Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make Sturgeon going his year an 11/10 bet

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

Dura_Ace said:

Does anyone contest that it's very hard to maintain a healthy vegan diet?

Vegetarian, no problem - vegan, very hard to get all the required nutrients.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. It's time consuming as one has to plan ahead and prepare almost every meal from scratch with fresh ingredients but it is, by no means, "very hard".

I'm 52 and weigh the same as I did when I was 21. I highly doubt that would be the case if I were subscribing to the morally bankrupt religion of carnism.
    I'm older than you. I've lost 5kg and 4 cm off my waist in a year. I'm fitter, faster and lifting more in the gym than I was 10 years ago. Just walked my fitness test and BA Reacreditation when some half my age have struggled. As you say, food planning and prep is key, but by no means a problem. I just feel generally healthier, physically and mentally and as long as you keep off the processed meat substitutes it's cheap as well. The ethical side is a happy bonus too.
    Most diets are effective simply due to discipline. The rest is confirmation bias.

And most vegans don't stay that way. They go back to a balanced diet. Due to (err) health reasons.
    Any fitness regime means underlying commitment and, as Mr TFS3 says discipline. Must confess I've not gone vegan, or indeed veggie, and TBH I've no intention of doing so, but we've always eaten fresh food. I go to the gym two or three times a week too and have done for several years now, and I'm certainly doing more there ...... weights, walking further and so on...... than I was when I started.
    There's a new stair climbing machine too, which is quite demanding...... and useful ...... for someone who lives in a bungalow
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Delegates after 3 States:

Sanders 43
    Buttigieg 26
    Biden 13
    Warren 8
    Klobuchar 7

So Sanders has 44% of delegates - not that far off 50%.

(4 more delegates still to be awarded in Nevada).

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/primaries-and-caucuses

Sanders 45
    Buttigieg 26
    Biden 15

Once they're all in.

No delegates for Buttigieg from South Carolina methinks
    It's possible that Buttigieg will get to 15% in one of the CDs, which would net him a single delegate. But more likely after SC, it'll be 30-odd to Sanders and 20 to Biden.

The reality continues to be that, unless we see multiple moderates leave the race between now and Super Tuesday, then Sanders is the nominee.
    And probably none will. Maybe Klobuchar.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. It's time consuming as one has to plan ahead and prepare almost every meal from scratch with fresh ingredients but it is, by no means, "very hard".

I'm 52 and weigh the same as I did when I was 21. I highly doubt that would be the case if I were subscribing to the morally bankrupt religion of carnism.
    I'm older than you. I've lost 5kg and 4 cm off my waist in a year. I'm fitter, faster and lifting more in the gym than I was 10 years ago. Just walked my fitness test and BA Reacreditation when some half my age have struggled. As you say, food planning and prep is key, but by no means a problem. I just feel generally healthier, physically and mentally and as long as you keep off the processed meat substitutes it's cheap as well. The ethical side is a happy bonus too.
    Most diets are effective simply due to discipline. The rest is confirmation bias.

And most vegans don't stay that way. They go back to a balanced diet. Due to (err) health reasons.
    Any fitness regime means underlying commitment and, as Mr TFS3 says discipline. Must confess I've not gone vegan, or indeed veggie, and TBH I've no intention of doing so, but we've always eaten fresh food. I go to the gym two or three times a week too and have done for several years now, and I'm certainly doing more there ...... weights, walking further and so on...... than I was when I started.
    There's a new stair climbing machine too, which is quite demanding...... and useful ...... for someone who lives in a bungalow
    Great work!
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

That sounds like a great regime.

All I’m arguing for is a balanced diet and a bit of common sense.

I don’t think there’s much room for ideology either way.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Germans have good sense of humour............ hat tip to grousebeater

https://twitter.com/Grouse_Beater/status/1232070779224895490/photo/1

The EU are desperate for Scotland to leave.
  • Options
    Some people just can’t keep their hands off the Hillary Clinton tiller.

After flying out to 60s yesterday, she’s back in to the 45s today.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT,

Worse even than Weinstein were the shocking allegations made by his daughter against Australian Labor politician Bob Hawke.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50704179

When raped by another Labor politician, his daughter was told by Bob "You can’t [go to the police]. I can’t have any controversies right now. I am sorry but I am challenging for the leadership of the Labor Party.”

