Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is crunch time tonight for Mike Bloomberg as he faces his f

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Bernie is probably going to win in most states in the north-east and west and Bloomberg in the south and mid-west.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited February 2020

kle4 said:

Sense outbreak in Labour continues. This is getting quite dizzying...

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1230182334479192065

Alternatively another indication Starmer may be a continuity Corbyn candidate afterall.

Have we seen any indication of Starmer rejecting and denouncing Corbyn or Corbynism yet?
    Not to my knowledge. But even 'the same thing, but more competently' would be something.
    You think "The Gulags - but more competently" would be a way to sell a new and improved Stalinism?
    No, but as awful as Corbyn would be he isn't Stalin, so I'm not sure what point you think you are making by being so bloody silly. My point was that competency in general even with the same policies would be more beneficial for Labour than mirroring the incompetence of Corbyn along with his policies. I didn't comment on whether those policies were any good. Quite why that was taken as endorsing Corbyn, or equatable to Stalin, I have no idea.

Or rather I do have an idea why people would pretend to believe that. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691
    isam said:

There seem to be an awful lot of opposition politicians who have only just woken up today to what the Brexit vote means.....

Hang on, I've been repeatedly reassured on here by a lot of PB Leavers that Brexit was nothing to do with immigration.
    Really?! Don’t fall for that old claptrap
    Yes, it was quite obviously so.

Now we get to see if the policy of only allowing admission to people of intelligence* and income into Britain to our higher status jobs to rule over the unskilled Britons is a successful one as far as the depressed old coalfields and coastal towns are concerned.

* as approved by the Eugenics team at number 10.
  • Options

Exactly. So he is musing that in some hypothetical future, some people might suggest a response. He is certainly not suggesting that the NHS should (present tense) cover the cost of such selection, which in any case isn't possible today. He's not even suggesting it for the future hypothetical circumstances. He's musing that it might be a future suggestion by others.

Precisely. He's even musing (oh the mock horror) that in this weird dystopian future that we'd still have an NHS.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I am so glad you are not still banging on in post after post after post. After post. About Coronavirus.

Which is the most important topic today:

1. The Labour leadership election

2. The Democratic Party primaries

3. The impact of coronavirus on

a ) the Chinese Communist Party

b ) The world economy

c ) London house prices

d ) airport literature (I mean, nobody's flying = nobody's buying!!! C'mon....)

4. More fucking rain

5. Liverpool FC and their fucking reign?

Labour leadership race.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    It says something about the people who run care homes that they are charging a grand a week per guest, yet the staff apparently won’t make the minimum amount required to get a work VISA.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited February 2020

TGOHF666 said:

The voters don’t care about Cummings - utter bubble story.

Pension tax relief however is Brexit level voter annoyance.

I agree about Cummings. Not sure that pension tax relief will be much more than a minority interest though. Not bothered about it will be:
    - all those already retired
    - all those not in employment
    - all those making no or next to no pension contributions

I reckon that adds up to a large majority of the country.

PS I am not saying discouraging citizens from saving for their retirement is a good thing though, far from it.
    Add in public sector types on defined benefits.

There will be a sizeable % who IMHO are Con voters who will be ferking livid.

They are grafting and doing the right thing and are about to get punched in the face whilst the public sector and Boomers escape.

Boris will rue the day.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/sabisky-row-dominic-cummings-criticised-over-designer-babies-post

That they have the gall to think themselves superior to the Mail is astonishing.

The Guardian is not only superior to the Mail but in a completely different class. One quick look at the websites or typical front pages tells you that.

What is it about the Guardian article you think is dishonest?
    Err - the fact that it is entirely based on a lie that Cummings proposed or supported something which he didn't. Pretty basic, surely?
    You think they are making up the Cummings quotes?
    No, quite the opposite. They have no doubt quoted them accurately, which is why it is entirely clear that they are smearing him Mail-style. He says nothing which bears the interpretation they've put on his words.
    Pah! Cummings is fair game. Live by the sword...
    Oh, he's fair game for sure. But you can' t twist words into a lie and also claim the moral high ground or be respected as a serious newspaper.
    I am struggling to see the lie tbh. Spin, yes, but show me the newspaper serious or otherwise that doesn't do that?
    "he suggested in his own writings that the NHS should cover the cost of selecting babies to have higher IQs".
    Which they support with this Cummings quote (my bold):

