Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the Lib Dem conference defection speculation goe

2»

Comments

• Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Ah, that tweet from ColinW. Gone from here many moons ago but still fondly remembered. His mum too.

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Remind me why we were all obsessed with "Colin's Mum". I have clean forgotten.
    Well, someone had to keep him under (semi) control. Not unlike your not self.
    I wish I'd had the guts to comment during the SeanT era. I would often find myself convulsed with laughter at the great man's bibulous sallies, to the point of orgasm. I really wish I'd gotten to know him, maybe even become his friend.

Instead I just sat there, in my patterned summer dress, admiring him from afar. Oh well. Too late now.
    You've fair come oot yer shell. Congrats.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,862
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Riiiiight...ten day blitz on what? Can't be cannabis, not strong enough.
    ICYMI

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1172551409511882752
    Shit the bed, will you stop with the man crush on Dave? It was mildly interesting the first time you posted it, but what's this. 3rd? 4th? Accept it, your man is a has been. It's over.
    Cameron delivered you the referendum which allowed you to vote to get out of the EU. You should be sucking his dick. Metaphorically.
    Yep, Cameron is the arse that gave them what they want. That's why they hate him. They now have to back up their saloon bar bragging with some action. The smell of stale sweat, of fear, of soiled trousers is overwhelming...
  • Options
    Noo said:

@StuartDickson, you'll like this.
    I heard someone talking about Richard Leonard the other day. Someone with no connection to Scotland, I should add, city dweller.

"I'm really surprised he hasn't done better. The SNP were shitting themselves when he became leader, weren't they?"

It got me thinking about who in Labour the SNP might scared of. I didn't come up with any answers. Perhaps Corbyn a few years ago, but not now. Starmer, maybe?

- “The SNP were shitting themselves when he became leader, weren't they?”

Pissing ourselves with laughter, yes. Shitting ourselves? No. That the person has no connection with Scotland is painfully obvious.

I dont think we were ever “scared” of Labour, even in their glory days when they were nearly 50%. Angry with them. Bewildered. Irritated. Provoked. Yes. But scared? Never.

SLab’s lies and deception were always far too obvious to create fear. They were just a bit too thick. Those people deserve pity.

There are one or two Unionists who I respect, but I’m not scared of any of them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Shit the bed, will you stop with the man crush on Dave? It was mildly interesting the first time you posted it, but what's this. 3rd? 4th? Accept it, your man is a has been. It's over.
    It is the second time I posted it because the poster I tagged it in originally was around and was around now. I knew it would amuse him because of love of Michael Gove.

The rest of your post is as impressive as numeracy.
    I thought it was twice on the last thread. My bad, maybe. I forgot you're the PB golden child, I should be honoured you even acknowledge me.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,926
    Owen Who was on Newsnight a few minuites ago. :D
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    A lot of angry people on PB tonight.

Do we reflect the national mood?

Hmm....
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    GIN1138 said:

Owen Who was on Newsnight a few minuites ago. :D

Francois Hollande's less successful twin?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Hmm....

"Don't be so dramatic, darling!" :)
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Hmm....

If PB is a virtual pub, it's time to step outside.

Oi! are you looking at my polls!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Hmm....

You've just spilled my Alternative Vote.

Or something.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

Hmm....

To be fair, you could use that analogy to describe a lot of the country now so maybe it does reflect the national mood.

For example, Mark Francois is at the shirt off and fists up phase of a pub brawl.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Cameron delivered you the referendum which allowed you to vote to get out of the EU. You should be sucking his dick. Metaphorically.
    Yep, Cameron is the arse that gave them what they want. That's why they hate him. They now have to back up their saloon bar bragging with some action. The smell of stale sweat, of fear, of soiled trousers is overwhelming...
    I genuinely think that is out of order. For me, the EU was never a big thing. I wasn't a great fan, but even Alistair Meeks doesn't really like the EU that much, he just thinks we're better off in it. I'm not keen on the political aspect of it, but the rest is pretty good. Cameron played Billy Big Bollocks and gave us a choice. Call me naive, but I expected there to be a plan, as Dave was really good at this shit. Allegedly. He wasn't. It's gone wrong. Do I regret my vote? Yes, undoubtedly, but not because the idea of being outside the EU is necessarily a bad thought.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167
    Byronic said:

Hmm....