Whatever happened to the Labour woman whose rape claim was swept under the carpet a year or so back?
    Or the one where John Prescott’s son shat on the desk of a labour staffer who refused to sleep with him.
    Eeuugh!
    If you found that distasteful do not, I repeat do NOT google

Sage Kelly New York Post
    There's a moral somewhere in that story...
    They were magic not morels
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Nicola Sturgeon does sound quite fed up. If she's no longer interested, it's probably a bad sign.

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    Boris seems to be doing Nicola's bidding at the moment. He should have agreed to have an immediate referendum. It would have destroyed the SNP.
    Even if that were true, and it isn’t, it’s practically impossible for the UK govt to allow a Scottish referendum while negox are ongoing with the EU about Brexit.

For instance, the EU would rightly say, Do these Fisheries agreements apply to Scottish waters given that Scotland may be independent in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

There won’t be an indyref 2 until the late 2020s, at the earliest
    Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections on a manifesto of a second referendum I really don't see how Boris continues to say no, certainly for not more than a year.

Still a long haul for Nicola though. May next year for the election, then the inevitable haggling, then the campaign. If the SNP win I think it will be in 2022 or 2023. Of course without Nicola they might find it a lot harder to win that majority. Without it its just not happening.
    You don’t get Boris. He’s just gonna say No. London has learned from Madrid (minus the soldiers and truncheons). You have to be tough on secessionists.
    He’s not being tough, he’s being fair

The question was asked and answered

You don’t get a do-over

The Spanish are just thugs
  • Options
    isam said:

I mentioned this was happening in Newham last week, and PB was 100% positive about it. Would be a shame if it only started being bad now it’s the SNP
    Honestly I don’t see the problem

If he was performing is act to the children that would be wrong

But he’s reading to them for goodness sake. Kids benefit from being read to. Just because someone is a performer who’s act isn’t to everyone’s taste that doesn’t exclude him from making a contribution to society in other ways
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Surely the smart bet is to put money on the most SNP figure whose surname is a type of fish?
  • Options

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Nicola Sturgeon does sound quite fed up. If she's no longer interested, it's probably a bad sign.

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    Boris seems to be doing Nicola's bidding at the moment. He should have agreed to have an immediate referendum. It would have destroyed the SNP.
    Even if that were true, and it isn’t, it’s practically impossible for the UK govt to allow a Scottish referendum while negox are ongoing with the EU about Brexit.

For instance, the EU would rightly say, Do these Fisheries agreements apply to Scottish waters given that Scotland may be independent in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections on a manifesto of a second referendum I really don't see how Boris continues to say no, certainly for not more than a year.

Still a long haul for Nicola though. May next year for the election, then the inevitable haggling, then the campaign. If the SNP win I think it will be in 2022 or 2023. Of course without Nicola they might find it a lot harder to win that majority. Without it its just not happening.
    He says "no", the SNP moan about it, then what?

The SNP aren't prepared to UDI or hold an illegal referendum and the generation quote gives him a figleaf to say no and move on.
    Yip, Boris says no, the SNP shut up and Boris rules gloriously for a few decades... Or not.

I would certainly not venture to guess how far the SNP would go in pursuit of their dream of an independent panacea.

At the VERY minimum they could; test out the case for ref 2 in court (who knows what would happen), win Hollyrood 2021 (likely), withdraw all their MPs and MSPs triggering a constitutional crisis as Scotland wouldn't have a government, use mass resignations and by election's as a perfectly legal 'indicatory' referendum.

And that's just off the top of my head. We're in for a bumpy ride.
    If they don’t sit in Holyrood the next largest party forms the government
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

So here’s an interesting counter-factual.

Weinstein was’t good-looking or particularly simpatico.

If the allegations had been made against a popular, youngish, good-looking actor, would they have been taken as seriously and would people have been so unanimously on the side of the women?

No.
    Also the actor wouldn’t have been in a position of power like Weinstein.

