Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And the big verdict – most voters found the debate frutrating

124»

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Charles said:

Alistair said:
    Why? It’s a bit cheeky but whatever.
    It's produced an extremely rare reprimand and threat of punishment from Twitter.
    So either it's worse than almost everything else anyone's ever done on Twitter, or something else.

Hmm...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    timmo said:

ydoethur said:

timmo said:

The debate last night will definitely take a few points off the Tories in the polls..whether it will lead to a sustained rise for labour who knows.
    Boris was in my view useless

He probably was. Because he is.

So it should give Labour supporters pause that Corbyn was seen as even more useless.
    He wasnt in my eyes and I tried to look at it dispassionately with my family.
    We scored it independently of each other..all of us scored Boris huge winner in first 20 mins then he lost the plot.
    The most telling verdict was the audience laughter at both men.
    Mocking, rather than appreciative.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    edited November 2019
    timmo said:

ydoethur said:

timmo said:

The debate last night will definitely take a few points off the Tories in the polls..whether it will lead to a sustained rise for labour who knows.

So it should give Labour supporters pause that Corbyn was seen as even more useless.
    All I was pointing out was that your view was not widely shared.

I can’t help it if you feel the people are wrong. They still have more votes than you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    nico67 said:

What does “in touch” actually mean?

I note that Labour leaders almost always beat Tory ones on this hands down.

I think it just means "not posh" or perhaps in some way "normal", but there's something paternalistic about it too, so not wholly positive.
    I think it reflects the question from the ?care worker? who said you've both lived comfortable lives, why would either of you understand poverty? Johnson waffled, Corbyn said part of his job was to listen to people. I don't think there's any reasonable doubt that Corbyn is more familiar with the challenges of low incomes than Johnson. Whether that matters is of course something for voters to decide.
    Corbyn for all his faults comes across as having genuine empathy for other people and the issues they face on a daily basis . I think that does matter to people .
    His problem is that his answer to the ills of today would leave far more people in poverty.

And bugger up the funding of the NHS.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD - my link to your poll tracker gives a version 4 days old - see link below.

Is there a more up to date version?

If so, does internet address change each time you update it?

https://imgur.com/HISAOZH

Sorry, MikeL, I have to upload a new version each time. Here's the latest:

https://imgur.com/A3iD3GQ
    Moment of truth approaching this week - will labours 2017 style journey continue?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

I think it just means "not posh" or perhaps in some way "normal", but there's something paternalistic about it too, so not wholly positive.
    I think it reflects the question from the ?care worker? who said you've both lived comfortable lives, why would either of you understand poverty? Johnson waffled, Corbyn said part of his job was to listen to people. I don't think there's any reasonable doubt that Corbyn is more familiar with the challenges of low incomes than Johnson. Whether that matters is of course something for voters to decide.
    Corbyn for all his faults comes across as having genuine empathy for other people and the issues they face on a daily basis . I think that does matter to people .
    He may to you.

He does not to me.

I think with Corbyn half the problem is his supporters or waverers see what they want to see rather than what’s really there.
    I’m not a fan of Corbyn but he does seem more genuine . Voters of course make their decision on a host of things.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

It’s an attempt to deceive, but entirely to be expected from a party led by a man who is incapable of telling the truth. The problem for the Tories is that while they’ll win the election with ease thanks to who they’re up against, in the end the lies catch up with you.

They included CCHQ clearly in the bio

“Fact checking” is a well accepted term not a brand.
    Charles, you’re so silly. Brilliant stuff.
    I keep things in perspective

It was a cheeky thing to do. Trolling slightly, and having a bit of juvenile fun.

It was clearly CCHQ - anyone who claims they were deceived clearly believe what they read in the web without checking sources.

But either way it’s really not worth getting worked up about. Ephemera.
    Who knows (apart from us on PB) what CCHQ means?
    Even so every time I see it I read it as GCHQ.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BladeRunner was set today. Amazing how Philip K Dick’s visions have endured so well. He captured the banality and emptiness of the future like no other science fiction writer.

Or perhaps the mixture of the weird and the familiar.

