Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories get 3pc closer in the ComRes phone poll for the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories get 3pc closer in the ComRes phone poll for the Indy

The monthly phone poll by ComRes for the Indy is just out and has the Tories up 4 on the very low 28% recorded in October. This move is greater than the margin of error .

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Top prize to Nick Palmer for getting Tory/Lab score spot on
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 42s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead up to 8: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    "But CON strategists might be concerned that the move back to the Tories has not been at the expense of Labour which also moves up."

Not really, the Tories went down 5% last time, and Labour didn't get any benefit from that.

It's a correction to last month's poll, which was an outlier
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    About right, the last poll had the Tories a bit too low.

Why are the Sun tweeting their poll early tonight? It's not great for their lot.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    soaraway Labour..unstoppable...
  • Options

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 42s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead up to 8: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 10%, UKIP 12%

YouGov/The Sunil:

Progressives 50%
    Tory/UKIP 44%
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited November 2013
    So Lab lead in today's polls:

Populus - 5%
    ComRes - 5%
    YouGov - 8%

Average - 6%

YouGov average for last week - ie 5 polls up to Sunday - 6.6%.

Overall very stable position - Lab lead is 6% to 7%.
  • Options
    ComRes/The Sunil:

Progressives 46%
    Tory/UKIP 43%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

FPT
    R0berts said:
    » show previous quotes
    It was indeed! In a way, its good that Tories have revealed their true colours and that all that Cameron PR was just PR guff. The world is back in equilibrium, and the Tories are unelectable again!

In all honesty, it sometimes feels like a lot of the Tories want to be a lot more right wing but their leadership doesn't think it will work and so fight that impression, a lot of LDs (or former LDs anyway) wanted to be a lot more left wing but the leadership wanted to pretend there was an even split between left and right in the party and so fought the impression, whereas most of Labour is closer to the centre now, and the leadership has to fight the impression it is not more left wing. So none of the leaderships seem hugely representative of their base, or totally honest in how they present to the public. It's just a bigger problem for the Tories, particularly as they openly admit to being toxic (which just reinforces the idea for a new generation - if even they keep saying they are, of course it is perpetuated)
  • Options
    The remarkable stability of the Labour share in the high 30s.

A bit of Tory / UKIP bouncing.

Both long standing and settled features of polling, both of which need to change big time or Ed Miliband is PM.
  • Options
    LDs back into single figures. The fact they rarely seem to rise out of them beyond 10-11 with most pollsters, no matter what is happening in the news cycles, make me think a it'll be tough to break into the mid to late teens come GE time.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Labour lead 12% among women

tim on the gender gap is like the Sun tweeting one of their yougov polls, if they dont mention it you can safely guess it's because it doesnt suit them to.
  • Options
    Labour looks to be settling at 40% with Yougov. That swingback had better start to happen soon.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/soaring-house-prices-push-londoners-into-poverty-8879139.html

This one's funny at the end.

"A report, entitled London’s Poverty Profile, says that despite the economic recovery, the capital still has a higher proportion of impoverished residents than anywhere else in the country with 2.1 million people affected over the past three years."

"It says the causes include the spread of low pay, which has seen the numbers paid below the living wage rise to 600,000, 40 per cent higher than five years ago"

"It stresses that the situation can be reversed if the methods used to transform London’s education system are replicated."

The low-paid all take jobs as private tutors?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

tim said:

tim on the gender gap is like the Sun tweeting one of their yougov polls, if they dont mention it you can safely guess it's because it doesnt suit them to.
    Not dissimilar to his sudden reticence to opine on next month's MORI Leaders ratings (you know the Gold Standard). Poor darling, he got November all wrong, and how he's gone all coy and bashful. Isn't he such a dreamboat?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hey, if a guy can get 47% in the first round of an election to his main opponent's 30%, and end up losing 51-49 in the second round as with the Maldives, then anything is possible Tories, believe that. Heck, 37-32 right now doesn't even look that bad, it looks achievable to overturn that in less than two years, unlike some other recent polling.
  • Options
    How many times can I expect BT to reschedule unilaterally my appointment to have a line connected? I'm up to three, with the last two dates both explained to me as "guaranteed". They took great umbrage when I openly doubted the value of the second "guarantee".

