Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will it be English Tories that swings the IndyRef for the Y

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will it be English Tories that swings the IndyRef for the Yes Side?

For those of us betting and/or wanting Scotland to voting, bar one poll that was commissioned by the SNP, the general thrust of the recent polling hasn’t been favourable for us, so where will this surge in support for the Yes Side come from?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 48s

New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-1); Cons 35 (+1); LD 12 (=); UKIP 7 (=); Oth 8 (=) Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi291113
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Any IndyRef polls in the pipeline?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Any IndyRef polls in the pipeline?

I'm expecting a couple in the next few days, there may be some in the aftermath of the publication of the white paper
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I can't see the Lib Dems being on 12. That said, I wonder where they'd gain more votes from... soft Labour protest votes, perhaps?
  • Options
    tim said:

If you developed a bacteria in a lab to repel Scots and women it would be very similar to Cameron and Osborne. Keep them away for Gods sake

Get them involved, I say. If such well-educated men can't convince Scotland of its rightful future then perhaps Scotland doesn't deserve the privilege of such leadership.

This may or may not be related to my betting position.

• Options
    FPT
    AndyJS said:

2010 election result for GB excluding Scotland:

Shares:

Con: 38.8%
    Lab: 28.5%
    LD: 24.0%
    UKIP: 3.4%
    BNP: 2.1%
    Green: 1.0%

Seats:

Con: 305
    Lab: 217
    LD: 46
    PC: 3
    Green: 1
    Speaker: 1

Poor Old Ed Miliband What A Shame...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Who ever made Alistair Carmichael secretary of state for Scotland - thank you ;-) Watched QT last night and if I was a Scot who hasn't made they mind up,this guy would have put me in the independence camp ;-)

The negativity coming from the unionist parties is pathetic and only Annabel Goldie came out with any credit from the unionist side on QT.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Just passing on a comment I have heard - 'I have no objection to Scotland keeping Stirling.'
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Populus Poll..Soaraway Labour 3 magnificent points ahead...almost out of sight..
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Thanks Kevin, I was about to post that again. I always seem to post just as a new thread is starting.
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Yep, anything Cameron and Osborne do or say will probably help the Yes campaign. Lock them in a cupboard or something for the duration.
  • Options

Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 48s

New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-1); Cons 35 (+1); LD 12 (=); UKIP 7 (=); Oth 8 (=) Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi291113

That's the best Populus for Con since....end September.....

On Topic - while the Tories getting stuck into the Indie debate would lose it for the Union, Labour not getting stuck in could also lose it - why are Labour leaving it all up to Darling and the z-lists of SLAB?

• Options
    F1: Bahrain will apparently become a night race in 2014:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25155294

Bit gimmicky, but then, the circuit's bloody atrocious. I suspect potentially low reliability may make 2014 more entertaining than usual, though.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

Yep, anything Cameron and Osborne do or say will probably help the Yes campaign. Lock them in a cupboard or something for the duration.

After watching QT last night,make room in cupboard for shadow secretary of state for Scotland - Margaret Curran MP ;-)
  • Options
    slade said:

Just passing on a comment I have heard - 'I have no objection to Scotland keeping Stirling.'

Sometimes I wish we had the Like button, that is very droll but good :)

English Tory hoping (but not expecting) independence from the Scots here.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    The consensus on the the previous thread that SLAB are a few sandwiches short of a picnic and have the charisma of a rotting horse is indeed worrying from a Unionst point of view. The Lib Dems in Scotland are either AWOL or frankly incompetent.

At the moment Cameron is playing this safe leaving it to Darling and other Scots to make the running. Osborne comes in to puncture some absurd nonsense and then wanders off again. As long as the polls remain stable and solidly no I don't think that will change.

But what if the polls do change? At what point does the PM fight for the Union? There has already been implied criticism from Sir John Major and pretty express criticism from Boris (who said that Maggie would have fought like a lion for the Union) about Cameron's low profile. His intervention in the AV referendum seemed pretty decisive.

Those that rely very heavily on the absurd bias built into our elections have convinced themselves that Labour might be just dreadful at running the country but they are very good at winning elections. The experience of 2011 suggests otherwise. I am not at all sure that we can rely on SLAB, even with Westminster reinforcements, to bring home the bacon.

As I have said before on here Independence cannot be about whether we are individually or collectively a few quid better or worse off. It is about whether we think are indeed better together or better on our own.

Like a marriage it is hard to conclude that we are better together if the spouse is cool or indifferent as to our decision. I recognise the risks and I accept that there is much to be said for playing it safe but I would like the British PM and the British Chancellor to be a lot more vocal and involved in the preservation of the UK. At the end of the day, like a spouse, Scots need to feel wanted if they are going to hang around. There is insufficient evidence of that at the moment.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    SeanT said:

But it's not just a question of simply extracting the Scotch Labour seats from the equation, if Scotland goes indy.

