Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Electoral reform – Coming sooner than you think?

13»

Comments

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Authorities have arrested a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings based on security video that showed a man depositing a bag at the scene before the blasts"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/17/us-usa-explosions-boston-idUSBRE93F06T20130417
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Extremely poised lesson by Amanda Thatcher, she is very telegenic, she spoke in an American accent, was she born in America? If so, with the Thatcher name and with the attendance of the likes of Cheney, Gingrich and Bachmann at the funeral showing the strength of the Thatcher brand in the US could she be an outside bet for the first female Republican President in say 2040?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    @Roger

I would have thought an early fiscally expansionary item would be to buy you a train ticket to go to resettle in Argyll.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Extremely poised lesson by Amanda Thatcher, she is very telegenic, she spoke in an American accent, was she born in America? If so, with the Thatcher name and with the attendance of the likes of Cheney, Gingrich and Bachmann at the funeral showing the strength of the Thatcher brand in the US could she be an outside bet for the first female Republican President in say 2040?

I believe she was born in London.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Roger said:

Is it coincidence that the Queen has only attended funerals for Tory Prime Ministers?

Did you read the Gruaniad obit of Atlee?
  • Options
    Carlotta - Churchill was a Liberal too for a time
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited April 2013
    Watching C4 news, remarkable how so many of the poor people celebrating Thatcher's demise are, shall we say, generously proportioned....Crick observing only half a dozen protesters in Glasgow's George Square...
  • Options
    TSE - Oh well, never mind, what about Michael?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    According to CNN video/news: a dark skinned man placed the second bomb on the Boston Marathon rout. An arrest has been made. A statement to be made at 17:00hrs Boston time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TSE - Oh well, never mind, what about Michael?

Actually, I'm reading contradictory things, this guardian piece says both are American born

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/16/margaret-thatcher-grandchildren
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2013
    HYUFD said:

*tears of laughter etc*

Tea party tories.

Unspoofable. ;^)

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited April 2013
    You can make a few guesses regarding the conflicting information on an arrest and court appearance in Boston.

1. I assume US law does allow for a period of questioning before charges need bringing. Thus to suggest an arrest then a court appearance in a few hours is either a) inaccurate and theyve had this person lifted for plenty longer or b) they have a total belief this is a one person job or c) there is some legal process that needs doing fast.

2. If this was a group enterprise you do not announce an arrest and court appearance so quickly unless again this persons detention has be occurring for some time. What you tend to do is get anyone linked under investigation fast and you say nothing whilst that is going on. The only time that changes is when you have a confession. Thus such an early set of announcements tend to be relatively uncommon in terror cases unless theyve released the information too early or its wrong.

There are inconsistencies here that will require some kind of understanding. The process doesnt make sense without further information.

Edit: Just occurs that someone originally questioned may be in trouble on an unrelated matter.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    Roger said:

Is it coincidence that the Queen has only attended funerals for Tory Prime Ministers? I suspect not. Until we become a republic nothing meaningful will change. Question to the Scots; If you become independent are you going to ditch the Tory Royal family once and for all?

HMQ is a descendant of the last Scottish king James VI.
  • Options
    TSE - Interesting, as both are also evangelical Christians from Texas I think they would be tailor-made for a future GOP ticket, with an even stronger brand in the GOP than the Bush brand! (None of the Reagans by contrast either share their father's politics, eg Nancy's children, or look remotely presidential, eg Michael)
  • Options
    Of course they may prefer to keep their lives private rather than enter the public sphere, their own decision
  • Options

Watching C4 news, remarkable how so many of the poor people celebrating Thatcher's demise are, shall we say, generously proportioned....Crick observing only half a dozen protesters in Glasgow's George Square...

They may have acquired these proportions due to many years of "comfort eating", and today should be good for another few overgenerous portions. As a resident of Bournville, Birmingham, I recommend a slightly refrigerated (large) bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    AndyJS said:

I'm starting to think a right-wing nutter might be the most likely culprit re. Boston now that a ricin letter has been sent to Obama - either a guns fanatic and/or white supremacist:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190031

A few hours ago the BBC were reporting that the US administration were saying that there was no known connection between the Ricin letters and the bombings. Which may or may not be true - coincidences happen.

As for the rest: whether right-wing, left-wing, pro-gun, anti-gun, Islamist or Christian (*), I think we can all agree that (s)he / they is most certainly a nutter.

My own personal impression (almost certainly wrong) is that this is a lone wolf and not an organised group. As for the motivation: haven't a clue.

