Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Salmond’s blueprint launch: a very good week for No

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Salmond’s blueprint launch: a very good week for No

One simple and obvious truth: in order to win a referendum, you need to win the support of more than half the people casting a vote.  This may be elementary politics it was something that the proponents of AV nonetheless failed to grasp, or at least, failed to act on (somewhat ironically, given the nature of their cause).  A second truth about referendums:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    David's thinking too hard. If their barely-related policies are popular, the side proposing them will get more votes.

AV's problem, apart from being aimed at a liberal, cosmopolitan transvestite demographic that turned out to be smaller than they'd hoped, was that they didn't have any coherent selling point at all. They tried fairness and the "can you hear us" thing but failed to establish that AV would provide either.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Edmund - replied to you on the previous thread.

Not a very satisfactory one though.
  • Options
    David,

I really appreciate your reference to the Australian Republic referendum. It's highly relevant and is rarely talked about. I was there at the time, and while it seemed crazy from afar that a proposition that had 60+% support in the electorate then (and even now) lost a referendum, it nevertheless lost because all the No side had to do was split the Yes vote into "Republic at all costs" and "Not this version of a Republic". They did that by convincing enough of the voters that the specific model being proposed (President elected by parliament rather than directly) was wrong. They also hinted to voters that they'd maybe have another chance to vote on the other model later (a complete lie, but it didn't matter) if they rejected this one.

Whilst at first the SNP didn't fall into the same trap that the Republican movement did of having too specific a model in the referendum question, the white paper has inevitably moved the debate onto the same terms. Voters will now have a whole model of independence to analyse and if they don't like one bit of it - EU, currency or immigration - they'll vote no. Game over.

Relatedly, I read somewhere that referendums in Australia have never won without the backing of both major parties. This makes a lot of sense - given the choice between the status quo and the unknown, most people always chose the status quo. All it takes is one major side in the debate to propose that one choice is the unknown, and the vote is set.

Turning back to Scotland, I remember that when the referendum question was formulated, nationalist websites were trumpeting it as a win for Salmond over Cameron, in that they never wanted 'Devo Max' on the table anyway. This will in hindsight be seen as the biggest mistake Salmond made. If Devo Max (whatever that is) had been in the mix, it would almost certainly win by default. Much like the Australian Republicans, by picking a less popular, but more technically pure, single choice they've stopped voters from picking what they could easily win.

The irony is, of course, that with currency unions, dual passports and common travel areas, what the nationalists are proposing for independence might as well be Devo Max. But if they lose, as I believe they will, Devo Max is not on the table, and it'll be many years before the question is revisited.

Martin
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

David's thinking too hard. If their barely-related policies are popular, the side proposing them will get more votes.

AV's problem, apart from being aimed at a liberal, cosmopolitan transvestite demographic that turned out to be smaller than they'd hoped, was that they didn't have any coherent selling point at all. They tried fairness and the "can you hear us" thing but failed to establish that AV would provide either.

Mr Tokyo, do you have any suggestions as to why I can't get your excellent widget to work on Firefox 25? I've Greasemonkey installed, dragged the PB Enhanced linky onto my toolbar but it won't install.
  • Options
    tim said:

Read this

http://hopisen.com/2013/thousands-will-certainly-die/

I can't believe even Cameron and Osborne wil he stupid enough to hit the most effective bit of the programme

It may have been the most effective in the past, but that was the past.

Elsewhere online, I've seen it claimed that the insulation programme had passed the point of diminishing returns. Between this scheme, and its predecessors, most of the properties willing to accept government help that are easy to insulate have been insulated.

The ones that are left fall mostly into two categories, On the one hand, some property owners flatly refuse government help, either because they don't like being reliant on handouts, or because they don't want the disruption.

On the other hand, a lot of modern housing has thin walls, apparently too thin for cavity insulation to do any good. To get the desired energy efficiency savings, they'd basically have to rebuild the wall thicker, which is massively disruptive, and expensive.

Is there anyone here in the building trade who can confirm this?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Herders

I hope you bought in a plentiful supply of tin hats and have an expeditious route to multiple bunkers.

Incoming ....
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    Fox News ‏@FoxNews

Rescuers desperately race to free those trapped in #Glasgow pub following police helicopter crash http://fxn.ws/1b25TD3

Thoughts go out to the family and friends of those caught up in the Clutha pub tragedy.

Scottish labour MP Jim Murphy was passing in his car at the time and got out to assist with all the other bystanders who formed a human chain helping those trying to get out. So a huge thank you to him and the Glasgow public who were so quick to help.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Mick_Pork said:

Fox News ‏@FoxNews

Rescuers desperately race to free those trapped in #Glasgow pub following police helicopter crash http://fxn.ws/1b25TD3

Thoughts go out to the family and friends of those caught up in the Clutha pub tragedy.

Scottish labour MP Jim Murphy was passing in his car at the time and got out to assist with all the other bystanders who formed a human chain helping those trying to get out. So a huge thank you to him and the Glasgow public who were so quick to help.

+1
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DH,

I had much the same thoughts. The prospectus seemed to confuse the principles of an independent govt with the SNP manifesto for government.

Take childcare, the issue is not that the Scottish government would increase subsidies for this, but rather that it would control it. A Scots govt could just as easily abolish the subsidy, but it would be a decision for Holyrood not Westminster.

If Scotland were to become independent then there would be quite a big shake up and realignment of the Scottish parties. Each would have its own manifesto for govt, and more than likely it would be a coalition rather than majority govt.

Quite apart from that, 670 pages is far too long, if it is to be read widely it needed to be a twentieth the size. Concise documents like the US constitution outlining principles are much better founding documents.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Fox News ‏@FoxNews

+1+2

Sounds like both those on the spot and the emergency services responded quickly and well.
  • Options
    On a day of grim news - some better news from Suffolk:

Suffolk: MP Tim Yeo ‘considering his position’ after losing re-selection vote for next general election

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/suffolk_mp_tim_yeo_considering_his_position_after_losing_re_selection_vote_for_next_general_election_1_3059089
  • Options
    edited November 2013

tim said:

Read this

http://hopisen.com/2013/thousands-will-certainly-die/

I can't believe even Cameron and Osborne wil he stupid enough to hit the most effective bit of the programme

It may have been the most effective in the past, but that was the past.