You also have to take away all the senior Scottish Labour politicians, the Scottish Labour activists, the Scottish Labour ideology, the Scottish Labour money; recall that the founder of Labour - Keir Hardie - was a Scot. Scotland is the absolute heartland of Labour: its core. For Labour to lose Scotland would be like the Tories losing the Home Counties.

Just remember the last Labour government - it had a Scottish Prime Minister, Brown, and many of its senior figures - John Reid, Robin Cook, Donald Dewar, Douglas Alexander - were Scots.

If Scotland votes independence all these politicians, and their successors, will instantly become foreigners, and all that intellectual energy will be denied Labour in London.

It would be an absolutely devastating blow to the Labour party. A potentially mortal wound.

Ah! Nirvana. You naughty tease, you.
  • Options
    I don't think that there is much that the Conservatives can say that will affect the outcome either way (short of threatening to exercise prima nocta, following the example of Edward I in Braveheart). Their unpopularity in Scotland and their perceived lack of sympathy with Scottish thinking is priced into voters' current thinking.

Counterintuitively, because David Cameron is presently poorly thought of in Scotland, he may be able to make a mildly positive impact by showing he is at least engaging with the topic. The single most dangerous thing that an English Prime Minister who wants to keep Scotland in the union can do is appear to be completely indifferent to the referendum. I'm not suggesting that he should engage in the debate on a daily basis, but he shouldn't be afraid to express his views occasionally - though he would be well-advised to leave the process questions to others and concentrate on explaining how he thinks the union makes both Scotland and the rest of the UK stronger.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But it's not just a question of simply extracting the Scotch Labour seats from the equation, if Scotland goes indy.

You also have to take away all the senior Scottish Labour politicians, the Scottish Labour activists, the Scottish Labour ideology, the Scottish Labour money; recall that the founder of Labour - Keir Hardie - was a Scot. Scotland is the absolute heartland of Labour: its core. For Labour to lose Scotland would be like the Tories losing the Home Counties.

Just remember the last Labour government - it had a Scottish Prime Minister, Brown, and many of its senior figures - John Reid, Robin Cook, Donald Dewar, Douglas Alexander - were Scots.

If Scotland votes independence all these politicians, and their successors, will instantly become foreigners, and all that intellectual energy will be denied Labour in London.

It would be an absolutely devastating blow to the Labour party. A potentially mortal wound.

Indeed, and the FOAK says the first five leaders of the Labour party were all Scottish Born, and seven out of the first eight Labour leaders were Scottish Born
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

FPT

AndyJS said:

2010 election result for GB excluding Scotland:

Shares:

Con: 38.8%
    Lab: 28.5%
    LD: 24.0%
    UKIP: 3.4%
    BNP: 2.1%
    Green: 1.0%

Seats:

Con: 305
    Lab: 217
    LD: 46
    PC: 3
    Green: 1
    Speaker: 1

Poor Old Ed Miliband What A Shame...
    George Galloway ??

• Options
    antifrank said:

I don't think that there is much that the Conservatives can say that will affect the outcome either way (short of threatening to exercise prima nocta, following the example of Edward I in Braveheart). Their unpopularity in Scotland and their perceived lack of sympathy with Scottish thinking is priced into voters' current thinking.

Counterintuitively, because David Cameron is presently poorly thought of in Scotland, he may be able to make a mildly positive impact by showing he is at least engaging with the topic. The single most dangerous thing that an English Prime Minister who wants to keep Scotland in the union can do is appear to be completely indifferent to the referendum. I'm not suggesting that he should engage in the debate on a daily basis, but he shouldn't be afraid to express his views occasionally - though he would be well-advised to leave the process questions to others and concentrate on explaining how he thinks the union makes both Scotland and the rest of the UK stronger.

Rumour has it David Cameron is considering changing his name via deed poll to David Longshanks.
  • Options
    If Scotland don't vote to leave the union,when do the English get to vote to make sure they do ;-)
  • Options
    Never got the chance to respond to the last thread and not read it so sorry if this is repetitive but the figures show that household debt to income has fallen in recent years, in the last month unsecured debts have fallen while mortgage debt is rising.

That is a good thing not a bad thing. While unsecured Wonga debts are a terrible idea, they are falling. More people being able to afford their own home is good news and a sign that the economy is improving.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I can't see the Lib Dems being on 12. That said, I wonder where they'd gain more votes from... soft Labour protest votes, perhaps?

From those Tories who are appalled by David Cameron's antipathy to Green crap.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm so tempted to move my address to my in-laws place now so I can vote YES

CRY FREEDOM!!!
  • Options
    The fact that Henry McLeish thinks Cameron is 'scarier' than Thatcher to Scots shows one thing to be true. Henry McLeish is a fool. Cameron in no way attracts the same animus as Lady Thatcher did, and still does.

