Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Sturgeon going his year an 11/10 bet

13»

Comments

• Options

Mr. Divvie, you're upset you had to wait a few years longer for Scotland to leave the EU?

Understandable.

I resent having major decisions imposed on my country by the politicians and voters of another country. I realise being able to choose EU membership for my country isn't the same order of magnitude as you poor lambs not having powerful enough toasters, but still..
    Except, your own voters decided in 2014 that we aren't "another country", but one and the same country.
    If only you were even slightly well known, you telling Scots that Scotland isn't a country would do wonders for the cause.
    Scots had a choice to be an independent country.

They made the wrong choice, but its their choice not Mark's. Blame your compatriots.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I mentioned this was happening in Newham last week, and PB was 100% positive about it. Would be a shame if it only started being bad now it’s the SNP
    Honestly I don’t see the problem

If he was performing is act to the children that would be wrong

But he’s reading to them for goodness sake. Kids benefit from being read to. Just because someone is a performer who’s act isn’t to everyone’s taste that doesn’t exclude him from making a contribution to society in other ways
    I'm fairly certain the BBC bed time story has been read by actors who have said rude words in other shows.

Civilisation has not collapsed.
    Its a bit more than "rude words"

https://twitter.com/dailystar/status/1232211417551507457?s=20
    So long as he's not performing sex acts in front of kids, who gives a flying f**k?
    Some of the 4 year old's parents and the council.
    So not the kids? The kids are perfectly fine being read to?

Those parents need to get the stick out of their arse.
    If you think an adequate test of what you should do to a 4 year old is what the 4 year old is "perfectly fine with" I hope to God you aren't a parent.
    I am a parent of a 3 year old and a 5 year old and I'd be 100% happy for my own children to hear a children's story read to them by someone in drag.

What is your objection? His private life, the children's story, or the drag?

Private life is private and I'm educated and capable enough to distinguish between the two.
    I think the issue is there's 'drag' and then there's 'drag'. we're all used to pantomime dames and the like, and I think most people would consider that 'family friendly',

Then there's highly sexualised adult drag acts. The question is which is any elements of the second were presented.
    Indeed and it seems like the answer to the question is "none" and what was done in front of the kids was "reading a story".

Since all this bullshit moral panic is about stuff from his other shows not done to the kids - I'm pretty sure if there'd been an X-rated performance to the children then that would have been reported and that would be different!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I mentioned this was happening in Newham last week, and PB was 100% positive about it. Would be a shame if it only started being bad now it’s the SNP

But he’s reading to them for goodness sake. Kids benefit from being read to. Just because someone is a performer who’s act isn’t to everyone’s taste that doesn’t exclude him from making a contribution to society in other ways
    I'm fairly certain the BBC bed time story has been read by actors who have said rude words in other shows.

So long as he's not performing sex acts in front of kids, who gives a flying f**k?
    This SNP MSP too?

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/status/1232053816989753345?s=20
    If James Doran and Monica Lennon are against it then that pretty much guarantees it is a good thing.
  • Options
    g

Here is a kg per capita chart. An inconvenient truth that our sugar consumption hasn’t increased. Prepare for your mind to be blown, but child obesity is pretty flat also over the last decade.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

I stopped drinking coke overnight.

Turns out quitting fizzy drink is easy with the right motivation (I had something of a medical problem that made me somewhat improve my diet [it wasn't atrocious, but had room for improvement]). All you need is some stabbing pain.

Well done. Coke, in all forms, is horrendously bad.

I found this book really useful as it goes through the pluses and minuses of different approaches to diet, with some of the science behind nutrition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K8DSURY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

Yes. Him too. I don't see why you think it matters about party politics, I'm a Tory not SNP so what difference does that make?
    Isn't the point here that what he gets up to away from reading books to kids isn't incidental to the visit?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

If you think an adequate test of what you should do to a 4 year old is what the 4 year old is "perfectly fine with" I hope to God you aren't a parent.
    I am a parent of a 3 year old and a 5 year old and I'd be 100% happy for my own children to hear a children's story read to them by someone in drag.

Private life is private and I'm educated and capable enough to distinguish between the two.
    This is not about "private life," the guy is not a story reader who just happens to be a drag queen in his spare time.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I think the issue is there's 'drag' and then there's 'drag'. we're all used to pantomime dames and the like, and I think most people would consider that 'family friendly',

Then there's highly sexualised adult drag acts. The question is which is any elements of the second were presented.
    Do you have any reason to believe it is?

I'll give you a parallel. Many top comedians do children's comedy, family comedy and adult comedy. If Bob Monkhouse had turned up at a school you wouldn't have been concerned that he was going to do his blue act.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    edited February 2020

I agree. I suppose the ONLY justification for repeating a vote is Brexit?

It's the justification for holding a second referendum sooner rather than later, but it is a big one. Scots rejected Brexit by a much bigger margin than the English endorsed it. Johnson is implementing Brexit as scorched earth without any reference to Scottish interests, including those of his own colleagues north of the border. There has been a very substantial change of circumstances since the last vote was taken in 2014.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,635
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Do you have any reason to believe it is?