Appropriately, I watched a couple of episodes of The Man in the High Castle, rather than the debate.
    The third season is very good.
    It lost me that season, quite dull.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Why are people obsessing over how to pronounce sex offenders’ surnames?

I find it sade that you have to ask that question.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Only just catching up with yesterday's debate shenanigans. Spent the evening drinking away our sorrows about Poch.

1. The Twitter name change has had its intended effect. It was designed to make the lefty idiots talk about something other than the debate because Bozza was in a no win position. Winning 51/49 isn't really a win given the level of expectations. Now the papers and twitterati are talking about something other than Jez doing a lot better than expected.

2. In addition, it became clear that Jez has no answer on brexit, this is not going to be a repeat of 2017. In 2017 both were talking about rival types of deal and implementation of the result. This time Bozza goes in with the deal in hand, Jez will do something else, something that doesn't respect the 2016 vote.

3. "Get brexit done" is as good as the 2015 "long term economic plan" and that was the backbone of the last majority we won. It's much better than "strong and stable". Labour doesn't have a strapline so no one knows what their campaign is for, other than not letting Bozza sell the NHS to Trump (which most people don't believe anyway) and putting BT out of business.

4. Finally, the quality of the debate was piss poor. The 2010 "I agree with Nick" is still the high water mark of leader debates in this country. Followed by Dave smashing Ed to pieces in 2015. Everything else has been dogshit.

Overall, Jez had one chance, and his supporters are all talking about some Tory Twitter bullshit instead of how he did better than most people expected.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

timmo said:

ydoethur said:

timmo said:

We scored it independently of each other..all of us scored Boris huge winner in first 20 mins then he lost the plot.
    Well each got a couple of laughs in support as well. Corbyns best line was about the monarchy having room for improvement, delivered that well. Boris's was probably the money forest gag.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited November 2019

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

It’s an attempt to deceive, but entirely to be expected from a party led by a man who is incapable of telling the truth. The problem for the Tories is that while they’ll win the election with ease thanks to who they’re up against, in the end the lies catch up with you.

It was a cheeky thing to do. Trolling slightly, and having a bit of juvenile fun.

It was clearly CCHQ - anyone who claims they were deceived clearly believe what they read in the web without checking sources.

Good point . The amount of the public who would know what that meant is minimal . The Tories really have reached rock bottom with their disgusting antics .
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

If it wasn’t an attempt to deceive, why did they do it?

For the Lolz?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Thsts the theory, for attention. Pretty lousy behaviour.
  • Options

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

Anyone engaged in British politics.

And considering the handle is CCHQ Press that's what they call themselves all the time and not just yesterday.
  • Options

I’m not sure the debates are really about the debates anymore.

They’re about generating headlines and soundbites for wider social and MSM dissemination.

I think that is right. PMQs has gone the same way. Provided there are 20 or 30 seconds that can be clipped from an hour, the spin teams are content.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    As an attempt to deceive using Lolz as an excuse.

Personally it's not fair game. A personal account can be used for the Lolz but business accounts should remain professional.
  • Options
    eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Personally it's not fair game. A personal account can be used for the Lolz but business accounts should remain professional.
    Who's being deceived?

Anyone who follows the account almost certainly knows what CCHQ stands for and it still said CCHQ.

If it wasn't so widely by critics then who else would have seen it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I didn't watch the debate last night, but I definitely remember Johnson saying "Get Brexit done"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2019
    MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.
    Might not work if they have their account suspended.

Getting the blue tick is conditional on not playing games like this.

Just imagine if the Tory twitter account is suspended for the duration of the campaign.

• Options

They’re about generating headlines and soundbites for wider social and MSM dissemination.

Thats true, but the frustrating thing, as per the public view in the header, is in their defence Boris and Corbyn showed willingness to actually debate. They wanted to come back on one another, they didnt interrupt too much, they seem like in the right format they would have debated a bit more.

Double length
    No audience
    No mention of who asked the question (it can get revealed later if people want to be sure the broadcaster did not write it) or just set topics and let them at it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Just imagine if the Tory twitter account is suspended for the duration of the campaign.

