Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Case of the Missing Documents

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    HYUFD said:

If Mr. Johnson is now to be unseated as leader of the Conservative Party, the question becomes who leads them into the GE and on what platform?

He won't be but if he is Raab or Patel will replace him on an all out war with diehard Remainers ticket, the membership will only vote got someone even more hardline than Boris now, there is utter fury about the die hard Remainers contempt for democracy with members I speak to and a formal alliance with the Brexit Party would be likely too
    Another HY prediction for the collection!!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    CatMan said:

From the BBC News website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

"But the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymieing Parliament", and that he had therefore effectively misled the Queen in advising her to suspend Parliament."

Did they really say he had misled the Queen? Again, it's not in the written summary of the judgment.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Anorak said:
    Johnson's expression in this photo is fantastic.
    It's "oh my god what have I got myself into" and "I did it, I'm the Prime Minister" rolled into one.

(although I suspect that the Photo was taken before he was PM).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The findings in here are simply common sense:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Summary-Miller-v-The-Prime-Minister-1.pdf

It is also impossible for the court to assess by any measurable standard how much time is required to hold the Government to account, including by passing legislation that would require the Prime Minister to take steps to avoid leaving the European Union without an agreement. This is graphically illustrated by the speed with which the European Union (Withdrawal) (No 6) Bill has been enacted. The ability of Parliament to move with speed when it chooses to do so undermines the underlying premise of the case for the claimant that prorogation would deny Parliament the opportunity to do precisely what it has now done. [57]
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution....

The court fully acknowledges that, but went on to rule that the principal purpose of this particular prorogation, on the evidence before it, was to frustrate Parliament.
    That is nonsensical .How do you weigh such motivation and what is the law that says what the principal purpose has to be in any political decision ? SC will have to overturn or every single executive decision will be up to challenge.
    But they already are. You have the right to apply for Judicial Review. As does everyone.
    In very limited circumstances.
    Successfully in very limited circumstances.
    You can apply in a much larger number of circumstances; the court doesn't have to hear the case if they think it without merit.
    You can bring proceedings for most things under the guise of something but if the Court won't hear the case it isn't much use is it?
    The actions of the executive are constrained by an entire body of law that gives it wide latitude but not carte blanche. The courts decided today the line had been overstepped.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Nigelb said:

nico67 said:

If the government doesn’t release the documents asked for in the humble address this will be taken into account by the SC next week .

I think the issue with the judgement today is regardless of where you sit on this matter the UK doesn’t have a written constitution .

Normally a government doesn’t act improperly , we are seeing a clash between convention and the law .

Bozo and his cabal clearly want to trash every convention , let’s think about this .

If there are no restrictions to the power to prorogue effectively a government could shut down the Commons for a year .

Now of course the argument could be politically that would cause lots of problems , the
    public could punish them in a future election however this alone is not reason to not restrict the power to prorogue .

I think this argument is probably the strongest to limit that power .

There is also the question of where you draw the line on limits to that power.
    That is far better done by the judges than at election time where it will be conflated with a thousand other political issues.
    This upcoming case has similarities with the Gina Miller case .

That found that there are limits to the RP . And restricted its use in terms of stripping rights from citizens without MPs voting on it .

This case could see a restriction on that RP to prorogue .
  • Options
    The SC do not need to uphold the Scottish decision- they just need to mention that they find the PM misled the Queen for his position to be untenable- so they can say the prorogation was lawful as the constitution allows it even though the monarch was misled. After that a GONU seems most likely to me.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution....

The court fully acknowledges that, but went on to rule that the principal purpose of this particular prorogation, on the evidence before it, was to frustrate Parliament.
    That is nonsensical .How do you weigh such motivation and what is the law that says what the principal purpose has to be in any political decision ? SC will have to overturn or every single executive decision will be up to challenge.
    But they already are. You have the right to apply for Judicial Review. As does everyone.
    In very limited circumstances.
    Successfully in very limited circumstances.
    You can apply in a much larger number of circumstances; the court doesn't have to hear the case if they think it without merit.
    You can bring proceedings for most things under the guise of something but if the Court won't hear the case it isn't much use is it?
    Quite.
    So it ought to tell you something when courts are prepared to hear a case.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Solution to several issues at once - reconvene the UK parliament in Edinburgh.

