Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four weeks to go until Iowa and the oldest two contenders domi

2»

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,098

matt said:

matt said:

An excellent Times Red Box article from Lisa Nandy this morning indicating the depth of her thinking and ability to think differently.

...but she is still a lightweight. Starmer is the only serious candidate that Labour have to offer at the moment who stands a chance, which is probably why they will not elect him.
    Nonsense- when she says, “ No one would begrudge Mr Johnson a holiday, but given the magnitude of recent developments and the nebulous position of the UK on the international stage, the PM should by now have recalled parliament to set out what steps the government will take to protect the safety of our serving personnel, and have outlined what steps he is taking to try to defuse the mounting tensions between the US and Iran.”,

one can only agree that recalling MPs to allow them to share their insight and intelligence on a subject where many (if not most) of them have a mastery of the subject is a natural and obvious step forward. Diplomacy is best served by sharing one’s thoughts widely rather than behind the curtain efforts.

She still comes across as a lightweight. Very nice, but, like Jo Swinson, a lightweight and not PM material. Of the potential women candidates there is only Emily Thornberry and Yvette Cooper who have gravitas for the role, neither of whom appear to stand a chance.
    Didn’t people say that about Thatcher prior to her election?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

An excellent Times Red Box article from Lisa Nandy this morning indicating the depth of her thinking and ability to think differently.

...but she is still a lightweight. Starmer is the only serious candidate that Labour have to offer at the moment who stands a chance, which is probably why they will not elect him.
    On the Yougov Labour members poll they will elect him
    Yes, if it is correct. I hope it is. I would like to see a return to having a decent and effective opposition to drag the Tories back to the centre ground.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2020

matt said:

matt said:

Nonsense- when she says, “ No one would begrudge Mr Johnson a holiday, but given the magnitude of recent developments and the nebulous position of the UK on the international stage, the PM should by now have recalled parliament to set out what steps the government will take to protect the safety of our serving personnel, and have outlined what steps he is taking to try to defuse the mounting tensions between the US and Iran.”,

one can only agree that recalling MPs to allow them to share their insight and intelligence on a subject where many (if not most) of them have a mastery of the subject is a natural and obvious step forward. Diplomacy is best served by sharing one’s thoughts widely rather than behind the curtain efforts.

She still comes across as a lightweight. Very nice, but, like Jo Swinson, a lightweight and not PM material. Of the potential women candidates there is only Emily Thornberry and Yvette Cooper who have gravitas for the role, neither of whom appear to stand a chance.
    Deleted.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

matt said:

I’m not sure that Starmer has the X factor to be leader.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited January 2020
    I also think there is method to Trump's madness. The new testament way of dealing with them had failed for the last 30 years, the old testament way may yet work. Violence and threats is all they understand, Trump is speaking their language when he says he's picked out 52 targets etc... It's a huge warning shot that he's got his boot on their proverbial neck. It may offend our liberal sensibilities, but my guess is that it will prove highly effective.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,364
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, we'll see. I just don't think they have the cojones tbh, especially now that their master strategist who would draw up any retaliation plan is dead.

The strategic "retaliation" is clear enough. Build a nuclear capability. That way, Maximum Moron keeps his dick in his pants.
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

I would also add where has this thing about politicians rushing back from holiday cone from?

There will be teams working on the ground to prepare reports and intelligence.

I’d assume there is a means of secure communication for Johnson

You don’t actually need him in London saying stuff
  • Options

When is @HYUFD going to come along to excuse everything Trump is doing because a poll says he might beat Sanders?

FFS its only 7.30 am .. do you really need to start baiting this early.
    I’m not baiting. I’m scared of the direction 2020 is going in because of idiots who are prepared to defend the undefendable because it’s “their team”.
    Well why don't you wait until HYUFD says something before you answer something that he hasn't said.. (yet)
    It is a reasonable extrapolation based on previous statements.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm, we'll see. I just don't think they have the cojones tbh, especially now that their master strategist who would draw up any retaliation plan is dead.

The strategic "retaliation" is clear enough. Build a nuclear capability. That way, Maximum Moron keeps his dick in his pants.
    That was going to happen in 5 years anyway, when the current nuclear deal ended. That's a nothing move, and hopefully it means the EU nations will finally grow a pair and fuck up Iran's economy.
  • Options

I still haven’t had my Labour membership confirmed. Joined mid-December. Doesn’t bode well.

Maybe my jewish sounding name threw some red flags.

Eh, come on. That should be over now. And Gallowgate doesn't even sound jewish.

Who are you leaning to?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2020
    Charles said:

matt said:

matt said:

I would also add where has this thing about politicians rushing back from holiday cone from?