"Once we identify a substantial number of IQ genes, there is no obvious reason why rich people will not select the egg that has the highest prediction for IQ. This clearly raises many big questions. If the poor cannot do the same, then the rich could quickly embed advantages and society could become not only more unequal but also based on biological classes. One response is that if this sort of thing does become possible, then a national health system should fund everybody to do this."
    Exactly. So he is musing that in some hypothetical future, some people might suggest a response. He is certainly not suggesting that the NHS should (present tense) cover the cost of such selection, which in any case isn't possible today. He's not even suggesting it for the future hypothetical circumstances. He's musing that it might be a future suggestion by others.
    Yep, they've spun his own words. Never seen that done by any paper before.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark

Are you allowed to use swear words on here?

Be careful, you might get a ban, lol.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I agree about Cummings. Not sure that pension tax relief will be much more than a minority interest though. Not bothered about it will be:

PS I am not saying discouraging citizens from saving for their retirement is a good thing though, far from it.

They are grafting and doing the right thing and are about to get punched in the face whilst the public sector and Boomers escape.

Boris will rue the day.
    Let's see what the actual budget proposals are shall we?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

While we wait: I'm not exactly a fan of Dominic Cummings, but the Guardian has surpassed itself in the dishonesty of this top-headline smear piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/sabisky-row-dominic-cummings-criticised-over-designer-babies-post

That they have the gall to think themselves superior to the Mail is astonishing.

The Guardian is not only superior to the Mail but in a completely different class. One quick look at the websites or typical front pages tells you that.

Yes, quoting Cummings on eugenic selection of babies on the NHS seems reasonable reporting to me.
    Is Dominic on his last legs, in your opinion?
    No, he will run a while longer. Johnson is too lazy to sack him, and he won't give up his precious lightly.

He wants to smash all the institutions of state. Like many Brexiteers he hates modern Britain.
    Given his apparent hatred for institutions and institutional ways of doing things, its surely not merely modern Britain.

Not that a shake up, a deep one, is not necessary sometimes and unlikely to be done without unhappy disruption, but the man does come across as a bit student politics, all usually basic ideas dressed up to be profound. He's at least got some wins under his belt.
  • Options

Err - the fact that it is entirely based on a lie that Cummings proposed or supported something which he didn't. Pretty basic, surely?
    No, quite the opposite. They have no doubt quoted them accurately, which is why it is entirely clear that they are smearing him Mail-style. He says nothing which bears the interpretation they've put on his words.
    Oh, he's fair game for sure. But you can' t twist words into a lie and also claim the moral high ground or be respected as a serious newspaper.
    I am struggling to see the lie tbh. Spin, yes, but show me the newspaper serious or otherwise that doesn't do that?
    "he suggested in his own writings that the NHS should cover the cost of selecting babies to have higher IQs".
    Which they support with this Cummings quote (my bold):

"Once we identify a substantial number of IQ genes, there is no obvious reason why rich people will not select the egg that has the highest prediction for IQ. This clearly raises many big questions. If the poor cannot do the same, then the rich could quickly embed advantages and society could become not only more unequal but also based on biological classes. One response is that if this sort of thing does become possible, then a national health system should fund everybody to do this."
    Exactly. So he is musing that in some hypothetical future, some people might suggest a response. He is certainly not suggesting that the NHS should (present tense) cover the cost of such selection, which in any case isn't possible today. He's not even suggesting it for the future hypothetical circumstances. He's musing that it might be a future suggestion.
    But I thought the plan was to sell the NHS to Trump ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

While we wait: I'm not exactly a fan of Dominic Cummings, but the Guardian has surpassed itself in the dishonesty of this top-headline smear piece:

Yes, quoting Cummings on eugenic selection of babies on the NHS seems reasonable reporting to me.
    No, he will run a while longer. Johnson is too lazy to sack him, and he won't give up his precious lightly.

He wants to smash all the institutions of state. Like many Brexiteers he hates modern Britain.
    Boris wasn't lazy last week, sacking all round him.

I thought Dom was the back bone of the government.
    Sacking enemies and rivals is easy, it is sacking allies and friends that takes effort.

Johnson will continue to let Cummings to run riot, until he becomes a threat to the PM.
  • Options
    isam said:

It says something about the people who run care homes that they are charging a grand a week per guest, yet the staff apparently won’t make the minimum amount required to get a work VISA.

