Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blind to justice

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    TGOHF said:
    Will they include Anne Widdecombe and Priti Patel?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

ONTopicish

I'll be against tuition fees when someone explains how this makes a difference at all when your rent still has to be paid for.

The Tuition Fees debate charade just keeps the working classes in their place

Tuition Fees - first introduced by the Glorious Labour Party in 1998.
    Yes and famously tripled by or something by the Coalition.

Speaking as someone without a degree - I'm all for them.

Why should an Asda worker have to pay for the higher education of the mainly middle class?
    Beacuse they will spend their working lives paying more in tax thanks to earning higher wages.
  • Options
    Checked my Brewer and Collins for any mention of pussy grabbing hubris - could find none FTR. Perhaps it's a translation from the original greek - Is Ishmael, like Boris, a Classics graduate.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

ONTopicish

I'll be against tuition fees when someone explains how this makes a difference at all when your rent still has to be paid for.

Accomodation fees were paid out of a student's Maintenance Grant when I was a student in the mid- 1970s . I believe that continued to be the case until the 1990s.
  • Options

ONTopicish

Why should an Asda worker have to pay for the higher education of the mainly middle class?
    Beacuse they will spend their working lives paying more in tax thanks to earning higher wages.
    Yes I have heard this argument before - it's like a spit in the face of the working classes
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sean_F said:

Anne Widdecombe is not an MP.

They should include Theresa May though...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:
    93% of social care staff are not from the EU and any that are will have the right to remain. What's the big deal?
    But 7% are. And it is a sector which already has problems with retention and recruitment.
    Also, there is this little demographic challenge, the figures based on current rates of immigration:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/978302412363624448?s=19

I think as a compromise we should stipulate that all MPs should have a degree in a STEM subject together with a degree in PPE.

Now where would you find someone to meet that specification?

Henry Marsh?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/30/do-no-harm-stories-brain-surgery-review-henry-marsh
  • Options

Charles said:

I think as a compromise we should stipulate that all MPs should have a degree in a STEM subject together with a degree in PPE.

My brother studied Engineering, Economics and Management - a joint discipline between the Engineering and PPE faculties. Required physics, chemistry and maths a-levels.

Would that qualify?
    If we are taliking about such things ....

Our glorious leader is "educated" in Classics. Is it possible to do a less relevant course for a career in the modern world? Being able to quote in Latin or Greek, ideas that are 2000 years old (many of which were plain wrong) is not exactly a sign of brilliance IMO
    It's extremely relevant to a career in the modern world.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

Look, it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with me. My point is that practioners of a subject are unlikely to be sceptical of it. Simply, it's in one's financial interest to find evidence that a chosen field is - how to put this - a good one, rather than a bad one.

Phrenologists went round looking for evidence that you could derive behaviour from the shape of the skull.
    I'm just trying to work out what you're getting at. Because you followed up your reference to phrenology with a statement that you weren't saying climate change wasn't real.

I'm just trying to work out what you are saying, if you're not saying that. That you doubt whether it's real, because you don't trust scientists, because they get paid?
    I believe that the earth is getting warmer. The evidence from NOAA seems pretty uncontravertible.
    Incontrovertible!

PS. You believe the earth is getting warmer? You mean like a religion or cult?

:naughty:
    The Earth was notably warmer when the dinosaurs were in charge. Not many of them about these days.....

(One for the syllogists among us)
    The place is swarming with the little buggers, they have just been rebadged. KFC is actually Kentucky Fried Dinosaur.

Butt if the syllogism you are looking for says that if it gets warm enough T Rexes will be roaming the streets, bring it on!
    The danger of syllogisms... ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

My brother studied Engineering, Economics and Management - a joint discipline between the Engineering and PPE faculties. Required physics, chemistry and maths a-levels.

Would that qualify?

Our glorious leader is "educated" in Classics. Is it possible to do a less relevant course for a career in the modern world? Being able to quote in Latin or Greek, ideas that are 2000 years old (many of which were plain wrong) is not exactly a sign of brilliance IMO
    Some would say that the ancient Greek philosophers basically nailed everything, and we've just been refining their work ever since.
    An understanding of hubris would have done a few of our bankers no end of good.
    Hubris hardly ever means hubris in that sense. The basic meaning of the word is male-on-female sexual violence. Pussy-grabbing in other words.
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

So IMO climate skepticism comes in 2 forms -

"It's happening and is a massive problem but the prognosis is more uncertain than those in the industry and the most ardent greens often imply".

