Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Boris Bridge to Ireland plan – the ultimate vanity project

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

This is incredible... let off after brandishing a sword outside Buckingham Palace shouting ‘Allahu Alhbar’... oh wait he was blagging it all along, what a surprise

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1226889030211702784?s=21

Who seriously thinks this guy should not be locked up for a life sentence?
    And what about the Jury that unanimously acquitted him?
    Presumably lock up the prosecutor, defence barrister and judge for being a bit shit too.

Isn't the retrospectoscope a wonderful thing?
    Recruit the defence barrister for the prosecution. They were clearly anything but shit.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

This is incredible... let off after brandishing a sword outside Buckingham Palace shouting ‘Allahu Alhbar’... oh wait he was blagging it all along, what a surprise

Did you miss the line that he's just been convicted?
    No, but he was acquitted the first time after waving a sword outside Buckingham Palace and injuring a police officer seeking to disarm him. I mean, what were they on?
    Oh I get you sorry, I thought you were saying that was a reason not to lock him up for life.

I don't get how the jury reached that conclusion. Even with "beyond a reasonable doubt"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2020

Top of the list wasn't meeting his maker, though. It was a tour of the palace he assumed he would be given.

Second on the unmarried chicken shop worker's list was to meet and consummate his relationship with 72 wives.

I can't help feeling that Islam has come up with a more compelling retail offer than Christianity:

When like stars His children crowned,
    All in white shall wait around.
    - doesn't really compete, does it?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

Presumably lock up the prosecutor, defence barrister and judge for being a bit shit too.

You don't have to be Lady Hale to know that our system of 'beyond reasonable doubt' allows lots of the guilty to go free so as to minimise the chance of convicting the innocent. Amazingly some of the guilty take advantage of this ancient and excellent principle. Gosh.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2020
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

You don't have to be Lady Hale to know that our system of 'beyond reasonable doubt' allows lots of the guilty to go free so as to minimise the chance of convicting the innocent. Amazingly some of the guilty take advantage of this ancient and excellent principle. Gosh.

Its the fact it was all recorded on video and two police officers were attacked, who gave their testimony saying he was trying to kill them.

Not exactly a he said / she said incident with with no sign of some mystery Russian.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    How does one come up with the cost of an enormous infrastructure project, when everyone knows damn well it will end up costing 2-3 times what you say it will at least? Might as well start off saying it will cost double even that, so then it seems cheap in reality.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited February 2020
    I see all this critisism about a bridge.

But I think that critisism is as political as the bridge, because no one has proposed the alternative of a tunnel like the channel tunnel.

People opposed to the bridge oppose any connection between Ireland and Britain for political reasons.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

How does one come up with the cost of an enormous infrastructure project, when everyone knows damn well it will end up costing 2-3 times what you say it will at least? Might as well start off saying it will cost double even that, so then it seems cheap in reality.

Cos you then don't get to win the bid to manage / design the project?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

Stop digging.

Cut Medicare you say? Dems you have your target.

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1226875243895062529

Why does Trump want to spend more on the Military when he is supposed to be pulling back from foreign wars?

Is it because he just likes the idea of having lots of soldiers and tanks and missiles?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stop digging.

Why does Trump want to spend more on the Military when he is supposed to be pulling back from foreign wars?

Is it because he just likes the idea of having lots of soldiers and tanks and missiles?
    Trump's budgets are a prime example that he never reads what is in front of him.

I remember the budget in which he slashed the Special Olympics and then when he saw on TV what was in his budget he tossed the budget in the bin.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Massive Metrolink expansion over the last decade has cost well over £1bn, has been delivered within budget and each line opened early.

For things like HS2 it is often the treasury making assumptions about efficiencies that should be achieved that materialise.

The treasury expected HS2 to be built at 80% of the cost per KM of HS1 (allowing for inflation) because the treasury expected construction of such schemes to be more efficient than the last time such a railway was built.

The treasury was wrong, no such efficiencies had developed in the industry.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I meant the government should just randomly say it will cost, say, 100bn, then when someone pitches they can do it for 20bn and then it costs 60bn it still looks good.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I meant the government should just randomly say it will cost, say, 100bn, then when someone pitches they can do it for 20bn and then it costs 60bn it still looks good.
    The P50 and P95 costs have a lot more science behind them than people typically realise.