Having checked the progress of the booking online, it appears not to have been booked at all.
  • Options
    FPT - re Tessa's potential opponents for Labour's nomination as mayoral candidate. She's retiring from Westminster but wouldnt Khan be hoping to be on the ministerial ladder (in the cabinet no less) after GE 2015? That must surely be more appealing than a non-guaranteed run for London Mayor. It's another reason I'm happy enough to be on Tessa.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    According to ComRes, the public do not trust either David Cameron or Ed Miliband to protect the NHS.

How should I vote on that question if polled without giving a misleading impression? "Protect" sounds like a positive thing when actually it is horribly negative.

Cameron will tinker at the edges of reform and Miliband will pursue policies resulting once again in patients drinking water from vases to stay alive.

I don't want anyone to "protect" the NHS. I think it's an unreformable shambles and needs breaking up and privatisation and an insurance-based solution.

I guess if asked that question I should duck out with a feeble "Don't Know" just to avoid getting misrepresented in the result?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Can somebody explain why the Labour heartlands continue to vote Labour despite a hundred years of evidence that they will do nothing to lift them out of poverty. Large swathes of the north seem to be happy that the only people whose lives are being improved is their Labour MP.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Isn't he such a dreamboat?

I always presumed that the pic he sports on pbc is a photoshop merging of the two dreamboats in your avatar ;)
  • Options
    saddened said:

Can somebody explain why the Labour heartlands continue to vote Labour despite a hundred years of evidence that they will do nothing to lift them out of poverty. Large swathes of the north seem to be happy that the only people whose lives are being improved is their Labour MP.

Stupidity

• Options
    Neil said:

FPT - re Tessa's potential opponents for Labour's nomination as mayoral candidate. She's retiring from Westminster but wouldnt Khan be hoping to be on the ministerial ladder (in the cabinet no less) after GE 2015? That must surely be more appealing than a non-guaranteed run for London Mayor. It's another reason I'm happy enough to be on Tessa.

A valid point. Why make a run for Mayor unless you're a has been former minister, or it is your only hope of making your name and reputation for the top job through a risky hail mary pass? Khan will presumably be in with a shout for decent ministry and who knows from there, no need to try an unconventional route like Boris, who had little choice otherwise.
  • Options
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

Isn't he such a dreamboat?

I always presumed that the pic he sports on pbc is a photoshop merging of the two dreamboats in your avatar ;)
    Not a lot you can say to that.
  • Options
    tim said:

Neil said:

tim said:

The Labour lead was 10 among women with Populus this morning and 12 with YouGov yesterday and I didn't mention either.
    I've assumed that everyone now realises how the Chums repel women.

On the Tories are for the rich question it's even among men but +16 among women.
    No need to get shirty, pimplemousse, tell us about MORI next month.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

Can somebody explain why the Labour heartlands continue to vote Labour despite a hundred years of evidence that they will do nothing to lift them out of poverty.

Labour significantly reduced child and pensioner poverty between 1997 and 2010.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

How many times can I expect BT to reschedule unilaterally my appointment to have a line connected? I'm up to three, with the last two dates both explained to me as "guaranteed". They took great umbrage when I openly doubted the value of the second "guarantee".

Having checked the progress of the booking online, it appears not to have been booked at all.

Ah. That sounds like a good one for Ed to have a crack at. You should email him.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

antifrank said:

Ah. That sounds like a good one for Ed to have a crack at. You should email him.
    No thanks. Ed Miliband is fond of meaningless guarantees himself.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    OT Just heard about setting a rate limit for pay day loans. Odd concept for a Tory government is it not? The sort of gimmick Ed might have dreamt up.

I can't say I agree with it at all unless they want to go the whole way and nationalize money lending
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

I've never understood this either. I get tribalistic support is a thing, and it's stupid in the Tory heartlands as well, but when life was crap with Labour power and is crap under the Tories (or to put another way, the areas which were more deprived before are generally the ones which are more deprived now), why is there so rarely a reaction against that every now and then with a revolt against the established power in the area?

