Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets still make December favourite for the gene

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    A terrrrible result for the theory that the Tories will clean up in Leaver England.
    By doubling their vote share?
    Con + UKIP/Brexit Party went down. Labour + Lib Dem went up.
    Corbyn Labour is not a Remain party unlike the LDs
    Sleazy Tories on the slide!
    Tories up 17%
    They might have peaked! What is amazing is TM could get 40% plus whereas BJ struggles with artificial support from the Brexit supporting media to get 35%! Is that why BJ is a winner and TM a loser?
    TM did not have the Brexit Party
    And if the Spartans had followed Boris and voted for Mays' deal then there would not have been the need to pay homage to non Tories like farage in order to get brexit.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    I was very disappointed with Mind Hunters Season 2. Season 1 was outstanding.

Not as bad as Westworld, but there are so many tv shows over the past 3-4 years that have followed a similar pattern. Ozarks, Westworld, Billions, all big budget shows that are piss poor.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

QT audience has its finger on the pulse as ever

twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1182417998235295750?s=21

Isn't it past his bed time?
    So behind the times... people on here have been confidently proclaiming Boris was only interested in No Deal, day in day out, for weeks!
    *cough* I dont know what you're talking about. Innocent face.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    A terrrrible result for the theory that the Tories will clean up in Leaver England.
    Tories up 17%
    They might have peaked! What is amazing is TM could get 40% plus whereas BJ struggles with artificial support from the Brexit supporting media to get 35%! Is that why BJ is a winner and TM a loser?
    UKIP were still in the mid-teens while she was polling 40%.

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-14th-february-2017/

• Options
    edited October 2019

Both were ok, but my word the lead chap is a charisma vacuum.

I think ozarks season 2 held up well.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

IanB2 said:

Americans keep dropping dead from Vaping. Surely the next scandal to come?

I was shocked to find out just how much nicotine is in the leading brand, Juul, plus how much people actually use of it.

I'm not a smoker, but the unscientific caffeine equivalent seems like somebody going from having a few cups of coffee a day, to constantly pounding cans of Red Bull.
    An awful lot of the vaping deaths are of kids who have been mixing cannabis into their vapes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Random question. Who’s looking forward to El Camino?

Me, I've rewatched Breaking Bad over the summer.

Breaking Bad is the best TV show ever, anyone who says otherwise will spend eternity stuck in a lift with Piers Morgan.
    Nah Deadwood is far better.
    That’s more controversial than any Brexit statement made on this site!!!!
    Deadwood is jolly good, Breaking Bad is better (but the ending sucks)

Superior to all of them is Spartacus. An absolute masterpiece. They invented their own dialect.

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Despite a famous novellist PBer also adoring Spartacus I just could not get into it. But Breaking Bad was much more over hyped.
    Narco’s?
    Never seen it unfortunately. The Wire is a great show, as I recall, but I've never felt the urge to rewatch it so I doubt it is as good as I remember. Better than the borefest of Mad Men, for sure.
    We’re all remarkably affable and pleasant when the B word is taken out of conversation for a while. A promising sign for when things will, and they will, clam down and revert to normality.
    What have the Lib Dems got to offer if Brexit gets done?

Still going to revoke if they win a majority?

Scrap tuition fees?
    When the poison pill of Brexit starts to bite, people won’t be thanking the Tories, or rushing to vote Labour.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

Both were ok, but my word the lead chap is a charisma vacuum.
    Season 1 was great, because of all the recreations of the real interviews with the serial killers. It was absolutely incredible viewing seeing / hearing these crazed people talk about their actions in calm and rational matter of fact manner.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

May got 42% and no majority with UKIP on 1.8% in 2017, Cameron got 37% and a majority with UKIP on 12.7% in 2015
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Breaking Bad is the best TV show ever, anyone who says otherwise will spend eternity stuck in a lift with Piers Morgan.

Superior to all of them is Spartacus. An absolute masterpiece. They invented their own dialect.

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Despite a famous novellist PBer also adoring Spartacus I just could not get into it. But Breaking Bad was much more over hyped.
    Narco’s?
    Never seen it unfortunately. The Wire is a great show, as I recall, but I've never felt the urge to rewatch it so I doubt it is as good as I remember. Better than the borefest of Mad Men, for sure.
    We’re all remarkably affable and pleasant when the B word is taken out of conversation for a while. A promising sign for when things will, and they will, clam down and revert to normality.