Addresses: widespread distaste among voters for Westminster; unlawful prorogation; London-centricity; feeling that Scotland is ruled from 'abroad', issues with the fabric of the Houses of Parliament.... Plus lots more no doubt.

It would certainly be a good idea to rotate it, through all four parts. MPS would have an excuse for a house in each location. In retrospect it would have been far better than devolution which has just given us loads more lightweight politicians.
    Can you name any other country which uses this model? It would be very impractical.
    The usual way around this problem is to have a clearly defined federal sytem, so that it is clear who has responsibility for what.

Decamping the UK government to a town in the middle of the UK, maybe Chesterfield, would be worth considering though. :wink:
    What has Chesterfield done to deserve that fate? ;)
    It's defining feature is crooked.
    On a rather offset tangent, many moons ago I saw a wagon in a Chesterfield factory that had had a massive steel ingot put on it, and it's solebars (frames) were massively bent so it resembled a banana, with its buffers pointing into the air.

ISTR someone actually bought it.

Someone commented that a crooked wagon should perhaps remain within sight of Chesterfield's crooked spire.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Look at the age splits. Farewell Northern Ireland ...
    https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1171736621181526017

Actually even most under 35 Unionists still back staying in the UK.

The split is entirely Unionist Nationalist as always, there is a huge division between the likes of Unionist Protestant Leaver county Antrim and Catholic Remainer Nationalist county Fermanagh and Tyrone
    Yes but any border poll would not differentiate. NI is a single political entity and will vote as such. Even if it did not the traditional Irish Counties were abolished for administrative purposes in the early 1970a.
    You clearly haven't heard about HY's genius plan for an ethnocentric Orangeman 'We Are The People' homeland in the far NE of Ulster?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Now that WOULD be piss funny. "One cannot ignore the advice of one's courts. The Prime Minister can fek orf"
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm I don't think my Scottish ancestry is... quite close enough to get a Scottish passport in the case of independence. I think my mother is though...

Everybody will be welcome and if you want you can get a passport if you live there
    Got to say it would be very tempting if No Deal came to pass. An Independent Scotland would be fast-tracked back into the EU - Euro, Schengen and all - and would storm ahead imo.

I just hope for E&W's sake Brexit can be stopped or kept very soft and a more federal UK can be allowed to develop.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

The SC do not need to uphold the Scottish decision- they just need to mention that they find the PM misled the Queen for his position to be untenable- so they can say the prorogation was lawful as the constitution allows it even though the monarch was misled. After that a GONU seems most likely to me.

I'm not sure they can. What is said between privy council and HMQ is not in the public domain. Hence we cannot know if she was misled or fully aware of all factors
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Observing this government's death is almost getting revolting. It is like watching a medieval execution where the victim is kept alive to see his own organs and entrails slowly removed. The Executive is being slowly executed.

And yet we've just had an opinion poll giving this government a 14% lead which in an election would translate to a majority of nearly 150 seats?
    lol - I very much doubt that will happen. It is the ground game that counts and the opposition parties have a tremendous advantage in numbers, motivation etc...
    OK so the Opposition will get on with it then?
    Parliament will vote for an election, when it suits them not when it is about giving BJ and the nutters around him a No Deal Brexit. The Government has been held to account bt the H of C, long may that continue.
    But you've just basically said all the Opposition have to do is turn up on the day and the election is in the bag?

You can't get a better guarantee that No Deal is off the table than Corbyn in Downing St with a big majority until 2024 at least?
    What was to stop BJ making the GE day 1st November and No Dealing in the meantime. BJ and those around him do not play fair. I say fuck him and only call an election in a few months time when relative stability is ensured. He or his succesor will have got a further extension and a new parliament can be chosen by the people to represent them.
    If the election is in the bag for Labour it doesn't matter if it's 15th October or 1st November.

