Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bloomberg slumps sharply in the nomination betting after comin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bloomberg slumps sharply in the nomination betting after coming under fierce attacks in the Las Vegas debate

As everybody was expecting the first appearance on a debate stage by Mike Bloomberg was going to see him as the main target by the other leading contenders in the race. This is how the New York Times is reporting it:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    How crap is your campaign to still be behind Clinton?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    I think Klobuchar is out of it after tonight. Warren did well in damaging Bloomberg, but I am not sure taking out others actually improves her own standing. Bloomberg was the most damaged, but he can continue until Super Tuesday. The biggest loser - the Democratic Party.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Variety also not impressed with the whole spectacle:
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/columns/msnbc-democratic-debate-moderators-lost-control-1203508788/

Their conclusion:

Throughout this long, long Democratic primary process, the debate moderation has, with very few exceptions, proved to be especially uninspired. Usually the culprit for that is the slate of questions, which have tended to be unnecessarily combative in a bid to get the candidates to rise to tempting bait. The ever-escalating tenor of cable news constantly demands juicy moments for digesting, and tonight’s unruly debate delivered them rather than the kind of information voters actually need. Tonight’s moderating — or more accurately, lack thereof — sacrificed clarity for fireworks. That might be “good television,” which is maybe all MSNBC wanted in the end, but it also made for a uniquely frustrating debate at a particularly crucial moment during the campaign.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited February 2020
    My prediction: everyone's going to take their "great night" straight to heart . They're going to ignore all the other "great nights" they collectively had, which really didn't move the dial.

Like the line from Almost Famous, nobody wants to go home. Nobody's going to drop out. They're going to trudge forward to that magical path to victory they're sure in their doomed-to-lose hearts exists. Hooray.
  • Options
    Not good news: Shootings in Hanau, Germany, at least ten bodies including the single perpetrator. Two bars targeted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/19/germany-shooting-hanau-latest-news/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

My prediction: everyone's going to take their "great night" straight to heart . They're going to ignore all the other "great nights" they collectively had, which really didn't move the dial.

Like the line from Almost Famous, nobody wants to go home. Nobody's going to drop out. They're going to trudge forward to that magical path to victory they're sure in their doomed-to-lose hearts exists. Hooray.

But it's not necessarily about the votes, it's about the money. Kamala Harris was outpolling Buttigieg and Klobuchar when she quit the race. But she had to go because she had no money.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Looking good for the Bernmeister from the sounds of it
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2020
    Basically this was a rubbish night for all the elderly septuagenarians who are on vanity trips. Angry old men who should really be home in bed are not a pleasant sight. Buttigieg seems to have been the biggest improver in the betting

• Options

Basically this was a rubbish night for all the elderly septuagenarians who are all on vanity trips. Angry old men who should really be home in bed are not a pleasant sight. Buttigieg seems to have been the biggest improver in the betting

Bloomberg might be asking himself "do I really want to go through this?"

Throwing his support behind Baemy or Buttigieg would probably buy him the Treasury Secretary role.
  • Options
    Well, I'm breathing a bit of a sigh of relief.

I've cut my liability on Bloomberg from 3.5k to 2k off the back of that.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Basically this was a rubbish night for all the elderly septuagenarians who are on vanity trips. Angry old men who should really be home in bed are not a pleasant sight.

Like the 45th President of the United States you mean who is about to be re-elected with a thumping majority?
  • Options
    I just want to check, did Michael Bloomberg actually soil himself on stage?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Not really an ideal way to elect a Head of State is it? The equivalent Republican 'discussions' were just as unedifying a spectacle four years ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, he only went out to 4/1, so..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Basically this was a rubbish night for all the elderly septuagenarians who are all on vanity trips. Angry old men who should really be home in bed are not a pleasant sight. Buttigieg seems to have been the biggest improver in the betting

Bloomberg might be asking himself "do I really want to go through this?"

Throwing his support behind Baemy or Buttigieg would probably buy him the Treasury Secretary role.
    My current strat is to keep neutral on Sanders, fairly big lay of Bloomberg (just not apocalyptic) and go big on the rest. Might not earn me much money in the end but that's what feels the right thing to do right now.

Oh, and I have topped up on Biden. Yes, he's shite but the polling and that's only been tested so far in one primary state. If Bloomberg dissolves he might pick up and at 13/1 I'm nibbling.
  • Options

Not really an ideal way to elect a Head of State is it? The equivalent Republican 'discussions' were just as unedifying a spectacle four years ago.