I'll give you a parallel. Many top comedians do children's comedy, family comedy and adult comedy. If Bob Monkhouse had turned up at a school you wouldn't have been concerned that he was going to do his blue act.
    Sorry - I note my argument has already been said by others.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Food and Obesity

IEA Funding Source is “Irrelevant”
    In August 2014, the IEA released a report on obesity written by Snowdon, entitled The Fat Lie. [15] In a Channel 4 News interview about the report, Snowdon was pressed about the IEA’s funding and whether the think-tank received food industry money, however Snowdon said he did not know. He then added that it was “irrelevant” whether the IEA was taking food industry money or not.[16]
    Report Dismissed as “Laughable Nonsense”
    The obesity report was dismissed as “laughable nonsense which flies in the face of 50 years of science,” by nutrition expert, Dr Aseem Malhotra, a cardiologist from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, as well “completely wrong” by Professor Mike Lean, Chair of Human Nutrition at the University of Glasgow. [16]

Againstked for school breakfast clubs and school sports activities to help fight childhood obesity.[17]
    "People Against the Sugar Tax"
    Snowdon is a former Executive Board member of the so-called “grassroots campaign” against the SDIL, People Against Sugar Tax alongside amongst others Alex Deane, and Annunziata Rees-Mogg, the sister of Conservative politician, Jacob Rees-Mogg. [18] [19]
    The IEA and Sugar

Like other pro-smoking bloggers, such as Simon Clark and Martin Cullip, Snowdon has publically criticised leading tobacco control scientists by referring to them as “zealots”[32] and “extremists”.[33]

https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Christopher_Snowdon

Charming guy

Maybe. But he called out the child obesity panic. And in sugar consumption he is bang on. Show me a table / graph of sugar consumption the defies my claim that sugar consumption has steadily decreased over the last sixty years.
    Did you not look at the Government links I showed you? They are in there. Sugar consumption has NOT steadily decreased over the last sixty years, or even the last thirty years (why did you just move the goalpost?!).

I suspect you're looking at naked sugar i.e. little white sachets? The biggest problem with sugar consumption is how much of it is hidden inside processed foods.

And on childhood obesity you are, and I'm going to say this which is rare for me, a complete moron. Sorry. But you clearly are. Coupled with your comments about the 'monstrosity' of a LGBTQ speaker at a primary school I've got a pretty good picture of the kind of guy you are. Hopefully you will start to listen and change.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

Yes. Him too. I don't see why you think it matters about party politics, I'm a Tory not SNP so what difference does that make?
    The drag artist was brought to the school by an SNP MP Mhairi Black - who has called critics of her move homophobes. Presumably this includes SNP MSPs and the local council.

The issue is not just "a man in drag" (why is drag appropriate for LGBT issues, doesn't it simply reinforce stereotypes?) but this man in drag - to discuss "Section 28" introduced when he was age 4 and Ms Black age 1 - wouldn't it have been better to have someone who could discuss real life experience?
  • Options

nichomar said:

suspected cases on La Gomera,

'Suspected'? La Gomera is where Spain has been shunting coronavirus victims for quarantine.

No it hasn't.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

The drag artist was brought to the school by an SNP MP Mhairi Black - who has called critics of her move homophobes. Presumably this includes SNP MSPs and the local council.

The issue is not just "a man in drag" (why is drag appropriate for LGBT issues, doesn't it simply reinforce stereotypes?) but this man in drag - to discuss "Section 28" introduced when he was age 4 and Ms Black age 1 - wouldn't it have been better to have someone who could discuss real life experience?
    Section 28 existed for 12 years. When they were children. Who better to talk about the effect of section 28 on children than... People who were children when section 28 was in force?
  • Options

Food and Obesity

IEA Funding Source is “Irrelevant”
    In August 2014, the IEA released a report on obesity written by Snowdon, entitled The Fat Lie. [15] In a Channel 4 News interview about the report, Snowdon was pressed about the IEA’s funding and whether the think-tank received food industry money, however Snowdon said he did not know. He then added that it was “irrelevant” whether the IEA was taking food industry money or not.[16]
    Report Dismissed as “Laughable Nonsense”
    The obesity report was dismissed as “laughable nonsense which flies in the face of 50 years of science,” by nutrition expert, Dr Aseem Malhotra, a cardiologist from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, as well “completely wrong” by Professor Mike Lean, Chair of Human Nutrition at the University of Glasgow. [16]

Againstked for school breakfast clubs and school sports activities to help fight childhood obesity.[17]
    "People Against the Sugar Tax"
    Snowdon is a former Executive Board member of the so-called “grassroots campaign” against the SDIL, People Against Sugar Tax alongside amongst others Alex Deane, and Annunziata Rees-Mogg, the sister of Conservative politician, Jacob Rees-Mogg. [18] [19]
    The IEA and Sugar

Like other pro-smoking bloggers, such as Simon Clark and Martin Cullip, Snowdon has publically criticised leading tobacco control scientists by referring to them as “zealots”[32] and “extremists”.[33]

https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Christopher_Snowdon

Charming guy

Maybe. But he called out the child obesity panic. And in sugar consumption he is bang on. Show me a table / graph of sugar consumption the defies my claim that sugar consumption has steadily decreased over the last sixty years.
    Did you not look at the Government links I showed you? They are in there. Sugar consumption has NOT steadily decreased over the last sixty years, or even the last thirty years (why did you just move the goalpost?!).

