Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s Choice

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s Choice

There is an ancient tradition in Britain of beating the bounds, where once a year, various members of the community walk the boundaries of their parish to fix its location and protect it from encroachment. In some cases, they would take boys and whip them, with the intent that such a traumatic event would be fixed in their memory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    oh and 1st
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    She seems very nice-certainly more pleasant and brighter than Corbyn or Johnson-but she's no Nicola Sturgeon. If she was leading Labour Johnson wouldn't be in the race.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Swinson low, sweet chariot.
  • Options
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325
    edited November 2019
    Roger said:

She seems very nice-certainly more pleasant and brighter than Corbyn or Johnson-but she's no Nicola Sturgeon. If she was leading Labour Johnson wouldn't be in the race.

Swinson is too nice. Nicola Sturgeon has that loathable "quality"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    There is an ancient tradition in Britain of beating the bounds, where once a year, various members of the community walk the boundaries of their parish to fix its location and protect it from encroachment.

That tradition must have died out given how nebulous the knowledge of boundaries can be.

On topic, I think it is true the LDs have no good options in the event of a hung parliament, but maintaining a stance of supporting neither in any way looks worst to me - another GE happening without a brexit deal or a referendum agreement is unlikely to see a mass surge to the LDs I think.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    FPT:
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 42% (+1)
    LAB: 31% (-2)
    LDM: 15% (+1)
    BXP: 5% (=)

Via @SavantaComRes, 18-19 Nov.
    Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Labour down with the Tories and LDs gaining, great poll for the Tories
    Average of 4 polls so far this week:

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    The average Tory lead was 15.5% at this stage in GE2017, but it had already begun to fall.
    In 2017 the Tories began the campaign on 50%, so it was difficult for them to go in any other direction than down.
    Fake news.

The Tories didn't begin GE17 on 50% - the average of the six polls before the election was called was 42.8%. It rose during the first few weeks of the election, to sit in the 45-50% range, then fell back to the 40-45% range during the last three weeks.

They really go down that much though, it was more that Labour went up.
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    The average Tory lead was 15.5% at this stage in GE2017, but it had already begun to fall.
    In 2017 the Tories began the campaign on 50%, so it was difficult for them to go in any other direction than down.
    Fake news.

The Tories didn't begin GE17 on 50% - the average of the six polls before the election was called was 42.8%. It rose during the first few weeks of the election, to sit in the 45-50% range, then fell back to the 40-45% range during the last three weeks.

This was also my understanding.

And indeed they are still just about, under where they were in 2017.

But crucially for me anyway, Johnson is a lot less popular than May was. Albeit Corbyn is a lot less popular too.
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

There was only poll with the Tories on 50%.
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

YouGov I think just after the election was called?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    dr_spyn said:
    He had 10,000 women.....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    dr_spyn said:
    Would never happen under Francis II
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Can only get stronger with the NI announcement. Excellent move by Boris and the Tories. :D

Tories winning over voters they haven't connected with since the glory days of Maggie...
  • Options
    edited November 2019

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

YouGov I think just after the election was called?
    ComRes 19-20 April - Lab on 25%, LDs on 11% - a 25% lead!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,056
    kle4 said:

There is an ancient tradition in Britain of beating the bounds, where once a year, various members of the community walk the boundaries of their parish to fix its location and protect it from encroachment.

That tradition must have died out given how nebulous the knowledge of boundaries can be.

On topic, I think it is true the LDs have no good options in the event of a hung parliament, but maintaining a stance of supporting neither in any way looks worst to me - another GE happening without a brexit deal or a referendum agreement is unlikely to see a mass surge to the LDs I think.

The result that gets the Lib Dems out of jail is where Labour + SNP > Conservative. Even if the SNP do very well, Labour would have to lose fewer seats than the Tories to let that happen.

Still, I think I'd class it as the sort of problem it's good to have. Rather Clegg than Farron I would have thought.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    He had 10,000 women.....
    FPT
    He is part of the *institution* of the Monarchy...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325

dr_spyn said:
    He had 10,000 women.....
    Superb
  • Options
    https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Final-Telegraph-Tables-20c11d19h.pdf

49% of 18-24 year olds will definitely vote. 79% of 65+.

Anyone know how that compares to 2017?
  • Options
    An election candidate standing in the same seat as Anna Soubry has been found guilty of harassing her and banned from campaigning in the constituency.

