Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie heading for New Hampshire victory with Biden in single

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie heading for New Hampshire victory with Biden in single figures

At this stage none of the networks has been ready to call the New Hampshire primary but it’s looking as though this is going to go with the final polling. Bernie Sanders winning but with nothing like the margin that he had over Hillary Clinton in the same state 4 years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Good speech from Biden, much more life. He just needs to hit SC big time, if he wins there while Buttigeg smashes into a wall then they'll swap places overnight.
  • Chameleon said:

Good speech from Biden, much more life. He just needs to hit SC big time, if he wins there while Buttigeg smashes into a wall then they'll swap places overnight.

Creepy Joe is just on a vanity trip. The old bugger should sod off.
  • speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Amy Klobuchar doing her best "My father was a mail man" speech.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited February 2020
    NYT estimates that only about 42% of votes have been counted so far (as opposed to precincts reporting). Sanders' lead is just 3,800 votes at the moment. Maybe Wasserman called it too early.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/buzzfeednews/live-results-new-hampshire-democratic-primary
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/02/11/us/elections/results-new-hampshire-live-forecast.html?
  • Chameleon said:

Creepy Joe is just on a vanity trip. The old bugger should sod off.
    Don't be cruel.
    Let the old fool play around a little longer. It'll be bedtime for him soon enough and it's not like he's really taking a lot of votes from anyone, anyway.
  • Combining the header's last three paragraphs, we see Biden dropping, the centrists gaining, and Mike Bloomberg about to split the centrist vote still further for the presumed benefit of Bernie Sanders. That would be ironic.
    A virtual tie between Sanders and Biuttigieg on less than 25% each wouldn't exactly be a great result for the Democrats following on from Iowa.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    NYT: Sanders 37,000

CNN: Sanders 48,000

So NYT way behind.
  • Biden down to 8%
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Biden down to 8%

8.5% by CNN ether way my hart bleeds for him, o wait, no it does not.
    MikeL said:

NYT: Sanders 37,000

CNN: Sanders 48,000

So NYT way behind.

Why are they behind?
    edited February 2020
    Well one thing is certain at this moment, the first 4 contests don't look like they will provide any clarity as to who will be the Democratic Nominee.

That's a first for the Democratic Primary since 1992, the Republicans had a similar issue in 2012.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    speedy2 said:

Well one thing is certain at this moment, the first 4 contests don't look like they will provide any clarity as to who will be the Democratic Nominee.

That's a first for the Democratic Primary since 1992, the Republicans had a similar issue in 2012.

That's absolutely right.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the polls evolve in the next couple of days
    Hmm.

Trump may actually win N.Hampshire in November because of the change in voter registration that depresses the Massachusetts Student vote.
    speedy2 said:

Hmm.

Trump may actually win N.Hampshire in November because of the change in voter registration that depresses the Massachusetts Student vote.

Trump has a -12 net approval rating there, which is worse than a lot of other marginal states.
    rcs1000 said:

speedy2 said:

Hmm.

Trump has a -12 net approval rating there, which is worse than a lot of other marginal states.
    The polling average against Democrats has him on -2.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sanders now back to a 5000 vote lead.
    One other thing to reflect on, in 2016 Sanders got 60.14% with 152,193 votes in the NH Primary, 26.1% and 54,914 votes, with 28% to declare, so maybe a bit less than 80K when all the votes are counted.

He has lost a lot more support than just that taken by Warren (9% ish)
    justin124 said:

Not on the CCN feed I am looking at:

BS: 56,695
    PB: 52,035
  • Bernie 1.01 on Betfair. Punters think it is all over.
  • BigRich said:

justin124 said:

It took me a few seconds to work out what PB stands for. :(
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Buzzfeed has
    BS 61,073
    PB 56,231

BigRich said:

justin124 said:

It took me a few seconds to work out what PB stands for. :(
    lol, I don't think,

But we all know its people who are voting that 'Pineapple Best'
    justin124 said:

BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Buzzfeed has
    BS 61,073
    PB 56,231
    Thanks Justin
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    It Remains to be seen if the audio tapes released today with Bloomberg talking about stop and frisk will have an effect.
    One thing I've noticed, Sanders is really bad at the media game, he always comes last on TV after everyone has gone to bed.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    79% reporting -

Sand 60026
    Butt 55944
    Klo 45839
  • Bernie backed off the boards. No money left.
    speedy2 said:

One thing I've noticed, Sanders is really bad at the media game, he always comes last on TV after everyone has gone to bed.