Only from the PB Tories.

Only on PB.
  • Options
    Best prices - No Deal Brexit?

No 1/4
    Yes 9/2
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

I genuinely think that is out of order. For me, the EU was never a big thing. I wasn't a great fan, but even Alistair Meeks doesn't really like the EU that much, he just thinks we're better off in it. I'm not keen on the political aspect of it, but the rest is pretty good. Cameron played Billy Big Bollocks and gave us a choice. Call me naive, but I expected there to be a plan, as Dave was really good at this shit. Allegedly. He wasn't. It's gone wrong. Do I regret my vote? Yes, undoubtedly, but not because the idea of being outside the EU is necessarily a bad thought.
    Well said.

When it came to it, Cameron was like a ditzy teenage girl. No idea, no plan, no strategy, no grasp, no nothing. There's nothing inside him. He doesn't do strategy, he doesn't have big ideas. And he has no firm principles except a very vague leftish Toryism: be nice about the queen, taxes might be a bit lower, errr...

That might have been OK in a time of peace and concord. Allied with his breezy, moronic, misplaced Etonian "self-confidence", it was apocalyptic when we arrived at a crisis like Brexit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Apologies, I may have missed something earlier.

My contempt is for the Leavers who ran the campaigns, not the ordinary folk who were taken in by their grandiose promises. Prior to the referendum I was not particularly pro EU. It is what I have seen of the Brexiteers that has made me side with their enemies.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If I were a member of the Labour Party in Canterbury I'd be pretty annoyed if the first Labour MP for the seat ever decided to defect to the LDs within a couple of years of being elected. All speculation of course.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    edited September 2019

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Thing is, I'm a grunt. Infantry. Pleb. Foot soldier. Aren't super clever generals supposed to have a plan? Sheer brilliance honed on the playing fields of Eton that scum like me implement on the Battle field? Dave dripped his get the Tories out of jail plan in my ear, I voted accordingly. I don't run the country, I just live here
    Anyway, before I went veggie to help my wife stock up on good stuff before she has chemo, I used to love the taste of pork, so Dave's cock would be right up my street.
    I have huge sympathy for your wife's condition. But as regards the EU referendum you need to man up and take responsibility.

The big boys made me do it doesn't cut it. I was literally the PBI but I don't bitch and moan that they made me do this or that. I have agency. As do you. Own your decision. No one but Dave was promising you the opportunity to vote to leave the EU. He gave you that and you voted. You should be ecstatic. On that front.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Ah, that tweet from ColinW. Gone from here many moons ago but still fondly remembered. His mum too.

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

I wish I'd had the guts to comment during the SeanT era. I would often find myself convulsed with laughter at the great man's bibulous sallies, to the point of orgasm. I really wish I'd gotten to know him, maybe even become his friend.

Instead I just sat there, in my patterned summer dress, admiring him from afar. Oh well. Too late now.
    He was a strikingly modest man, always ready with a cheery admission of defeat whenever I bested him in an argument (a virtually daily occurrence).
  • Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Is it, now?

Is it not conceivable that there will come a day that will see "the return of the Sean" ?

I for one would pay good money to read a frank exchange of views between Byronic and SeanT on a controversial topic, let's say Brexit.
    I can well imagine such an event to ignite a dynamic, dialectic process that might ultimately lead towards the key to a solution for all the Brexit conundrums.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

When it came to it, Cameron was like a ditzy teenage girl. No idea, no plan, no strategy, no grasp, no nothing. There's nothing inside him. He doesn't do strategy, he doesn't have big ideas. And he has no firm principles except a very vague leftish Toryism: be nice about the queen, taxes might be a bit lower, errr...

That might have been OK in a time of peace and concord. Allied with his breezy, moronic, misplaced Etonian "self-confidence", it was apocalyptic when we arrived at a crisis like Brexit.
    Yeah good point what sort of a fucking moron would then vote to leave the EU knowing all that, eh?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Apart from his historically unprecedented shite decision on calling the fucking insane European referendum, he was tolerable, at least by Tory standards.

He was pro-business and at least tried to run the country in a vaguely sensible way, with the needs of people and companies at heart.

