Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trouble over bridged waters. Boris Johnson’s plan to link Scot

124»

Comments

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited February 2020
    RLB in to 11.5 from 14 (where she has been for a few days).

Not sure why - nominations tonight again about 2:1 for Starmer vs RLB.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    eadric said:

Cookie said:

eadric said:

Ooh here's a surprise. Alastair being negative about a Boris project :wink:

I'm no fan of Boris but it's all a bit predictable.

I thought I’d been fairly friendly to his intentions.
    "The ridiculousness of the proposal" you mean?

I pretty much loathe Boris and the tories but I'm sick of the pathetic negative whinging mindset of my fellow remainers.

Some of the most advanced countries in the world have a can-do attitude which includes some grand projects. Boris may fail on this but he may well not.

This proposal is ridiculous. The intentions behind putting it forward are not particularly. It’s not a serious proposal.
    Like him
    Boris is the kind of person who changes the world. You're not. I don't mean that to sound nasty, it's just true. Neither am I by the way.
    Come back to me when one of Boris Johnson’s grand projects actually happens. He’s batting about 0 for 5 at the moment.
    Uh, clearly you've not heard of "Brexit"

That was one of his "grand projects". AIUI, it got done.
    If you seek a monument, look around you at the ugly, diminished, shrivelled, flatlining country he is in charge of.
    And yes, this view is partial, and transient. But I don't recognise your view of the gloomy present.
    I have recently become very mildly obsessed with the Manchester skyline (I am obsessed with skylines, generally)

For the first time since the 19th century, a British city is making a game attempt to be a decent UK silver medal to London. Clearly London will never be surpassed (in UK terms). London has most of the money, ambition, status and all of the global appeal.

But Manchester is finally doing what, say, Edinburgh did in the 18th century or Birmingham did in the 19th and is saying OK London, you win, but we can still be impressive, in our own right.

It's great. Manchester is just 3 or 4 towers away from having a properly if modestly imposing skyline, equivalent to maybe Nashville or Hamburg or Perth (Oz), but with added unique industrial history. It could become quite a city.
    Are you from Manchester, Eadric?
    It's haed not to feel optimistic here right now. Everything's coming up Manchester. One step back, three steps forward.
    But then I look at Birmingham and their future looksjust as bright...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

Cookie said:

eadric said:

Cookie said:

eadric said:

Like him
    Boris is the kind of person who changes the world. You're not. I don't mean that to sound nasty, it's just true. Neither am I by the way.

I have recently become very mildly obsessed with the Manchester skyline (I am obsessed with shistory. It could become quite a city.
    It's haed not to feel optimistic here right now. Everything's coming up Manchester. One step back, three steps forward.
    No, I'm a Londoner, but I like to watch other cities, worldwide, and UK-wide. Manchester is intriguing. And energetic. And the skyline reflects that. One of the clusters of Manc towers is particularly appealing - that bunch that seems to glitter?

It is about time the north revived from its post industrial, Thatcher-hating pessimism and said "Fuck this, we can do this". A decent modern skyline to add to its amazing Victorian heritage would make Manc QUITE a city.
    Ha, yes. Manchester has always been quite can-do, if you set aside that period of the eighties when the city almost-but-not-quite succumbed to victim mentality.

My favourite part of Manchester, architecturally, right now, is the cluster of skyscrapers around Deansgate station. I think this is the bit you are talking about. All designed by Simpson Haugh - Mancunian architects who rather divide opinion: some deride them for producing boring rectangles, but I love them. To me, a cuboid is the natural shape of a building, but the way it is coated makes it, and their buildings are always very beautifully coated.

Let's not get too triumphant: we still have a lot of ugly cityscape. A lot. But it is changing amazingly quickly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Cookie said:

eadric said:

Cookie said:

eadric said:

"The ridiculousness of the proposal" you mean?

I pretty much loathe Boris and the tories but I'm sick of the pathetic negative whinging mindset of my fellow remainers.

Some of the most advanced countries in the world have a can-do attitude which includes some grand projects. Boris may fail on this but he may well not.

This proposal is ridiculous. The intentions behind putting it forward are not particularly. It’s not a serious proposal.
    Like him
    Come back to me when one of Boris Johnson’s grand projects actually happens. He’s batting about 0 for 5 at the moment.
    Uh, clearly you've not heard of "Brexit"

That was one of his "grand projects". AIUI, it got done.
    If you seek a monument, look around you at the ugly, diminished, shrivelled, flatlining country he is in charge of.
    And yes, this view is partial, and transient. But I don't recognise your view of the gloomy present.
    I have recently become very mildly obsessed with the Manchester skyline (I am obsessed with skylines, generally)

For the first time since the 19th century, a British city is making a game attempt to be a decent UK silver medal to London. Clearly London will never be surpassed (in UK terms). London has most of the money, ambition, status and all of the global appeal.

But Manchester is finally doing what, say, Edinburgh did in the 18th century or Birmingham did in the 19th and is saying OK London, you win, but we can still be impressive, in our own right.

It's great. Manchester is just 3 or 4 towers away from having a properly if modestly imposing skyline, equivalent to maybe Nashville or Hamburg or Perth (Oz), but with added unique industrial history. It could become quite a city.
    Lol at the idea of Sean being from Manchester!
This discussion has been closed.