Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB YouGov lead back up to 8pc but Dave retains his 11pc “B

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB YouGov lead back up to 8pc but Dave retains his 11pc “Best PM” lead

This morning’s YouGov poll for the Sun suggests that yesterday’s 4% CON deficit might have been a blip though all changes are within the margin of error.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Yorkcity and others

Please don't discuss Andy Coulson or phone hacking directly or indirectly.

Anyone violating this rule, are likely to find their posting privileges revoked until after the conclusion of the phone hacking trials.

Which are expected to conclude next April.

Please remember that.

The moderating team are taking a zero tolerance approach to any comment that violates the wording and or spirit of this ruling.
  • Options
    Given that there's so much polling, are there any apparent differences between the phone- and online-?

My memory recalls that there was a split in the very final polls, but I'm talking about taking more than a single data point.

(Also, I know the data is out there but would need some farming but I'm interested in how the Best PM values have changed over the parliament and possibly compared to 2005-2010?)
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Andrew Gimson ‏@AndrewGimson 23h

John Major was right: savers are being robbed by the Government: my @ConHome piece http://bit.ly/17LwAHr
    :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited November 2013
    FPT:
    CD13 said:

The dangerous bit would be if the inquiry shows that Labour helped to appoint a nincompoop to a top job just because he was one of theirs. It may happen with all parties but Labour seem to corner the market in this sort of thing.

Unless any other evidence emerges it looks like the Flowers mess was made in the COOP and presided over by the FSA - I very much doubt there was any direct Labour involvement other than to say "nice to meet you again" when introduced to the new COOP Chairman.....the Labour head of Bradford Council might have done his colleagues a favour had he been more forthcoming about Flowers unsuitability for high office - but that buck appears to stop with him.

None of this alters the politics which is that the Tories will seek to extract maximum political embarrassment for their opponents from this mess - just as a Labour would do.

It is hypocritical to suggest otherwise.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Oh look the +\- change is back ; )
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    I don't think VI is moving in any direction at the moment, bar a bit of "noise" or churn or random error. All quite settled.

Last thread was funny. If a connection between Flowers and Falkirk is uncovered, will PBTories implode?

• Options
    R0berts said:

I don't think VI is moving in any direction at the moment, bar a bit of "noise" or churn or random error. All quite settled.

Last thread was funny. If a connection between Flowers and Falkirk is uncovered, will PBTories implode?

There is a connection - Labour.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Oh look the +\- change is back ; )

What are you implying? Come on, spit it out.
  • Options
    TheSheikofShakeTheSheikofShake Posts: 83
    edited November 2013
    Moderated

• Options
    FPT, amended to ensure compliant with site rules

The Flowers story is essentially a very sad story about a very personal fall from grace. Nothing that has been revealed so far really implicates the Labour leadership and unless something emerges which very clearly fixes Miliband and Balls with knowledge of Flowers' misconduct (and I am not referring here to his earlier public misdemeanour) and/or their personal intervention in his appointment by the Co-op, I don't think this story will be particularly damaging to Labour.

Nor, on the facts of the story alone, should it be. It is too much of a stretch to blame party leaders for the personal failings of local councillors or people they appoint to advisory boards or accept donations from (or people connected to companies they accept donations from, to be accurate).

However, it is difficult to have any sympathy for Labour. [In the past t]hey have screamed for public inquiries, resignations and admissions of terrible judgement. The parallels are clear. Schadenfeude. As some of us said at the time, Labour should have been much more circumspect in their previous criticism. Perhaps this will give them cause for thought and instil some much-needed humility. Perhaps.

Perhaps more significantly, there is now a theme emerging of Labour struggling to accept their own inadequacies. There is no question that if the facts of Falkirk and the Co-op were reversed, Labour would be having a field day. It would be as clear as day to them that the matters should be investigated, publicly, and the politicians held to account. It is not sufficient to say that this is just politics, and all politicians are opportunists, though that is true to an extent; we are all inclined to be more forgiving of ourselves and more lenient on those we are close to. If Labour lived up to the values they claim to espouse they would be accepting the need for both matters to be investigated, urgently and publicly. Otherwise the charge of hypocrisy weighs heavily on them.

