Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Veteran US pollster Frank Luntz is right – it will be the econ

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Nah. It's all part and parcel of having a royal family. Let's not get het up about rounding errors.

I find myself unable to care what on earth they do. Hearing the various details behind it still leaves me cold.

No we should slim down the whole circus, the taxpayer should only fund those that are directly in line for the throne and their families. That's the Queen, Charles and William. Everyone else should go and get jobs. Andrew, Edward and the rest of the hangers on are unnecessary for us to fund.
    I mean Meghan and Harry have literally said they are going to “get jobs”.
    Great, then they will have no issues giving up the sovereign grant and won't need to be funded by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall. As I said, if they are giving up the taxpayer funding then good luck to them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    TGOHF666 said:

Remember when PB was obsessed with how many votes Boris had lost in a row and ruminating as to whether he would have the shortest reign of any prime minister ?

Boris losing a vote before 2024 would be really big news now.

Or before 2028.

Or (if he wants the job that long) 2032.

What's the longest uninterrupted reign as PM, btw?

;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Nah. It's all part and parcel of having a royal family. Let's not get het up about rounding errors.

I find myself unable to care what on earth they do. Hearing the various details behind it still leaves me cold.

No we should slim down the whole circus, the taxpayer should only fund those that are directly in line for the throne and their families. That's the Queen, Charles and William. Everyone else should go and get jobs. Andrew, Edward and the rest of the hangers on are unnecessary for us to fund.
    Great, then they will have no issues giving up the sovereign grant and won't need to be funded by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall. As I said, if they are giving up the taxpayer funding then good luck to them.
    That’s what they’ve said. With a transition period.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited January 2020
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

You are misunderstanding the monarchy. You can't apply your logic to it to draw some arbitrary line. It is what it is. Why not the state opening of parliament in jeans and a t shirt?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

News bulletin began: government officials from the US, UK and Canada are all now suggesting....

Was preparing for a Harry and Meghan update whereas the item was about Iran and the plane ffs.

That is, in all seriousness, a very, very horrible story. It reflects extremely badly on Iran.

The irony is that old fool Khamenei will now probably shoot several of his own generals for this cock up, which will damage the government further.

The further irony is of course that whether it’s true or not people will believe it because it’s exactly the sort of stupid error the Iranians would make and then try to cover up (cf those Marines and their boats).
    It is an easy mistake to make. That is how the USS Vincennes shot down a scheduled flight in 1988, killing 290 innocent people.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Fair enough, though I remain sceptical about the length of a transition period and whatever they will do to earn money, I hope they make something of themselves. They were obviously never going to get anywhere in their current positions, Harry isn't in line for the throne and they would have just become another set of hangers on line Andrew's bunch. All in all, it's probably the best decision for them.
  • Options
    Johnson's ways of avoiding scrutiny are becoming ever-more creative ...

https://twitter.com/telepolitics/status/1215505389770432517?s=21
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

News bulletin began: government officials from the US, UK and Canada are all now suggesting....

Was preparing for a Harry and Meghan update whereas the item was about Iran and the plane ffs.

That is, in all seriousness, a very, very horrible story. It reflects extremely badly on Iran.

The irony is that old fool Khamenei will now probably shoot several of his own generals for this cock up, which will damage the government further.

The further irony is of course that whether it’s true or not people will believe it because it’s exactly the sort of stupid error the Iranians would make and then try to cover up (cf those Marines and their boats).
    It is an easy mistake to make. That is how the USS Vincennes shot down a scheduled flight in 1988, killing 290 innocent people.
    Pfff easy mistake to make? It shoukd be impossible...wtf was going on?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

You are misunderstanding the monarchy. You can't apply your logic to it to draw some arbitrary line. It is what it is. Why not the state opening of parliament in jeans and a t shirt?
    The monarchy, like the party, needs to change with the times. People are tired of funding the losers and weirdos like Andrew, it might be a low cost, but it is a very visible sore point for the royal family.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

The monarchy, like the party, needs to change with the times. People are tired of funding the losers and weirdos like Andrew, it might be a low cost, but it is a very visible sore point for the royal family.
    Think about that statement. The monarchy needs to change with the times. Says who and how? It's nonsense.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

It’s all such a shitshow. How many innocents are also killed each year by drone strikes? All of it keeps on adding to the hatred. It’s hard to see how it ends.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. I agree. I hear she's back in Canada already.
    Topping trolling...
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

PM with huge majority is scared of parliament ?