I mean, it took the local steel plant going belly up in Redcar and Cleveland, making hundreds upon hundreds redundant and angry, to break the Labour grip in that constituency (25+% swing to the LDs), is that the only thing that can break such a political grip? After all, apparently even when people in the north or other labour heartlands support Tory policies they won't vote for the party en masse regardless, but why? If Labour are the ones who look out for those areas, did they not do enough to redress the imbalance? Maybe things really did get better under Labour, and those areas are not as bleak as gloomy economic pictures would suggest, but the accepted political narrative is that London and the rest of the South still always benefit more, with a widening gap often claimed too.

So have those areas improved significantly, just not as much as the already richer areas so it only seems like there's been no benefit to the support of Labour?

Eh, I find it hard to figure out, mostly because out here in the Tory shires anyone not a Tory votes LD instead, so I never run into any Labour supporters to ask their thoughts on the matter, and the lack of Labour support seems as arbitrary as the overabundance of it in other areas.

Tribalism is just stupid, whichever party it is focused on, especially when both main parties fight over the centre ground rather than rigidly stick to some supposed central ideology to define them, using those ideologies as convenient set dressing only.
  • Options
    Neil said:

saddened said:

Can somebody explain why the Labour heartlands continue to vote Labour despite a hundred years of evidence that they will do nothing to lift them out of poverty.

Shame that those same children will be paying off the debt used to do it.

• Options
    saddened said:

Ever thought you are wrong and the millions casting their votes are right, when it comes to the wellbeing of the millions casting their votes?
  • Options
    saddened said:

1. Different reasons in different places.

2. In some places they know Labour is indifferent but they think Tories actively want to harm them - so it's a logical choice, or would be if Labour didn't want to actively harm them as well.

3. Broke people get more nurse-clingy so the poorer people get the more nurse-clingy they get.

4. various others
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

Ever thought you are wrong and the millions casting their votes are right, when it comes to the wellbeing of the millions casting their votes?
    No

• Options
    kle4 said:

saddened said:

I've never understood this either. I get tribalistic support is a thing, and it's stupid in the Tory heartlands as well, but when life was crap with Labour power and is crap under the Tories (or to put another way, the areas which were more deprived before are generally the ones which are more deprived now), why is there so rarely a reaction against that every now and then with a revolt against the established power in the area?

I mean, it took the local steel plant going belly up in Redcar and Cleveland, making hundreds upon hundreds redundant and angry, to break the Labour grip in that constituency (25+% swing to the LDs), is that the only thing that can break such a political grip? After all, apparently even when people in the north or other labour heartlands support Tory policies they won't vote for the party en masse regardless, but why? If Labour are the ones who look out for those areas, did they not do enough to redress the imbalance?

Eh, I find it hard to figure out, mostly because out here in the Tory shires anyone not a Tory votes LD instead, so I never run into any Labour supporters to ask their thoughts on the matter, and the lack of Labour support seems as arbitrary as the overabundance of it in other areas.
    Labour generally do more for the poor / disenfranchised than the alternatives, and the poor / disenfranchised aren't thick, they have recognised this and tended to support Labour as a result.

The Tories generally do more for the rich and powerful than the alternatives, and the rich and powerful aren't thick, they have recognised this and tended to support the Tories.

Don't over-analyse it, it aint rocket science!
  • Options
    tim said:

@DJack_Journo: Cameron warned by 25 normally loyal MPs he risks party split if he ditches green policies as sop to the Right. Tomorrow's @thetimes splash

Wow. Cameron has some loyal MPs?
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

people can vote for who they like. If the people in some of the less "attractive" areas are happy to see no change in their life style good luck to them, but I'll never understand it.

• Options
    R0berts said:

kle4 said:

saddened said:

I mean, it took the local steel plant going belly up in Redcar and Cleveland, making hundreds upon hundreds redundant and angry, to break the Labour grip in that constituency (25+% swing to the LDs), is that the only thing that can break such a political grip? After all, apparently even when people in the north or other labour heartlands support Tory policies they won't vote for the party en masse regardless, but why? If Labour are the ones who look out for those areas, did they not do enough to redress the imbalance?