No it's nuts. The only winner is Donald Trump.
  • Options

The whole process seems almost designed to create way more heat than light.

I have been saying since 2017 that the Dems should have run their primaries in 2019 - they could have spent 18 months united behind a 'leader of the opposition' figure, rather than still screaming at each other only nine months before the election.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You'll bet on anything, won't you? ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I didn't lay him further yesterday, but I've filled in my hole on him now. Am long err Biden right now. Debates don't tend to change polling much, and he's still up there
  • Options
    He's still a scumbag candidate
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I didn't lay him further yesterday, but I've filled in my hole on him now. Am long err Biden right now. Debates don't tend to change polling much, and he's still up there

Yep now is the time to buy Bloomberg
  • Options

Sadly.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited February 2020
    I just had a small amount on Biden at 12.5 who was my largest red and this makes me just about neutral on the event with Pete still being my big winner and Warren being a decent one.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    I didn't see the debate but from what I read on here it seems to have been totally predictable in that Bloomberg got trashed for buying his way to the Democratic table (Republicans are more up for that) and also suffered from not having done this for a very long time. Those who think that he might intimidate Trump should possibly also have a rethink.

Doesn't seem to have done the Democratic party much good though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I didn't see the debate but from what I read on here it seems to have been totally predictable in that Bloomberg got trashed for buying his way to the Democratic table (Republicans are more up for that) and also suffered from not having done this for a very long time. Those who think that he might intimidate Trump should possibly also have a rethink.

Your second point is what’s really damaging for Michael Bloomberg. The idea that he’s going to win a mud-wrestle with Donald Trump took a huge knock last night.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited February 2020

Sadly.
    Are we sure that he’s not paying the Democrats to look as stupid, incompetent and out of touch as possible?

Because if they’re doing it by themselves this is one for The Book of Heroic Failures.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2020
    I'm still all green on the Democratic nomination but I have cashed in some of my Bloomberg position bet at 9 laid at 5
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sadly.
    Are we sure that he’s not paying the Democrats to look as stupid, incompetent and out of touch as possible?

Because if they’re doing it by themselves this is one for The Book of Heroic Failures.
    One thing about being old is that you've (generally anyway) seen it all before. Trump was absolutely vicious to other Republicans four years ago.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's still a scumbag candidate

Which one?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Your second point is what’s really damaging for Michael Bloomberg. The idea that he’s going to win a mud-wrestle with Donald Trump took a huge knock last night.
    By contrast (not that she’s going to win or anything given the polling) Baemy looks ruthless and tough enough to destroy anyone.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Filled in all of your hole??
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Not great for the blues, it seems.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sadly.

One thing about being old is that you've (generally anyway) seen it all before. Trump was absolutely vicious to other Republicans four years ago.
    Trump is vicious to everybody, because that’s the sort of person he is.

But added to the inadequacy of the candidate slate and the Iowa caucus fiasco, it could scarce be going better if he were running it for his own benefit.

Indeed, the best argument against his involvement is if he were running it you would expect him to cock it up somehow and do something that would help the Dems.
  • Options
    It really has come to something where Klobuchar- who’s still in the race and could conceivably be a compromise candidate, although unlikely - is at 120/1 whereas Hillary Clinton who isn’t, and is now widely disliked, is sub 40/1.
  • Options
    If she performed at that level all the time, she’d be walking this race. But she hasn’t.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Bloomberg and Sanders had a rough night and “all the others” except Klobuchar and Biden did well?

There were only six people there.
  • Options
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2020
    I nibbled more of Warren at 120 a couple of days ago. Laid that off plus more at 45
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Pulpstar said:

Climbed out of it, perhaps ?
  • Options

It really has come to something where Klobuchar- who’s still in the race and could conceivably be a compromise candidate, although unlikely - is at 120/1 whereas Hillary Clinton who isn’t, and is now widely disliked, is sub 40/1.

Hillary is the placeholder for a brokered convention. 40/1 for that outcome doesn't seem out of order.
  • Options

She was 28/1 to back, only a few hours ago.

Sounds like the pundits' immediate reaction to the debate was to lay everyone who took part!
  • Options

Hillary is the placeholder for a brokered convention. 40/1 for that outcome doesn't seem out of order.
    Because obviously, if you have an election full of candidates nobody wants, run by a software package nobody understands, following vicious infighting nobody likes, the correct course of action is to pick somebody else entirely who has lost almost every major electoral contest she has faced.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    What did people expect about Bloomberg?

His record as Mayor is only comparable to Buttigieg's record, but he has less experience campaigning.
    Once he got confronted in public, he deflated.