I suspect you're looking at naked sugar i.e. little white sachets? The biggest problem with sugar consumption is how much of it is hidden inside processed foods.

And on childhood obesity you are, and I'm going to say this which is rare for me, a complete moron. Sorry. But you clearly are. Coupled with your comments about the 'monstrosity' of a LGBTQ speaker at a primary school I've got a pretty good picture of the kind of guy you are. Hopefully you will start to listen and change.
    You told us the other day that aeroplanes making emergency landings jettison every last drop of fuel before doing so; not only untrue, but also obviously untrue to anyone who thinks about it for a microsecond. So don't call people morons, dial back the knowitallery, and let's see a link for your claim that Spain is sending quarantine cases to La Gomera.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

Section 28 existed for 12 years. When they were children. Who better to talk about the effect of section 28 on children than... People who were children when section 28 was in force?
    Right, that sounds more appropriate for 12-14 year olds to me.
  • Options
    northernpowerhouse2northernpowerhouse2 Posts: 190
    edited February 2020

This is data from the child measuring programme. The black line is the line for England. I know when people throw things that are counter to a narrative it can be unsettling . But that doesn’t make it untrue. And pointing out these facts does not make me a moron. I think an apology is due.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the extraordinary headline run by the Guardian denouncing her for the religion she was a member of a new low in broadsheet journalism?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Mr. Divvie, you're upset you had to wait a few years longer for Scotland to leave the EU?

Understandable.

I resent having major decisions imposed on my country by the politicians and voters of another country. I realise being able to choose EU membership for my country isn't the same order of magnitude as you poor lambs not having powerful enough toasters, but still..
    Except, your own voters decided in 2014 that we aren't "another country", but one and the same country.
    If only you were even slightly well known, you telling Scots that Scotland isn't a country would do wonders for the cause.
    When push came to shove, the Scots decided it was UK first, Scotland second.

I don't need to say a thing. You, on the other hand, need some better arguments...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IshmaelZ said:

nichomar said:

'Suspected'? La Gomera is where Spain has been shunting coronavirus victims for quarantine.

No it hasn't.
    I could find no reference to it from what I can see spain appears to be covering every single suspected case and it’s outcome with rolling 24 hour coverage on RTVE
  • Options
    @Ishmael_Z : "knowitallery" is an amusing expression but comes with a heavy dollop of irony coming from you, one of PBs thankfully few pain-in-the-arse contrarians who never seems to express any real opinions of your own but enjoys attacking others with a degree of smugness that is painful to behold. Go and crawl back under your bridge.
  • Options
    Not sure I agree with the writer's conclusion - had a lot of time for Robertson at Westminster - whereas I suspect Cherry might be a more divisive figure.
    https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1232228113288957952?s=20
  • Options

Understandable.

They made the wrong choice, but its their choice not Mark's. Blame your compatriots.
    Fair enough, the 2014 referendum was notable for the non interference of English politicians, media and business (& on a very, very minor note, even English Unionist sockpuppets on forums like this).

Notable that Unionists on here who actually live in Scotland have a pragmatic & principled position on the matter, while various migrant Jocks, English Unionists and English nationalists not so much. Who'd have thunk?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    An interesting study which demonstrates that coronavirus is likely to be more contagious during the winter as that's when we get most other respiratory infections - if you've got a cold at the same time, you're more likely to sneeze:
    https://phys.org/news/2020-02-coronavirus-team-complexity-scientists-meme.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    edited February 2020

With you 100%. I gave up all forms of fizzy drink, which was pretty tough to start with but they are nearly all stuffed full of sugar. And the 'diet' ones contain fructose type substitutes which I don't trust.

As we're all anecdoting, for what it's worth I've had 2 cans of full-fat Coke most days for the last 50 years (I used to have more but decided it was a bit silly). I'm not overweight and have normal glucose levels. I never have sugar in coffee or tea, never eat snacks between meals, avoid cakes, run up stairs, etc., so if one really likes it (as I obviously do) then it's possible to drink it and compensate in other ways. Not recommending this addiction to anyone, but just saying that focusing only on one kind of sugar source can give misleading conclusions.
  • Options

@Ishmael_Z : "knowitallery" is an amusing expression but comes with a heavy dollop of irony coming from you, one of PBs thankfully few pain-in-the-arse contrarians who never seems to express any real opinions of your own but enjoys attacking others with a degree of smugness that is painful to behold. Go and crawl back under your bridge.

Thanks Nigel.

You not only caused me not only to formulate the principle that a PB poster's intelligence varies inversely with his propensity to call other posters stupid, but to christen this principle Foremain's Law. Keep up the good work.
  • Options

I don't need to say a thing.