• Options
    R4 has been leading on this:

Undercover soldiers 'killed unarmed civilians in Belfast'
    Soldiers from an undercover unit used by the British army in Northern Ireland killed unarmed civilians, former members have told BBC One's Panorama.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24987465
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Moderated
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Nick Pallmer it does not matter that they are not impacting on voting intention, the corrosion in public
    trust in all parties and major institutions is deeply damaging for politics and pubic life as a whole.
    I am intrested in politics, but I have been sickened by the MP expenses , bankers, how leaders in all walks of business never take resposibility then walk away, with large amounts of cash, destroying ordinary people jobs in the process on many occasions.

The cynicism is growing everywhere.

Politicians like Michael Heseline who acted to stop innocent people going to jail regarding the Scott enquiry even though it would embarrass his own government, seem a long way from todays standards.
  • Options
    MickPork

1) If anyone violates the site rules, don't respond to that post

2) Any more attacks on the moderators/criticism of moderators and your posting privileges will be revoked.

Please confirm you understand.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    If the incumbent PM doesn't lead the "best PM" question, he is toast.

• Options
    Lol! Just 5 or 6 posts after the moderator clearly stated the rules again too, what are people thinking?!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Yorkcity said:

Nick Pallmer it does not matter that they are not impacting on voting intention, the corrosion in public
    trust in all parties and major institutions is deeply damaging for politics and pubic life as a whole.
    I am intrested in politics, but I have been sickened by the MP expenses , bankers, how leaders in all walks of business never take resposibility then walk away, with large amounts of cash, destroying ordinary people jobs in the process on many occasions.

Politicians like Michael Heseline who acted to stop innocent people going to jail regarding the Scott enquiry even though it would embarrass his own government, seem a long way from todays standards.

Sleaze did for Major in 1997 despite the rosy economic environment and prospects. People were sick and tired of the Tories regardless of GDP or the balance of payments.

Which is to be expected; after several terms any govt is bound to fray at the edges, cross the line here and there. Power corrupts, etc...

But this wasn't the case in 2010 - economic incompetence by the incumbents, balanced by insufficient detoxification of the Cons brought us the coalition.

The interesting thing here therefore is that only now is the sleaze emerging about the last Labour govt. Instead of it getting washed up in the general GE2010 defeat, it's front and centre of campaigning now. For Lab's GE2015 prospects, therefore, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Nah, they fixed all that and everything is fine now.
    Daily Mail Online

£89m! MPs' expenses soar by more than a quarter in just a year

Despite the expenses scandal three years ago, MPs claimed £89.4million last year in taxpayer funding for accommodation, travel, staffing and other costs.

Amy. ‏@thisisamy_

Here's a list of the 169 MPs who voted yes to #bedroomtax & claimed up to 25k EACH in accommodation expenses. http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/11/15/exposed-the-169-mps-who-voted-yes-to-the-bedroom-tax-after-claiming-up-to-25k-in-accommodation-expenses/

WOWcampaign ‏@WOWpetition

New expenses scandal as one in three #MPs use taxpayers' cash to rent constituency bases - from their own parties http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-expenses-scandal-one-three-2792913#.UoVEePjFHMA.twitter … …

jardinatura.es ‏@jardinatura 1h

David Cameron: Stop the 11% pay rise for MPs' salaries http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/david-cameron-stop-the-11-pay-rise-for-mps-salaries?share_id=lywvALFAbl&utm_campaign=twitter_link_action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition … via @change
    See? Position of great moral authority and all that.
  • Options

MickPork

2) Any more attacks on the moderators/criticism of moderators and your posting privileges will be revoked.

1) I do understand

2) There have been no attacks.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    UK car production in October rose at the fastest pace so far this year, the industry's trade body has said.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said 160,854 cars were built in the UK last month, up 17% from October 2012.