That was the reason why Bloomberg avoided participating to the debates until now, he only knows how to run a front porch campaign.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Clambered
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

Those who have spent their lifetimes in and around Westminster seriously underestimate the wish of the general public to give a serious kicking to the whole system.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

If she performed at that level all the time, she’d be walking this race. But she hasn’t.
    Warren's media coverage since she had her period as favourite has been notable by its absence.

She regularly doesn't get included in head to head polling despite polling higher than others who are.

My book is displeased.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Warren's media coverage since she had her period as favourite has been notable by its absence.

She regularly doesn't get included in head to head polling despite polling higher than others who are.

My book is displeased.
    At an abstract level she would be the Democrats’ best choice. Looks a remote chance now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Clambered
    Could be worse. At least you stopped digging!
  • Options

She really isn’t.

She be one of the last (possibly the last) candidate the Democrats would pick in such a situation.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

Those who have spent their lifetimes in and around Westminster seriously underestimate the wish of the general public to give a serious kicking to the whole system.
    That section of the public that wants to give a kicking to the system has been pampered, cosseted and pandered to by that system for years in ways they don’t even notice. They should be careful what they wish for.
  • Options

She really isn’t.

She be one of the last (possibly the last) candidate the Democrats would pick in such a situation.
    The smart move by the Democrats if they want a seedy New Yorker with a dodgy financial past would be to offer the nomination to Donald Trump.

That’s about the only way he’s going to lose, at this rate.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Anyway, I hope that Debate was a lesson to all of those who thought that Bloomberg could win the Presidency.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

At least we now know who Eadric is as well.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    According to the NY Times, that “horse-faced lesbians” comment attributed to Bloomberg by Warren was in reference to someone in the British Royal Family.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    ydoethur said:

She really isn’t.

The smart move by the Democrats if they want a seedy New Yorker with a dodgy financial past would be to offer the nomination to Donald Trump.

That’s about the only way he’s going to lose, at this rate.
    Damn you, beat me to the suggestion!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Bloomberg is unlikely now to be the nominee but that was always the case but the fiercely personal attacks on him by the other Democratic contenders, especially Warren is not exactly going to make him enthusiastic about getting behind whoever does end up nominee, especially if it is a populist leftwinger like Sanders.

I think the chances of Bloomberg running as an Independent also increased after last night
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

If (almost) any of them performed at the level that they have occasionally they’d be performing significantly better. Compare, and I feel dirty saying this, to how Trump can turn it on.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

According to the NY Times, that “horse-faced lesbians” comment attributed to Bloomberg by Warren was in reference to someone in the British Royal Family.

Princess Anne
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    tlg86 said:

Princess Anne has had her fair share of sausage.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

That section of the public that wants to give a kicking to the system has been pampered, cosseted and pandered to by that system for years in ways they don’t even notice. They should be careful what they wish for.
    We will agree to disagree here, but just this week there has been a court case about the police abusing their powers turning up at someone's work to discuss 'non-crime' social media comments, while at the same time they seem unwilling to keep roads open for ambulances. They also saw the charade of politicians and commentators doing everything they could to overturn the Brexit vote for three years.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Bloomberg is unlikely now to be the nominee but that was always the case but the fiercely personal attacks on him by the other Democratic contenders, especially Warren is not exactly going to make him enthusiastic about getting behind whoever does end up nominee, especially if it is a populist leftwinger like Sanders.

I think the chances of Bloomberg running as an Independent also increased after last night

I also see Sanders and Buttigieg attacked Bloomberg too for the extent of his wealth and trying to use money to buy power

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51549847
  • Options
    Previous years, going back decades, I've really looked forward to the primary season. With its four-year cycle, it's kinda like the political Olympics.

This year it is more like a school sports day. As you try not to laugh at the bunch of unco-ordinated five year olds, who all run like the current Dr. Who.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

We will agree to disagree here, but just this week there has been a court case about the police abusing their powers turning up at someone's work to discuss 'non-crime' social media comments, while at the same time they seem unwilling to keep roads open for ambulances.
    Although they have now charged three people over those protests - Trinity’s lawn is mentioned, not sure how it relates to the others.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-51548337
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Sensing what is wrong, and having a credible solution - let alone the knowledge and capabilities to implement it - are rather different things, though.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Anyway, I hope that Debate was a lesson to all of those who thought that Bloomberg could win the Presidency.

Steady on. That was only one debate.

Important not to totally overreact to this.