It would make no difference whatsoever. They have others.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    nico67 said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

Good point . The amount of the public who would know what that meant is minimal . The Tories really have reached rock bottom with their disgusting antics .
    The main two things I remember from the 2017 campaign are:

1) the Labour party deliberately lying about the Conservative social care policy, by claiming it would force surviving spouses out of their homes
    2) Labour pretending they were going to cancel all student debt, even though that wasn't in their manifesto and they knew it was undeliverable (as they later admitted)

The Tories muck about with their Twitter handle for one evening (leaving a clear reference in to CCHQ) and it's the worst thing anyone could ever do? What is wrong with you people?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

timmo said:

ydoethur said:

timmo said:

Well each got a couple of laughs in support as well. Corbyns best line was about the monarchy having room for improvement, delivered that well. Boris's was probably the money forest gag.
    It is where Brexit and the politics of populism has brought us; a choice between two pillocks that you wouldn't leave in charge of a mobile chippy
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

Anyone who follows the account almost certainly knows what CCHQ stands for and it still said CCHQ.

Yes everyone who follows the account is not deceived but anyone who sees a retweet or like IS deceived as they don't know what the account actually is.

• Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Endillion said:

nico67 said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

1) the Labour party deliberately lying about the Conservative social care policy, by claiming it would force surviving spouses out of their homes
    2) Labour pretending they were going to cancel all student debt, even though that wasn't in their manifesto and they knew it was undeliverable (as they later admitted)

The Tories muck about with their Twitter handle for one evening (leaving a clear reference in to CCHQ) and it's the worst thing anyone could ever do? What is wrong with you people?
    They don’t like it when they’ve been outplayed.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

I quite often misread it for GCHQ. So I'm thinking if those impartial boffins in Cheltenham are saying this...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

I’m assuming all the Tory twitter accounts are verified as associated accounts with Twitter.

If one gets suspended then they all get suspended.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I didn't watch the debate last night, but I definitely remember Johnson saying "Get Brexit done"

His strongest non Brexit moment (well half brexit) was declaring the nhs not being on the table. He looked serious, genuine and didnt waffle about it. I think corbyn overdid his 'serious subject' voice a bit, but on leadership and listening he was firm, reasonable sounding and to the point, it was his strongest moment.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Huh, I missed this at the time:
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/news/105170/most-tory-members-believe-islam-threat

Conservatives = islamophobes. The party is riddled with scumbags.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

Yes everyone who follows the account is not deceived but anyone who sees a retweet or like IS deceived as they don't know what the account actually is.

Because everyone with the word Factcheck in their name is automatically a source of neutrality. If you believe that you're insanely gullible.

Has anyone had a look at 'Factcheck Paton' who was so outraged that he or she posted this?

Is this what a neutral factchecker looks like?

https://twitter.com/stephenpaton134/status/1195755189912899586
  • Options
    edited November 2019

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

I’m assuming all the Tory twitter accounts are verified as associated accounts with Twitter.

Still no difference. They have accounts to put out their spin, they'll just assign a person to coordinate that duty from their own account if they have to. Where the spin comes from is irrelevant. Just tell all candidates to follow, idk, James cleverly and retweet him as he'll send out the spin.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The problem with the Con Twitter stunt is it won't have fooled anyone and won't have driven any eyeballs to the account as only political obsessives would have been checking twitter whilst the debate was on.

All it has done is generate a negative story.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

A precedent before they do that to Trump could be very handy.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    I watched this from 12,000 miles away, but that lofty perspective hasn’t given me any greater insight. I saw a dull score draw like everyone else. Corbyn was more sincere, Boris more alpha.

Moving on: the next polls are quite crucial. This is one of two opportunities for Labour to break the narrative. The other is the manifesto launch. Also this week.

If Labour don’t move the polls decisively after these events, then, absent black swans, Boris gets his majority.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Twitter have already said this shouldn't happen again and moved on.

Twitter are not going to get into a political firestorm by suspending the governing parties accounts during a General Election.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

BladeRunner was set today. Amazing how Philip K Dick’s visions have endured so well. He captured the banality and emptiness of the future like no other science fiction writer.

