Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the polls are saying the memory of GE1992 will giv

Comments

• Options
    It needs to be remembered that in 1992 the Conservatives still lost 40 seats.

Because of the landslide majorities Thatcher had won they could afford to lose support and still win an election.

They do not have the same safety margin now - to remain in government they are likely to need to increase support.

Which brings us to the cheerleaders dilemma - for the Conservatives to gain increased support in constituency X or among demographic Y they have to conceed that the Conservatives underachieved in these places in 2010. Which goes against their fundamental belief that 2010 was a great electoral triumph for Cameron and Osborne and could not have been bettered by listening to outsiders.

The double think they require to reconcile these beliefs is a source of amusement.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ranil Jayawardena win North East Hampshire Conservative selection. He's a Cllr in Basingstoke. He inherits a 35.1% majority

I wonder. Like father, like son?
  • Options
    who is his father?
    Charles said:

Ranil Jayawardena win North East Hampshire Conservative selection. He's a Cllr in Basingstoke. He inherits a 35.1% majority

• Options
    Bobajob said:

@Carlotta

Words fail me. You won't hear from me again.

You didn't response to my earlier explanation of what EdM did wrong.
  • Options
    Hope I die before I get old.

"I will never, ever forgive the Labour party for allowing this mass immigration with no demands put on what people should be paid when they come to this country. I will never forgive them for destroying the jobs of my mates, because they allowed their jobs to be undercut with stupid thinking on Europe, letting them all in, so they can live 10 to a room, working for Polish wages”

http://tinyurl.com/ojzc9qo
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

It carefully avoids his work. Must be a banker then.
    It says that in the first line of the second paragraph!

No, It does not. It says "financial services", whatever that means. Like saying "medical services" instead of a doctor.

Is he ashamed to call himself a banker ?
    Because there are widely different views on what a "banker" is.

I would call myself an "investment banker". My father insists that I am not a "proper banker" but only a "financial adviser".

Financial services is a good generic term
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Just because you work for a bank doesn't make you a banker. Didn't Rachel Reeves work for HBOS before she became an MP? She wasn't a banker either.
  • Options

Because of the landslide majorities Thatcher had won they could afford to lose support and still win an election.

They do not have the same safety margin now - to remain in government they are likely to need to increase support.

Which brings us to the cheerleaders dilemma - for the Conservatives to gain increased support in constituency X or among demographic Y they have to conceed that the Conservatives underachieved in these places in 2010. Which goes against their fundamental belief that 2010 was a great electoral triumph for Cameron and Osborne and could not have been bettered by listening to outsiders.

The double think they require to reconcile these beliefs is a source of amusement.

Don't know who you've been listening to.

I thought it was pretty well-established consensus that Cameron did ok overall, after a poor campaign, and a very cynical performance by Labour. England was solid, Scotland very bad, and Wales surprised on the upside.

Overall a B/B+

But significant improvement needed.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited November 2013
    Without Banks and Bankers we would grind to a halt within a few days.. get real...or throw your credit card away..etc .. forget all of the things you rely on banks to do for you and how would anyone get a mortgage or even arrange the payments .. forget direct debits..cheque books... be paid in cash every week...
  • Options

who is his father?

Charles said:

Mr. Jayawardena. Forget his first name. Heard some fairly negative things about him.
  • Options

Hope I die before I get old.

"I will never, ever forgive the Labour party for allowing this mass immigration with no demands put on what people should be paid when they come to this country. I will never forgive them for destroying the jobs of my mates, because they allowed their jobs to be undercut with stupid thinking on Europe, letting them all in, so they can live 10 to a room, working for Polish wages”

http://tinyurl.com/ojzc9qo

I know you've deceived me, now here's a surprise.
  • Options
    There are two Scottish seats behind Peter Snow in the photo at the top. It is instructive to see what has happened to these "Tory seats" since then:

General Election 1992: Edinburgh West
    1st place: Conservative James Douglas-Hamilton 18,071 37.0%

General Election 2010: Edinburgh West
    3rd place: Conservative Stewart Geddes 10,767 23.2%

General Election 1992: Eastwood
    1st place: Conservative Allan Stewart 24,124 46.8%

General Election 1992: East Renfrewshire
    2nd place: Conservative Richard Cook 15,567 30.4%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Roger Daltrey to vote UKIP? He accuses Labour of betrayal over immigration and the EU
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1341640.ece

RIP To Dorothy Lessing too
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Not in other cultures. It is quite common for surnames to be different between fathers and sons.