It’s a view.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Surely his most effective way of avoiding scrutiny is Corbyn remaining LOTO until April? This week was just beyond embarrassing.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/corbyn-pmqs-boris-johnson-trump-trade-deal-brexit-commons-a9275186.html
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Remember when PB was obsessed with how many votes Boris had lost in a row and ruminating as to whether he would have the shortest reign of any prime minister ?

Or before 2028.

;)
    Walpole - 22 years
    Pitt the Younger - 17 years
    Lord Liverpool - 15 years
    Lord North - 12 years
    Margaret Thatcher - 11 years
    Tony Blair - 10 years

I’ve got a feeling there was another 18th century PM who topped a decade, but I can’t remember who it is.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,842
    edited January 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Fair enough, though I remain sceptical about the length of a transition period and whatever they will do to earn money, I hope they make something of themselves. They were obviously never going to get anywhere in their current positions, Harry isn't in line for the throne and they would have just become another set of hangers on line Andrew's bunch. All in all, it's probably the best decision for them.
    With Harry and Andrew both hors de combat , will they now find a use for the Earl of Wessex?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.
    I’m sure the voters in Blyth Valley are chuffed that MPs are getting more holiday.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Because in 30 years there has been no progress with tracking technology?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Think about that statement. The monarchy needs to change with the times. Says who and how? It's nonsense.
    The public, if they don't they will get swept away. Lots of people respect and appreciate the Queen. However, her reign is coming to an end and I'm fairly sure that the drum beat of republicanism will start again, and if the hangers on are still there people will be receptive to getting rid of the lot of them.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.
    I’m sure the voters in Blyth Valley are chuffed that MPs are getting more holiday.
    The MP for Blythe is a Conservative mainly due to Labour recalling parliament for more debates on the EU last year.

• Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.
    Might depend on what they do with it. I imagine many voters in the former Red Wall would appreciate seeing their MP a bit more often...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

The whole point of monarchy is the genetic lottery, with the winners being literally born to rule. Whether a person is a saint or Prince Andrew does not influence the succession, at least not for the last 3 centuries.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.
    Might depend on what they do with it. I imagine many voters in the former Red Wall would appreciate seeing their MP a bit more often...
    Like running their businesses?

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1215367276913922049?s=21
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

The whole point of monarchy is the genetic lottery, with the winners being literally born to rule. Whether a person is a saint or Prince Andrew does not influence the succession, at least not for the last 3 centuries.
    Except for Edward VIII.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

All part of the fog of war.
  • Options

Johnson's ways of giving Labour more time to go away and reflect on their crushing defeat are becoming ever-more creative ...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

There's a more than a good chance that Iran's tech is 30 years old.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

Or before 2028.

;)
    Walpole - 22 years
    Lord North - 12 years
    Tony Blair - 10 years

I’ve got a feeling there was another 18th century PM who topped a decade, but I can’t remember who it is.
    OK Boris - 23 years it is.....

He can give up the top job just at the age Bernie is going for it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Surely his most effective way of avoiding scrutiny is Corbyn remaining LOTO until April? This week was just beyond embarrassing.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/corbyn-pmqs-boris-johnson-trump-trade-deal-brexit-commons-a9275186.html
    FOXY read the bit at the end of the article.."noone tells us what to write"... geddit....
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

Man with long track record of avoiding detailed scrutiny continues to do all he can to avoid detailed scrutiny shock!

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Except for Edward VIII.
    Popularity didn't alter the line of succession, so much as the duration of his reign.

• Options

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

Or before 2028.