Agreed - that's always baffled me. Where does the money go?!
  • Options
    isam said:

No. It shows that it is an extremely labour-intensive business.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Boris will rue the day.
    Let's see what the actual budget proposals are shall we?
    I think there is a tin ear floating this - potential to be a massive game changer.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Which they suppohealth system should fund everybody to do this."
    Exactly. So he is musing that in some hypothetical future, some people might suggest a response. He is certainly not suggesting that the NHS should (present tense) cover the cost of such selection, which in any case isn't possible today. He's not even suggesting it for the future hypothetical circumstances. He's musing that it might be a future suggestion.
    What is fascinating is how much the Guardian HATES Cummings. And fears him.

Their pursuit of him is obsessive. This is not a front page headline in any normal paper, but they have put it at the top.
    I agree with that point. It's also a bit pointless because, given the typical Guardian reader, they are preaching to the converted.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    isam said:

I agree. There's a black hole in the care industry which, judging by the comments of those I've seen interviewed, seems to disproportionately benefit those running it, quite possibly at a cost to the Revenue.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It just seems so unnecessary to lie when there's real things to utilise, but I guess it is Trump's america right now, they all know what works.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

It is settled science that Yorkshiremen have higher IQs. :smile:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,317

TOPPING said:

I am so glad you are not still banging on in post after post after post. After post. About Coronavirus.

Which is the most important topic today:

1. The Labour leadership election

2. The Democratic Party primaries

3. The impact of coronavirus on

a ) the Chinese Communist Party

b ) The world economy

c ) London house prices

d ) airport literature (I mean, nobody's flying = nobody's buying!!! C'mon....)

4. More fucking rain

5. Liverpool FC and their fucking reign?

The growing imperative to fork out £25 on Wilder/Fury.
  • Options

isam said:

It says to me that even if each guest had a care assistant each, the home would have over 27k a year per guest left over. Seems alright
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

Nice margin for the owners I guess. Now it might not be quite as lucrative
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

@MarqueeMark

Are you allowed to use swear words on here?

Be careful, you might get a ban, lol.

Kinda depends which ones - and about whom.

HINT: every naughty word - however mild - if aimed at those who monitor this site, will result in the ban hammer dropping......
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

That's the Inability_to_spend_money Quotient ? :wink:

Yorkshiremen: Deep pockets; short arms.
  • Options
    isam said:

Doesn't surprise me. Its not like you can have 20-30 residents per care worker and they only need care for 8 hours a day Monday to Friday is it?

Its a very labour intensive business that requires 24/7 care. There's 168 hours in a week so to provide 24/7 care you need more than 4 employees doing 40 hours per week just to have 1 person working at any one time.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    isam said:

Pet peeve: it’s “visa” not “VISA”. VISA is a brand of credit/debit card. The etymology of the document authorizing entry to a country is from the Latin “which has been seen”.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Sacking enemies and rivals is easy, it is sacking allies and friends that takes effort.

Johnson will continue to let Cummings to run riot, until he becomes a threat to the PM.
    Is Cummings allowed to run for PM?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Pet peeve: it’s “visa” not “VISA”. VISA is a brand of credit/debit card. The etymology of the document authorizing entry to a country is from the Latin “which has been seen”.
    Feeling better now? :wink:
  • Options
    alterego said:

isam said:

I agree. There's a black hole in the care industry which, judging by the comments of those I've seen interviewed, seems to disproportionately benefit those running it, quite possibly at a cost to the Revenue.
    Care home bankruptcies are on the rise, and indeed stressing the NHS as a result. They are not gold mines, even if understaffed with underpaid staff.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/959234/care-home-crisis-uk-government-elderly-care-bankruptcy
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Yes, I thought that as I wrote it. Sorry
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

It says to me that even if each guest had a care assistant each, the home would have over 27k a year per guest left over. Seems alright
    How do you figure that out?

A grand a week, divided by 168 hours per week, would mean that the care assistant each is earning just £5.95 per hour. But don't forget the grand a week the care home is charging will include 20% VAT so you're going to paying your assistant below £5 per hour - and that's with no other costs whatsoever.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

What about the dog?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Is Cummings allowed to run for PM?
    I don't think he is even a member of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    @TOPPING

My head says Denotay Wilder but my heart says Tyson Fury.

Are you in a similar situation?
  • Options

isam said:

Doesn't surprise me. Its not like you can have 20-30 residents per care worker and they only need care for 8 hours a day Monday to Friday is it?