Ultimately this is about abuse of power
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get Boris. He’s just gonna say No. London has learned from Madrid (minus the soldiers and truncheons). You have to be tough on secessionists.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the Scottish people vote for parties committed to a referendum in 2021 then they are entitled to a "do-over" regardless of what any politician might have said at the time. It is a decision for the Scottish people, not the SNP or Boris. I of course will be doing my modest bit to stop that from happening but ignoring such a vote isn't tough, its undemocratic, stupid and damaging.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the Scottish people vote for parties committed to a referendum in 2021 then they are entitled to a "do-over" regardless of what any politician might have said at the time. It is a decision for the Scottish people, not the SNP or Boris. I of course will be doing my modest bit to stop that from happening but ignoring such a vote isn't tough, its undemocratic, stupid and damaging.
    It’s a decision for Westminster. There are plenty of reasons for voting SNP that are not about independence
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

It’s a decision for Westminster. There are plenty of reasons for voting SNP that are not about independence
    You mean, like their awesome track record of competence on transport, education and healthcare?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited February 2020
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

Plenty of reasons to vote Tory that are not about Brexit...
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

He says "no", the SNP moan about it, then what?

The SNP aren't prepared to UDI or hold an illegal referendum and the generation quote gives him a figleaf to say no and move on.
    Yip, Boris says no, the SNP shut up and Boris rules gloriously for a few decades... Or not.

I would certainly not venture to guess how far the SNP would go in pursuit of their dream of an independent panacea.

At the VERY minimum they could; test out the case for ref 2 in court (who knows what would happen), win Hollyrood 2021 (likely), withdraw all their MPs and MSPs triggering a constitutional crisis as Scotland wouldn't have a government, use mass resignations and by election's as a perfectly legal 'indicatory' referendum.

And that's just off the top of my head. We're in for a bumpy ride.
    If they don’t sit in Holyrood the next largest party forms the government
    How long do you think such a government could sustain itself, and how credible would any legislation passed by that government be (though given the diaphanous nature of SCon policies that may be a moot point)?
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

I struggle to think of one personally. But if the Lib Dems had a majority in this Parliament on the back of their policy to simply revoke the Article 50 notice that would have been the choice of the British people and the democratic consequence. This is how democracy works and the idea that Scots get democracy when the UK feels like it is dangerous and destabilising.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

I am not a vegan, more a flexitarian, but undeniably a vegan diet is a healthy, low saturated fat, high fiber one, particularly if avoiding processed meat substitutes. It isn't even that difficult after a few weeks adjustment and looking at labels. I am glad that mainstream restaurants now cater for vegans, and are integrating items in their menus.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

I'd quite like to see a referendum on the abolition of referenda
  • Options
    Congratulations to the England Lions, who have thrashed Australia A by nine wickets.

You have to feel sorry for Kurtis Patterson - 94 not out over two days - but ultimately the rest of them were just not at the races, which is very gratifying.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

You mean, like their awesome track record of competence on transport, education and healthcare?
    And don't forget our Police, criminal justice and Fire Service.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

Ah, who could forget Police Scotland?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

rUK: hold my beer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the
    Not that the rest of the UK is much better run. Today's Marmot report is pretty damaging. This is a good summary, 10 years on from the original much has got worse:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1232199541123960832?s=09
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

I am not a vegan, more a flexitarian, but undeniably a vegan diet is a healthy, low saturated fat, high fiber one, particularly if avoiding processed meat substitutes. It isn't even that difficult after a few weeks adjustment and looking at labels. I am glad that mainstream restaurants now cater for vegans, and are integrating items in their menus.
    There is nothing wrong with saturated fat.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1232201702763384832

Perhaps Long-Bailey could have said, "When did you last bury your children? "
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

Anyone waiting for them to turn up at the side of a road?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

I mentioned this was happening in Newham last week, and PB was 100% positive about it. Would be a shame if it only started being bad now it’s the SNP
    Same type of artiste? I suspect Flow Job is a million miles away from the Danny La Rue school of drag (if we’re allowed to call it that anymore?). Just as well children don’t know how to Google.....
    When are you going to tell us that the Corona virus is the fault of the SNP then.
    You support this do you? Good LGBT role model for primary school children?

The Council don't

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1231976546346381313?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited February 2020
    I cannot see Sturgeon resigning any time soon but it is clear she is the SNP May, focused on the legalities and technicalities around independence and dithering and more driven by domestic policy than breaking away.

Boris is the Tory Salmond on the other hand, focused on actually getting it done and the grand plan rather than detail
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Anyone waiting for them to turn up at the side of a road?
    Ouch!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

Given they will give away the fishing as their first cave in , I hardly think that matters, you obviously are either extremely dim or just like talking through your arse.
    Giving away fishing won't mean much if the EU are counting on the SNP giving it away first.
  • Options
    Went to see Hamilton last night with my partner, great performance and Chuka Umunna was in the audience too with his wife
  • Options

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

I'd quite like to see a referendum on the abolition of referenda
    I'd be happy not to have another one in my lifetime but it is not my call.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

In small proportions that is true, but the high saturated fat, high carbohydrate diet of most Britons is a major cause of disease.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

People often get confused between ‘descendants’ and ‘ancestors.’