Something is not adding up.
    Isn't this obvious? It is not in the bag for Labour so they want to make him break his 31/10 promise then watch as he is devoured by BXP at a GE.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    eristdoof said:

GIN1138 said:

rpjs said:

Grounds for Brenda to fire Boris? Historically, ministries had to have the confidence
    of Parliament and the Crown. The latter has become a dead letter as in effect the ministry is the Crown for almost all practical purposes, but it is based on the assumption that ministers are actually telling the Queen the truth when advising her on exercising her prerogative powers.

HMQ does not "fire" her Prime Minister.

But if the supreme country finds the PM has acted unlawfully in the advice he has given her then of course his position and that of his government would be untennable.
    Not since the Governor-General (who is sort-of the Queen) sacked the Australian Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
    My reading of the Whitlam Crisis was that the Govenor General acted beyond his de facto powers, but the Queen got most of the blame. It's crazy that in this case the Govenor General as the Queen's representative did not consult the Queen before taking such controversial action.

When I lived in Australia this episode still wrankled them, even the monarchists, despite being 25 years ago (at that time).
    I must politely disagree. The Dismissal involved a Governor-General dismissing the head of the executive (the PM) for deciding to rule without the required Parliamentary support. The GG acted correctly and it is shameful that modern views of that event are skewed by partisans brigading the Wikipedia page. A constitutional monarchy is not just garters and crowns, it is also a safeguard when a Government steps outside the rules.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    edited September 2019
    And the embarrassing back pedalling begins....

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171755139868368897?s=20

I think someone’s OODA loop is seriously fecked up.....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Observing this government's death is almost getting revolting. It is like watching a medieval execution where the victim is kept alive to see his own organs and entrails slowly removed. The Executive is being slowly executed.

And yet we've just had an opinion poll giving this government a 14% lead which in an election would translate to a majority of nearly 150 seats?
    lol - I very much doubt that will happen. It is the ground game that counts and the opposition parties have a tremendous advantage in numbers, motivation etc...
    Parliament will vote for an election, when it suits them not when it is about giving BJ and the nutters around him a No Deal Brexit. The Government has been held to account bt the H of C, long may that continue.
    But you've just basically said all the Opposition have to do is turn up on the day and the election is in the bag?

You can't get a better guarantee that No Deal is off the table than Corbyn in Downing St with a big majority until 2024 at least?
    What was to stop BJ making the GE day 1st November and No Dealing in the meantime. BJ and those around him do not play fair. I say fuck him and only call an election in a few months time when relative stability is ensured. He or his succesor will have got a further extension and a new parliament can be chosen by the people to represent them.
    If the election is in the bag for Labour it doesn't matter if it's 15th October or 1st November.

Isn't this obvious? It is not in the bag for Labour so they want to make him break his 31/10 promise then watch as he is devoured by BXP at a GE.
    Yes, it is obvious. However, the once bright GIN has long since been taken over by a bot, hence his repeating this guff ad infinitum.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

GIN1138 said:

rpjs said:

Grounds for Brenda to fire Boris? Historically, ministries had to have the confidence
    of Parliament and the Crown. The latter has become a dead letter as in effect the ministry is the Crown for almost all practical purposes, but it is based on the assumption that ministers are actually telling the Queen the truth when advising her on exercising her prerogative powers.

HMQ does not "fire" her Prime Minister.

But if the supreme country finds the PM has acted unlawfully in the advice he has given her then of course his position and that of his government would be untennable.
    Not since the Governor-General (who is sort-of the Queen) sacked the Australian Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
    A more recent case is the Governor-General of Tuvalu using reserve powers to recall parliament after the Prime Minister refused after losing his majority and also the Speaker refusing to accept a VONC in the government.

The Governor-General won.
  • Options
    Chris said:

CatMan said:

From the BBC News website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

"But the Court of Session judges said they were unanimous in their belief that Mr Johnson was motivated by the "improper purpose of stymieing Parliament", and that he had therefore effectively misled the Queen in advising her to suspend Parliament."