Its a very labour intensive business that requires 24/7 care. There's 168 hours in a week so to provide 24/7 care you need more than 4 employees doing 40 hours per week just to have 1 person working at any one time.
    Plus at least the same again for holidays/time off/etc.

Then again I haven't got my spreadsheet out to guesstimate it. Has @isam?
  • Options

isam said:

Wow that's some patient/ carer ratio. Not much change out of a grand to fund wages alone. 🤔
  • Options

Tim_B said:

During my 10 years at boarding school (in Yorkshire) walking around with your hands in your pockets was severely frowned upon. I've just realized why :wink:
  • Options
    rpjs said:

isam said:

VISA is a brand of credit/debit card.
    Nope, it's Visa Debit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit
  • Options

@TOPPING

My head says Denotay Wilder but my heart says Tyson Fury.

Are you in a similar situation?

Yep. I have backed Wilder because it boils down to Fury not being able to avoid at least one bomb for 36 mins.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Benpointer:

I agree with that point. It's also a bit pointless because, given the typical Guardian reader, they are preaching to the converted

It's not pointless. Firstly, they hate him for winning Brexit and the rest. So it is emotionally gratifying to attack him.

They also think if they bang on enough, they can damage him sufficiently that he becomes a pain and a distraction to the government, and Boris will reluctantly sack him. This would be a victory, for them, BECAUSE they know he is very clever and an asset for the Tories. Like getting Barca to drop Messi about five years ago.

It is an agenda. The Guardian has a slanted agenda and it is pursuing it, just as the Daily Mail does. The papers are maniacal twin sisters, and saying one is superior to the other is just silly.

Nah. The Guardian and the Telegraph might be classed as maniacal twin sisters but the Daily Mail is just utter shite.

I can't prove it, it just is.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    kle4 said:

It just seems so unnecessary to lie when there's real things to utilise, but I guess it is Trump's america right now, they all know what works.
    Yep, no politician ever lied before Trump. True fact.
  • Options

isam said:

Say you have 10 employees for 20 residents....

10 x £25k wages is £250k
    20 x £1000 x 52 is £1.04m

And I doubt there is usually a member of staff per two residents is there?

• Options
    isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Visa Debit
    Visa Electron
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Who would you say is stingier between the Scots and the Welsh?
  • Options

eadric said:

Benpointer:

I agree with that point. It's also a bit pointless because, given the typical Guardian reader, they are preaching to the converted

It's not pointless. Firstly, they hate him for winning Brexit and the rest. So it is emotionally gratifying to attack him.

They also think if they bang on enough, they can damage him sufficiently that he becomes a pain and a distraction to the government, and Boris will reluctantly sack him. This would be a victory, for them, BECAUSE they know he is very clever and an asset for the Tories. Like getting Barca to drop Messi about five years ago.

It is an agenda. The Guardian has a slanted agenda and it is pursuing it, just as the Daily Mail does. The papers are maniacal twin sisters, and saying one is superior to the other is just silly.

Nah. The Guardian and the Telegraph might be classed as maniacal twin sisters but the Daily Mail is just utter shite.

So how do you keep abreast of what Kim Kardashian is up to if you don't read the Mail, mister smarty pants? Eh?
  • Options

rpjs said:

isam said:

Feeling better now? :wink:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Inc.
  • Options

isam said:

rpjs said:

isam said:

Visa Debit
    Visa Electron
    Yes... but for everything else there's Mastercard ;)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

A grand a week, divided by 168 hours per week, would mean that the care assistant each is earning just £5.95 per hour. But don't forget the grand a week the care home is charging will include 20% VAT so you're going to paying your assistant below £5 per hour - and that's with no other costs whatsoever.
    Based on 4 carers per resident?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

alterego said:

isam said:

Care home bankruptcies are on the rise, and indeed stressing the NHS as a result. They are not gold mines, even if understaffed with underpaid staff.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/959234/care-home-crisis-uk-government-elderly-care-bankruptcy
    I would suggest that it may have something to do with incompetence or worse (e.g. Southern Cross)
  • Options

rpjs said:

isam said:

VISA is a brand of credit/debit card.
    Nope, it's Visa Debit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit
    Barclays had Barclaycard - a VISA branded credit card - back in the 1960s. It started as a Bank of America spinoff
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

Plus £25k is stretching it. Most will be on minimum wage, so £17k.
  • Options
    One of the biggest mysteries is why care homes are usually so expensive when the people who work in them are so badly paid.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

oddball poll taken Feb 14-17 by Wall St Journal/NBC News...