(*) I have seen all of these on various websites. Coincidentally enough, people always seem keen to blame people who are opposite to them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TSE - Interesting, as both are also evangelical Christians from Texas I think they would be tailor-made for a future GOP ticket, with an even stronger brand in the GOP than the Bush brand! (None of the Reagans by contrast either share their father's politics, eg Nancy's children, or look remotely presidential, eg Michael)

George P Bush vs Amanda Thatcher for the GOP nomination in a few years time?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    tim said:

SkyNews
    @SkyNewsBreak: Boston Police Department: No arrested have been made in connection with the marathon bombings

All the news media are on self-evidently a hair trigger of speculation/fact so the Obama administration would be well advised to do something to try and calm them down. Another short press conf. with what is known and what isn't may have to take place.

• Options
    Tim - Worth a tenner on a long shot bet!
  • Options
    HYUFD, well at least you've stumbed upon a presidential prosect a bit more viable than The Donald! Of course, that's like saying a bet on a carthorse winning the Kentucky Derby is a better bet than a day-old lottery ticket.

NOTE that Lady Thatcher is more widely respected in US, not because of her politics, but in spite of them. Biggest reason is simple fact - still amazing really - that she was first UK woman Prime Minister. Personally know many young(ish) woman who found/find that inspirational, who had less than zero regard for Reagan & Reaganism.

• Options
    The new(est) PB is just as squirrly (though less obnoxious) than Disqust. For example, I can log on at the local library but NOT from my home computer.
  • Options
    "Yes, Thatcher was divisive: There were those who wanted to save the country and those who didn't."

https://twitter.com/DickDelingpole/status/324436804122062848

:-)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253
    Roger said:

Question to the Scots; If you become independent are you going to ditch the Tory Royal family once and for all?

Keep the incumbent (her actual constitutional role in Holyrood is minimal anyway), post QEI/II, all bets off.

• Options
    According to Fox News, no arrests have been made re boston. WTF?

http://www.foxnews.com/
  • Options
    Mention of an Angus Reid poll

"More good news for #UKIP especially in London, now on 15% (16% Nationwide) Winter for #Tories & #LibDems #AngusRiedpoll"

https://twitter.com/wiffen/status/324508803016056832
  • Options
    I see Kissinger still going, stood next to Cheney
  • Options
    For example, just tried to leave comment stating lots of media flapping re: alleged/possible arrests in Marathon Bombing case. Also that a law enforcement press conference is scheduled for 5PM Boston time.

Also that mail apparently contamindated with ricin (sp) has been received by White House, and by offices of at least two US Senators (Wicker Mississippi Republican, Levin Michigan Democrat). I say "apparently" because former FBI expert says false positives are common.
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    SSI - Thanks and interesting comments on US women and Thatcher
  • Options
    'Noone will forget the woman who won 3 elections in a row to impose her will on the country' Dimbleby's closing remarks. Well she only imposed her will because the people willed her!
  • Options
    Re: Lady's Thatcher's funeral, note that among official representatives of US House selected by Speaker is Michele Bachmann. That ought to give some notion as to the US political circles who make BIG deal of Iron Lady.

BTW, the death of President Reagan was NOT marked by widepread hostility to the Gipper, at least publically. Why? Think for three reasons:

1) Reagan was President, our head of state. Many who would never have dreamed of voting for him (including your's truly) would not dream of overtly disrespecting ANY president, certainly not a former one.

2) Reagan was a rightwinger with a sunny personality. Unless one wanted to mantain constant ideological blinders, it was difficult not to appreciate his human side.

3) Anti-Reaganites by and large realize that many in the middle have some warm or at least positive feelings toward the guy, and many lefties appreciate the liberalism of his most prominent son and Nancy Reagan's support of stem-cell research). Just dumb politics over hear to keep on beating a dead horse. So they let the rightwingers cream their jeans over the Gipper without busting their own nut about it.
  • Options
    Personally believe that, outside of state politics in Texas and Florida, the Bush brand is as dead in American politics as that of Hoover. And for similar reasons.

IMHO, perfidious Albionians greatly overestimate the impact/scope of American political dynasties. For example, note that the name Kennedy has NOT been exactly golden in politics since mid 1980. Maybe the newest Kennedy in Congress will revive the clan, but I seriously doubt it.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    tim said:
    Polling 12-13 April, so predates Thatcher's deathmuch of pre-funeral coverage.