Elsewhere online, I've seen it claimed that the insulation programme had passed the point of diminishing returns. Between this scheme, and its predecessors, most of the properties willing to accept government help that are easy to insulate have been insulated.

The ones that are left fall mostly into two categories, On the one hand, some property owners flatly refuse government help, either because they don't like being reliant on handouts, or because they don't want the disruption.

On the other hand, a lot of modern housing has thin walls, apparently too thin for cavity insulation to do any good. To get the desired energy efficiency savings, they'd basically have to rebuild the wall thicker, which is massively disruptive, and expensive.

Is there anyone here in the building trade who can confirm this?
    IANAE, but:

All houses built after a certain date (1960s or earlier?) have to have cavity walls, and later this was changed so cavities have to be pre-insulated. Except in Cambourne houses, it seems, although that is a different matter ... (*)

Many older houses have single skin walls, or were built with rather inefficient filled-cavity (where the insulation was already present, but of a low-grade type).

To insulate single skin walls, you have to add a layer of insulation to either the interior or exterior of the wall. Since the layer can be quite thick and the process disruptive, mostly it is done on the exterior. This layer is then rendered or cladded to cover it up.

Since it effects the look of the house dramatically, it is not necessarily possible or popular.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Insulation/Wall-insulation

One way of insulating is to blow insulation into the cavity; to do this, they will drill holes in the exterior wall and blow the fibres in; sometimes these are wool-based or a poly foam. There were problems with early forms of blown insulation a couple of decades ago; over time the fibres or foam would drop with gravity until they form a solid mass at the bottom, allowing damp through and meaning there was no insulation above. I assume those problems are now fixed.

Damp can also be a problem with snot on the cavity wall ties - remnants of mortar. In a cavity wall, moisture will creep along the tie, hit the snot, and then be dried by air currents within the cavity. If a cavity is filled, then the moisture *may* be bale to pass through. As ever, blown insulation is a useful tool, but one that should only be applied when it is suitable, and I'm slightly concerned the companies involved may be doing houses that are unsuitable, causing problems in the future,

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/

I apologise if this has bored anyone. Blame a childhood spent around building and demo sites...

(*) IMHO, all new houses should be tested for heat loss using an infrared camera with the heating full on before it was passed. This should be done by an independent body. Although this may be difficult in summer ...
  • Options

Quite apart from that, 670 pages is far too long, if it is to be read widely it needed to be a twentieth the size. Concise documents like the US constitution outlining principles are much better founding documents.

I'm not sure it's designed to be read. It's a prop so whenever someone says "What about xyz?" the SNP say "we covered that on pages 47-53 of Scotlands Future, it's not my fault you haven't read it." And the undecided, who haven't read it either nod and think "well, that told them then."

The SNP's "logical" case is in tatters (EU, NATO, Sterling zone) - but that's not the ground they are fighting on - theirs is the emotive case "Scotland's people are best placed to decide Scotland's future" - to which the Unionists have no effective answer.

I hope " logic"wins the day. I fear it may not.
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect David Herdson to understand the popularity of childcare. He is not the target audience.

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

surbiton said:

"Independent GAIN from SNP on the fourth count on a swing of 3% from Ind to SNP"

Could someone please explain to me the mathematics of the above ? If it is a GAIN then relatively the Independent must have done better than the SNP. Unless it was a HOLD.

They have multi-member wards in Scotland. In the main election, the SNP got 1 seat and the Independents got 2. It was the SNP seat which became vacant. In the by-election, the Independent vote was still the biggest, despite going down a bit.
    Indeed. Since the inception of PR for Scottish local government elections it has often been wildly misleading with these "Gain" headlines. In a multi-member ward, the 2012 result might have been, say:

Lab 2 councillors
    SNP 1 councillor
    LD 1 councillor

... with the Labour 1st preference votes being 4 times the size of the Lib Dem 1st preference votes.

Let's say the Lib Dem councillor dies. In the by-election the Labour vote declines by 20 points, while the Lib Dem vote remains steady, but despite a 10 point swing from Labour TO the Lib Dems (ie. a very good result for the Lib Dems), the local newspaper the next day headlines with: "Labour Gain from the Lib Dems". That is just silly, because in reality it was a panic, wafer-thin Hold for the Labour Party.

The silver lining is that with all these pseudo "Gains" for SLab in local by-elections, it increases their complacency levels, which were already sky-high.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Suffolk: MP Tim Yeo ‘considering his position’ after losing re-selection vote for next general election

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/suffolk_mp_tim_yeo_considering_his_position_after_losing_re_selection_vote_for_next_general_election_1_3059089

What a shame - huge loss.

Not.
  • Options
    Childcare may or may not be popular with some voters, but surely the issue is the scope for Scottish decision making on the issue.

If Scots want to spend on childcare, rather than on restructuring and marketing the Clydeside shipbuilders, or tax cuts for the low paid, that would be a decision for Holyrood.

Would the Scottish case for independence fall apart if the Westminster parliament paid for free childcare across the entire UK. Of course not! So why confuse the SNP manifesto with the case for independence?

I wouldn't expect David Herdson to understand the popularity of childcare. He is not the target audience.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Not.
    I'm minded to agree. Does anyone think Yeo's done a good job in his thirty years as an MP?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2013

TGOHF said:

Not.
    I'm minded to agree. Does anyone think Yeo's done a good job in his thirty years as an MP?
    Yes very much so.

Not me, but Tim Yeo thinks (or even knows) so.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

The post-season race review is up:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/2013-season-review-racing.html

I suspect the betting review will be more interesting, as it was a bit of a weird year in that regard.
  • Options
    There's quite a powerful interview with Jim Murphy MP on Breakfast News from the Cluthu.

They will be very lucky if there are no fatalities. I hope they are very, very, lucky.
  • Options

JackW said:

Herders

I hope you bought in a plentiful supply of tin hats and have an expeditious route to multiple bunkers.

Incoming ....

It's true that I'm not anticipating a universally favourable response to the analysis.

Oh, and happy St Andrew's Day.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited November 2013

There's quite a powerful interview with Jim Murphy MP on Breakfast News from the Cluthu.

They will be very lucky if there are no fatalities. I hope they are very, very, lucky.