I think, most of his supporters, almost all of his atavists and perhaps all of his full time staff, have mentally bought in to the 'media are all out to get us' narrative and ones you are in that mind set its hard to have a constructive relationships.
    86% in by CNN,
    edited February 2020
    2 hours after PB called it for Sanders:

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1227441947540893708
    edited February 2020
    Buttigieg's speech reminds me heavily of Neil Kinnock's.

"Not this, but that, not in favour, but against" ect ect.
  • A bad night for Biden but also for Elizabeth Warren; both under 10 per cent and no delegates.
    Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

Surely that is nowhere near good enough for Sanders in a state he won by a landslide vs Clinton in 2016.
    Bill Weld has got over 11,000 and over 9% in the republican primary, good for him, but i think this will be his best result.
    You can't have a more different speech style than between Buttigieg's and Sanders.

Just listen to their speeches next to each other and the different style is impressive.
    BigRich said:

Bill Weld has got over 11,000 and over 9% in the republican primary, good for him, but i think this will be his best result.

Compared with Kasich that's down for a Liberal Republican.
    MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

Surely that is nowhere near good enough for Sanders in a state he won by a landslide vs Clinton in 2016.

You need to add Gabbard. But, yes, both New Hampshire and Iowa have had the "Left Lane" of the Democratic nomination getting 40% or less.

That matches polling on whether Democrats prefer moderates or idealists.
    Sanders now 2.74 for Dem Nom - having been 2.5 earlier this evening.

Suggests the market shares these doubts.
    speedy2 said:

You can't have a more different speech style than between Buttigieg's and Sanders.

Just listen to their speeches next to each other and the different style is impressive.

Just watched Buttigiegs speech, I like the man, I disagree on plenty of policy, (but probably less than most other Dems)

Seems that some Dems have realized it might be eraser to win the presidency with a candidate who 'like' the country he seeks to govern might be easier.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

You need to add Gabbard. But, yes, both New Hampshire and Iowa have had the "Left Lane" of the Democratic nomination getting 40% or less.

And Yang.
  • Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

And Yang.
    Yang has withdrawn so we should soon find out where his (small) support goes but my impression is that it will be dissipated.
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

And Yang.
    Yang is much harder to pigeon hole, because aside from the basic income, his policies are more Bloomberg than Sanders. But that one policy, universal basic income, is definitely on the left.

I think he probably splits fairly evenly between the left and right tracks
  • rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

And Yang.
    Yang is much harder to pigeon hole, because aside from the basic income, his policies are more Bloomberg than Sanders. But that one policy, universal basic income, is definitely on the left.

Actually UBI started life on the right wing, as a negative income tax.
  • Joe Biden was last matched at 17.5 for the nomination. He was the long term favourite and below 4 until very recently.
    Unmentioned on here is the small, but real, possibility that Buttigieg ends up with one more delegate than Sanders from New Hampshire.

You see, the two Congressional districts in New Hampshire each give 12 delegates. But CD2 has more primary Democrat voters in it, perhaps as many as 15% more.

If my Excel calculation is correct, Buttigieg will end up getting one more delegate in CD1 than Sanders, and *may* end up getting the same number in CD2.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Sanders 26%

Sanders + Warren 35%

And Yang.

Actually UBI started life on the right wing, as a negative income tax.
    That was always my understanding too - that this came out of the right.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    No polls from NV recently
  • Is Michael Bloomberg the candidate who should be happiest tonight? Everyone else at least has something to fret about, while the race remains confused.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51470088

No it doesn't.