The continued lead of the No side suggests that so far Cameron and Osborne are doing the right thing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If the UK ceases to be it will have a profound effect on all political parties in England, on England's view of itself, on how others view England and on the English themselves. None of us who were not alive during WW2 will have lived through anything close to it: a line will have been drawn under 300 years of our history, constitution and institutions. Labour will become a very different beast, that is for sure; but so will the Conservative and Unionist Party. One thing is pretty certain - we are not going to carry on as we are, only without Scotland. Political, economic and financial debate across the previous UK will be dominated by the fall-out from divorce for a decade at least.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It seems to me that the party that's really put paid to the union is labour.

Scotland had 13 years of having their 'team' in control in Westminster, and they clearly aren't content with the deal they got.

Conclusion: No pan UK party will ever give the Scots what they want.
  • Options
    Here' s hoping for a Black McSwan.

Fingers crossed they go.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    A Yes vote end Ed's career.

Its as simple as that.
  • Options

SeanT said:

If the UK ceases to be it will have a profound effect on all political parties in England, on England's view of itself, on how others view England and on the English themselves. None of us who were not alive during WW2 will have lived through anything close to it: a line will have been drawn under 300 years of our history, constitution and institutions. Labour will become a very different beast, that is for sure; but so will the Conservative and Unionist Party. One thing is pretty certain - we are not going to carry on as we are, only without Scotland. Political, economic and financial debate across the previous UK will be dominated by the fall-out from divorce for a decade at least.
    That's true...but it's rather difficult to predict the fall out if it happens. All sorts of things could spin out of it..
  • Options

Political, economic and financial debate across the previous UK will be dominated by the fall-out from divorce for a decade at least.

I'm not so sure. It feels like it should, given the enormity of what is contemplated. However losing 8% of the population - a 8% that have been increasingly talking amongst themselves since devolution - seems like something rUK will take in its stride, more or less.

Of course the immediate electoral impact in rUK will be favourable for the Tories, but you would imagine that will fade away as Labour re-calibrate slightly to the right.

I had to laugh at the moronic English caller to R5Live last night (on Question Time Extra Time) who demanded that the Electoral Commission would have to re-draw constituencies in preparation for independence as he didn't want Tory government in perpetuity ("they'll need to move some of the rural seats into the cities").
  • Options
    ''Political, economic and financial debate across the previous UK will be dominated by the fall-out from divorce for a decade at least. ''

I think you seriously underestimate England's resilience. The response of the vast majority of rUK will be 'bovered', I'm off to work...
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

Then you don't know most scottish labour MPs very well.

I assure you that, just in the way Rifkind was parachuted into a safe seat for the tories down south, scottish labour MPs would be elbowing their way to the front of the queue should they cease to have a seat in scotland. I can think of several who would jump at the chance to do so. Of course places will be limited so there's going to be a cull but most of the same 'big beasts' who have shown zero interest in standing for the scottish parliament all this time will not easily forsake their westminster ambitions and lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

Would there be technical problems with them standing? Perhaps so, but they have shown remarkable 'flexibility' in the past to overcome mere technical obstructions to their ambitions.
  • Options

I had to laugh at the moronic English caller to R5Live last night (on Question Time Extra Time) who demanded that the Electoral Commission would have to re-draw constituencies in preparation for independence as he didn't want Tory government in perpetuity ("they'll need to move some of the rural seats into the cities").

I heard that too, he was priceless! Brazenly calling for gerrymandering of the constituencies so his favoured party gets in power. Awesome.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The most likely result of Scotland going Indy is that the Welsh will demand Devomax, with their MPs largely withdrawing from Westminster, injuring Labour even more.

There's no getting round it: if Scotland votes Yes it is the Labour party that will take by far the biggest hit - emotionally, ideologically, financially, politically. The Tories barely exist in Scotland, as their enemies never cease to remind them; the flipside of that is that Labour rely on Scotland in all kinds of ways.

The Labour party post Yes vote would be like someone who has lost a leg in a bomb. I'm sure they would learn to walk again. In time. With assistance. But they would never be the same.

It's for this reason I am puzzled by the silence and inertia of Labour's big Scottish beasts. This is an existential threat. Are they being stupidly complacent, or just stupid?
    Labour don't really have that many Big Scottish Beasts these days. Sadly some like Smith, Cook and Dewar died young. After that you're looking at Darling, Brown and Murphy who have all been involved to varying degrees.

I go back to the point that the No side continues to lead. They must be doing something right, I don't see the point in a big change of personnel at this stage.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ''The most likely result of Scotland going Indy is that the Welsh will demand Devomax, with their MPs largely withdrawing from Westminster, injuring Labour even more. ''

Hang on a second. We can debate whether Scotland subsidises England or Vice Versa. What is beyond debate is that England subsidises Wales. Big time.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's for this reason I am puzzled by the silence and inertia of Labour's big Scottish beasts. This is an existential threat. Are they being stupidly complacent, or just stupid?
    Labour never saw the possibility of the SNP grabbing a majority in the Scottish parliament, so it's not as if they don't have form on being complacent.