It is when assumptions about how to translate previous experience to the new scheme are wrong you get problems.

See my post below, Metrolink delivered before time and on (below) budget, HS2 based on incorrect treasury assumptions.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

But I think that critisism is as political as the bridge, because no one has proposed the alternative of a tunnel like the channel tunnel.

People opposed to the bridge oppose any connection between Ireland and Britain for political reasons.

Not at all, I'd love a connection between the two in whatever form. I just think Boris has a hard on for big projects and I suspect it'll be way too expensive for the good it'd do or come to nothing.
  • Options

Some good news! That vacation scheme/training contract application at a commercial law firm I was working on was successful and I’ve been offered an interview next week. First hurdle passed successfully.

100% record so far!

Wish me luck... Thanks to all of you that have helped me.

Good luck.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Massive Metrolink expansion over the last decade has cost well over £1bn, has been delivered within budget and each line opened early.

Trafford Centre branch due open in April, I've been told...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Trafford Centre branch due open in April, I've been told...
    Yep, several months ahead of schedule.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

Its the fact it was all recorded on video and two police officers were attacked, who gave their testimony saying he was trying to kill them.

Not exactly a he said / she said incident with with no sign of some mystery Russian.
    Nothing should ever be taken for granted with juries. There will be hell to pay if another ongoing trial ends with an acquittal.
  • Options

Some good news! That vacation scheme/training contract application at a commercial law firm I was working on was successful and I’ve been offered an interview next week. First hurdle passed successfully.

100% record so far!

Cool. Now, being interviewed is a skill so rehearse just as you would revise for an exam. Write down the likely questions on flashcards or the like, shuffle them, and practise saying the answers *out loud*. Do not try to learn them like an actor committing Hamlet to memory but get used to starting to talk more or less immediately rather than wasting your one chance by umming and ah-ing while you try to think of a time you did X or Y. Considering likely questions might also reveal any weak spots. Then you just need to hope you are not up against their main client's favourite nephew for the job.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

speedy2 said:

Not at all, I'd love a connection between the two in whatever form. I just think Boris has a hard on for big projects and I suspect it'll be way too expensive for the good it'd do or come to nothing.
    Same thing was said about the Channel Tunnel.

Those who support transport links to France are usually the same who oppose transport links to Ireland.
    It's all politics.

The Remainer-Secessionist faction thinks like this:

Transport links to France equals to them closer social links to Europe, transport links between the different parts of the UK are bad because it creates closer social links between the different parts of the UK.

The reverse is true for Leavers-Unionists.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited February 2020
    speedy2 said:

I've seen a tunnel discussed. The problem is the mixture of power lines and explosives which litter the sea floor.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

100% record so far!

Cool. Now, being interviewed is a skill so rehearse just as you would revise for an exam. Write down the likely questions on flashcards or the like, shuffle them, and practise saying the answers *out loud*. Do not try to learn them like an actor committing Hamlet to memory but get used to starting to talk more or less immediately rather than wasting your one chance by umming and ah-ing while you try to think of a time you did X or Y. Considering likely questions might also reveal any weak spots. Then you just need to hope you are not up against their main client's favourite nephew for the job.
    Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated! I’ve had a previous career (not in law) and have been historically quite good at interviews, but its been over 4 years since my last one so I am probably quite rusty. Lots of rehearsal time ahead of me for this week I think...
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    speedy2 said:

The sea bed between Scotland and Northern Ireland is nothing like the Straits of Dover. The latter is shallow & chalk marl, then former is deep, rocky & of wildly varying depth (100-300m IIRC).

Not impossible to tunnel through, but a completely different order of difficulty.

You could float a tunnel anchored to the sea bed with chains, but that’s never been done before. Likewise using a floating bridge on submerged pontoons might work (and is something that has been done successfully elsewhere), but exposes the bridge to the worst of Atlantic weather.

None of this is impossible, just much more expensive than you might expect.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    edited February 2020
    The government confirms its plan is to make it more expensive and time comsuming to trade with our largest export market.

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1226924486060060673
  • Options

100% record so far!

Great stuff Gallowgate!