Compared to the odious clown Boris, he’s a statesman.
  • Options

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Is it, now?

Is it not conceivable that there will come a day that will see "the return of the Sean" ?

I for one would pay good money to read a frank exchange of views between Byronic and SeanT on a controversial topic, let's say Brexit.
    I can well imagine such an event to ignite a dynamic, dialectic process that might ultimately lead towards the key to a solution for all the Brexit conundrums.
    Well, we do know that Byronic is a Remainer, of great wit and sagicity, while SeanT was a tiresome old roue, as floppy as a drunk in a post No Deal viagra famine.

So we may be disappointed by such a fantasy dinner party.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    AndyJS said:

If I were a member of the Labour Party in Canterbury I'd be pretty annoyed if the first Labour MP for the seat ever decided to defect to the LDs within a couple of years of being elected. All speculation of course.

I am still wondering about Diana Johnson.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

He was a strikingly modest man, always ready with a cheery admission of defeat whenever I bested him in an argument (a virtually daily occurrence).
    Bravo. I cannot imagine besting an intellect like that. I can barely imagine conversing with one, in any way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Yes, he was exceptionally humble, to the point where one wondered whether he was lacking a backbone.

‘Soft’ and ‘wet’ were words many people associated with him. In the end, I think he was happy to concede all his opponents were right, and he was deeply wrong.

Poignant.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Apart from his historically unprecedented shite decision on calling the fucking insane European referendum, he was tolerable, at least by Tory standards.

He was pro-business and at least tried to run the country in a vaguely sensible way, with the needs of people and companies at heart.

Give over! You never had a good word to say about him between 2010 and 2016. :D
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Thing is, I'm a grunt. Infantry. Pleb. Foot soldier. Aren't super clever generals supposed to have a plan? Sheer brilliance honed on the playing fields of Eton that scum like me implement on the Battle field? Dave dripped his get the Tories out of jail plan in my ear, I voted accordingly. I don't run the country, I just live here
    Anyway, before I went veggie to help my wife stock up on good stuff before she has chemo, I used to love the taste of pork, so Dave's cock would be right up my street.
    I have huge sympathy for your wife's condition. But as regards the EU referendum you need to man up and take responsibility.

The big boys made me do it doesn't cut it. I was literally the PBI but I don't bitch and moan that they made me do this or that. I have agency. As do you. Own your decision. No one but Dave was promising you the opportunity to vote to leave the EU. He gave you that and you voted. You should be ecstatic. On that front.
    I absolutely own my vote. The caveat is that I expect my government to be competent. Neither Dave nor the ones since have been that. I honestly thought there would be a plan for whatever outcome. If I'd known I was only allowed to vote as part of Dave's plan to unite the Tories together, I'd have voted differently. Dave owns all that. I'm guilty of stupendous naivety, but Dave is guilty of far worse.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Yes, he was exceptionally humble, to the point where one wondered whether he was lacking a backbone.

‘Soft’ and ‘wet’ were words many people associated with him. In the end, I think he was happy to concede all his opponents were right, and he was deeply wrong.

Poignant.
    Though I was a mere lurker, I fondly remember the time he slept with six women in one weekend, and refused to discuss it, until we all badgered him for details.

Likewise when he won that EU prize for his charity work in wartime Syria.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Someone on here pointed out that he didn't have any ideas beyond the generic ones of the people he mixed with. I thought it was very accurate.
  • Options
    Cameron accuses Johnson of 'sharp practice'. Wow. That is pretty high up in the insults of old etonians.
  • Options
    Cameron comes across as another totally out of touch remainer who besides being a bad loser was wholly incompetent in not permitting any planning for a Leave win in the referendum.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Someone on here pointed out that he didn't have any ideas beyond the generic ones of the people he mixed with. I thought it was very accurate.
    Yes, that's sharp.