I have a Keralan friend with only one name. For the sake of form filling (many do not accept a single name as an option!) He uses his fathers name as a first name.

It is not just in Asia, in Iceland it is normal for fathers and sons to have different surnames.
    tim said:

Charles said:

who is his father?

Charles said:

Mr. Jayawardena. Forget his first name. Heard some fairly negative things about him.
    I think we'd worked out the Mr Jayawardena bit Charles.
  • Options
    I doubt the 1992 result offers too much comfort, both the 2010 and 2005 BBC exit polls were pretty much spot on. Even in 1992 only NOP had Labour with a clear lead and, as has been pointed out, all the polls have now greatly improved their methodology. The UKIP vote though could still make the election hard to predict
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    From Telegraph piece on Paul Flowers.

"In addition to his work with the church and the Co-op, the Rev. Flowers has been involved in a number of high-profile public roles.

He served as a Labour councillor on the City of Bradford Council for ten years, and, in 2010, was appointed by Labour leader Ed Miliband to the party's finance and industry board.

He has also been involved with a number of charities, including the Terrence Higgins Trust, where he remains a trustee, and the Lifeline Project, which works in the field of drug abuse."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/business-news-markets-live/10455159/Profile-Rev.-Paul-Flowers.html
    A poacher turned gamekeeper.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    StuartD I think the Tories now have to accept that in Scotland they are largely confined to a spectator role, rather like the Canadian Tories in Quebec, with the main battle between the nationalists and Labour and to a lesser extent the Liberals
  • Options
    Or gamekeeper turned poacher!
    dr_spyn said:

From Telegraph piece on Paul Flowers.

"In addition to his work with the church and the Co-op, the Rev. Flowers has been involved in a number of high-profile public roles.

He served as a Labour councillor on the City of Bradford Council for ten years, and, in 2010, was appointed by Labour leader Ed Miliband to the party's finance and industry board.

He has also been involved with a number of charities, including the Terrence Higgins Trust, where he remains a trustee, and the Lifeline Project, which works in the field of drug abuse."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/business-news-markets-live/10455159/Profile-Rev.-Paul-Flowers.html
    A poacher turned gamekeeper.

• Options
    Charles said:

Don't know who you've been listening to.

I thought it was pretty well-established consensus that Cameron did ok overall, after a poor campaign, and a very cynical performance by Labour. England was solid, Scotland very bad, and Wales surprised on the upside.

Overall a B/B+

But significant improvement needed.
    Might I suggest you read what the cheerleaders write here.

NB I do not include you among their number, as I've said before you are the man Cameron should have been.

Your analysis is reasonable - you need to break down England into different regions and demographics to understand how much the Conservative strategy failed in 2010 - but yet again you are too generous with your final mark, a dangerous fault when trying to help.

But do you think that the Conservative leadership acknowleges it needs 'significant improvement' ?

If its planing on refighting 1992 then its in a defensive mode aiming to hold what it has and doesn't accept that it undereachieved in 2010.

What has undermined the Conservatives is the complacent self-satisfaction together with the lack of curiosity of their leadership. When Cameron and Osborne travel from government office to Conservative function, from photostunt to TV studio do they ever look out the car window and notice how things are changing and wonder about the electoral effects thereof ? I have my doubts.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

StuartD I think the Tories now have to accept that in Scotland they are largely confined to a spectator role, rather like the Canadian Tories in Quebec, with the main battle between the nationalists and Labour and to a lesser extent the Liberals

Speaking of the Tories and Scotland:

'Labour can't stick working with toxic Better Together'
    Many Labour activists "simply cannot stomach" working alongside the Conservatives in the pro-Union Better Together campaign, the chairman of Scottish Labour has admitted.

