Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 28th 2012

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: November 28th 2012

When people think of “one party states” in local elections, they often think of the Labour heartlands such as Knowsley (Lab 63, Opposition 0), Sandwell (Lab 68, Opposition 4) and Rotherham (Lab 58, Opposition 5). However the Conservatives are just as capable of producing one party states and Bracknell Forest is a classic example of a Conservative one party state.

Read the full story here

Comments

• stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Small typo in the title - or have I moved back in time ?
  • stodge said:

Small typo in the title - or have I moved back in time ?

You've moved back in time.

Fixed now

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,520
    Does Landward actually have any population, aside from lost mariners, married sheep and mad long-distance walkers and cyclists?

Oh, and irradiated seals.

(I should stress I love that part of the coast. Much under-appreciated, especially Dunnet Head and the spectacular Duncansby Stacks, a photo of which hangs on our wall)
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Happy Thanksgiving Tim B

ROFL
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited November 2013

Does Landward actually have any population, aside from lost mariners, married sheep and mad long-distance walkers and cyclists?

(I should stress I love that part of the coast. Much under-appreciated, especially Dunnet Head and the spectacular Duncansby Stacks, a photo of which hangs on our wall)

Just looked for Duncansby Stacks on Google Images. Wow! I see what you mean!

• Out of curiosity why was your mum going all the way to Page Hall from Hallam ?

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited November 2013

Out of curiosity why was your mum going all the way to Page Hall from Hallam ?

There's a clothes shop she likes there, Arshad Textiles.

There's not many Pakistani clothes shops in Dore.

Edit: Normally she goes to Stockport Road in Manchester, but time was an issue yesterday
  • EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The Landward Caithness seat will be interesting. The by-election was caused by the resignation of the youngest member of the SNP group who has got himself into a spot of bother under the Representation of the People Act. It is a shame because he is a nice lad. If the Independents cancel one another out the SNP candidate may sneak through. Fred Sutherland's husband is a kinsman and Kerensa is flying the party flag so Im glad I don't have a vote.

• Out of curiosity why was your mum going all the way to Page Hall from Hallam ?

Edit: Normally she goes to Stockport Road in Manchester, but time was an issue yesterday
    Aren't there any suitable shops up the Abbeydale Road ? That part of Nether Edge and Sharrow has become very aspirational for successful Asians.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour with 6 point lead & UKIP on 14 - their highest score since August: CON 33%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 14%

Aren't there any suitable shops up the Abbeydale Road ? That part of Nether Edge and Sharrow has become very aspirational for successful Asians.
    She went there first, but didn't find the right items she was looking for.

The ones on Sharrow, are more designed for the younger Asian ladies.

My parents really roughed it yesterday, they even went to the Asda in Handsworth.
  • Just to say that my elder brother, David, died about an hour ago at Macclesfield hospital after a long illness. We travelled up this afternoon to say our goodbyes.

It is very odd because he's known me longer than anybody else in the entire world.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    YouGov changes from previous poll:

Con +1
    Lab 0
    LD -2
    UKIP +1
  • Just to say that my elder brother, David, died about an hour ago at Macclesfield hospital after a long illness. We travelled up this afternoon to say our goodbyes.

It is very odd because he's known me longer than anybody else in the entire world.

That is very sad news Mike, so sorry to hear that
  • Oh my, condolences to you and yours, Mike.
    So sorry to hear that Mike. Our condolences.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2013
    I should add that I'm going to have a few days away from PB.

TSE's in charge.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    My condolences to you and your family Mike.
  • tim said:

Long life Mike

He was only 70

• Condolences, Mike. Thoughts are with you.
    GeoffM said:

It was one of the most spectacular 'finds' on my walk. I was already aware of many scenic places (e.g. the Green Bridge of Wales, Eilean Donan and Dunstanburgh Castles, or the entirety of Pembrokeshire), but I would often come across unexpected gems. I'd just passed through the awful John O'Groats, and did not expect to find such a spectacular location just two or three miles away, with Orkney in the background.

I'm amazed that walkers and cyclists don't make Duncansby Lighthouse the end of their journey, instead of John O'Groats. Although if they did, perhaps Duncansby would be spoilt as well.

An area I rarely get to visit, much to my annoyance.

My parents really roughed it yesterday, they even went to the Asda in Handsworth.
    How did they return home ?