Broadly agree with the hints here (try to ask yourself intelligent, moderately difficult questions - the real ones will usually be easier, they're not going to be Paxman types). But they will probably start with an open question like "Why do you want to work here?" and it's important to be fluent, unhurried and clear for that. If you need to pause for thought, pause, don't play for time with "errrrr" - not answering everything instantly is fine.
  • Options
    Phil said:

speedy2 said:

The sea bed between Scotland and Northern Ireland is nothing like the Straits of Dover. The latter is shallow & chalk marl, then former is deep, rocky & of wildly varying depth (100-300m IIRC).

Not impossible to tunnel through, but a completely different order of difficulty.

You could float a tunnel anchored to the sea bed with chains, but that’s never been done before. Likewise using a floating bridge on submerged pontoons might work (and is something that has been done successfully elsewhere), but exposes the bridge to the worst of Atlantic weather.

None of this is impossible, just much more expensive than you might expect.
    It never stopped the Oil companies in the middle of the North Sea.

I would expect similar but already existent and tested engineering for a bridge to Ireland.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,717

100% record so far!

Great stuff Gallowgate!

Broadly agree with the hints here (try to ask yourself intelligent, moderately difficult questions - the real ones will usually be easier, they're not going to be Paxman types). But they will probably start with an open question like "Why do you want to work here?" and it's important to be fluent, unhurried and clear for that. If you need to pause for thought, pause, don't play for time with "errrrr" - not answering everything instantly is fine.
    Move your chair slightly before sitting. A mark of confidence and authority.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

The government confirms its plan is to make it more expensive and time comsuming to trade with our largest export market.

Why are they doing this? What do they hope to achieve? What benefit are the seeking to gain, I really don’t understand.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Except, of course, Brexit has only just started. But you knew that .... ;)

Indeed so. Brexit the Event is over but Brexit the Process has yet to begin. Where it will go and how it will feel along the way nobody knows. Will we see a big drop in foreigners coming to live here? Will our economy prosper on the back of new trade deals with exotic, far flung places? Will the natives step up and do the jobs that the foreigners who are no longer coming used to do? Will we have more international clout as Global Britain than we did as EU Britain? And above all - will the day to day reality of being once again a fully independent Island Nation in charge of our own Everything satisfy the yearnings of the neglected people in neglected places who have placed their faith in Brexit and its affable frontman - the politician known to all as "Boris". We will see.
    That's all issues for the future and is not Brexit which is over.
    Enjoy your delusions... Brexit will take years but f*** it, I do not really care :D:disappointed:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Why are they doing this? What do they hope to achieve? What benefit are the seeking to gain, I really don’t understand.
    Gotta take back control, man. Haven’t you been listening?
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

The one amazing thing about the Irish election is just how well Sinn Fein have done when considering their many past links with Jeremy Corbyn.

I see that the Shinners are celebrating by singing songs that would have you thrown out of the fitba.
  • Options

100% record so far!

Great stuff Gallowgate!

Move your chair slightly before sitting. A mark of confidence and authority.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUg-b31y5c
  • Options
    nichomar said:

There is no benefit to making it tougher to do cross-border business. But we are now free to do it. So I guess that’s the point. Though, obviously, those introducing the red tape will not be affected by it. Phew!

• Options

kinabalu said:

Indeed so. Brexit the Event is over but Brexit the Process has yet to begin. Where it will go and how it will feel along the way nobody knows. Will we see a big drop in foreigners coming to live here? Will our economy prosper on the back of new trade deals with exotic, far flung places? Will the natives step up and do the jobs that the foreigners who are no longer coming used to do? Will we have more international clout as Global Britain than we did as EU Britain? And above all - will the day to day reality of being once again a fully independent Island Nation in charge of our own Everything satisfy the yearnings of the neglected people in neglected places who have placed their faith in Brexit and its affable frontman - the politician known to all as "Boris". We will see.
    Enjoy your delusions... Brexit will take years but f*** it, I do not really care :D:disappointed:
    Take years to do what?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Cambridge Analytica have just declared for Starmer.

For those who thought they weren’t affiliated to Labour, something had been done on a system overnight and now they are.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Precisely. The whole point is to take back control.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

nichomar said:

and control means additional paperwork...
  • Options

nichomar said:

It is vital we have the ability to make it harder for our businesses to do business. The puzzle is why this was always denied. Why were we promised frictionless trade and all the benefits of EU membership with none of the downsides when the intention was always to actually do the opposite?