She does sound unbelievably confused in many ways, though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I cannot see Sturgeon resigning any time soon but it is clear she is the SNP May, focused on the legalities and technicalities around independence and dithering and more driven by domestic policy than breaking away.

Boris is the Tory Salmond on the other hand, focused on actually getting it done and the grand plan rather than detail

If Sturgeon is the SNP concentrating on domestic policy, I'd hate to see what an SNP concentrating on constitutional matters looks like . . .
  • Options

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Same type of artiste? I suspect Flow Job is a million miles away from the Danny La Rue school of drag (if we’re allowed to call it that anymore?). Just as well children don’t know how to Google.....
    When are you going to tell us that the Corona virus is the fault of the SNP then.
    I suspect that the material was slightly different to the night club act.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,354
    dr_spyn said:

She would have been better had she said nothing. Is she a scouser?
  • Options
    Mr. L, I have sympathy with that argument.

But there's another, which is that separatists don't get to have 100 votes and only need to win once for it to count forever. That's not exactly democratic either.

Ironically, the SNP approach of making the 2014 a once in a generation vote was sound. It didn't make it last forever, but it acknowledged and respected a vote to remain would not seek to be overturned next Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

dr_spyn said:

It’s amazing that she describes people as ‘traitors’ then says ‘how do we get them back?’

Well, a good start might be not to describe them as ‘traitors’ you stupid f***tard.

Edit - I take it we’re sure this isn’t a spoof from CCO?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Just as well children don't know how to use the internet, eh?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited February 2020
    1000 locked down in hotel in Adeje Tenerife following Italian doctor confirmed with covid 19. suspected cases on La Gomera, Mallorca and several mainland universities following trips to Italy.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections ty. Without it its just not happening.

You don’t get a do-over

2014 was in Salmond's own words 'a once in a generation referendum', No to independence won and the Tories won the general election with a manifesto commitment to no indyref2 for their full term, so Boris will block indyref2 whatever happens next year at Holyrood.

However an SNP majority is not guaranteed, the Tories got 25% at the last general election which would still be up on the 22% they got at Holyrood 2016 and Starmer polls well in Scotland, better thsn both Ed Miliband and Corbyn did so Labour could win back a few seats from the SNP too if he becomes leader.

Wings over Scotland is also preparing candidates for a new independence party on the list in fury at Sturgeon's dithering, that party could end up costing the SNP list seats without gaining enough votes to win any list seats itself and thus split the pro independence vote
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

It’s amazing that she describes people as ‘traitors’ then says ‘how do we get them back?’

Well, a good start might be not to describe them as ‘traitors’ you stupid f***tard.
    The original questioner has the Corbyn mentality. Rather lose badly and never get elected so long as the message is "pure".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

Not sure about that although I would like it to be true. If the SNP and their little green helpers win a majority in the Scottish elections ty. Without it its just not happening.

You don’t get a do-over

2014 was in Salmond's own words 'a once in a generation referendum', No to independence won and the Tories won the general election with a manifesto commitment to no indyref2 for their full term, so Boris will block indyref2 whatever happens next year at Holyrood.

I agree. I suppose the ONLY justification for repeating a vote is Brexit?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

suspected cases on La Gomera,

'Suspected'? La Gomera is where Spain has been shunting coronavirus victims for quarantine.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

Which is entirely reasonable, Brexit being a fundamental change in our national positioning within the world. Bozo would be more sensible to suggest that any referendum wait until the Brexit process is completed, so that Scots can make an informed decision, and hint a date a few years hence
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

isam said:

But he’s reading to them for goodness sake. Kids benefit from being read to. Just because someone is a performer who’s act isn’t to everyone’s taste that doesn’t exclude him from making a contribution to society in other ways
    I'm fairly certain the BBC bed time story has been read by actors who have said rude words in other shows.

Civilisation has not collapsed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Just as well children don't know how to use the internet, eh?
    I doubt children need a personal visit to their school from someone involved in the industry in order to spark the idea of searching for sex related material, eh?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

No. That’s only the pretext.