I happen to know, very well, the people he mixes with. So I can likewise assert that this is true.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

I absolutely own my vote. The caveat is that I expect my government to be competent. Neither Dave nor the ones since have been that. I honestly thought there would be a plan for whatever outcome. If I'd known I was only allowed to vote as part of Dave's plan to unite the Tories together, I'd have voted differently. Dave owns all that. I'm guilty of stupendous naivety, but Dave is guilty of far worse.
    Dave is not to blame for the delivering the referendum that a significant proportion of the population had been calling for decades. The lack of delivery merely exposes the vacuity of those that had been calling for it. Exposing those charlatans is proving an expensive lesson for the country.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Give over! You never had a good word to say about him between 2010 and 2016. :D
    Nor now. I simply say he was tolerable. And a statesman compared to Boris. But that is the lowest of bars.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited September 2019
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Utter bollocks, he spent hundreds of hours sleeping on the floors of NHS hospitals. He is not some toff who only hung around other toffs.

He got to know what the average family who relied on the NHS wanted, that's why he put things like the NHS and Education reforms at the centrepiece of his government when he became PM.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Dave nice but Dim?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

Cameron's quotes about Gove and Boris would be terrible news in normal times. Now it just feels like he's late to the party. Gove and Boris "left the truth at home"? Well, duh. So what are you doing about it then, Davey? "I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it."

Great. Thanks for everything, Davey.

Most people will think it's sour grapes from Dave I suspect.

With Gove he seemed to think the fact they were friends meant Gove should have some sort of loyalty to him.

And with Boris its striking that he thought he could buy him off with a seat in the Cabinet.

And all of the whining about how the leave campaign was conducted looks pretty pathetic when you remember Cameron's NO2AV campaign and the 2015 general election.

Cameron is just bitter that he lost.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

In the scenario analysis of what might happen post vote our current situation must have been close to a central premise.

It wasn't just hit and hope I'm sure.
  • Options

Cameron comes across as another totally out of touch remainer who besides being a bad loser was wholly incompetent in not permitting any planning for a Leave win in the referendum.
    Did he actually forbid any planning for a Leave vote???

If that is true, this man, who ranks with the skunk in my estimation, has just gone to par with a cockroach. Extraordinary. Almost criminally negligent. IF that is true.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Poignant.
    Though I was a mere lurker, I fondly remember the time he slept with six women in one weekend, and refused to discuss it, until we all badgered him for details.

Likewise when he won that EU prize for his charity work in wartime Syria.

Wasn’t he GQ Man of the Year at some point?

Or was that Sean Bean?

Or Sean Fear?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

If that is true, this man, who ranks with the skunk in my estimation, has just gone to par with a cockroach. Extraordinary. Almost criminally negligent. IF that is true.
    Why, with all the insight you have about him, is this a surprise?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Are we talking of Cameron or SeanT now?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Ideas are massively overrated in politics.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Fake news, he asked the civil service to start making plans, but they couldn't reconcile the contradictory Leave promises.

You know all those contradictions that are buggering up Brexit now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Gabs2 said:

That's an interesting comment, and probably applicable to a lot of political people (including me, maybe). There are detail people around who really burrow into the material and come up with ideas (Frank Field is a classic example, though also a classic example of someone uninterested in the art of persuasion - he feels the results should speak for themselves). On the Labour side, McDonnell is probably the most creative and interested in new ideas (not all of them obviously sound). But most senior figures on both sides do go on a general feeling of what's right and rely on others to do the detailed thinking.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Thing is, Dave's cock would be right up my street.

In the scenario analysis of what might happen post vote our current situation must have been close to a central premise.

It wasn't just hit and hope I'm sure.
    So why did Dave casually allow this referendum, why didn't he allow planning for Leave, why wasn't there a royal commission or citizens' assembly beforehand, why didn't he make both sides lay out plans, why why why why

I'll tell you why. Because he is a silly vain man who believed he'd be "good at being prime minister" just because of his birth and schooling, and therefore felt no need to revise like a proletarian swot, because the essay crisis Etonian would always win through.

Turned out well for Dave "referendum" Cameron, huh.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I reckon it's so Mr Byronic. After the Sindy Ref I think he was so consumed with his own greatness that it never occurred to him that remain might lose until a couple of days before the referendum. Then, we were subjected to his bonkers speech outside no 10.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Yes, that's sharp.

I happen to know, very well, the people he mixes with. So I can likewise assert that this is true.
    The Notting Hill Set.
  • Options
    Theory: Britain is testing to utter exhaustion the idea that Eton "makes good prime ministers".

Unless Boris can save the day in the most heroic way, we won't have another Etonian as premier til the heat death of the universe.

