Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With Iowa barely a month away Bernie steps up the attacks on B

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

What does this mean? F*cked if I know.

The most likely outcome - to me - is Buttigieg first, Sanders second. The question, that is very much unresolved, is whether this is enough to make Buttigieg the establishment candidate.

The possible upset would be if Klobuchar snuck into a decent position. She performed very well in the last debate, and the next one is just a week or so away (in Iowa), with a far less crowded stage. She's from a neighbouring state, and her on the ground organisation is better than Biden's. I don't think it's impossible she ends up with a reasonable result.

The new Iowa caucuses poll average from 270 to win from January 2nd has Sanders overtaking Buttigieg to lead 21.5% to 21% with Biden 3rd on 19% and Warren 4th on 15%

https://www.270towin.com/2020-democratic-nomination/iowa-caucus
    Sanders has a weaker on the ground organisation that Buttigieg, especially in rural areas where his presence is almost non-existent. In small rural precincts, there will be a couple of Buttigieg organisers, a Warren one, and a Klobuchar one. I think that means that Sanders struggles to get to 15% in those places.

If the polls remain the same (which of course they won't), then I would expect Buttigieg to beat Sanders in Iowa.

That being said, there's still a month to go, and a debate with far fewer candidates. The attack on Iran probably plays into Sanders hands too. So, we'll see.
    Sanders got 49.59% in the Iowa caucuses last time and his organisation will likely be better this time
    He’s not running against Hillary this time...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sanders got 49.59% in the Iowa caucuses last time and his organisation will likely be better this time

I'm afraid that is simply factually incorrect. The NYTimes did an excellent piece on organisation in Iowa, and the number of people on the ground.

Buttigieg has three times the number of field offices (27) in Iowa than Sanders (9).

Klobuchar, Biden and Warren all have better ground games in Iowa than Sanders.
    The Sanders campaign uses meetings at peoples homes not just field offices

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/12/us/politics/democratic-candidates-campaigns.html
    Sure.

But that doesn't change the fact that Sanders doesn't have people in rural areas. When the caucus comes around, and forty people gather in a chilly church hall, there will be two Buttigieg organisers, one Warren one, and probably a Biden and a Klobuchar one. He has fewer offices, and fewer paid staffers than 2016.

I would expect that Sanders will do exceptionally well in urban Iowa, and around the universities. I would expect him to do much less well in conservative, rural Iowa.

And Biden and Klobuchar will also be competing for that more conservative rural vote with Buttigieg, Sanders only has a rapidly fading Warren to compete with in urban, liberal Iowa
    Do you really think that Biden and Buttigieg don't have field offices and organisers in urban parts of Iowa?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

Thanks for the comments, all. I didn't know Cheltenham had a university! The guy does want to live in the south for family reasons. Does anyone know Southampton at all?

On the leadership question, I'm keeping an open mind at present. Let's hear what the candidates have to say.

It’s hardly the world’s best uni, but it’s there. Got some nice buildings as well (that’s Francis Close Hall not Pittville). It’s also reasonably easy to get to universities in Bristol, Oxford and Worcester.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The most likely outcome - to me - is Buttigieg first, Sanders second. The question, that is very much unresolved, is whether this is enough to make Buttigieg the establishment candidate.

The possible upset would be if Klobuchar snuck into a decent position. She performed very well in the last debate, and the next one is just a week or so away (in Iowa), with a far less crowded stage. She's from a neighbouring state, and her on the ground organisation is better than Biden's. I don't think it's impossible she ends up with a reasonable result.

The new Iowa caucuses poll average from 270 to win from January 2nd has Sanders overtaking Buttigieg to lead 21.5% to 21% with Biden 3rd on 19% and Warren 4th on 15%

Sanders has a weaker on the ground organisation that Buttigieg, especially in rural areas where his presence is almost non-existent. In small rural precincts, there will be a couple of Buttigieg organisers, a Warren one, and a Klobuchar one. I think that means that Sanders struggles to get to 15% in those places.

