Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    ydoethur said:

GERS deficits.
    snip

Well, possibly. But if you calculated only London (population 7,000) or all of Greater London except the Square Mile...would you get a different result?

Similarly, in some of the other regions - the South West probably breaks about even, but if you just calculated for Bristol and Bath it would be a surplus.

Or perhaps, in the case of Scotland, the deficit would be less if you got rid of Ayrshire (sorry Malcolm!) and the Western Isles, while it would surely be a surplus for Fife and Aberdeen.

The point I am making here is that at some level, all regions are artificial constructs. There will be places in deficit and in surplus within all of them. The reason why Scotland and Northern Ireland are important at this moment is because of the independence/separation movements within them for those tax gathering areas which have to address issues around funding if they are to advance their agenda.

That's not to say they couldn't address those problems, just that they pose questions that need answering.
    Ydoethur , getting rid of two beautiful areas and keeping two dumps, how could that be beneficial.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That is seriously worrying. We know Trump loves those who flatter him.
    There is a significant section of the Evangelical base who consider Trump to be the literal fulfilment of prophecy signifying the final battle of the End Times leading to the Second Coming and Judgment Day.
    He seems to be buying into this.
    And I am quite serious here.
    https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1164205596712886272?s=21
    In the past few days, he has tried to buy Greenland, and declared himself the King of Israel and now the Chosen One.
    Anybody else and there would be a psychiatric intervention. I do not agree with diagnosing others with deteriorating mental health. But there are surely red flags for those who are qualified to do so.
    once again the narcissist has you all talking about him and not his policies.

at this rate hes a cert for Prez in 2020
    Nah. It's far more serious and worrying than that.
    people have been making wild accusations against Trump for years, he hasnt started world war three, or sold his soul to Putin or started mass ethnic cleansing despite all the shouting.

He plays the opposition by letting fly at their sacred cows and they drool like Pavlovian dogs every time he does.
    No. It is precisely because his recent outbursts aren't that that is worrying me.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    She's changed her position. She's said she's willing to discuss alternatives to the backstop. What more do you think Johnson wants at this point?

She hasn't said that. She has said it is up to the UK to suggest alternatives. That has been the EU line all along.

Not quite. They've been very clear recently that the Withdrawal Agreement couldn't be re-opened. That seems to have been relaxed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Apparently
    David, They have limited pocket money , we are too busy paying for Crossrail , HS2 etc to be able to have any cash to spend in Scotland. We have no say on immigration and are just ignored, same fishing industry that Tories gave away.
    There are plenty of problems, people understand that but we need our own money to decide which ones we want rather than bombs and missiles, HS2, Crossrail , bribes for DUP. Hard to do much with both hands tied behind your back. No way we could be any worse off on our own.
    The Scottish government budget is over £42bn. That's a lot of pocket money. And there are opportunities for Scotland (as well as threats) in respect of Brexit, principally in fishing but our government is so opposed to the idea that they think it better to continue to offer free education to EU citizens and free access to our hospitals than work out what can be done. Why are so few of the fish from Scottish waters landed and processed at Scottish ports? Outside the CFP we can do something about that.
    young Brooke lives in Edinburgh with his girlfriend who is French. She's doing a masters. Iwas amazed at how little the tuition cost because she's a European anyone from E\W\NI would be paying 5 times more
    Its bizarre and even more bizarre is Nicola's determination to continue it after Brexit to make some political point. At Edinburgh, in round terms there are 10k Scots, 10k rUK, 5K non Europeans (mainly Chinese) and 5K EU citizens. That means nearly half as much as is spent on funding Scots is being spent on EU citizens. I accept that Edinburgh is probably the extreme of that but if we are to have skilled Scottish workers in the future those 5k places have a better home.