TBF, though, promises on further devolution were made in 2014 that haven’t been kept. However, there were demands for a further referendum even before this was known or we were leaving the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-33668976
  • Options
    Mr. B2, that's a legitimate argument.

Although given the SNP will be asking for a third vote if they lose the second, I can appreciate the reluctance to hold another referendum.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I'm fairly certain the BBC bed time story has been read by actors who have said rude words in other shows.

Its a bit more than "rude words"

https://twitter.com/dailystar/status/1232211417551507457?s=20
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Hope none of you are Rugby fans...

"England in talks with Six Nations as coronavirus puts Italy games in doubt "
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/24/englands-six-nations-hopes-spread-of-coronavirus-in-italy
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

In small proportions that is true, but the high saturated fat, high carbohydrate diet of most Britons is a major cause of disease.
    No. The biggest problem is sugar.

Obesity increased massively in the U.S. and the U.K. when 'low fat' diets emerged. I assume the stupidity of people and clever marketing strategy was that if you eat fat it must make you fat. Right? Wrong.

Sugar is what causes most obesity. And that's a big big money maker.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Went to see Hamilton last night with my partner, great performance and Chuka Umunna was in the audience too with his wife

I trust you told him of all the time you had spent tipping him as next PM.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

Yeah, it's not like continuing EU membership was a big part of the Better Together campaign.

https://twitter.com/UK_Together/status/506899714923843584?s=20
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

Obesity increased massively in the U.S. and the U.K. when 'low fat' diets emerged. I assume the stupidity of people and clever marketing strategy was that if you eat fat it must make you fat. Right? Wrong.

Sugar consumption in the uk has declined fairly steadily since the 1960s. As obesity has increased.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Hope none of you are Rugby fans...

"England in talks with Six Nations as coronavirus puts Italy games in doubt "
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/24/englands-six-nations-hopes-spread-of-coronavirus-in-italy

Less sport on television? And to think that people say the killer virus has no upside.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

It’s An abhorrent monstrosity. But I shall say no more in case I end up with a ban.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Moral panic is a tradition as old as civilisation.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

m.

Sugar consumption in the uk has declined fairly steadily since the 1960s. As obesity has increased.
    That is utter and absolute rubbish. Sugar consumption has increased.

You do realise sugar isn't just found in the little white Tate & Lisle packets?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/20/britons-consuming-more-sugar-despite-tax-and-anti-obesity-drive

"The English are eating more sugar, even though the sugar tax on soft drinks is proving a success and cereals, yoghurts and cakes have become healthier.

The growing intake of sugar comes despite concerted efforts in recent years by the government and some food firms to strip sugar out of products to aid the fight against obesity.

Experts are warning that the nation’s increasingly sweet tooth will worsen the damage already being done to public health by sugar, such as through diabetes and tooth decay.

The alarming trend of rising overall consumption of what critics call the “pure, white and deadly” substance is revealed in a report by Public Health England (PHE)."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839756/Sugar_reduction_yr2_progress_report.pdf
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you're upset you had to wait a few years longer for Scotland to leave the EU?

Understandable.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Life is tough in Liverpool, she’s only eighteen. So her children are probably no older than four or five.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

Have you got stats on that? A cursory Google throws up a fair few rising graphs for sugar consumption through to the current day
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

citation required
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

Have you got stats on that? A cursory Google throws up a fair few rising graphs for sugar consumption through to the current day
    No he hasn't. It's one of the worst pieces of disinformation I've ever seen on this forum.

Sugar consumption is increasing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839756/Sugar_reduction_yr2_progress_report.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/20/britons-consuming-more-sugar-despite-tax-and-anti-obesity-drive
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the
    Not that the rest of the UK is much better run. Today's Marmot report is pretty damaging. This is a good summary, 10 years on from the original much has got worse:

That's a grim read but it doesn't (understandably) address the fact that public spending in 2010 was completely unsustainable and needed to be brought back in line with the tax base. It is hardly surprising that the areas which were receiving the most public money then were most affected when that spending was restrained/cut. There is a price to be paid for economic incompetence as the people of Venezuela found to their cost.

All that said the government needs to look carefully at the consequences and see what can be done to ameliorate them in the future. As more money becomes available these inequalities should set the agenda.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

So f***ing what? Was the act being performed to the kids, or was it reading a children's book that was performed to the kids?