;)
    Walpole - 22 years
    Lord North - 12 years
    Tony Blair - 10 years

OK Boris - 23 years it is.....

He can give up the top job just at the age Bernie is going for it.
    It’s cute that you’re such a fanboy.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    edited January 2020
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Looking into some of the numbers around Harry, it seem as though he wouldn't need to work. Invested correctly, they could live from the income generated by it as long as they don't have an overly extravagant lifestyle.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Corbyn is a short-term issue. I am quite pleased he is still there deep in his comfort zone, ineffectual, self-indulgent and crap, as the leadership contest continues. Each week more eyes will hopefully open to the damage the hard left has done to Labour and what it will continue to do if it remains in control.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,444
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Mugged us Orf!

Stripping them of cash is a fairly simple process.

But stripping them of titles or HRH is (a) far from simple, requiring an Act of Attainder, and (b) a gross over-reaction.
    If they use it for commercial purposes?

And an Act of Attainder might be a bit of an overkill (in historical senses, literally...)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder#United_Kingdom

Other sources suggest According to Mrs Koenig*, Prince Harry can simply renounce his peerage. However, to rescind his HRH title, The Queen would likely need to issue a Letters Patent.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/insight/will-prince-harry-lose-his-place-in-the-line-of-succession-135960/

* Great name for a royal historian: http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/p/recognized-expert-on-british-and.html

When Princess Margaret was confronted with her options over Townsend it was losing her HRH that swung it.....
    It just seems like a huge over-reaction, to me.
    Even if they use it for commercial purposes?

His Royal HighnessThe Duke of Sussex recommends....

If they want to "step away" from the Royal Family then they should. Since they have branded themselves as "Sussex" losing "HRH" would appear to be less of an issue than renouncing "Sussex". "His Grace, the Duke of Sussex" is not too shabby.....

And it does appear to be a Letters Patent issue, not a Bill/Act of Attainder...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Highness#United_Kingdom
    Why shouldn't they be allowed to use it how the hell they like? It's their title.

I'm really struggling to understand how they are more deserving to lose their HRH than Prince Andrew.
    In short, no-one cares about Prince Andrew.

People care about Prince Harry.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

Man with long track record of avoiding detailed scrutiny continues to do all he can to avoid detailed scrutiny shock!

What is this "scrutiny" of which you speak?

The MPs only need to turn up every couple of months, to rubber-stamp what Dominic Cummings has decided is best for the nation....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Yes, I think Trump is toast but it would be nice to get a US recession this year to make absolutely sure of that.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

The MPs only need to turn up every couple of months, to rubber-stamp what Dominic Cummings has decided is best for the nation....
    Dull troll attempt.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The correlation between Leavers and Meghan haters seems very strong indeed.

On the day the WDA passed the Commons, a dusky immigrant was harassed out of the country. Coincidence or not?

You demean yourself with posts like this.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

Indeed.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I think Trump is toast but it would be nice to get a US recession this year to make absolutely sure of that.

kinder , gentler redundancies to ensure supplies of smug to the woker regions of the UK ?

• Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

It does.

In medieval ones the crap ones would suffer rebellion and death in battle, or execution.

In modern times they’re put out to pasture or encouraged to abdicate, with the catastrophic risk of a republic hanging over the whole thing if they aren’t.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

Dull troll attempt.
    Pot kettle black...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

Trump is following the Obama playbook. ETA: I don't believe this but it is funny anyway.

https://twitter.com/RyanONe75874828/status/1215050566096867328?s=19
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Mugged us Orf!

But stripping them of titles or HRH is (a) far from simple, requiring an Act of Attainder, and (b) a gross over-reaction.

And an Act of Attainder might be a bit of an overkill (in historical senses, literally...)

Other sources suggest According to Mrs Koenig*, Prince Harry can simply renounce his peerage. However, to rescind his HRH title, The Queen would likely need to issue a Letters Patent.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/insight/will-prince-harry-lose-his-place-in-the-line-of-succession-135960/

* Great name for a royal historian: http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/p/recognized-expert-on-british-and.html

When Princess Margaret was confronted with her options over Townsend it was losing her HRH that swung it.....