And yet..
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I did not know, and am astonished to find out, that Harvey Weinstein was awarded a CBE in 2004 for "services to the British film industry".

Who comes up with these ideas?

Was this yet another Tony Blair sleaze wheeze?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    LOL
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/25/boxing-deontay-wilder-blames-ring-walk-outfit-knockout-loss-tyson-fury
    Deontay Wilder has said the elaborate outfit he wore on his ring walk weighed 40 pounds and was the key reason for his defeat to Tyson Fury. The beaten former champion added that he plans to trigger a clause in his contract for a second rematch.

Wilder said the outfit, worn to represent Black History Month, weighed him down so much that he didn’t have the legs to withstand Fury’s early assault in their Las Vegas heavyweight title fight on Saturday.

“He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is my uniform was way too heavy for me,” Wilder told Yahoo Sports. “I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through. But I’m a warrior and people know that I’m a warrior.”...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IshmaelZ said:

nichomar said:

No it hasn't.
    I could find no reference to it from what I can see spain appears to be covering every single suspected case and it’s outcome with rolling 24 hour coverage on RTVE
    There may be some confusion - the first case (a German tourist) was identified on La Gomera, the second (a Brit, part of the Brighton patient/French alps group) in Palma de Mallorca and the third (Italian Doctor from Lombardy) in Tenerife - so far, only three....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An interesting study which demonstrates that coronavirus is likely to be more contagious during the winter as that's when we get most other respiratory infections - if you've got a cold at the same time, you're more likely to sneeze:
    https://phys.org/news/2020-02-coronavirus-team-complexity-scientists-meme.html

Which would help explain why so far it's mainly a cold climate phenomenon.
  • Options

With you 100%. I gave up all forms of fizzy drink, which was pretty tough to start with but they are nearly all stuffed full of sugar. And the 'diet' ones contain fructose type substitutes which I don't trust.

As we're all anecdoting, for what it's worth I've had 2 cans of full-fat Coke most days for the last 50 years (I used to have more but decided it was a bit silly). I'm not overweight and have normal glucose levels. I never have sugar in coffee or tea, never eat snacks between meals, avoid cakes, run up stairs, etc., so if one really likes it (as I obviously do) then it's possible to drink it and compensate in other ways. Not recommending this addiction to anyone, but just saying that focusing only on one kind of sugar source can give misleading conclusions.
    Pedant alert... Coke doesn’t contain any fat... I find myself drinking a lot of artificial sweetened drinks. And while there is no evidence of any harm within the guidelines consumption it would probably be better to just drink water.
  • Options

I did not know, and am astonished to find out, that Harvey Weinstein was awarded a CBE in 2004 for "services to the British film industry".

Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG says hello. You only know what you know, when you know it.
  • Options

Why does "this" man in drag matter? People have a right to a private life and the element of his private life that isn't child friendly isn't what was being discussed with the children.

I would not want my children to see a sex act of any kind. Does that mean only virgins should interact with children? I'm pretty sure most parents have sex, does that make them incapable? Or do we simply know not to have sex in front of kids? Are we mature enough to know what is child friendly and what is not?

So long as his performance of reading a story book was child friendly what he does elsewhere is completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    IshmaelZ said:

Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG says hello. You only know what you know, when you know it.
    Roman Polanski - who was given plenty of honours long after his rape of an under-age child was known about.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

HYUFD said:
    Am I the only one who thinks the extraordinary headline run by the Guardian denouncing her for the religion she was a member of a new low in broadsheet journalism?
    Was it rather that the sect to which she belongs has a 'chequered' history. Or, at least it's founder has? Were there not similar concerns over Ruth Kelly, as an active member of Opus Dei?
    Not suggesting, of course that Opus Dei had a dodgy founder.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,699
    edited February 2020

Why does "this" man in drag matter? People have a right to a private life
    What you post on Instagram and Twitter is not part of your "private life". Unless you think children don't know how to use the internet.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Nicola Sturgeon does sound quite fed up. If she's no longer interested, it's probably a bad sign.

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    Boris seems to be doing Nicola's bidding at the moment. He should have agreed to have an immediate referendum. It would have destroyed the SNP.
    Even if that were true, and it isn’t, it’s practically impossible for the UK govt to allow a Scottish referendum while negox are ongoing with the EU about Brexit.

For instance, the EU would rightly say, Do these Fisheries agreements apply to Scottish waters given that Scotland may be independent in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

There won’t be an indyref 2 until the late 2020s, at the earliest
    Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections on a manifesto of a second referendum I really don't see how Boris continues to say no, certainly for not more than a year.