But before dismissing for that reason alone, interesting to note 3% fall in Labour share since previous AR poll. Tories unchanged, UKIP up 5, Lib Dems down 2.

SNP 3%, Green 3%, BNP 2%.

Cameron approval (as PM) unchanged on 32, Miliband 29 (-1), Clegg 19 (-1).

The Nats won't like "In Scotland, Labour is practically tied with the SNP (38% to 37%)."

Probably best filed in bin.
  • Options
    tim said:
    Hehe; Ukip still beating the L/Dems it seems. But why does Angus Reid drape the parties in such abismal colours. I mean the L/Dems are in a sickly green hue: that may be because they are really feeling sick on these results.
  • Options
    Just about best source for developments re: Marathon bombings is Boston Globe's live blog:

http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_blog_Explosion_in_Copley_Square
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253
    Omnium said:

The death of she who was the greatest living Briton was something I felt that in my own small way I should mark.

Somehow comforting that Thatcherites still remain out of touch with the majority of the UK.

'The Queen is voted Greatest Living Briton'

http://tinyurl.com/bm6zkt5
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    AveryLP said:

tim said:
    Polling 12-13 April, so predates Thatcher's death.

But before dismissing for that reason alone, interesting to note 3% fall in Labour share since previous AR poll. Tories unchanged, UKIP up 5, Lib Dems down 2.

The Nats won't like "In Scotland, Labour is practically tied with the SNP (38% to 37%)."

Predates her funeral, not her death.

http://order-order.com/2013/04/16/thatcher-death-certificate/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yeah. And both could have sailed across the Atlantic floating on the blood they shed dishonoring good name of America.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2013

Personally believe that, outside of state politics in Texas and Florida, the Bush brand is as dead in American politics as that of Hoover. And for similar reasons.

Does it suck? I'll get me coat.......

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

HYUFD said:

Yeah. And both could have sailed across the Atlantic floating on the blood they shed dishonoring good name of America.
    which good name would this be ?
  • Options
    I see Fergie was also there
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    MikeK said:

tim said:
    Hehe; Ukip still beating the L/Dems it seems. But why does Angus Reid drape the parties in such abismal colours. I mean the L/Dems are in a sickly green hue: that may be because they are really feeling sick on these results.
    As a Lib Dem, I'm feeling relaxed about the 15% on ICM while UKIP have only 9% with that pollster. ICM - that's the one called the Gold Standard while Angus Reid has been called some other things.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

tim said:

SkyNews
    @SkyNewsBreak: Boston Police Department: No arrested have been made in connection with the marathon bombings

All the news media are on self-evidently a hair trigger of speculation/fact so the Obama administration would be well advised to do something to try and calm them down. Another short press conf. with what is known and what isn't may have to take place.

Right now, Americans do NOT need some statement from President on Boston, he already said what needs to be said.

RIght now, we're waiting for more facts from law enforcement. Which are highly likely to be forthcoming at scheduled 5PM (EDT) press conference in Boston.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    HYUFD said:

'Noone will forget the woman who won 3 elections in a row to impose her will on the country' Dimbleby's closing remarks. Well she only imposed her will because the people willed her!

She was also booted out of number 10 because tory MPs imposed their will on her before the electorate could.

• Options
    stodge said:

MikeK said:

tim said:
    As a Lib Dem, I'm feeling relaxed about the 15% on ICM while UKIP have only 9% with that pollster. ICM - that's the one called the Gold Standard while Angus Reid has been called some other things.
    Stodge, Stodge, Stodge.

Look at the trend, not the number. UKIP on the up with all pollsters, LDs dead in the water.
  • Options
    As for further statement by President re: Marathon Bombings, WH press statement that he and First Lady will be in Boston tomorrow.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    "Angus Reid is the Gold Standard"

N. Farage, Kent.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Right now, Americans do NOT need some statement from President on Boston, he already said what needs to be said.

RIght now, we're waiting for more facts from law enforcement. Which are highly likely to be forthcoming at scheduled 5PM (EDT) press conference in Boston.

I said the administration so perhaps you need to calm down too. The basic facts will obviously come from law enforcement including the FBI but the rampant speculation and the media race to be first with the suspect and motive are doing nothing but obfuscating the story at the moment. So in relation to that the administration needs to reiterate what is know by law enforcement and what is being done. There will be more statements from the administration on this after all.