Apologies and a bit inappropriate but when I quickly read your post I saw

Cthulu not Cluthu and thought WTF!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

DH,

I had much the same thoughts. The prospectus seemed to confuse the principles of an independent govt with the SNP manifesto for government.

Take childcare, the issue is not that the Scottish government would increase subsidies for this, but rather that it would control it. A Scots govt could just as easily abolish the subsidy, but it would be a decision for Holyrood not Westminster.

If Scotland were to become independent then there would be quite a big shake up and realignment of the Scottish parties. Each would have its own manifesto for govt, and more than likely it would be a coalition rather than majority govt.

It was an SNP manifesto and given it is 670 pages more than the unionists have managed it has gone down very well. Unionists of course decry it without having read it.
    This from Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph tells you what really happens in Scotland, the bewilderment and amazed look on Carmichaels face as he begged teh presenter to help him was unbelievable.

“It was way after the watershed but there was still something indecent about the way Scottish Television broadcast coverage of a man being eaten alive on Wednesday night. It was supposed to be a debate, between the SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon and Alistair Carmichael, the Scotland Secretary.

Instead, viewers saw a genteel Liberal Democrat being disembowelled by a ferocious and merciless nationalist. She seemed to quite enjoy it. This gruesome spectacle was only beamed into Scottish households – a shame, because David Cameron really ought to have seen it. It would have shown just how much trouble the Union is in.

When it was Sturgeon’s turn to cross-examine the Secretary of State, it was as if her political career had been a preparation for that one, sadistic moment. Carmichael looked stunned, as if he’d expected a fireside chat and found himself in a boxing ring.

Three times, he pleaded for the debate chairman to intervene and save him from Sturgeon’s blows. He was shown no mercy. It was a pitiful spectacle – and yet Carmichael’s bewildered, slapped face is the one that Cameron’s Government is presenting to Scots as the face of the Union.”
  • Options

He certainly has zero knowledge on the independence debate and what is happening. Totally out of his depth today. Nearly as clueless as Carmichael was the other night.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

TGOHF said:

Not.
    Yes. He always made a reasonable impression when I heard him in Parliament - fairly loyal Tory but willing to think for himself on environment issues, and never OTT. His opponents seem to be mostly in the anti-global warming camp, which I didn't think you were - what do you have against him?

Can't reply to your reply BTW, just off to see a sick relative in st Ives, which turns out to be over 5 hours away. We need an HS3!

• Options

Childcare may or may not be popular with some voters, but surely the issue is the scope for Scottish decision making on the issue.

If Scots want to spend on childcare, rather than on restructuring and marketing the Clydeside shipbuilders, or tax cuts for the low paid, that would be a decision for Holyrood.

Would the Scottish case for independence fall apart if the Westminster parliament paid for free childcare across the entire UK. Of course not! So why confuse the SNP manifesto with the case for independence?

Another one who does not get it , the point of the childcare was the aspiration to make the country a better place, unlike the current country that is run by London for London. The chance of them allowing Scotland to spend its own money is laughable. What we want is a better , fairer country and we will never have that as long as we are shackled to London.
  • Options

looks like at least 3 dead and possibly more to come
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    A sad morning following on from the tragedy in Glasgow last night. Sky News now reporting 6 fatalities at least. Clearly the police helicopter pilot behaved heroically because the entire surrounding area has flats and had he hit them, the death toll would have been horrific.

Jim Murphy is a political opponent but this morning I have to say I admire him hugely, indeed going as far as to call him a hero. Along with many ordinary Glaswegians who witnessed the crash, he ran towards the Clutha Vaults and knowing there could be an explosion, went into the partially collapsed building as far as he could get in and helped others pull survivors out and assist them until the emergency services took over. When Jim was interviewed, he was clearly in a state of shock. He would almost certainly have known people in the bar.

Glasgow has its problems but this morning I am happy to confirm my pride at being a Glaswegian by birth and pay tribute to the ordinary men and women who rose to the challenge last night and put the rescue of others before their own safety.

On thread, clearly the commentariat considered the White Paper launch a disaster for the SNP and their chums in the YES camp. I am not so sure ordinary Scots see it like that. Salmond bats away the Spanish PM as talking nonsense. We know that is absurd. I am far from certain many of my fellow Scots will think that. Eck is going to fight the Referendum on a campaign of heart-strings and domestic bribes. He is also posturing that the No camp contains anti-Scots. Sadly too many will agree with him. The subtext is becoming Scotland = nice, England = nasty. That will play to far too many Scots. I still believe he can win though hope he doesn't.
  • Options
    Martin said:

David,

I really appreciate your reference to the Australian Republic referendum. It's highly relevant and is rarely talked about. I was there at the time, and while it seemed crazy from afar that a proposition that had 60+% support in the electorate then (and even now) lost a referendum, it nevertheless lost because all the No side had to do was split the Yes vote into "Republic at all costs" and "Not this version of a Republic". They did that by convincing enough of the voters that the specific model being proposed (President elected by parliament rather than directly) was wrong. They also hinted to voters that they'd maybe have another chance to vote on the other model later (a complete lie, but it didn't matter) if they rejected this one.

Whilst at first the SNP didn't fall into the same trap that the Republican movement did of having too specific a model in the referendum question, the white paper has inevitably moved the debate onto the same terms. Voters will now have a whole model of independence to analyse and if they don't like one bit of it - EU, currency or immigration - they'll vote no. Game over.

Relatedly, I read somewhere that referendums in Australia have never won without the backing of both major parties. This makes a lot of sense - given the choice between the status quo and the unknown, most people always chose the status quo. All it takes is one major side in the debate to propose that one choice is the unknown, and the vote is set.

Turning back to Scotland, I remember that when the referendum question was formulated, nationalist websites were trumpeting it as a win for Salmond over Cameron, in that they never wanted 'Devo Max' on the table anyway. This will in hindsight be seen as the biggest mistake Salmond made. If Devo Max (whatever that is) had been in the mix, it would almost certainly win by default. Much like the Australian Republicans, by picking a less popular, but more technically pure, single choice they've stopped voters from picking what they could easily win.

The irony is, of course, that with currency unions, dual passports and common travel areas, what the nationalists are proposing for independence might as well be Devo Max. But if they lose, as I believe they will, Devo Max is not on the table, and it'll be many years before the question is revisited.

