is just lamentable.

Osborne`s insecurities are just so obvious.He`s got so many holes in his plans some of which the IFS duly picked the next day.
    P, K & B.

Sa v Ind, Ars v Ev *smug face*.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, that's an interesting summary of divided Ukraine.

For those interested, there's a programme about the terracotta army from 8pm on Ch4 tonight. Not sure if I'll watch it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    SMukesh said:

Funny that.Your lot have a habit of stealing policies,so is it any surprise Labour will keep it`s economic policies under wraps till close to the election.This is the time to oppose and they are doing that well as the poll leads show.
    And what did GB do in 1997. Stealing someones policies is not exclusive to either side.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Ms Vance, seen it and it's quite funny.

Mr Mukesh and Flockers_pb if you really believe what you write then as I say I am open to offers, the end date should be the 2015 GE or whenever it is held.

Ars v Ev draw looking good, wish I hadn't cashed out at half-time now.

I take exception at being compared to Mr Mukesh, who has just posted one of the most easily dismissable counter-factuals ever seen on PB!

My point is not that I think Ed Balls will be chancellor, but that (i) politicians are routinely in and outr of deep trouble and it generally pays not to bet on a politician being removed (ii) Labour would be wrong to remove him given that (a) it doesn't solve Labour's collective lack of recognition of economic reality, (b) he's been pretty effective until this week (despite being wrong about everything), (c) moving or removing him is fraught with risk and (d) there is no ready replacement. The markets agree with me, hence Balls is heavily odds on to stay.

Beyond that I do believe Labour have a very good chance of winning the next election, for the reasons I stated: the electoral boundries, the collapse in LD support, the emergence of UKIP, public dislike of economic pain and the Tories' shortcomings. I dearly hope Labour fail and believe they deserve to. I believe they still may fail, because the coalition has generally made the right economic decisions and governed reasonably well. But in my book Labour are (fairly narrow) favourites to lead the government after the next election. Again the markets agree with me.

One of the reasons I am not particularly interested in betting on Balls becoming chancellor is because it combines too many elements; not just will Balls make it to the election and will Labour win, but will Labour win outright or form a coalition (in which case a Liberal Democrat or less personally objectional Labourite might get the job), and if Labour wins outright will Miliband choose to knife Balls then. Too many uncertainties.
  • Options
    Mr. D, it's unfair to criticise Brown for stealing ideas. When he was copying the Conservatives the economy was doing alright. It's when he started trying to think for himself that everything began going downhill.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Mr. Charles, that's an interesting summary of divided Ukraine.

For those interested, there's a programme about the terracotta army from 8pm on Ch4 tonight. Not sure if I'll watch it.

The problem which everyone in the West (ie US/Europe not Ukraine) forgets is that Muskovy was originally a trading outpost founded by the Rus who lived in Kiev.

Russia views Kiev as its mother city. It isn't going to give up influence over Ukraine without a fight (hopefully not literally). It's a bit like the Serbia obsession about Kosovo which people didn't understand until they understood the significance of the Battle of Blackbird's Field.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

SMukesh said:

Swiss_Bob said:

P, K & B.

Sa v Ind, Ars v Ev *smug face*.
    Well we all wished we'd bet more/not hedged on our winners and less on our losers ;)
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Well Osborne hasn`t got the arguments to make,hence he gets the Tory MP`s to drown out the shadow chancellor`s speech.Then his press henchmen and the impartial commentator on the BBC who used to be a member of the Conservative party try to go to town to create doubts about Ed Balls.If Osborne was so confident,he would have let his opponent speak and win by force of argument rather than employ school-boy politics.
    You missed out the bit where Osborne gets PaddyPower to put up a "Balls replacement market"...

Balls has lost the macroeconomic argument so has tried to divert attention to the "Cost of Living Crisis" which started a decade ago under Labour, but was disguised by the credit binge we are violently hung over from.

A "brave" move, given none of the parties have credible solutions to the productivity improvement required in the Private sector - and Labour in particular counter productive policies in the public sector....
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    Britain's biggest problem - the "Ethnic English". An interesting viewpoint
    from Canada.

""Once a tolerant, welcoming people who thrived in scholarship and commerce, they have become a drag. Sorry, Gran"

http://goo.gl/yD5EXr

• Options
    @ShippersUnbound

Fascinated by this idea that Tories are frightened of Balls. They are certainly irritated by him. But they also think he helps them win.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Conservative campaign headquarters has identified six pivotal subjects: the economy, immigration, welfare, Europe, tax and crime."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2519941/JAMES-FORSYTH-David-Camerons-headless-chickens-roasting.html
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Union candidate beats compelling bedroom tax campaigner in Falkirk. Pam Duncan, a grassroots voice for Labour shafted by vested interests.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tim said:

Osborne 32

Balls 22

Don't Know 46

How to scare tim the pb minx off the site for a couple of hours sulking?

Just ask him to forecast this month's MORI Leader Approval ratings.

Never fails.
    Remind me - what's the latest on that please?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Union candidate beats compelling bedroom tax campaigner in Falkirk. Pam Duncan, a grassroots voice for Labour shafted by vested interests.

With great respect I don't think that Harry Cole is an objective observer.

• Options
    edited December 2013

from Canada.

""Once a tolerant, welcoming people who thrived in scholarship and commerce, they have become a drag. Sorry, Gran"

I guess that's what happens when for a few years we had an immigration minister who won elections by making the white folk angry.
  • Options
    TSE - pls bet on Liverpool next week.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

TSE - pls bet on Liverpool next week.

Thank you.

I'm backing Spurs. My last few Spurs bets have been profitable.
  • Options

from Canada.

Yes, we all know that it's OK to be racist towards the 'ethnic English', not that such a group exists as far as the left is concerned because then 'we' might have rights.

He'll be lucky if he survives Canada's hate speech laws but as it's the 'ethnic English' he's talking about he'll probably get a pass.
This discussion has been closed.