In comments which expose the tensions between the main partners in the No camp, Jackson Cullinane also claimed Scottish Labour had been "bounced" into its unwanted partnership with the Conservatives on the issue, and warned the alliance could come back "to haunt Labour in electoral terms".
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/labour-cant-stick-working-with-toxic-better-together.22716960
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    HYUFD said:

Iirc at the last GE the Conservative vote was pretty close to the Liberal and SNP in vote numbers, just spread out badly to result in few seats.
  • Options

There are two Scottish seats behind Peter Snow in the photo at the top. It is instructive to see what has happened to these "Tory seats" since then:

General Election 1992: Edinburgh West
    1st place: Conservative James Douglas-Hamilton 18,071 37.0%

General Election 2010: Edinburgh West
    3rd place: Conservative Stewart Geddes 10,767 23.2%

General Election 1992: Eastwood
    1st place: Conservative Allan Stewart 24,124 46.8%

General Election 1992: East Renfrewshire
    2nd place: Conservative Richard Cook 15,567 30.4%

The collapse in Edinburgh West is similar to that in other middle class urban constituencies throught Britain.

Eastwood / East Renfrewshire though was a utterly dredful result (and repeated in 2011 despite the Holyrood boundaries being more advantageous to the Conservatives). IIRC only Brent N, Ealing N and Micham & Morden have had bigger Con-Lab swings since 1992 and E/ER does not have the demographic change reason of the London constituencies.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

'Former Glasgow lord provost and Labour heavyweight Alex Mosson reveals he will vote Yes in 2014 independence referendum'
    - Mosson, a former Clyde shipyard worker, said the recent announcement by BAE Systems to cut more than 800 jobs in Scotland had strengthened his belief in independence.

Last week another senior Labour figure, Sir Charles Gray, leader of Strathclyde Regional Council from 1986-92, also said he would be voting for ­independence.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-glasgow-lord-provost-labour-2801772

It's quite interesting Stuart, these fairly high profile Labour figures coming out for Yes. As I have said before, I hope it's a No for emotional reasons, although were I Scottish, I am sure I would vote Yes. It seems the rational position. Presumably the key part of the Yes strategy is to create a Labourites for Independence faction?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

'Former Glasgow lord provost and Labour heavyweight Alex Mosson reveals he will vote Yes in 2014 independence referendum'
    - Mosson, a former Clyde shipyard worker, said the recent announcement by BAE Systems to cut more than 800 jobs in Scotland had strengthened his belief in independence.

Last week another senior Labour figure, Sir Charles Gray, leader of Strathclyde Regional Council from 1986-92, also said he would be voting for ­independence.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-glasgow-lord-provost-labour-2801772
    It's quite interesting Stuart, these fairly high profile Labour figures coming out for Yes. As I have said before, I hope it's a No for emotional reasons, although were I Scottish, I am sure I would vote Yes. It seems the rational position. Presumably the key part of the Yes strategy is to create a Labourites for Independence faction?

It already exists.

http://www.labourforindy.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/labourforindependence

As does:

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalDemocratVotersForIndependence
  • Options
    Corporeal Indeed, but the fact that the SNP gets such a rise in voteshare at Holyrood relative to the Tories only reinforces the trend
  • Options
    corporeal said:

HYUFD said:

Iirc at the last GE the Conservative vote was pretty close to the Liberal and SNP in vote numbers, just spread out badly to result in few seats.
    Indeed.

It is the SLDs who will be fulfilling "a spectator roll".
  • Options
    Bobajob - There is already such a group of Labour supporters for independence, website here: http://www.labourforindy.com/

SD I would imagine such Labourites will also have to grit their teeth to work with the SNP, Referendums do that, after all when else would you have had Tony Benn and Enoch Powell campaigning together than the EEC referendum?
  • Options

Bobajob said:

It already exists.