Oxford might take a bit of a pasting, reputationally, as well.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

Should Johnson still be 1/5 to hold Uxbridge and South Ruislip if he has to face a One Nation Tory?

Con 1/5
    Lab 6/1
    LD 12/1
    Bxp 20/1
    Ind Tory not priced, yet

(Shadsy)

Ooh a 110% book with a leading contender not priced up... how tempting!!!
  • Options

Best prices - No Deal Brexit?

No 1/4
    Yes 9/2

That’s more like it!
  • Options

Sympathies and the very best wishes for your wife's treatment.

On this point, I think it bears out the Swiss approach of only putting issues to a vote if a significant part of Parliament has worked out a solid basis for it, so that whoever wins the vote can count on a bloc of MPs who are ready to put forward how to implement it. The EU referendum was chucked at people without any expectation that they'd vote Leave, since when nearly everyone has been going oo-er, what do we do now.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Fake news, he asked the civil service to start making plans, but they couldn't reconcile the contradictory Leave promises.

I know a civil servant who worked at the time of the referendum. They say when people advised Cameron that Leave looked like winning and they should prepare for it, he just laughed.
  • Options

Byronic said:

I reckon it's so Mr Byronic. After the Sindy Ref I think he was so consumed with his own greatness that it never occurred to him that remain might lose until a couple of days before the referendum. Then, we were subjected to his bonkers speech outside no 10.

Yes, that's bang on, I believe.

Even worse Cameron somehow forgot that he nearly LOST Sindyref, despite starting 30 points ahead (a memory that might have echoed in a sharper brain, but not his). Recall his tearful speech about the Union, begging Scots to say No, a few days before the vote. Just a shame HE didn't recall it, when contemplating his Brexit plebiscite.

Cameron was a total failure.
  • Options
    Looking forward to Peter Hitchen's response to this.

"I was 'off my head' on dope at Eton College, says David Cameron as he admits smoking cannabis with his wife Samantha"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7462163/I-head-dope-Eton-College-says-David-Cameron.html
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Theory: Britain is testing to utter exhaustion the idea that Eton "makes good prime ministers".

Unless Boris can save the day in the most heroic way, we won't have another Etonian as premier til the heat death of the universe.

Well, certainly the next PM wont have been to Eton. But Rory in late 2020s?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

I ha
    Dave is not to blame for the delivering the referendum that a significant proportion of the population had been calling for decades. The lack of delivery merely exposes the vacuity of those that had been calling for it. Exposing those charlatans is proving an expensive lesson for the country.
    That's the key problem, isn't it? I dunno the figures, but I expect that the majority of the population pre 2014ish didn't really give a flying feck about the EU one way or the other. I certainly didn't, aside from thinking that the political side was a bit wank. Dave thought a referendum was the way forward to unite his party and didn't really understand what he was unleashing. I naively thought that government had the answers. I was wrong.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

Utter bollocks, he spent hundreds of hours sleeping on the floors of NHS hospitals. He is not some toff who only hung around other toffs.

He got to know what the average family who relied on the NHS wanted, that's why he put things like the NHS and Education reforms at the centrepiece of his government when he became PM.
    He slept on the floor? I got a camp bed.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The FT report on Johnson's push for a deal seems to chime with the mood music, and it's possible that there is actually a coherent political plan:

1. Convince everyone that No Deal is imminent.
    2. Allow alarm and despondency to spread.
    3. Throw out Remainers ruthlessly.
    4. Then propose a deal, and threaten to turn on hard Leavers just as ruthlessly.
    5. People thank Johnson brokenly for saving them from the terrors of No Deal.
    5. He wins an election.

What I can't work out is what the deal would actually be that doesn't blatantly contradict stated Government policy. But perhaps that's not seen as a problem.