I’m glad that somebody can read between the lines. Raises quizzical 🤨

It’s clear that the article is aimed at Labour Party voters but (a) it’s in The Times (the evil organ of Murdochism); and (b) it’s featherweight in its insight and intelligence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171

matt said:

matt said:

Thatcher was an Oxford educated chemist and had charisma, unlike Nandy
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I still haven’t had my Labour membership confirmed. Joined mid-December. Doesn’t bode well.

Maybe my jewish sounding name threw some red flags.

Eh, come on. That should be over now. And Gallowgate doesn't even sound jewish.

Who are you leaning to?
    I’m still pretty open-minded. I like Jess Phillips, Lisa Nandy, and Keir Starmer although leaning towards Keir. I want to see them in person so I hope there’s a North East hustings.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

matt said:

Yes, if it is correct. I hope it is. I would like to see a return to having a decent and effective opposition to drag the Tories back to the centre ground.
    The Tories have just won their biggest majority since Thatcher, the 'centre ground' is clearly not just pro EU fiscal conservatism and social liberalism for most voters
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

matt said:

Thatcher was an Oxford educated chemist and had charisma, unlike Nandy
    Lisa Nandy is a Newcastle University graduate, which is far superior.
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

He is clever, whereas Corbyn is thick. This may prove unpopular with Boris fanbois on here, but the recent GE was not "won" by their man, it was lost comprehensively by Corbyn, who was about as hopeless as it is possible to be. A half decent Labour leader would have exposed Johnson for what he is. Blair would have torn him to pieces. Starmer is probably no Blair, but he has his intelligence and that is a start to bring British politics back to a sensible place, if that is at all possible.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kinabalu said:

Anti-Biden piece here -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/04/joe-biden-electable-trump-2020-election

I'm confused. Who best beats the Monstrosity?

Anyone who turns the 08 Obama, 12 Obama, 16 DNV into 20 Dem.

Recent American elections are about turnout, not people switching sides.

And as I am going to bang on relentlessly American polling 'likely to vote' screening is brutal - if you didn't vote at the last Presidential election then you'll probably be filtered out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

When is @HYUFD going to come along to excuse everything Trump is doing because a poll says he might beat Sanders?

I am not American but Americans elected Trump and may well re elect him, I suggest you direct your comments at Americans who actually have a vote next November unlike me
    How's Le Pen doing?
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

matt said:

Particularly when he has previous in making matters considerably worse. Keep him on holiday as long as possible.
  • Options

Charles said:

matt said:

He is clever, whereas Corbyn is thick. This may prove unpopular with Boris fanbois on here, but the recent GE was not "won" by their man, it was lost comprehensively by Corbyn, who was about as hopeless as it is possible to be. A half decent Labour leader would have exposed Johnson for what he is. Blair would have torn him to pieces. Starmer is probably no Blair, but he has his intelligence and that is a start to bring British politics back to a sensible place, if that is at all possible.
    I think your politician wishes are colouring your judgement. I don’t know Starmer but the little I have seen of him he speaks like a block of wood and looks like one when he is speaking as well.

Erudite seminars for lawyers are all very well, but charisma matters if you want to win an election
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

I think your politician wishes are colouring your judgement. I don’t know Starmer but the little I have seen of him he speaks like a block of wood and looks like one when he is speaking as well.

Erudite seminars for lawyers are all very well, but charisma matters if you want to win an election
    Will “Middle England” be afraid of a Labour government under Sir Keir? I doubt it.

And that’s the key.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

Will “Middle England” be afraid of a Labour government under Sir Keir? I doubt it.

And that’s the key.
    If Boris messes it up horribly then that’s enough

If Boris does ok it won’t win people back
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

If Boris does ok then his opponents will have been wrong and he will probably deserve to be re-elected. There’s nothing wrong with saying that.

The issue might be that Boris does ok by betraying all his promises and therefore Labour winning back the “red wall” by default.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Anti-Biden piece here -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/04/joe-biden-electable-trump-2020-election

And as I am going to bang on relentlessly American polling 'likely to vote' screening is brutal - if you didn't vote at the last Presidential election then you'll probably be filtered out.
    Yes - highly unlikely that anyone who did NOT vote for Trump last time will do so in 2020. The question is whetwhe the Dems fan breach his ceiling.
  • Options
    matt said:

Yes, the usual waffle. But "thinking differently" tends to go unrewarded. Worse, it is often punished. For example, on this matter, indeed on any matter, the chance of a satisfactory outcome would in all probability be enhanced by "Boris" extending his Caribbean holiday indefinitely. But just try saying that. You'll get a torrent of abuse from the brain-dead consensus mongers.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    MaxPB said:

So any sign of an Iranian retaliation yet? Think they're not sure what to do.