Over the Manor or the low road of Gleadless-Batemoor-Jordanthorpe-Lowedges ?

The contrast when you reach Bradway and Dore is extreme.

Personally I find the council estates on the south side of Sheffield to be far worse than those on the north. At least in the northern suburbs they understood the concept of gardens.
  • NextNext Posts: 826

Just to say that my elder brother, David, died about an hour ago at Macclesfield hospital after a long illness. We travelled up this afternoon to say our goodbyes.

My condolences, Mike.

How did they return home ?

Over the Manor or the low road of Gleadless-Batemoor-Jordanthorpe-Lowedges ?

The contrast when you reach Bradway and Dore is extreme.

Personally I find the council estates on the south side of Sheffield to be far worse than those on the north. At least in the northern suburbs they understood the concept of gardens.
    Via the tram route.

My Dad was moaning how much he hates having to follow the sodding tram routes, how the signs say "Don't go on the tram tracks" then a few miles later, you have to drive on the tram tracks.

Neither of my parents were in a good mood last night.

In fact, my Mum's still ranting about the Roma....
  • So sorry to hear of your loss, Mike.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Sorry to hear about your loss Mike
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Sorry to read about your sad news Mike.
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    edited November 2013
    The official video game for the Ashes cricket tour has been pulled from sale after gamers branded it "shameful", "embarrassing" and "farcical".

Ashes Cricket 2013 game taken off sale

Did the developers create it after watching England play?
  • Mike, sorry to hear your sad news. Best to you and your family
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Condolences on the loss of your brother Mike, thoughts are with you and your family at this time
  • Truly sorry to hear your news Mike. Best wishes to yourself and Robert at this difficult time.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Mike - I'm really sorry to hear your news
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    Lab selection, Epsom & Ewell: Sheila Carlson

mobile.twitter.com/ee_labour

She represents the Court ward:

http://www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk/EEBC/Council/ByNameItems/Carlson+-+Councillor+Sheila+Anne+BA+Hons.htm
    I'm sorry to hear the news Mike. Condolences.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    My condolences Mike.
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tim

'@iankatz1000: .@johnmcternan on Tory policy U-turns: "You can either agree with Ed or go to the nasty end of the market, there's no way to combine the 2"

So Ed's now at the nasty end because he has u-turned on on almost everything he was opposing just two years ago.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Just to say that my elder brother, David, died about an hour ago at Macclesfield hospital after a long illness. We travelled up this afternoon to say our goodbyes.

Sorry to hear this Mike. Please accept my condolences.

My father was taken to Macclesfield hospital when he died. The anniversary was last week.

I also got married in Macclesfield.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Yeah, everywhere I go people are talking about how current Labour energy policy contradicts what Ed Miliband said years ago. It's got real traction!

Meanwhile Cameron brings back plain cigarette packaging so he'll have more space when he's writing policy
  • Condolences for your loss .
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 885
    Sorry to hear that your brother has died, Mike - take as long as you need.
  • My sincere condolences, Mike.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited November 2013
    Mike, my condolences to you and all your family on your very sad loss, really thinking of you at this time. We have had a terrible year of loss in our family, my uncle lost his wife of sixty years, this was then followed by his sister, my beloved Auntie, godmother and best friend. And then just two weeks later, my uncle lost his oldest son, my cousin. I still cannot believe that his children who are of a similar age to my own have lost their wonderful Dad, and that his daughter won't have him there walking her up the aisle when she marries. Losing my Auntie was particular hard, and especially as it was like losing another link to my late father.

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Condolences Mike
  • I see the Times are highlighting the hypocrisy of Andrew Tyrie MP over fracking. Strongly supporting it nationally whilst saying he will oppose it in his own constituency. Whichever side of the fracking debate you sit on this looks bad.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Sorry to hear your sad news Mike
    Sounds like chucking out time in a rough boozer on QT tonight
    Lambeth Labour hold Lab 1319 LD 468 Con 153 Green 113 UKIP 87 TUSC 44 Soc 22
    Turnout 19%
  • Condolences, Mike.
    isam said:

Sounds like chucking out time in a rough boozer on QT tonight

I wanted to watch it but the third contribution from that singer was so irritating that I had to put it off.

Even one contribution suggested that Tim has a point about Carmichael.

Turnout 19%

Pretty good for UKIP to beat the Greens in a place like Brixton.