Pete gains from this, and has more delegates than Bernie. But it's Mike Bloomberg who does best from this indecisive start to the Democratic nomination.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,933
    edited February 2020

Is Michael Bloomberg the candidate who should be happiest tonight? Everyone else at least has something to fret about, while the race remains confused.

No because of the videos which (according to twitter; I've not been bothered to look) suggest Bloomberg takes a stern line on policing: not quite lock up all the Blacks but not far off. But DYOR because supporters of rival candidates will be actively spinning this.
    edited February 2020

Is Michael Bloomberg the candidate who should be happiest tonight? Everyone else at least has something to fret about, while the race remains confused.

No because of the videos which (according to twitter; I've not been bothered to look) suggest Bloomberg takes a stern line on policing: not quite lock up all the Blacks but not far off. But DYOR because supporters of rival candidates will be actively spinning this.
    I think he'll ride that one out. I suspect a lot of African-Americans will silently agree with him and the rest of the U.S. will entirely agree.

(By the way, that's not what he said.)
  • Is Michael Bloomberg the candidate who should be happiest tonight? Everyone else at least has something to fret about, while the race remains confused.

Wonderful.
    edited February 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51470088

No it doesn't.

Pete gains from this, and has more delegates than Bernie. But it's Mike Bloomberg who does best from this indecisive start to the Democratic nomination.

The BBC thinks it goes 9/9/6 in terms of delegates. With Buttigieg getting 5 in CD1, and 4 in CD2, while Sanders is the other way around.

CD2 though is very close to being 4-4-4. If Klobuchar has a good last spurt, she'll edge up from 3.48 (rounded to 3) to 3.5+ (rounded up to 4). This would result in the delegate split for state being 9/8/7, with Buttigieg being the 9.

Amy Klobuchar must be optimistic. Third on 20 per cent (Bernie won with 25 per cent so she is not that far off) and can hope for transfers from Biden and perhaps even Warren if they drop out soon (which is, of course, not guaranteed). She looks well-placed to stay in the race and hope something turns up.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,071

No, I think that with Biden biting the dust, and Bernie winning but wobbling in his best State, that the voters do not want an old man. They want something fresh. Poor for Warren too.

The KLOBUCHARGE is gathering momentum...

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

Amy Klobuchar must be optimistic. Third on 20 per cent (Bernie won with 25 per cent so she is not that far off) and can hope for transfers from Biden and perhaps even Warren if they drop out soon (which is, of course, not guaranteed). She looks well-placed to stay in the race and hope something turns up.
    "You've tried the rest, now try....er....another one....."

Assuming Biden goes then ultimately Klobuchar and Buttigieg are going to have to decided between them who takes the moderate mantle forward.

Between them they could get half the vote in remaining states, assuming Bloomberg ends his cockblocking.

Assuming Biden goes then ultimately Klobuchar and Buttigieg are going to have to decided between them who takes the moderate mantle forward.

Between them they could get half the vote in remaining states, assuming Bloomberg ends his cockblocking.
    The DNC would be eternally grateful to Buttigieg if he were to make a deal with Klobuchar.

And it would probably much ensure that Bloomberg fell into line too.

Go on Baemy/Buttigieg, make that deal.

I had a quick look round Mayor Pete's official site earlier on and so far as I can see, well, nothing really. I'm not even 100 per cent sure he is in favour of motherhood and apple pie. Otoh he speaks well, although @speedy2 earlier in this thread thought he detected Kinnockian strains, the issue that sunk Biden back in the 20th Century.
    The powerful Culinary Union has just sent a message to it's 60,000 members in Nevada that Sanders is too great a risk because (a) he'll lose to Trump and (b) if he won, he'd take away their healthcare.
    edited February 2020
    Weinstein, Epstein, Stop n Frisk. Some skeletons starting to emerge from someone's closet..
    Well I mean they're out there but stuff needs repeating a gazillion times before anyone notices

"You've tried the rest, now try....er....another one....."
    Tories last year; Labour and LibDems this; GOP 2016; Dems now: I cannot think of a recent contest with a single inspiring candidate.
    Does the Culinary union hold that much power over their employees ? Nissan and Sunderland spring to mind.
  • rcs1000 said:

If Buttigieg offers Baemy the VP slot she should take it, she can give him 6 months then shiv him with a stapler
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Warren now 70 for the nomination.