Still a long haul for Nicola though. May next year for the election, then the inevitable haggling, then the campaign. If the SNP win I think it will be in 2022 or 2023. Of course without Nicola they might find it a lot harder to win that majority. Without it its just not happening.
    You don’t get Boris. He’s just gonna say No. London has learned from Madrid (minus the soldiers and truncheons). You have to be tough on secessionists.
    He’s not being tough, he’s being fair

The question was asked and answered

You don’t get a do-over

The Spanish are just thugs
    If a majority of the Scottish people vote for parties committed to a referendum in 2021 then they are entitled to a "do-over" regardless of what any politician might have said at the time. It is a decision for the Scottish people, not the SNP or Boris. I of course will be doing my modest bit to stop that from happening but ignoring such a vote isn't tough, its undemocratic, stupid and damaging.
    It’s a decision for Westminster. There are plenty of reasons for voting SNP that are not about independence
    Plenty of reasons to vote Tory that are not about Brexit...
    Sure. But people voting for a Tory MP gave them a majority in Parliament to fulfil their manifesto. The Scottish Parliament doesn’t have the right to call a referendum as that ya a reserved power.

Westminister authorised a referendum in 2014. I’m sure they will again in future but there needs to be some passage of time
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Savile was not an American citizen.

I mean, how much time has Weinstein actually spent in the UK ? His connection to this country seems incredibly tenuous.

Still, Tony "Gotta Get More Moolah" Blair looked at the bank balance first, I guess.

It was just a straightforward bit of business.
  • Options

Pedant alert... Coke doesn’t contain any fat... I find myself drinking a lot of artificial sweetened drinks. And while there is no evidence of any harm within the guidelines consumption it would probably be better to just drink water.
    Just in case you didn't know, although I'm sure you do, but 'full-fat' Coke means the ordinary, fairly high sugar version, as opposed to sugar-free Diet Coke.
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Nicola Sturgeon does sound quite fed up. If she's no longer interested, it's probably a bad sign.

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    Boris seems to be doing Nicola's bidding at the moment. He should have agreed to have an immediate referendum. It would have destroyed the SNP.
    Even if that were true, and it isn’t, it’s practically impossible for the UK govt to allow a Scottish referendum while negox are ongoing with the EU about Brexit.

For instance, the EU would rightly say, Do these Fisheries agreements apply to Scottish waters given that Scotland may be independent in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections on a manifesto of a second referendum I really don't see how Boris continues to say no, certainly for not more than a year.

Still a long haul for Nicola though. May next year for the election, then the inevitable haggling, then the campaign. If the SNP win I think it will be in 2022 or 2023. Of course without Nicola they might find it a lot harder to win that majority. Without it its just not happening.
    He says "no", the SNP moan about it, then what?

The SNP aren't prepared to UDI or hold an illegal referendum and the generation quote gives him a figleaf to say no and move on.
    Yip, Boris says no, the SNP shut up and Boris rules gloriously for a few decades... Or not.

I would certainly not venture to guess how far the SNP would go in pursuit of their dream of an independent panacea.

At the VERY minimum they could; test out the case for ref 2 in court (who knows what would happen), win Hollyrood 2021 (likely), withdraw all their MPs and MSPs triggering a constitutional crisis as Scotland wouldn't have a government, use mass resignations and by election's as a perfectly legal 'indicatory' referendum.

And that's just off the top of my head. We're in for a bumpy ride.
    If they don’t sit in Holyrood the next largest party forms the government
    How long do you think such a government could sustain itself, and how credible would any legislation passed by that government be (though given the diaphanous nature of SCon policies that may be a moot point)?
    It would be a suboptimal set up...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Nigelb said:

LOL
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/25/boxing-deontay-wilder-blames-ring-walk-outfit-knockout-loss-tyson-fury
    Deontay Wilder has said the elaborate outfit he wore on his ring walk weighed 40 pounds and was the key reason for his defeat to Tyson Fury. The beaten former champion added that he plans to trigger a clause in his contract for a second rematch.

Wilder said the outfit, worn to represent Black History Month, weighed him down so much that he didn’t have the legs to withstand Fury’s early assault in their Las Vegas heavyweight title fight on Saturday.

“He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is my uniform was way too heavy for me,” Wilder told Yahoo Sports. “I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through. But I’m a warrior and people know that I’m a warrior.”...

It's an argument - but surely on days like that you practice everything before heading to the ring..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

Anecdotes from smokers who make it to age 100 are of limited value in shining any light on whether it is healthy or not.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roman Polanski - who was given plenty of honours long after his rape of an under-age child was known about.
    Polanski's movies deserve honours. Chinatown is a masterpiece.

I think it is fine to honour the movie-making.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

It’s a decision for Westminster. There are plenty of reasons for voting SNP that are not about independence

I struggle to think of one personally. But if the Lib Dems had a majority in this Parliament on the back of their policy to simply revoke the Article 50 notice that would have been the choice of the British people and the democratic consequence. This is how democracy works and the idea that Scots get democracy when the UK feels like it is dangerous and destabilising.
    It was an explicitly reserved power. The Sp doesn’t get to play fast and loose with the rules.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This is not about "private life," the guy is not a story reader who just happens to be a drag queen in his spare time.
    Actually that's EXACTLY what he is to the children. They saw the story reading and heard about the drag in a child safe manner and that's it.