My kids like children's books written by David Walliams - but some of his comedy routines for adults are not suitable for them - we can reasonably judge the difference.

My kids like a YouTube children's entertainer who goes by the stagename "Blippi" who performs entertaining and sometimes quite educational videos on YouTube. Earlier in his life he performed a NSFW viral video where he defecated on his friend: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/blippi-youtube-kids-star-harlem-shake-poop

A few years ago the highest earning entertainer on YouTube was someone who simply unwrapped toys, all you saw of her was her hands and you could hear her voice. My daughter loved her videos when she was very little. That woman had previously performed in porn.

Heck, I only found out just before graduating that decades earlier my English teacher at school had performed in porn! She was still a very capable teacher.

So long as he's not performing sex acts in front of kids, who gives a flying f**k?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.
    in ten weeks? What could the UK say?

Not sure about that althoughg haul for Nicola though. May next year for the election, then the inevitable haggling, then the campaign. If the SNP win I think it will be in 2022 or 2023. Of course without Nicola they might find it a lot harder to win that majority. Without it its just not happening.

You don’t get a do-over

If a majority of the

The carpet doesn’t match the curtains. Child poverty lower than when tories took office and the “growth” of life expectancy has stalled, not fallen. Life expectancy has increased.
    ONS:
    “Today’s life tables show the slowdown in life expectancy improvements observed since 2011 is continuing. Between 2016 and 2018 we have seen much lower increases than experienced in previous decades. Nevertheless, life expectancy is still increasing.

“The causes behind the overall slowdown are likely to be complex. As we see another year of low life expectancy improvements, we will continue our work to understand more about the causes behind this.”
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

It’s An abhorrent monstrosity. But I shall say no more in case I end up with a ban.
    I don't think he's that - just i) an inappropriate role model for pupils learning about LGBT and 2) totally inappropriate for 4 year olds.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I don't think he's that - just i) an inappropriate role model for pupils learning about LGBT and 2) totally inappropriate for 4 year olds.
    They were getting a story read - that is 100% appropriate for 4 year olds.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

No he hasn't. It's one of the worst pieces of disinformation I've ever seen on this forum.

A couple of times I've tried giving up sugar completely, as best you can. It is clearly an addictive substance as the first few days are really tough, but after that it becomes easier as I found I no longer had much attraction for sugary snacks. Needless to say, it was a very effective way of losing weight.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

So long as he's not performing sex acts in front of kids, who gives a flying f**k?
    Some of the 4 year old's parents and the council.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, you're upset you had to wait a few years longer for Scotland to leave the EU?

Understandable.

I resent having major decisions imposed on my country by the politicians and voters of another country. I realise being able to choose EU membership for my country isn't the same order of magnitude as you poor lambs not having powerful enough toasters, but still..
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

citation required
    Might be behind a paywall:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/06/childhood-obesity-not-spiralling-four-inconvenient-facts-anti/
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

So not the kids? The kids are perfectly fine being read to?

Those parents need to get the stick out of their arse.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

A couple of times I've tried giving up sugar completely, as best you can. It is clearly an addictive substance as the first few days are really tough, but after that it becomes easier as I found I no longer had much attraction for sugary snacks. Needless to say, it was a very effective way of losing weight.
    With you 100%. I gave up all forms of fizzy drink, which was pretty tough to start with but they are nearly all stuffed full of sugar. And the 'diet' ones contain fructose type substitutes which I don't trust.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

What you say might be true, but neither of those reports mention anything about historical trends.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    All Trump is worried about is the stock market! But in a country where simply getting tested can set you back $1400 I suspect they're in for a nasty shock.

Meanwhile the Singapore numbers look encouraging - cases 90, deaths 0, recovered 53
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

citation required

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/06/childhood-obesity-not-spiralling-four-inconvenient-facts-anti/
    That's an opinion piece by Christopher Snowdon who is hand-in-glove with some of the least healthy industries around, including tobacco. https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Christopher_Snowdon

Amongst his many campaigns on behalf of these industries was his vehement opposition to 'plain packaging.'

All Government research shows a rising consumption of sugar in the UK.

This is a big, powerful, industry.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

If you think an adequate test of what you should do to a 4 year old is what the 4 year old is "perfectly fine with" I hope to God you aren't a parent.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Understandable.