Martin

Martin, many thanks for your comment and welcome to the site.

That's an interesting point about Australian referendums: that they fail if only one party is in favour. Presumably, in what's close to a two-party system, what's happening is that the doubts sown by the anti's creates more crossovers from the pro-government than are attracted the other way. With only one major and one minor party in favour in Scotland, and one major and two medium ones opposed, that is not a happy precedent for the nationalists.

I also agree about your final point. If No wins, and particularly if it's a fairly comfortable win - into double figures, for example - not only will it be 15-20 years before independence is revisited as an option but it'll be at least a decade before any alternative to the status quo is considered.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

TGOHF said:

Not.
    Yes. He always made a reasonable impression when I heard him in Parliament - fairly loyal Tory but willing to think for himself on environment issues, and never OTT. His opponents seem to be mostly in the anti-global warming camp, which I didn't think you were - what do you have against him?

Can't reply to your reply BTW, just off to see a sick relative in st Ives, which turns out to be over 5 hours away. We need an HS3!

in recent years a propensity towards personal enrichment (of a financial type) to a degree that calls into question independence and integrity.
  • Options
    Martin said:

If the referendum is lost, Westminster will certainly offer devo max in order to assuage Scots voters who will, of course, continue to be British voters. The real irony is that this referendum has simply delayed devo max for a few years.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, thanks for that summary of the helicopter situation.

Sounds like Murphy did indeed perform heroically.
  • Options
    God bless Glasgow and our Scottish brothers and sisters this morning. As ever in these situations you just marvel that so many people's instinct was to run towards potential danger in order to help others.

It's also amazing to this non-engineer/technician that these things do not happen more often.
  • Options

If No wins, and particularly if it's a fairly comfortable win - into double figures, for example - not only will it be 15-20 years before independence is revisited as an option but it'll be at least a decade before any alternative to the status quo is considered.

No it won't. Ask yourself in whose interest it might be to delay devo max. Remember that if the referendum is lost, then Scots voters remain British voters so each party will still need to court them, including Conservatives who, let us remember, used to be able to depend on at least two dozen MPs from Scotland.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Another one who does not get it , the point of the childcare was the aspiration to make the country a better place, unlike the current country that is run by London for London. The chance of them allowing Scotland to spend its own money is laughable. What we want is a better , fairer country and we will never have that as long as we are shackled to London.
    If That's really the case why not just do it now? They have the powers to do so.

• Options

If No wins, and particularly if it's a fairly comfortable win - into double figures, for example - not only will it be 15-20 years before independence is revisited as an option but it'll be at least a decade before any alternative to the status quo is considered.

No it won't. Ask yourself in whose interest it might be to delay devo max. Remember that if the referendum is lost, then Scots voters remain British voters so each party will still need to court them, including Conservatives who, let us remember, used to be able to depend on at least two dozen MPs from Scotland.
    I don't hear much clamouring for electoral reform now.

If Yes lose in Scotland, that'll be that for the time being just as it was in 1979 even though Yes actually won the vote. At the following general election, the SNP took a thumping and devolution went onto the backburner for a decade. If No wins, I'd expect constitutional fatigue to set in should people start looking for an alternative solution. The public, and other political parties, might just argue that making more effective use of the powers Holyrood already has should be the Scottish government's priority.
  • Options

God bless Glasgow and our Scottish brothers and sisters this morning. As ever in these situations you just marvel that so many people's instinct was to run towards potential danger in order to help others.

I fully agree with that. Huge credit to Jim Murphy and all the others who went to assist in highly dangerous circumstances.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He certainly has zero knowledge on the independence debate and what is happening. Totally out of his depth today. Nearly as clueless as Carmichael was the other night.
    Go on then - forensically pick your way through the thread and say why.

Or you could just stick to playing the man. Far easier.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

TGOHF said:

Not.

My impression - and my view is not particularly negative - is that Yeo has a few too many business interests in an area where he has parliamentary interests.

This might just be media reporting, though. On my saints<->sinners MP line, he's nearer the sinners than the saints.

He's also been in parliament for a few decades, a minister or shadow minister for many, and I cannot really remember anything he has done aside from have an affair. I look at his track record, and it seems very uninspiring.

As for green issues, I would probably class myself as a pragmatic cynical sceptic believer: there is a problem, some people are exaggerating the scale of the problem, some of the proposed solutions are barmy, people are making a great deal of money from it, and yet we should try to do what we realistically can. Which probably makes me hated by everyone.

Hence I don't mind my local large-scale windfarm, but actively campaign against ones in wilderness areas. I'm a Not-In-Somebody-Else's-Backyard. (NISEB).

HS3 (nominally a west country line) will probably be speed and capacity increases to the existing GWML. Brunel's vision might make large-scale upgrades possible. That, and the fact there are other under-utilised routes. The upcoming electrification should make a difference to both speed and capacity.

A big problem is the sea wall between Dawlish and Teignmouth, which is under an ever-present threat from the sea.

Edit: oh, and best wishes for your relative. And try to enjoy St Ives, it's a lovely town.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited November 2013
    Should No win, the SNP will still be the dominant force in Scottish politics. Thus, if Devomax is not forthcoming there'll be another referendum within five years and more than likely a resounding and deserved Yes vote, on the basis that Westminster really doesn't want to give the Scots what they want. So you can pretty much count on Devomax, probably along the lines of what the Basques (but not the Catalans) have in Spain. That will also lead to major changes in the rest of the UK.

Thus, whatever happens next September, the way this country is governed is about to get very different. That is very exciting.
  • Options
    Quote: "That said, there may well be a consolation prize. The White Paper launch felt less like a prospectus for independence and more like… " a pitch for devo max
  • Options
    saddened said:

If That's really the case why not just do it now? They have the powers to do so.

Because they are on fixed pocket money from London , so would need to cut other things and the resulting benefits of extra tax, NI etc would go to London. Hence the need for independence so that they can use our money for what we want rather than it being used on what London wants , ie illegal wars , trident , etc
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Easy with Carmichael, he had nothing to say , he could not give any assurance of what policies the unionists would have if we vote NO, he was given several points to give his position , one being child poverty , and failed to be able to give any answer. Devoid of policies.
  • Options
    The referendum is now becoming another Jacobite rebellion. Some big victories early on but an inevitable final defeat (Culloden) looming. A few comments to add.