• Options
    edited February 2020

twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1226949017483071489

Amazing what spending $100 millions on advertising can do....

I know he has said he will do whatever it takes to get rid of Trump, but will he really fund Bernie if he doesn't get the nomination and Sanders does? And I presume Bernie won't want to be seen to take a BILLLLLLIONNNNNNAIRES money.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Take years to do what?
    To be free of Europe. I would not be surprised if it took a decade or two. Europe will call the tunes that we will dance to for the forseeable future which it why it would make a lot more sense for the UK to be at the centre of the project rather than being dragged along behind.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It is vital we have the ability to make it harder for our businesses to do business. The puzzle is why this was always denied. Why were we promised frictionless trade and all the benefits of EU membership with none of the downsides when the intention was always to actually do the opposite?

We were told that at the time. Repeatedly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    edited February 2020
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

Nothing should ever be taken for granted with juries. There will be hell to pay if another ongoing trial ends with an acquittal.
    Even The Guardian are not making excuses

https://twitter.com/haroon_siddique/status/1226940394518274048?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    isam said:

twitter.com/haroon_siddique/status/1226940394518274048?s=21

Not sure they can blame this on Boris for once though.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Not by those advocating we leave. Still, we are where we are. Fuck Business has won and that is that.

• Options
  • Options

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?
  • Options

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,409
    edited February 2020
    If he gets into a senior position the party certainly will be being led by at least one member.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If he gets into a senior position the party certainly will be being led by at least one member.
    I see what you did there.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?

Project Fear.

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    Do Ireland have a tradition of minority governments with passive external support?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

HYUFD said:
    Do Ireland have a tradition of minority governments with passive external support?
    Whatever the history they just have to work something out.

Ireland is its own nation.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

No doubt, but only the jury saw and heard all the evidence when charged under oath to perform a particular duty impartially. In our system, broadly, you only have to find that that there is a doubt somewhere in the prosecution's chain of reasoning, or that the defence case might have some possibility of having something in it, to acquit.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Sense that Richard Burgon is becoming a victim of bullying on here now. Rather like Chris Grayling did. Makes me a little uncomfortable. I never joined in the Grayling abuse and I feel the need to stand up for Burgon now. Well not NOW - other things call - but at some point going forward.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    What a bloody stupid idea.

What on earth is the point of it?

Bad enough the blond git wasting £50 million of Londoners' money on his daft bridge idea without him doing the same (x 10) on this nonsense.

Investing in electrical charging infrastructure would be a much better use of the money - and wouldn't cost as much.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?
    For starters: David Cameron, the Treasury, George Osborne, a leaflet mailed to every house in the country before campaigning began, Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon, Theresa May, the CBI, the Remain campaign and Dominic Grieve.

That's without getting into the fact that Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and more said we would leave the Single Market and take back control. Not that it's Leavers job to make arguments for Remain.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

HYUFD said:
    Does.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I'm confused. He calls the claims "wilfully misleading" and then says "members should get a say on whether our Party backs wars".

What the hell is the even more outrageously stupid idea that he didn't support?
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    kinabalu said:

Sense that Richard Burgon is becoming a victim of bullying on here now. Rather like Chris Grayling did. Makes me a little uncomfortable. I never joined in the Grayling abuse and I feel the need to stand up for Burgon now. Well not NOW - other things call - but at some point going forward.

I hope the "other things" include common sense.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?

Project Fear.

But we were told that project fear as not to be believed it was just project fear. So I now have to accept project fear was not project fear but project reality but Now have to accept I told myself so Whilst they told me it was project fear.
  • Options
    Is Novara Media an offshoot of RT? WTF?
  • Options

... Not that it's Leavers job to make arguments for Remain.

It is Remainers' job to make a success of Brexit. It was never our project.

• Options
    Irish election: Looking in detail at the seats left to declare, it looks like FG 36, FF 37, SF 37.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033

HYUFD said:
    Not passive, there's always a trade-off even when people abstain. Usually FF backed passively by the left, but during their neoliberal turn, by conservatives (1997-02).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,409

Irish election: Looking in detail at the seats left to declare, it looks like FG 36, FF 37, SF 37.