I resent having major decisions imposed on my country by the politicians and voters of another country. I realise being able to choose EU membership for my country isn't the same order of magnitude as you poor lambs not having powerful enough toasters, but still..
    Except, your own voters decided in 2014 that we aren't "another country", but one and the same country.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I wrong?

citation required

That's an opinion piece by Christopher Snowdon who is hand-in-glove with some of the least healthy industries around, including tobacco. https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Christopher_Snowdon

All Government research shows a rising consumption of sugar in the UK.

This is a big, powerful, industry.
    The big money is in public funding.
    Here is the evidence.
    https://www.helgilibrary.com/indicators/sugar-consumption-per-capita/united-kingdom/
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/status/1232053816989753345?s=20
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, the majority of Scots chose to be part of the UK.

I do have some sympathy with certain arguments for a second referendum, but the SNP would be bleating for that come what may. Indeed, they were. What would be a more powerful line would be asking for one after we've left the EU and have the agreement sorted (or not, if there isn't one) as that represents a material change in circumstances.

Instead, the day ends in a Y, which makes the case for Scottish independence. The sky is blue, clearly indicating God wants Scotland to separate. And so on, and so on.
  • Options
    Food and Obesity

IEA Funding Source is “Irrelevant”
    In August 2014, the IEA released a report on obesity written by Snowdon, entitled The Fat Lie. [15] In a Channel 4 News interview about the report, Snowdon was pressed about the IEA’s funding and whether the think-tank received food industry money, however Snowdon said he did not know. He then added that it was “irrelevant” whether the IEA was taking food industry money or not.[16]
    Report Dismissed as “Laughable Nonsense”
    The obesity report was dismissed as “laughable nonsense which flies in the face of 50 years of science,” by nutrition expert, Dr Aseem Malhotra, a cardiologist from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, as well “completely wrong” by Professor Mike Lean, Chair of Human Nutrition at the University of Glasgow. [16]

Against the Soft Drinks Industry Levy

Snowdon is a prominent opponent of the UK Soft Drink Industry Levy (SDIL), a tax on sugar-sweetened beverages set to take effect in the UK in April 2018. The revenues from the levy are earmarked for school breakfast clubs and school sports activities to help fight childhood obesity.[17]
    "People Against the Sugar Tax"
    Snowdon is a former Executive Board member of the so-called “grassroots campaign” against the SDIL, People Against Sugar Tax alongside amongst others Alex Deane, and Annunziata Rees-Mogg, the sister of Conservative politician, Jacob Rees-Mogg. [18] [19]
    The IEA and Sugar

Snowdon has also opposed the levy in briefing papers and reports for the Institute of Economic Affairs, and has described the policy as an “eye-catching but ill-considered gimmick”.[21][22][23]
    The IEA labelled the UK as “the biggest nanny state in the EU” due to the SDIL.[20]
    IEA Refuses To Disclose Whether it Receives Food and Drink Money
    The IEA refuses to disclose whether it receives funding from the food and soft drinks industry.[24]
    IEA's Past Funding from the Food and Drinks Industry

Spectator Columns on Sugar
    Snowdon has also written numerous opinion pieces opposing a sugar tax for Spectator Health [26][27][28]
    Velvet Glove Articles on Sugar
    Snowdon has also written on the sugar tax on his blog, Velvet Glove Velvet Glove, Iron Fist. Some examples include:
    “The case against the Case Against Sugar” [29]
    “A world of pure imagination” [30]
    “Glantz’s sugar conspiracy” C. Snowdon, Glantz’s sugar conspiracy, Velvet Glove, Iron Fist, 15 September 2016, accessed July 2017
    “A sugar tax is just the start” [31]
    Denigrates Public Health Scientists

Like other pro-smoking bloggers, such as Simon Clark and Martin Cullip, Snowdon has publically criticised leading tobacco control scientists by referring to them as “zealots”[32] and “extremists”.[33]

https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Christopher_Snowdon

Charming guy
  • Options
    "A letter to the IEA’s supporters suggests that it has received donations from a range of food and soft drinks companies such as Coca-Cola, Tesco, Unilever, and Tate & Lyle, amongst others, in the past.[25]"

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

If you think an adequate test of what you should do to a 4 year old is what the 4 year old is "perfectly fine with" I hope to God you aren't a parent.
    I am a parent of a 3 year old and a 5 year old and I'd be 100% happy for my own children to hear a children's story read to them by someone in drag.

What is your objection? His private life, the children's story, or the drag?