English Democrat candidate Amy Dalla Mura is standing in Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, which Ms Soubry has represented since 2010.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard the defendant repeatedly targeted the Independent Group for Change candidate and called her a traitor on television.

She will be sentenced on 16 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50494287
  • Options
    I think the big challenge for the Tories is GOTV. Labour and LDs have a very motivated core, but the Tories have attracted a lot of people who really aren't that interested in politics, they "just want Brexit done". They might do a bit of retweeting/sharing of dark FB posts, but they don't really *love* the Tories or *hate* Corbyn, (in fact, they may even have a sneaky wish for a bit of wealth redistribution). It's just when polled they just want Brexit more.

I still think the Tories are nailed on for a majority. I just think there will be quite a few close battles where a combination of tactical voting, a good ground campaign and a bit of last-minute reverting to type might claw back 10-20 seats that the national calculus seems to predict. I think we're in 20-30 Tory majority territory.
  • Options

I think the big challenge for the Tories is GOTV. Labour and LDs have a very motivated core, but the Tories have attracted a lot of people who really aren't that interested in politics, they "just want Brexit done". They might do a bit of retweeting/sharing of dark FB posts, but they don't really *love* the Tories or *hate* Corbyn, (in fact, they may even have a sneaky wish for a bit of wealth redistribution). It's just when polled they just want Brexit more.

I still think the Tories are nailed on for a majority. I just think there will be quite a few close battles where a combination of tactical voting, a good ground campaign and a bit of last-minute reverting to type might claw back 10-20 seats that the national calculus seems to predict. I think we're in 20-30 Tory majority territory.

There's also an element of the polling I think.

If the Tories are miles ahead, will people bother to vote?

I think the Labour/Lib Dem vote is in general more tactical and more willing to vote, as we saw in 2017.

I still think it will be a lot closer than people think, so 10-20 seems feasible. Although for now I stick with a Hung Parliament as being very possible.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Resigning to spend less time with his family?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Final-Telegraph-Tables-20c11d19h.pdf

YouGov did a big survey, slightly different age brackets:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election

Looks like c. 58% of 18-24 and c. 80% of 65+ voted in 2017

Edit: That's the actual vote, not how people intended to vote, so not really comparing like with like.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Labour will promise free social care like in Scotland.

They need to narrow the tories advantage with the grey vote somewhat.
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

But crucially for me anyway, Johnson is a lot less popular than May was. Albeit Corbyn is a lot less popular too.
    I just don't see the 'Johnson a lot less popular than May' argument. No-one liked May, they 'respected' her. Johnson seriously divides opinion, and that's a whole different ballgame. Once your tribe sees how you rile the opposition, they'll double down on lining up behind you. There are a lot of shy Johnsonians out there...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-impact/the-myth-of-the-2017-youthquake-election/#.XdW8-uj7RPY

Graph of probability of voting versus age near the beginning of the post.

Comparing with this 2017 survey data, a 49% figure could suggest an increase in youth turnout this time around, though of course some of the respondents might actually find better things to do with their time on the big day. We shall see.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

I just don't see the 'Johnson a lot less popular than May' argument. No-one liked May, they 'respected' her. Johnson seriously divides opinion, and that's a whole different ballgame. Once your tribe sees how you rile the opposition, they'll double down on lining up behind you. There are a lot of shy Johnsonians out there...
    No one liked May...so that's why she went in with - from what I recall - higher ratings than Thatcher?

I know what the atmosphere was like. And it wasn't as you describe.

I think there are a lot of shy Labourites as well, they just need a reason to come home.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That's the best polling result for Labour all campaign. If they can make it back up to the high 30s they're quite likely to bring the lead down to 5% at most, and then they're in the game.

I wouldn't say it was likely, but they haven't lost yet.
  • Options

I think the Labour/Lib Dem vote is in general more tactical and more willing to vote, as we saw in 2017.

I still think it will be a lot closer than people think, so 10-20 seems feasible. Although for now I stick with a Hung Parliament as being very possible.
    Yes. Tighter votes = higher turnout.

So I guess we should expect plenty of "if this man is elected, will the last one out switch out the lights"-style headlines in the last few days to scare the complacent faithful...

Although they've already compared Corbyn to Hitler *and* Stalin, so difficult to know where to go next. Idi Amin? Vlad Dracul?
  • Options
    https://labourlist.org/2019/11/labour-will-guarantee-a-guard-on-every-train-to-boost-accessibility/

Interesting with the coming SWR strike.

