Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Long-Bailey gets boost in the Corbyn successor betting after t

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    RobD said:

EPG said:

I'd also say someone really interested in critical thought about their country, as oppose to partisanship one way or the other, would ask why opinions about Johnson and in his day Cameron were constructed to be so much more positive that Corbyn, Miliband, Brown and even Clegg, anyone who was a meaningful threat.

Those opinions weren't "constructed" at all, certainly not in the case of Corbyn. Since Britain has always been in essence a centre-right country, the further left the politician, the more they are by definition in opposition to the country's millennium-old character. Corbyn wanted to overturn pretty much every part of the UK's existing social and economic structure, and didn't have a single good word to say about any of it. That fact was not lost on the voters.

What a load of dross. Boris won by going economically further to the left than Cameron.
    Is tilting to the left on investment a fundamental challenge to the country's character? No, it isn't. Corbyn went far left on both economics and culture, and got creamed as a result.
    I’m not disputing that Corbyn got creamed but your mad assertions about Britain being a “right wing” country and nonsense about “national character” is just dross.

Remember only 42.5% voted Tory.
    Actually 43.6% - the highest vote share for any party since the Blessed Margaret's first victory in 1979 :smiley:
    Just rejoice at that news. :D
    Doesn’t change that the assertion that Britain is inherently “right wing” is dross.

Your party does not represent the majority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    edited January 2020

isam said:

isam said:

It might disappoint Tory Eurosceptics but the vast majority of Brexit voters probably couldn’t care less
    So what on earth do they care about?
    Mass immigration’s effect on the British labour market
    I mean that’s nonsense but OK. Blyth for example is 99% white. “Mass immigration“ has had no effect on the labour market there.
    I’d say the vast majority of EU immigrants are also white, it’s not about skin colour

Never mind, it’s over now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

HYUFD said:

isam said:

It might disappoint Tory Eurosceptics but the vast majority of Brexit voters probably couldn’t care less
    Ending free movement and replacing it with a points system and we will still be leaving the Single Market and Customs Union regardless
    Yawn.
    Not sure what made you yawn about HYUFD's post. I thought immigration was one of the main motivations for voting Leave.
  • Options
    Quite, biggest idiots in the country are Southerners who think a Brummie accent is a Northern accent.

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1214176076806660096
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

RobD said:

EPG said:

I'd also say someone really interested in critical thought about their country, as oppose to partisanship one way or the other, would ask why opinions about Johnson and in his day Cameron were constructed to be so much more positive that Corbyn, Miliband, Brown and even Clegg, anyone who was a meaningful threat.

Those opinions weren't "constructed" at all, certainly not in the case of Corbyn. Since Britain has always been in essence a centre-right country, the further left the politician, the more they are by definition in opposition to the country's millennium-old character. Corbyn wanted to overturn pretty much every part of the UK's existing social and economic structure, and didn't have a single good word to say about any of it. That fact was not lost on the voters.

What a load of dross. Boris won by going economically further to the left than Cameron.
    Is tilting to the left on investment a fundamental challenge to the country's character? No, it isn't. Corbyn went far left on both economics and culture, and got creamed as a result.
    I’m not disputing that Corbyn got creamed but your mad assertions about Britain being a “right wing” country and nonsense about “national character” is just dross.

Actually 43.6% - the highest vote share for any party since the Blessed Margaret's first victory in 1979 :smiley:
    Doesn’t change that the assertion that Britain is inherently “right wing” is dross.

Apart from 2015, when they voted UKIP, the median voter almost always votes LD but we are not a LD country either
  • Options

RobD said:

EPG said:

It's more right than left. When was the last time there was a left-wing government?
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Ending free movement and replacing it with a points system and we will still be leaving the Single Market and Customs Union regardless
    Yawn.
    Not sure what made you yawn about HYUFD's post. I thought immigration was one of the main motivations for voting Leave.
    I’m not disputing that fear of immigration was.

Doesn’t mean HYFUD’s post isn’t the same relentless drivel of meaningless soundbites.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yawn.
    He’s fucking boring?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I mean that’s nonsense but OK. Blyth for example is 99% white. “Mass immigration“ has had no effect on the labour market there.
    Ah yes. 1 fact and you crumble.
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yawn.
    He’s fucking boring?
    Yawn.

Am I doing this right? ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Apart from 2015, when they voted UKIP, the median voter almost always votes LD but we are not a LD country either
    Literally irrelevant.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ah yes. 1 fact and you crumble.
    Yeah ok you win!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yawn.
    He’s fucking boring?
    Yawn.

Am I doing this right? ;)
    Of course not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

It's more right than left. When was the last time there was a left-wing government?
    What government we end up with is a product of our electoral system. It is no comment on the “nature” of the country. I’m not saying that Britain is left-wing either.