Next time I drop my daughter off at nursery should I ask all the young women who work there about their sexual preferences to ensure they're safe for my daughter? Or should I have confidence that the way they'll behave in front of my daughter will be appropriate and what they do at night is none of my business?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I mean, how much time has Weinstein actually spent in the UK ? His connection to this country seems incredibly tenuous.

Still, Tony "Gotta Get More Moolah" Blair looked at the bank balance first, I guess.

Wasn't Kissinger 'knighted'?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Wasn't Kissinger 'knighted'?
    And I am asking why?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Nicola Sturgeon does

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    Boris seems to be
    in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

Not sure about
    You don’t get Boris. He’s just gonna say No. London has learned from Madrid (minus the soldiers and truncheons). You have to be tough on secessionists.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the
    You mean, like their awesome track record of competence on transport, education and healthcare?
    And don't forget our Police, criminal justice and Fire Service.
    Not that the rest of the UK is much better run. Today's Marmot report is pretty damaging. This is a good summary, 10 years on from the original much has got worse:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1232199541123960832?s=09
    The carpet doesn’t match the curtains. Child poverty lower than when tories took office and the “growth” of life expectancy has stalled, not fallen. Life expectancy has increased.
    ONS:
    “Today’s life tables show the slowdown in life expectancy improvements observed since 2011 is continuing. Between 2016 and 2018 we have seen much lower increases than experienced in previous decades. Nevertheless, life expectancy is still increasing.

“The causes behind the overall slowdown are likely to be complex. As we see another year of low life expectancy improvements, we will continue our work to understand more about the causes behind this.”
    Sure, be complacent, life expectancy continued to increase in other EU countries. Tories surely acknowledge that such grinding austerity was a driver of both Brexit and Tory voting in the left behind towns. If they do not then they are liable to a rude awakening.

To quote from the report, for the poorest 10% of women life expectancy is declining:

"The more deprived the area, the shorter the life expectancy. This social gradient has become steeper over the last decade, and it is women in the most deprived 10% of areas for whom life expectancy fell from 2010-12 and 2016-18."
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Surely likely to end in a by-election
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Looks like a good day for Biden

27, 28, 36% in latest South Carolina polls

Ratioed tweet for Bloomberg
    https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1232004382436274178

& Clyburn endorsement in SC incoming (Who is a big cheese there apparently)
  • Options

Just in case you didn't know, although I'm sure you do, but 'full-fat' Coke means the ordinary, fairly high sugar version, as opposed to sugar-free Diet Coke.
    According to a new study published Thursday in the American Heart Association’s journal Stroke, people who drank at least one artificially-sweetened beverage a day had almost three times the risk of developing stroke or dementia.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited February 2020
    When I was a kid starting at the age of 2 or 3, I used to get taken to see a drag act every Xmas. Full of lewd jokes it was. Blokes as women, women as men. Normally very funny, especially the years they also had that Cheggars. You know the bloke, he did a programme on telly with his willy out.

Mind you, as all the other kids, I was just there for the slapstick and the chanting. Very glad there was no moralising going on, that would’ve made for a dreadfully dull show.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Then by the same token presumably it is fine to honour Weinstein’s movie-making. He was a very good successful producer after all and lots of his films won awards.

My point is that Weinstein is now rightly shunned for his criminal and disgusting behaviour. Polanski, OTOH, has not been, despite his own criminal and disgusting behaviour. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to people’s reactions.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    It happened in 2007.

It is not very edifying, but it seems to me to fall into the same category as Nick Clegg's torching of cactus houses.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

According to a new study published Thursday in the American Heart Association’s journal Stroke, people who drank at least one artificially-sweetened beverage a day had almost three times the risk of developing stroke or dementia.
    Not too surprised. Personally I rarely drink such things. AFAIK there are no artificial sweeteners in pints of beer, glasses of wine, or water.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    In the "Ram's Head".......
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

LOL

Tyson Fury made sure he was carried to the ring so as not to expend extra energy.
    Seriously if that's the reason Wilder lost (It's not), then his lack of stamina will kill him next time too. He probably needs to come in a bit lighter next time too (He'll lose again whatever he does mind), Joshua looked much better when he dropped some weight (And yes that can include muscle) for his second Ruiz fight.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Then by the same token presumably it is fine to honour Weinstein’s movie-making. He was a very good successful producer after all and lots of his films won awards.

My point is that Weinstein is now rightly shunned for his criminal and disgusting behaviour. Polanski, OTOH, has not been, despite his own criminal and disgusting behaviour. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to people’s reactions.
    It is fine to honour Polanski's films. It is fine to honour Weinstein's films (although the producer is not usually thought of as the creative force behind the film).

Unless you shun Eric Gill or Caravaggio, refuse to use Schrodinger's equation and boycott Feynman's quantum electrodynamics, the life of an individual is completely divorced from the work.

With Weinstein, I am very surprised that someone with such a modest connection with the UK was created a CBE for "services to the British film industry".
  • Options

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    It happened in 2007.

It is not very edifying, but it seems to me to fall into the same category as Nick Clegg's torching of cactus houses.
    It seems to have been a consensual thing, and therefore not the offence of indecent exposure, so he might be ok.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

That’s one reason I’ll take no lectures from Hollywood celebs.