Or perhaps the mixture of the weird and the familiar.

Appropriately, I watched a couple of episodes of The Man in the High Castle, rather than the debate.
    The third season is very good.
    The first season was good, but I felt it lost its way in the second. Now I see there's a fourth.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

I quite often misread it for GCHQ. So I'm thinking if those impartial boffins in Cheltenham are saying this...
    If someone thinks that they are going to swayed by great many things that are not true. CCHQ have acted shittily, but someone fooled like that was already fooled by something equally silly.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I watched this from 12,000 miles away, but that lofty perspective hasn’t given me any greater insight. I saw a dull score draw like everyone else. Corbyn was more sincere, Boris more alpha.

Moving on: the next polls are quite crucial. This is one of two opportunities for Labour to break the narrative. The other is the manifesto launch. Also this week.

If Labour don’t move the polls decisively after these events, then, absent black swans, Boris gets his majority.

From Antarctica?! Dedication, sir.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

What no "sensible" Labour supporter has explained thus far:

Why on earth would the EU27 renegotiate a Brexit deal with a Corbyn government in 3 days, 3 months or even 3 years knowing that the majority of the cabinet has already stated their intention to campaign for remain i.e. against the new deal in any subsequent referendum. It simply makes no sense and I certainly cannot see President Macron sanctioning it. More likely the EU would insist either a Corbyn government ratifies Boris' deal or puts it up against remain as the options in a second referendum.

The changes Labour proposes will principally affect the political declaration, which is not legally binding, and move the direction of travel for the final deal towards closer alignment which is what the EU wants. The EU will always be happy to renegotiate the deal if it is in a direction that they like - that after all is why they were happy to renegotiate the deal with Johnson, since the revised arrangements for NI were more or less what the EU had proposed in the first place.

I don't know if I am considered "sensible" but I hope this explanation will be deemed sufficient.
    Well in that case why bother with the renegotiation and not just go straight to a referendum? Given that Labour (in power) could just repudiate the political declaration and pursuing of its objectives unilaterally.
    I suppose they want to give the electorate a clear and honest choice between a deal that Labour would implement and Remain. For that they need a deal including PD that accurately describes the intended direction of travel, rather than presenting the Tories' deal and saying that this isn't actually what they will implement.
    If this is such a relevant question for Labour, then let's also ask why Johnson renegotiated the deal? After all, in an FTA (which he claims can be negotiated in a few months) the backstop is rendered redundant, so why couldn't he have just signed up to May's deal?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Byronic said:

Labour won't move the polls after at best a draw in the debate last night, the manifesto launch could also equally have negative tax rises in it for ordinary voters eg a gift tax as much as net positives
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s hard to remember that Blade Runner originally presented from an 80s perspective a downbeat vision of the future rather the wildly optimistic and uplifting piece it appears to be from today’s point of view.
    We were promised C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

I am not in Antarctica. I am, however, a very very very long way away. Bracingly so.

• Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

I am not in Antarctica. I am, however, a very very very long way away. Bracingly so.

Chile?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alex_ said:

Why on earth would the EU27 renegotiate a Brexit deal with a Corbyn government in 3 days, 3 months or even 3 years knowing that the majority of the cabinet has already stated their intention to campaign for remain i.e. against the new deal in any subsequent referendum. It simply makes no sense and I certainly cannot see President Macron sanctioning it. More likely the EU would insist either a Corbyn government ratifies Boris' deal or puts it up against remain as the options in a second referendum.

The changes Labour proposes will principally affect the political declaration, which is not legally binding, and move the direction of travel for the final deal towards closer alignment which is what the EU wants. The EU will always be happy to renegotiate the deal if it is in a direction that they like - that after all is why they were happy to renegotiate the deal with Johnson, since the revised arrangements for NI were more or less what the EU had proposed in the first place.