Did they really say he had misled the Queen? Again, it's not in the written summary of the judgment.
    It is very strongly implied, as they clearly state that, on the evidence presented to them, the principal reason for the prorogation was not the one advanced by the government.

Unless you think they briefed HM on the ruse, and she was entirely happy with it ?
    (Which unlikely scenario would in any case make Rees Mogg a liar for his account of the prorogation meeting.)
  • Options

I'm not sure they can. What is said between privy council and HMQ is not in the public domain. Hence we cannot know if she was misled or fully aware of all factors
    Exactly this.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141
    edited September 2019
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm I don't think my Scottish ancestry is... quite close enough to get a Scottish passport in the case of independence. I think my mother is though...

Everybody will be welcome and if you want you can get a passport if you live there
    Yes. You’re not anti English at all. In any way. It’s all cuddly civic nationalism. N’er an aggressive word is ever spoken nor discriminatory thought expressed. Unless you’re an English student of course. Or happen to live near a Siol nan Gaidheal chapter. Otherwise I’m sure you’re golden.
  • Options
    In terms of prorogation, the long term solution would surely be to legislate it as an annual occurence of maximum x days unless superceded by a vote of the house 'not to so prorogue', or to set a limit on the number of days prorogation. Or indeed that parliament must meet at least once every seven days during a period of prorogation
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Drutt said:

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Why isn't it possible for judges to be politically biased?
    It is the whole point of our system
    Every judge is biased, and none of their judgments are.
    Everybody is biased , but judges certainly cannot be open about any bias they may have
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Indeed, but it's come to something when the parties of the left are actively trying to promote Farage.
  • Options
    Some dreadful headlines for Bozo today .

Even the fawning BBC can’t avoid this today .
  • Options

In terms of prorogation, the long term solution would surely be to legislate it as an annual occurence of maximum x days unless superceded by a vote of the house 'not to so prorogue', or to set a limit on the number of days prorogation. Or indeed that parliament must meet at least once every seven days during a period of prorogation

That’s a great idea .
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    That attack on the Scottish courts is mad, and sounds like Dom had a foaming tankard of British sherry at 11.30am

They need to wind it in, and tread VERY carefully now. TSK
  • Options

That's not strictly true. Evidently very little was said:
    https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/jacob-rees-mogg-prorogue-parliament-boris-johnson-the-queen-privy-council/
    ...While he was not allowed to divulge what the Queen said, Mr Rees-Mogg explained that the Privy Council meeting was a “very formal process” in which there was no debate. It was conducted with all attendees standing up in line with tradition...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That attack on the Scottish courts is mad, and sounds like Dom had a foaming tankard of British sherry at 11.30am

It's been rowed away from very hurriedly. I've got a sneaking suspicion Mr cummings might be for the chop.........
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Byronic said:

I think it is No 10's first political error in this whole matter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659
    eristdoof said:

Anorak said:
    Johnson's expression in this photo is fantastic.
    It's "oh my god what have I got myself into" and "I did it, I'm the Prime Minister" rolled into one.

(although I suspect that the Photo was taken before he was PM).
    It was taken the day he was in Scotland this week.

All the photo is missing is the 2 litre bottle of cheap cider at his feet, half empty.
  • Options
    Dire when even your own lackeys are lambasting you
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Addresses: widespread distaste among voters for Westminster; unlawful prorogation; London-centricity; feeling that Scotland is ruled from 'abroad', issues with the fabric of the Houses of Parliament.... Plus lots more no doubt.

It would certainly be a good idea to rotate it, through all four parts. MPS would have an excuse for a house in each location. In retrospect it would have been far better than devolution which has just given us loads more lightweight politicians.
    Can you name any other country which uses this model? It would be very impractical.
    The usual way around this problem is to have a clearly defined federal sytem, so that it is clear who has responsibility for what.

