Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie back as favourite for the Dem nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie back as favourite for the Dem nomination

The White House contender who was born three month before Pearl Harbour, Bernie Sanders, is back as the betting favourite for the nomination following a brief period when multi-billionaire, Mike Bloomberg, edged him out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Cummings is being personally sued:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sonia-khan-sacked-downing-street-dominic-cummings-unfair-dismissal-a9337311.html

Not the first time he’s had legal trouble either, there was another case in 2012.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Both news channels going OTT with this apparent suicide.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

There is an irony in the media going into meltdown over the death that was, in part, caused by the media going into meltdown.
  • Options

There is such a tasteless pun that could be made there.
  • Options

There is an irony in the media going into meltdown over the death that was, in part, caused by the media going into meltdown.
    "A domestic that got horribly out of control" - just said by someone on Sky News

No doubt that's how it would be described if this was a man...
  • Options

As they do with all things celebrity.

The coverage of Scholfield coming out was way over the top
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    tlg86 said:

"A domestic that got horribly out of control" - just said by someone on Sky News

No doubt that's how it would be described if this was a man...
    There is an issue about the different perceptions of domestic violence depending on the sex of those involved.

But we should save that for another day.

Someone has ended their life - probably in part because of media hounding

Whatever happened in the room between those two adults can now never be truly known. The outcome of the media coverage of it is now pretty clear.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    #FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Just on South Carolina.

I don't think Biden will win it.

If there's one thing we learned from New Hampshire, it's that people who say "Biden" when asked who they're voting for in the Democratic Primary are the same kind of people who - ummm... - don't bother to actually vote.

We've actually known this for some time. Because in survey after survey, lack of engagement with the Primary process and support for Biden are perfectly correlated. The less attention someone was paying, the more likely they were to vote for Biden.

Also, between now and South Carolina, we have Nevada.

It's a caucus. Sanders is clearly in the lead, but it's a weak lead with him (still) struggling on around a quarter of the vote. Steyer has been spending a fortune on TV adverts in the state, and has apparently got to 11% in the polls there, essentially flat with Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Warren. If you regard Biden's 18% in the polls as soft, then he's likely in no better position.

I don't see Biden winning Nevada. His vote is soft, and he's likely to struggle again.

The only question, to me, is will one of Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg end up breaking out and getting up towards 20%?

Sanders probably has the best organisation in Nevada. Buttigieg is not far behind. Warren and Klobuchar are weaker on the ground, and the latter is relying very much on a big ad buy. Steyer is likely to struggle to break 15%, and probably doesn't have many volunteers on the ground, so it's a really open question about which way his supporters will go in the second round.

So, my forecasts? Sanders to win Nevada with (again) an unconvincing percentage. Buttigieg second (again), Warren with a decent third, and Klobuchar and Biden duking it out for fourth.

Biden and Klobuchar cling on for South Carolina.

Where Sanders wins with (again) an unconvincing percentage. Biden second. Buttigieg third.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

a betting post or because Sanders will be the best choice to lose?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

It's a London based news story with plenty of stock footage available - a cheap story to report...
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eek said:

It's a London based news story with plenty of stock footage available - a cheap story to report...
    Celebrity is a double edged sword. Celebrities want publicity on their terms but not on the Media's, I am afraid you cannot have it both ways, but I agree there is a point when excess probing into private lives requires dealing with.
    id est per exemplum :anyone who wins the lottery should say nothing to anyone.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618

The British press. Killing people since Russell Harty, and before. Oh, those wacky psychopaths and their hounding people to death. Ho. Ho. Ho.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    I'm not sure that making profane comments is as damaging as it used to be after all the revelations of actual physicaal harassment by celebrities - certainly Trump would look very silly if he tried to bring it up.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eek said:

Celebrity is a double edged sword. Celebrities want publicity on their terms but not on the Media's, I am afraid you cannot have it both ways, but I agree there is a point when excess probing into private lives requires dealing with.
    Never heard of her before what’s the fuss?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Perhaps you can explain. I'm on at 9.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

eek said:

Never heard of her before what’s the fuss?
    I think you need to do some googling.... just look at her wiki page...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Sanders is now clearly preferred to Bloomberg head to head with Democratic primary voters, hence he is back as favourite

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1228387915807498241?s=20
  • Options
    Biden still ahead in South Carolina though

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1228418357059301376?s=20
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Just on South Carolina.