If the polls remain the same (which of course they won't), then I would expect Buttigieg to beat Sanders in Iowa.

That being said, there's still a month to go, and a debate with far fewer candidates. The attack on Iran probably plays into Sanders hands too. So, we'll see.
    Just as well given his recent health scare. A nice gentle jog is the most he should go on.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm afraid that is simply factually incorrect. The NYTimes did an excellent piece on organisation in Iowa, and the number of people on the ground.

Buttigieg has three times the number of field offices (27) in Iowa than Sanders (9).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/12/us/politics/democratic-candidates-campaigns.html
    Sure.

But that doesn't change the fact that Sanders doesn't have people in rural areas. When the caucus comes around, and forty people gather in a chilly church hall, there will be two Buttigieg organisers, one Warren one, and probably a Biden and a Klobuchar one. He has fewer offices, and fewer paid staffers than 2016.

I would expect that Sanders will do exceptionally well in urban Iowa, and around the universities. I would expect him to do much less well in conservative, rural Iowa.

And Biden and Klobuchar will also be competing for that more conservative rural vote with Buttigieg, Sanders only has a rapidly fading Warren to compete with in urban, liberal Iowa
    Do you really think that Biden and Buttigieg don't have field offices and organisers in urban parts of Iowa?
    There are urban parts of Iowa?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sure.

Des Moines - about the size of York.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I have seen the Scottish Parliament. Somebody, somewhere, is missing a B&Q. It's made even worse by th fact it's in Edinburgh, which is stuffed to the gunnels with nice buildings. How the hell Cardiff, which is a slightly worse version of Bristol, ended up with a nicer Parliament is beyond me.

Oi! Both Bristol and Cardiff are fine cities. Certainly far better than London.
    I was recently asked by someone who wants to live within reach of a reasonably rich cultural environment without paying a fortune whether Bristol or Southampton were any good - concerts, open lectures, that sort of thing - and not as expensive as London or Oxford. Any advice?
    Bristol would be nearly as expensive as Oxford, otherwise I would have thought it would be a match for it. It’s a pleasanter city than Oxford in many crucial respects actually. But I would have thought the obvious place to look for that combination while avoiding vast expense would be Cheltenham.
    Winchester
    Really?

I want to like Winchester, but I've found it to be a cultural non-entity. Admittedly on little evidence.

Salisbury seems much better, with perhaps a similar background.
    I tried to expand the entry but I got caught by the six-minute rule. Yes, Salisbury is better, but there's something about Winchester I like. I think it's a question of scale: it's the kind of place where you can easily walk to-and-fro. I think I imposed my own desires on the OP rather than answering the question... :(
    I'll give Winchester another chance then. I was thinking about buying an out-of-town retreat and thus looked at Winchester. Today's retreat may well become my home in the future.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,807
    edited January 2020

Thanks for the comments, all. I didn't know Cheltenham had a university! The guy does want to live in the south for family reasons. Does anyone know Southampton at all?

On the leadership question, I'm keeping an open mind at present. Let's hear what the candidates have to say.

Southampton is a bit meh. It was nice before the Luftwaffe and concrete, but now its architecturally just dull. Good transport links to London and you can get a ship to that Europe or a train to Southampton Airport or a longer train to Gatwick Airport, plus you can get to anywhere on the South Coast. But apart from the transport links, nothing springs to mind, to be honest. It's ok-ish.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sure.

Yes I know. It was a joke.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And can you exclude creationists from the search for a new physics teacher?