"I don't like the sound of it, it's depressing, and I don't like the sort of people who bang on about it, and anyway from what I've read up it doesn't stack up."

First type is fine. Second type is softhead.

The real problem is it often goes beyond the second, and becomes a conspiracy theory about science.
    The tragedy is, I think you genuinely mean that. You believe that demanding proof of AGW is like demanding proof that Apollo 11 landed on the moon, or that terrorists blew up the twin towers.

Blair's "send everyone to university" nonsense has a lot to answer for.
    I think Hubris was mainly male/male.

The ultimate form of humiliation in the Ancient World was for one male to rape another, or even get his slaves to do so.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

Look, it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with me. My point is that practioners of a subject are unlikely to be sceptical of it. Simply, it's in one's financial interest to find evidence that a chosen field is - how to put this - a good one, rather than a bad one.

Phrenologists went round looking for evidence that you could derive behaviour from the shape of the skull.
    I'm just trying to work out what you're getting at. Because you followed up your reference to phrenology with a statement that you weren't saying climate change wasn't real.

I'm just trying to work out what you are saying, if you're not saying that. That you doubt whether it's real, because you don't trust scientists, because they get paid?
    I believe that the earth is getting warmer. The evidence from NOAA seems pretty uncontravertible.

My point is that the statement "xx% of climate scientists" is not one that carries much weight with me. Simply, show me the data, not a survey of a practioners who have a vested interest in their subject being true.
    Are you saying that if climate scientists were warning of a new ice age they wouldn’t get paid?
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

That would be true if it bore any relation to what a Classics course actually entails...
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Some would say that the ancient Greek philosophers basically nailed everything, and we've just been refining their work ever since.
    Some of the ancients' greatest triumphs.....

The Earth is flat, women have less teeth than men, eels do not reproduce and some people deserve to be slaves....

• Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

The Earth is flat, women have less teeth than men, eels do not reproduce and some people deserve to be slaves....

Funny how in the 3rd century BC Eratosthenes managed to calculate the circumference of a flat earth then...
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Have the ERG published a Manifesto?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    edited August 2019

Actually even the Ancient Greeks knew the world was round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

Edit: Actually this is a better one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

"The earliest reliably documented mention of the spherical Earth concept dates from around the 6th century BC when it appeared in ancient Greek philosophy, but remained a matter of speculation until the 3rd century BC, when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the Earth as a physical given and calculated Earth's circumference."
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Have the ERG published a Manifesto?
    No. They are suspicious of paper. Too modern...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

You sound like a pub bore.

The ancient Greek astronomers understood that the Earth was round.

Actually, when Greek civilisation was overthrown by Rome, it was a huge catastrophe.

Hipparchus was one of the greatest astronomers of all time. He showed that a stereographic projection is conformal. Euclid's proof of the infinity of prime numbers -- in its elegance and pithiness -- marks Greek science as a truly astonishing achievement.

It was to take a 1000 years before science recovered from the fall of Greece.

That is a measure of how great the Greek scientists were.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Scott_P said:
    I feel MPs are playing with fire here. The whole way constitutional government works is by both sides agreeing a common set of rules up front, and then funnelling policy arguments through those rules. If one side just makes rules on the fly to get what they want through, where does it end? How long will it be before the Speaker becomes a partisan position, appointed and fired by the majority of the day and making rules in their favour?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Funny how in the 3rd century BC Eratosthenes managed to calculate the circumference of a flat earth then...
    There are always exceptions but I doubt they teach Eratosthenes, Democritus, Aristarchus, Archimedes, Ptolomaeus, etc in the Classics. AIUI the courses are Plato :D and Aristotle and the history of Roman Emperors
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Actually, when Greek civilisation was overthrown by Rome, it was a huge catastrophe.

Hipparchus was one of the greatest astronomers of all time. He showed that a stereographic projection is conformal. Euclid's proof of the infinity of prime numbers -- in its elegance and pithiness -- marks Greek science as a truly astonishing achievement.