My perception is that most people hate the striking but probably agree with having a guard on the train. Any polls done on it?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2019
    I presume we have done this? More of the same trend of Tories extending their lead with Labour stuck on ~30%.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1197268701474635781?s=20
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Labour need a snow bizzard.
  • Options

Yes. Tighter votes = higher turnout.

So I guess we should expect plenty of "if this man is elected, will the last one out switch out the lights"-style headlines in the last few days to scare the complacent faithful...

Although they've already compared Corbyn to Hitler *and* Stalin, so difficult to know where to go next. Idi Amin? Vlad Dracul?
    I still think "get Brexit done" is going to backfire.

If that NHS figure continues to go up, Labour is in with a real chance of pulling some undecidids back.

Unlike 2017 where it was just a hunch that Labour would cause a Hung Parliament (and I was right, I got 5/1), I can very easily see how it happens this time.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

The final Comres in 2017 was 72% 18-24 , 88% of 65+.

At a roughly similar time in the campaign to now the Comres poll had 58% 18-24 , 83% of 65+.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    Seeing Jojo's interview with Laura K, she appears to be angling to become PM with a government of national unity.

Has she been binge-watching Borgen?
  • Options
    FPT
    eek said:

Actually that's not 100% correct. Cutting taxes does actually benefit those not currently paying the tax by encouraging them to earn more. Taxes put off people from earning more, especially when this combines with other taxes and/or the removal of benefits.

The minimum wage for over 25s (living wage) is £8.21 per hour. 30 hours per week at £8.21 per hour takes you to £12.8k per annum. 20 hours per week at £8.21 takes you to £8.5k per annum.

If someone is currently working at 20 hours per week and is worried about the impact on taxes and the withdrawal of benefits and this change encourages them to increase to working 30 hour per week then theoretically they would have been classed as not gaining from this change previously but the reality is they gain more than anyone else.

That is why some tax stats never add up, because they forget that changing tax rates and thresholds changes behaviour.

If you are working 20 hours a week and qualify for working tax credits - chances are they a single parent with children in school or nursery and cannot work more hours due to child care reasons.
    Maybe, maybe not. I have known a lot of people working 20 hours who don't want to work more because they think its not worth it due to taxes/benefits.

I've also known a smaller number of people who legitimately work 20 hours then work cash in hand more hours so they don't lose their benefits or pay taxes.

Not everyone is the same. The fraud cases are a small proportion but the people who are put off working more they could work as it is "not worth it" are much, much higher.

That is why IMO merging Income Tax and NICs is a good start but not enough IMO. Income Tax, NICs and Universal Credit should all be merged and nobody should be taxed at a high percentage. If you're losing 65% of every pound you earn due to lost Universal Credit and 12p in every pound you earn due to NICs then your effective income tax is 77%.

We wouldn't tax higher earners at 77% so why do we tax the poor at that rate? No wonder people think working 20 hours is enough and no point working more! This NIC change is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCNWT/status/1197196302024617985

Yup go to a key marginal and say this. Win them over
  • Options
    Roger said:

You obviously missed the footage of the old lady in the shopmobility during the floods...while all the yuff were stuck inside.
  • Options

I presume we have done this? More of the same trend of Tories extending their lead with Labour stuck on ~30%.

I have a feeling Labour will start to fall back into the 20s as we get closer to polling day...
  • Options

At a roughly similar time in the campaign to now the Comres poll had 58% 18-24 , 83% of 65+.
    So bizarrely both are down, which is interesting.

That youth vote needs to surge - and surge quickly.

I'm thinking it will, there's a lot on the line for young people this time around
  • Options

An election candidate standing in the same seat as Anna Soubry has been found guilty of harassing her and banned from campaigning in the constituency.

English Democrat candidate Amy Dalla Mura is standing in Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, which Ms Soubry has represented since 2010.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard the defendant repeatedly targeted the Independent Group for Change candidate and called her a traitor on television.

She will be sentenced on 16 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50494287

A quick Google of this candidate gives some interesting results.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I have a feeling Labour will start to fall back into the 20s as we get closer to polling day...
    I think it really depends if Lib Dems can get an visibility and their policies are well received. I am not sure the target market of middle / upper middle class Remainers are going to love what was announced today.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    So what shithousery will Cummings get upto for the Labour manifesto tomorrow? 😉
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

No one liked May...so that's why she went in with - from what I recall - higher ratings than Thatcher?