The most surprising and damaging events were when the school kid and university dummy elections showed a strong No vote.

The lack of support from the rest of Europe such as Spain has left the SNP appearing isolated.

The business community has stayed quiet but is clearly against the proposal which adds to the worries for local people. How many factories will move south if they vote Yes.

Cameron has played the election very well and kept the southern Tories under control.

The Commonwealth Games is a double edged sword for the SNP. It is likely to go well and take the focus away from the referendum debate. While the Scots want to win medals, even more they want to show they are good hosts. This means a big welcome for the many English visitors.

• Options

malcolmg said:

We both know he is not going to counter your argument. It's much easier to play the you're not Scottish so have no clue card. It's weak and pathetic but it's what he'll do.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, whatever the result, another referendum within 5 years would be ridiculous. When the Scottish people decide, their decision is binding for decades. You can't keep asking people questions of fundamental importance until they give you the 'right' answer.
  • Options

The referendum is now becoming another Jacobite rebellion. Some big victories early on but an inevitable final defeat (Culloden) looming. A few comments to add.

The most surprising and damaging events were when the school kid and university dummy elections showed a strong No vote.

The lack of support from the rest of Europe such as Spain has left the SNP appearing isolated.

The business community has stayed quiet but is clearly against the proposal which adds to the worries for local people. How many factories will move south if they vote Yes.

Cameron has played the election very well and kept the southern Tories under control.

The Commonwealth Games is a double edged sword for the SNP. It is likely to go well and take the focus away from the referendum debate. While the Scots want to win medals, even more they want to show they are good hosts. This means a big welcome for the many English visitors.

Assume you are only counting the couple where NO one and ignoring the many more where YES won then

One spanish turnip with internal problems saying we need to negotiate , hardly news

There have been some business people come out for Yes , very few for NO and most being sensible and minding their own business

Cameron is hiding so he can say it was that dumpling Darling that lost the union

Last one is bollocks , Scots always welcome English people and the games will not distract at all from the referendum which is not against the English, it is for Scotland to run its own affairs.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    malcolmg said:

saddened said:

Because they are on fixed pocket money from London , so would need to cut other things and the resulting benefits of extra tax, NI etc would go to London. Hence the need for independence so that they can use our money for what we want rather than it being used on what London wants , ie illegal wars , trident , etc

malcolm

Relieved and pleased to see you alive and kicking this morning.

But wouldn't the SNP be better spending Trident savings on a new air traffic control system rather than childcare for all?

• Options
    Yeo is the third sitting MP to lose the automatic re-adoption vote by the association executive in this parliament. The other 2 are Crispin Blunt (won the membership vote) and Ann McIntosh (membership vote in January)
  • Options

Mr. Observer, whatever the result, another referendum within 5 years would be ridiculous. When the Scottish people decide, their decision is binding for decades. You can't keep asking people questions of fundamental importance until they give you the 'right' answer.

MD , he is correct , you may not like it but it is not going away , best hope for a clean YES win this time as it will not be going away and it is only a case of when it happens.
  • Options
    Mr. G, I disagree with you absolutely. If the people vote to retain the status quo then you should accept that, instead of suggesting that you'll simply keep asking them until they give you the answer they want.

It's your party's job to persuade the Scottish people your veiw is correct, not to impose that view on them by refusing to accept their decision. I fear you may have picked up a bad habit from the EU.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    If the Better Together team have any sense, they'll be paying for advice from No2AV - the parallels are clear and it does seem to me that the white paper has only increased the "danger factor" about going for independence. Hard to see where the coalition for independence will come from as I don't think there's a single prominent figure in Cons, Lab or Lib breaking ranks? The only ones likely to do so are Tories trying to get rid of a region who don't vote for them which won't be effective the same way.

Thoughts indeed to the people of Glasgow. Let's not single out Jim Murphy; sounds like there were many who did the right thing in a crisis and well done to them.

Finally on Yeo, clearly issues over his interests and lack of recent consitutency work, but his position on the environment is closer to the 2010 manifesto than most Tories. The Turnip Taliban of Suffolk won't lose this seat, but it's yet another example of the Tories caring more about purity than swing voters and we know how that will always turn out.

• Options
    saddened said:

It's much easier to play the you're not Scottish so have no clue card. It's weak and pathetic but it's what he'll do.

I'm quite happy to state definitively that you not having a 'clue card' (whatever that is) has absolutely nothing to with your non-Scottishness.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Time for the roaming band of long-listed Tory candidates to scout out South Suffolk?
  • Options
    Greenwich and Woolwich Labour selection is today: Angela Cornforth, Len Duvall, Annie Keys, Kathy Peach, Matt Pennycook or David Prescott
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

We both know he is not going to counter your argument. It's much easier to play the you're not Scottish so have no clue card. It's weak and pathetic but it's what he'll do.

Saddo , what argument is that

He will need to get people who did not vote SNP to vote for independence, no shit Sherlock - there are many people outside SNP who either support independence or are undecided

Better Together - so far they have little to say other than negativity of how poor and stupid Scottish people are and have few people on the ground. Reality is YES meetings are well attended , lots of people on the ground , example last week outside Waverly station , one person from BT handing out leaflets , fifteen from YES

The whole childcare policy shows an aspiration to improve the country , compare that with unionists bedroom tax and using it to evict poor and disabled from their homes. Blaming the poor for all the ills of the country is really going down well.

Can either you or David give me any policy from BT that will improve life for Scottish people after a NO vote , clue new Trident missiles do not count as a benefit.
  • Options

The pro-EU governments do regularly. At least until they get the pro-EU answer.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

malcolmg said:

saddened said:

malcolm

Relieved and pleased to see you alive and kicking this morning.

But wouldn't the SNP be better spending Trident savings on a new air traffic control system rather than childcare for all?

Avery , that is in poor taste , at least 6 dead and not for making jokes about old chap.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

The Turnip Taliban of Suffolk won't lose this seat, but it's yet another example of the Tories caring more about purity

Unlike the Turnip Taliban of Reigate who overwhelmingly re-selected the gay Crispin Blunt?

• Options
    Malcolm, love the passion of the committed SNP.