Labour have always seen Scotland as their own personal fiefdom...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The most likely result of Scotland going Indy is that the Welsh will demand Devomax, with their MPs largely withdrawing from Westminster, injuring Labour even more.

There's no getting round it: if Scotland votes Yes it is the Labour party that will take by far the biggest hit - emotionally, ideologically, financially, politically. The Tories barely exist in Scotland, as their enemies never cease to remind them; the flipside of that is that Labour rely on Scotland in all kinds of ways.

The Labour party post Yes vote would be like someone who has lost a leg in a bomb. I'm sure they would learn to walk again. In time. With assistance. But they would never be the same.

Complacent, remember The then Labour Shadow Secretary State for Scotland Scottish Devolution was meant to kill Scottish Nationalism Stone Dead.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Independant Scotland=Sinking ship..Despite the Braveheart rhetoric from our friends in the North it will be interesting to see how many of the stalwarts will quietly scuttle of darn souf come the day..
  • Options
    taffys said:

It seems to me that the party that's really put paid to the union is labour.

Scotland had 13 years of having their 'team' in control in Westminster, and they clearly aren't content with the deal they got.

Conclusion: No pan UK party will ever give the Scots what they want.

Yep: a partly-Scottish PM and then an unambiguously Scottish PM, Scottish Chancellors for the whole period, Scottish defence ministers for much of the time, Scottish Foreign Sec for some of the time, other Scottish cabinet ministers in key positions throughout the 13 years, devolved powers for education, health, and law and order: and still they manage to bitch about Scotland not having enough influence!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Highlands Landward Caithness is Ind ( Reiss ) gain from SNP
    Ind R 1150 Ind S 593 SNP 546 Con 171 Ind I 128
  • Options
    Would there be technical problems with them standing? Perhaps so

Interesting Mick, do you think English voters would support a 'foreigner' even in the heartlands??

Surely there must be enough Islington based Oxford PPE graduates who are qualified or nationality grounds....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    What the No campaign needs is someone with charisma, who is good at public speaking, telegenic, and not afraid to ruffle a few feathers. Someone who will make the case for the Union in a way that the common man can empathise with.

His duties as Mayor of London never seem to get in the way of other commitments, so I'm sure he can spare a few days to save the Union.
  • Options
    Isn't the conversation on here indicative of the deep cracks in the Unionist campaign (not something that PB has cared to examine much until fairly recently)? Not only do the Unionist parties when wearing their Westminster hats tell everyone that'll listen that governance by the opposition has been/is/would be the most destructive, disastrous outcome possible, the main UK ruling party (the Cons for the avoidance of doubt) is electorally conflicted about the outcome of the referendum. Regardless of the dire quality of most of the current Unionist spokesmen, I think even a Churchill would find it difficult to square these circles, and trying to be objective I get very little sense that even the competent Unionist politicians really believe in much of what they're saying.
    Whatever you think of the Yes campaign (and it's not solely the SNP whatever folk on here like to say), it has unity of purpose.
  • Options
    Independant Scotland=Sinking ship..

No

Independent Scotland who gives a t*ss

yes.

Which is why we should give the Scots all the oil and keep all the debt. If you're gonna go, go. We don't want a generation of ar$ing about. You get on with it, and so will we.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Political, economic and financial debate across the previous UK will be dominated by the fall-out from divorce for a decade at least. ''

I think you seriously underestimate England's resilience. The response of the vast majority of rUK will be 'bovered', I'm off to work...

Of course, on a day to day basis people will just get on with life. But politically, economically and financially the consequences will be huge. How will the world view England, as opposed to the UK? How can we possibly justify a continued seat on the UN Security Council? What will our relationship be with NI and Wales, let alone Scotland? What will it mean for our relationship with the EU and the US? And so on.

All our major political parties have always worked on the assumption that they are British parties. They no longer will be. The Tories would just about have won a majority in 2010 without Scotland. That was against Brown and after 13 years of what had become a totally discredited Labour government. It is far from clear to me that they would be close to dominating politics in the rUK.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Labour never saw the possibility of the SNP grabbing a majority in the Scottish parliament, so it's not as if they don't have form on being complacent.