They’ll excuse anything if it helps their own careers.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Those numbers are terrible for Bloomberg.
  • Options

Understandable.

However your fellow Scots were asked BEFORE the EU vote whether they were an independent country or part of the U.K.

They chose to continue as part of the U.K. and there voted on EU membership as part of the U.K.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Those numbers are terrible for Bloomberg.
    Michael Moore makes a fair point here:

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1232141948359708673
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Forget it, Cycle free, it's peadotown.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is difficult to see how actresses associated with Weinstein like Meryl Streep could have been completely unaware of what seems to have been common knowledge in Hollywood for at least a decade.

At least Quentin Tarantino has admitted that he should have done more.

There must be many people associated with Miramax who must have known -- and enabled -- this criminality.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

He’s making a different point

I agree with you that it’s fine this guy read to kids. I agree with him that it may not have been a smart idea
  • Options
    Morning all, delighted to see this thread. I have been getting laughed at by my Nat chums (as opposed to obnoxious characters like Malcolm G) for suggesting for months La Sturgeon may not survive the year. I have been hearing rumblings for months. She doesn't want to call IndyRef2 because she knows she would lose it but the hothead brigade are desperate to hold it and like Corbyn's supporters did ahead of December, confused a loud and large mob shouting with what the actual voters would choose to do in the privacy of the polling booth.

Personally I like Angus Robertson but as he is neither an MSP nor an MP, I cannot see how he could stand this year. In addition I am sure someone told me that he had recently come out and there is a large reactionary working class group who would not want an openly homosexual man for party leader. In addition he is probably too posh for many of them.

Kate Forbes is too young and inexperienced and John Swinney is like George Osborne, good for the role of organ grinder but not for that of the monkey. I suspect if there is an election for leader soon, it is Keith Brown's to lose.

HOWEVER we will see who is left standing in the aftermath of the Alex Salmond trial. If he thinks he is going to go down, I suspect he will ensure he takes down as many of his opponents within the SNP with him!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    HYUFD said:
    I wonder what NHBC and Premier think about that.
  • Options
    Daft cock.

Imagine there'll be a by-election.
  • Options
    NV Popular vote numbers

Candidate Pop
    Vote %
    Bernard "Bernie" Sanders 35,652 33.99%
    Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden, Jr. 18,424 17.57%
    Peter Paul Montgomery "Pete" Buttigieg 16,102 15.35%
    Elizabeth Ann Warren 13,438 12.81%
    Amy Jean Klobuchar 10,100 9.63%
    Thomas Fahr "Tom" Steyer 9,503 9.06%
    Andrew Yang 612 0.58%
    Uncommitted 472 0.45%
    Tulsi Gabbard 353 0.34%

Gabbard beaten by Yang, who has dropped out !
  • Options

Understandable.

Fair enough, the 2014 referendum was notable for the non interference of English politicians, media and business (& on a very, very minor note, even English Unionist sockpuppets on forums like this).

Notable that Unionists on here who actually live in Scotland have a pragmatic & principled position on the matter, while various migrant Jocks, English Unionists and English nationalists not so much. Who'd have thunk?
    I hope you accept that my wife and I have a pragmatic and principled position on independence and while we live in Wales, we support the union but also accept that in the event the SNP win Holyrood 2021 on a referendum demand, then Boris must agree to that, if nothing else that is democracy

Notwithstanding, we both expect the Scots to vote to stay in the union
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    IanB2 said:

Perhaps many of them are drinking artificially-sweetened drinks as part of a diet because they are fat?
  • Options

Morning all, delighted to see this thread. I have been getting laughed at by my Nat chums (as opposed to obnoxious characters like Malcolm G) for suggesting for months La Sturgeon may not survive the year. I have been hearing rumblings for months. She doesn't want to call IndyRef2 because she knows she would lose it but the hothead brigade are desperate to hold it and like Corbyn's supporters did ahead of December, confused a loud and large mob shouting with what the actual voters would choose to do in the privacy of the polling booth.

Personally I like Angus Robertson but as he is neither an MSP nor an MP, I cannot see how he could stand this year. In addition I am sure someone told me that he had recently come out and there is a large reactionary working class group who would not want an openly homosexual man for party leader. In addition he is probably too posh for many of them.

Kate Forbes is too young and inexperienced and John Swinney is like George Osborne, good for the role of organ grinder but not for that of the monkey. I suspect if there is an election for leader soon, it is Keith Brown's to lose.

HOWEVER we will see who is left standing in the aftermath of the Alex Salmond trial. If he thinks he is going to go down, I suspect he will ensure he takes down as many of his opponents within the SNP with him!

How is the Tory surge in the North going?
  • Options

I am sure someone told me that he had recently come out and there is a large reactionary working class group who would not want an openly homosexual man for party leader.

Can't find anything on t'net to back that up - and given he got married 4 years ago it seems a tad unlikely...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited February 2020

Here's the thing. There is a lot of the "I've done this/that/the other and I'm fine" talk. Not just from you (I just picked this post to respond to) - but from many in society. Thing is, an accumulation of all kinds of things will in all probably not be any kind of a problem...until it is a problem.