I don't know if I am considered "sensible" but I hope this explanation will be deemed sufficient.
    Well in that case why bother with the renegotiation and not just go straight to a referendum? Given that Labour (in power) could just repudiate the political declaration and pursuing of its objectives unilaterally.
    I suppose they want to give the electorate a clear and honest choice between a deal that Labour would implement and Remain. For that they need a deal including PD that accurately describes the intended direction of travel, rather than presenting the Tories' deal and saying that this isn't actually what they will implement.
    If this is such a relevant question for Labour, then let's also ask why Johnson renegotiated the deal? After all, in an FTA (which he claims can be negotiated in a few months) the backstop is rendered redundant, so why couldn't he have just signed up to May's deal?
    Well the obvious answer to that is that they (crazily IMO) want no deal to remain as an option. The argument being that the Customs Union backstop gives the EU no incentive to negotiate in good faith (since it is unlikely that a trade deal will be better for EU-UK specific trade than just retaining the customs union)
  • Options

I discovered yesterday that a very close friend of 35+ years hasn't seen Blade Runner. It feels...weird.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Pulpstar said:

That is what Boris was hoping for.
  • Options

nico67 said:

His problem is that his answer to the ills of today would leave far more people in poverty.

And bugger up the funding of the NHS.
    You're saying he is a Brexiter after all?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Twitter are not going to get into a political firestorm by suspending the governing parties accounts during a General Election.
    Especially as on current polls the Tories will get a majority and have full lawmaking powers after on social media. (Though you get far more swing voters on Facebook and Instagram than Twitter anyway)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Loss of verified status is not suspending the account. It is just removing the blue tick. The blue tick exists to protect users from impersonators and/or confusion with parody accounts.

However not having it is obviously a problem because protection from impersonation is actually a valuable thing.

• Options
    nico67 said:

I don't think he understands the visceral fear/experience of running out of money that many experience and why that might make people he claims to be trying to help wary of extravagant spending promises.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Effinger. Gibson.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

If someone thinks that they are going to swayed by great many things that are not true. CCHQ have acted shittily, but someone fooled like that was already fooled by something equally silly.
    Depressingly it suggests politics is now about maximising the the number of people who can be fooled for as much time as possible. That was always an element of course, but now it seems to be the primary moving force.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I don't think he understands the visceral fear/experience of running out of money that many experience and why that might make people he claims to be trying to help wary of extravagant spending promises.
    I agree with that. Corbyn has had a safe public sector job all his life. he is no more in touch with the lives of ordinary people than Johnson, or even Lord Snooty
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,300
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Labour won't move the polls after at best a draw in the debate last night, the manifesto launch could also equally have negative tax rises in it for ordinary voters eg a gift tax as much as net positives
    Alternatively:
    Much of the Tory lead is down to people being scared of Corbyn rather than liking the Conservatives. A draw in the debate might be a sign that enough people start thinking "Corbyn isn't the devil incarnate after all" and the Tory lead evaporates. Not saying it's likely to happen, but it seems possible.
  • Options
    LDs promise to fund 20 000 new teachers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50480498
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

I keep things in perspectivorked up about. Ephemera.

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Especially as on current polls the Tories will get a majority and have full lawmaking powers after on social media. (Though you get far more swing voters on Facebook and Instagram than Twitter anyway)
    This ridiculous twitter thing is the very definition of village tittle-tattle. 99.9999% of the country won’t give the tiniest quantum of a fuck.

It was presumably done to provoke, and burn off Labour energy, into the heat death of the Twittersphere. In that endeavor it is working.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Alternatively:
    Much of the Tory lead is down to people being scared of Corbyn rather than liking the Conservatives. A draw in the debate might be a sign that enough people start thinking "Corbyn isn't the devil incarnate after all" and the Tory lead evaporates. Not saying it's likely to happen, but it seems possible.
    I think they’re more scared of Corbyn/McDonnell policies than Corbyn himself. And anyway, it’s not like 2017 when this was the first time the public had got a good look at him outside of the media narrative. He had his “introduction to the people” moment two years ago. Since when they seem to have overwhelmingly made up their mind.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

nico67 said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

One of the things that marks out a compulsive liar is that they lie about things that aren't important, as well as those that are. Johnson and the Conservatives just can't help themselves.