As does:

@HYUFD @ Stuart

My apologies. Excuse my ignorance.
    Interesting.
    I am starting to have this really odd feeling that Yes may just squeak it. I have no idea why as the polling evidence suggests it's in the bag for No. But in the last few days, I don't know. Just got an odd hunch.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Corporeal Indeed, but the fact that the SNP gets such a rise in voteshare at Holyrood relative to the Tories only reinforces the trend

Trend wise at GEs they're holding steady (with slight improvement).

corporeal said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

It is the SLDs who will be fulfilling "a spectator roll".
    Referendum etc to go, what the fallout of that will be is very brave to predict confidently.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bobajob - There is already such a group of Labour supporters for independence, website here: http://www.labourforindy.com/

SD I would imagine such Labourites will also have to grit their teeth to work with the SNP, Referendums do that, after all when else would you have had Tony Benn and Enoch Powell campaigning together than the EEC referendum?

Labour and the SNP are both parties of the centre-left. I realise that the SNP has a centre-right faction, but my understanding is that is relatively small. I am sure Stuart will elucidate?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

It already exists.

As does:

@HYUFD @ Stuart

Interesting.
    I am starting to have this really odd feeling that Yes may just squeak it. I have no idea why as the polling evidence suggests it's in the bag for No. But in the last few days, I don't know. Just got an odd hunch.

Betfair: Yes 6.2 No 1.18

Madness. Utter madness.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2013
    Bobajob said:

HYUFD said:

Labour and the SNP are both parties of the centre-left. I realise that the SNP has a centre-right faction, but my understanding is that is relatively small. I am sure Stuart will elucidate?
    Yes.

Note that Labour and the SNP (and the LibDems, Greens and others) worked extremely well together within Scotland FORward organisation, during the campaign for a Yes-Yes vote in the devolution referendum of 1997. Our activists tend to get on well with each other.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

It already exists.

As does:

@HYUFD @ Stuart

Interesting.

Betfair: Yes 6.2 No 1.18

Madness. Utter madness.

It's not utter madness - it's a reflection of people thinking that polling this far out from a vote is extremely unlikely to shift significantly. People placing complete faith in this may like to look at campaigns such as the AV referendum, the recent Senate abolition referendum in Ireland, the first Lisbon and Nice referendums in Ireland etc... The polling ahead of the Hollyrood 2011 election is superficially another example but I think it's slightly different as split voting there may not have been accounted for as well as it might have been.
  • Options
    corporeal True but it reinforces the failure of the Tories to emerge as the main opposition to Labour in Scotland

Bobajob Rural nationalists are often known as 'Tartan Tories'

SD Of course in Quebec the Yes campaign made it very tight, but No still squeeked it. Historically British referendums back the status quo, normally by around 2:1, so it would be going against the trend
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Referendum etc to go, what the fallout of that will be is very brave to predict confidently.

The SLDs are going to be slaughtered in 2015 whatever the outcome of the referendum.
  • Options
    Neil said:

corporeal said:

The SLDs are going to be slaughtered in 2015 whatever the outcome of the referendum.
    I was going to say something in that line too. But you put it much more eloquently.
  • Options
    @Neil: - "It's not utter madness - it's a reflection of people thinking that polling this far out from a vote is extremely unlikely to shift significantly. People placing complete faith in this may like to look at campaigns such as the AV referendum, the recent Senate abolition referendum in Ireland, the first Lisbon and Nice referendums in Ireland etc... The polling ahead of the Hollyrood 2011 election is superficially another example but I think it's slightly different as split voting there may not have been accounted for as well as it might have been."

Can you think of any elections where the polling 10 months out has *** NOT **** shifted significantly? I can't.

• Options
    Of course there is the argument that Andy Parsons made on 'Mock the Week' that polls show more English voters back Scottish independence than Scots, so the Scots will vote No to annoy the English!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Perhaps Labour need to wipe 2011 from the record as well.

"In that role I was also able to give the Treasury’s support for a new Private Members Bill that led to the creation of the first ever ‘super-mutual’ bringing Britannia Building Society and the Co-op Bank together in the interests of customers, rather than the banking elite."

http://www.edballs.co.uk/blog/?p=1066

Does he ever get anything right?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

LOL! I checked his register of interests on the council website. He works for Lloyds Banking Group

surbiton said:

But cannot bring himself to call his work as a banker ! What is he ashamed of ?
  • Options

Not in other cultures. It is quite common for surnames to be different between fathers and sons.