If they want to "step away" from the Royal Family then they should. Since they have branded themselves as "Sussex" losing "HRH" would appear to be less of an issue than renouncing "Sussex". "His Grace, the Duke of Sussex" is not too shabby.....

Why shouldn't they be allowed to use it how the hell they like? It's their title.

I'm really struggling to understand how they are more deserving to lose their HRH than Prince Andrew.

Then this is not about the future of the monarchy or the royal family. It’s personal.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Foxy said:

On the day the WDA passed the Commons, a dusky immigrant was harassed out of the country. Coincidence or not?

There does seem to be more anger at Harry and Meghan than there was at Andrew. In the latter case there was much contempt and taking the piss but there seems more genuine anger here. Slightly odd.
  • Options
    I don’t think the size of the royal family is the issue. There are a lot of public duties to perform and charities to sponsor in the UK and throughout the Commonwealth, and Anne, Edward and even Kent do a good job on those, and help promote brand Britain. I’m not sure how those individuals stopping doing that and doing something in the private sector instead adds to the gaiety of the nation, or enhances its profile.

The issue is when they themselves become the story, and act selfishly, pompously or don’t play by the rules.

I suppose you could argue the more people in it the bigger the risk of that but there are only so many royal duties those directly in line to the throne can perform.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Looking into some of the numbers around Harry, it seem as though he wouldn't need to work. Invested correctly, they could live from the income generated by it as long as they don't have an overly extravagant lifestyle.

Or there are other options

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/1215333657700945921?s=19
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

There does seem to be more anger at Harry and Meghan than there was at Andrew. In the latter case there was much contempt and taking the piss but there seems more genuine anger here. Slightly odd.
    You expect people to react sanely? I think the issue here is that few people liked Andrew, a lot more people like Harry.

However, he is now (except for very strange and large disaster) spare and should he not be allowed to do what he wants to do.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Mugged us Orf!

Then this is not about the future of the monarchy or the royal family. It’s personal.

Both. Many people were invested in Harry as the future of the Royal Family. Human. Humanitarian (Invictus Games and so on). Even Meghan.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

There's more than a good chance that it is not close to what the USS Vincennes had available to it in 1988. My guess is they thought the airliner was some sort of intercept bomber responding to the firing of rockets.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Foxy said:

I think Foxy was joking. At least I hope he was.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

If it's the missile suspected, yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_missile_system
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

That's actually not a bad idea.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

I certainly agree that the Tory PLP are a bunch of useless drones, only useful as lobby fodder when a vote can no longer be avoided.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Nothing to do with directly flouting the instructions of his 93 year old grandmother with her ailing husband?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Trump is following the Obama playbook. ETA: I don't believe this but it is funny anyway.

The most remarkable thing about that Trump clip is the contrast with the bumbling, physically diminished, drawling, semi-incoherent Trump of today. His decline is very marked. I wonder if he is actually capable of the demands of a full-on presidential campaign.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

You can have all the technology you like but it doesn't matter if there is a jumpy idiot on a switch somewhere in the decision loop.

The Tehran shootdown was by a 2007 vintage SA-15 Grumble.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So Foxy thinks if Meghan wasn't "dusky" no one would be objecting?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Just connecting the dots o:)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

You expect people to react sanely? I think the issue here is that few people liked Andrew, a lot more people like Harry.