Scrap tuition fees?
    Ummm: there will be millions of people who still feel very angry about Brexit, and they will be a repository for their votes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?
    When the poison pill of Brexit starts to bite, people won’t be thanking the Tories, or rushing to vote Labour.
    No, but most will return to the dull habit of voting for them nevertheless.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

Which highlights that - beneath all the noise - the most significant shift is that the Tories have lost their remainers to the LibDems. As in PB, as in the real world..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?
    Ummm: there will be millions of people who still feel very angry about Brexit, and they will be a repository for their votes.
    I don’t think there will be millions of people who still feel very angry about Brexit once we’ve been out for a couple of years
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Con already hold Corby and this is a swing Lab to Con in a Labour held ward.

Doesn't look like Labour will be winning Coby back anytime soon and if they can't take Corby they can't take Number Ten.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

Which highlights that - beneath all the noise - the most significant shift is that the Tories have lost their remainers to the LibDems. As in PB, as in the real world..
    And the Tories still lead the polls, had the Tories still lost their Leavers to the Brexit Party they would be in third or 4th place as they were after May extended
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    CatMan said:

I will never understand why people like The West Wing. It's like a CBBC show about US politics.

I’m in Washington now and surprised to find that it seems a reasonably decent place to live. With features reminiscent of European cities - such as focusing traffic on main roads, tree-lined streets, pavement dining, wide pavements and walkability - where most American towns fail. Yet pretty much every American who i’ve told we’re coming here has told me how dreadful it is and suggested that I shouldn’t bother.

I don’t think the UK has yet reached the level of disdain for London that Americans have for their capital?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Con already hold Corby and this is a swing Lab to Con in a Labour held ward.

Doesn't look like Labour will be winning Coby back anytome soon and if they can't take Corby they can't take Number Ten.
    Indeed
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Andrew said:

The spinoff (Better Call Saul) is fantastic too. A different style, but that's necessary to avoid just being a tame echo of the original.
    Absolutely stands on its own. Very very slow. But all the better for it.
    Indeed. It grows as it goes along too.

You could probably make the case the end of last season surpassed Breaking Bad.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

I will never understand why people like The West Wing. It's like a CBBC show about US politics.

I’m in Washington now and surprised to find that it seems a reasonably decent place to live. With features reminiscent of European cities - such as focusing traffic on main roads, tree-lined streets, wide pavements and walkability - where most American towns fail. Yet pretty much every American who i’ve told we’re coming here has told me how dreadful it is and said I shouldn’t bother.

I don’t think the UK has yet reached the level of disdain for London that Americans have for their capital?
    That is because London is closer to New York than Washington DC
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    It's offering a 2nd ref. With remain an option
    While negotiating a Labour Brexit Deal
    Labour don’t have a backstop problem. Labour will agree a CU brexit deal in about 8 seconds. The Tory problem has been negotiating with themselves not EU.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?
    I don’t think there will be millions of people who still feel very angry about Brexit once we’ve been out for a couple of years
    I disagree: Ireland's politics, even almost a century after independence, are still defined by acceptance or not of the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

And there will be winners and losers from Brexit, and the losers will be sore for a long time
  • Options
    Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

I was shocked to find out just how much nicotine is in the leading brand, Juul, plus how much people actually use of it.

I'm not a smoker, but the unscientific caffeine equivalent seems like somebody going from having a few cups of coffee a day, to constantly pounding cans of Red Bull.
    An awful lot of the vaping deaths are of kids who have been mixing cannabis into their vapes.
    That's interesting. Has a 'lethal dose of cannabis' finally been discovered?
    Many research efforts had been made over several decades, yet never had a lethal cannabis intoxication ever been observed.
    Neither among humans nor any other species, neither in set trials nor 'accidentally' in real life.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

May got 42% and no majority with UKIP on 1.8% in 2017, Cameron got 37% and a majority with UKIP on 12.7% in 2015
    So, what you're saying is it's better for the Tories to lose their Brexity loons?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?
    I disagree: Ireland's politics, even almost a century after independence, are still defined by acceptance or not of the terms of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

And there will be winners and losers from Brexit, and the losers will be sore for a long time
    I have to wonder where these people were in June 2017
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,712
    edited October 2019

Drutt said:

If a brexit deal has been struck in the Wirral today it will give the scousers another reason to be absolutely unbearable

The Wirral isn't Liverpool, there's a bit of water and a tunnel between the two.

Plastic Scousers is the usual term for Wirralites.

Before anyone gets upset, I married a plastic Scouser.
    But the Wirral is Merseyside (though try telling that to those arses in West Kirby).
    Incidently, I think the term is plazzy Scouser.

Yours,

Plazzy Scouser from Wallasey (now lives in Bootle).
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

I’m in Washington now and surprised to find that it seems a reasonably decent place to live. With features reminiscent of European cities - such as focusing traffic on main roads, tree-lined streets, pavement dining, wide pavements and walkability - where most American towns fail. Yet pretty much every American who i’ve told we’re coming here has told me how dreadful it is and suggested that I shouldn’t bother.