I have a Keralan friend with only one name. For the sake of form filling (many do not accept a single name as an option!) He uses his fathers name as a first name.

It is not just in Asia, in Iceland it is normal for fathers and sons to have different surnames.

Er, in Iceland people don't really have surnames, you have a patronymic (or a matronymic, if that's your preference). For example, President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson should be referred to as Ólafur, not as Mr Grímsson, which is something British news media consistently get wrong.
  • Options

Can you think of any elections where the polling 10 months out has *** NOT **** shifted significantly? I can't.

Yes - I gave a few examples of referendums, particularly those from Ireland which has had far more referendums in modern times than the UK, where that unexpected (from the bookies' / punters' perspective) shift happened. Where polling has showed a consistent lead of the kind 'no' currently has this kind of shift has tended to be the exception rather than the rule. Without looking I guess whatever polling there was in Scotland in '97 showed consistent 'yes' / 'yes' leads?
  • Options
    Just heard the trailer for R4's Westminster Hour. They will cover the launch of a new left-of-Labour party apparently? Jesus wept.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Neil said:

Just heard the trailer for R4's Westminster Hour. They will cover the launch of a new left-of-Labour party apparently? Jesus wept.

b@BBCWestminHour: And we report on plans for new left wing group in British politics - will @LeftUnityUK make bigger impact than predecessors? @BBCRadio4 10pm
  • Options
    Neil said:

Could there be just enough space for a UKIP of the left?
    That would be fun.

• Options
    Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

Perhaps not.
    Their website suggests that is Ken Loach and a couple of mates.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

You vastly overestimate the organisational abilities of these people. The only thing they will agree on is that every other group involved is trying to infiltrate the national executive. And they'll be right. How many times have we been here before? The irony (from my biased pov of course) being that there is a left-of-Labour party already out there and they've been making slow, steady, non-sectarian progress for about 15 years now.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    surbiton said:

LOL! I checked his register of interests on the council website. He works for Lloyds Banking Group

surbiton said:

But cannot bring himself to call his work as a banker ! What is he ashamed of ?
    He appears to work in their Corporate Affairs Division - sounds like he may be a company lobbyist/'external affairs' person. So not really a banker. Who cares anyway?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

You vastly overestimate the organisational abilities of these people. The only thing they will agree on is that every other group involved is trying to infiltrate the national executive. And they'll be right. How many times have we been here before? The irony (from my biased pov of course) being that there is a left-of-Labour party already out there and they've been making slow, steady, non-sectarian progress for about 15 years now.
    Indeed - although why you are in it given your right wing views on many issues is a mystery to many of us on here!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    To me this says so much about left-of-Labour intiatives. It represents their glory and futility (though it doesnt touch on the bitter sectarianism which is also a key feature of any such movement). I give you the left-of-Labour poetry collection:

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php/site/blog_comments/call_for_submissions_nlp_poetry_collection
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The interesting thing for me is that PB lefties do not care that their party is crooked.

They just want to win at all costs - even if nefarious means are used.

Enlightening. ..

Er! And the PB righties are pure, sweet, innocents? Er! Now let me see.....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

Indeed - although why you are in it given your right wing views on many issues is a mystery to many of us on here!
    What are Neil's right-wing views?

He is pb's resident contrarian.

And peerless at it.

He also likes cocktails.

A super hero.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

30 years too late
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

You have as much knowledge of my views on political issues as you have of other posters' gender and age. I appreciate the interest but it's entirely misplaced.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe it would be worth putting a very long-term bet on Ranil Jayawardena becoming prime minister one day. He's certainly going to be Tory MP for NE Hampshire for a very long time, if he so wishes.
  • Options
    Neil said:

corporeal said:

Are you basing the non-effect of the referendum on any reasoning you'd care to share?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    TGOHF said:

The interesting thing for me is that PB lefties do not care that their party is crooked.

They just want to win at all costs - even if nefarious means are used.

Enlightening. ..

Fair comment.