To take Nick's Coke. I'm sure it is absolutely fine. But to go to an extreme, there were probably millions of smokers who said "I've smoked for the past 50 years and it hasn't done me any harm", moments before they were diagnosed with lung cancer.

I avoid aspartame for no good reason other than it seems a bit dodge. Conversely, my anecdote is that I used to drink a lot of caffeinated coffee and then started to get bad indigestion. My doc said (which I had not known) that 75% of indigestion is caused by...caffeine. I cut it out and I am now indigestion-free!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

NV Popular vote numbers

Candidate Pop
    Vote %
    Bernard "Bernie" Sanders 35,652 33.99%
    Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden, Jr. 18,424 17.57%
    Peter Paul Montgomery "Pete" Buttigieg 16,102 15.35%
    Elizabeth Ann Warren 13,438 12.81%
    Amy Jean Klobuchar 10,100 9.63%
    Thomas Fahr "Tom" Steyer 9,503 9.06%
    Andrew Yang 612 0.58%
    Uncommitted 472 0.45%
    Tulsi Gabbard 353 0.34%

Gabbard beaten by Yang, who has dropped out !

Gabbard beaten by 'Uncommitted' who was never in!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

Where on earth did you hear that about Robertson? He only got married in 2016. Robertson would be a strong candidate but he needs to get into Holyrood.
  • Options
    Nice to see this little gesture against an outraged Twitter mob:
    https://twitter.com/JohnHealey_MP/status/1232241197692915712
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Perhaps many of them are drinking artificially-sweetened drinks as part of a diet because they are fat?
    There is evidence that diet drinks stimulate the appetite at much as regular ones.

Personally, I sometimes have a regular Coke as a pick me up. It is equivalent to 6 sugar cubes, but a plate of pasta can easily be 4 times that in carbohydrates. Mostly I drink black coffee or herb tea though, and prefer these unsweetened. Cutting back on sugar and salt for a few weeks is like cutting out meat, it allows your tastebuds to appreciate more subtle flavours.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

It is difficult to see how actresses associated with Weinstein like Meryl Streep could have been completely unaware of what seems to have been common knowledge in Hollywood for at least a decade.

At least Quentin Tarantino has admitted that he should have done more.

There must be many people associated with Miramax who must have known -- and enabled -- this criminality.
    Weinstein used his position money and reputation to intiidate people from going public with what they knew. The threat of a very expensive law suit and suddenly finding that there are no jobs available in the film industry is enough to dissuade most people from blowing the whistle.

If only one woman had made her public allegations against Weinstein, I think it is unlikely that the case would have come to court. Because several women with strong cases went public *and* many others lacking enough evidence for a court case also went public that a sucessful prosecution was possible.

Although "Not blowing the whistle" is bad, I can also understand it, and think it is harsh to criticise peope for keeping quiet.
  • Options

Understandable.

I hope you accept that my wife and I have a pragmatic and principled position on independence and while we live in Wales, we support the union but also accept that in the event the SNP win Holyrood 2021 on a referendum demand, then Boris must agree to that, if nothing else that is democracy

Notwithstanding, we both expect the Scots to vote to stay in the union
    Yes Big G, you have been consistent on that for which I applaud you.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:
    It happened in 2007.

It seems to have been a consensual thing, and therefore not the offence of indecent exposure, so he might be ok.
    Because dropping your trousers and lifting your shirt on request is just the behaviour we are looking for from our legislators?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,990
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the Scottish people vote for parties committed to a referendum in 2021 then they are entitled to a "do-over" regardless of what any politician might have said at the time. It is a decision for the Scottish people, not the SNP or Boris. I of course will be doing my modest bit to stop that from happening but ignoring such a vote isn't tough, its undemocratic, stupid and damaging.
    Absolute bollox, 2021 will be fought on independence. It is none of Westminster's business if Scotland wants to exit the crappy unequal union.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, you and him are like a pair of ancient wally dugs, get into the 21st century.
    PS that was to other post re idiot Dornon and your joint shock at someone daring to be a drag queen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections ty. Without it its just not happening.

You don’t get a do-over

2014 was in Salmond's own words 'a once in a generation referendum', No to independence won and the Tories won the general election with a manifesto commitment to no indyref2 for their full term, so Boris will block indyref2 whatever happens next year at Holyrood.

However an SNP majority is not guaranteed, the Tories got 25% at the last general election which would still be up on the 22% they got at Holyrood 2016 and Starmer polls well in Scotland, better thsn both Ed Miliband and Corbyn did so Labour could win back a few seats from the SNP too if he becomes leader.

Wings over Scotland is also preparing candidates for a new independence party on the list in fury at Sturgeon's dithering, that party could end up costing the SNP list seats without gaining enough votes to win any list seats itself and thus split the pro independence vote
    You lying toerag, that is just a bundle of bullshit. Goebbels was more honest than you.
This discussion has been closed.