The FSB found 75% of SME businessmen will vote No. I have not met one who will actually vote Yes or would admit to it.

As for my home town.

"The Yes Scotland campaign has been dealt a blow after thousands of schoolchildren voted no in a mock referendum exactly one year before the official vote.

In total, 11,653 secondary school pupils in Aberdeenshire took part in the vote on Wednesday. A total of 8718 voted against an independent Scotland with 2847 voting for independence, with a turnout of 79.9%.

The results mean that 75.3% of school children do not support the notion of independence. Only Carronhill School in Stonehaven, voted in favour of independence by eight votes to five."

• Options
    edited November 2013
    tpfkar said:

If the Better Together team have any sense, they'll be paying for advice from No2AV - the parallels are clear and it does seem to me that the white paper has only increased the "danger factor" about going for independence. Hard to see where the coalition for independence will come from as I don't think there's a single prominent figure in Cons, Lab or Lib breaking ranks? The only ones likely to do so are Tories trying to get rid of a region who don't vote for them which won't be effective the same way.

Thoughts indeed to the people of Glasgow. Let's not single out Jim Murphy; sounds like there were many who did the right thing in a crisis and well done to them.

Finally on Yeo, clearly issues over his interests and lack of recent consitutency work, but his position on the environment is closer to the 2010 manifesto than most Tories. The Turnip Taliban of Suffolk won't lose this seat, but it's yet another example of the Tories caring more about purity than swing voters and we know how that will always turn out.

The unionists will not break cover till they are sure the answer is YES, they need to protect their jobs in case it is NO. It will be from Labour when they break cover though, as there are no Tories.

Mind you would not be surprised if Michael Moore was a YES man
  • Options

If there is a Devomax settlement then that does put the issue to bed. If there isn't, then the Scots have every right to look again at their vote. They will have a much better idea of where things stand and so will be much better placed to make a fully informed decision. However, it is almost certain that following a No vote there will be a Devomax deal, so it will not be an issue except on the fringes. And with Devomax, we will get a new framework for the whole of the UK. So I have two reason for hoping for a NO: first, I am a left of centre unionist who believes in overcoming divisions not creating them; and, second, I think that a No vote could kick-start a very positive constitutional process for all of us. However, I say that from an English perspective. If I were in Scotland I might think very differently!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Easy with Carmichael, he had nothing to say , he could not give any assurance of what policies the unionists would have if we vote NO, he was given several points to give his position , one being child poverty , and failed to be able to give any answer. Devoid of policies.
    What's clear is that Carmichael had got YES rattled.

The way the SNP try to portray anyone who's against the as being "UN - Scottish" shows how they feel threatened.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited November 2013

The pro-EU governments do regularly. At least until they get the pro-EU answer.
    I think that would be legit if you needed a majority in every individual town in Scotland for independence. If they mostly say yes but one or two say no you'd see what you could do to address their concerns then ask again. Otherwise you can never make a change because nothing would pass everywhere at once, even if it was widely supported.

I can't see it happening for Scotland, although if in this case if there was a "No for now but ask us again in 10 years after we see what happens with the Euro and British EU membership and stuff" I think that would be the sensible one for them to vote for.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Apologies and a bit inappropriate but when I quickly read your post I saw

Cthulu not Cluthu and thought WTF!
    That was my first reaction when I saw the name. HP Lovecraft would be WTF.
  • Options
    South Suffolk has historically been a bastion of non-conformism in general and congregationalism in particular. Tim Yeo's extra-marital affairs, the odd expenses claim (Tim Yeo bought the pink laptop) and the lobbying allegations will not have helped him.
  • Options
    On topic, I'm surprised that no one has pointed out before now that the Scottish Independence White Paper was supposedly a Scottish government document, but it makes policy commitments which properly belong in the realm of party politics. Scotland is not yet a one party state.
  • Options

The FSB found 75% of SME businessmen will vote No. I have not met one who will actually vote Yes or would admit to it.

As for my home town.

"The Yes Scotland campaign has been dealt a blow after thousands of schoolchildren voted no in a mock referendum exactly one year before the official vote.

In total, 11,653 secondary school pupils in Aberdeenshire took part in the vote on Wednesday. A total of 8718 voted against an independent Scotland with 2847 voting for independence, with a turnout of 79.9%.

The results mean that 75.3% of school children do not support the notion of independence. Only Carronhill School in Stonehaven, voted in favour of independence by eight votes to five."

Yes and most of them being children will not have a vote, strange that Aberdeenshire should choose to ask S1-S6 to vote on it. In all other ones seen to date , ie university debates , surprisingly YES has won comfortably.
    Strange also that Aberdeenshire have not shown any breakdown by age range, would be interesting.
    On business I am sceptical of any anecdotal evidence, but would expect that business would just get on with running their businesses.
    Who knows in the long run what will be best for business, however it is for ordinary people to decide and I am sure few of them will be swayed by what way business is voting. Obviously businesses will always be wary of change and uncertainty but as quite a few have said it could be a great opportunity for them.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    What are people understanding by Devo Max - everything devolved except monetary policy, defence, foreign affairs? I am not sure this is likely or necessarily desirable, as there would be need for common frameworks on a range of issues still. The Devo Plus option may work - essentially devolving the percentage of taxation powers to cover the percentage of issues a government has responsibility for. So if Holyrood controls 75% of spending in Scotland they raise 75% of income.

This is an interesting debate and it seems a shame when particular posters resort to swearing to make their point. One could suggest it masks a weakness of argument over a strength.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

On topic, I'm surprised that no one has pointed out before now that the Scottish Independence White Paper was supposedly a Scottish government document, but it makes policy commitments which properly belong in the realm of party politics. Scotland is not yet a one party state.

It was very well quoted that it was what the current SNP government would do if re-elected. It would have been hard and very strange for them to have promoted a labour or Tory policy , if such a thing could be found.
    Where are the corresponding arguments from the Better Together unionists. So far we have not seen one policy from them they keep saying there will be more powers, which is a pretty pathetic statement.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I do make that point (obliquely, admittedly), in the thread leader:

"The reason put forward [for the focus on childcare in the launch event] is that people care about bread-and-butter issues like health and education (and childcare). Indeed they do but Holyrood already has substantial powers in these areas. Debates over policy in these areas is the stuff of general elections, not referendums."
  • Options

saddened said:

It's much easier to play the you're not Scottish so have no clue card. It's weak and pathetic but it's what he'll do.

