Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With Trump in trouble a look at the best betting markets

12346»

Comments

• MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Good on you. Have you met your fellow constituency members yet? I am still debating whether or not I should take the plunge. I am very clear I’m a social democrat and I am not sure I can legitimately share a party with Liberals and Tory wets who, however much I like and admire them in many ways, fundamentally see the world differently to me.

Surely there are lots of Lib Dems who sing from the hymn sheet of Nordic social democracy?

• Why rejoin when we can just revoke?

Erm, because rejoining would be a legitimate progression of the democratic process rather than revoking being just about, in fact definitely, the most anti-democratic route available.
    Nope. Wrong.
    Were you talking about the LD's revoking after being elected with a majority at a GE or parliament deciding to revoke before the next GE?
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    rcs1000 said:

Why was sensible Brexiteer Penny Morduant sacked?

For being oxymoronic.
  • Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Why rejoin when we can just revoke?

Erm, because rejoining would be a legitimate progression of the democratic process rather than revoking being just about, in fact definitely, the most anti-democratic route available.
    100% correct.
  • rcs1000 said:

No plan survives contact with the enemy. Or to put it another way, I seriously doubt they planned to get rebuffed in their attempt to get an election.

I would probably agree with that.

Ultimately though Boris holds the trump card with the option to resign the government.
    I used to think Theresa May held the trump card with the option to attach her deal to a second referendum, and she probably did, but in the end the dynamics of the Tory party meant she couldn’t play it.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Number crunching
    Things we should be told about 52

Card not so sharp
    Excluding jokers (there used to be only 2), its the number of playing cards in a pack

Betting News
    The number of laps in a British Grand Prix

Unrelated
    The number of white keys on a piano
    The international dialling code for Mexico

In the old news
    The number of US hostages held by Iran

Something else I can't remember but if you multiply it enough times you'll get to 17.4 million. Roughly.

Class 52 - Westerns.
    B-52 - largest jet bomber
    Tu-160 has a higher MTOW.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,082
    Mango said:

Good on you. Have you met your fellow constituency members yet? I am still debating whether or not I should take the plunge. I am very clear I’m a social democrat and I am not sure I can legitimately share a party with Liberals and Tory wets who, however much I like and admire them in many ways, fundamentally see the world differently to me.

Surely there are lots of Lib Dems who sing from the hymn sheet of Nordic social democracy?
    Since the end of the coalition, social liberals within the party have been in the ascendancy.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,082
    Gabs2 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I still think the Lib Dems will come to regret their decision to go straight to revoke .

During an election campaign it will come under more scrutiny . Aswell as this I think some Remainers will be mindful of the effect on the current divisions .

A second referendum with Remain v Leave .

If Leave wins then a second vote on leaving with a deal or no withdrawal agreement .

You can have this done over one week. If you’re going to have another vote that seems the fairest way .

I think in light of recent events with abuse and threats aimed at MPs and the toxic nature running riot in the UK , a straight revoke is irresponsible .

I like the Lib Dems and am an ardent Remainer but am deeply concerned by their policy .

If the Lib Dems won a majority it would be an even greater seismic event than the Brexit ref.
    It would be the biggest shock of all time . It still won’t change my view though . A straight revoke is irresponsible . Just as I think no deal doesn’t have a proper mandate , Revoke doesn’t either unless it’s by way of a second vote .
    A 2nd ref boycotted by leavers will give no mandate either.

There is no way out.
    If people still want to Leave then they’ll get out and vote especially if it’s fair with both Leave options .

I think no deal is unacceptable as it wasn’t what was sold in 2016 . The polarization has got worse since the ERG and others have tried to say this is now the only true Brexit .

I would only accept Revoke as an absolute last resort if it was to avoid no deal . I hope this isn’t what happens .
    It is not really reasonable to require to win two votes to win when we would have had Remain accepted with one vote.

Maybe the best way to resolve this is a straight May's Deal vs No Deal referendum. If the next General Election doesn't resolve this, we could do that.
    If people no longer want such a significant and damaging change, a second confirmatory vote now people see the implications is entirely reasonable. It isn’t some sort of game.
This discussion has been closed.