Yes, well what a pity that none of THOSE greeks are included in the "Classics"
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Most sailors understood that the earth was curved at least. Why else could you see ships masts for a while after the ship itself had sunk below the horizon.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665

blueblue said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

There are always exceptions but I doubt they teach Eratosthenes, Democritus, Aristarchus, Archimedes, Ptolomaeus, etc in the Classics. AIUI the courses are Plato :D and Aristotle and the history of Roman Emperors
    They do study rhetoric and tyrants though.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

That would be true if it bore any relation to what a Classics course actually entails...
    Enlighten us then...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Gabs2 said:

I feel MPs are playing with fire here. The whole way constitutional government works is by both sides agreeing a common set of rules up front, and then funnelling policy arguments through those rules. If one side just makes rules on the fly to get what they want through, where does it end?

Indeed.

If a PM flouts the convention that they don't resign having lost a vote of confidence, where does it end...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857
    edited August 2019
    Evening all :)

As it's fairly quiet, one or two notes from the current European polling.

Austria: Little change with the OVP still enjoying a huge lead over both the SPD and the FPO who are both languishing around 20%. Interesting to see both NEOS and the Greens on 10% so perhaps some different coalition permutations may be in play after the election on September 29th.

Poland: elections here on October 13th. The Law & Justice Party of Prime Minister Morawiecki is polling 45% so would enjoy a comfortable majority in the Sejm on those numbers, The opposition Civic Platform is on 27% with the Social Democrats on 15%.

Romania: elections here likely at the end of 2020 or early 2021. The conservative National Liberals are on 31% while the Social Democrats have lost half their 2016 vote and trail with 24%. The new party on the Bucharest block is A2020 or USR which is effectively Romania's En Marche and has 20% in the polls.

Germany: The latest Emnid poll stretches the CDU/CSU lead over the Greens to four points (26/22) with AfD and the SPD tied on 14%. This contradicts a Forsa poll putting the CDU/CSU only one point ahead (26/25) with AfD on 13% and SPD on 12%.

Italy: The Northern League under Salvini continues to dominate with a 15 point lead over the Social Democrats (38-23) and M5S trailing on 17%.

Portugal: Voting here takes place on October 6th and the incumbent Government of Antonio Costa looks on course for a big win. The Socialist poll lead is around 13-15 points (roughly 37-22) with the Left Bloc on 10%.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Q
    stodge said:

Austria: Little change with the OVP still enjoying a huge lead over both the SPD and the FPO who are both languishing around 20%. Interesting to see both NEOS and the Greens on 10% so perhaps some different coalition permutations may be in play after the election on September 29th.

Poland: elections here on October 13th. The Law & Justice Party of Prime Minister Morawiecki is polling 45% so would enjoy a comfortable majority in the Sejm on those numbers, The opposition Civic Platform is on 27% with the Social Democrats on 15%.

Romania: elections here likely at the end of 2020 or early 2021. The conservative National Liberals are on 31% while the Social Democrats have lost half their 2016 vote and trail with 24%. The new party on the Bucharest block is A2020 or USR which is effectively Romania's En Marche and has 20% in the polls.

Germany: The latest Emnid poll stretches the CDU/CSU lead over the Greens to four points (26/22) with AfD and the SPD tied on 14%. This contradicts a Forsa poll putting the CDU/CSU only one point ahead (26/25) with AfD on 13% and SPD on 12%.

Italy: The Northern League under Salvini continues to dominate with a 15 point lead over the Social Democrats (38-23) and M5S trailing on 17%.

Portugal: Voting here takes place on October 6th and the incumbent Government of Antonio Costa looks on course for a big win. The Socialist poll lead is around 13-15 points (roughly 37-22) with the Left Bloc on 10%.

I though the Lega gave up being Northern quite some time ago?
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

You have changed your argument.

You gave a list of "Some of the ancients' greatest triumphs....."

We (collectively) have pointed out that your list is garbage.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:
    It is so bloody typical that the Greens respond to the only way to stop No Deal or a terrorist backing bigot as PM by needlessly making it a gender war thing.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

ONTopicish

Yes I have heard this argument before - it's like a spit in the face of the working classes
    It isn't that much of a spit in the face of the working classes. I got free university education, my sister left school at 16 and still lives on the council estate we grew up on. Yes I've paid more taxes, but I've also been a lot more productive and have ended up employing people and bringing in export earnings for the country. But that wasn't a gift. I had to work hard to get in in the first place, to get a good degree while there and to turn that knowledge into a means to turn a coin. My sister has had a much easier time of it. We've made different choices. I don't look down on her, and she doesn't resent me. If we make access to education easier for people from all backgrounds we have a fairer and more open society, but we also have a more competitive one on the world stage.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