I'm quite happy to state definitively that you not having a 'clue card' (whatever that is) has absolutely nothing to with your non-Scottishness.
    Good Point, apart from the fact I was born in Falkirk. Yes that Falkirk.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The way the SNP try to portray anyone who's against the as being "UN - Scottish" shows how they feel threatened.

Mike, You can do better than that, Carmichael has been promoted beyond his level of incompetence. He has been blustering for weeks when in tame interviews. When he came up against a real opponent he was found wanting , no policies , no idea of his brief and unable to support his position.
    Whilst it was not pleasant to watch it was exactly what he deserved , given he campaigned for SoS to be scrapped and then grabs the job and starts rubbishing Scotland at every opportunity. Hoist with his own petard

I can only hope he continues to rattle YES in the same way going forward.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I do make that point (obliquely, admittedly), in the thread leader:

"The reason put forward [for the focus on childcare in the launch event] is that people care about bread-and-butter issues like health and education (and childcare). Indeed they do but Holyrood already has substantial powers in these areas. Debates over policy in these areas is the stuff of general elections, not referendums."
    Define substantial , the point is people want all the powers in Scotland so that they can improve the country. To date leaving them in London has not done much for Scotland , that is the point.
  • Options
    Though to follow on from my previous point, the Yes campaign's best chance of winning is to inspire with a positive vision of what Scotland would look like post-independence. To be heard on that, it needs good answers to the questions of process and transition.

The SNP majoring on the policy commitments rather than the detail at the White Paper launch shows that they are not at all confident that they have good answers to the questions of process and transition. The No campaign should be looking for more questions like the ones about currency and EU membership. There are no doubt others lurking in the 670 page White Paper.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

Does not mean you have a clue , you could have been born in Timbucktoo and know more. I see you have ignored the fact that I did indeed reply on david's dream of the reality in the debate in Scotland , despite your sneering post. Are you still in Falkirk and in the UK Labour Party then
  • Options
    Thats just asinine. All politicians want their country to be a better place, just differ very substantially on what that means!

The decision on whether autonomous spending policies should be spent subsidising childcare rather than many other worthy causes such as rural development, improving education or rebuilding Scotlands manufacturing base is a different issue to whether Scotland should have the dependence on these issues. A Yes campaign that took a wider view and wanted Scots whose view of Independence was different to a high spending SNP government would be more likely to win over voters. The issue of financial autonomy is quite a different one to how the money should be spent.

DH is right, a campaign for AV that had UKIP on board, rather than one that was led by luvvies whose explicit point was to make a Conservative government much harder, would have had a better chance. A Yes campaign that reached out to SLAB, LD and Scottish Tory voters would be a very different one. By tying the Yes Campaign so tightly to a SNP manifesto these voters are being pushed into the No Campaign.

I remain in the Yes camp myself, were I to have a vote myself, but would want a Scotland with its own currencyand different EU position.
    malcolmg said:

• Options
    @Herders wrote :

"Oh, and happy St Andrew's Day."

Thank you.

And may I cordially extend my warm felicitations to the Scottish diaspora of PB and hope they enjoy our saints day.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Though to follow on from my previous point, the Yes campaign's best chance of winning is to inspire with a positive vision of what Scotland would look like post-independence. To be heard on that, it needs good answers to the questions of process and transition.

The SNP majoring on the policy commitments rather than the detail at the White Paper launch shows that they are not at all confident that they have good answers to the questions of process and transition. The No campaign should be looking for more questions like the ones about currency and EU membership. There are no doubt others lurking in the 670 page White Paper.

It is really difficult to have Yes/No answers to all these policies given the negotiations that will need to take place with UK / Europe / etc.
    The SNP have at least tried to put forward a positive picture of what could be done in an independent Scotland. The NO campaign to date are bereft of ideas or policies , their only gambit is to say we are too stupid and too poor to be independent, they will need to up their game big style. Given that they hate each other so much and will not appear at the same meetings it is hard for them to have a joined up message.
  • Options
    Off topic, we have had discussion a few times on here about the bias the BBC shows when introducing spokesmen from thinktanks. At commentisfree, George Monbiot gets on the case:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/29/thinktank-bbc-smoking-big-tobacco
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited November 2013
    On topic.

'It’s uncomfortably close to one of the SNP’s less attractive habits: equating support for the SNP with support for independence with Scottishness itself'

Isn't that precisely what you're doing (in a somewhat mangled way)? There are Yes supporters of all parties and none, there are people who want Devo Max but don't trust Westminster to deliver it if there's a No, and there are people who are thinking 'F*** it, anything for a change'. I'll give credit to some of the Unionists on here that they at least recognise that it's going to be Labour Yes, No and Don't Know supporters who'll probably swing it either way.

Comparisons are invidious, and making one with the AV referendum particularly & lazily so. Even coinciding with assembly and local election the turnout for AV was only 42%; I'll take a bet anytime that the Indy referendum will be at least 50% higher. I'm happy to be corrected, but I seem to recall the level of voter engagement, and attempts to engage the voter, being spectacularly meagre and confused for AV. By contrast, 10 months out from the Indy referendum there are meetings, events and tv, radio, public, school, business & uni debates happening on an almost daily basis.

A common meme, usually delivered with an implied sneer, is that Scottish politics are narrow & parochial (which politics aren't local?), though I'd prefer to see them as more communitarian and cohesive. Whichever the case the childcare proposal certainly has resonance, and voters are smart enough to realise that such policies are directly connected to having complete economic control so we can pay for them ourselves, rather than robbing Peter to pay Paul out of the fixed pocket money distributed by Westminster.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    A lot of angry SNP'rs on here today.. They seem to be very scared..
  • Options
    @malcolmg The No campaign don't need a joined-up message. All they need is to get a majority against the specific proposal put forward by the Yes campaign.

As it happens, I believe the Yes campaign would be capable of getting a majority supportive of the SNP's vision for Scotland (and you're right to say that no part of the No campaign has yet expressed an alternative vision with any energy), but that it would only get a positive vote if it had neutralised the process questions by the time of the vote. So far it has failed miserably to do that. And pretending that some points are unarguable when they are either transparently arguable or in some cases an uphill struggle to make the case for those points is harming the Independence cause, not helping it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

saddened said:

Cool, then your cluelessness has nothing to with your 'Scottishness', however you might wish to define that.
  • Options
    In the spirit of my free Presbyterian ancestors:

Away with that Papist idolatry!