Labour have always seen Scotland as their own personal fiefdom...
    To be fair, I doubt there were many people anywhere who anticipated that in 1999. For any party to win an outright majority under PR is unusual (after all, Labour haven't managed it in Scotland - or Wales, for that matter, despite it being less proportional there). In the genuine four plus system in Scotland, bookies would have offered long odds against any party other than Labour winning an outright majority.
  • Options
    tim said:

If you developed a bacteria in a lab to repel Scots and women it would be very similar to Cameron and Osborne.
    Keep them away for Gods sake

Why not send calamity Clegg then? :)

*chortle*

The most bizarre thing about Clegg's utter incompetence in appointing the buffoon Carmichael is that the lib dems are currently an afterthought in scotland with a mere taxi full of MSPs and their activist base melting away. In other words the ideal time to have Carmichael joining Clegg's other yes man Rennie aboard the sinking ship. I think it's safe to assume Clegg is as hopeless at tactics as ever and would prefer to appease his whip rather than put someone competent in place. To be fair it's not as if Clegg seems to care much anymore and all that seems to matter to him is keeping the ostrich faction around him happy and oblivious as the carnage of 2015 gets ever closer.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    IMO the Scottish referendum could well be one of those issues in which the electorate's mind is made up well in advance and the campaign between now and next September will not have much impact.

Consider, for example, the 1987 general election. The Labour campaign was streets ahead of the Tores in terms of presentation and style but the voters took no notice because they had already decided that the policy programme on offer was unacceptable. More recently, in 2005, the Labour campaign was a complete shambles from beginning to end but they still won because voters were unwilling to trust the Tories. The quality of the campaigns did not influence the voters on either occasion.

Scottish independence has been hovering around as a possibility for many years. The voters have had a long time to think about it and most of them seem to have well-formed and pretty definite opinions about it. There has been very little sign that these opinions have changed much over the past few years and it's not likely that the campaigns will have much influence.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

I assure you that, just in the way Rifkind was parachuted into a safe seat for the tories down south, scottish labour MPs would be elbowing their way to the front of the queue should they cease to have a seat in scotland. I can think of several who would jump at the chance to do so. Of course places will be limited so there's going to be a cull but most of the same 'big beasts' who have shown zero interest in standing for the scottish parliament all this time will not easily forsake their westminster ambitions and lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

Would there be technical problems with them standing? Perhaps so, but they have shown remarkable 'flexibility' in the past to overcome mere technical obstructions to their ambitions.
    To be fair to Rifkind, he could have easily chicken-runned in 2001 but didn't and stayed to fight and lose Pentlands a second time, showing a loyalty many others wouldn't have.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

How will the world view England, as opposed to the UK? How can we possibly justify a continued seat on the UN Security Council?

Why should anything change? It didn't change for France when it mislaid Algeria, or indeed for the UK when we rapidly shed an empire in the fifties and sixties.

Scotland is 8% of the UK by population. Its independence would not change our position on the world stage at all.
  • Options

Isn't the conversation on here indicative of the deep cracks in the Unionist campaign (not something that PB has cared to examine much until fairly recently)? Not only do the Unionist parties when wearing their Westminster hats tell everyone that'll listen that governance by the opposition has been/is/would be the most destructive, disastrous outcome possible, the main UK ruling party (the Cons for the avoidance of doubt) is electorally conflicted about the outcome of the referendum. Regardless of the dire quality of most of the current Unionist spokesmen, I think even a Churchill would find it difficult to square these circles, and trying to be objective I get very little sense that even the competent Unionist politicians really believe in much of what they're saying.
    Whatever you think of the Yes campaign (and it's not solely the SNP whatever folk on here like to say), it has unity of purpose.

Equally I think you'll find most Unionists find it hard to believe that even the competent Nationalist politicians believe what they're saying. Particularly on the issue of Sterling, which is proving to be the Nationalist's Achilles heel .
  • Options

Ah, but the indy polls show a lead for No so why worry? Scottish Labour certainly didn't seem worried when they had double digit leads for the 2011 scottish elections. So there is no danger whatsoever of the incredible complaceny tories ascribe to SLAB and labour being repeated by them on here.

:)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

To be fair to Rifkind, he could have easily chicken-runned in 2001 but didn't and stayed to fight and lose Pentlands a second time, showing a loyalty many others wouldn't have.
    I merely pointed out the reality that ambitious politicians accustomed to the westminster way of life will likely find a way. Lest you think scottish labour would be alone I think it quite possible a few (those that are left) scottish lib dems might do the same.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scotland is 8% of the UK by population. Its independence would not change our position on the world stage at all.

If the ONS are correct the UK without Scotland will have a bigger population by 2030 than we do now with Scotland.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

I merely pointed out the reality that ambitious politicians accustomed to the westminster way of life will likely find a way. Lest you think scottish labour would be alone I think it quite possible a few (those that are left) scottish lib dems might do the same.
    A few current senior labour politicans might, but what about 10/15 years down the line? At that point in time, the two will become very separate in structure and culture, so it just won't happen.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2013
    Could politicalbetting.com get a copy editor to scan threads before they are published?
  • Options

How will the world view England, as opposed to the UK? How can we possibly justify a continued seat on the UN Security Council?