I think there are a lot of shy Labourites as well, they just need a reason to come home.
    I still maintain that people respected her for the whole 'strong and stable' schtick (before it started to curdle) but they never 'liked' her in the same way that Boris' supporters like him. They respected her for trying to square the Brexit circle, and trying to be the grown up after the nasty boys had smashed the windows and run away.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think it really depends if Lib Dems can get an visibility and their policies are well received. I am not sure the target market of middle / upper middle class Remainers are going to love what was announced today.
    Is it just me or was the Lib Dem manifesto a bit, well, boring?
  • Options

Rebranding the Tory twitter accounts as Labour and posting totally batshit policies...oh wait Labour will do that for themselves.
  • Options

https://labourlist.org/2019/11/labour-will-guarantee-a-guard-on-every-train-to-boost-accessibility/

My perception is that most people hate the striking but probably agree with having a guard on the train. Any polls done on it?

And if their season ticket goes up 5% to pay for those guards?
  • Options

FPT

eek said:

Actually that's not 100% correct. Cutting taxes does actually benefit those not currently paying the tax by encouraging them to earn more. Taxes put off people from earning more, especially when this combines with other taxes and/or the removal of benefits.

The minimum wage for over 25s (living wage) is £8.21 per hour. 30 hours per week at £8.21 per hour takes you to £12.8k per annum. 20 hours per week at £8.21 takes you to £8.5k per annum.

If someone is currently working at 20 hours per week and is worried about the impact on taxes and the withdrawal of benefits and this change encourages them to increase to working 30 hour per week then theoretically they would have been classed as not gaining from this change previously but the reality is they gain more than anyone else.

That is why some tax stats never add up, because they forget that changing tax rates and thresholds changes behaviour.

If you are working 20 hours a week and qualify for working tax credits - chances are they a single parent with children in school or nursery and cannot work more hours due to child care reasons.
    Maybe, maybe not. I have known a lot of people working 20 hours who don't want to work more because they think its not worth it due to taxes/benefits.

I've also known a smaller number of people who legitimately work 20 hours then work cash in hand more hours so they don't lose their benefits or pay taxes.

Not everyone is the same. The fraud cases are a small proportion but the people who are put off working more they could work as it is "not worth it" are much, much higher.

That is why IMO merging Income Tax and NICs is a good start but not enough IMO. Income Tax, NICs and Universal Credit should all be merged and nobody should be taxed at a high percentage. If you're losing 65% of every pound you earn due to lost Universal Credit and 12p in every pound you earn due to NICs then your effective income tax is 77%.

We wouldn't tax higher earners at 77% so why do we tax the poor at that rate? No wonder people think working 20 hours is enough and no point working more! This NIC change is a step in the right direction.
    Osborne took money out of Universal Credit, forcing the withdrawal rate higher. Possibly IDS resigned over it, I don't recall. Put more money into it and you can return the rate to the 55% it was when IDS first introduced it - would be a start.
  • Options

I'm thinking it will, there's a lot on the line for young people this time around
    The mood is very different this time.

In 2017 the graduates in our firm were all for Corbyn. Very much so.

Now nothing. More Green if anything at all. Corbyns lost his shine. Yesterday’s news.
  • Options

Roger said:

You obviously missed the footage of the old lady in the shopmobility during the floods...while all the yuff were stuck inside.
    Checked the long-range forecast. Currently 'above average temps for the time of year' but there may be some rain...
  • Options

I've got to say so far I can't fault the Con campaign... And I was one of the few on here that saw the pitfalls of their 2010 campaign and said they'd blown it when they launched the manifesto in 2017.
  • Options

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

I still maintain that people respected her for the whole 'strong and stable' schtick (before it started to curdle) but they never 'liked' her in the same way that Boris' supporters like him. They respected her for trying to square the Brexit circle, and trying to be the grown up after the nasty boys had smashed the windows and run away.
    I respectfully disagree.

But irrespective of that, in terms of ratings it is true Johnson is a lot lower than she was. But Corbyn is lower still.

Although interestingly the "who would you prefer" seem to be a lot closer together, which really is the key in this election, I think
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

It might work.

On the other hand, pensioners are old enough to remember when Old Labour was last in power. All power cuts, piles of rotting rubbish in the streets, unburied corpses, rampant inflation and going cap-in-hand to the Gnomes of Zurich.