Decamping the UK government to a town in the middle of the UK, maybe Chesterfield, would be worth considering though. :wink:
    I can't mention a country, but I can recall a supranational body that does it. Now what was it called, it might come back to me....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I am not going to do another article on this but worth noting the following points:-

1. Before people start getting over-excited about arresting Boris, remember the Supreme Court may overrule this decision.

2. If so, it is possible that the losing party might appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (the ECHR) citing Article 11. No idea whether such an appeal has legs or would even be entertained but imagine the reaction if that were to happen.

3. The missing witness statement and those communications now become really quite important if the Courts consider that the Crown was - or may have been - misled by the government.

4. Which Ministers in Cabinet were involved in that decision also becomes potentially important. Why take the rap for a decision over which you had no ownership?

5. “Boris lies to the Queen” is the sort of thing that can cut through to the public.

6. This statement by the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland QC -

Our judges are renowned around the world for their excellence and impartiality and I have total confidence in their independence in every case.

— Robert Buckland QC MP (@RobertBuckland) September 11, 2019
    - is welcome (it’s the bare minimum, frankly) but does not go far enough. He should unequivocally condemn the statement by No 10 attacking the Scottish courts for doing their job. He needs to protect them from his own government not just express his own confidence in them. If he cannot or won’t, he should in all honour resign.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

And it’s not even this Friday....the 13th......
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I didn't say it was in the bag for Labour. I said the opposition parties have a more motivated base! I was reffering to Labour, LD, SNP etc. It also looks like tactical voting against Tories will impact the result. Delaying the election removes giving it on BJ's terms. He has been out played!
  • Options

It is deliberate. Like Leadsom saying the 21 tories were welcome back whilst no 10 saying they werent. They will spin everything both ways, allowing their believers to believe the version they prefer.

Those who want to rail against the judges think they know what the PM really thinks. Those who want to obey the rule of law are partially reassured by whats seen to be a climbdown.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Indeed, but it's come to something when the parties of the left are actively trying to promote Farage.
    Not really, it’s a consequence of fighting an election under FPP. If you want a straight fight, call a second referendum, May vs Remain.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

BBC News is unwatchable. Laura K is unbearably on-side. I gave up on it long ago.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Tom Watson calls for second Brexit referendum before an election"

https://news.sky.com/story/tom-watson-calls-for-second-brexit-referendum-before-an-election-11806934
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Not really, it’s a consequence of fighting an election under FPP. If you want a straight fight, call a second referendum, May vs Remain.
    The only second referendum with legitimacy, considering the result of the first, would be Deal vs No Deal.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Addresses: widespread distaste among voters for Westminster; unlawful prorogation; London-centricity; feeling that Scotland is ruled from 'abroad'; issues with the fabric of the Houses of Parliament; congestion around Parliament Square.... Plus lots more no doubt.

Would need to open a shedload of pubs and restaurants for all the freeloaders
    Not a nice way to talk about all those SNP MPs
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

How are 'Unionist' and 'Nationalist' defined here? I get that a minority of LDs favour Brexit and Brexit party voters remain, but surely a 'nationalist' ceases to be a nationalist if they'd vote for the union and vice versa?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The only second referendum with legitimacy, considering the result of the first, would be Deal vs No Deal.
    Not so. It is ludicrous to put No Deal on the ballot paper when Remain carries far more public support. You are institutionalised man - get out, get out now - before it’s too late!
  • Options
    The government really has handled this case badly.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

What is illegitimate about deal vs extend for further debate?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I am not going to do another article on this but worth noting the following points:-

1. Before people start getting over-excited about arresting Boris, remember the Supreme Court may overrule this decision.

2. If so, it is possible that the losing party might appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (the ECHR) citing Article 11. No idea whether such an appeal has legs or would even be entertained but imagine the reaction if that were to happen.

3. The missing witness statement and those communications now become really quite important if the Courts consider that the Crown was - or may have been - misled by the government.

4. Which Ministers in Cabinet were involved in that decision also becomes potentially important. Why take the rap for a decision over which you had no ownership?

5. “Boris lies to the Queen” is the sort of thing that can cut through to the public.