I don't think Biden will win it.

If there's one thing we learned from New Hampshire, it's that people who say "Biden" when asked who they're voting for in the Democratic Primary are the same kind of people who - ummm... - don't bother to actually vote.

We've actually known this for some time. Because in survey after survey, lack of engagement with the Primary process and support for Biden are perfectly correlated. The less attention someone was paying, the more likely they were to vote for Biden.

Also, between now and South Carolina, we have Nevada.

It's a caucus. Sanders is clearly in the lead, but it's a weak lead with him (still) struggling on around a quarter of the vote. Steyer has been spending a fortune on TV adverts in the state, and has apparently got to 11% in the polls there, essentially flat with Klobuchar, Buttigieg and Warren. If you regard Biden's 18% in the polls as soft, then he's likely in no better position.

I don't see Biden winning Nevada. His vote is soft, and he's likely to struggle again.

The only question, to me, is will one of Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg end up breaking out and getting up towards 20%?

Sanders probably has the best organisation in Nevada. Buttigieg is not far behind. Warren and Klobuchar are weaker on the ground, and the latter is relying very much on a big ad buy. Steyer is likely to struggle to break 15%, and probably doesn't have many volunteers on the ground, so it's a really open question about which way his supporters will go in the second round.

So, my forecasts? Sanders to win Nevada with (again) an unconvincing percentage. Buttigieg second (again), Warren with a decent third, and Klobuchar and Biden duking it out for fourth.

Biden and Klobuchar cling on for South Carolina.

Where Sanders wins with (again) an unconvincing percentage. Biden second. Buttigieg third.

Won’t his charisma carry him through? Although perhaps he’s just the Jeb Bush of the the Democrats.

I recall seeing Air Force 172 (A clapped out 757) at Dublin Airport in the fag end of Obama’s second term. That was Biden on a, slightly dressy, golf visit. He was good for only that 4 years ago. Time has not improved him.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Bloomberg is so OLD! Older than Biden. He was born one month after Pearl Harbour. He and Sanders are both 78. For some reason his age is not commented on.
  • Options

Yes, sad news about Caroline Flack, I see David Walliams is now getting flack on Twitter for a tasteless joke at the NTAs but nobody can predict a suicide.

2 recent suicides now though of people connected to Love Island, going on a reality show does not mean the media has to hound you after
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Dear Labour members

I don’t care which one of the other two you elect, but please don’t elect this person. Sanity is a requirement for politics, unless you are Dominic Cummings.

Best wishes

Y Doethur.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Dear Labour members

I don’t care which one of the other two you elect, but please don’t elect this person. Sanity is a requirement for politics, unless you are Dominic Cummings.

Best wishes

Y Doethur.
    She should be censured by the SRA for bringIng the legal profession into disrepute. As should Burgon, because.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

We're battling the billionaire class, Mike
    cc @AlastairMeeks ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Bloomberg is so OLD! Older than Biden. He was born one month after Pearl Harbour. He and Sanders are both 78. For some reason his age is not commented on.
    He's got heart stents similiar to Sanders too.
  • Options
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Dear Labour members

Best wishes

Y Doethur.
    She should be censured by the SRA for bringIng the legal profession into disrepute. As should Burgon, because.
    I was wondering what the Strategic Rail Authority had to do with the legal profession, other than making all of them rich, but I find on Google it’s also the acronym for Solicitors’ Regulation Authority.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    HYUFD said:
    Buttegieg doesn't seem to be expanding all that much after his initial results - his strategy not working?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Explain to me why ageism is better than racism and sexism.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