They tried goading the Americans last week, and got a pretty robust reply for their efforts. They can be pretty sure that any further escalation isn’t going to be met with indifference from the US military.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.
    If he purges the 'far-left' then probably not. It depends how it can forge a new identify away from Momentum and the STW/SWP mob.

He might be pretty good and reasonable, we'll see.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

If Boris does ok then his opponents will have been wrong and he will probably deserve to be re-elected. There’s nothing wrong with saying that.

The issue might be that Boris does ok by betraying all his promises and therefore Labour winning back the “red wall” by default.
    Boris has already been re elected
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    Charles said:

matt said:

matt said:

Exactly. If it were a domestic crisis then it would be different. Secure communications lines are technically pretty easy nowadays.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

Boris has already been re elected
    Thanks for that insight.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Anti-Biden piece here -

Yes - highly unlikely that anyone who did NOT vote for Trump last time will do so in 2020. The question is whetwhe the Dems fan breach his ceiling.
    I`m not sure this is true. Trump`s formidable social media compaigns could reach further tranches of new people who don`t usually vote.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

If the government does well I will certainly consider voting for them despite finding the PM objectionable and untrustworthy and therefore being anyone but tory at the last GE. At that stage he will have a 4/5 year record to be judged on rather than his optimistic lies. If his record is genuinely good why not have more, its not what Im expecting but certainly plausible.
  • Options

I’m still pretty open-minded. I like Jess Phillips, Lisa Nandy, and Keir Starmer although leaning towards Keir. I want to see them in person so I hope there’s a North East hustings.

Yes, I'm going to try and see some events. Starmer is quite good but I think it should be a woman. I want to vote for Nandy but that will be easier if she manages to electrify a room that I am in. Thus far I'm not picking up quite enough voltage from her. When I see her on the TV my jumper does not crackle and my hair remains resolutely in place. Phillips has some USP but I am put off by her being seemingly on the verge of tears whenever she speaks. Yes, I want passion, but still. Got to be one of these 2 though. RLB and Thornberry are not IMO electable.
  • Options

Charles said:

matt said:

Yeah but in 2017 Corbyn was still thick but vastly outperformed early poll ratings so what changed? Under-the-radar denigration of his character by CCHQ's crack team of kiwi shit-posters? Corbyn did seem to have aged considerably since 2017, and there was even some speculation he'd had a stroke (never substantiated iirc).
  • Options
    Charles said:

matt said:

matt said:

The same place as the cult of populist politicians promising only they can solve peoples problems.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

Charisma is as charisma does. Johnson beat a uniquely poor opponent with no real record to defend. That will not be the case next time if Starmer, Phillips or Nandy is Labour leader. He will own all that has happened.

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    Yep, Johnson showing who are most reliable allies are.

• Options

HYUFD said:

The US under Trump is explicitly and reliably America first. We dont know if its the start of a long term shift or a 4 year blip. If he gets re-elected UK and European politicians need to think seriously about radical changes in our defence and foreign policy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes, I'm going to try and see some events. Starmer is quite good but I think it should be a woman. I want to vote for Nandy but that will be easier if she manages to electrify a room that I am in. Thus far I'm not picking up quite enough voltage from her. When I see her on the TV my jumper does not crackle and my hair remains resolutely in place. Phillips has some USP but I am put off by her being seemingly on the verge of tears whenever she speaks. Yes, I want passion, but still. Got to be one of these 2 though. RLB and Thornberry are not IMO electable.

If they all make it onto the ballot, which I doubt, then it's those three for me. Order yet to be decided.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

Johnson also showing that Brexit doesn't change squat as far as those allies wanting to be our allies is concerned. Don't need to be in the EU to be allies.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    Happy to report that my daughter was a small cog in the "1917" winner at the Golden Globes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The US under Trump is explicitly and reliably America first. We dont know if its the start of a long term shift or a 4 year blip. If he gets re-elected UK and European politicians need to think seriously about radical changes in our defence and foreign policy.

Yep.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838

HYUFD said:

No, he is explicitly Trump first. Everything else a distant second.
  • Options
    Remorseless logic...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/05/mike-pompeo-qassem-suleimani-killing-trump
    ...“there were in fact plots that [Suleimani] was working on that were aimed directly at significant harm to American interests throughout the region, not just in Iraq”.

But he was unable to provide specifics.