However, he is now (except for very strange and large disaster) spare and should he not be allowed to do what he wants to do.
    Then he should not seek to do what he wants and get the benefits of royalty. Full support to him to cut his own path.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

It’s the kind of mistake all militaries tend to make at times of high tension.
    As for the technology, a heavily sanctioned state like Iran cuts corners of necessity rather than by choice.
    The Iranian regime is a highly unpleasant one, and will quite likely cock up their response to this terrible error - but their only real difference to (say) the Saudi regime is that they aren’t our allies.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    MaxPB said:

But their need for an overly extravagant lifestyle is exactly why they want to give up their current roles. It seems that at least one of them didn’t understand that the Royals being one of the richest families in the world doesn’t mean they have unlimited personal wealth to spend as they please.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Then he should not seek to do what he wants and get the benefits of royalty. Full support to him to cut his own path.
    Do we know what he is asking for or are we just assuming what the press scare stories are saying - I'm not paying that much attention as I can't be arsed to check if the stories relate to reality (they never usually do).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

Kinabalu, any tidbits to report regarding your LP meeting?

Did you see Wulfrun-Phils`s comments about his LP Meeting last night? The ex-MP didn`t even show up. Not sure whether the ex-MP lives in the constituency or was one of the parachuted-in types.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Just connecting the dots o:)
    Or saying more about yourself than anyone else.....
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

You can have all the technology you like but it doesn't matter if there is a jumpy idiot on a switch somewhere in the decision loop.

Within 3 minutes of take off and more than 3 minutes from any Iranian border.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

The public, if they don't they will get swept away. Lots of people respect and appreciate the Queen. However, her reign is coming to an end and I'm fairly sure that the drum beat of republicanism will start again, and if the hangers on are still there people will be receptive to getting rid of the lot of them.
    It's an increasing risk.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The British establishment is adept at freezing out those who do not fit its cozy world. I suspect that they would have been more tolerant of her ethnicity if she had played the part of a simpering clothes horse.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

But their need for an overly extravagant lifestyle is exactly why they want to give up their current roles. It seems that at least one of them didn’t understand that the Royals being one of the richest families in the world doesn’t mean they have unlimited personal wealth to spend as they please.
    Oh really? It has nothing to do with them wanting to bring up their child away from the vultures in the British media?

Must be personal greed. Got it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

It’s a bit like the Diane Abbott fans who thought every criticism of her was because she was black and female, as opposed to innumerate and illiterate.
  • Options
    eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Within 3 minutes of take off and more than 3 minutes from any Iranian border.
    The other odd bit is that the airliner was ascending, not descending, as would most likely be the case with an aerial threat.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Oh really? It has nothing to do with them wanting to bring up their child away from the vultures in the British media?

Nothing says good parenting like leaving your child with a nanny in Canada whilst you jet over to London to set up your branded website.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Nothing says good parenting like leaving your child with a nanny in Canada whilst you jet over to London to set up your branded website.
    Do you want them to be financially independent or what?

Firstly you criticise them for not working. Then you criticise them for working.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080

kinabalu said:

The most remarkable thing about that Trump clip is the contrast with the bumbling, physically diminished, drawling, semi-incoherent Trump of today. His decline is very marked. I wonder if he is actually capable of the demands of a full-on presidential campaign.

He will be young and sprightly compared to his likely Democratic challengers Biden or Sanders who are both older than Trump
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,960
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

That's actually not a bad idea.
    Isn't the Bahamas more traditional?
  • Options
    Alternative take: Meghan left her child with a childminder as she commuted to the city to forge an independent income for her family.

You guys are total hypocrites.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I’m just going by what they said in their own statement.

I have no problems with the press calling out woke hypocrites who try and lecture normal people on how to live their lives and save the planet, while themselves not wanting to be seen dead flying commercial.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I’m just going by what they said in their own statement.

I have no problems with the press calling out woke hypocrites who try and lecture normal people on how to live their lives and save the planet, while themselves not wanting to be seen dead flying commercial.
    You’re just projecting your own insecurities.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    It's a bit silly to be polling on this, because they haven't yet made the big decision. I doubt many people - royalist or republican - will be opposed to their final decision. What the polling clearly shows is that people do not support their demands for being half-in and half-out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

He will be young and sprightly compared to his likely Democratic challengers Biden or Sanders who are both older than Trump
    “Young and sprightly” is an interesting way of describing “borderline senile”.
  • Options
    McTague nails the source of the criticism of the Sussexes: In Britain, hypocrisy is the killer charge, the worst sin of all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/01/prince-harry-meghan-markle-hypocrisy-royals/604714/
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Mugged us Orf!