It said the change represented the biggest year-on-year increase to date in 2013.

The growth was largely driven by demand for cars to sell in Britain rather than for export, the SMMT said.

UK demand for new cars has been helped by cheap finance deals and rising consumer confidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25030372
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

MickPork

1) I do understand

2) There have been no attacks.
    There have been in the past, and there was criticism earlier.

You seem to keep on forgetting that the moderators aren't on the site 24/7

In future if you violate this, you may find all your posts automatically go into the pending folder, and released as and when the moderators are on site.

Then you may finally appreciate that the moderators are not on 24/7 pressing f5.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited November 2013

Then you may finally appreciate that the moderators are not on 24/7 pressing f5.

If you made tim a moderator then there would be ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    "Please don't discuss Andy Coulson or phone hacking directly or indirectly."

Should we not apply the same rules to the Flowers story?

Can't he also sue for libel?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    CV and Flockers,

You're right, it's getting publicity because it's a dream story for the media. We all know people can be appointed because of their connections and if the situation were reversed, as it easily could have been, Ed would be all over the airwaves, frothing at the mouth.

Slightly off-topic, but when I moved from the pharmaceutical industry to the civil service, I noticed one particular change that I thought odd. There was a push to promote more women owing to the disparity in the ratios at the top. I met many very talented women there, yet they nearly all languished in obscurity. Most of the women promoted were the ... how shall I put this gently .. not the brightest. I thought it was deliberate for a while, but with hindsight, I think it was an example of group-think.

They tended to had similar social and political views and that took precedence over competency. The males may have been equally useless in many cases but were a more mixed bunch.

I'm no sociologist but maybe with women being such strange, exotic creatures, they preferred to have elements of familiarity to naked brain power.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

Sleaze did for Major in 1997 despite the rosy economic environment and prospects. People were sick and tired of the Tories regardless of GDP or the balance of payments.

Which is to be expected; after several terms any govt is bound to fray at the edges, cross the line here and there. Power corrupts, etc...

But this wasn't the case in 2010 - economic incompetence by the incumbents, balanced by insufficient detoxification of the Cons brought us the coalition.

The interesting thing here therefore is that only now is the sleaze emerging about the last Labour govt. Instead of it getting washed up in the general GE2010 defeat, it's front and centre of campaigning now. For Lab's GE2015 prospects, therefore, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
    Hmn. I'm not sure. For one thing, the "last Labour Government" won't be running for election in 2015. I think a lot of toxicity, such as it was, went with Brown and Blair. Of course, this kind of stuff excites the Tory core, but the Tories need to broaden their appeal to stand any chance.

And suffice to say the broader electorate see quite enough mud and toxicity sticking to the Tories to cancel out any that comes Labour's way.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Topping

No single party is sleaze free.

However I agree if the cynicism effects voter turnout at the GE in 2015, it will disproportionately effect Labour voters,especially the ones who believe in more ethics regarding how business is conducted.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited November 2013
    Interesting expense claims history by Rev Flowers, according to Channel 4. http://www.channel4.com/news/coop-labour-flowers-co-operative-miliband-bank

Rogue reverend, a loner, no-one knew anything, nothing to see...

Labour sets up FSA, which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The whole Flowers thing shows up the failings of Brown's regulatory empire, the laziness of financial journalism, and Nelsonian blindness at The Co-Op. CRB checks:- only for the little people who work with children not politicians.

As for all the crap about sleeze in Major's government, it is a source of amazement that so little shit stuck to the fans from 1997.
  • Options

MickPork There have been in the past, and there was criticism earlier.

There was criticism of a poster earlier. Not the same thing.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

Given that there's so much polling, are there any apparent differences between the phone- and online-?

My memory recalls that there was a split in the very final polls, but I'm talking about taking more than a single data point.

(Also, I know the data is out there but would need some farming but I'm interested in how the Best PM values have changed over the parliament and possibly compared to 2005-2010?)