Of course at the moment the 5K non Europeans and the 10k English are keeping the whole funding model going.
    You could hardly have chosen more extreme right enough David , and think of all the money those students are bringing to the economy and how many will stay behind and get jobs and improve our economy. Scotland is outward looking , trying to be progressive despite the chains of the UK and their xenophobic isolationist mantras. Mixing with these non Scottish people is also great for the Scottish students and the dating scene as well, stop being an old curmudgeon.
    :lol: You know that's complete balls Malcolm.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

I'm puzzled by the disparity between the Tories' 42% and the derisory 23% who favour No Deal, especially since No Deal appears to be the outcome Boris and his government are championing with relish. Might it be that Boris is still on probation, and people simply regard his No Deal rhetoric as an acceptable ruse to secure a deal? Dangerous if so - there are a lot of people out there being groomed for disappointment and, dare I say it, a sense of betrayal.

This is the most sensible explanation I have seen to explain why anybody who is not in the 23% no deal group would support the Tory’s. They believe no deal is project fear to make the EU give way and also that Johnson said it was a one in a million chance that we leave without a deal. If and when chickens come home to roost and we are in the aftermath of a bad no deal then they will be lucky to poll 23%
    I think they’ll do a little better than that, but the crucial element that there are theoretical deal supporters who will be disappointed and that will have an impact is a relevant one.
    I think you are all missing the main point. Boris can disappoint no deal supporters with a no deal.

Brexit means Brexit. Leave means taking back control. A Britain that is better, stronger, fitter because it is a Global Britain. Where Nhs and education spending, defence spending thrives because of the extra money the brexit dividend freed up. Problems with immigration, integration, foreigners causing housing crisis and taking our jobs become a thing of the past. A future outside where households getting poorer was justa myth of remains project fear. Rust belt communities forgotten and left behind will no longer be forgotten and left behind, because deindustrialisation and globalisation is at bay to global Britain, our democracy stronger our government with extra money to invest in those communities. No more courts thwarting government policy and government deportations. A Global Britain where left wing “corbynsta” style governments don’t win elections let alone thriveon infinitely more power freed from shackles of pro business anti-monopoly EU regulation.

Schopenhauer may be behind the short-termism of British politics. There is no such thing as happiness. You desire something. You attain it. You feel satisfied for a short while (the moment the iron is hot for an election) and you desire something else.

Following a natural course, over time Brexit can disappoint a great many leavers of all kinds.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

There is a significant section of the Evangelical base who consider Trump to be the literal fulfilment of prophecy signifying the final battle of the End Times leading to the Second Coming and Judgment Day.
    In the past few days, he has tried to buy Greenland, and declared himself the King of Israel and now the Chosen One.
    Anybody else and there would be a psychiatric intervention. I do not agree with diagnosing others with deteriorating mental health. But there are surely red flags for those who are qualified to do so.

people have been making wild accusations against Trump for years, he hasnt started world war three, or sold his soul to Putin or started mass ethnic cleansing despite all the shouting.

He plays the opposition by letting fly at their sacred cows and they drool like Pavlovian dogs every time he does.
    No. It is precisely because his recent outbursts aren't that that is worrying me.
    Now he's upset that the PM of Denmark was nasty to him.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1164216906141720577
  • Options

What is the Trump buying Greenland thing? Why does he want it?

Oil and gas in the polar regions. Look how the Russians are laying claim to undersea regions north of them.
    Not to mention the military and strategic significance of the Country. The US has woken up rather late to this. I think Truman once made an enquiry, but not much US interest since.

It actually makes sense and you can see that for Danes and Greenlanders the overtures might be welcome, but not under this President.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    edited August 2019

As I always say when HS2 comes up, I want two storey trains instead. I am always told we don't have the right gage, but there's plenty of room if we use the space below the platform as with this Australian beauty:

They could come in red like London buses. It could be something you do when you come to the UK. Get on the red train and go somewhere exciting. Imagine the sleeper cars you could do.

Sydney double deck trains: 14 ft 4.5 in

Best British loading gauge: 13 ft 1 in

That doesn't quite work.
  • Options
    RobD said:

As I always say when HS2 comes up, I want two storey trains instead. I am always told we don't have the right gage, but there's plenty of room if we use the space below the platform as with this Australian beauty:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HgQM_v3mln0

They could come in red like London buses. It could be something you do when you come to the UK. Get on the red train and go somewhere exciting. Imagine the sleeper cars you could do.