JackW said:

@Herders wrote :

"Oh, and happy St Andrew's Day."

Thank you.

And may I cordially extend my warm felicitations to the Scottish diaspora of PB and hope they enjoy our saints day.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2013
    Here's a sight. Patrick Diamond in the Guardian is advocating that Labour should steal a UKIP policy:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/30/labour-election-success-economic-credibility-election

"Rather than squandering the proceeds of a fire-sale of the Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Bank on indiscriminate tax cuts, as the Conservative party is advocating, Labour should promise that half the proceeds will be used immediately to pay down the national debt.

The remaining revenues from the bank's sale should be invested in a National Growth Fund designed to radically upgrade Britain's economic capacity: modernising infrastructure; investing in science, innovation, and industrial policy; boosting direct strategic investment by government in growth sectors, especially in regions outside the south-east; transforming the stock of intermediate skills through genuinely world-class apprenticeships. This is a more comprehensive approach than merely creating a National Investment Bank. The initial sale of 6% of the government's stake in Lloyds raised £3.2bn for the exchequer: the potential is enormous. A National Growth Fund should be the centrepiece of Labour's alternative autumn statement."

A State Investment Fund is a great idea, mind.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tim said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

He's a liability Mike, utter rubbish.
    They'd be better off stranding him in Orkney and have Duncan Hames look after his and Jo Swinson's baby from day one.

Is Duncan your new politico-crush?

I suspect I've known him far longer than you. I'm not convinced I'd want him anywhere nearer to power than he already is.
  • Options
    I see being Scottish isn't good enough for the SNPers on here if you don't agree with them.

Well that's an interesting way to define being Scottish - only SNP voters count.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk wrote :

"In the spirit of my free Presbyterian ancestors:

Away with that Papist idolatry!"

Bless you my son ....

Proffers bejewelled and gloved hand to kiss ....

• Options
    So if the SNP white paper is a devomax manifesto - is there not a danger that a large no vote provesccounterproductive to Holyroods case for further powers ?
  • Options
    tim said:

Quite an achievement by the BBC this, going from 40% of broadcasting revenues to 25% but maintaining this remarkable popularity among viewers and listeners

The BBC now vs. 20 years ago. pic.twitter.com/4dc1VqY56N

21 hours per week per person, thats about 5p per hour per person, the best bargain in the world.

Its only a bargain if you actually want to use it. If you don't then it is simply another unwanted tax.

More to the point who the hell has time to watch 21 hours of TV a week, let alone specifically 21 hours of BBC?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

saddened said:

saddened said:

Does not mean you have a clue , you could have been born in Timbucktoo and know more. I see you have ignored the fact that I did indeed reply on david's dream of the reality in the debate in Scotland , despite your sneering post. Are you still in Falkirk and in the UK Labour Party then
    You made no attempt to address his points. I no longer live in Falkirk, I joined the brain drain and left Scotland and the weaker members of the herd behind (this gratuitous insult stuff is fun, I can see why you do it so much).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

Here's a sight. Patrick Diamond in the Guardian is advocating that Labour should steal a UKIP policy:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/30/labour-election-success-economic-credibility-election

"Rather than squandering the proceeds of a fire-sale of the Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Bank on indiscriminate tax cuts, as the Conservative party is advocating, Labour should promise that half the proceeds will be used immediately to pay down the national debt.

The remaining revenues from the bank's sale should be invested in a National Growth Fund designed to radically upgrade Britain's economic capacity: modernising infrastructure; investing in science, innovation, and industrial policy; boosting direct strategic investment by government in growth sectors, especially in regions outside the south-east; transforming the stock of intermediate skills through genuinely world-class apprenticeships. This is a more comprehensive approach than merely creating a National Investment Bank. The initial sale of 6% of the government's stake in Lloyds raised £3.2bn for the exchequer: the potential is enormous. A National Growth Fund should be the centrepiece of Labour's alternative autumn statement."

A State Investment Fund is a great idea, mind.

A state investment fund has some advantages, but many pitfalls.

You need to be very careful about the mandate - Norway has a good approach, with a maximum of 3.5% (IIRC) being allowed to be spent each year - otherwise it just becomes a piggy bank than politicians raid at will. Focusing it on economic capacity is a sensible idea, provided that it gets an acceptable above inflation yield on investments: it needs to become self-financing (or at least have that potential) in due course.

The other risk, in my mind, is using it like FSI in France as an instrument of economic protection. If it wants to operate like OTPP in Canada (although that is technically private rather than state) or Temasek then that is more acceptable in that it is just an investor in private companies. FSI comes with too many strings attached.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    malcolmg said:

As for my home town.

Yes and most of them being children will not have a vote, strange that Aberdeenshire should choose to ask S1-S6 to vote on it. In all other ones seen to date , ie university debates , surprisingly YES has won comfortably.
    Not sure about that. My eldest son is at Glasgow university where they had a debate and No won about 70/30. My youngest is at a secondary school school in Renfrew where a similar vote went 80/20 in favour of no.
  • Options
    Interesting story I just saw the headline of on Googlenews. Angus Robertson, of the SNP, has apparently called for the UK General Election to be postponed if there's a Yes vote.
  • Options

A lot of angry SNP'rs on here today.. They seem to be very scared..

Richard , dear dear , how do you get anyone as angry, passionate maybe , depressed at the ignorance of some people from the south maybe, but angry , you have some strange ideas.
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

saddened said:

saddened said:

You made no attempt to address his points. I no longer live in Falkirk, I joined the brain drain and left Scotland and the weaker members of the herd behind (this gratuitous insult stuff is fun, I can see why you do it so much).
    So you have nothing to add to the debate other than personal insults , 2 out of 2 so far. Scottish IQ must have soared with you out of the equation. You are indeed a saddo.
  • Options

Interesting story I just saw the headline of on Googlenews. Angus Robertson, of the SNP, has apparently called for the UK General Election to be postponed if there's a Yes vote.

In Scotland ? Yes good idea.
This discussion has been closed.