When host Chuck Todd asked if retaliation against US citizens should now be expected, Pompeo admitted: “It may be that there’s a little noise here in the interim.”....
  • Options

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Anti-Biden piece here -

There will be a bunch of cowardly "NeverTrump"ers who will vote for him this time round as they understand the value of pushing ideological Republican hacks into lifetime Federal judge appointments, so Trump still has room to grow.

The question is does he push suburban whites who voted for him in 2016 into the DNV column this time out.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

Sure but do you want to choose a leader based on winning if the other guy loses?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

Johnson also showing that Brexit doesn't change squat as far as those allies wanting to be our allies is concerned. Don't need to be in the EU to be allies.
    I am not so sure I can make the link you have here.

If we need US trade deals to offset our EU losses we might have to wave the stars and bars at Trump to project our support whether we like what he is doing or not.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

If we need US trade deals to offset our EU losses we might have to wave the stars and bars at Trump to project our support whether we like what he is doing or not.
    A US trade deal has to go through Congress too and the Democrats hold the House at present
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

Sure but do you want to choose a leader based on winning if the other guy loses?
    If it’s either that or not winning in either circumstance then it is no choice at all.

Did people predict Blair would do what he did when he was originally elected leader of the Labour Party?
  • Options
    If Keir Starmer then why not Emily Thornberry? Both are London-based lawyers. Both are front-benchers. It can't be that Starmer has more charisma.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

A US trade deal has to go through Congress too and the Democrats hold the House at present
    That is irrelevant. If we need to curry favour by showing demonstrable support for the U.S. Nation as they are embarking on some questionable foreign adventure we will. The lesson of Blair will not be learned, and with Brexit, the need may be more pressing.
  • Options

If Keir Starmer then why not Emily Thornberry? Both are London-based lawyers. Both are front-benchers. It can't be that Starmer has more charisma.

She has more baggage unfortunately.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

Isn't that how it always works. Opposition parties don't win elections, governments lose them.
  • Options
    This ought to scare the Iranians and Saudis more than Trump can.

An apparently viable architecture for the lithium/sulphur battery with three to four times the energy density of current lithium ion cells:
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/1/eaay2757

A world with the Middle East as a prosperous backwater would be a better place.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

That is irrelevant. If we need to curry favour by showing demonstrable support for the U.S. Nation as they are embarking on some questionable foreign adventure we will. The lesson of Blair will not be learned, and with Brexit, the need may be more pressing.
    Except the Democrats oppose much of Trump's foreign policy and they hold half of Congress, in most of the Bush years Congress was still GOP controlled and Congressional approval is also needed for a US trade deal.

So no it certainly is not irrelevant
  • Options
    Stokes back in beast mode.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly under Trump.

Except the Democrats oppose much of Trump's foreign policy and they hold half of Congress, in most of the Bush years Congress was still GOP controlled and Congressional approval is also needed for a US trade deal.

So no it certainly is not irrelevant
    Really, it is.
  • Options
    Executive pay and the politics of envy Conservativism.

FTSE chief executives 'earn average salary within three days'

It's not been Labour banging on about this but Boris, and now Andrea Leadsom.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51000217

Whether this is Dominic Cummings parking Conservative tanks on Labour's lawn to retain the red/blue wall in four years' time, or marks a return to 1980s-style right wing attacks on corporate kleptocracy is not clear but it may be an issue to keep an eye on.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

matt said:

And that’s the key.

If it’s either that or not winning in either circumstance then it is no choice at all.

Did people predict Blair would do what he did when he was originally elected leader of the Labour Party?
    He was seen as someone who could positively win elections

I’m just surprised that Labour seems to be taking such a defensive stance this early
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    kinabalu said:

Blimey, I think it’s Nandy that always looks on the verge of tears. She seems nice but looks like a nervous Simpsons child character. Phillips has developed an image that will go down well with affluent people who like to think they’re in touch with the working class I reckon
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,114

nunu2 said:

I really don't think Trump knows what he has got himself into bu attacking Iran.

A general lesson to be learned is that if you're an opposition group in a repressive country (see also Venezuela), you don't want Trump and his goons sticking their oars in.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1213956785951907840?s=20
    these people really are nutters. The few pictures I saw on it , the mourners were all women.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,622

Charles said:

matt said:

For once I agree with you Nigel.

What is also impressive about Starmer is that he has run the gauntlet of the last 4 years very effectively, such that without in any way being in the Corbyn camp he has cleverly kept his head down to emerge at the right time as a front runner who the Momentum cultists are going to find it very difficult to attack based on his record under Corbyn. As such he has the potential to be a unifying figure in a party all but destroyed by internal division.