Isn't there a problem with low bridges, even for trains like this?
    I don't believe so but I researched it and could not find a definitive answer.

I do know that the UK used to run a two storey train, but the 1st floor was not a full height floor. But that didn't use the space adjoining the wheels like this one. I am positive that two full levels could be fitted in the appropriate height with this clever design.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    edited August 2019

Barnesian said:

On the Kantar poll it does seem an outlier but since Boris was elected there has only been 1 poll with a labour lead and that at only 1%

Furthermore from media interviews with the public there does seem to be a view to get it finished and Boris optimism contrasts sharply with labour's misery and all doom and gloom

As I have commented a couple of times recently this forum is at times aggressive, intolerant, and nasty coming from both sides and for those of us who voted remain but want to leave because of democracy we despair.

I think Boris is following a strategy of being reasonable with the EU, publishing his correspondence, and generally his expectations of a deal are very much a part of showing the EU as the bad guys and it may just be working.

However, it is clear that he either hopes the HOC prevents a no deal or he is gambling on a last minute deal when the clock ticks towards 11.00pm on the 31st October

Ship

I agree. I have contacts in the EU Commission and they are definitely assuming and planning for No Deal (as is France apparently). I suspect that Johnson will get the same message from Merkel. They are not going to blink. The EU27 are much better prepared than the UK for No Deal and less at risk anyway. Why on earth would they blink?

I suspect that Johnson will come back from his trip thinking "Crikey. My big bluff is not going to work." He'll try to blame Hammond et al for undermining the UK position and reluctantly extend to allow time for a GE.
    If you were to write an instruction manual for Johnson on how to destroy his Premiership from this position it would consist of these two steps.

1. Request an Article 50 extension.
    2. Then hold a general election.

Sometimes people do end up acting contrary to their best personal interests, but my guess is that this will not be an example.

Johnson will either lead us into no deal, or fight an election after a caretaker government has prevented him from doing so.

Totally agree. There is no way on earth that Johnson will volunteer to ask for an extension to Article 50. It would be the end of him. There is also now no conceivable deal that can be agreed between the EU and the UK. There will be a No Deal Brexit unless MPs find a way to prevent one, which is extremely unlikely.

In thinking and writing this morning that No Deal plus No Hard Border effectively meant that something very much like the Backstop would have to rapidly come into effect I wondered. Is that Boris's plan? To effectively reconstruct as much of the the WA as possible through mini deals in the weeks after Brexit. To row back on citizens rights. To reconstruct the Backstop. To agree the 39bn p(and the rest) piece by piece as No Deal unfolds..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

GERS deficits.
    snip

Well, possibly. But if you calculated only London (population 7,000) or all of Greater London except the Square Mile...would you get a different result?

Similarly, in some of the other regions - the South West probably breaks about even, but if you just calculated for Bristol and Bath it would be a surplus.

Or perhaps, in the case of Scotland, the deficit would be less if you got rid of Ayrshire (sorry Malcolm!) and the Western Isles, while it would surely be a surplus for Fife and Aberdeen.

The point I am making here is that at some level, all regions are artificial constructs. There will be places in deficit and in surplus within all of them. The reason why Scotland and Northern Ireland are important at this moment is because of the independence/separation movements within them for those tax gathering areas which have to address issues around funding if they are to advance their agenda.

That's not to say they couldn't address those problems, just that they pose questions that need answering.
    Ydoethur , getting rid of two beautiful areas and keeping two dumps, how could that be beneficial.
    Well, hopefully no proud Scot would consider it (although Trump might make an offer, of course).

But financially...
  • Options

Barnesian said:

On the Kantar poll it does seem an outlier but since Boris was elected there has only been 1 poll with a labour lead and that at only 1%

Furthermore from media interviews with the public there does seem to be a view to get it finished and Boris optimism contrasts sharply with labour's misery and all doom and gloom

As I have commented a couple of times recently this forum is at times aggressive, intolerant, and nasty coming from both sides and for those of us who voted remain but want to leave because of democracy we despair.