I’m just saying that to loudly proclaim that Labour lost because the country is inherently right-wing is wishful thinking at best.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Literally irrelevant.
    No absolutely relevant, the Tories may not have got over 50% of the vote since 1931 but then Labour has never got over 50% of the vote
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

What government we end up with is a product of our electoral system. It is no comment on the “nature” of the country. I’m not saying that Britain is left-wing either.

I’m just saying that to loudly proclaim that Labour lost because the country is inherently right-wing is wishful thinking at best.
    Well they said inherently center-right, which I think is believable judging by how rarely left-wing governments have been elected in the past.
  • Options
    @isam over 98% of Blyth is white and born in the UK. Fear of immigration maybe motivated voters there but it was just that, an irrational fear.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Well they said inherently center-right, which I think is believable judging by how rarely left-wing governments have been elected in the past.
    What government we end up with is a product of our electoral system. It is evidence of nothing else. In 2019 Lib + Lab was higher than Con. That would suggest 2019 Britain is centre-left no?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Literally irrelevant.
    No absolutely relevant, the Tories may not have got over 50% of the vote since 1931 but then Labour has never got over 50% of the vote
    Another irrelevant fact.
  • Options
    Go Boris! I bet he'll screw the Leavers over immigration too, perhaps by opening the floodgates from South America and Asia. Send 'em to Sedgefield and give the natives some genuine reasons to weep in their chip papers.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Literally irrelevant.
    Another irrelevant fact.
    Absolutely relevant, in fact you have to go back to 1880 to find a non Tory Party which got over 50% of the vote, the Liberals under Lord Hartington
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Literally irrelevant.
    Another irrelevant fact.
    Absolutely relevant in fact you have to go back to 1880 to find a non Tory Party which got over 50% of the vote, the Liberals under Lord Hartington
    Why are you talking about a party getting over 50% of the vote? Nobody else is.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Those opinions weren't "constructed" at all, certainly not in the case of was not lost on the voters.

What government we end up with is a product of our electoral system. It is evidence of nothing else. In 2019 Lib + Lab was higher than Con. That would suggest 2019 Britain is centre-left no?
    Given from 2010 to 2015 the Liberals were in coalition with the Tories, no
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

@isam over 98% of Blyth is white and born in the UK. Fear of immigration maybe motivated voters there but it was just that, an irrational fear.

Crikey, a percentage point knocked off the Blyth white population in 10 minutes! (though what skin colour has to do with EU migrations effect on the British labour market is beyond me)
  • Options
    Just popped in - noted lots of pointless point scoring and argy bargy

I think I will sit this out for now
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    dodrade said:

Yvette who? She was the future once!
    It is a terrible waste. As Hodges says, easily the best person to be leader. Streets ahead of anyone else imho.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1214261588099817472
    No , because she doesn't want it, she never wanted it.

She was never prepared to fight for it.
    Source?
    She went on holiday in the middle of the 2015 leadership election. If you really, really want the job, you don't do that.

Keith Starmer is not making plans for a holiday in March !!

I believe Yvette has suffered from ME in the past. Perhaps that has shaken her confidence, or perhaps she has always doubted her abilities. Whatever, she doesn't want the job now, and she never wanted it.
    She really should have stood in 2010 instead of her husband.
    She is also absolute crap.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Crikey, a percentage point knocked off the Blyth white population in 10 minutes! (though what skin colour has to do with EU migrations effect on the British labour market is beyond me)
    What are you arguing here?

Blyth is 98% born in the UK. It has negligible EU immigration. It is a white supremacists wet dream. I should know: I used to work there.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Those opinions weren't "constructed" at all, certainly not in the case of was not lost on the voters.

Given from 2010 to 2015 the Liberals were in coalition with the Tories, no
    Exactly. Its disputed. Therefore the assertion that Britain’s national character is right-wing is just dross.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

EPG said:

Centre-right
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Blyth is 98% born in the UK. It has negligible EU immigration. It is a white supremacists wet dream. I should know: I used to work there.
    Good for you. I had no idea until tonight that the ‘vast majority of Brexit voters’ lived in Blyth.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Good for you. I had no idea until tonight that the ‘vast majority of Brexit voters’ lived in Blyth.
    Blyth Valley is the poster child for the “red wall” crumbling “due to Brexit”.

It’s telling that you know nothing about it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited January 2020
    Amazingly the DoD are now saying the letter was a draft, and releasing it was a mistake, but it apparently did get to the Iraqis, who then confirmed its receipt to news agencies like AFP and Reuters.

SNAFU
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Blyth Valley is the poster child for the “red wall” crumbling “due to Brexit”.

It’s telling that you know nothing about it.
    Yes, “ok” I can’t be bothered “to bicker” about it.
  • Options
    Are there any good films on now?