Remember back to the time of Damian McBride and "Redrag" - with the odd exception it was "very quiet over there".
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Neil said:

corporeal said:

Are you basing the non-effect of the referendum on any reasoning you'd care to share?
    I think the referendum result could have an impact on the 2015 GE. It's just that I think the SLDs will be slaughtered either way. If the SNP is impacted negatively by a loss in 2014 (I'm not sure they will be as much as others sometimes suggest) then maybe the SLDs will hold on to more seats than otherwise (NE Fife for example) but either way the election results and polling we've had since 2010 have showed the SLDs are going to take a massive hit in 2015 and the only question is how bad will it be.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

So a Sinhalese effectively becomes a Tory MP. To be welcomed by both Cameron and Rajapaksa !

Will he be the first MP of Sinhalese origin ?
    It would take a 28.2% swing to UKIP to deny him that privilege.
    Nirj Deva was MP for Brentford & Isleworth from 1992 to 1997, although I'm not sure whether he was Sinhalese or Tamil.

Labour selected a Tamil-heritage candidate for Harrow East yesterday in the shape of Uma Kumaran, so two Sri Lankan heritage candidates selected in as many days, from opposite sides of the ethnic divide.
  • Options
    Patronymics/matronymics are the origin of many surnames: Johnson, Williamson, but also the Welsh Jones and Williams, the Russian Abrohamovic and the Arabic Ben/Bin, though Arabic also has the formation Abu- meaning father of.

Patronymics have fossilized in England into Surnames, but remain in their original form in some cultures.

Er, in Iceland people don't really have surnames, you have a patronymic (or a matronymic, if that's your preference). For example, President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson should be referred to as Ólafur, not as Mr Grímsson, which is something British news media consistently get wrong.
  • Options
    The first ever state visit to the UK by an Irish head of state will happen next April:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1117/487254-michael-d-higgins-queen-elizabeth/
  • Options
    tim said:

@hendopolis: TELEGRAPH: Tory blow as tycoon gives UKIP millions #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers http://t.co/m4YNbk115a

Who is it?

Someone with more money than sense.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

tim said:

Strange how the Cameron fans are silent on the "lack of a post war plan"

@iainoverton: A violent weekend in Libya: 43 people dead & 460+ wounded http://t.co/susKGo0omT

Very different circumstances. Libya comprised urgent reactive strikes, whilst Afghanistan and Iraq had full invasions after months, if not years, of planning.
    Iraq and planning in same sentence?

doesn't seem right.

The only real planning Labour did was on how to present their lie.

Who would have thought it, Labour a neo cons bi***
  • Options
    If Nick Clegg really wants to help hard-working people why is he pressing for an increase in the income tax threshold rather than the National Insurance threshold given that the latter tax is only levied on earned income rather than all income?
  • Options
    I agree, particularly as the threshold for NI is well below the threshold for income tax.
    Neil said:

If Nick Clegg really wants to help hard-working people why is he pressing for an increase in the income tax threshold rather than the National Insurance threshold given that the latter tax is only levied on earned income rather than all income?

• Options
    Maybe the Paul Sykes donation to UKIP will prompt the other parties to agree a maximum gift level.
  • Options
    Neil said:

tim said:

@hendopolis: TELEGRAPH: Tory blow as tycoon gives UKIP millions #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers http://t.co/m4YNbk115a

Who is it?

Someone with more money than sense.
    A completely ridiculous move. Ukip are going nowhere fast.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I agree, particularly as the threshold for NI is well below the threshold for income tax.

Neil said:

And there are probably hundreds of thousands of very low paid people who wont benefit from an IT threshold rise (because they are already below it) but who would benefit from a rise in the employee (and self-employed) NI threshold.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    Floater said:

tim said:

Strange how the Cameron fans are silent on the "lack of a post war plan"

@iainoverton: A violent weekend in Libya: 43 people dead & 460+ wounded http://t.co/susKGo0omT

Very different circumstances. Libya comprised urgent reactive strikes, whilst Afghanistan and Iraq had full invasions after months, if not years, of planning.
    Iraq and planning in same sentence?

doesn't seem right.

The only real planning Labour did was on how to present their lie.

Who would have thought it, Labour a neo cons bi***
    I disagree. The military planning for the invasions went very well, in both cases.