My point is that the statement "xx% of climate scientists" is not one that carries much weight with me. Simply, show me the data, not a survey of a practioners who have a vested interest in their subject being true.
    Are you saying that if climate scientists were warning of a new ice age they wouldn’t get paid?
    Any climate scientist who could show that burning fossil fuels is not causing climate change would become an instant millionaire, courtesy of a grateful fossil fuel industry!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gabs2 said:

I feel MPs are playing with fire here. The whole way constitutional government works is by both sides agreeing a common set of rules up front, and then funnelling policy arguments through those rules. If one side just makes rules on the fly to get what they want through, where does it end?

Indeed.

If a PM flouts the convention that they don't resign having lost a vote of confidence, where does it end...
    It is my understanding the convention is that the PM must either resign or have a general election after a no confidence vote. I don't think that is being broken.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?
    Economics isn't a science.

[ducks]
    Engineering is though (it includes both physical and chemical engineering)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

blueblue said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Why does Plato get a laugh, out of interest? Perhaps a lol at his hilarious misconception that there is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality? And I don't think either he or Aristotle thought that women could conceive and give birth without sexual impregnation - a much bigger howler than the tooth thing, I'd have thought, and both issues on which our society has managed to be plain wrong for a couple of millennia.

But we definitely have faster cars and a wider range of social media than they did, if that's the kind of level at which you want to argue.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Q

stodge said:

Speculative question. Could the SNP do what the (Northern) League has done?

Could it transform itself from a secessionist party to a UK national party?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,795

ONTopicish

Because it is/was the only/quickest way that the children of the working-class could become middle-class. Back in the day of heavy industry, where a working class job had a non-trivial chance of actually getting you killed or deformed (nowadays, amputations are limited to military personnel: it wasn't always thus), it was the best chance of an uplift and several working-class parents sweated blood to make it happen.

Back then, funding came from grants: you got money from the local council or education board dependent on how much your parents earned. So poor children got all expenses paid including rent, fees and food, but middle-class children had to pay.

Blair (spit) decided that this wasn't good enough, and decided to turn universities to middle-class creches so that the children of Jocasta and Thomas could piss around doing history of art for three years between gap years before becoming an intern in Daddy's firm. Grants became history, tuition fees became big, then huge, and now poor kids are comprehensively fucked.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Why does Plato get a laugh, out of interest?
    Have you forgotten PB's very own Cat Lady?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    edited August 2019
    I've been mostly offline for a couple of days - has the YouGov constituency polling here (see the end of the article) already been discussed?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/10/lib-dems-target-tories-brexit-jo-swinson-election
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

But yes - I'll hedge with you Malky - 10 GBP ? Does Ptp still play in a role in this or has he retired?

I am happy to have it between you and I Briskin, I will send you a PM
    "between you and me"
    None of your fake English , between me and Briskin, but I am happy to have bet with you as well.
    It's "between you and me", even in Scottish Standard English!
    You say tomato , I will stick with potato. Suck it up https://genius.com/One-direction-you-and-i-lyrics
    "You and I" when both are subjects of a sentence. "You and me" when either or both are objects of a sentence.

Is it correct to say this?
    "Malcolm had a bet with you and I."

Or this?
    "Malcolm had a bet with you and me."

Briskin understood perfectly well
    You are still grammatically incorrect.
    Do I give a monkeys chuff?
    Just shows your lack of education.
    Hmmm, bet I earn multiple times what you do and not had a days unemployment in my life , so what does that say about your great education.
    nothing
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,626

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

The first three are bad science. Reading the philosophical justification for the last is interesting.
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

You have changed your argument.

You gave a list of "Some of the ancients' greatest triumphs....."

We (collectively) have pointed out that your list is garbage.
    "Some" indicates the list is incomplete...

I had forgotten the bone-headed pedantry of this place.
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?
    Close, but parliament has exacting standards!
    That’s lucky anyway. He’s busy working in the shop.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

blueblue said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

Why does Plato get a laugh, out of interest? Perhaps a lol at his hilarious misconception that there is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality? And I don't think either he or Aristotle thought that women could conceive and give birth without sexual impregnation - a much bigger howler than the tooth thing, I'd have thought, and both issues on which our society has managed to be plain wrong for a couple of millennia.