It is, but not as much. The vastness of his wealth makes for a more dominant talking point.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2020
    Sanders' life and personal and career history have only very limited parallels with Corbyn's. I enjoyed a very interesting read with his page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sanders
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I know why people say this, and many do, but as a unionist I find it worrying that how many cannot put aside party political issues for the sake of a wider issue like support for the union. Worrying too in that they do have reason for that stance, as they were and would likely continue to be punished if they did. I mean, most people accept that there are issues, as British people or Europeans or whatever, that mean its ok to work with people of other groups in support of the thing they do agree on.
    https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1228590234402775040
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cummings is being personally sued:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sonia-khan-sacked-downing-street-dominic-cummings-unfair-dismissal-a9337311.html

Not the first time he’s had legal trouble either, there was another case in 2012.

She was 'frogmarched' out of Downing Street?
    Incredible.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    HYUFD said:

Sanders is now clearly preferred to Bloomberg head to head with Democratic primary voters, hence he is back as favourite

Am I the only one who gets irritated by the fact that American sites seem to think we need help working out the difference between 48 and 44 is 4? I keep thinking it shows some movement but it doesn't.

BTW, the last thread was as poor a thread as I have read on PB in many a year.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Am I the only one who gets irritated by the fact that American sites seem to think we need help working out the difference between 48 and 44 is 4? I keep thinking it shows some movement but it doesn't.
    Yes, although mainly because like you note it took me an embarrassing length of time to realise it wasn't showing differences from some past polling. I've gotten used to it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Not really. Most of the folk working on TV will know her and are suffering tonight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, although mainly because like you note it took me an embarrassing length of time to realise it wasn't showing differences from some past polling. I've gotten used to it.
    I was exactly the same. Polling numbers that don't disclose the direction of travel are in any event seriously deficient. Quite often the direction of travel is more important than the absolute number.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Opinions that follow one’s Betting are a dangerous thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I've never watched Love Island but obviously this is an absolute tragedy. Is her death related to the show or more to do with her personal life.
    Horrendous whatever the reason anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've never watched Love Island but obviously this is an absolute tragedy. Is her death related to the show or more to do with her personal life.

Personal life, probably. The Guardian now have it as their main story, I guess because they can see an anti-popular press angle.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think this H2H polling shows there are plenty of "moderates" who are repulsed by the idea of a billionaire simply buying democracy.
    Bloomberg's wealth is tbh, another level - neither Trump nor Steyer are rich enough to pursue this strategy.
  • Options
    The depressing thing for the Democrats is that neither Buttigieg or Klobuchar are making any real progress. That the alternative to Sanders is someone who has chosen not even to take part in the states who have voted to date shows the mess that the race is in.

OTOH one of the upsides I can see of Bloomberg winning is that no one would feel the need to pay any attention to those arrogant, incompetent, bumbling and unrepresentative tossers in Iowa ever again. Runs a pretty close to second to the likelihood of Trump getting a good thrashing in my book.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me which film it was (black and white methinks)(spy drama Third man perhaps) where a man is shot whilst escaping from his flat thro the mouth of an advertising hoarding.? I'll explain why when I have seen the image...
  • Options

Can someone tell me which film it was (black and white methinks)(spy drama Third man perhaps) where a man is shot whilst escaping from his flat thro the mouth of an advertising hoarding.? I'll explain why when I have seen the image...

From Russia With Love.
  • Options

From Russia With Love.
    Yes... of course.. It sort of reminds me of another mouth..
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Opinions that follow one’s Betting are a dangerous thing.
    Give us a break. We're desperate.

We're several grand in the hole.

Anyway, it's not really an opinion. I think we'd just both like Bloomberg to kindly f-off.
  • Options
    Off Topic -

Following their win against Norwich this evening and as a result of Man City being thrown out of The Champions League for the next two seasons, Liverpool have now already qualified for next season's competition after playing only 26 of this season's 38 match Premier League programme ... quite remarkable!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think this H2H polling shows there are plenty of "moderates" who are repulsed by the idea of a billionaire simply buying democracy.
    Bloomberg's wealth is tbh, another level - neither Trump nor Steyer are rich enough to pursue this strategy.
    I might end up with the ouefs of a thousand geese on my face but:

(1) He's never got above 18% in a national poll
    (2) That polling is yet to be tested in any election
    (3) He does poorly in head to head and democrats are naturally suspicious of him

Is it still possible he makes it?