Contradicting policy is not the problem. The problem would be winning a majority on that prospectus when BXP and ERG inclined Tories (as if there is a difference) don't vote for Boris because the deal is a betrayal. Even if the ERG kowtow to Boris after he declares he'll kick them out (a £20 donation from me to PB if any of the ERG Spartans is ever kicked out), that won't stop those who like them backing BXP, and them getting, say, 10%, enough to hurt them bad.
    Yes, well, I said I could see it was (maybe) a plan, not necessarily a winning plan when he gets to point 5. From the Labour viewpoint I see certain attractions, for the reasons you say.
  • Options

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

I ha
    That's the key problem, isn't it? I dunno the figures, but I expect that the majority of the population pre 2014ish didn't really give a flying feck about the EU one way or the other. I certainly didn't, aside from thinking that the political side was a bit wank. Dave thought a referendum was the way forward to unite his party and didn't really understand what he was unleashing. I naively thought that government had the answers. I was wrong.
    Messed up the block quote, sorry.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Noo said:

Cameron's quotes about Gove and Boris would be terrible news in normal times. Now it just feels like he's late to the party. Gove and Boris "left the truth at home"? Well, duh. So what are you doing about it then, Davey? "I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it."

Great. Thanks for everything, Davey.

Most people will think it's sour grapes from Dave I suspect.

With Gove he seemed to think the fact they were friends meant Gove should have some sort of loyalty to him.

And with Boris its striking that he thought he could buy him off with a seat in the Cabinet.

And all of the whining about how the leave campaign was conducted looks pretty pathetic when you remember Cameron's NO2AV campaign and the 2015 general election.

Cameron is just bitter that he lost.
    Perhaps for Cameron, loyalty was a one-way street. Gove should be loyal to him, despite the sacking as EdSec that prompted the "wanker" text that TSE keeps posting. Ironically, Gove had joined Osborne in urging Cameron not to hold the referendum in the first place.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"I was 'off my head' on dope at Eton College, says David Cameron as he admits smoking cannabis with his wife Samantha"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7462163/I-head-dope-Eton-College-says-David-Cameron.html

"Morals are for little people as Etonians break the law as if it was a minor inconvenience, as decent Britain sinks into oblivion"

Plus, there are no enough police walking the streets.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

"Morals are for little people as Etonians break the law as if it was a minor inconvenience, as decent Britain sinks into oblivion"

I rewatched Hitchens taking on Matthew Perry on Newsnight earlier this week. Fantastic!
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

I rewatched Hitchens taking on Matthew Perry on Newsnight earlier this week. Fantastic!
    I assume they agreed not to agree!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    No doubt a sherry makes him feel squiffy! Lightweights...
  • Options

isam said:

AndyJS said:

I assume they agreed not to agree!
    Perry’s face! Don’t think he was used to PH’s line of attack

• Options
    isam said:

Byronic said:

I know a civil servant who worked at the time of the referendum. They say when people advised Cameron that Leave looked like winning and they should prepare for it, he just laughed.
    Considering the lack of preparation manifest in the last 3 1/2 years post referendum, when we know we are leaving, the few months before the vote are neither here nor there.

I don't blame the Civil Service, I blame the lack of direction from the party of government. Indeed last weekend I was chatting to one of this a responsible for No Deal preparations. As he pointed out, it isn't really possible to prepare for a car crash, other than by bracing for impact.
  • Options
    I'm watching Bercow give the "Sixth Annual Bingham Lecture" on Parliament TV

Yes, shoot me. PLEEEEZ

But before you shoot me, let it be noted that he is very articulate, and has a particularly fine command of the English language. I suddenly realise I am going to miss him, despite his obnoxious vanity. Odd.
  • Options
    Bercow is arguing that Brexit has revived our parliamentary democracy, and given new vigour to the Commons, by returning importance.

Unexpected.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Can't see that there is "a heroic way" anymore. That cardboard, hand-painted bus left several months ago.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

Can't see that there is "a heroic way" anymore. That cardboard, hand-painted bus left several months ago.
    Boris is quite similar to Cameron in that they both seem to want the job because they think/thought they would be good at it, rather than wanting to change things for the better.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Off his head my arse. I, too, am 52. Unless he was smoking high-grade hash oil, there really wasn't any cannabis product capable of that available in this country when he was at Eton.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Byronic said:

Bercow is arguing that Brexit has revived our parliamentary democracy, and given new vigour to the Commons, by returning importance.

Unexpected.

Bercows job is to enable MPs to hold the Executive to account. I cannot find fault with his actions given the way Government has conducted itself over the years. Tories don't like him because of the way he obtained the speakership, they individually dislike him or they are so commited to supporting the Tories any enabler of critism becomes a hate figure. I think he is a good speaker, who has initiated changes to the way parliament works for the better.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Unexpected.