• Options
    I said yesterday, or was it early this morning, that now would be a good time to buy gold after its recent falls. But woah! Hold the horses. Experts are saying that no one know why Gold fell in such a drastic fashion:

Scariest Part of Gold Crash? No One Knows Why It Happened (CNBC)

The two-day crash in the price of gold is one of the most devastating asset sell-offs ever witnessed on Wall Street, right up there with the stock market crash of 1987. What makes it that much worse is no one is exactly sure why it happened.
    And until investors get some answers, the selling may continue, they say.

"Unless you have a catalyst, 'cheap' gets a lot cheaper during a crash in price expectations," said Keith McCullough of Hedgeye Risk Management. "Old Wall calls it 'catching a falling knife' for a reason."

Gold posted its biggest two-day dollar drop ever and its biggest percentage drop since 1980 when the carnage settled Monday. Prices rebounded slightly in early trading Tuesday. It's now down 26 percent from its 2011 high. (For the latest price, click here.)

"We are running out of superlatives to attach to the gold price move since last Friday," Nomura analyst Tyler Broda wrote in a note to clients. "The rarity of a move like this is notable."

It seems like every trader on Wall Street has a theory for the move. Most commonly cited are fears of central bank selling (especially Cyprus), exchange-traded funds liquidation, global deflation setting in, a weak yen strengthening the dollar, and mysterious hedge funds blowing up from margin calls.

"The major holders of gold other than the U.S. (i.e., the EU and England) need gold to support their economies and banks," said Sean Egan of Egan-Jones research. "A little selling has a major impact on supply and feeds price declines and follow-on selling." But the Cyprus theory has yet to be proven. Reportedly, there is an internal debate still raging inside Cyprus to sell gold to pay its growing bailout tab, but they have not sold any gold yet.

Many say there may not be a fundamental reason to pinpoint for the bullion crash. After all, the metal has no fundamentals like cash flows or dividends, so it is only worth what others are willing to pay for it. After a 13-year run, perhaps it was time for other assets like Treasurys and high-yielding stocks to gain favor among the safe-haven crowd.

"Commodities trade even more technically than other assets since it's futures driven," said Enis Taner, global macro editor for RiskReversal.com. The crash "was technical more than anything in my view."

Taner points to the $1,530 to $1,550 area for gold, which was support for the metal for almost two years. Once it broke below that, the rush for the exits started.

And that's where a new facet of this trade, which was not around in 1980, may have thrown fuel on the fire: ETFs. They give the average Joe access to the gold futures market and these less sophisticated investors may not have the same pain threshold or capital as institutional investors.

(Read More: Mark Fisher: Gold Bulls Should Love This)

The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), the most popular gold ETF, traded 150 million shares during the two-day slam, more than the total volume of the previous 16 days. This smacks of panic selling.

"The gold market metrics are in uncharted territory," said David Greenberg of Greenberg Capital. "The GLD effects on gold in a panic sell-off have never been tested."

History has shown that once gold enters a bear market (20 percent off high), it keeps going lower by another 14 percent on average, according to data going back to 1975 crunched by Bespoke Investment Group. That would put the metal well below $1,300.

"While no one of these explanations may be sufficient to explain a 20 percent move, collectively they all matter," said Robert Savage, chief strategist at FX Concepts and previous director of FX macro sales at Goldman Sachs. "Gold is unlikely to bounce much—it's a heavy metal after all—with the larger medium term risk of $1,100."

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013

AveryLP said:

tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

Thanks. Have corrected original post.

I think my general point about it being outdated in light of the pre-funeral coverage still applies, if not to quite the same extent..
  • Options
    Mike Pork - All politicians have a shelf life but she still transformed Britain of that there is no doubt
  • Options
    Speaking of Thatcher funeral, coverage on US breakfast TV this morning was just a step up from prefunctory.

My guess is that when he kicks the bucket, Tony Blair will get considerably more coverage over here. And that will be more controversial. Why? Because of Iraq War.

Before the war, Blair was popular with US lefties. During the war, became beloved by rightwingers. The bloom has faded, but the memories endure. My guess is that even some who opposed (or came to oppose) the war will still remeber him sticking his neck out to be pro-American (at least in a sense; personally wish he'd returned the favor Eisenhower did you Brits in 1956 re: Suez).

Some may say, but what about famous Reagan-Thatcher partnership? Well from US perspective, that was basically Maggie tagging along with Ronnie. Whereas in case of Blair, we saw him as being much more equal to the President of the day, basically because W was so lame in a way that even his supporters realized.