Yes. Money does seem to talk in America (and is respected) but I'd like to see how Super Tuesday develops and its polling aftermath before I volunteer for any haircut on him.

I can't trade my way out of this one.
  • Options
    Even further off topic I think someone commented a couple of days ago how impressive and detailed the modeling is for Singapore in respect of the Covid-19 outbreak: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-covid19-singapore-cases-feb-15-12437852

It also highlights how few SE Asian countries are going to capable of anything similar.
  • Options
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    That's enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.

And that's nothing to do with the betting.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    In the unlikely event Bloomberg won the nomination, probably only at the convention, Sanders might go third party if the choice was Trump v Bloomberg-Hillary
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    That's enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.

And that's nothing to do with the betting.
    Triumph of the entitled gerontracy?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even further off topic I think someone commented a couple of days ago how impressive and detailed the modeling is for Singapore in respect of the Covid-19 outbreak: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-covid19-singapore-cases-feb-15-12437852

It also highlights how few SE Asian countries are going to capable of anything similar.

Positive news in the UK too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51514628
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:
    It’s so nice and reassuring to know that the Democrats might propose to take on a nutter like Trump with somebody who proposed using nukes against Iran.
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    Very dodgy decision if so, not least in terms of its symbolism.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072

Off Topic -

Following their win against Norwich this evening and as a result of Man City being thrown out of The Champions League for the next two seasons, Liverpool have now already qualified for next season's competition after playing only 26 of this season's 38 match Premier League programme ... quite remarkable!

They might win the league at Goodison Park on March 16th. When's the earliest the top division has been won?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Because everyone who is old was once young.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:
    It's a political irrelevancy until the summer, but those are dangerous numbers for the LD's. Layla Moran could help revive them in the cities.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    If Biden can match the results of the recent polls with him 2nd in Nevada and winning South Carolina, he'll be back in the mix.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

HYUFD said:
    It's a political irrelevancy until the summer, but those are dangerous numbers for the LD's. Layla Moran could be help revive them in the cities.
    LD members poll shows Davey beating Moran 2 to 1.

It is mainly Tory Remain seats the LDs are targeting anyway where Labour are 3rd.

I agree once the Labour leadership is decided polls will be more relevant

https://yougov.co.uk/(popup:search/Lib dem leadership)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Pulpstar said:
    The most damaging story about him this week! It probably isn't true though.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

viewcode said:
    And why would she?

Is he doing a Blair / Brown and promising to only do 2 years ?
  • Options

viewcode said:
    He's annoying me. I dismissed him as a vanity candidate with a deep purse. I am now feeling very stupid. Bad Bloomberg. :(:(
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    There’s something wrong with this video. All I can see in the pilot’s cockpit is a huge pair of balls.

Seriously, just - wow...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:
    He's annoying me. I dismissed him as a vanity candidate with a deep purse. I am now feeling very stupid. Bad Bloomberg. :(:(
    So was Donald Trump.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:
    There’s something wrong with this video. All I can see in the pilot’s cockpit is a huge pair of balls.

Seriously, just - wow...
    That's seriously impressive flying.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:
    Is this a "leak" from a rival campaign?
  • Options
    What the hell could Hillary bring to the ticket other than baggage? Her amazing campaigning nous? Her wit? I don't see any upside at all.
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What the hell could Hillary bring to the ticket other than baggage? Her amazing campaigning nous? Her wit? I don't see any upside at all.

Her masterful technical skills, especially in running email accounts?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:
    He is a vanity candidate, Democratic voters will vote for Sanders over Bloomberg, in my view Bloomberg only gets to the general election if he goes Independent.