Why should anything change? It didn't change for France when it mislaid Algeria, or indeed for the UK when we rapidly shed an empire in the fifties and sixties.

We will need to make that argument long and hard. Losing 8% of your population and a large part of your land mass is a pretty big deal. We have the position we have globally mainly because of our history. Scotland leaving the UK draws a line under that. It will be hugely symbolic and will present many big countries with an opportunity to argue that everything has changed. As SeanT constantly reminds us, even as it is the relative economic and financial power of the UK is on the wane.
  • Options

Our population would be around where the UK was in the mid to late nineties....Algeria was proportionately a much bigger population loss to France than Scotland will be to rUK....
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

A few current senior labour politicans might, but what about 10/15 years down the line? At that point in time, the two will become very separate in structure and culture, so it just won't happen.
    The problem with that is that the scottish branches of Labour, the lib dems and the tories are being run and have been run by westminster remote control for decades. The shock to the system of them having to completely decouple would be profound but it would also be inevitable and necessary. So yes, after a period of time (as you say a decade or two) those links might have severed completely but they will not be severed easily and in the interim Labour would be even more schizophrenic than usual with infighting and a backlash that would likely overshadow anything we have seen thus far.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Equally I think you'll find most Unionists find it hard to believe that even the competent Nationalist politicians believe what they're saying. Particularly on the issue of Sterling, which is proving to be the Nationalist's Achilles heel .
    Looks like it would be tough for the Scots if they choose independence:
    1. The US will veto their membership of NATO.
    2. The UK Treasury will veto the use of Sterling.
    3. Spain will veto their automatic right to be part of the EU.

• Options
    SeanT said:

The UK's seat will be gone in 20 years, no matter what we do (my guess is it will absorbed into a European seat, along with that of France).
    Probably - but we won't go until the French go, and good luck with that.

France's loss of Algeria was proportionately twice as large as Scotland's loss to rUK....
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Labour don't really have that many Big Scottish Beasts these days. Sadly some like Smith, Cook and Dewar died young. After that you're looking at Darling, Brown and Murphy who have all been involved to varying degrees.

I go back to the point that the No side continues to lead. They must be doing something right, I don't see the point in a big change of personnel at this stage.
    That raises an interesting question: what's happened to the Scottish Labour machine that used to produce so many top-level politicians? I know Brown crushed any potential opposition at Westminster but was he equally happy to squash emerging talent in his own back yard, or is it that devolution has distracted some of Labour's talents (who?!), or is it a deeper malaise within the machine?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That is absolutely ridiculous. Our Security Council Seat is already looking faintly ludicrous, as we are economically overtaken by vastly bigger countries (e.g. Brazil, India). Why should we have a seat and not them? Or Japan? Or Germany? Or Indonesia?

It's daft and unsustainable.

The UK's seat will be gone in 20 years, no matter what we do (my guess is it will absorbed into a European seat, along with that of France). But if we are instantly shorn of 10% of our GDP and a quarter of our landmass that process will be accelerated. We will be a smaller, weaker country, and that dwindling will be evident to everyone.

Yes, indeed. And that will have a huge impact on the Conservative and Unionist psyche. It will be right-leaning posters pm here that will disagree with you about the above and who will insist that nothing will change.

• Options

SeanT said:

The UK's seat will be gone in 20 years, no matter what we do (my guess is it will absorbed into a European seat, along with that of France).

France's loss of Algeria was proportionately twice as large as Scotland's loss to rUK....
    The alternative is that everyone ignores the Security Council and the countries that matter have their own meetings instead.
  • Options
    @HouseofCommons: MPs approve #EU Referendum Bill third reading without division. The Bill now progresses to the House of Lords http://goo.gl/FKug0r

What happened to the Labour/Lib Dem filibuster?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That is absolutely ridiculous. Our Security Council Seat is already looking faintly ludicrous, as we are economically overtaken by vastly bigger countries (e.g. Brazil, India). Why should we have a seat and not them? Or Japan? Or Germany? Or Indonesia?

It's daft and unsustainable.

It may well be daft, but it's certainly sustainable, for the very simple reason that there is absolutely no mechanism whatsoever for it to change. Quite apart from the fact that we, the US and France all have a veto on any changes, there is no possibility of the rest of the world agreeing amongst themselves a new structure, still less of them agreeing amongst themselves that (say) Japan should have permanent seat on the security council.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Point 1 is I think a non-issue.
    Point 2 is a big issue. I'm sure Scotland could retain Sterling but not on the entirely favourable basis the SNP proposes.
    Point 3. Bit of an issue but not one I think people get that excited about.

On a wider point I don't really see why the No campaign are being accused of complacency. There doing a good job so far, I'm not entirely sure what else people think they should be doing at this stage.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The UK would still have about 60 million people without Scotland because the population of England is increasing so quickly.
  • Options
    We will be a smaller, weaker country, and that dwindling will be evident to everyone.