6. This statement by the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland QC -

Our judges are renowned around the world for their excellence and impartiality and I have total confidence in their independence in every case.

— Robert Buckland QC MP (@RobertBuckland) September 11, 2019
    - is welcome (it’s the bare minimum, frankly) but does not go far enough. He should unequivocally condemn the statement by No 10 attacking the Scottish courts for doing their job. He needs to protect them from his own government not just express his own confidence in them. If he cannot or won’t, he should in all honour resign.

It wasn't a statement by number ten, it was 'sources'.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Gusto Bebb suggesting documents deliberately being withheld from courts. Thinks Boris should resign.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Mr. Johnson is now to be unseated as leader of the Conservative Party, the question becomes who leads them into the GE and on what platform?

He won't be but if he is Raab or Patel will replace him on an all out war with diehard Remainers ticket, the membership will only vote got someone even more hardline than Boris now, there is utter fury about the die hard Remainers contempt for democracy with members I speak to and a formal alliance with the Brexit Party would be likely too
    Another HY prediction for the collection!!
    Die hard remainers mentioned twice. No mention of the war or traitors though. I wonder if he is having the teensiweeniest doubt that Boris might be a liability after all. A reverse damascene moment perhaps.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

How are 'Unionist' and 'Nationalist' defined here? I get that a minority of LDs favour Brexit and Brexit party voters remain, but surely a 'nationalist' ceases to be a nationalist if they'd vote for the union and vice versa?
    Indeed it’s rather like those PB Tories who vote Tory at every election yet deny they are Tories.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

The Northern Ireland Act must come into play soon.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Hes about to get a ton of shit dropped on him for supporting Carl Beech, his days are numbered
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

That could be reasonable - I was talking about the proposed end states.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Cyclefree said:

6. This statement by the Lord Chancellor, Robert Buckland QC ... is welcome (it’s the bare minimum, frankly) but does not go far enough. He should unequivocally condemn the statement by No 10 attacking the Scottish courts for doing their job. He needs to protect them from his own government not just express his own confidence in them. If he cannot or won’t, he should in all honour resign.

TBF, No.10 'sources' have now rowed back, and No.10 has made no such 'statement' officially, I think ?

Frankly, I didn't expect this decision, so the evidence before the court of the government's motives must have been fairly blatant.

Much hangs on next week's decision.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

What fresh unnecessary cockup has the jester and his court contrived in the last hour or two?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

That could be reasonable - I was talking about the proposed end states.
    Everyone focuses on the same old rehashed arguments, people should consider other options such as that or a citizens assembly - there are probably many other paths that could work. That they have not yet been widely debated with people having positions they are tied to should be in their favour rather than dismissing them in favour of the resolutions that have all failed to make any progress.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    dixiedean said:

Gusto Bebb suggesting documents deliberately being withheld from courts. Thinks Boris should resign.

If the government did not give full disclosure.Surely they will be in contempt ?
  • Options

Selebian said:

The Northern Ireland Act must come into play soon.
    What if the RoI says they are not keen!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Politicians are never uglier than when they are losing. I think, therefore, that we can see which ones are currently losing.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    How quick can the criminal cabal in no 10 hastily re write the documents related to the suspension !

If they don’t release them then what do they have to hide , and how much will this influence the SC decision .
  • Options
    Dire when even your own lackeys are lambasting you

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Got to say it would be very tempting if No Deal came to pass. An Independent Scotland would be fast-tracked back into the EU - Euro, Schengen and all - and would storm ahead imo.

I just hope for E&W's sake Brexit can be stopped or kept very soft and a more federal UK can be allowed to develop.
    Westminster will never give up the powers
  • Options
    Imagine Boris Johnson handling the liaison committee.

https://twitter.com/c4ciaran/status/1171759668563234817?s=21
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

That is the problem with another referendum.
    No one can now agree on what questions might be 'legitimate'.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited September 2019
    Jeez. What a mess. The Union about to break (tho I think we should take any polls on this, in the present atmos, with a mighty pinch of salt), the Queen being asked to resign.... Brexit is busting open our politics.