The online polls generally produce higher Ukip shares with commensurate reduction in "don't knows". Don't seem to impact any other parties
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Please don't discuss Andy Coulson or phone hacking directly or indirectly."

Should we not apply the same rules to the Flowers story?

Can't he also sue for libel?

He can, but

1) There's no current ongoing trial with Flowers

2) There's no blackout on mentioning Flowers in the House of Commons

3) Comments that have been perceived to be problematic re Flowers have been removed and posters warned.

4) If posts go too far re Flowers, we will review the site policy on Flowers.
  • Options
    Must admit, "Miliband defends Labour over Flowers" isn't a good headline for Labour.

Whenever a politician / party defends themselves, the default public assumption is always a vague sense that they've been up to no good, no matter what the party or details of the issue.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Sticking to a clear and coherent message seems to be beyond the incompetent fop's abilities.
    Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 4m

Nick Clegg on green levies: "It isn't *all* crap." He says Sun story not a fair reflection of Cameron's views.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Time will tell whether this is the outlier - an 8% lead and Labour on 40% have been in the minority recently
  • Options
    Oborne not pulling any punches

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10462871/Its-no-coincidence-the-MPs-found-guilty-of-fiddling-are-all-Labour.html

"It’s no coincidence the MPs found guilty of fiddling are all Labour
    The party may take the moral high ground, but lying and cheating are deep in its DNA"

"I believe that it is Labour’s belief in its own higher morality – what Bertrand Russell called the “superior virtue of the oppressed” – that has led to its downfall. "
  • Options
    Flowers has not denied any charges and has infact apologised for the antics in the Mail on Sunday scoop.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

How is that possible, I thought Parliamentary privilege prevented such injunctions affecting speeches in the Commons and Lords.
  • Options

Easy solution, hire tim ;-)

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013
    TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10462871/Its-no-coincidence-the-MPs-found-guilty-of-fiddling-are-all-Labour.html

The party may take the moral high ground, but lying and cheating are deep in its DNA"

"I believe that it is Labour’s belief in its own higher morality – what Bertrand Russell called the “superior virtue of the oppressed” – that has led to its downfall. "

Taylor of Warwick, Hanningfield?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Yorkcity said:

No, you're right that it's important, but there have been so many posts about the party impact that I thought it was also worth discussing why it's not rubbing off on voting intention.

JJ, i've forgotten how to read PMs here - probably best to email me on nickmp1 at aol dot com.

• Options

TGOHF said:

Taylor of Warwick, Hanningfield?
    Not MPs are they ;)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Flowers has not denied any charges and has infact apologised for the antics in the Mail on Sunday scoop.

This Mail on Sunday scoop to be precise.
    Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 16 Nov

Mail on Sunday front page - "Crystal meth shame of bank chief" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/Hw7xIP1ZDw
  • Options
    RobD said:

How is that possible, I thought Parliamentary privilege prevented such injunctions affecting speeches in the Commons and Lords.
    Sub-judice still applies to the House of Commons

The House of Commons adopted its current sub judice rule (see p 19) by resolution in
    2001 following the Report of the Joint Committee on Parliamentary Privilege in 1999. The
    House of Lords has a parallel resolution. The rule prevents reference being made in
    proceedings in the Chamber or in committees to cases which are active in the courts (as
    defined in the resolution). The rule does not apply when the House is considering primary
    or secondary legislation, and the Chair has discretion to disapply it on other occasions

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200405/cmselect/cmproced/125/125.pdf
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Topping

No single party is sleaze free.

However I agree if the cynicism effects voter turnout at the GE in 2015, it will disproportionately effect Labour voters,especially the ones who believe in more ethics regarding how business is conducted.