Maybe. But potentially a very, very wealthy one. A sort of mega Switzerland.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    One of the many absurdites in the "White Paper" was the idea of the SBC. The BBC is an organisation incorporated by Royal Charter based in London with its own corporate personality. It owns properties in Scotland but these properties belong to it, not the government or the taxpayer.

On what basis is the Scottish government going to seize these assets? How are they going to pay for them? Can the rUK government even reach an agreement on this sort of dissolution? Would (at the risk of all of an English tory's christmases coming at once) it be necessary to dissolve the BBC?

There are many, many such practical problems which arise when a country has been a unity for 300 years. The dissolution of the recent invention of Czechoslovakia apparently took several hundred arbitrations which might be good news for lawyers I suppose. To say that such a dissolution would not completely dominate the political and economic landscape of the British Isles for a very long time to come seems wildly optimistic to me.
  • Options
    taffys said:

We will be a smaller, weaker country, and that dwindling will be evident to everyone.

Maybe. But potentially a very, very wealthy one. A sort of mega Switzerland.

England? Nah. An independent London, possibly.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That raises an interesting question: what's happened to the Scottish Labour machine that used to produce so many top-level politicians? I know Brown crushed any potential opposition at Westminster but was he equally happy to squash emerging talent in his own back yard, or is it that devolution has distracted some of Labour's talents (who?!), or is it a deeper malaise within the machine?
    I don't think it's even a particularly Labour, or indeed Scottish thing, generally I don't think we have the same calibre of politician as in even say the early 1990s. Personally I think it has much to do with the rise of the professional class of politicians with little real work-life experience.
  • Options

SeanT said:

The alternative is that everyone ignores the Security Council and the countries that matter have their own meetings instead.
    And the Security Council vetoes them anyway.....

• Options
    tim said:

After a combative first half where the badgers moved the goalposts the black and whites took to the pitch and immediately netted from the restart

Badgers 2 Fops 0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/10483685/Badger-cull-halted-due-to-low-kill-rates.html

Are the badgers still insisting on moving about unhelpfully? Why must they taunt the fops in this impudent manner? It's unsporting.
  • Options

perdix said:

Point 2 is a big issue. I'm sure Scotland could retain Sterling but not on the entirely favourable basis the SNP proposes.

On a wider point I don't really see why the No campaign are being accused of complacency. There doing a good job so far, I'm not entirely sure what else people think they should be doing at this stage.
    Ask yourself who is accusing the No campaign of complacency. The wish may well be the father of the comment. (Of course, if yes *is* being complacent, it doesn't say much for No given the current polling).
  • Options

@HouseofCommons: MPs approve #EU Referendum Bill third reading without division. The Bill now progresses to the House of Lords http://goo.gl/FKug0r

What happened to the Labour/Lib Dem filibuster?

I imagine it will move down the corridor.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I'm in Tel-Aviv and glad to forget british politics for a few days . However, I can't help seeing that UKIP keeps piling up the vote., Well in most places, Lambeth not being one of them. :^)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

SeanT said:

France's loss of Algeria was a deeply traumatic event which led to the fall of the 4th republic and, for a time, the threat of civil insurrection in metropolitan France by the OAS, which made several attempts to assassinate De Gaulle. The break up of the UK might not be so violent but it would certainly lead to the fall of whichever government was in power at the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    AndyJS said:

The UK would still have about 60 million people without Scotland because the population of England is increasing so quickly.

Yep,don't you think this will change the immigration in debate in England,less land mass to choose from but more people.

• Options

SeanT said:

And the Security Council vetoes them anyway.....

They can veto what they like, powerful countries hardly take any notice even now, even ones that are actually on the Security Council. The Security Council only means anything to the extent that its members actually have the power to enforce what happens on the ground.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It is quite possible that we will see some movement of Scots trying to escape before Independence. That will affect the population balance too.
  • Options

perdix said:

Ask yourself who is accusing the No campaign of complacency. The wish may well be the father of the comment. (Of course, if yes *is* being complacent, it doesn't say much for No given the current polling).
    Confident in the No ground campaign are you? I suggest you look at the SLAB membership and the size of any No rallies compared to Yes before doing so. If you think the Yes campaign are leaving everything to a few talking heads, like Darling or Carmichael spouting the precise same things they have been for years on the media, then you don't know just how hard it was to fight to get first a minority administration then a majority one against labour in some of their very strongest heartlands against an almost wholly hostile press.
  • Options

You're confusing primary purpose with possible consequences. Yes isn't campaigning fundamentally to get in a currency union, just as BT doesn't really think the pound is the be all and end all of being in the UK (though one might be forgiven for thinking so after the amount of hot air expelled on the subject). I'm talking about believing heart and intellect that Scotland is better governing itself than being governed by Westminster.