We need either a referendum or a GE very very very fast. Maybe the former is the way out for Boris, and he can say he was given no choice?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

If the government did not give full disclosure.Surely they will be in contempt ?
    They would yes, and would rightly get mullered for it. Guto better have good sources cos he doesn't have the protection of p privilege here. Serious accusation.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

What fresh unnecessary cockup has the jester and his court contrived in the last hour or two?

I don't think he always contrives them, they just, well, happen.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Indeed it’s rather like those PB Tories who vote Tory at every election yet deny they are Tories.
    Such as?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    TGOHF said:

Using dubious laws to read private messages simply drives discussions to verbal - down the pub or over a coffee.

Or onto more secure messaging systems or burner phones.

Dominic Grieve may think he’s Robocop but I saw him and his son wearing matching tabards on the sleeper train - no doubt off to shoot some well armed what’s app using No deal Grouse.

If you think burner phones will help you, think again. A former colleague whom I investigated is in prison for insider dealing. Her use of burner phones did not help one little bit. In an earlier case, two conspirators who talked at the races were also caught. Once more than one person is involved - and this will always be the case - you are vulnerable.
  • Options

It is deliberate. Like Leadsom saying the 21 tories were welcome back whilst no 10 saying they werent. They will spin everything both ways, allowing their believers to believe the version they prefer.

Those who want to rail against the judges think they know what the PM really thinks. Those who want to obey the rule of law are partially reassured by whats seen to be a climbdown.
    Very plausible. It's how Boris kept people who want a deal inside by acting as though he wanted one even though it looks far from it.
  • Options

nico67 said:

BBC News is unwatchable. Laura K is unbearably on-side. I gave up on it long ago.
    The BBC is accused of being anti-Labour and anti-Tory by their respective supporters. Maybe that means it's fairly neutral.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes. You’re not anti English at all. In any way. It’s all cuddly civic nationalism. N’er an aggressive word is ever spoken nor discriminatory thought expressed. Unless you’re an English student of course. Or happen to live near a Siol nan Gaidheal chapter. Otherwise I’m sure you’re golden.
    To be fair, I don't think any English holiday homes have been burnt down recently, have they. No equivalent of Meibion Glyndŵr?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Selebian said:

Such as?
    Morris Dancer, and many others
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mostly because no one wants their option excluded and including all options becomes too complex and has ordering biases. Deal vs extend largely resolves those problems.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

The BBC is accused of being anti-Labour and anti-Tory by their respective supporters. Maybe that means it's fairly neutral.
    Spot on.
  • Options

Bit like the charts that historically have said “farewell Tories”

Scoop! People can change their minds as they age....
  • Options
    nico67 said:

How quick can the criminal cabal in no 10 hastily re write the documents related to the suspension !

If they don’t release them then what do they have to hide , and how much will this influence the SC decision .

I imagine all documents have already been handed over. If there are undisclosed docs then they are no longer a legitimate government and deserve to be cast out into the utterdark
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Prorogation has been a total clusterfuck.

As noted this morning, this wizard wheeze was dreamt up by JRM.

What chances he comes out of this unscathed?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

They would yes, and would rightly get mullered for it. Guto better have good sources cos he doesn't have the protection of p privilege here. Serious accusation.
    He was implying sources inside No.10.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Selebian said:

Surely it's more like identifying as a catholic but not believing in god
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

I am not anti English, though I am sure there will be a small amount in Scotland are. Generally all are welcomed and shedloads of English people live happily in Scotland. You get people in England that are anti Scottish , and loads of the establishment are etc, that is life.
    Nobody is forcing you to come.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Prorogation has been a total clusterfuck.

As noted this morning, this wizard wheeze was dreamt up by JRM.

What chances he comes out of this unscathed?