Labour generally do more for the poor / disenfranchised than the alternatives, and the poor / disenfranchised aren't thick, they have recognised this and tended to support Labour as a result.

The Tories generally do more for the rich and powerful than the alternatives, and the rich and powerful aren't thick, they have recognised this and tended to support the Tories.

Don't over-analyse it, it aint rocket science!
    I try not to, although I'd still put 'traditionally' before the 'generally' bit of your post. They borrow of each other thesedays so there's no guarantee the Labour/Tory party you elect will follow the same traditional pattern, even if both sides are full of people who want them to.
  • Options
    saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

people can vote for who they like. If the people in some of the less "attractive" areas are happy to see no change in their life style good luck to them, but I'll never understand it.

They vote to have Labour Governments because their lives would be better under a Labour Government than a Tory one.

Exactly the same reason the Tory shires vote to have Tory Governments.
  • Options
    ' Nick Boles, the Planning Minister and an ally of David Cameron, warned last week that “the single biggest problem the Conservative Party faces is being seen as the party of the rich.” '

For those who don't know him Nick Boles is:

Son of a knight
    Educated at Winchester
    Oxford PPE
    Harvard
    Westminster councillor (West End ward)
    Flatshared with Michael Gove
    Thinktank wonker
    Dismal performance in winnable constituency in 2005
    Given safe seat in 2010

I wonder if he's ever thought of helping the Conservative party with its image as 'party of the rich' by facking off and letting a self-made local person be MP for Grantham & Stamford ?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

Shame that those same children will be paying off the debt used to do it.

Nah, they won't be paying off the debt, just creating new debt for their children to pay it off. The system works!

Apropos of nothing, spoke to a financial adviser the other day, and he suggested we'd both need to work until we died, which was a surprisingly frank assessment I have to say. On the upside, since I have no dependents he agreed I didn't have to give much of a sh*t about leaving behind any debts.
  • Options
    Dear oh dear oh dear.

Here are the full tables:

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/Independent_Political_Poll_26th_November_2013.pdf

Let me draw your attention to two rather significant points, which oddly enough the Indy write-up fails to highlight:

a) Question 6: "Do you agree or disagree with each of the following statements ...
    The present Government has a better record on the NHS than the previous Labour Government". The options offered are Agree, Disagree, Don't know. Note the lack of an 'About the same' option, so any one who thinks the record is much the same is pushed into the 'Disagree' column. In fact, as (to be fair) the Indy write-up does grudgingly mention, the difference between trust in Cameron and Miliband on the NHS is remarkably small, given that this is an issue on which traditionally Labour have had a big lead. I'd suggest this indicates the exact opposite of what the Indy claim: that attempts by ministers to blame Labour for the problems in the NHS are actually succeeding reasonably well, inasmuch as they seem to be largely neutralising an issue which is usually a problem for them.

b) The question on whether the Conservative Party 'only represents interests of the rich' is about as leading a question as you could ask for, and yet the split is only 51%/42%. Not bad for a question inviting a raspberry in mid-term. I wonder what the response would have been in, say, 2006 about the Labour government? Or what it would be now if they asked whether Labour 'only represents interests of the public sector and the unions'?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    edited November 2013
    UKPR polling average just updated tonight.

Lab lead is now 6% (was 8% at the last update which was 11 days ago).

So no significant change but possibly very slight move to Con.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    By the by, best story of the day for me was the one on the Catholic survey thing, with some impressive questions

Describe how the Catholic Church's teachings on the value of the family contained in the Bible, Gaudium et Spes, Familiaris Consortio and other documents of the post-conciliar Magisterium is understood by people today? What formation is given to our people on the Church's teaching on family life?