I think Boris is following a strategy of being reasonable with the EU, publishing his correspondence, and generally his expectations of a deal are very much a part of showing the EU as the bad guys and it may just be working.

However, it is clear that he either hopes the HOC prevents a no deal or he is gambling on a last minute deal when the clock ticks towards 11.00pm on the 31st October.

If we arrive a day or two before deadlocked, I expect him to seek an extension and that will be the biggest danger to his poll ratings and premiership

I agree. I have contacts in the EU Commission and they are definitely assuming and planning for No Deal (as is France apparently). I suspect that Johnson will get the same message from Merkel. They are not going to blink. The EU27 are much better prepared than the UK for No Deal and less at risk anyway. Why on earth would they blink?

I suspect that Johnson will come back from his trip thinking "Crikey. My big bluff is not going to work." He'll try to blame Hammond et al for undermining the UK position and reluctantly extend to allow time for a GE.
    What makes you think the ROEU is better prepared than we are? Lazy assumption it seems to me.
    The nature of what they're preparing for is several orders of magnitude more straightforward, so even if neither side had done any preparation, the EU27 would still be better prepared.
    I don't entirely take your point, but regardless, the OP covered that with 'less affected'. He then asserted that they were also better prepared, and I'd like to know why he thinks that is the case.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Can they handle leaves on the line, wrong kind of snow and melting tracks more importantly
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    Thanks for that info. I think that means the desisgn could be adapted quite successfully. It's just over a foot to take off.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Can they handle leaves on the line, wrong kind of snow and melting tracks more importantly
    No worse than any of our other trains!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    Thanks for that info. I think that means the desisgn could be adapted quite successfully. It's just over a foot to take off.
    Lol: Passenger height limit of 5'6" ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

GERS deficits.
    snip

Well, hopefully no proud Scot would consider it (although Trump might make an offer, of course).

But financially...
    WE will get more renting England the submarine base
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    Tall people can just bend over a bit, serves them right the barstewards, probably have full heads of hair as well and all their own teeth
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    She's changed her position. She's said she's willing to discuss alternatives to the backstop. What more do you think Johnson wants at this point?

She hasn't said that. She has said it is up to the UK to suggest alternatives. That has been the EU line all along.

Not quite. They've been very clear recently that the Withdrawal Agreement couldn't be re-opened. That seems to have been relaxed.
    Of course the Withdrawal Agreement can be reopened.

At the time, many EU Members believed it was too generous to the UK. The EU now has the opportunity to seek better terms. It has much less to lose than the UK from a No Deal so it can apply plenty of pressure and if it doesn't work, no matter.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Barnesian said:

However, it is clear that he either hopes the HOC prevents a no deal or he is gambling on a last minute deal when the clock ticks towards 11.00pm on the 31st October.

If we arrive a day or two before deadlocked, I expect him to seek an extension and that will be the biggest danger to his poll ratings and premiership

What makes you think the ROEU is better prepared than we are? Lazy assumption it seems to me.
    The nature of what they're preparing for is several orders of magnitude more straightforward, so even if neither side had done any preparation, the EU27 would still be better prepared.
    I don't entirely take your point, but regardless, the OP covered that with 'less affected'. He then asserted that they were also better prepared, and I'd like to know why he thinks that is the case.
    I think it’s because they and many multi nationals started planning even before the referendum and gathered momentum post the result. The U.K. has deluded itself whilst arguing with itself that we held all the cards and is now faced 71 days out with whatever happens. I don’t know but I can understand why the would be better prepared.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

Barnesian said:

They started much earlier than the UK. The potential damage to the EU is less than to the UK so it is easier for them to prepare for it. What makes you think he EU is less prepared than we are?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    No - it means in a best case scenario there is just over a foot to take off. Most lines are about 9 inches less in terms of head room.

If you want to know how restrictive our loading gauge is, ponder this story:

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2018-08-06/campaigners-win-battle-but-at-what-cost/

And reflect on the fact the Great Western mainline, having been built for the broad gauge, has some of the most generous headroom in the country.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

They started much earlier than the UK. The potential damage to the EU is less than to the UK so it is easier for them to prepare for it. What makes you think he EU is less prepared than we are?
    Look at it this way: if Spain were due to leave the EU with No Deal at the end of October, how worried would people be about the UK's state of preparation?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited August 2019

Jeepers creepers. Has HY seen the YouGov Scottish sub-sample? I’m sure he’ll be copying and pasting it for months to come.