Lots of people have been making assumptions about Bercow's politics. The data points we have are loony-right young Tory, lefty wife with a bollocks-to-brexit bumper sticker, bends the Commons rules to help parliament vs the executive. None of this tells you much about what his current views are, it could be anything.

And if he decides to leverage the British Parliament brand and go to America, get on telly and make some money we may not find out much about what he thinks in his next job either.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

Yes, shoot me. PLEEEEZ

But before you shoot me, let it be noted that he is very articulate, and has a particularly fine command of the English language. I suddenly realise I am going to miss him, despite his obnoxious vanity. Odd.

Love him or hate him, he's an intriguing figure. Monday clubber. Married left-leaning spouse. Vainglorious, bombastic, sometimes deeply thoughtful. Ego the size of a galaxy. Great turn of phrase. Like Tony Benn, a slap down to any who lazily trot out the line you automatically get more right-wing with age. Would have made a wonderful teacher of an unruly class. And genuinely popular on the back benches.
    I think he will be remembered longer than many who reached higher office.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,042

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Is it, now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01mdGW9-Zg
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited September 2019
    Sharon Osbourne derides Jeremy Corbyn as an 'arrogant, ugly f**k' in the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9849498/sharon-osbourne-jeremy-corbyn-who-do-you-think-you-are/
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Eton produced Gladstone and Macmillan as well as Eden and Cameron with the jury still out on Boris so am sure we will have another Etonian PM at some point.

After all since 2000 we have had 2 PMs who went to Eton, while Blair went to Fettes, the Scottish Eton.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Those are pretty strong numbers for Trump compared to everything else we've been seeing, but has anyone heard of Firehouse Strategies before?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Looks like Biden beats Trump in the Electoral College leading him in the 3 key must win swing states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania at the moment but Trump could beat Warren and Sanders as he leads them in Michigan even though they beat him in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Those are pretty strong numbers for Trump compared to everything else we've been seeing, but has anyone heard of Firehouse Strategies before?
    They have been polling for a while now
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Looks like Biden beats Trump in the Electoral College leading him in the 3 key must win swing states of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania at the moment but Trump could beat Warren and Sanders as he leads them in Michigan even though they beat him in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
    IMO Trump can't be ruled out some in states Clinton won last time like Maine, New Hampshire, Nevada.
  • Options
    Cameron was famously chameleon-like as a politician. He shape-shifted from ‘Hug-a-Husky’ Opposition leader to a PM who condemned ‘green crap’. He spent years slagging the EU, then belatedly tried to trumpet its membership. He pledged to match Labour on public spending, then instituted what turned into a decade of austerity.

Yet for all his twists and turns, Cameron was never as politically tone deaf as he sounded today. It’s no wonder that many will feel that bad karma has finally found him. But if he is ever to move on from Brexit, he will need to change his tone and his belief system once more. Right now, that seems that’s a change too far.

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/david-cameron-is-not-just-down-hes-in-denial-waugh-zone_uk_5d7bda64e4b077dcbd5d9a5f?0c
  • Options
    Also in the HuffPo article:

Quote Of The Day

“We won’t know unless we waterboard the Corgi.”

– Rory Stewart on LBC on whether the PM lied to the Queen
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

Yes, shoot me. PLEEEEZ

Love him or hate him, he's an intriguing figure. Monday clubber. Married left-leaning spouse. Vainglorious, bombastic, sometimes deeply thoughtful. Ego the size of a galaxy. Great turn of phrase. Like Tony Benn, a slap down to any who lazily trot out the line you automatically get more right-wing with age. Would have made a wonderful teacher of an unruly class. And genuinely popular on the back benches.
    I like him.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Byronic said:

Yes, shoot me. PLEEEEZ

You forgot “bully”.

Thatcher could be a monster to her peers but was kindness, compassion and politeness itself to her subordinates.

Bercow’s staff won’t miss him, those who haven’t left already....
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Well said.

He didn't even fucking read Lansley's massive top down reorganisation of the NHS.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Between Osborne's Evening Standard and Cameron's book, there will not be a shortage of ersatz bog roll if there are shortages of it.
This discussion has been closed.