Most unpopular qualities for a presidential candidate>>>

Socialist 67%
    Heart attack in past year 57%
    75+ years old 53%
    Self-funder 41%
    Under 40 40%

And there you have Sanders... ummm... problem.

You see, he is a socialist.
    In European terms , he is a Social Democrat.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eadric said:

Benpointer:

So how do you keep abreast of what Kim Kardashian is up to if you don't read the Mail, mister smarty pants? Eh?
    Who he?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

Usually as in anyone time? No.

Over the week and across the business? Yes, 100% I believe that.

To provide 24/7 uninterrupted coverage of just a single person working you need essentially 5 full time staff. There are 168 working hours per week in that industry, plus statutory holidays etc

But do you think there's just 1 person working at any one time?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

Benpointer:

Who he?
    Next but two supreme leader of DPRK.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Neither: I never descend to lazy national or regional stereotypes (apart from Yorkshiremen obvs.)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

Benpointer:

Who he?
    Next but two supreme leader of DPRK.
    Ah, Kim Ka Dash Yan
  • Options
    alterego said:

Barnesian said:

There is never a requirement to import staff to fill vacancies (besides skills shortages etc which will still happen).

If there are more vacancies than staff available for unskilled jobs then the solution is not to bring in more staff. Its for the free market to resolve it. Wages will go up for unskilled staff until the least competitive employers go out of business or switch to automation.
    How does that work in care homes?
    I'm gonna design and patent an automatic arse-wiper.
    Surely training dogs would be easier,
    Easier but riskier.

A 22-year-old man left in a coma after his genitals were "ripped off and eaten" by a bulldog had apparently smeared his crotch in peanut butter.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-who-genitals-ripped-eaten-13520910
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Do you understand care homes are 24/7 or not? Do you believe care home employees work 24/7 at no extra cost?

Or do you think the care home needs many staff to provide 24/7 uninterrupted coverage?
  • Options
    "Beijing has ordered three journalists working for the Wall Street Journal to leave the country after the newspaper published a “racist” article about the coronavirus outbreak that “maliciously attacks China”"

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/china-expels-journalists-for-racist-article-w9x0ml7dd
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alterego said:

isam said:

They only work when no capital is needed to buy the property. Which means you don’t get new ones...
  • Options

Foxy said:

alterego said:

isam said:

They only work when no capital is needed to buy the property. Which means you don’t get new ones...
    The fact that so many are in decrepit old mansions can't help with running costs.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

To provide 24/7 uninterrupted coverage of just a single person working you need essentially 5 full time staff. There are 168 working hours per week in that industry, plus statutory holidays etc

Well, upon googling, the ratio seems to be worse than one member of staff per five residents rather than the five per one that you mention
  • Options
    This is one of those situations where we need someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about, care homes-wise. An expert, perhaps.

I will come back in the morning to see if one has appeared.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

alterego said:

isam said:

About 50% of care home income goes on wages. A lot can go on interest payments.

A common business model with regular long term income like care homes or utilities is to borrow a large amount of debt and then pay a large special dividend to shareholders. This can often more than cover the cost of acquiring the company in the first place.

The resulting high interest payments are then covered by the regular income. However if there is pressure on margins (minimum wage, cash strapped local authorities etc ) then the company can go under.

The shareholders are OK because they've more than got their money back from the special dividend, and the taxpayer picks up the cost of looking after the elderly residents who can't be simply kicked out on the street.
  • Options

alterego said:

Barnesian said:

There is never a requirement to import staff to fill vacancies (besides skills shortages etc which will still happen).

If there are more vacancies than staff available for unskilled jobs then the solution is not to bring in more staff. Its for the free market to resolve it. Wages will go up for unskilled staff until the least competitive employers go out of business or switch to automation.
    Easier but riskier.

A 22-year-old man left in a coma after his genitals were "ripped off and eaten" by a bulldog had apparently smeared his crotch in peanut butter.
    I think this kind of behaviour is frowned on in most care homes.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Neither: I never descend to lazy national or regional stereotypes (apart from Yorkshiremen obvs.)
    To be fair, I've only ever known one Yorkshire man and he was stingy.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This is one of those situations where we need someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about, care homes-wise. An expert, perhaps.