• Pulpstar said:

Does the Culinary union hold that much power over their employees ? Nissan and Sunderland spring to mind.

Also think Ed Miliband and the GMB though
    Joe Bye-den
  • TGOHF666 said:

The question for Warren, and apologies to the squeamish, is whether to hang on in case Bernie's ticker plays up again. Doubtless some poor staffer is scanning the actuarial tables.
    Pulpstar said:

I think it matters if they actually endorse someone and throw their organising weight behind them.

But a warning email... Minimal effect.
    Pulpstar said:

Weinstein, Epstein, Stop n Frisk. Some skeletons starting to emerge from someone's closet..
    Well I mean they're out there but stuff needs repeating a gazillion times before anyone notices

Blimey. If I was Mike I'd be quite nervous about this post.

Hell of an insinuation.
  • TGOHF666 said:

Où sont les favoris d’antan?
    Biden was 4x nearer Steyer than Buttigieg.

Pulpstar said:

Blimey. If I was Mike I'd be quite nervous about this post.

Hell of an insinuation.
    I don't think he's going to be nervous about some reasonably anonymous and low profile forum poster.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

No, as Giuliani showed in 2008 missing the early states is not a good idea, Bloomberg will be playing catch up with no momentum
    The internal numbers from NH look decent for Sanders heading to NV I think, well ahead of Boooootyedge with non white voters
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it matters if they actually endorse someone and throw their organising weight behind them.

Nevada is largely irrelevant as usual, South Carolina is key, if Sanders or Biden wins South Carolina then Sanders will be strong favourite for the nomination, either having won 2 out of 3 of the big early states or with the moderate field still split further and Buttigieg and Klobuchar going nowhere

TGOHF666 said:

The question for Warren, and apologies to the squeamish, is whether to hang on in case Bernie's ticker plays up again. Doubtless some poor staffer is scanning the actuarial tables.
    Recent heart attach.
    Close to 80 years old.
    Engaged in a stressful and tiring activity.

Why would anyone worry about Sanders health?
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Nevada is largely irrelevant as usual, South Carolina is key, if Sanders or Biden wins South Carolina then Sanders will be strong favourite for the nomination, either having won 2 out of 3 of the big early states or with the moderate field still split further
    You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.
    Pulpstar said:

The internal numbers from NH look decent for Sanders heading to NV I think, well ahead of Boooootyedge with non white voters

I always had NV as a Warren state, given her Union connections.

But it will be interesting to see what happens. Buttigieg speaks Spanish, I think.
    Pulpstar said:

Non white voters won’t vote for a gay candidate?
    Nevada is Warren's last hope I think
    Chameleon said:

Yes South Carolina is key, if Biden wins big there, compared to Buttigieg's scrap of a win in Iowa he will be the main non Sanders moderate candidate, Sanders' NH win having effectively dispatched Warren on the left liberal end
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Nevada is largely irrelevant as usual, South Carolina is key, if Sanders or Biden wins South Carolina then Sanders will be strong favourite for the nomination, either having won 2 out of 3 of the big early states or with the moderate field still split further
    You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.
    It is true, no candidate has won Nevada and the nomination while also losing Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina.

No candidate though has failed to win Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina and got the nomination
    HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Yes South Carolina is key, if Biden wins big there, compared to Buttigieg's scrap of a win in Iowa he will be the main non Sanders moderate candidate, Sanders' NH win having effectively dispatched Warren on the left liberal end
    Didn't you say that the early numbers from the exit poll we'rey really good for Biden and bad for Buttigieg?
    In all the excitement of NH , the storyof the SNP Forth Bridge which can’t open when it’s cold - in Scotland is limited to local outlets.

https://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/1227367758159122432?s=21
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.
    It is true, no candidate has won Nevada and the nomination while also losing Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina.

No candidate though has failed to win Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina and got the nomination
    https://xkcd.com/1122/
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.