It also plays into the Cons "watermelon" green on the outside red on the inside charge that defines much criticism of left environmental policies: running a bank "ethically" is incompatible with running a bank well.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Time will tell whether this is the outlier - an 8% lead and Labour on 40% have been in the minority recently

Most recent YouGovs, Labour share / lead

40/8
    38/4
    39/7
    39/6
    40/8
    39/8
    42/10
    40/7
    39/5
    39/6
  • Options
    Both the Mail and the Telegraph have picked up the Mr Harriet Harman story:

Labour frontbencher 'favourited' explicit gay porn tweets
    Jack Dromey, who is married to Harriet Harman, blames his links to gay porn sites on a “technological mix up"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10464348/Labour-frontbencher-favourited-explicit-gay-porn-tweets.html

Harriet Harman's MP husband left red-faced after adding gay porn Tweet to his 'favourites'
    Labour MP Jack Dromey linked to a tweet about well-endowed black men
    Harriet Harman's husband made a 'technological mix up', spokesman said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511016/Harriet-Harmans-MP-husband-Jack-Dromey-adds-gay-porn-Tweet-favourites.html#ixzz2lGtZgfmL
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited November 2013
    Food for thought - A Labour majority is the same price as an England win in the test. Both 2.66.

No idea how to rad the first test at the moment. England got off to a great start but we are batting second, Cook is very defensive minded and there could be some weather.

Aus +0.00
    Eng +9.79
    Draw -5.90

Stats suggest the draw price is too short, but something niggles that it isn't so I'm on a very small (But green) book at the moment.

I was anticipating Aus to be on maybe 270-5 when I woke up. Annoyed I didn't take more of the 6.0 on offer for England !
  • Options
    "A Labour majority is the same price as an England win in the test"

Sounds about right. If I was forced to put my house on one or the other, I'd struggle to choose.
  • Options
    Those poor grannies :(

MaggieLavan ‏@MaggieLavan 15m
    Last year the Co-op paid £64million in dividends to its members. This year there will be no dividend. Labour will still get it's donation
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Business activity in the eurozone’s two largest economies is diverging sharply, with France’s private sector contracting after two months of growth while in Germany it accelerated to a 10-month high, according to a survey.

Employment levels and order books in France both fell at the sharpest rate since May, underlining the weakness of the recovery in the eurozone’s second-biggest economy.

The French economy shrank by 0.1 per cent in the third quarter and Markit Economics, which compiles the survey, said Thursday’s data suggest the country could fall back into recession.

www.ft.com
  • Options

Sub-judice still applies to the House of Commons

The effect of Article IX of the Bill of Rights is that an who MP contravenes the sub judice rule may be punished under the rules of the House, but in no other way. A publisher of a website on the other hand is bound by the strict liability rule and may be committed to prison for contempt.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

Sounds about right. If I was forced to put my house on one or the other, I'd struggle to choose.

CON majority is the biggest mispricing of the 6 prices on offer. (Too short still)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    SeanT said:

Extraordinary photos capturing the intensity and density of Chinese cities.

Surely that is all just Hong Kong. Why would Chinese cities in general need to be such high density?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Food for thought - A Labour majority is the same price as an England win in the test. Both 2.66.

No idea how to rad the first test at the moment. England got off to a great start but we are batting second, Cook is very defensive minded and there could be some weather.

Aus +0.00
    Eng +9.79
    Draw -5.90

Stats suggest the draw price is too short, but something niggles that it isn't so I'm on a very small (But green) book at the moment.

I was anticipating Aus to be on maybe 270-5 when I woke up. Annoyed I didn't take more of the 6.0 on offer for England !

Big advantage of the England bet is you get the money back this weekend. With the Labour bet you never see it again.

Am

Oz +2
    Eng +102
    Draw - 104

• Options
    Tele:

Royal Mail share sale did not contribute to improved public finances

09.49 Last week that ONS decided that the £2bn netted by the government for selling its 60pc stake in Royal Mail should not reduce headline government borrowing- meaning the public finances improved even without this boost.

So where does the cash go ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

R0berts said:

CON majority is the biggest mispricing of the 6 prices on offer. (Too short still)
    I was just about to say that. Pop down the bookies and you can get a longer price on Man Utd winning the Premier League than a Tory majority! And roughly the same as Chelsea or Arsenal.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Tele:

09.49 Last week that ONS decided that the £2bn netted by the government for selling its 60pc stake in Royal Mail should not reduce headline government borrowing- meaning the public finances improved even without this boost.