Democrats are not going to vote for a Bloomberg -Hillary ticket, because Hillary 2016 'was not elitist enough' they now need to add an ex Republican billionaire to a Hillary ticket is not a message to convince Democratic voters
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Her masterful technical skills, especially in running email accounts?
    Good point. Surely fake news.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:
    What's that loud cackling noise I can hear coming out of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:
    So was Donald Trump.
    YA THINK???!!!

(punches wall)

:(:(:(:(
  • Options
    DavidL said:

More Americans voted for Hillary than for Trump. It was only the fact of the crappy Electoral College system that saved Trump.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020
    I simply see the Washington Post article as simply Jeff Bezos vs Michael Bloomberg.
  • Options
    I'm sitting less than four feet from a copy. Your point?

• Options

DavidL said:

More Americans voted for Hillary than for Trump. It was only the fact of the crappy Electoral College system that saved Trump.
    No, one candidate understood the rules of the game and one didn't.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:
    He is a vanity candidate, Democratic voters will vote for Sanders over Bloomberg, in my view Bloomberg only gets to the general election if he goes Independent.

Democrats are not going to vote for a Bloomberg -Hillary ticket, because Hillary 2016 'was not elitist enough' they now need to add an ex Republican billionaire to a Hillary ticket is not a message to convince Democratic voters
    Not according to my 100% anecdotal sources.

Vote Sanders get Trump.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

I simply see the Washington Post article as simply Jeff Bezos vs Michael Bloomberg.

Wait till the 2032 election is Jeff Bezos vs Elon Musk.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No, one candidate understood the rules of the game and one didn't.
    The Electoral College system is crappy, end of.

Hillary = 65,853,514 American votes
    Trump = 62,984,828 American votes
  • Options
    Or LibDems crashing and burning?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Personal life, probably. The Guardian now have it as their main story, I guess because they can see an anti-popular press angle.
    Likely personal life, but in a way celebrity related. I wouldn't blame the media for reporting negative things about her, but media types probably do need to have a huge think about the support structures there for celebs whose lives go wrong in whatever way as the fallout from losing your livelihood and reputation in public is obviously brutal and compounded by the fact there's no hiding from it with social media nowadays.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Because you really CAN be too young or old for a job like president; you cannot be too black, white, male or female.
    Some say one can be too orange to be President. I would agree.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Pulpstar said:

speedy2 said:

Wait till the 2032 election is Jeff Bezos vs Elon Musk.
    It's kind of a four-way battle of the billionaires already.

Steyer vs Bloomberg vs Bezos vs Trump

But it's still a world of two kinds of people, those with loaded guns and those who dig, but which of them will dig ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    HYUFD said:
    Of course, a week before the Primary in New Hampshire, Biden was doing quite well in the polls there:

https://www.anselm.edu/sites/default/files/Documents/NHIOP/Polls/Democratic Voter Survey Jan-Feb 2020.pdf
    https://polsci.umass.edu/sites/default/files/ToplinesFeb2020-REVISED.pdf
    https://www.suffolk.edu/-/media/suffolk/documents/academics/research-at-suffolk/suprc/polls/new-hampshire/2020/2-3-2020_final_nh_tracking_marginals.pdf

And in both Iowa and New Hampshire, Biden got meaningfully lower vote shares than the polls indicated.

I think this comes down to two factors:

Firstly, Biden has a less good machine for getting voters out. Ground game matters in low turnout elections.

Secondly, Biden supporters are less politically engaged. There's almost a perfect correlation between "not much answers" to "how much attention are you paying to the Democratic primary?" and Biden support.

That's a big problem for Biden. It suggests that the more people focus on who to vote for in the Primaries, the less likely they are to vote for Biden.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

#FUCKOFFBLOOMBERG

Because you really CAN be too young or old for a job like president; you cannot be too black, white, male or female.
    However, you can also be accused of being mentally or physically unfit, or too inexperienced or unwise, both on grounds of age, when you aren't.

So you're half right, putting presidential or prime ministerial ageism in a unique category between prejudice and common sense, at times including both.

At the same time, most senior jobs aren't open to the very young or very old in the first place, meaning that age discrimination in the large zone in between is likely to be closer to prejudice.
This discussion has been closed.