Could a simplification of canonical practice in recognizing a declaration of nullity of the marriage bond provide a positive contribution to solving the problems of the persons involved? If yes, what form would it take?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/willheaven/100247501/pope-franciss-modern-life-survey-is-a-monumental-waste-of-time-heres-a-taster/
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

kle4 said:

tim said:

@DJack_Journo: Cameron warned by 25 normally loyal MPs he risks party split if he ditches green policies as sop to the Right. Tomorrow's @thetimes splash

It's difficult to know what they are loyal to though, tiny windmill up or tiny windmill down?
    Being loyal to Daves core beliefs when he doesn't have any cant be easy.
    Free thinkers v the borg party,you decide ;-)

• Options
    saddened said:

Seems a very statist approach to think that simply voting for a political party will change one's lifestyle.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    Neil said:

The golden economic legacy Labour inherited, combined with a massive boom in tax revenues from financial services and from a buoyant world economy, supplemented by a fiscal deficit, and by deferred spending from hugely expensive PFI schemes, may indeed have misled people to think that, yes.
  • Options
    tim said:

kle4 said:

tim said:

It's difficult to know what they are loyal to though, tiny windmill up or tiny windmill down?
    Being loyal to Daves core beliefs when he doesn't have any cant be easy.
    Being loyal to beliefs is a big no-no thesedays. You've got to be flexible in case it turns out Karl Marx or Maggie Thatcher's views might not accord with the vascillations of public opinion, so you cannot be a committed Marxist or Thatherite. It's just about backing the right horse and making sure you jump when they jump.

Actually that was probably always true, it just wasn't as obvious.

• Options

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Trust with the NHS among VI (net)
    Cameron: +44
    Miliband: +31

Great job on a traditional Labour strength Ed!

• Options
    "Attempts by ministers to blame Labour for the problems in the NHS appear to have failed. Asked whether the present Government has a better record on the NHS than the previous Labour Government, 28% agree but 57% disagree."

Not at all surprising. I'm amazed that the Tories can't understand the concept known to every advertiser that the more publicity you give to a product the more you benefit the market leader. To take market share off the market leader is very difficult and in the particular circumstances of the UK about as easy as selling sand to the Libyans

I'm absolutely certain that one of the reasons for Labour's widening poll lead is that Hunt is never off air.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

They vote to have Labour Governments because their lives would be better under a Labour Government than a Tory one.

How exactly did 13 years of a Labour government improve the lives of those in the sink estates of the north of England. The people of Wythenshaw really leapt up the quality of life ladder didn't they?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358

Simper.

Had a Swiss group tonight with two unexpected reactions (to me anyway). On the downside they said their London youth hostel was incredibly filthy - "I've been in cleaner hostels in Africa", said one girl. On the upside they asked how we'd solved the problem of football hooliganism. They went to the Chelsea game last night and were bemused by the absence of police, netting airport-style scanners, etc. Apparently trouble at footie is routine in Switzerland now and people talk enviously of how the wise British solved the problem by, er, making everyone sit down. People even drink beer at matches and they don't fight, said one chap enviously.

Is that right? A long time since I went to a match, but now they mention it I've not heard of many fights lately.

• Options
    biggest credit bubble in history 1998-2008
  • Options
    Neil said:

saddened said:

And put social and economic mobility into reverse.

So how did they allow the rich to get richer while still reducing the poverty of the poorest via increased welfare handouts ?

By impoverishing those in the middle and forcing them into welfare dependency (which also has the effect of creating more voters dependent upon big government).

£100bn+ more debt each and every year is required to keep this impoverishment hidden.
  • Options
    saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

How exactly did 13 years of a Labour government improve the lives of those in the sink estates of the north of England. The people of Wythenshaw really leapt up the quality of life ladder didn't they?
    You really can't get your head around this can you?
  • Options

Simper.

Had a Swiss group tonight with two unexpected reactions (to me anyway). On the downside they said their London youth hostel was incredibly filthy - "I've been in cleaner hostels in Africa", said one girl. On the upside they asked how we'd solved the problem of football hooliganism. They went to the Chelsea game last night and were bemused by the absence of police, netting airport-style scanners, etc. Apparently trouble at footie is routine in Switzerland now and people talk enviously of how the wise British solved the problem by, er, making everyone sit down. People even drink beer at matches and they don't fight, said one chap enviously.

Is that right? A long time since I went to a match, but now they mention it I've not heard of many fights lately.

Given how expensive seats are in the Top flight, I'd just assumed there was less fighting because everyone was upper middle class and didn't want to damage their name brand jackets, designer shades or gucci loafers.