But we definitely have faster cars and a wider range of social media than they did, if that's the kind of level at which you want to argue.

Studying the Roman Emperors presumably includes who set the Empire up for success and who bungled their way to its collapse. I can't think of a better course for political leaders in the 2010s.

Whether Boris Johnson has actually internalized those matters is another question.
  • Options

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

TBF, Greats is a seriously tricky degree
  • Options

Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

Any climate scientist who could show that burning fossil fuels is not causing climate change would become an instant millionaire, courtesy of a grateful fossil fuel industry!
    Wouldnt happen, because he wouldn't achieve the status of credible climate scientist if he showed signs of believing that at any stage before attaining tenure (and that is not a conspiracy theory, it is just how academia works), so he would have to perform a complete and unconvincing volte face to introduce his new theory.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,795
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

[ducks]
    "Engineering" these days is like "analysis": it covers so many fields it's now imprecise - there's civil (bridges), electrical/later electronic (circuit boards and chip design), software (writing code) chemical (stuff involving test tubes?), genetic/biological (probably monsters?) and god knows what else...

... I've just googled it. Aaargh!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

Quite right. That any proportion of experts support it is a dreadful argument for climate change. In 1858 only one biologist believed in evolution. The argument from authority is strictly for shutting people up when they don't know what they are talking about. Or you don't. Or more likely neither of you do.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Why does Plato get a laugh, out of interest?
    Have you forgotten PB's very own Cat Lady?
    Ah.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"It's happening and is a massive problem but the prognosis is more uncertain than those in the industry and the most ardent greens often imply".

"I don't like the sound of it, it's depressing, and I don't like the sort of people who bang on about it, and anyway from what I've read up it doesn't stack up."

How about: the climate is changing , man probably has something to do with it but we’re not sure what and how much. And some of the proposed remedies are just bar shit crazy
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

[ducks]
    "Engineering" these days is like "analysis": it covers so many fields it's now imprecise - there's civil (bridges), electrical/later electronic (circuit boards and chip design), software (writing code) chemical (stuff involving test tubes?), genetic/biological (probably monsters?) and god knows what else...

... I've just googled it. Aaargh!
    Yeah, but Charles has not given any reasons for his assertion that 'engineering' is a science. Does it involve an ongoing process of refining theories and formulating testable hypotheses, for instance? Engineering certainly uses scientific knowledge, but does it itself create such knowledge?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

IanB2 said:

Q

stodge said:

Under PR, possibly. There are plenty of Labour voters looking for a home. Particularly were they to emphasise localism. Under our system, though, they'd just be another spilt of the left vote.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

How about: the climate is changing , man probably has something to do with it but we’re not sure what and how much. And some of the proposed remedies are just bar shit crazy
    I think continuing to pollute record amounts into the only known habitable atmosphere while we figure it out is the most bat shit crazy thing of all.
  • Options

I have a degree in mathematical sciences and a degree in PPE, but I am assuredly unelectable. I needed a masters in economics on top of those to get a decent job.

• Options
    Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

If they weren’t warning of catastrophe ey would t get as much attention
  • Options
    The best argument against student loans is that it screws up birth rates. Successful people can't afford to have kids until their late 30s because they are drowning in debt.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

As someone who studied Aristotle and Plato, it is quite noticeable how often you hear their ideas repeated on PB. They pretty much had all the main points covered.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

It's so that a barrier to the children of that ASDA worker going to uni is removed.

If uni is free at point of delivery to all who are intellectually equipped for it - funded out of general taxation - this would lessen class privilege.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gabs2 said:

Indeed.

That’s not the convention
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Gabs2 said:

Indeed.

Except that convention is the PM faces a General Election not that they resign.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

The best argument against student loans is that it screws up birth rates. Successful people can't afford to have kids until their late 30s because they are drowning in debt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E&list=PLRXRFwJIZgetDjmcwLCO5aqLZl1ApBBEY&index=2&t=0s
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Except that's not true. If someone in their 20s takes time off working then they don't repay their student loan.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Gabs2 said:

Indeed.