Collectively we lost our grip on this some time ago, and I don't see how we get it back, but it certainly doesn't involve picking and choosing which falsehoods we care about. I thought Peter Oborne wrote a good piece about it.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

This ridiculous twitter thing is the very definition of village tittle-tattle. 99.9999% of the country won’t give the tiniest quantum of a fuck.

It was presumably done to provoke, and burn off Labour energy, into the heat death of the Twittersphere. In that endeavor it is working.
    Indeed, a political hacks story if ever there was one
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    If I was asked who won a debate I would answer based on who had made their argument the best not actually on what the specifics of the actual argument. I’m not surprised it was a draw because they were equally as bad.
  • Options

Endillion said:

nico67 said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

One of the things that marks out a compulsive liar is that they lie about things that aren't important, as well as those that are. Johnson and the Conservatives just can't help themselves.

Collectively we lost our grip on this some time ago, and I don't see how we get it back, but it certainly doesn't involve picking and choosing which falsehoods we care about. I thought Peter Oborne wrote a good piece about it.
    Peter Oborne would be more convincing if he wasn’t a cretin.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Well the obvious answer to that is that they (crazily IMO) want no deal to remain as an option. The argument being that the Customs Union backstop gives the EU no incentive to negotiate in good faith (since it is unlikely that a trade deal will be better for EU-UK specific trade than just retaining the customs union)
    So what you're saying is that it's reasonable to make changes to the deal in order to frame the debate over the final deal and that this can be done quickly and easily if the EU's red lines aren't affected. On that basis I think you should agree that Labour's position is perfectly sensible. Thanks!
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Alternatively:
    If you hate Corbyn it is because of his left-wing policies mainly, that will not change and if you want Brexit you will be voting Tory to deliver it, that will not change either
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

bit early for a dead cat
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,503
    HYUFD said:

LDs promise to fund 20 000 new teachers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50480498

A pledge which appears to have aa purpose rather than to be spending for spending's sake. Although 20000 teachers amounts to about half a teacher per school.
    I'd like to see investment in better teachers, rather than just more teachers. Together with some determination to get rid of the bad ones. But this is a start.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

Depressingly it suggests politics is now about maximising the the number of people who can be fooled for as much time as possible. That was always an element of course, but now it seems to be the primary moving force.
    Politics = maximising the the number of people who can be fooled for as much time as possible. T'was always thus.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Loss of verified status is not suspending the account. It is just removing the blue tick. The blue tick exists to protect users from impersonators and/or confusion with parody accounts.

However not having it is obviously a problem because protection from impersonation is actually a valuable thing.

'Intentionally misleading people' seems to be spot on.
  • Options

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

, in the end the lies catch up with you.

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

bit early for a dead cat
    Wasn’t technically a dead cat. More a decoy mouse, heading under the fridge of irrelevance, for the Labour cat to pursue. Meanwhile the clock ticks to Dec 12.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Byronic said:

I agree with that, and I'd add that I don't expect the manifesto to change much - they don't as a rule, though last time the Tory press stupidly highlighted things they thought would be unpopular which people rather liked.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

Is there a governing party right now?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

Why you spend your credibility defending this stuff is beyond me. In an era of social media fakery and politicians like Trump shitting all over the truth it is not where the Conservative party should be.
    Because I’m not

People lose perspective

Rebranding yourself as “factcheckUK” for an evening while leaving your twitter handle unchanged is not “shitting all over the truth” or “fake news”

It’s as truthful as “45 days to save the NHS”

People are getting way too excited. Both Boris and Corbyn have lied about things that matter. That’s what they should be judged on not trash like this.

It’s Parkinson’s Theory of Triviality at work
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

Because everyone with the word Factcheck in their name is automatically a source of neutrality. If you believe that you're insanely gullible.

Has anyone had a look at 'Factcheck Paton' who was so outraged that he or she posted this?

They changed their name to FactCheck after the Tories did
  • Options
    alex_ said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Alternatively:
    I think they’re more scared of Corbyn/McDonnell policies than Corbyn himself. And anyway, it’s not like 2017 when this was the first time the public had got a good look at him outside of the media narrative. He had his “introduction to the people” moment two years ago. Since when they seem to have overwhelmingly made up their mind.
    I partly agree with the second point, although I also think most people are just not thinking that much about politics outside of when they actually go and vote, so I still think there is some upside for Labour in Corbyn being seen more.