Looks like a fresh election in the very near future then.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

Not so easy to bully someone who plainly by nature so enjoys a challenge and takes no prisoners, and to whom a bullying manner is second nature.

It is time however that someone put the rational, quietly thought out case for his merits and the overall contribution he has made to Labour as a national party capable of governing well and thoughtfully. Good luck. I am all ears.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

What a bloody stupid idea.

What on earth is the point of it?

Distract the plebs.

When the UK is busying humbling itself to try and get international agreements, it would be nice to pretend that the country is an international leader with a fantastic vision of the future. Big breathtaking projects can help....

BTW, are members of the Tory party still suggesting that Empire Mk.2 will happen once the Commonwealth will come flocking back?

• Options

Should read "It is not Remainers' job to make a success of Brexit. It was never our project."

Apols for the missing word
  • Options

I assume you meant it is not. I agree completely if so. It is why May as PM was a terrible idea.

A couple of decades of Tory Leavers in Downing Street to make a successful of post Brexit Britain would suit me just fine.
  • Options

I assume you meant it is not. I agree completely if so. It is why May as PM was a terrible idea.
    Yes. I have already posted a correction since I cannot edit the original
  • Options

Is Novara Media an offshoot of RT? WTF?

"Novara Media was founded in 2011 by James Butler and Aaron Bastani. It is a trading name of Thousand Hands Ltd, and its office and studio is in south-east London."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novara_Media
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796

If Gove disappears into a hole, never to appear again, he would be doing a big service to mankind. Dishonest and patronising is never an appealing combination.

We'll tumble out into a near No Deal in a few months and will spend the next ten years trying to repair the damage, I think.
  • Options
  • Options

Yes. I have already posted a correction since I cannot edit the original
    Isn't the more boring truth that it it all our jobs to make a success of our country, which by a democratic process has decided to leave the EU? Just as we don't stop doing our bit when the government is not the party we would like.

• Options
    FF43 said:

If Gove disappears into a hole, never to appear again, he would be doing a big service to mankind. Dishonest and patronising is never an appealing combination.

We'll tumble out into a near No Deal in a few months and will spend the next ten years trying to repair the damage, I think.
    I'm glad you think that. I hope Brussels starts to think that too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    The DUP are required to deal with SF under the GFA
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Not so easy to bully someone who plainly by nature so enjoys a challenge and takes no prisoners, and to whom a bullying manner is second nature.

It is time however that someone put the rational, quietly thought out case for his merits and the overall contribution he has made to Labour as a national party capable of governing well and thoughtfully. Good luck. I am all ears.

Burgon Baiting much like hare coursing. Going into the playground and picking on the weakest link not the toughest, not your best moment Mr Kirk.

Have I missed something, the promised review into Islamaphobia in the Conservative Party due to get underway by end of 2019, when did it get underway?

The black swan security report publication delayed until after voting, what did it actually say when published, anything of note?

I also missed death of Neil Innes several weeks back, saddened to learn of it today.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?
    For starters: David Cameron, the Treasury, George Osborne, a leaflet mailed to every house in the country before campaigning began, Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon, Theresa May, the CBI, the Remain campaign and Dominic Grieve.

That's without getting into the fact that Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and more said we would leave the Single Market and take back control. Not that it's Leavers job to make arguments for Remain.

In other words, you should have listened to Project Fear, suckers.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I've reverse ferreted on the seats market. Going to be 37 FF, 37 SF I think
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've reverse ferreted on the seats market. Going to be 37 FF, 37 SF I think

Tiny stakes only can easily get quick STV counting wrong !
  • Options
    FG to get 35.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Who told us repeatedly?

Project Fear.

But we were told that project fear as not to be believed it was just project fear. So I now have to accept project fear was not project fear but project reality but Now have to accept I told myself so Whilst they told me it was project fear.

The Leave campaign lied. We all know that. But we are where we are. We are the country of Fuck Business. The Tories believe they are invincible. The last time I saw such hubris was from Corbyn Labour in the summer and autumn of 2017.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796

nichomar said:

Not by the Gove himself however:

There is a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey that all European nations have access to, regardless of whether they are in or out of the euro or EU.26 After we vote to leave we will remain in this zone. The suggestion that Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and the Ukraine would remain part of this free trade area - and Britain would be on the outside with just Belarus - is as credible as Jean-Claude Juncker joining UKIP.