What channel?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    glw said:

Amazingly the DoD are now saying the letter was a draft, and releasing it was a mistake, but it apparently did get to the Iraqis, who then confirmed its receipt to news agencies like AFP and Reuters.

SNAFU

That is beyond SNAFU. We are at FUBAR now.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

What channel?

Get Carter on ITV 4 :)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

What channel?

Get Carter on ITV 4 :)
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Iran and the US have something rather significant and dangerous in common: in both cases, the shifting power struggles within the government and military, and the disconnect between the formal structures and where power lies, make it hard to tell who is actually running things, if indeed anyone is.
  • Options

Iran and the US have something rather significant and dangerous in common: in both cases, the shifting power struggles within the government and military, and the disconnect between the formal structures and where power lies, make it hard to tell who is actually running things, if indeed anyone is.

Rather profound and very worrying if that is true of the USA.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Rosena Allin-Khan has announced that she is entering the Deputy Leader contest.
  • Options

Interesting. She could very well get my vote.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Learned absolutely nothing since December 12th 2019.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

Rather profound and very worrying if that is true of the USA.
    We went past ‘if’ some time back.
  • Options

glw said:

SNAFU

No, it’s now SNAFUBAR.
  • Options

She has several admirers. Not all them strictly for her political skills.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    "It is true that one reason we lost the election was that Labour’s campaign lacked a coherent narrative. But this was a failure of campaign strategy, not of our socialist programme."

Milne and Murphy thrown under the bus.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Learned absolutely nothing since December 12th 2019.
    Bourbon.
  • Options

Fair.
    No reason for you to get involved in the US/Iran scrap, Big_G.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Go Boris! I bet he'll screw the Leavers over immigration too, perhaps by opening the floodgates from South America and Asia. Send 'em to Sedgefield and give the natives some genuine reasons to weep in their chip papers.
    I think the key phrases in this articles are "he believes" and "above his pay grade". In other words, he doesn't know and he doesn't even pretend he really knows. I appreciate there is value to the personal thoughts of someone with some access/insight to Johnson, but we shouldn't take it too seriously. He isn't even an aide on trade.
  • Options

"It is true that one reason we lost the election was that Labour’s campaign lacked a coherent narrative. But this was a failure of campaign strategy, not of our socialist programme."

It's a well-established tradition of the Stalinist left that after any setback a few apparatchiks get shot, and of course they are expected to be grateful for the opportunity to make by their sacrifice one last contribution to The Cause.
  • Options

Well that would be a positive start.

She strikes me as being far too ambitious to be ideological. I don't like her.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fair.
    No reason for you to get involved in the US/Iran scrap, Big_G.
    I was not really referring to this international crisis which is madness from all sides
  • Options
    I’ll say one thing for the Labour leadership battle, it’s an interesting field. Could be quite a compelling contest.
  • Options

I’ll say one thing for the Labour leadership battle, it’s an interesting field. Could be quite a compelling contest.

If RLB wins it will be more than compelling
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    It needs the Metro in an ideal world.
  • Options
    Made you look.

Sorry for the typo.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Made you look.

Sorry for the typo.
    I am always interested in re-opening rail lines, even better if steam trains are used !!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

SNAFU

No, it’s now SNAFUBAR.
    That bad?
  • Options
    RBL piece is LOL:

"I haven’t rushed to announce my candidacy because I wanted to take time to reflect following the devastating results in December. I didn’t emerge from the election with a ready-made leadership campaign because my every effort during the election went into campaigning for a Labour victory. I’m not driven by personal ambition, but by my principles and an unwavering desire to change our country and our world for the better."

• Options
    In other, more important news, the winter Love Island cast has been announced this evening.
  • Options
    RBL: "There is nothing our movement cannot achieve. I truly believe that. "

Except winning elections.
  • Options
    Long-Bailey doesn't appear to consider that antisemitism damaged voters' trust in the Labour Party.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/01/rebecca-long-bailey-labour-leadership-socialism
  • Options

In other, more important news, the winter Love Island cast has been announced this evening.

Has RBL decided whether she will do it or not yet?
  • Options
    RBL:

"We have a mountain to climb comrades..."

Only because your members choose to elect Corbyn twice instead of someone who could be PM.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Made you look.

Sorry for the typo.
    I am always interested in re-opening rail lines, even better if steam trains are used !!
    Nah, re-opened rail lines are always easier to "do" if they're part of the National Rail network. Most heritage railways are closed from January to March!
  • Options
    Just checked back in to discover that Rebecca Large-Baileys is doing Love Island this year. What are her odds?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    I think it's got to be worth £25 to sign up and vote for her if it's looking any way close.

My home is in a solid London Labour constituency where my vote is effectively meaningless and voting for Long Bailey is a far more effective way of ensuring the Tories stay in power than casting my vote at the next election.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Made you look.