Personally I'm not seeing the enthusiasm for Corbyn that there was during the campaign in 2017, but on the other hand I am seeing much more animosity to Johnson than there was to May (this is just in my personal bubble).

On the policies, I'm not sure. I think we have to wait for the manifesto, and how well Labour can present their policies as not-scary.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

eek said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

They changed their name to FactCheck after the Tories did
    Plus: Who the hell is "FactCheck Paton"? And why should anyone care what they call themselves on Twitter?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    kle4 said:

Thats true, but the frustrating thing, as per the public view in the header, is in their defence Boris and Corbyn showed willingness to actually debate. They wanted to come back on one another, they didnt interrupt too much, they seem like in the right format they would have debated a bit more.

Double length
    No audience
    No mention of who asked the question (it can get revealed later if people want to be sure the broadcaster did not write it) or just set topics and let them at it.
    Yep, the public (rather than the broadcasters or the spin machines) would be much better served by a three-hour debate with very little moderation and allowing the participants to actually debate each other.

Sadly it’s probably never going to happen.
  • Options

Brom said:

I don't know what you class as sensible, but I'm very familiar with EU politics. They would be pleased with either outcome if the choice was Remain vs customs union, and have said repeatedly that a customs union and regulatory alignment was on offer and could be concluded very quickly. The case forthe deal would be that it removes us from the political union which some dislike while keeping us in the economic union, and solving the Irish issue at the same time (because no customs border is needed anywhere).

Brexiters don't like either alternative (because they say alignment means "vassal state") but the EU would certainly prefer either to Boris's deal, which will simply prolong the agony with years of trade haggling.
    What they wouldn’t like is Corbyn’s coalition losing a landslide 2 years later and the Tories renegotiating a new exit deal. It’s just wasting years for this country. Business does not want more delay and another referendum.
    Jo Swinson’s reception at the CBI on Monday demonstrates that business wants to stay in the EU.
    That the CBI membership - which is multinational - wants to

If you talk to the IoD or FSB you get a different perspective
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

Anti Semitism vs changing your twitter handle

Which is rock bottom and disgusting?

I think your morality gauge needs tuning
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

I would be very very surprised if Twitter did that. In fact I would go so far as to say they would be fucking idiots to.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

I would be very very surprised if Twitter did that. In fact I would go so far as to say they would be fucking idiots to.
    People, try and find someone who will defend you like Charles defends the establishment
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?

Who's being deceived?

They must have good intelligence?

Don’t leave us hanging!
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Streeter said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Alistair said:

For the Lolz?
    Yes. And it's working.

It won’t

Next time it will be Fact-check CCHQ
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Double length
    No audience
    Yep, the public (rather than the broadcasters or the spin machines) would be much better served by a three-hour debate with very little moderation and allowing the participants to actually debate each other.

Sadly it’s probably never going to happen.
    We would honestly learn more about their suitability to be PM if they just played a televised game of Settlers of Catan. Jo would be really good at it. Boris would cheat unsuccessfully. Corbo would be too busy checking the box to see if any of the art was done by jews.
  • Options
    Lets be Totally Honest here, Corbyn was more serous about this debate then Johnson ,he spoke directly a Question was asked and he was Honest( I hope) But Johnson is NOT a good debater he speaks in fast short sentences and talks in a Gibberish manor, BUT he is still going to win with a Landslide, I truly believe Corbyn has been trashed by the media and I feel a little unfairly ,people seem to just repeat what Johnson says (Parrot Fashion) but do not have a clear opinion themselves, how come ALL the Financial Barrons including the Bank of England state that this Country will fall way behind the rest of the World ,these are the True Experts and not people who no nothing but a few things about what is truly going to happen, the Torys under this Prime-minister will simply take us into a Deep void and I think that is very sad for us all....
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    nico67 said:

The Tories really have reached rock bottom with their disgusting antics .

Want to bet?
This discussion has been closed.