German car manufacturers...

And the idea that all of them - and 24 other nations - would have as their highest economic priority in the months ahead making it more difficult to sell to Britain - and the belief that they would bend all their diplomatic, political and financial muscle to that sole end - is preposterous. Why would any of them wish to commit an act of profound economic self-harm? And if any of them did, why would the other EU nations let them?

Juncker joined UKIP it seems. The whole speech is worth re-reading for its remarkable dishonesty. And the guy is still around pontificating...
  • Options
    This is for FF.

Dublin SW 1 DEFINITELY 1
    Wicklow 1 Max 1
    Cavan Monaghan 2 Quite sure this is 2
    Longford 1 Could be 2 but likely 1
    Sligo 1 Could be 2 but enough FG transfers for them to nab last place.
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

Nonsense. jury’s need evidence.

Someone accused of plotting mass murder, but scant evidence other than retracted hearsay, jury acquits. Turns out suspect lied, uses freedom to commit mass carnage, you saying the jury got it wrong?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,004
    egg said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

isam said:

Nonsense. jury’s need evidence.

Someone accused of plotting mass murder, but scant evidence other than retracted hearsay, jury acquits. Turns out suspect lied, uses freedom to commit mass carnage, you saying the jury got it wrong?
    Me? I haven’t said a word about the jury
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stop digging.

US is home to addictions. Military Industrial Dictatorship is a habit they can’t say no to, no matter how big the deficit grows.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

nichomar said:

Not by the Gove himself however:

There is a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey that all European nations have access to, regardless of whether they are in or out of the euro or EU.26 After we vote to leave we will remain in this zone. The suggestion that Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and the Ukraine would remain part of this free trade area - and Britain would be on the outside with just Belarus - is as credible as Jean-Claude Juncker joining UKIP.

German car manufacturers...

And the idea that all of them - and 24 other nations - would have as their highest economic priority in the months ahead making it more difficult to sell to Britain - and the belief that they would bend all their diplomatic, political and financial muscle to that sole end - is preposterous. Why would any of them wish to commit an act of profound economic self-harm? And if any of them did, why would the other EU nations let them?

Juncker joined UKIP it seems. The whole speech is worth re-reading for its remarkable dishonesty. And the guy is still around pontificating...
    That's comparing us to Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and the Ukraine. IE we would have a deal, but not be in the Single Market. Which is what the government is still working on. Any "frictions" Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and/or the Ukraine have to deal with would not violate that.

Gove answered Andrew Neil in one word whether we would be in the Single Market or not - do you know which word that was?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/JonTonge/status/1226966943489515520

None of the counts deserve to be elected.
  • Options
    That would be pretty funny, with Bloomberg such a late entry, and a fight between two non democrats.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/JonTonge/status/1226966943489515520

None of the counts deserve to be elected.

Long live FPTP.
  • Options

twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1226949017483071489

Amazing what spending $100 millions on advertising can do....

I know he has said he will do whatever it takes to get rid of Trump, but will he really fund Bernie if he doesn't get the nomination and Sanders does? And I presume Bernie won't want to be seen to take a BILLLLLLIONNNNNNAIRES money.
    Democrats not taking it today but probably benefitting from it. Damn fine ads, trump supporters should be concerned.
  • Options
    The DUP have no other options. Time will tell if FF can keep up their attitude though.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

I really dislike the overuse of the term bullying, and while I certainly do not go down the route of saying prominent or powerful people cannot be subjected to bullying, I do think it in most cases pretty unreasonable to suggest that a prominent political figure being mocked for putting forth an idea that many think is mockable is akin to bullying. Being abusive would be crossing a line, but if a political figure does something mockable why should they not be mocked, so long as it is not abusive?

I don't think there's anything wrong with being reflective and not wanting to pile on an individual in a mean way, but Burgon is politically attacked for the things he says and does, not because of who he is, and careful judgement though it can be as to whether a bullying line has been crossed, there is such a thing as over shooting in the other direction. Should we not mock Trump for example?
This discussion has been closed.