Depends on if, like Sir Fred Hoyle, you think the Big Bang Theory is creationist. It is also the one currently taught in schools.
    In my limited experience Physics teachers are much more likely to be practising Christians than biology teachers are, although I haven’t met any Young Earth Creationists in that role.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    viewcode said:

Southampton is a bit meh. It was nice before the Luftwaffe and concrete, but now its architecturally just dull. Good transport links to London and you can get a ship to that Europe or a train to Southampton Airport or a longer train to Gatwick Airport, plus you can get to anywhere on the South Coast. But apart from the transport links, nothing springs to mind, to be honest. It's ok-ish.
    Southampton is rapidly becoming dominated by the University as well - everything else seems to be shutting down.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I was recently asked by someone who wants to live within reach of a reasonably rich cultural environment without paying a fortune whether Bristol or Southampton were any good - concerts, open lectures, that sort of thing - and not as expensive as London or Oxford. Any advice?

Bristol would be nearly as expensive as Oxford, otherwise I would have thought it would be a match for it. It’s a pleasanter city than Oxford in many crucial respects actually. But I would have thought the obvious place to look for that combination while avoiding vast expense would be Cheltenham.

It depends what they want - if village life is what they are looking for, Oxfordshire has some very nice places, which are within easy reach of the city. If you go for something that isn't commutable to London, the prices really drop.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

I have seen the Scottish Parliament. Somebody, somewhere, is missing a B&Q. It's made even worse by th fact it's in Edinburgh, which is stuffed to the gunnels with nice buildings. How the hell Cardiff, which is a slightly worse version of Bristol, ended up with a nicer Parliament is beyond me.

I think Holyrood is a very interesting bit of architecture, although there is nothing Scottish about it, and I would rate it architecturally above the Berlin and Canberra parliaments, which were also expensive projects.

Apart from the project mismanagement, you can see why it cost so much to build. There are no two straight lines in the place. It's a very fluid design. Parts of the building work better than others in my view but it's all visually interesting.
    (Anguished sotto voce groan) I know what you mean, and it works in theory, but I was looking at it and all I could think of is "shed"... :(
    I think Holyrood works visually better on the inside than the outside. I particularly like the committee rooms:

For something Scottish they should choose a classical design to reflect Scotland's 300 year love affair with classicism. Starting just across the road:

Ending up in the 1950s with the National Library. What classicism means in the 21st century, I'm not sure:

That last one needs some red, vertical banners.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Can you exclude Jedi from the search for a new Dark Lord of the Sith?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Winchester
    Really?

I want to like Winchester, but I've found it to be a cultural non-entity. Admittedly on little evidence.

I tried to expand the entry but I got caught by the six-minute rule. Yes, Salisbury is better, but there's something about Winchester I like. I think it's a question of scale: it's the kind of place where you can easily walk to-and-fro. I think I imposed my own desires on the OP rather than answering the question... :(
    I'll give Winchester another chance then. I was thinking about buying an out-of-town retreat and thus looked at Winchester. Today's retreat may well become my home in the future.
    Thank you, but please don't make precipitate decisions on my ill-considered guesses. I like Winchester, but only because it (just!) falls within the set of Places I Can Afford. There may well be nicer places that would suit you better but are off my mental map.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Just as well given his recent health scare. A nice gentle jog is the most he should go on.
    He could take Hills at one handed press-ups, easy....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If only I could think of a Jedi who became a Darth... :)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Given all the persecution the Sith have received at the hands of Jedi Supremicists....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjWANrhl5g
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Creationists are as fissiparous as any other bunch of harmless lunatics. Some of their musings are described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology

"I shall be defending Ussher's chronology as an honorable effort for its time and arguing that our usual ridicule only records a lamentable small-mindedness based on mistaken use of present criteria to judge a distant and different past

Ussher represented the best of scholarship in his time. He was part of a substantial research tradition, a large community of intellectuals working toward a common goal under an accepted methodology…"

High praise indeed from sadly-missed Stephen Jay Gould.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited January 2020
    viewcode said:

One of my earliest memories - I was just two - was being awe-struck by the size of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, both in port at the same time.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Winchester
    Really?

Thank you, but please don't make precipitate decisions on my ill-considered guesses. I like Winchester, but only because it (just!) falls within the set of Places I Can Afford. There may well be nicer places that would suit you better but are off my mental map.
    The Omnium property fund fiver won't be spent rashly.