Wakefield Labour hold Lab 1041 UKIP 856 Con 504 LD 212 Turnout 21%
  • Condolences to OGH.
    On the minus side this is going to make it more difficult to keep our economy growing through next year: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10481773/Eurozone-M3-money-plunge-flashes-deflation-alert-for-2014.html

On the plus side we are likely to get 2 or 3 very vivid examples next year of what happens to small economies in currency unions with much bigger and wealthier ones who are focussed on their own needs.
  • Sorry to hear about your loss Mike.
  • AndyJS said:

Turnout 19%

But they didn't beat the Greens.
  • Wakefield Labour hold Lab 1041 UKIP 856 Con 504 LD 212 Turnout 21%

That's a very good UKIP result in Wakefield pushing the Tories into 3rd.
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Condolences Mike.
  • JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    My condolences Mike to you and your family.

Wakefield Labour hold Lab 1041 UKIP 856 Con 504 LD 212 Turnout 21%

More a good Jesty result than a good UKIP result . The UKIP candidate was the Independent candidate in 2012 and the Conservative councillor for the ward 2008 to 2012 .
    No figures but Labour hold St Helens and Conservatives hold Bracknell
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sorry to hear your news, Mike.

Best wishes.

AndyJS said:

Turnout 19%

But they didn't beat the Greens.
    Too many beers.
  • Wakefield Labour hold Lab 1041 UKIP 856 Con 504 LD 212 Turnout 21%

UKIP getting stronger rather than weakening, if immigration next year gets bad press I can only see them gaining more ground.
    Central Beds Con hold Con 738 Ind 560 UKIP 334 Lab 209 LD 24
  • Condolences, Mike.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777

Very sorry to read of your sad news Mike. Best wishes to you and your family.
  • BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Sorry to hear Mike. Condolences.

Central Beds Con hold Con 738 Ind 560 UKIP 334 Lab 209 LD 24

I presume that the Independent Christine Smith is the same person who with husband Patrick was involved in a plebgate type dispute complete with CCTV images with Beds police which ended with the police having to pay £ 13,000 plus compensation to the couple
    Bracknell figures Con hold Con 582 UKIP 318 Lab 139 LD 69
  • Condolences on your brother OGH.
    @Tim

Labour's fox shot.
    The most racist politician in modern history refuses to rule out running for Mayor of London... Gawd help us
  • isam said:

The most racist politician in modern history refuses to rule out running for Mayor of London... Gawd help us

who's that?

@isam

Let her have her moment in the spotlight,it makes her feel important.
  • And this was before the Tory coalition decided that Labour was right about the energy price freeze after all.

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/red-rag-we-are-all-marxists-now.html

We really are all Marxists now.
  • condolences to the Smithson family
  • GeoffM said:

well worth the walk round from John o' groats. saw puffins there too, if I remember correctly
  • Condolences to Mike and his family.

isam said:

who's that?

Incredible that she is still in a job. That in itself is a form of racism.

http://youtu.be/wypTunX3h08
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited November 2013
    ISON still seems to be alive.. Like the US general election that Bush won it's death was called too soon... - The yanks seem to have a habit of making too early predictions about stuff

t-witter.com/chuckdevore/status/406222661266599937/photo/1/large
  • This attack Labour policy then adopt Labour policy seems to all the rage in 10 Downing Street at the moment. Wonder if Red Ed is being paid to help formulate coalition policy?
    Red's been forced to u-turn on the economy,cuts,welfare,free schools,NHS etc

He then fires his bolt too soon and loses his one idea.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    So sorry to hear that, Mike - many sympathies, and to fitalass too.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    My deepest sympathy, Mike, to you and your family.
  • isam said:

isam said:

who's that?

Incredible that she is still in a job. That in itself is a form of racism.

http://youtu.be/wypTunX3h08
    she wouldn't have much chance of getting elected would she? have the tories got any half-decent candidates? I suppose if UKIP did well but not wellenough..
  • and to fitalass too.

Yes indeed, sorry to hear about your rough year fitalass.

Here in Japan, end of year parties are called bounenkai (忘年会)- literally "forgetting year party" (more or less)

Some years really need forgetting like that, I think.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Sorry missed Mike's loss when I read the thread earlier, my sincerest condolences.
  • Time to back a white Christmas if the front pages are accurate.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers/
    Last winter, there were 31,000 excess winter deaths.

• New Thread
This discussion has been closed.