Sorry for the typo.
    Nah, re-opened rail lines are always easier to "do" if they're part of the National Rail network. Most heritage railways are closed from January to March!
    I agree with you Sunil.

Just being nostalgic but reopening some branch lines is an excellent idea
  • Options

Just checked back in to discover that Rebecca Large-Baileys is doing Love Island this year. What are her odds?

Love's Labour's Lost the Election Island?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

glw said:

SNAFU

No, it’s now SNAFUBAR.
    That bad?
    Worse.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Long-Bailey doesn't appear to consider that antisemitism damaged voters' trust in the Labour Party.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/01/rebecca-long-bailey-labour-leadership-socialism

Yep. The only problem was something called "campaign strategy", which I guess means the clusterf**k shambles that Murphy and Milne ran.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I think it's got to be worth £25 to sign up and vote for her if it's looking any way close.

My home is in a solid London Labour constituency where my vote is effectively meaningless and voting for Long Bailey is a far more effective way of ensuring the Tories stay in power than casting my vote at the next election.
    Don't forget you will only have 48 hours.
  • Options

• Options

Has RBL decided whether she will do it or not yet?

Depends if Keir and Jess couple up early.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

That’s a twattery of the highest order. Trying to game the election of a rival party is a deeply uncivic act.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Don't forget you will only have 48 hours.
    Don’t encourage the prat
  • Options
    Lavery backs RLB
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Made you look.

Sorry for the typo.
    I agree with you Sunil.

Just being nostalgic but reopening some branch lines is an excellent idea
    Just by chance, discovered the Princes Risborough & Chinnor Railway was open on New Year's Day, my first addition for 2020, albeit less than 5 miles! It won't re-open to the public till March...
  • Options

Seems rather short for her to win Love Island. Do Manc blondes have a good track record on the show? (I tried to watch it once but couldn’t grasp the rules)
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Lavery backs RLB

Rebecca has always been the People’s candidate.
  • Options

Seems rather short for her to win Love Island. Do Manc blondes have a good track record on the show? (I tried to watch it once but couldn’t grasp the rules)
    Blondes don’t tend to win actually. Normally brunettes.
  • Options

Lavery backs RLB

A relief that he won’t stand. A truly nightmarish potential candidate from the macho bully boy union left.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

kyf_100 said:

That’s a twattery of the highest order. Trying to game the election of a rival party is a deeply uncivic act.
    Why?

I've voted Conservative in the last three elections in a rock solid Labour inner city London seat and my vote hasn't meant a damn thing.

For the small fee of £25, I have the opportunity to influence the next election in a direction I desire. Which is more than the electoral roll gives me.

There's no law against it and for all I know Labour will be glad of my twenty five quid. Rebecca Long Bailey will certainly be glad of the vote.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Why?

I've voted Conservative in the last three elections in a rock solid Labour inner city London seat and my vote hasn't meant a damn thing.

For the small fee of £25, I have the opportunity to influence the next election in a direction I desire. Which is more than the electoral roll gives me.

There's no law against it and for all I know Labour will be glad of my twenty five quid. Rebecca Long Bailey will certainly be glad of the vote.
    You wont be laughing when a series of events with a non-zero chance of happening leads to the election of Prime Minister RLB.

Corbyn came close in 2017.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Why?

Well meaningless votes is a fact of life for much of the country under FPP. Am I expected to pity you?

Remember we came within a whisker of a Corbyn government in 2017 - presumably not the intention of your true blue brethren who snivelingly helped carry him to the leadership?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Why?

You wont be laughing when a series of events with a non-zero chance of happening leads to the election of Prime Minister RLB.

That's true, but it doesn't seem uncivic, merely risky for the person involved as they might contribute to an outcome they don't like later.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Why?

55 seats short, I think you mean.
    (or, if you prefer, just 4 more seats than won by Gordon in 2010)
  • Options

Blondes don’t tend to win actually. Normally brunettes.
    Interesting.

Presumably it’s an unfriendly climate for redheads?
  • Options
    "There is nothing our movement cannot achieve. I truly believe that. "

But I would have previously furiously denied that we were creating a mountain in the first place.
  • Options

Lavery backs RLB

A relief that he won’t stand. A truly nightmarish potential candidate from the macho bully boy union left.
    There was a theory there was never any intention he would stand, just that the suggestion he might would make RLB look better by comparison. Whether that theory is true or not, it worked.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

RBL:

"..... and we're going to try and climb it exactly the same way as we did last time, when we reached a cliff face and fell off."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Er, no. The programme was crap as well.
  • Options
    The risible Cole looks and acts exactly like a leftie’s stereotype of a Tory boy.

As for Yvette, there’s not a single shred of evidence she is motivated to be leader. I’m generally a fan, but she’s becoming a bit of a queen over the water.
This discussion has been closed.