SNP 47%
    SCon 20%
    SLD 13%
    SLab 11%
    Bxp 8%
    Grn 2%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g82fatejnj/TheTimes_190814_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

BoZo the Clown is a genius.

Even that poll does not contradict what I have said, the Tories are on 20%+ in every poll result from Scotland so far ie still well above 2015 levels and I notice the SNP are still below 2015 levels even on this poll too.

The biggest decline again is with Slab (now down to just 11%) NOT the SCons so nothing in this poll at all to contradict what I have been saying
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Look at it this way: if Spain were due to leave the EU with No Deal at the end of October, how worried would people be about the UK's state of preparation?
    The rest of the EU, Spain etc are a distraction.

There is only one nation in the EU that matters. If Ireland holds firm, the EU holds firm. If Ireland blinks, the EU blinks, as the backstop is only there at the request of the Irish.

The question that matters is do the Irish want no deal? Are the Irish prepared for no deal? And if they are then why do we need a backstop anyway?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:
    Is she seated due to her recent wobbliness?
    What an arse. We’ll see how you cope with being old.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Scott_P said:

Of course the Withdrawal Agreement can be reopened.

At the time, many EU Members believed it was too generous to the UK. The EU now has the opportunity to seek better terms. It has much less to lose than the UK from a No Deal so it can apply plenty of pressure and if it doesn't work, no matter.

The word all along was that it couldn't, not "of course".

Asking for alternatives is a first step to finding an alternative. It is progress.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

Jeepers creepers. Has HY seen the YouGov Scottish sub-sample? I’m sure he’ll be copying and pasting it for months to come.

SNP 47%
    SCon 20%
    SLD 13%
    SLab 11%
    Bxp 8%
    Grn 2%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g82fatejnj/TheTimes_190814_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

Even that poll does not contradict what I have said, the Tories are on 20%+ in every poll result from Scotland so far ie still well above 2015 levels and I notice the SNP are still below 2015 levels even on this poll too.

The biggest decline again is with Slab (now down to just 11%) NOT the SCons so nothing in this poll at all to contradict what I have been saying
    Er... what are you on about??

You’ve been telling us for months now that BoZo the Clown will hang on to approx half of Davidson’s 13 seats. This poll has you on 2 seats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SNP 47%
    SCon 20%
    SLD 13%
    SLab 11%
    Bxp 8%
    Grn 2%

Think they will settle for over 50 out of 59 MP's.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Parliament will be able to get rid of Johnson in 11 days time should it choose.

How can EU commissioners be got rid of?
    The European Parliament can get rid of them by a vote of confidence, so pretty much the same way.
    Only the whole Commission, and not an individual commissioner. A much higher bar, I would have thought.
    Don't we only have VONCs of the whole government? I don't remember them for individual ministers.
    And I wanted to be really cheeky, I'd point out there is no way for the legislature in the US to get rid of US Cabinet Ministers either.
  • Options
    Well that ends serious discussion now that some have had dinner and are out to play.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    edited August 2019

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Now he's upset that the PM of Denmark was nasty to him.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1164216906141720577
    It shows what a sheltered life the old git has led.

“Fuck off, you fat orange git” might just about qualify as nasty.