If, as we are consistently told, a great reservoir of Scottish voters will never forgive the Tories for Maggie, it follows that there probably exists another great reservoir of older voters who have neither forgiven nor forgotten the Winter of Discontent.

Bribery may not be enough.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think most of the country would take some 'boring' rather than the clown fest of shit that has been the last three years.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    My assumption is that she would offer time limited support for Labour up until it holds a referendum and that they wouldn't put the Tories in at all.
  • Options

Now nothing. More Green if anything at all. Corbyns lost his shine. Yesterday’s news.
    That's not what I am getting from talking to young people and graduates. Not at all.
  • Options

FPT

eek said:

"Income Tax, NICs and Universal Credit should all be merged"

This I would support (even though it would make me worse off since I am retired).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

GIN1138 said:

They were, I think, aiming for 'sensible middle ground', which makes the revoke pitch a bit stand out - I like the theory it stands out so sorely because it was mooted in a period where leaving with no deal right away looked possible, whereas now that is very unlikely, so it lacks a counter extreme point.
  • Options

That is one tasty bit of data! :love:

There are exactly 3 weeks to go to the election. If Labour's manifesto doesn't set the world on fire, or worse, contains some dementia-tax-level raids on the middle class...
  • Options

They’re pointless. I’ve used trains every working day for nearly 20 years and there’s never been a need for one.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Latest model predictions

Con/Lab/LD
    332/219/30

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yIHH_ZtcH9w9JF5e8WwYD6QuhOhlVwCO_GboafT6kfc/edit?usp=sharing

@alb1on You mentioned Finchley and Hampstead.
    The arithmetic says Tory hold in Finchley and Lab hold in Hampstead. But these are both good examples of local factors that the model doesn't know. You need to apply your own local knowledge to the base case.

@Andy_JS Thanks for pointing out the Yeovil "anomoly". This is an example were the multiplicative model is too fiercely supportive of a high previous share. I've brought the multiplicative weight back to 25% which I'm more comfortable with for reasons that I can explain (but a bit technical) and Yeovil is a Tory retain.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think most of the country would take some 'boring' rather than the clown fest of shit that has been the last three years.

GIN1138 said:

I can't see the CGT and flight taxes going down very well with your typical Guildford type.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    edited November 2019

FPT:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Changes w/ 13-14 Nov.

Con 42.8
    Lab 30.0
    LD 14.8
    BXP 4.0

Con lead 12.8
    Fake news.

These were the Tory shares after the election was called:

I concede they weren't on 50% in every poll but I think my general points stands, in that it would have been difficult for any party to improve on these sorts of ratings at the start of a campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2017_United_Kingdom_general_election#2017
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

There are exactly 3 weeks to go to the election. If Labour's manifesto doesn't set the world on fire, or worse, contains some dementia-tax-level raids on the middle class...
    The data was from before the debate last night though.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Out-on-a-limb post: The Burisma affair will damage both Biden and Trump so badly that neither will contest 2020.

Mike Pence Vs Mayor Pete
  • Options

That's not what I am getting from talking to young people and graduates. Not at all.
    Well I am I’m afraid. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

GIN1138 said:

Swinson is now in all the debates until the last one, which should help the LDs regain the publicity they lost from being excluded from the first one
  • Options
    Momentum's book keeping not up to scratch. More fines from Electoral Commission.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-enforcement-work/investigations/investigation-momentum
  • Options
    Roger said:

The long-range Met Office forecast has become wetter. There is potential for flooding to return.

"Unsettled weather is expected for much of the period with weather systems bringing bouts of rain and strong winds across the UK from the southwest, interspersed by brighter, showery interludes. The bulk of the rain seems more likely in western parts of the UK with longer drier spells likely across the east. Snow is likely at times in the north, mainly over high ground."
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

nunu2 said:

It might work.

On the other hand, pensioners are old enough to remember when Old Labour was last in power. All power cuts, piles of rotting rubbish in the streets, unburied corpses, rampant inflation and going cap-in-hand to the Gnomes of Zurich.

If, as we are consistently told, a great reservoir of Scottish voters will never forgive the Tories for Maggie, it follows that there probably exists another great reservoir of older voters who have neither forgiven nor forgotten the Winter of Discontent.