Admittedly the tv seems to show it's just ordinary people, so the theory doesn't work out, although seriously, were prices massively cheap in the 80s? If I ever went to a match I wouldn't want to fight given I'd paid so much to get in to watch the damn thing.

Great success story, football hooliganism. I was told in school they used to rank clubs by hooligan activity in the papers, and it just made them try and compete against each in hooligan terms even more. Days long past it seems.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Feel free to explain.

• Options
    saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Feel free to explain.

I have trouble understanding why a middle class Tory in the shires votes Tory, when the Tory preference for big business / the super rich, and Tory hostility to Europe, immigration, universal healthcare, education, state infrastructure etc is so obviously against middle-class Shire interests.

Are Shire Tories just thick? Is it dependency? Is it "coz Dad and Grandad voted Tory"? I can't understand!

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited November 2013

I'd guess the football demographic have changed from young working class males to middle age, middle class. Possibly this is the result of the high ticket prices.
  • Options
    Guardian front page - Energy Giant axes £4bn Turbine Project:

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/88881/the_guardian_tuesday_26th_november_2013.html

Grauniad blames green subsidies cuts, and I'm sure Ed's price freeze had nothing to do with it....
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Perhaps you could get your head around explaining how Labour helped the working class blokes I worked with but who had to be made redundant in 2008-2009.

Labour found plenty of taxpayers money to keep the likes of Applegarth and Goodwin in luxury for life and to subsidise the profits of Chinese tat factories.

It was all the more enjoyable to know that some of that taxpayers money Labour was handing out to its banker mates was from money we'd paid over every month.

• Options

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Perhaps you could get your head around explaining how Labour helped the working class blokes I worked with but who had to be made redundant in 2008-2009.
    And those who kept their jobs saw no real wage growth from 2003...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    saddened said:

It's the next slavery scandal. Millions of people have been brainwashed into believing in the money tree . Those wanting to leave the sect are told that the Tories will eat their babies. Their Leader has a Marxist philosophy and is paid for by a tax on workers.

• Options
    OT. Houses for £70,000 built in a factory in Manchester.

http://www.dwelle.co.uk/
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Feel free to explain.

I have trouble understanding why a middle class Tory in the shires votes Tory, when the Tory preference for big business / the super rich, and Tory hostility to Europe, immigration, universal healthcare, education, state infrastructure etc is so obviously against middle-class Shire interests.

Are Shire Tories just thick? Is it dependency? Is it "coz Dad and Grandad voted Tory"? I can't understand!

It would have been quicker to admit you've no clue.
  • Options
    perdix said:

saddened said:

It's the next slavery scandal. Millions of people have been brainwashed into believing in the money tree . Those wanting to leave the sect are told that the Tories will eat their babies. Their Leader has a Marxist philosophy and is paid for by a tax on workers.
    That's a very good summary and depressingly accurate.

• Options
    saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Feel free to explain.

Jesus Christ, bring back SeanT and his Bad Science!

Look, if I vote for a party you don't like, it will never look rational to you. Start from there and work forwards, slowly.
  • Options

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

And those who kept their jobs saw no real wage growth from 2003...
    To be honest they actually did where I work, but only because of investment in training and increased productivity and because the work was too highly skilled to be affected by economic migrants.

It was those workers a couple of steps further down the ladder who were already getting poorer before the recession.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,981
    JonathanD said:

I'd guess the football demographic have changed from young working class males to middle age, middle class. Possibly this is the result of the high ticket prices.

G Nev wrote about it earlier this month

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2485471/Next-generation-danger-priced-game-Gary-Neville-column.html

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Roger said:

Houses the size of sheds.

For that kind of money, there are better options.

http://www.barnhaus.org
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Simper.

Given how expensive seats are in the Top flight, I'd just assumed there was less fighting because everyone was upper middle class and didn't want to damage their name brand jackets, designer shades or gucci loafers.

Admittedly the tv seems to show it's just ordinary people, so the theory doesn't work out, although seriously, were prices massively cheap in the 80s? If I ever went to a match I wouldn't want to fight given I'd paid so much to get in to watch the damn thing.