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/1171733281991249920
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    Brexit Parties down to 45%. And that was before the party of law & order discovered they'd elected a lying crook
    You're actually going to spin a 14% Con lead as good news for REMAIN? :D
    You surely don't think the blue rinses are going to stay loyal now that Boris has been caught telling their Queen porkies?
    What "porkies" did Boris tell the Queen ? This is highly defamatory .
    I think it's fairly clear from this bit:
    ...although advice to HM the Queen on the exercise of the royal prerogative of prorogating Parliament was not reviewable on the normal grounds of judicial review, it would nevertheless be unlawful if its purpose was to stymie parliamentary scrutiny of the executive, which was a central pillar of the good governance principle enshrined in the constitution; this followed from the principles of democracy and the rule of law. The circumstances in which the advice was proffered and the content of the documents produced by the respondent demonstrated that this was the true reason for the prorogation....
    Stupid idiots can't even redact a document properly...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Addresses: widespread distaste among voters for Westminster; unlawful prorogation; London-centricity; feeling that Scotland is ruled from 'abroad'; issues with the fabric of the Houses of Parliament; congestion around Parliament Square.... Plus lots more no doubt.

Would need to open a shedload of pubs and restaurants for all the freeloaders
    Not a nice way to talk about all those SNP MPs
    They would be in the queue for sure
  • Options
    The Bozo-Cumstain cunning strategy would appear to be to throw a dozen dog turds at the wall to see if any of them stick.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

nico67 said:

I expect Kuennsberg and Brillo likely vote Tory, whilst Maitliss and Pienaar are Labour voters. Overall its output is neutral enough though, as evidenced by the fact it is attacked from both sides.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Very plausible. It's how Boris kept people who want a deal inside by acting as though he wanted one even though it looks far from it.
    I thought I was cynical before this government came to power but I have now had to ratchet up my cynicism several levels!
  • Options
    Cummings: total chaos, everything's fine and going to plan.
  • Options
    Mr. Anabobazina, I've voted for about half a dozen different parties. I didn't vote Conservative at the last local elections.

I don't mind fiction writing, I rather enjoy doing it myself, but I'd be grateful if you didn't write fiction about me.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yorkcity said:

dixiedean said:

He was implying sources inside No.10.
    Number 10 saying it has withheld documents?!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Mostly because no one wants their option excluded and including all options becomes too complex and has ordering biases. Deal vs extend largely resolves those problems.
    In theory - but in practice, both are fairly unpopular options, and less popular than those excluded.
  • Options

Bit like the charts that historically have said “farewell Tories”

Scoop! People can change their minds as they age....
    Yes, but on this issue it is unlikely. Many people in the North, whichever "side" they are from no longer fear the republic as they did in the past. The republic used to be seen as backward. Now it is seen as more modern than the North. I'd give continued partition 20 years max.
  • Options
    With the theory that each terrible government is replaced by an even worse one, the next government is going to be a corker and no mistake.
  • Options

Mr. Anabobazina, I've voted for about half a dozen different parties. I didn't vote Conservative at the last local elections.

I don't mind fiction writing, I rather enjoy doing it myself, but I'd be grateful if you didn't write fiction about me.

Who did you vote for in the last locals ?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Cummings: total chaos, everything's fine and going to plan.

Because we do not know the plan, I find this hard to judge. We know the end state the plan wants a Boris deal that is a clear win over the EU (which is why he will not get it) or no deal on 31st Oct.

My view of the current events is that none have had a significant effect on that outcome.
  • Options
    Worth noting the rolling news coverage today is not nearly as breathless as we are......
  • Options
    As with MPs quickly painting themselves into a corner on the unacceptability of The Deal, this is, um, courageous. As Tom N-D says... no coming back from this should circumstances change, before *or after* an election. If BXP was to win a dozen seats in a tight race, that quote is coming back as they sit down to talks.

Why not just say "Good old Nige.. he wants *how* many seats? He's having a giraffe", which at least leaves the way open to a deal later.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1171758291300618247
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

In theory - but in practice, both are fairly unpopular options, and less popular than those excluded.
    Nothing is excluded! Extension is by definition unpopular, but is what you do when you are not yet ready to make a decision. This solution respects the actual leave vote far more than any other proposal, and makes catastrophe for the country unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.