Long way to go yet.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

We will agree to disagree here, but just this week there has been a court case about the police abusing their powers turning up at someone's work to discuss 'non-crime' social media comments, while at the same time they seem unwilling to keep roads open for ambulances.
    A group that are largely on index linked state benefits have decided that everyone else is going to have to roll the dice so they can indulge their prejudices. As you know yourself, if you feel you have no skin in the game you can be more reckless when it’s other people who might suffer.
  • Options

Previous years, going back decades, I've really looked forward to the primary season. With its four-year cycle, it's kinda like the political Olympics.

This year it is more like a school sports day. As you try not to laugh at the bunch of unco-ordinated one hundred and five year olds, who all run like the current Dr. Who.

FTFY :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Because obviously, if you have an election full of candidates nobody wants, run by a software package nobody understands, following vicious infighting nobody likes, the correct course of action is to pick somebody else entirely who has lost almost every major electoral contest she has faced.
    You're getting the hang of the 2020 Democratic Party I see.....
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Sanders looks a lay at evens - for actuarial if not political reasons.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

A group that are largely on index linked state benefits have decided that everyone else is going to have to roll the dice so they can indulge their prejudices. As you know yourself, if you feel you have no skin in the game you can be more reckless when it’s other people who might suffer.
    I most certainly do have skin in the game. My wife is going to be one of the first applicants under the new immigration regime - the one that doesn't care where in the world you're from, but only what you can bring to the country.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This year it is more like a school sports day. As you try not to laugh at the bunch of unco-ordinated one hundred and five year olds, who all run like the current Dr. Who.

FTFY :smiley:
    Trying to decide who should be the most offended, five year olds or one hundred and five year olds......
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

I most certainly do have skin in the game. My wife is going to be one of the first applicants under the new immigration regime - the one that doesn't care where in the world you're from, but only what you can bring to the country.
    In the meantime you can sit back and watch, safe in the knowledge that it won't be you or yours who are going to risk going without medicine as a result of the extremist policies that you advocate.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Long way to go yet.
    You can always spot the Johnny come latelys that don't bet
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

tlg86 said:

Princess Anne has had her fair share of sausage.
    Always been horsey, but she was remarkably good looking in her youth.
  • Options
    Fun comment underneath:

"John Major (who was Prime Minister when the Cold War ended) is younger than 3 of the leading Democrats running for President."
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Long way to go yet.
    Isn't that part of the problem? All the candidates look tarnished and clapped out already, whilst Trump's sitting back and laughing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

speedy2 said:

Long way to go yet.
    @Speedy2 does bet. His vice is more that his talk reflects his book.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Princess Anne springs to mind with the horse link.

Andrew to go fav next week ?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    It says something about the DNC that even the Labour party has settled around a vaguely plausible looking candidate quicker than them, and even have a reasonable alternative wild card pick to boot.

Imagine if the race was lead by Alan Sugar, John McDonnell and John Prescott.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

In the meantime you can sit back and watch, safe in the knowledge that it won't be you or yours who are going to risk going without medicine as a result of the extremist policies that you advocate.
    The only "extremist" views on display here are yours.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's bollocks. Bloomberg's main objective is to stop Trump and running as an Indy would make a second Trump term more likely.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That's bollocks. Bloomberg's main objective is to stop Trump and running as an Indy would make a second Trump term more likely.
    We can simply file it alongside declaring war on Iran, sending troops to Scotland, Farage as future PM and Boris preferring to resign rather than delay Brexit beyond last October.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

speedy2 said:

Long way to go yet.
    @Speedy2 does bet. His vice is more that his talk reflects his book.
    Hardly unique in that. Unless you see #FuckBloomberg as objective analysis?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

HYUFD said:

I thought he was trying to stop Sanders, but I may be confused about his motives: he is claiming that Sanders can't beat Trump, but Bloomberg's politics are almost certainly closer to Trump's than Sanders. Albeit he almost certainly has views about their relative decorum in the role.

In a Trump/Sanders matchup I guess he could still declare "a plague on both your houses"?
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Long way to go yet.
    Isn't that part of the problem? All the candidates look tarnished and clapped out already, whilst Trump's sitting back and laughing.
    I don’t think Klobuchar does.

She’s consistently performed pretty well but just hasn’t got much traction.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

A group that are largely on index linked state benefits have decided that everyone else is going to have to roll the dice so they can indulge their prejudices.