Great success story, football hooliganism. I was told in school they used to rank clubs by hooligan activity in the papers, and it just made them try and compete against each in hooligan terms even more. Days long past it seems.
    I could do a long piece on football hooliganism and the way it is dealt with. I am a Chelsea fan and followed them home and away during the worst years of hooliganism and saw much rioting, I should point out that I was never involved.

If anyone is remotely interested I'll do some work on it, but I'm too knackered now.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

Feel free to explain.

Jesus Christ, bring back SeanT and his Bad Science!

Look, if I vote for a party you don't like, it will never look rational to you. Start from there and work forwards, slowly.
    Labour has never left office with unemployment lower than when it came into office. They imported huge numbers of people willing to take up the low skilled jobs that were traditionally carried out by people who would be normally vote Labour and they still insist on self harming. Weird.

• Options
    kle4 said:

By the by, best story of the day for me was the one on the Catholic survey thing, with some impressive questions

Describe how the Catholic Church's teachings on the value of the family contained in the Bible, Gaudium et Spes, Familiaris Consortio and other documents of the post-conciliar Magisterium is understood by people today? What formation is given to our people on the Church's teaching on family life?

Could a simplification of canonical practice in recognizing a declaration of nullity of the marriage bond provide a positive contribution to solving the problems of the persons involved? If yes, what form would it take?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/willheaven/100247501/pope-franciss-modern-life-survey-is-a-monumental-waste-of-time-heres-a-taster/

Ah yes, I saw this too. Being a Christian (although not of the Roman Catholic flavour) I was interested to see what the Roman Catholic Church was asking its members / followers. The full survey in Word format (and Surveymonkey, if you care to click through all the questions) is linked off the Catholic News website.

I'd kind of understand having questions like this ('Gaudium et Spes'? 'Post-conciliar Magisterium'?) if it was directed at priests and other RCC staff but apparently it's not; the survey asks people to say in what capacity they are completing it, with the second (of many) options being 'lay person'. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating the theological knowledge of practising RCCs...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    snip
  • Options
    @saddened

Tory Governments always wreck public services that Tory voters in the Shires rely on directly and indirectly, yet those middle class Southern people insist in self harming. Weird.

Come on, put some effort in!
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    kle4 said:

It's so long only 20 have been printed in my parish.

The priests have said go online to fill in the answers. Few will bother.

What's the point of having bishops (i.e. Apostolic Successors) in an apostolic church if they are relying on the laity to do the theological work?
  • Options

I could do a long piece on football hooliganism and the way it is dealt with. I am a Chelsea fan and followed them home and away during the worst years of hooliganism and saw much rioting, I should point out that I was never involved.

If anyone is remotely interested I'll do some work on it, but I'm too knackered now.

I'd be mildly interested - always good to hear of something that works, maybe the techniques can be applied more widely?

• Options

I'd kind of understand having questions like this ('Gaudium et Spes'? 'Post-conciliar Magisterium'?) if it was directed at priests and other RCC staff but apparently it's not; the survey asks people to say in what capacity they are completing it, with the second (of many) options being 'lay person'. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating the theological knowledge of practising RCCs...

Yes, I get the drift of the questions and feel I'd rather have a meal with the authors than with the Telegraph journo, but they do seem unreasonably obscure. There's a FAQ that goes with them, including this rather defensive exchange:

Why can't you simplify the questions?

These questions were not devised by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales but by the Ordinary Council of the Synod during their last meeting with the Holy Father. Any comments about the questions are best directed to the Synod Secretariat.

The address is:

Via della Conciliazione
    34 – 00120 Vatican City

Email: synodus@synod.va
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    edited November 2013
    isam said:

Is this new?

She only became Sports Minister last month.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I like the design of the £70,000 houses.

Unfortunately the cost of the site in the SE of England would be over £200,000.

• Options
    isam said:

No one remembers Bartoli winning Wimbledon this year.

I suggest that knowledge of individual winners and sports pesonalities is not a competence required for the ministers job. Good judgement is what's needed in ministers and the ability to know what are the right questions to ask of their civil servants.

This discussion has been closed.