BTW, right now big joke about W is his taking up painting. Most who bother to comment regard hjis work as below middle-school standard. Which dovetails nicely with not-so-old joke, "Did you hear about the fire at the George W. Bush Presidential Library? Fortunately they were able to save the coloring book."
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    @Theuniondivvie

Somehow comforting that Thatcherites still remain out of touch with the majority of the UK.

'The Queen is voted Greatest Living Briton'

http://tinyurl.com/bm6zkt5

I don't think its entirely unreasonable to have a differing view in this. I happily accept the democratic wisdom when governments are formed but I see no necessity to do so when forming opinions.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    MikeK said:

I said yesterday, or was it early this morning, that now would be a good time to buy gold after its recent falls. But woah! Hold the horses. Experts are saying that no one know why Gold fell in such a drastic fashion:

Scariest Part of Gold Crash? No One Knows Why It Happened (CNBC)

The two-day crash in the price of gold is one of the most devastating asset sell-offs ever witnessed on Wall Street, right up there with the stock market crash of 1987. What makes it that much worse is no one is exactly sure why it happened.
    And until investors get some answers, the selling may continue, they say.

"Unless you have a catalyst, 'cheap' gets a lot cheaper during a crash in price expectations," said Keith McCullough of Hedgeye Risk Management. "Old Wall calls it 'catching a falling knife' for a reason."

Gold posted its biggest two-day dollar drop ever and its biggest percentage drop since 1980 when the carnage settled Monday. Prices rebounded slightly in early trading Tuesday. It's now down 26 percent from its 2011 high. (For the latest price, click here.)

"We are running out of superlatives to attach to the gold price move since last Friday," Nomura analyst Tyler Broda wrote in a note to clients. "The rarity of a move like this is notable."

It seems like every trader on Wall Street has a theory for the move. Most commonly cited are fears of central bank selling (especially Cyprus), exchange-traded funds liquidation, global deflation setting in, a weak yen strengthening the dollar, and mysterious hedge funds blowing up from margin calls.

"The major holders of gold other than the U.S. (i.e., the EU and England) need gold to support their economies and banks," said Sean Egan of Egan-Jones research. "A little selling has a major impact on supply and feeds price declines and follow-on selling." But the Cyprus theory has yet to be proven. Reportedly, there is an internal debate still raging inside Cyprus to sell gold to pay its growing bailout tab, but they have not sold any gold yet.

Many say there may not be a fundamental reason to pinpoint for the bullion crash. After all, the metal has no fundamentals like cash flows or dividends, so it is only worth what others are willing to pay for it. After a 13-year run, perhaps it was time for other assets like Treasurys and high-yielding stocks to gain favor among the safe-haven crowd.

"Commodities trade even more technically than other assets since it's futures driven," said Enis Taner, global macro editor for RiskReversal.com. The crash "was technical more than anything in my view."

Taner points to the $1,530 to $1,550 area for gold, which was support for the metal for almost two years. Once it broke below that, the rush for the exits started.

And that's where a new facet of this trade, which was not around in 1980, may have thrown fuel on the fire: ETFs. They give the average Joe access to the gold futures market and these less sophisticated investors may not have the same pain threshold or capital as institutional investors.

(Read More: Mark Fisher: Gold Bulls Should Love This)

The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), the most popular gold ETF, traded 150 million shares during the two-day slam, more than the total volume of the previous 16 days. This smacks of panic selling.

"The gold market metrics are in uncharted territory," said David Greenberg of Greenberg Capital. "The GLD effects on gold in a panic sell-off have never been tested."

History has shown that once gold enters a bear market (20 percent off high), it keeps going lower by another 14 percent on average, according to data going back to 1975 crunched by Bespoke Investment Group. That would put the metal well below $1,300.

"While no one of these explanations may be sufficient to explain a 20 percent move, collectively they all matter," said Robert Savage, chief strategist at FX Concepts and previous director of FX macro sales at Goldman Sachs. "Gold is unlikely to bounce much—it's a heavy metal after all—with the larger medium term risk of $1,100."

Are Sachs saying to buy or sell, thats the way to tell which way its going - though of course they may be double bluffing...
  • Options
    mosesmoses Posts: 45

Thatcher was a grocer's daughter, yet here was the Queen turning up to bow her head in salutation, in a "state funeral" at St Paul's. Remarkable.

Why don't lefties see this?

Had to repost that.
    They don't they are in a minority yet they think they are in a majority

Wilson closed down twice the mines in half the time as MAggie. I did my homework under a candle so feck the miners
This discussion has been closed.