Unionists are certainly desperately eager to make currency into an Achilles heel, but the last proper Indy poll had 13% of the respondees saying that they needed more info on currency, I think about fifth down the list of their concerns. Kippery agonising about the EU, the pound, immigration and the greatness of Britain just don't have the same salience in Scotland.
  • Options
    How will citizenship work if Scotland votes Yes? Anyone know?

Would Scots living outside Scotland become English? Would all current UK passport holders be entitled to have rUK citizenship? Would English in Scotland lose rUK citizenship? If we split this area is going to be a gigantic mess, a mega clusterfu<k and christmas for lawyers.
  • Options
    London going independent makes far more sense than Scotland going independent. London is far richer and far more detached from the rest of the UK's economy.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

London going independent makes far more sense than Scotland going independent. London is far richer and far more detached from the rest of the UK's economy.

Can we have the south east as an enclave?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Would Scots living outside Scotland become English? Would all current UK passport holders be entitled to have rUK citizenship? Would English in Scotland lose rUK citizenship? If we split this area is going to be a gigantic mess, a mega clusterfu

The UK allows dual citizenship, and I'd imagine Scotland would as well, in which case a lot of people would get both. It would would be good to have insurance against England leaving the EU.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeK said:

I'm in Tel-Aviv and glad to forget british politics for a few days . However, I can't help seeing that UKIP keeps piling up the vote., Well in most places, Lambeth not being one of them. :^)

No todays populus....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    You know, in the long run, both political parties and voters get accustomed to the new order. Otherwise, Israel would forever get a Labour government and likewise, Congress, in India. People do not like one party rule. Even after 13 years of Labour rule and the deepest worldwide financial recession since the thirties, the Tories would have got a majority in single figures in England in 2010 !!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    SeanT said:

In other words: he wants a significantly different immigration policy to that of rUK.

This means there would have to be a frontier between England and Scotland

Why? Ireland operates a different immigration policy to that of the UK but there is no frontier between the Republic and the North.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Would Scots living outside Scotland become English? Would all current UK passport holders be entitled to have rUK citizenship? Would English in Scotland lose rUK citizenship? If we split this area is going to be a gigantic mess, a mega clusterfu

Scotland's Future did go into details on this. It is quite inclusive about who can become Scots (for example, my Australian born niece & nephew, via their Scottish father, should they so wish.) The proposals are (like the UK) also relaxed about dual nationality - something other countries are not.

Current UK citizens could not be stripped of their citizenship, and their children, born in Scotland would also be rUK citizens.

So Scots living outside Scotland could hold both Scottish and UK passports.

What is unknown is what would happen to Scots born to Scottish parents in Scotland - there must be a good chance they would not get a UK passport - but why would they want one?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Any UK citizen will remain, by right, an UK citizen. There will still be a United Kingdom.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

antifrank said:

Rumour has it David Cameron is considering changing his name via deed poll to David Longshanks.
    LOL!

He could give a speech in which he proclaims himself to be Malleus Scotorum, and reveals that he plans to replace the Scottish Parliament with a Cromwellian type of military government.

• Options

AndyJS said:

It is quite possible that we will see some movement of Scots trying to escape before Independence. That will affect the population balance too.
    They won't get job seekers allowance for three months if the Tories have any say. Also, they could come under the non-EU quota !!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

One other thing: Salmond says he wants more immigrants into Scotland, and a more liberal approach to students, non EU migrants, etc

"Immigration policy would see the greatest shake-up, with an independent Scotland taking a more liberal stance in contrast to the “aggressive approach” of Westminster. Restrictions on overseas students remaining after completing their studies would be eased. A point-based system for immigration based on skills would be introduced alongside a reduction in the income threshold and minimum salary levels required for immigrants."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/white-paper-how-independence-will-change-scotland-1-3209916

In other words: he wants a significantly different immigration policy to that of rUK.

This means there would have to be a frontier between England and Scotland, otherwise their more liberal immigration policy would make a mockery of ours, as people could just walk over the non-existent border.

Passport checks and customs controls at Berwick on Tweed? This is explicitly what the SNP promised would NOT happen.

I'm not sure that's right - how much of the UK's immigration policy is premised on not being able to get into the country at all? The system seems to be that you can enter the country fairly easily for tourism or short-term study, but you have to promise to leave.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    SeanT said:

A unique case.

Until Scotland became independent obviously.
    SeanT said:

There would have to be a frontier.

No there wouldnt, for the same reason there isnt a frontier along the land border between the Republic of Ireland and the UK.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Patrick said:

Any UK citizen will remain, by right, an UK citizen. There will still be a United Kingdom.
    That would be fun, presumably as soon as Scotland became independent, it wouldn't officially have any citizens...

Can you have assumed citizenship put upon you, as presumably Scottish residents would have upon independence?
This discussion has been closed.