Both. Many people were invested in Harry as the future of the Royal Family. Human. Humanitarian (Invictus Games and so on). Even Meghan.

I cannot see how Andrew’s predatory, entitled sexual misconduct (to put it mildly) is less damaging to the standing of the royal family than Harry’s desire to look after his own family and earn a crust. I know which one I think damages the monarchy more - and which one harms the country’s reputation the most.

• Options

Alternative take: Meghan left her child with a childminder as she commuted to the city to forge an independent income for her family.

Won’t you woke republicans think of the carbon footprint???
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Eagles, there's a split there between opinion on funding and the decision.

How they try and square the funding circle will determine public perceptions going forward, it seems.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Everyone is correct. There is a visible decline in Trump, and Biden. However, this was also raised with Reagan and GW Bush and they still won.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

I certainly agree that the Tory PLP are a bunch of useless drones, only useful as lobby fodder when a vote can no longer be avoided.
    As opposed to Tony Blair's bunch of useless drones, only useful as lobby fodder when a vote can no longer be avoided, when he had a majority of 179....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

It does rather remind me of the succession of grey gerontocrats after Brezhnev in the final days of the USSR. Nancy Pelosi is another example. Not a healthy sign.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds a good idea, 60% of Canadians and 62% of young Canadians and 47% of Quebecois back the move and Meghan is Canadian and Canada is a Commonwealth realm. The Canadian PM is also the left liberal woke Justin Trudeau in keeping with their world view
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It's a bit silly to be polling on this, because they haven't yet made the big decision. I doubt many people - royalist or republican - will be opposed to their final decision. What the polling clearly shows is that people do not support their demands for being half-in and half-out.
    Well it also seems a bit silly for people on social media and PB to condemn the Sussexes before the final decision has been made.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Won’t you woke republicans think of the carbon footprint???
    You mistake me for a Meghan fan, or a republican. There are much more important things to worry about than an inconsequential family of 3 who happen to post on Instagram occasionally.
  • Options
    They support their decision but they refuse to fund them anymore if they are not doing royal duties, that is the evidence from that poll
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They support their decision but they refuse to fund them anymore if they are not doing royal duties, that is the evidence from that poll
    Thank you for your deep analysis of the polling.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TGOHF666 said:

It’s a view.

As opposed to Tony Blair's bunch of useless drones, only useful as lobby fodder when a vote can no longer be avoided, when he had a majority of 179....
    I agree, indeed that is one side to why I left the Labour Party in the early noughties.

Francis Pym was sacked in '83 for pointing out that Landslides rarely lead to successful governments.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    MaxPB said:

You had us all till the last bit :)
  • Options

McTague nails the source of the criticism of the Sussexes: In Britain, hypocrisy is the killer charge, the worst sin of all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/01/prince-harry-meghan-markle-hypocrisy-royals/604714/

Interesting but unconvincing. The Sussexes do seem to want it both ways but is that hypocrisy? In any case, that is not the real problem which is that people really did care about Harry in the same way they cared about Diana -- both were seen as the new face of the Royal Family, engaging with the public and with serious issues; not aloof and not in it for the perks like Air Miles Andy (even before the Epstein news).

It's the sense of betrayal not hypocrisy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

There's more than a good chance that it is not close to what the USS Vincennes had available to it in 1988. My guess is they thought the airliner was some sort of intercept bomber responding to the firing of rockets.
    Most likely. In which case, they would have had seconds to respond to a perceived incoming threat.

Of course, the prudent might have closed the airport whilst missiles were whizzing about.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sounds a good idea, 60% of Canadians and 62% of young Canadians and 47% of Quebecois back the move and Meghan is Canadian and Canada is a Commonwealth realm. The Canadian PM is also the left liberal woke Justin Trudeau in keeping with their world view
    And Canada is handy for the American chat show and celebrity circuits.
This discussion has been closed.