It will be interesting to see what he might make of being primaried...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-critics-eye-gop-primary-race-even-if-defeating-him-seems-preposterous/2019/08/20/4382f3dc-c360-11e9-b72f-b31dfaa77212_story.html
  • Options
    Tories now lead in London today with Yougov on 29% with the LDs on 28% and Labour third on 25%, the Tories also lead in the Midlands and Wales and the South with the LDs also ahead of Labour on each of those regions and Labour now 4th in Scotland too (though Labour do lead in the North)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/20/voting-intention-con-30-lab-21-lib-dem-20-brex-14-
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

The Scottish government budget is over £42bn. That's a lot of pocket money. And there are opportunities for Scotland (as well as threats) in respect of Brexit, principally in fishing but our government is so opposed to the idea that they think it better to continue to offer free education to EU citizens and free access to our hospitals than work out what can be done. Why are so few of the fish from Scottish waters landed and processed at Scottish ports? Outside the CFP we can do something about that.
    young Brooke lives in Edinburgh with his girlfriend who is French. She's doing a masters. Iwas amazed at how little the tuition cost because she's a European anyone from E\W\NI would be paying 5 times more
    Its bizarre and even more bizarre is Nicola's determination to continue it after Brexit to make some political point. At Edinburgh, in round terms there are 10k Scots, 10k rUK, 5K non Europeans (mainly Chinese) and 5K EU citizens. That means nearly half as much as is spent on funding Scots is being spent on EU citizens. I accept that Edinburgh is probably the extreme of that but if we are to have skilled Scottish workers in the future those 5k places have a better home.

Of course at the moment the 5K non Europeans and the 10k English are keeping the whole funding model going.
    You could hardly have chosen more extreme right enough David , and think of all the money those students are bringing to the economy and how many will stay behind and get jobs and improve our economy. Scotland is outward looking , trying to be progressive despite the chains of the UK and their xenophobic isolationist mantras. Mixing with these non Scottish people is also great for the Scottish students and the dating scene as well, stop being an old curmudgeon.
    I’ve no problem with foreign students Malcolm. Education is an important export industry for us. But they should pay for it, just like the English.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HYUFD said:

SNP 47%
    SCon 20%
    SLD 13%
    SLab 11%
    Bxp 8%
    Grn 2%

KIng of the Scottish subsamples dissing someone else.. Look in the mirror Mr Dickson
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SNP 47%
    SCon 20%
    SLD 13%
    SLab 11%
    Bxp 8%
    Grn 2%

Er... what are you on about??

You’ve been telling us for months now that BoZo the Clown will hang on to approx half of Davidson’s 13 seats. This poll has you on 2 seats.
    3 actually and still above the 1 seat they got in 2015 and Tories doing better in Scotland than at every general election from 1997 to 2017 in both voteshare and seats.

Meanwhile for the SNP still failing to even match pre Brexit 2015 levels is still not great news for Sturgeon given Brexit was supposedly a game changer for independence.

On the latest Yougov today the Unionist parties combined are on 52% (combining the Tories, LDs, Labour and the Brexit Party) and the Nationalist parties only on 49% combined (combining the SNP and Greens)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    Tall people can just bend over a bit, serves them right the barstewards, probably have full heads of hair as well and all their own teeth
    Haha - suits me, I'm a wheelchair user! :smile: Assuming there is some space inside by the doors before you have to go up or downstairs the carriages look great - level access, no more farting about trying to find someone to put a ramp out.

No doubt with our hyper efficient competitive franchise system, rail companies will be queuing up to invest in these carriages in ...er, no time very soon.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    edited August 2019
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Parliament will be able to get rid of Johnson in 11 days time should it choose.

How can EU commissioners be got rid of?
    The European Parliament can get rid of them by a vote of confidence, so pretty much the same way.
    Only the whole Commission, and not an individual commissioner. A much higher bar, I would have thought.
    Don't we only have VONCs of the whole government? I don't remember them for individual ministers.
    And I wanted to be really cheeky, I'd point out there is no way for the legislature in the US to get rid of US Cabinet Ministers either.
    Is that true ?
    While the constitution does not define what a “civil office of the US” is, it’s generally accepted that includes presidential appointed “principal officers”, and they therefore may be impeached.
  • Options
    Why is ch4 allowed to broadcast all these reasonable local government officials claiming they can’t cope with no deal, did they not get the memo that everything will be fine if you remain positive.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

GERS deficits.
    snip

The ONS have published some experimental statistics. https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/countryandregionalpublicsectorfinances/financialyearending2018

The North West Region appears to have the biggest deficit.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Why is ch4 allowed to broadcast all these reasonable local government officials claiming they can’t cope with no deal, did they not get the memo that everything will be fine if you remain positive.

