Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Former White House Coms Director predicts Trump will quit WH20

12346»

Comments

• Options
    nichomar said:

algarkirk said:

eek said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

dixiedean said:

Boris and Priti lining up another hostage to fortune re ending free movement overnight.
    The deadline for applications for settled status is December. How many trust the Home Office to process the applications in an efficient, orderly, fair and consistent manner? Hands up? How many expect to see landlords, employers and employees tied up in the Courts for months and years?

What an utter shambles.
    This proposal is a complete breach of the very clear promise made by the official Leave campaign during the referendum. So yet another example of them trying to do something for which they have no mandate.

Why isn’t the press picking them up on this?
    The Leave campaign said there wouldn’t be an end to freedom of movement? Or that it wouldn’t affect the people already in the UK?
    They stated that we wouldn't be leaving without a deal.
    When people voted in the referendum they knew that after two years we left with or without a deal and that any extra time was not in the UKs gift. You cannot have voted leave without embracing the possibility of no deal. It is a logical impossibility.

From conversations I’ve had with reasonably intelligent people

1. They didn’t realize the NI border would be an issue
    2. They had never heard of article 50
    3. They believed that there were going to be no issues when we left because that’s what they chose to believe
    4. The Daily Mail said it was all going to be wonderful.
    To be fair, I didn't think of 1. Nor did I think of Gibraltar, or the break-up of the Union.

I also thought the immediate impact of the vote would be more serious than it was.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

Off topic, the latest video doesn't look good for Randy Andy, does it?

Depends whether you believe in guilt by association or not.

It’s very poor judgment. Don’t the Royals have oodles of advisors? Couldn’t one of them have said: “Your mate is a convicted sex offender. For the good of the monarchy, your Mum, if nothing else, don’t go and visit him.”

Or was he told and didn’t listen?

This stuff is not difficult. You don’t need much of a brain to work it out, surely?
    Well, no.

However, we are talking about Prince Andrew here.
    Yes I know. He’s as thick as a plank. But the people around him? He was visiting the US in his capacity as Ambassador for Trade or something. He would not have been on his own. There will have been Royal Protection officers and FCO or DTI-wallahs with him. No-one knew or said anything, did they?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

It’s very poor judgment. Don’t the Royals have oodles of advisors? Couldn’t one of them have said: “Your mate is a convicted sex offender. For the good of the monarchy, your Mum, if nothing else, don’t go and visit him.”

This stuff is not difficult. You don’t need much of a brain to work it out, surely?
    Some people think they can get away with just about anything because of who they are.

Shall we compile a little list of names?
    On my list of British people who have done some of the most harm in the last 20 years will be one (ex) Dr Andrew Wakefield.

In a sane world he would be shunned and having to pick up litter with his bare hands to earn a living not being feted and fawned over by super-models and credulous and/or worried parents.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    New thread!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited August 2019
    Charles said:

MattW said:

Worth noting that all insulins are not equivalent, as we see in this cautionary tale:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1158807466383159296?s=19
    I’d also point out that OTC insulin is * a different product *

He was prescribed insulin analogue - synthetic - and chose to take something else.

There’s a reason why most insulin is synthetic.
    Yes .. ish. There is also a reason by human insulin is still available, apart from cost. Reactions can be unpredictable, which is why porcine insulin is still available too.

The original piece linked stated that he changed at the suggestion of a Doctor:

"He began rationing his pricey prescription, before a doctor recommended taking ReliOn, an over-the-counter brand sold for $25 a vial at Walmart."

Very much agree with the comments on diabetes costs of $1000 per month, though perhaps only half of that is insulin. Syringes seem very expensive.

Dr Fox is right on the costs.

The insulin cost in the US is a number of times that paid by the Local Doctor here, based on the BNF numbers for the same product. Very rough estimate based on the last time I looked it up would be half an order of magnitude. Even the cheaper one is getting on for 2-3 times. Syringes are not dissimilar - I could buy them of Amazon at about a third of the price quoted, should I not use a prescription.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

dixiedean said:

Boris and Priti lining up another hostage to fortune re ending free movement overnight.
    The deadline for applications for settled status is December. How many trust the Home Office to process the applications in an efficient, orderly, fair and consistent manner? Hands up? How many expect to see landlords, employers and employees tied up in the Courts for months and years?

What an utter shambles.
    This proposal is a complete breach of the very clear promise made by the official Leave campaign during the referendum. So yet another example of them trying to do something for which they have no mandate.

Why isn’t the press picking them up on this?
    The Leave campaign said there wouldn’t be an end to freedom of movement? Or that it wouldn’t affect the people already in the UK?
    They stated that we wouldn't be leaving without a deal.
    When people voted in the referendum they knew that after two years we left with or without a deal and that any extra time was not in the UKs gift. You cannot have voted leave without embracing the possibility of no deal. It is a logical impossibility.

How many leave voters do you think had heard of Article 50 before the referendum, let alone read it?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Punter, I hesitated for a long time in the polling booth, because I also thought the immediate consequences (whilst not as bad as Osborne's portents of doom) would be far worse.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013
    Cyclefree said:

AndyJS said:

You hit the nail on the head at the end there, you need some brains in your head at least.
This discussion has been closed.