He also has a highly creditable record of achievement prior to becoming an MP, with his relatively humble origins belying the assumption of the detractors that he could only have risen so far by hailing from a relatively privileged background.

You don't do all that against the odds without a lot of political and other nous. If he does succeed as leader, the Tories will underestimate him at their peril.
  • Options
    Tom Banton 55* off 16 balls in the Big Bash!. Just took 30 off an over
  • Options
    Diane Abbott's son... sounds like he's been on the waccy baccy to me. Whoever would have thought he would be charged with racially aggravated crimes having been brought up by Diane?

Probably explains her strange behaviour/seemingly heavy drinking in the last few years, the stress her son has brought on her

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7842415/Diane-Abbotts-privately-educated-son-28-charged-11-new-offences.html
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Whether this is Dominic Cummings parking Conservative tanks on Labour's lawn to retain the red/blue wall in four years' time, or marks a return to 1980s-style right wing attacks on corporate kleptocracy is not clear but it may be an issue to keep an eye on.

I think the red wall, i.e. meaning a string of small towns, is lost for good. Sedgefield and Bolsover are tiny. I'd not realised, having never been to these areas.

Small towns in my area like Ludlow or Ross-on-Wye have *never* voted Lab. They have rarely had a LD MP either.

Labour has to accept PR - only Lewis has done - and win an election at which this would be the issue. 'Win' these days means a hung parliament; Harold Wilson's 48% vote in 1966 for a left-wing manifesto isn't coming back.

Thornberry impresses me but apparently no-one else on PB likes her. I think she has far more charisma/gift of the gab than Starmer and like him would be continuity Miliband = electable and not too far left or right (like Wilson in his day).

In the wider world, this is rather 'concerning', but we probably guessed so

https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031169173348352?s=03
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

I think the red wall, i.e. meaning a string of small towns, is lost for good. Sedgefield and Bolsover are tiny. I'd not realised, having never been to these areas.

Small towns in my area like Ludlow or Ross-on-Wye have *never* voted Lab. They have rarely had a LD MP either.

Labour has to accept PR - only Lewis has done - and win an election at which this would be the issue. 'Win' these days means a hung parliament; Harold Wilson's 48% vote in 1966 for a left-wing manifesto isn't coming back.

Thornberry impresses me but apparently no-one else on PB likes her. I think she has far more charisma/gift of the gab than Starmer and like him would be continuity Miliband = electable and not too far left or right (like Wilson in his day).

In the wider world, this is rather 'concerning', but we probably guessed so

https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031169173348352?s=03
    Morning everyone. Small point. Blair was PR friendly and appointed the Jenkins Commission to come up with something. Discussed a coalition with Ashdown, too, pre-election.
    Trouble was, John Prescott was totally opposed to any change in the electoral process, especially as the Labour Party had just won a massive majority.

And England have declared!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited January 2020
    Out of interest, Why does labour have the leadership elections at the same time as the deputy leaders.

Seems silly, as some of the leadership contenders would be pretty good deputies.

For example, Starmer as leader, but Phillips as Deputy would be pretty good as a team I would think.

Holding them at the same time, means less choice and combinations.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

The Tories have just won their biggest majority since Thatcher, the 'centre ground' is clearly not just pro EU fiscal conservatism and social liberalism for most voters
    People use centre ground like another brand rather than the actual centre of public opinion. Though a lot forget that.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Nandy on Pienaar was imo taken apart by Guto Harri when she had no response to the why are you still banging on about trades unions although if you are of the left then presumably this is music to your ears.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

So any sign of an Iranian retaliation yet? Think they're not sure what to do.

They tried goading the Americans last week, and got a pretty robust reply for their efforts. They can be pretty sure that any further escalation isn’t going to be met with indifference from the US military.
    Maybe. From thousands of miles away, it does look as if even right-wing commentators in America are wondering what Trump was thinking about.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

People use centre ground like another brand rather than the actual centre of public opinion. Though a lot forget that.
    There is no centre. HYUFD is right that the centre-ground Boris won on is the opposite to that often envisaged, and to the one Cameron occupied.

Cameron's centre-ground: social liberalism & fiscal conservatism
    @HYUFD & Cummings centre-ground: social conservatism & fiscal liberalism
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This ought to scare the Iranians and Saudis more than Trump can.

An apparently viable architecture for the lithium/sulphur battery with three to four times the energy density of current lithium ion cells:
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/1/eaay2757

A world with the Middle East as a prosperous backwater would be a better place.

There was a lot of excitement about this a few years back when I was at Sony. I think it didn't get anywhere and they sold the tech and patents to Murata in the end.
This discussion has been closed.