How many candidates have lost Iowa and Nevada and still won the Democratic nomination? Ahhhh... That would be one.

How many Democratic candidates lost Iowa, won New Hampshire, and then won the nomination? Ahhhh... I think the answer is zero. (With Clinton '08 and Sanders '16 being the obvious examples.)

The point is that there are incredibly few datapoints to draw upon. And there are certainly no sweeping certainties.
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Didn't you say that the early numbers from the exit poll we'rey really good for Biden and bad for Buttigieg?
    No, I said if over 65s voted in greater numbers that might help Biden as he did best with them, I did not say it would be bad for Buttigieg just he did best with 50 to 65s and Sanders with under 50s.

However I also cautioned young voters voted later and not to read too much into it
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.

How many candidates have lost Iowa and Nevada and still won the Democratic nomination? Ahhhh... That would be one.

How many Democratic candidates lost Iowa, won New Hampshire, and then won the nomination? Ahhhh... I think the answer is zero. (With Clinton '08 and Sanders '16 being the obvious examples.)

The point is that there are incredibly few datapoints to draw upon. And there are certainly no sweeping certainties.
    They won because of Iowa not Nevada, Iowa was their first win.

Bill Clinton lost Iowa was second in New Hampshire but won South Carolina so again Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina are key.

Romney on the Republican side won New Hampshire and the nomination despite losing Iowa and South Carolina in 2012. In 2008 Romney won Nevada but lost Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and ended up 3rd behind McCain and Huckabee
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,719
    Good morning everyone. Totally O/t, but the wind seems to have dropped, at least for a bit, and it’s a rather nice winter morning.
    On topic, could I be persuaded to go out and vote, even against Trump, for someone who is almost my age? Only if he or she had a running mate who could step into their shoes.
    I know how I feel, and we saw Mr G, at a similar stage in life, reporting yesterday on cutting down on activities.
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You keep saying this.

It doesn't make it true.

They won because of Iowa not Nevada, Iowa was their first win.

Bill Clinton lost Iowa was second in New Hampshire but won South Carolina so again Iowa, New Hampshire or South Carolina are key.

Romney on the Republican side won New Hampshire and the nomination despite losing Iowa and South Carolina in 2012. In 2008 Romney won Nevada but lost Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and ended up 3rd behind McCain and Huckabee
    In 1988 Dukakis lost Iowa, won New Hampshire and lost Nevada and lost South Carolina and still ended up the Democratic nominee
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited February 2020
    Lots of #YangGang people showing up on r/BaemyKlobaechar. Don't know if it's another sign of the KLOBUCHARGE, or if they're showing up everywhere, or if it's just that Baemy has a lot of untapped memetic potential.
  • rcs1000 said:

The DNC would be eternally grateful to Buttigieg if he were to make a deal with Klobuchar.

And it would probably much ensure that Bloomberg fell into line too.

I’d be eternally grateful to Buttigieg as well.

I might even write him a cheque*

(*campaign finance laws notwithstanding)
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    MikeL said:

Sanders now 2.74 for Dem Nom - having been 2.5 earlier this evening.

Suggests the market shares these doubts.

Yes, as a natural Sanders sympathiser I think the narrow win is disappointing - Sanders needs to give an impression of overwhelming momentum, and he can't rely on a split centrist vote indefinitely. On the whole, I think Buttigieg has most to be pleased about.
  • Is Warren worth topping up with £3 or £4 at 70s?

Lots of #YangGang people showing up on r/BaemyKlobaechar. Don't know if it's another sign of the KLOBUCHARGE, or if they're showing up everywhere, or if it's just that Baemy has a lot of untapped memetic potential.

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1227403770377703424?s=09

Amy has impressive stamina, she will keep going.

Is Warren worth topping up with £3 or £4 at 70s?

She is out of it now after 2 poor showings.. It will be interesting to see where her vote goes.
  • Pulpstar said:

I wonder, who could you mean?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

Is Warren worth topping up with £3 or £4 at 70s?

Better to do for president at 249/1. And I'd say yes, there's still some way to go.
This discussion has been closed.