Will it come out of the net cash requirement?
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Surely that is all just Hong Kong. Why would Chinese cities in general need to be such high density?
    there is a lot of migration from the countryside to the cities which pushes up demand for intensive housing plus the model that much of China is copying in several aspects is HK/Sing where such housing densities exist and, to the PRC, are the symbol of an advanced society.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "Gloria De Piero ‏@GloriaDePieroMP 9m
    As an ex journo I'm struggling to work out why the Labour Party is being blamed for regulatory failures at the co-op bank."

FSA set up by Brown, fitness of Labour Councillors for the job.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    R0berts said:

Pulpstar said:

R0berts said:

I was just about to say that. Pop down the bookies and you can get a longer price on Man Utd winning the Premier League than a Tory majority! And roughly the same as Chelsea or Arsenal.
    I'm on Man Utd to win the prem - Its one of those looked good but gone a bit bad but could be ok again types.
  • Options
    Looks like the £10Bn less for the year looks about right...

David Smith ‏@dsmitheconomics 4m
    Public sector borrowing in October marginally lower than a year ago but running total April-October is £5.8bn down: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_335634.pdf
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    TGOHF said:

Tele:

It reduces total debt but not current borrowing - as its a non-recurring item. It does however reduce the net cash requirement. Interestingly the share transfer to employees actually counted against government borrowing, increasing PSNB by £331m.

Tax receipts continuing to look good and looking at the PSNB trend, we might even see sub £90bn in borrowing.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Any revisions to previous borrowing figures?
  • Options
    PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 23m

Nick Clegg says #snowden leaks "chip away at the bedrock of public support for these agencies and that’s a dangerous thing". #callclegg

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 26m

Nick Clegg says surveillance powers are now "on a scale which was unimaginable even a few years ago". #callclegg
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) produces medium term forecasts of the public finances twice a year (normally in March and December). The latest published forecasts were that:-
    • PSNB ex in 2011/12 would be £126.0 billion;
    • PSNB ex in 2012/13 would be £86.5 billion;
    • PSNB ex in 2012/13 after removing the impacts of the transfer of the Royal Mail Pension Plan

and the transfers from the Asset Purchase Facility would be £120.9 billion;

OBR will publish their revised forecasts for the fiscal year 2013/14 on December 5th 2013.

This statistical bulletin reports the latest estimates of outturn as:
    • PSNB ex in 2011/12 was £118.5 billion;
    • PSNB ex in 2012/13 was £80.6 billion;
    • PSNB ex in 2012/13 after removing the impacts of the transfer of the Royal Mail Pension Plan
    and the transfers from the Asset Purchase Facility was £115.0 billion;
  • Options
    Golly! Some polling evidence.
    Felicity Morse ‏@FelicityMorse 12 Nov

Ok Londoners think MPs fiddling their expenses is worse than smoking crack (YouGov) pic.twitter.com/C2jbdGVKaD
    LOL
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Grandiose said:

2012/13 PSNB down by £0.4bn to £115.0bn

2013/14 ytd up by £0.1bn
  • Options
    I visited Xi'an to see the terracotta army, left as soon as I'd seen it and headed back to Beijing which seemed like the greenest place on the planet after Xi'an ^^;;;;;;
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Quite a few Chinese cities are like that (though Hong Kong and Macau must be the most extreme). Here's a pic of Guangzhou:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Guangzhou-shopping-street-0539.jpg
    Schenzhen is very similar. Makes Hull look like St Tropez.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,068
    SeanT said:

twitter.com/Travel__PR/status/403459012575772672/photo/1

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/11/20/i-wish-these-buildings-were-photoshopped-but-theyre-not/