What went wrong was the political planning for the aftermath. Or lack thereof.
  • Options

Patronymics/matronymics are the origin of many surnames: Johnson, Williamson, but also the Welsh Jones and Williams, the Russian Abrohamovic and the Arabic Ben/Bin, though Arabic also has the formation Abu- meaning father of.

Patronymics have fossilized in England into Surnames, but remain in their original form in some cultures.

On the Welsh note, the traditional Welsh formulation was Ap/Ab (Llywelyn ap Gruffudd would be Llywelyn the son of Gruffudd) which got corrupted into a lot of surnames. Price coming out of Ap Rhys, and Bowen out of Ab Owen, etc.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Neil said:

Respect 2.1. Was the name Galloway mentioned in passing ?
  • Options
    The new left group's name will be Left Unity. In some trade union circles similar groupings have had their names contracted to Lunity.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Neil said:

Respect 2.1. Was the name Galloway mentioned in passing ?
    I think Galloway would be kept a decent barge-pole's length from any such enterprise.
  • Options
    #Neil

The Lab shortlist of Brent Central is
    Butler
    Sabina Khan (a businesswoman whose best selling point is probably not being Butler)
    a Dr former Army Officer (the one at the top http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iDeOMa-JWxE/UmrkQkNipuI/AAAAAAAAIII/ezJOf9QWmKU/s1600/Sundar.jpg)
    a local Cllr working for a bank (but backed by GMB)
    Dhanda, the former MP from Gloucester

All BME. Not afro-carribbean black men though.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406
    edited November 2013

Maybe the Paul Sykes donation to UKIP will prompt the other parties to agree a maximum gift level.

LOL. Yep that would be typical. As long as they are benefiting the big parties do nothing about donations even if their money is coming from crooked sources.

But as soon as one of the smaller parties starts to benefit they all start trying to bring in rules to stop it.

I would not be surprised if it happened as it just about sums up the hypocrisy of the three main parties.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,788
    Didn't Paul Sykes bankroll Veritas, after he fell out with UKIP about 8 years ago?
  • Options
    @Andrea

A bit embarrassing for McNulty not to even get shortlisted but hardly a surprise. One of their more interesting selections and surely a Lab gain in 2015. Is Lembit still in the race for the Lib Dem nomination or have the weeded out the no-hopers yet?
  • Options

I would not be surprised if it happened as it just about sums up the hypocrisy of the three main parties.

They would be doing the right thing even if you suspect it was for the wrong reasons (I doubt it would be as the main parties still pull in far more than UKIP will). The guy has stated he wants to donate whatever it takes to allow UKIP to win next year. What better reason could there be to ban this practice than to point out that it shouldnt be possible to donate enough money to allow a party to win an election like this.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Because NI is widely believed to fund the NHS, pensions and the welfare state generally.

It is therefore assumed to be a 'good thing' and cuts to it are therefore a 'bad thing'.

Whereas income tax being called a tax is assumed to be a 'bad thing' and cuts to it are therefore a 'good thing'.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081
    edited November 2013
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

So a Sinhalese effectively becomes a Tory MP. To be welcomed by both Cameron and Rajapaksa !

Will he be the first MP of Sinhalese origin ?
    It would take a 28.2% swing to UKIP to deny him that privilege.
    Nirj Deva was MP for Brentford & Isleworth from 1992 to 1997, although I'm not sure whether he was Sinhalese or Tamil.

Labour selected a Tamil-heritage candidate for Harrow East yesterday in the shape of Uma Kumaran, so two Sri Lankan heritage candidates selected in as many days, from opposite sides of the ethnic divide.
    Deva is actually of Indian (Rajasthani) descent who was born in Colombo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirj_Deva
  • Options
    For those worried by the aging ti!mebomb, I bring you good news: we are getting younger and have a dependency rate that will be lower than 60 years ago, if you use accurate measures.

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6598
  • Options

Neil said:

Because NI is widely believed to fund the NHS, pensions and the welfare state generally.

It is therefore assumed to be a 'good thing' and cuts to it are therefore a 'bad thing'.