The new Brexiteer slogan is "No Deal, No Problem, Their Fault".
  • Options
    StuartDickson: This poll has you on 2 seats.

HYUFD: 3 actually

I really do not know what to say!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

GERS deficits.
    snip

The ONS have published some experimental statistics. https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/countryandregionalpublicsectorfinances/financialyearending2018

The North West Region appears to have the biggest deficit.
    Including Manchester and Liverpool?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    ydoethur said:

Evening folks.
    Every silver lining has a cloud. Tories down to the 2 seats. No, 3, actually.

Proves my point.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Evening folks.
    Every silver lining has a cloud. Tories down to the 2 seats. No, 3, actually.

Proves my point.
    300% more than when they won a majority, so obviously a sign they're on course for a landslide.
  • Options
    :D:):s:|o:)

And now I've got your attention:

NEW THREAD
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Boris ought to respond to Merkel's 30-day offer with a thousand very slightly different variations on a theme. If the Commission is looking to solve the problem, then this plan should find the solution, or at least iterate damn close to one. If, as I suspect, the Commission wants the backstop simply to tie the UK's hands during transition, then nothing will be accepted and it will all be described as 'fantasy' and 'cake'. Boris then gets all the ammo he needs to blame the EU for no-deal:

"Look, it's ah, it's well it's simple really. May and Barnier struck, ah, they cooked up a deal and Parliament had three votes on it and as as as as you know it was voted down. So we looked for an alternative and we offered them alternatives, you know , more alternatives than you can shake a stick at, and they were all turned down. So if you wanted a Brexit deal and you haven't got one you have to ah you have to blame the remained in Parliament and you have to blame the EU. And ah not, erm, as it were, me. Wahh!"
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited August 2019

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    The usual UK loading gauge just isn't sufficient for actual bi-level cars. The nearest we came is the Bullied 4DDs which, as you can see from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2K0TP1lxM

were actually interleaved and very cramped, even for the day.

That said, I believe the loading gauge on some lines is a bit more generous and a true bi-level might be possible with a relatively small amount of rebuilding, IIRC the south-west lines out of Waterloo are a candidate.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I don't. I asked you to back up your sloppy assertion and you failed to do so.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

I think the difference is simply one of scale. We're going from checking 50% of our imported products to 100% - a doubling of effort, while they're going from 45% to 52%.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,070
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

That doesn't quite work.
    The usual UK loading gauge just isn't sufficient for actual bi-level cars. The nearest we came is the Bullied 4DDs which, as you can see from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2K0TP1lxM

were actually interleaved and very cramped, even for the day.

That said, I believe the loading gauge on some lines is a bit more generous and a true bi-level might be possible with a relatively small amount of rebuilding, IIRC the south-west lines out of Waterloo are a candidate.
    As well as the issue with loading gauge, there is a massive operational issue with double decker trains. Railways are all about pathing (the number of trains you can get through on a given line), and every station that is stopped at reduces the paths available unless you have separate lines for them ('slow lines'). Stopping trains have to decelerate, get passengers off (the 'dwell time') and then accelerate to line speed.

Double-decker trains increase the dwell time considerably, as people on the upper deck cannot get down quickly. If there are frequent station stops, then the dwell time increases to the extent you might as well fit an extra normal train path in.

Hence if you are going to update the infrastructure, it is far more cost-effective to increase platform lengths to allow longer trains (which do not effect dwell time) than to go for double-deckers.
  • Options

RobD said:

I don't believe so but I researched it and could not find a definitive answer.

I do know that the UK used to run a two storey train, but the 1st floor was not a full height floor. But that didn't use the space adjoining the wheels like this one. I am positive that two full levels could be fitted in the appropriate height with this clever mdesign.
    @JosiasJessop wrote about this at length in the past. There have been double decker trains in the UK (briefly), but the problem was that to get under bridges you needed to have the go very low. And this means that you need to have lots of stair to enable people to get to platform level. The space for the stairs meant the capacity increase was smaller than you might think.
This discussion has been closed.