That reminds me of the not-missed Kowloon Walled City:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City
    http://www.archdaily.com/361831/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Travelling from Shanghai Airport to the city is an extraordinary experience: endless tower blocks in all directions for miles on end. Makes Hong Kong seem like a small town in comparison.
  • Options
    @FaisalIslam "UK "identifiably" spends £8,788 per head. England: £8,529. Scotland: £10,152. N Ireland: £10,665 Wales: £9,709. New regional pub spend data"

Or in another words England gets 3% LESS than average, Wales 10% above average. Scotland 16% above, and N Ireland 24% above, identifiably..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    SeanT said:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/11/20/i-wish-these-buildings-were-photoshopped-but-theyre-not/

I was doing a seminar for a Chinese delegation (on global warming) from Shanghai yesterday, and we got onto the subject of the British preference for separate houses with gardens, which they thought charming if a little quaint.To illustrate the problems of urban sprawl which that reinforces, I asked them what Shanghai would be like if a third of the population opted for individual houses. They boggled and chuckled - one suggested that they could allay tensions with Japan by building the promontory out from Shanghai to Tokyo.

But pictures like this can be misleading, don't you think? - like pictures of Tube crowds which make us all look like ants. As an individual you don't really feel like an ant. I grew up in a tower block - I was just concerned with the 8th floor, and didn't really care if there were another 5 or 50 floors.

Basically in highly-populated cities one has to build upwards or outwards - there are no other options unless we want to get into troglodysm.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Matt is brilliant today..
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Jack Dromey, who is married to Harriet Harman, blames his links to gay porn sites on a “technological mix up"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10464348/Labour-frontbencher-favourited-explicit-gay-porn-tweets.html

Harriet Harman's MP husband left red-faced after adding gay porn Tweet to his 'favourites'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2511016/Harriet-Harmans-MP-husband-Jack-Dromey-adds-gay-porn-Tweet-favourites.html#ixzz2lGtZgfmL

Two possible explanations.

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

My response to 1&2 is "so what"?

Give it a break. It's purile.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Oh please, yet more special pleading from lefties. Given that Dromey has now made this "mistake" TWICE, six months apart, we can assume that 2 is closer to the truth than 1.

In which case, would Labour stop their chortling and sneering if the same "mistake" was made by the spouse of a very senior Tory? No. tim wouldn't stop mentioning it until the Heat Death of the universe.
    Show me one post of mine where I have attacked a politician of any stripe for "deviance". I could not give a f--k if Cameron likes escorts or coke or whatever. Who cares?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

• Options
    London Tubes to run all night on Fri and Sat from 2015.

And all ticket offices to shut....

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,068
    SeanT said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Oh please, yet more special pleading from lefties. Given that Dromey has now made this "mistake" TWICE, six months apart, we can assume that 2 is closer to the truth than 1.

In which case, would Labour stop their chortling and sneering if the same "mistake" was made by the spouse of a very senior Tory? No. tim wouldn't stop mentioning it until the Heat Death of the universe.
    To be fair, it might not even have been him. It would not surprise me if one of his team also accessed and managed his tweets.

I'm quite glad that I've never had anything to do with Twitter ...
  • Options
    Pudong seems uncanny because every building looks as if it were newly-built, which of course is pretty much the case. In almost every Western city the majority of high rise buildings are more than 30 years old, something you don't really appreciate until you go to somewhere like Shanghai.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Should be good for London's night-time economy.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Married male MP advertises liking for gay porn on social media.... Think it's worth a mention. No one has criticised him on grounds of moral outrage, it's jut funny when people are caught out. It's you that needs to lighten up
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Has Bob Crow responded to this plan?
  • Options
    "HarperCollins UK boss tells publishers: take storytelling back from digital rivals":

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/20/harpercollins-charlie-redmayne-publishers-storytelling-digital
  • Options
    isam said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Married male MP advertises liking for gay porn on social media.... Think it's worth a mention. No one has criticised him on grounds of moral outrage, it's jut funny when people are caught out. It's you that needs to lighten up
    Live and let live FFS.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Has Bob Crow responded to this plan?
    Blah blah fight tooth and nail...
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

His sexuality is neither here nor there. His wife's pronouncements on the subject of pornography is a matter of public record. Although to be fair, AFAIK her complaints have been about the objectification and exploitation of women and not men. I wonder if he has a view on the latter?
  • Options
    Bobajob - It is quite funny though.