Quite I’m “only” 55 but the 70’s are seared into my brain. I have zero desire to go back. None. It was crap.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Andy is making sure the GE is going to get drowned out over the next couple of days.
  • Options

Well I am I’m afraid. Sorry about that.
    Your anecdotes are as useful as mine.

We'll see what the polls do.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

Everyone seems convinced that the Great Non-Mass Debate will move mountains for Corbyn. I just don't see it.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Andy is making sure the GE is going to get drowned out over the next couple of days.
    He is certainly sucking a lot of oxygen out of the GE campaign.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

He is certainly sucking a lot of oxygen out of the GE campaign.
    Tomorrow’s headlines will be that he punched a transsexual or something equally as bizarre.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

nunu2 said:

It might work.

Quite I’m “only” 55 but the 70’s are seared into my brain. I have zero desire to go back. None. It was crap.
    Yeah 3 day week and power cuts - terrible times, terrible government...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_ministry
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I don’t know, I reckon there’s a strong argument that motivation to vote could work big in favour of the Tories.

First of all many Tory voters are actually voting positively for something. Brexit supporters will have realised, belatedly, that May was right in 2017. Delivering Brexit requires a big majority and they will be strongly motivated to deliver it. Even those who are voting for other, more “negative” reasons (basically anti Corbyn/McDonnell) will be powerfully motivated. They will want to kill off Corbynism absolutely. In fact, ironically, the motivation may even be stronger if they dislike Johnson. They will hope for a return to sanity in the Labour Party to give them alternatives in future.

On the other side there may be “tribal” Labour/anti Tory supporters who detest Corbyn. They may never vote Tory, but will be much less likely to turn out to vote for him if he is going to lose anyway. If he is going to lose they will also want him to lose badly.

And finally you have “motivated” remainers, whose best realistic outcome is not to prevent Brexit, or at least not yet. At best they can aspire to more delay. There is a decent argument that if Brexit can’t be stopped, then it is better that it happens as soon as possible.

Basically all the above would plausibly point towards motivation to vote (on top of traditional demographic advantages) heavily favouriing the Tories,

• Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

They were, I think, aiming for 'sensible middle ground', which makes the revoke pitch a bit stand out - I like the theory it stands out so sorely because it was mooted in a period where leaving with no deal right away looked possible, whereas now that is very unlikely, so it lacks a counter extreme point.
    Well put. Revoke looked like a no-brainer just a couple of months ago, when the Tories campaigning on a No Deal seemed nailed on. Boris' lightning Deal messed up the Remain side's political calculations something rotten.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Out-on-a-limb post: The Burisma affair will damage both Biden and Trump so badly that neither will contest 2020.

Mike Pence Vs Mayor Pete

I doubt Trump voters will care less and Mayor Pete polls badly in the general election in the new Wisconsin poll

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1197223932279037957?s=20
  • Options

The available polling evidence suggests that the very young continue to regard Labour with great enthusiasm. Probably all those students with their combination of youthful lefty idealism, still living off someone else's money, and the fear in the back of their minds that they're going to be spending the rest of their lives living in hideously overpriced and horrible rented accommodation at the sufferance of robber landlords. They're hoping that Labour will sort out reasonably priced housing (a reasonable aspiration) that will, of course, be paid for by other people (not quite so reasonable.)

Once you get beyond about 25 Labour support starts to steadily decline. Past about 45 and it drops off a cliff. Past about 65 and it lands at the bottom of the cliff in a big, wet, bloody splat of gore and bone fragments.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Labour's manifesto launch will be overshadowed. A blessing or a curse for them? ;)
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

The debate Corbyn failed to win?
  • Options

welshowl said:

nunu2 said:

It might work.

Yeah 3 day week and power cuts - terrible times, terrible government...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_ministry
    Lol. The union power, the tax rates ( not that I was earning then but God the generation above me moaned), the managed decline, currency controls ( £50 quid to take abroad, it was bugger all then).

Maggie didn’t appear out of thin air, she was a reaction to the total dross that came before her.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    welshowl said:

nunu2 said:

It might work.

Tough. Brexit takes us back there.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Barnesian said:

Latest model predictions

Con/Lab/LD
    332/219/30

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yIHH_ZtcH9w9JF5e8WwYD6QuhOhlVwCO_GboafT6kfc/edit?usp=sharing

@alb1on You mentioned Finchley and Hampstead.
    The arithmetic says Tory hold in Finchley and Lab hold in Hampstead. But these are both good examples of local factors that the model doesn't know. You need to apply your own local knowledge to the base case.