Whereas income tax being called a tax is assumed to be a 'bad thing' and cuts to it are therefore a 'good thing'.
    And because every penny they spend increasing the employee NI threshold is a penny that doesnt contribute towards the "we raised IT threshold to x per annum" election posters. Policy making by politicians, it isnt always pretty.
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    In an article from 9 months ago?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

They already tried it with the Greens who are to the left of the official Labour party. Though they got one seat in parliament, since then it's been downhill all the way. Epic fail.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:
    Pretty pathetic article and even more pathetic comments. Did Cam just misspeak deficit for debt?

• Options

MikeK said:

Yeh, so what? The man makes lying his trade mark. They should put him in a film: "Carry on lying".
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Neil said:
    Do you know what the outcome was? Was Cameron adjudged to be a liar?

• Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Yeh, so what? The man makes lying his trade mark. They should put him in a film: "Carry on lying".
    You wrote "again" - how can a 9 month old story be "again"? Not Cameron lying here....,..
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

You wrote "again" - how can a 9 month old story be "again"? Not Cameron lying here....,..
    Carlotta, you may remember pastygate the day that Cammo claimed to have eaten a pasty from a shop that no longer existed. Well, he hasn't stopped, shall we say, stretching the truth to all and sundry.
  • Options
    Oh look! It's Dan Hodges the Guardian:

Signatures were faked during Falkirk selection process, says report
    Note taken by Unite officials claims Labour leadership was 'well aware of Unite's political strategy activities in Falkirk'

The allegations are likely to intensify the calls for the Labour party to reopen the inquiry into claims that Unite improperly used a scheme to encourage trade unionists to join the Labour party to boost supporters during the selection process in Falkirk. Labour abandoned the enquiry after evidence was withdrawn by two key witnesses.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/17/falkirk-signatures-faked-selection-unite
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    MikeK said:

Though they got one seat in parliament, since then it's been downhill all the way. Epic fail.

Since the Green's Westminster breakthrough in 2010 they have: (1) increased the number of Cllrs at local authority level (2) maintained the number of MSPs (different party admittedly) (3) retained their seat in Stormont (again a different party) (4) generally improved poll ratings (though at the levels registered it's always difficult to take these too seriously) (5) aim to increase representation in Brussels next year.

That doesnt seem to me to be a particularly downhill trajectory. Just more of the solid progress that has been going on for 15 years and produced a breakthrough in Westminster that UKIP show few signs of being able to replicate.
  • Options
    @MikeK - all politicians "add artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative" - I haven't seen evidence that Cameron is noticeably worse (or better) than others.....the debt/deficit one was particularly egregious and he was rightly called out on it.....
  • Options
    Neil said:

MikeK said:

Though they got one seat in parliament, since then it's been downhill all the way. Epic fail.

Since the Green's Westminster breakthrough in 2010 they have: (1) increased the number of Cllrs at local authority level (2) maintained the number of MSPs (different party admittedly) (3) retained their seat in Stormont (again a different party) (4) generally improved poll ratings (though at the levels registered it's always difficult to take these too seriously) (5) aim to increase representation in Brussels next year.

That doesnt seem to me to be a particularly downhill trajectory. Just more of the solid progress that has been going on for 15 years and produced a breakthrough in Westminster that UKIP show few signs of being able to replicate.
    UKIP have, by a very very long way (and second place is the Referendum party of '97) got more votes than any other party at a GE without winning a seat.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Fat_Steve said:

Neil said:

That would be fun.

They already tried it with the Greens who are to the left of the official Labour party. Though they got one seat in parliament, since then it's been downhill all the way. Epic fail.
    That's a lie, as proved by Neil. You need to be careful, you'll get films made about you called carry on lying.

• Options
    Neil said:

MikeK said:

I'd add two other factors - there is a well established "Green" movement in a Europe, which I presume the UK parties engage with - somethíng Farage will not do (and good for him) with the Le Pens of Europe, and the Green world view also seems a bit more developed than the (effectively) single issue of UKIP - which is really immigration.
  • Options
    Bachelet leads the first round in Chile, 46% to Minera's 25%. But she has not reached the 50% required to avoid a second round
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24977405
This discussion has been closed.