That’s not the convention
    Your irony meter needs recalibrating.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

IanB2 said:

Q

stodge said:

No.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks to Cyclefree for another withering piece on the state of affairs. I was reasonably involved in this as an MP - toured the local prison, had a detailed briefing on another, and help write the Justice Select Committee paper on the relative costs and benefits of different kinds of investment in the justice system, based on international experien ce - for what it's worth the thing I'm most proud of doing in my 13 years in the Commons.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmjust/94/9402.htm

Simulating a Tory of the old-fashioned "spend wisely" kind for a moment (before the current team adopted mock-Keynesian economics), which of the problems that Cyclefree identifies would she (or others) give priority to allocating money for? I appreciate that some just need changes in attitude, but others really require substantial sums. Would there be anything we should give up on (e.g. never imprison anyone for less than a year)?

IMO short sentences are pointless. So I would give up on those. There was some good work on this being done by David Gauke, before he resigned. I would also do more in the rehabilitation field: so many offenders come from care homes, are illiterate etc. Spending money teaching them skills is a worthwhile investment.

There is much more scope for efficiencies in the court process, which would also help. But if you want a proper justice system, you need to pay for it. If you get caught up in the criminal system, you are effectively dependant on the kindness of others. It is grotesque and makes a mockery of the rule of law.

And thanks for the Select Committee report. I will read it with interest.
    Please don't give up on short sentences.

I couldn't bear it if everyone on PB starting writing in the style of Henry James. e.g from The Golden Bowl (plucked at random) "This establishment, mysterious and almost anonymous, the windows of which, at hours of highest pressure, never seemed, for starers and wonderers, perceptibly to glow, must in fact have been during certain years the scene of an unprecedented, a miraculous white-heat, the receipt for producing which it was practically felt that the master of the forge could not have communicated even with the best intentions." Unreadable.
    :)
    Avoid Proust.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

That’s actually an argument *for* student loans for many environmentalists, who are desperately looking for methods to reduce reproduction.
  • Options

New thread

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Gabs2 said:

Except that's not true. If someone in their 20s takes time off working then they don't repay their student loan.
    Yes exactly. The repayment system means that we are nothing like the US where people genuinely can't afford good universities. It effectively functions like a tax on the individual rather than a loan repayment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

This sounds as if it might be verging dangerously close to my reprehensible second category. But would need some too and fro before concluding that for certain.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,626
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

Would that qualify?

[ducks]
    Chemical Engineering is definitely NOT a science!!!

I'm not a bloody chemist!
  • Options
    - “How acceptable or unacceptable would the following be to you?
    A Brexit where the UK has a clear break from the EU.”
    (net unacceptable)

Wales +58
    N Ireland +51
    Scotland +44
    South of England +30
    Midlands +25
    North of England +21
    London +19

SNP-voters +88
    Lib Dem-voters +82
    PC-voters +62
    Green-voters +53
    Lab-voters +36
    Con-voters -12
    Brexit Party-voters -94

UK total +28

https://www.opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/VI-08-08-19-Tables.xlsx

Con and Bxp voters clearly out of synk with the entire UK.
  • Options

Quite right. That any proportion of experts support it is a dreadful argument for climate change. In 1858 only one biologist believed in evolution. The argument from authority is strictly for shutting people up when they don't know what they are talking about. Or you don't. Or more likely neither of you do.

But given most people are not equipped to opine with authority on matters pertaining to any branch of science, how can they sensibly hold a view that is at odds with the one held by the vast majority of practitioners?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Is it a guessing game?

And the fact that’s not happening, despite the obvious rewards, indicates no such evidence exists.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

But yes - I'll hedge with you Malky - 10 GBP ? Does Ptp still play in a role in this or has he retired?

I am happy to have it between you and I Briskin, I will send you a PM
    "between you and me"
    None of your fake English , between me and Briskin, but I am happy to have bet with you as well.
    It's "between you and me", even in Scottish Standard English!
    You say tomato , I will stick with potato. Suck it up https://genius.com/One-direction-you-and-i-lyrics
    "You and I" when both are subjects of a sentence. "You and me" when either or both are objects of a sentence.

Is it correct to say this?
    "Malcolm had a bet with you and I."

Or this?
    "Malcolm had a bet with you and me."

Briskin understood perfectly well
    You are still grammatically incorrect.
    Do I give a monkeys chuff?
    Just shows your lack of education.
    Hmmm, bet I earn multiple times what you do and not had a days unemployment in my life , so what does that say about your great education.
    nothing
    Shut his pompous mouth up at least
This discussion has been closed.