@Andy_JS Thanks for pointing out the Yeovil "anomoly". This is an example were the multiplicative model is too fiercely supportive of a high previous share. I've brought the multiplicative weight back to 25% which I'm more comfortable with for reasons that I can explain (but a bit technical) and Yeovil is a Tory retain.

Glad to be of help. Most of the election anoraks on the VoteUK forum are predicting a Tory hold in Yeovil which is why I mentioned it.
  • Options
    Imagine hating the 70s but also supporting Brexit. Madness
  • Options

The available polling evidence suggests that the very young continue to regard Labour with great enthusiasm. Probably all those students with their combination of youthful lefty idealism, still living off someone else's money, and the fear in the back of their minds that they're going to be spending the rest of their lives living in hideously overpriced and horrible rented accommodation at the sufferance of robber landlords. They're hoping that Labour will sort out reasonably priced housing (a reasonable aspiration) that will, of course, be paid for by other people (not quite so reasonable.)

Once you get beyond about 25 Labour support starts to steadily decline. Past about 45 and it drops off a cliff. Past about 65 and it lands at the bottom of the cliff in a big, wet, bloody splat of gore and bone fragments.
    Under 30 no heart, over 40 no brain, and all that. ‘Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think we're in 20-30 Tory majority territory.

I don’t know, I reckon there’s a strong argument that motivation to vote could work big in favour of the Tories.

First of all many Tory voters are actually voting positively for something. Brexit supporters will have realised, belatedly, that May was right in 2017. Delivering Brexit requires a big majority and they will be strongly motivated to deliver it. Even those who are voting for other, more “negative” reasons (basically anti Corbyn/McDonnell) will be powerfully motivated. They will want to kill off Corbynism absolutely. In fact, ironically, the motivation may even be stronger if they dislike Johnson. They will hope for a return to sanity in the Labour Party to give them alternatives in future.

On the other side there may be “tribal” Labour/anti Tory supporters who detest Corbyn. They may never vote Tory, but will be much less likely to turn out to vote for him if he is going to lose anyway. If he is going to lose they will also want him to lose badly.

And finally you have “motivated” remainers, whose best realistic outcome is not to prevent Brexit, or at least not yet. At best they can aspire to more delay. There is a decent argument that if Brexit can’t be stopped, then it is better that it happens as soon as possible.

Basically all the above would plausibly point towards motivation to vote (on top of traditional demographic advantages) heavily favouriing the Tories,

Agreed. The memory of 2017 and the years of paralysis that followed is the most powerful recruiting sergeant for the Tories this time around, apart from Corbyn himself. No one on either side believes the polls as a result of that experience, and that's immensely helpful in avoiding complacency in the electorate.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

nunu2 said:

It might work.

The disco music was fantastic. (I'm a retrospective fan, I wasn't around at the time).
  • Options

They’re pointless. I’ve used trains every working day for nearly 20 years and there’s never been a need for one.
    Try using one with a wheelchair.

I used to do a weekly commute to London from Dorset before I retired. By the time I got home Gillingham station would be unmanned, so my only option to get off was the guard to get the ramp out. Going up to London I often needed the guard to get on the train. And at Waterloo it was usually much quicker for the guard to get the ramp than for me to wait for tha station staff.
  • Options
    "The Tes poll shows that 45 per cent of teachers plan to vote Labour next month, with the Lib Dems and Tories attracting 22 per cent and 14 per cent of the teacher vote respectively."

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-poll-teachers-back-labour-education
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Against the original prevailing wisdom the Tories promises on spending are actually possibly the perfect strategy against Corbyn. It makes it much harder to attack from the left, and if people think Johnson is splurging cash unaffordable, then they’re hardly going to go running to Corbyn. It is quite a simple message - “affordable” vs “unaffordable” spending and Labour’s weak position on Brexit means they can’t leverage to this as an explanation for why they can spend more.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

The memory of 2017 and the years of paralysis that followed is the most powerful recruiting sergeant for the Tories this time around, apart from Corbyn himself. No one on either side believes the polls as a result of that experience, and that's immensely helpful in avoiding complacency in the electorate.

I can confirm that paralysis and Corbyn are huge issues on the doorstep.

Now, that might just be a unique effect in Totnes. But I'm thinking that is unlikely...
This discussion has been closed.