I will come back in the morning to see if one has appeared.

Bloody hell - if we had to wait for an expert on every discussion we'd never say anything!
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

Which won't cost the care home £17k. Don't forget taxes like Employers National Insurance etc

National Minimum (Living) Wage, 40 hours per week, costs a company close to £21k per employee - make that 24/7 and including statutory payments etc and you're upto £100k just paying minimum wage to have just a single person working 24/7 . . . throw in VAT on top of that and you're up to over £120k for just a single person working by themselves.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Do you understand care homes are 24/7 or not? Do you believe care home employees work 24/7 at no extra cost?

Or do you think the care home needs many staff to provide 24/7 uninterrupted coverage?
    The simple way of solving this is how many staff are employed, and how many residents are there in the home?

What do you think the typical answers are?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

More like 16 hr a week staff so to keep Employer NI low :p
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

Which won't cost the care home £17k. Don't forget taxes like Employers National Insurance etc

National Minimum (Living) Wage, 40 hours per week, costs a company close to £21k per employee - make that 24/7 and including statutory payments etc and you're upto £100k just paying minimum wage to have just a single person working 24/7 . . . throw in VAT on top of that and you're up to over £120k for just a single person working by themselves.
    Yes, all valid points. The question then moves to how many residents can that £120k 24/7 virtual staff member look after?

I am beginning to see why running a care home might not be a gold mine.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"The downsides of a cashless society cannot be ignored
    TELEGRAPH VIEW"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/02/18/downsides-cashless-society-cannot-ignored/

Yeah, but BITCOIN
    “Others enjoy the privacy that paying in cash permits.”
    Translated: “how the hell am I going to spend my undeclared income”
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

The simple way of solving this is how many staff are employed, and how many residents are there in the home?

Counting everyone? Cooks, cleaners, care workers, nurses etc, etc, etc that works at a home - I'd expect there'd be about as many employees as there are residents.

What do you think the typical answers are? Bearing in mind its a high intensity sector requiring 24/7 care?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

isam said:

They aren't charging £1000 a week per guest for care homes. It is exaggerated by 25% to 65% depending on region. For care homes in the East Midlands the numbers were £600-650 a week.

The claim is nonsense on stilts. Where did it come from?

I think you may be confusing care home with *nursing* homes, and using a nursing home number from one of the expensive regions.

This is from the AgeUK website, and fits in roughly with numbers I was given when looking for my mum 6 months ago:

"How much will I have to pay for care?

Care home fees will vary depending on the area that you live in, the individual care home itself, plus your own personal financial circumstances. Costs average around £600-650 a week for a care home place and over £800 a week for a place in a nursing home. You can use this cost of care and eligibility in England tool to get an estimate for care costs in your area."

Here is the detail:
    https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1230281161907240960

• Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

Barnesian said:

Easier but riskier.

I think this kind of behaviour is frowned on in most care homes.
    Our dog goes into the local care home as a registered Pets As Therapy PAT Dog (foc, I should add).

Fortunately he's a fussy eater and under supervision at all times.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I think there are different levels of care and different levels of costs and charges so it is difficult to talk in generalities. Having seen both ends of caring (obviously not on any basis that could be relied upon as being representative), I believe the industry leaves quite a bit to be desired.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Counting everyone? Cooks, cleaners, care workers, nurses etc, etc, etc that works at a home - I'd expect there'd be about as many employees as there are residents.

What do you think the typical answers are? Bearing in mind its a high intensity sector requiring 24/7 care?
    Of course it’s ‘full board’ food as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    As a further point, Councils pay amounts that are about a third less than self-funders. See various Parliamentary Reports.

(Sorry - lost the £1000 per week for care home quote in the previous comment. Not sure who it was from, but the claim is massively exaggerated.)
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No not counting everyone. Cooks and cleaners, for instance, don’t need to be there 24/7 365

But let’s say you’re right, and it’s 1:1. The staff are all on 25k pa, and the residents pay a grand a week... that’s 27k a year per resident to cover the other costs and wet the owners beak. Seems alright

• Options
    MattW said:

isam said:

They aren't charging £1000 a week per guest for care homes. It is exaggerated by 25% to 65% depending on region. For care homes in the East Midlands the numbers were £600-650 a week.

I think you may be confusing care home with *nursing* homes, and using a nursing home number from one of the expensive regions.