Best thing about DC is it has Nando’s.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The committee cited data about under-34s who spend on average more than twice as much time each day watching YouTube than they do BBC 1, BBC2, ITV 1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 combined, suggesting that there is a danger that income will continue to diminish in the coming years as younger viewers simply choose not to pay the licence fee.

The BBC is increasingly betting its future on its iPlayer streaming service, promising television producers and on-screen stars at an event this week that they could offer greater creative freedom and promotional backing than Netflix and services such as Apple TV, even if they could not compete on funding.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/oct/11/bbc-licence-fee-streaming-competition-netflix

Not just Netflix. By the end of this year there will be Netflix, Apple, Disney+ (and Hulu), HBO, and a host of others.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

So, what you're saying is it's better for the Tories to lose their Brexity loons?
    As long as diehard Remainers keep lining up behind the LDs rather than Corbyn Labour yes, those who back the Brexit Party will never support a Brexit Deal.

However up to a point, the Tories can win a majority with the Brexit Party around 10 to 15%, if the Brexit Party are on 15 to 20%+ as they were after May extended then the Tories cannot win a majority
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Labour don’t have a backstop problem. Labour will agree a CU brexit deal in about 8 seconds. The Tory problem has been negotiating with themselves not EU.
    Which still means Labour is not a Remain party unlike the LDs
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    I did a YouGov poll in the last 24hrs asking voting intention. There were also questions on Brexit and various deals including No Deal. I wonder when the information will be released?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

Many research efforts had been made over several decades, yet never had a lethal cannabis intoxication ever been observed.
    Neither among humans nor any other species, neither in set trials nor 'accidentally' in real life.
    Perhaps weed plus vape is more napalmy on your lungs than vape alone. My understanding (anecdotal rather than clinical) is that it's a lung trauma thing rather than a psychoactive thing causing the problems.

Anyway, don't vape weed.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Tories up 17%

As long as diehard Remainers keep lining up behind the LDs rather than Corbyn Labour yes, those who back the Brexit Party will never support a Brexit Deal.

However up to a point, the Tories can win a majority with the Brexit Party around 10 to 15%, if the Brexit Party are on 15 to 20%+ as they were after May extended then the Tories cannot win a majority
    Your making the mistake in thinking the next GE will be like 2015 imo. The LD are going to be eating into Tory seats as will the SNP. If Labour hold much of what they got in 2017, the Tories will be screwed. It has to be remembered the Tories are seeking a realignment election, the vote distrubution might be worse than 2017 and certainly 2015.
  • Options
    If Boris secures a Brexit deal it'll be a landslide wipe out for the Tories at any subsequent GE. It'll be 1945 all over again - 'Thanks Boris, you've atoned, but we really need to move onto something else now. You do understand don't you?'
  • Options
    rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

I'm in DC on Monday afternoon! So excited to hear about the Nando's
  • Options

Drutt said:

If a brexit deal has been struck in the Wirral today it will give the scousers another reason to be absolutely unbearable

The Wirral isn't Liverpool, there's a bit of water and a tunnel between the two.

But the Wirral is Merseyside (though try telling that to those arses in West Kirby).

Yours,

Although John Peel famously referred to OMD as 'a right bunch of Wools' when they appeared on Top of The Pops.

(At the better end of the East Lancs Road, a Wool is someone from St.Helens or Warrington).
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited October 2019
    Drutt said:

Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

Perhaps weed plus vape is more napalmy on your lungs than vape alone. My understanding (anecdotal rather than clinical) is that it's a lung trauma thing rather than a psychoactive thing causing the problems.

Anyway, don't vape weed.
    As I said, cannabis on its own is, basically, not toxic. Nicotine, on the other hand, is highly so.
    Cannabis does, in fact, feature vasodilating properties. I could well imagine that adding a very liberal dose of cannabis to a stupidly monstrous dose of nicotine might amplify the effects of the latter so strongly that a medical emergency is induced.
    I think it would be safer to say "Anyway, don't vape nicotine". And better to never mix the two.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Yeah, right.

On Monday morning I leave for Chesapeake Bay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Which still means Labour is not a Remain party unlike the LDs
    Where would we all be, without your insight and analysis?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Wish they’d come to NYC.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Drutt said:

Yours,

Or as the Tranmere Rovers chant has it

Don't be mistaken, don't be misled,
    We're not Scousers, we're from Birkenhead.
    You can #### your cathedrals and your Pier Head
    For we're not Scousers, we're from Birkenhead
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?