Other peoples experiences and impressions of places are really important. You can only get a fleeting glance yourself, unless you live there.

Unfortunately in the UK these simple decisions are now the most important we all make.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sure.

Well, Bill Bryson has been saying that for years and he should know.

Oh, sorry, you meant your comment was a joke?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Depends on if, like Sir Fred Hoyle, you think the Big Bang Theory is creationist. It is also the one currently taught in schools.
    In my limited experience Physics teachers are much more likely to be practising Christians than biology teachers are, although I haven’t met any Young Earth Creationists in that role.
    It always amuses me that the Big Bang Theory was first posited by a Catholic priest.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

viewcode said:

I think Holyrood is a very interesting bit of architecture, although there is nothing Scottish about it, and I would rate it architecturally above the Berlin and Canberra parliaments, which were also expensive projects.

Apart from the project mismanagement, you can see why it cost so much to build. There are no two straight lines in the place. It's a very fluid design. Parts of the building work better than others in my view but it's all visually interesting.
    (Anguished sotto voce groan) I know what you mean, and it works in theory, but I was looking at it and all I could think of is "shed"... :(
    I think Holyrood works visually better on the inside than the outside. I particularly like the committee rooms:

For something Scottish they should choose a classical design to reflect Scotland's 300 year love affair with classicism. Starting just across the road:

Ending up in the 1950s with the National Library. What classicism means in the 21st century, I'm not sure:

That last one needs some red, vertical banners.
    It's a 1930s design, completed after the Second World War, so I guess it's typical of the monumentalism of that time. The National Library facade is humanised by Hew Lorimer's sculptures that don't really come out in the small photo.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    edited January 2020
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Winchester
    Really?

I visited Winchester once and only once in August 2018 and found it inundated with young tourists - apart for the mighty Cathedral itself which was most impressive and tranquil. It seems the young tourists were only there to parade up and down the street admiring each other without quite realising why they were there.
  • Options

viewcode said:

One of my earliest memories - I as just two - was being awe-struck by the size of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, both in port at the same time.
    Can beat that. Travel to Portsmouth. *Both* carriers are in.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sure.

Well, Bill Bryson has been saying that for years and he should know.

Oh, sorry, you meant your comment was a joke?
    I feel there's substance underneath the fluffy daftness. Meanwhile I'm planning on using the fluffy daftness to get a really good night's sleep.

• Options

viewcode said:

One of my earliest memories - I was just two - was being awe-struck by the size of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, both in port at the same time.
    First time I took the helm of a boat (a UFO34, as it happens) motoring down the Itchen one foggy morning, we soon found ourselves under the towering bow of the QEII. "Should we be here?" I gently enquired. "No," replied the skipper, "but it's OK because they can't see us."
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Since the answers to all of those questions are already in the public domain, that is a singularly pointless letter.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

viewcode said:

First time I took the helm of a boat (a UFO34, as it happens) motoring down the Itchen one foggy morning, we soon found ourselves under the towering bow of the QEII. "Should we be here?" I gently enquired. "No," replied the skipper, "but it's OK because they can't see us."
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No he is running against a divided opposition so a lower voteshare would be enough to win
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No he is running against a divided opposition so a lower voteshare would be enough to win
    Sanders is just Biden his time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited January 2020
    Nigelb said:
    Bloomberg overtakes Buttigieg to tie Warren for 3rd behind Biden and Sanders in that new poll.

Sanders meanwhile is raising the most, up to $34 million to $22 million for Biden and $21 million for Warren
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,700
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

One of my earliest memories - I as just two - was being awe-struck by the size of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth, both in port at the same time.
    Can beat that. Travel to Portsmouth. *Both* carriers are in.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper, but the RMS QE & QM were both bigger than HMS QE & PoW - although all of them would look jolly impressive.
  • Options

New Thread

This discussion has been closed.