This is from the AgeUK website, and fits in roughly with numbers I was given when looking for my mum 6 months ago:

Care home fees will vary depending on the area that you live in, the individual care home itself, plus your own personal financial circumstances. Costs average around £600-650 a week for a care home place and over £800 a week for a place in a nursing home. You can use this cost of care and eligibility in England tool to get an estimate for care costs in your area."

Here is the detail:

Lets not forget any number quoted immediately is inflated by 20% - employers get no refund on VAT for paying wages, in fact they get double-taxed. Charge a customer? 20% VAT whacked on top. Hire someone? Employers NI whacked on top.

And so far we're just discussing wages. Not even covered the cost of food, drinks, building, gas, electricity, NNDR or anything else whatsoever.
  • Options
    MattW said:

isam said:

Here is the detail:

The one near me

https://www.signature-care-homes.co.uk/price/signature-the-beeches-brentwood-care-home-prices

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    HYUFD said:
    I though Obama was a DINO, basically indistinguishable from a Republican.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    rpjs said:

isam said:

Visa in Latin is plural, so you mean 'from the Latin "which have to bee seen"'.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No not counting everyone. Cooks and cleaners, for instance, don’t need to be there 24/7 365

But let’s say you’re right, and it’s 1:1. The staff are all on 25k pa, and the residents pay a grand a week... that’s 27k a year per resident to cover the other costs and wet the owners beak. Seems alright

Not everyone is 24/7 - though cooks and cleaners are required 7 days a week even if not 24/7 - but I'm estimating overall the 24/7 staff and simply 7 days a week staff etc will sum up to about a 1:1 average.

If the residents pay a grand per week then instantly nearly 9k of that is VAT and going straight to HMRC not the care home

So now you're down to just 18k a year per resident to cover the cost of the building, food, drinks, electricity, gas and everything else.
  • Options
    @MattW

Maybe, ours are the cheapest because less people?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Ummm: if care assistants work eight hour shifts, five days a week, that means they work 40 hours out of 168. Now, you need fewer people at night. But even so, once you add:

- food
    - rent
    - maintenance
    - etc.

Then you can see how it easily adds up. Looking after the old and the infirm is labour intensive. Hence how many of these care homes end up going bust.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

10 x £25k wages is £250k

Ah. You made the point much better than I did.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

MattW said:

isam said:

Here is the detail:

Lets not forget any number quoted immediately is inflated by 20% - employers get no refund on VAT for paying wages, in fact they get double-taxed. Charge a customer? 20% VAT whacked on top. Hire someone? Employers NI whacked on top.

And so far we're just discussing wages. Not even covered the cost of food, drinks, building, gas, electricity, NNDR or anything else whatsoever.
    No.

VAT is not charged on Care Services and Supplies, but is on the "Hotel Charges" element.

And the table I posted is based on what people are charged I think. But the report with all the detail is a couple of hundred. See
    https://www.payingforcare.org/how-much-does-care-cost/

And IIRC homes which are charities are fully exempt.

But it is complex.

Similarly if I order diabetic medical supplies, I do not pay VAT - which helps with the £50 a fortnight for a Continuous Glucose Monitoring Sensor supply.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

isam said:

Here is the detail:

No.

VAT is not charged on Care Services and Supplies, but is on the "Hotel Charges" element.

And the table I posted is based on what people pay.

And IIRC homes which are charities are fully exempt.

But it is complex.
    Fair point. But still, are they exempt from NNDR, food, drinks, building costs, gas, electricity etc?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

A

Not everyone is 24/7 - though cooks and cleaners are required 7 days a week even if not 24/7 - but I'm estimating overall the 24/7 staff and simply 7 days a week staff etc will sum up to about a 1:1 average.

If the residents pay a grand per week then instantly nearly 9k of that is VAT and going straight to HMRC not the care home

So now you're down to just 18k a year per resident to cover the cost of the building, food, drinks, electricity, gas and everything else.
    Well we are guessing the ratio which really renders the discussion futile. I would be astonished if it’s 1 member of staff per 2 residents. This place had 5 staff a day for 33 residents

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/m736194-Care-Home-Staff-to-client-ratio

Have a google yourself, I’d say 1:1 would be like staying at the Ritz
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Why do you think that care homes have been such terrible businesses then?

Four Seasons went bust last year, and has gone through a succession of owners, each of which have failed to make it profitable.
This discussion has been closed.