By this do you mean Politicians and Civil servants working on wonderful T&C or the great unwashed benefit consuming proletariat?
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    The implied probabilities for the nomination based on the *back* prices (not the mid-points) are:

Sanders: 46.7%
    Bloomberg: 19.2%
    Buttigieg: 9.1%
    Biden: 7.7%
    Clinton: 3.1 %
    Warren: 2.2%
    Klobuchar: 0.9%

This sums to ~89%. If you throw in the other available names that have a lay-price (M Obama, Patrick, Stayer), you get to 90%.

Remember, these are the back-prices. You would expect it to sum to more than 100%.

So is there a 10+% chance that the nominee is none of these people? If so, what realistic names are there? If not, you can simply bet on everyone and win.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:

That depends if Bloomberg running as an Independent draws more from Republicans or Democrats, if the former he would hurt Trump more and could justify his entry on that basis.

Having just checked the debate clips on the BBC I was shocked out how aggressive to and rude about him the other candidates were about Bloomberg, Warren effectively called him a sexist pig in all but name, Sanders basically said he was responsible for allowing half the homelessness in America while being super rich himself and Buttigieg said his only belied was using money to buy power.

After 2 hours of insults against him from other Democrats last night, the idea Bloomberg is going to meekly stand back and give half his wealth to someone like Bernie Sanders is for the birds. If he really hates Trump he could run himself as an Independent instead

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51549847
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yep!

So says the city lawyer who's about to retire aged 52 - I'd suggest that I'm not the one of us most removed from the lives lived by ordinary British people.

I genuinely wish you and yours all the best, but Brexit has driven you mad. Most people just want to get on with their lives, and to be able to turf out the government when they screw up.

Let's change the subject. It's been rumoured again that the Chancellor is mooting changes to higher rate pensions relief in the Budget. New lifetime allowances are already causing issues with higher-paid public sector workers such as doctors, as well as many in the private sector. Does reducing the incentives to save work out better for the government in the long term, or do you think this is a short term sticking plaster that leads to problems for future governments, as people haven't saved sufficiently for their retirements and become burdensome on the state?
  • Options
    kicorse said:

The implied probabilities for the nomination based on the *back* prices (not the mid-points) are:

This sums to ~89%. If you throw in the other available names that have a lay-price (M Obama, Patrick, Stayer), you get to 90%.

Remember, these are the back-prices. You would expect it to sum to more than 100%.

So is there a 10+% chance that the nominee is none of these people? If so, what realistic names are there? If not, you can simply bet on everyone and win.

Interesting, because laying them all feels the right thing to do. Indeed this latter probably explains the former.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

I thought he was trying to stop Sanders, but I may be confused about his motives: he is claiming that Sanders can't beat Trump, but Bloomberg's politics are almost certainly closer to Trump's than Sanders. Albeit he almost certainly has views about their relative decorum in the role.

In a Trump/Sanders matchup I guess he could still declare "a plague on both your houses"?
    His stated main objective is to stop Trump, but he is trying to win the Democrat nomination right now. That's good positioning. Who knows whether it's really his overriding concern or not.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

So says the city lawyer who's about to retire aged 52 - I'd suggest that I'm not the one of us most removed from the lives lived by ordinary British people.

I genuinely wish you and yours all the best, but Brexit has driven you mad. Most people just want to get on with their lives, and to be able to turf out the government when they screw up.

Let's change the subject. It's been rumoured again that the Chancellor is mooting changes to higher rate pensions relief in the Budget. New lifetime allowances are already causing issues with higher-paid public sector workers such as doctors, as well as many in the private sector. Does reducing the incentives to save work out better for the government in the long term, or do you think this is a short term sticking plaster that leads to problems for future governments, as people haven't saved sufficiently for their retirements and become burdensome on the state?
    Sure you want to change the subject. But there's an important point here. Like Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden in the 30 Years' War, you're willing to fight to the bones of the last Finn. If it all goes wrong, it won't afrect you in any meaningful way. You need to accept that this underpins your approach to Brexit and allows you to be brutally casual about, for example, the risks of the government continuing to pursue the North Korean model that it currently favours.

Meanwhile, I again risk at the end of the year having to hold my partner while he suffers uncontrollable seizures because someone decided that continuing a scorched earth policy towards the EU was more important than reliably securing the supply of medicines.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

LOL, that's a great spot. Do we collectively think there's a 10% chance of some random name turning up at the convention and getting the nom?

IMO right now, every price above looks like a lay - but someone has to win!
  • Options
    How the hell did super-methodical Bloomberg not get himself prepared for these entirely predictable attacks with well-crafted responses? Surely it should all have been rehearsed. He's failed the most basic test.
This discussion has been closed.