If they were in favour of a hard Brexit they were voting Tory - giving the Tories their highest vote share since 1992 - and if that prospect horrified then they voted Labour as best-placed to prevent the Tories winning a majority.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Drutt said:

Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

Anyway, don't vape weed.
    As I said, cannabis on its own is, basically, not toxic. Nicotine, on the other hand, is highly so.
    Cannabis does, in fact, feature vasodilating properties. I could well imagine that adding a very liberal dose of cannabis to a stupidly monstrous dose of nicotine might amplify the effects of the latter so strongly that a medical emergency is induced.
    I think it would be safer to say "Anyway, don't vape nicotine". And better to never mix the two.
    TBH from what I understand vaping weed is the healthiest way to do weed.

Also speaking as someone who has done both nicotine comes with far worse effects!
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?

If they were in favour of a hard Brexit they were voting Tory - giving the Tories their highest vote share since 1992 - and if that prospect horrified then they voted Labour as best-placed to prevent the Tories winning a majority.
    I think at that point whilst people (remainer people) didn't like the no deal is better than a bad deal rhetoric and maybe some of the other stuff people were more prepared to accept the idea of Brexit, maybe it won't be so bad...

I feel like the Conservatives did everything they could to push reluctant Brexiteers away from that kind of thinking.

• Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Some gains​ for the conservatives, still a long way to go to close the gap.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,643
    Scott_P said:
    As usual, something weird going on with Giuliani...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/10/rudy-giuliani-vienna/599833/
    ...This morning, Giuliani told me he’d have to reschedule our lunch. I’ve tried to reach him since then, to discuss Parnas’s and Fruman’s arrests, among other things, to no avail. When I called at 3 p.m. ET to ask about his Vienna trip, a woman claiming to be his communications director answered the phone. I have called him more than 100 times over the past year, and this is the first time that has ever happened. She said she’d have to get back to me. As we spoke, I could hear a voice that resembled Giuliani’s shout “asshole” in the background. “Oh, sorry,” the woman told me. “He was talking to the TV.”

Why were Parnas and Fruman bound for Vienna? Why was Giuliani—if what he told me was true—planning to be in the same city a day later?

Giuliani finally sent me a text message at 4:18 p.m. ET: “I can’t comment on it at this time.”...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

TGOHF2 said:

Show me to wine, Crixus.
    Narco’s?

Scrap tuition fees?
    The LibDems: the Bile Party.... Sounds about right.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/redrum57/status/1182223729260150784

Election twists on Labour getting these younger voters out in big numbers and the Brexit party putting in a decent performance (with the older age group) they also tend to turn out in much higher numbers (from a low base) in general elections compared to local elections.

Edit: Should probably mention I randomly saw this on twitter, not sure where it is from...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Drutt said:

Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

Anyway, don't vape weed.

Also speaking as someone who has done both nicotine comes with far worse effects!
    I can't see vaping canabis will be less unhealthy than ingesting it.

Certainly the worst in terms of long term health is smoking tabacco, which puts tar+smoke+nicotine in the lungs
    Then comes smoking canabis (gras joint, bong or pipe) without tabacco.

But vaping is still putting a high concentration of chemicals in the lungs which will also have a long term health impact.

I agree that nicotine however it is taken is bad. It is a poison.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    eristdoof said:

Drutt said:

Drutt said:

IanB2 said:

Anyway, don't vape weed.

I can't see vaping canabis will be less unhealthy than ingesting it.

Certainly the worst in terms of long term health is smoking tabacco, which puts tar+smoke+nicotine in the lungs
    Then comes smoking canabis (gras joint, bong or pipe) without tabacco.

But vaping is still putting a high concentration of chemicals in the lungs which will also have a long term health impact.

I agree that nicotine however it is taken is bad. It is a poison.
    TBH I forget sometimes that you can take it other ways than burning/heating and inhaling, vaping is the healthiest form of that, you are right that eating it is healthier.

I don't actually know all that much about the difference when it comes to the vaping oils people use with nicotine in them, haven't really looked into it. My understanding is it is can be healthier to vape something rather than smoke it like a cigarette but obviously it can still be bad if it is unhealthy to start with.

Also in terms of smoking weed, a grass/skunk joint is actually a lot better than a rocky/solids* joint in terms of lungs, the former is stronger as well so you smoke less, more flammable as well so you can use less tobacco.

*Dark brown almost stone looking thing that gives off a lot of smoke, less pure than grass/skunk.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As long as Diehard Remainers

"I am an exceptional Remainer, Mr HYUFD, and since I'm moving up to Revoking, you should be more polite!"
This discussion has been closed.