• Options

SeanT said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

To be fair, it might not even have been him. It would not surprise me if one of his team also accessed and managed his tweets.

I'm quite glad that I've never had anything to do with Twitter ...
    The Mail says only he has access to his Twitter account, so it can't be anyone else.

• Options

Bobajob said:

His sexuality is neither here nor there. His wife's pronouncements on the subject of pornography is a matter of public record. Although to be fair, AFAIK her complaints have been about the objectification and exploitation of women and not men. I wonder if he has a view on the latter?
    Get a life.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Get a life.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS:Turkish police shoot and wound a suspected suicide bomber outside the prime minister's office, state media say.

Next story on Guido might not look good for JD.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    Oh dear, Peter Oborne needs to brush up on his statistics:

Mathematicians tell us that the statistical probability against a coin coming up heads six times in a row is 64-1. In other words there is only one chance in 64 that Labour’s score of 6/6 was a coincidence.

If we take the 2005 starting position of Labour holding 355 out of 646 seats, the correct figure is a 2.7% chance that all six would Labour, if the null hypothesis is that there was no systematic bias towards Labour MPs being more corrupt than other MPs, i.e. a one in 37 chance. (355/646 for the first, 354/645 for the second etc, multiplied together). This assumes we include Sinn Fein MPs, which I think is right because they claimed expenses even though they didn't take part in parliamentary debates and votes.

Still statisically significant by the most commonly-used assessment, of course.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Bobajob said:

isam said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Live and let live FFS.
    Haha are you stuck on repeat?

No one has taken the moral high ground with Dromey, everyone is, perfectly normally, laughing at someone getting caught in a compromising situation. So what?

You have made it clear that you are groovily relaxed about it all, and that you've missed the point.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Get a life.
    Got a mirror dear?

I don't spend my time telling other posters what to post.

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was doing a seminar for a Chinese delegation (on global warming) from Shanghai yesterday, and we got onto the subject of the British preference for separate houses with gardens, which they thought charming if a little quaint.To illustrate the problems of urban sprawl which that reinforces, I asked them what Shanghai would be like if a third of the population opted for individual houses. They boggled and chuckled - one suggested that they could allay tensions with Japan by building the promontory out from Shanghai to Tokyo.

But pictures like this can be misleading, don't you think? - like pictures of Tube crowds which make us all look like ants. As an individual you don't really feel like an ant. I grew up in a tower block - I was just concerned with the 8th floor, and didn't really care if there were another 5 or 50 floors.

Basically in highly-populated cities one has to build upwards or outwards - there are no other options unless we want to get into troglodysm.

I wasn't dissing Chinese cities. I LIKE high density cities: this is where I was last night in Bangkok, drunk, happy, with everybody salsa dancing at midnight on the fortieth storey rooftop bar of a skyscraper:

twitter.com/thomasknox/status/403193544539521024/photo/1

Bangkok (obviously) and Hong Kong are two of my favourite places on earth. The view of Hong Kong from Kowloon is one of the most stirring of all urban experiences.

Personally I think we need more density in London. I'd like to see the Pinnacle built in the City to complete the cluster, and we should build huge towers in Canary Wharf and eastwards (we need 1m more homes in London in the next 20 years, so we haven't much choice)

I think that is sensible, also if you have enourmously high density populations in the major cities then, all else being equal, you don't need to concrete over the countryside. Both countryside and city lovers are happy bunnies.
  • Options
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

Get a life.
    Got a mirror dear?

I don't spend my time telling other posters what to post.

No, you spend your time telling us what to read.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

1. It was a mistake.
    2. He likes gay porn.

If only Cams internet censorship had started already, all this would have been nicely avoided!!
This discussion has been closed.