Private life is private and I'm educated and capable enough to distinguish between the two.
  • Options

Food and Obesity

IEA Funding Source is “Irrelevant”
    In August 2014, the IEA released a report on obesity written by Snowdon, entitled The Fat Lie. [15] In a Channel 4 News interview about the report, Snowdon was pressed about the IEA’s funding and whether the think-tank received food industry money, however Snowdon said he did not know. He then added that it was “irrelevant” whether the IEA was taking food industry money or not.[16]
    Report Dismissed as “Laughable Nonsense”
    The obesity report was dismissed as “laughable nonsense which flies in the face of 50 years of science,” by nutrition expert, Dr Aseem Malhotra, a cardiologist from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, as well “completely wrong” by Professor Mike Lean, Chair of Human Nutrition at the University of Glasgow. [16]

Againstked for school breakfast clubs and school sports activities to help fight childhood obesity.[17]
    "People Against the Sugar Tax"
    Snowdon is a former Executive Board member of the so-called “grassroots campaign” against the SDIL, People Against Sugar Tax alongside amongst others Alex Deane, and Annunziata Rees-Mogg, the sister of Conservative politician, Jacob Rees-Mogg. [18] [19]
    The IEA and Sugar

Snowdon has also opposed the levy in briefing papers and reports for the Institute of Economic Affairs, and has described the policy as an “eye-catching but ill-considered gimmick”.[21][22][23]
    The IEA labelled the UK as “the biggest nanny state in the EU” due to the SDIL.[20]
    IEA Refuses To Disclose Whether it Receives Food and Drink Money
    The IEA refuses to disclose whether it receives funding from the food and soft drinks industry.[24]
    IEA's Past Funding from the Food and Drinks Industry

Spectator Columns on Sugar
    Snowdon has also written numerous opinion pieces opposing a sugar tax for Spectator Health [26][27][28]
    Velvet Glove Articles on Sugar
    Snowdon has also written on the sugar tax on his blog, Velvet Glove Velvet Glove, Iron Fist. Some examples include:
    “The case against the Case Against Sugar” [29]
    “A world of pure imagination” [30]
    “Glantz’s sugar conspiracy” C. Snowdon, Glantz’s sugar conspiracy, Velvet Glove, Iron Fist, 15 September 2016, accessed July 2017
    “A sugar tax is just the start” [31]
    Denigrates Public Health Scientists

Like other pro-smoking bloggers, such as Simon Clark and Martin Cullip, Snowdon has publically criticised leading tobacco control scientists by referring to them as “zealots”[32] and “extremists”.[33]

Charming guy

Maybe. But he called out the child obesity panic. And in sugar consumption he is bang on. Show me a table / graph of sugar consumption the defies my claim that sugar consumption has steadily decreased over the last sixty years.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

This SNP MSP too?

https://twitter.com/glasgowcathcart/status/1232053816989753345?s=20
    Yes. Him too. I don't see why you think it matters about party politics, I'm a Tory not SNP so what difference does that make?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Alistair said:

FF43 said:

Broken.

By.

Boris.

You don’t get a do-over

And it will not be for 10 years until we know how Brexit turned out, if we have a trade deal with the EU, are in WTO terms or back in the single market
  • Options

Understandable.

Except, your own voters decided in 2014 that we aren't "another country", but one and the same country.
    If only you were even slightly well known, you telling Scots that Scotland isn't a country would do wonders for the cause.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I trust you told him of all the time you had spent tipping him as next PM.
    No, left him in peace.

Cities of London and Westminster is now the 14th LD target seat though so would not rule out his return at the next general election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

For a second there I thought you were referring to the Accies!
  • Options
    I stopped drinking coke overnight.

Turns out quitting fizzy drink is easy with the right motivation (I had something of a medical problem that made me somewhat improve my diet [it wasn't atrocious, but had room for improvement]). All you need is some stabbing pain.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

isam said:

I am a parent of a 3 year old and a 5 year old and I'd be 100% happy for my own children to hear a children's story read to them by someone in drag.

What is your objection? His private life, the children's story, or the drag?

Private life is private and I'm educated and capable enough to distinguish between the two.
    I think the issue is there's 'drag' and then there's 'drag'. we're all used to pantomime dames and the like, and I think most people would consider that 'family friendly',

Then there's highly sexualised adult drag acts. The question is which is any elements of the second were presented.
This discussion has been closed.